Let's have a (mostly) casual MTG/Magic the Gathering Thread

Davroth

So since the other MTG related thread I found was very strictly about deck discussion, I thought a more general thread would be fun. Surely there's some other nerds around here who enjoy that game. 

Ive been getting back into casual magic hardcore after I left, I mostly play EDH/Commander, and it's the perfect format for me. Lots of fun! Maybe someone here would like to play me on xMage sometime? :)

Lets get the ball rolling with something recent! A new Emrakul was spoiled just this Monday, the flying tentacle monster lives on and messes with your opponent's turn. Don't look very competitive but it does look like fun to play around with!

1YJK1vW.png

It's been a good long while since I've had the chance to really play MTG. Living in a small town with no one to really play with and no way to get somewhere TO play...aaaand not knowing anyone nearby who does anyway, and all that. But I do check out recent cards now and then, and I've grown partial and fearful of this guy.
462740_1.jpg

24 minutes ago, Rosewind said:

Ouch, that card looks vicious! I have a buncha old cards I've been looking at getting rid of since I don't play as much any more -- any suggestions for that?

In the US? Really depends. If you just want to get rid of the cards, you could just sell them as package on Ebay. But if you want to get what the cards are worth (No clue what kind of cards you got), I hear good things about TCG Trader, but I never used it, we got our own trading website here in Europe, which is actually really comfortable to use. It'd be quite a bit of work to set it all in, depending how many cards you got!

11 minutes ago, Dubstep said:

It's been a good long while since I've had the chance to really play MTG. Living in a small town with no one to really play with and no way to get somewhere TO play...aaaand not knowing anyone nearby who does anyway, and all that. But I do check out recent cards now and then, and I've grown partial and fearful of this guy.
462740_1.jpg

I'm not a huge fan of the Eldrazi, however, the spoilers and preview images for the next set look really promising! They are going full cosmic horror with a side of body horror, which I absolutely love! XD

Ulamog is a very powerful card, though! He's kind of a beast.

Have you ever heard of xmage? It's one way to play magic online with others for free.

3 minutes ago, Dubstep said:

I have not actually. I used to use Cockatrice, but I THINK that got C&D'd?...But then it's still up but...Idk xD I may check that out though =3

67577261.jpg

Far as I know, xmage has been around quite a while now without a C&D, so I guess it should be fine to use! Cockatrice is still around too from what I know.

6 hours ago, Davroth said:

I'm not a huge fan of the Eldrazi, however, the spoilers and preview images for the next set look really promising! They are going full cosmic horror with a side of body horror, which I absolutely love! XD

Ulamog is a very powerful card, though! He's kind of a beast.

Have you ever heard of xmage? It's one way to play magic online with others for free.

Yeah, the Cthulhu Mythos is strong with this one. Although I see they also take much from 'The Thing'. But to be honest, I kind of tired of those eldarzi. Aside from few cards Battle of Zendikar block left me with feeling of....disappointment. Especially when compared with Rise. When you have eldritch abomination you expect a high power level. In Rise even mook drazi were terrifying, but in Battle....not so much. Overall I would say that previous block was....unfocused. And after the sets that leave a bad aftertaste, seeing another Eldrazi block back-to-back is....yeah, no.

As for the Emrakul...kind of disappointing it was her. I kind of hoped it would be Marit Lage instead, because using Ema was the most cliche and predictable thing they could do. But at least the card is good.

It's not Aeons Torn but it's similar enough. First thing first, it was designed so you may actually cast it, and probably without making deal with a devil or cutting an arm and leg.

The Mindslaver part works kind of like her old ability I feel, but with added 'Stop Hitting Yourself' flavor. The fact that opponent gets extra turn means nothing, considering that turn earlier Flying Spaghetti treated him/her with lobotomy, and thrown the play-plan under the grinder.

While the protection the Emarkul gets this time is weaker (kinda, at least you can throw an aura or two on her right now), the adding of trample is appreciated. I seen lot's of times Ema being stopped by a token decks (of the kind that makes around 10 per turn), and such behemoth being stopped by a wasp token was depressing. The lack of Anihilator still hurts. Oh but there's no excuse for being counter-able this time around.

Overall still good. Waiting for Liliana and Tamiyo.

OEIcNKz.jpg

http://cardboard-crack.com/post/133051979981/ulamog

Cardsboard Crack said it best, I think. :P

Id have preferred Innistrad without Eldrazi, however, the direction they take it I have no problem with. The preview material we got so far looks decent, I have hopes that even if the cards are not amazing, the flavor seems to be right up my alley. 

Being an old school Magic girl, the sheer OPness of some of these cards is mind blowing. I stopped buying cards around the time they redesigned them, so around Mirroden or whatever it's called. 

I would probably get more value from my cards if I sold them individually instead of bulk, but the time investment to do so would be quite a bit. I've also thought of visiting a local card shop and just passing them out to the random people there. Maybe I can start by just organizing them....

22 minutes ago, Rosewind said:

Being an old school Magic girl, the sheer OPness of some of these cards is mind blowing. I stopped buying cards around the time they redesigned them, so around Mirroden or whatever it's called. 

I would probably get more value from my cards if I sold them individually instead of bulk, but the time investment to do so would be quite a bit. I've also thought of visiting a local card shop and just passing them out to the random people there. Maybe I can start by just organizing them....

You know, it's funny. Basically, creatures have become stronger and stronger, while other spells have been getting mostly weaker, with rare exceptions. It's kinda weird! These days, I mostly evaluate cards by if they have a new, unique effect. Those are the cards I have the most fun with.

Organizing is a good first step, totally. If you stopped around Mirrodin, well, you could be sitting on a goldmine, or just a bunch of bulk. There's really no saying unless going through it in detail. I for example sad on a bunch of more or less trash for years before I returned. Which is really funny because I stopped playing the first time when the powerlevel of cards was kind of unprecedented, but I guess I only held onto the bulk rares. XD

• 1 year later...

<Casts Necropotence>

Usually I am not into thread necromancy, but since I am a big Magic fan I fell compelled to spread the news.

We going back folks.

We going home...

800px-DOM_logo.png?version=79b6326f8f019

And surprise surprise, this is legendary set. You can't throw a stone here and not hit a familiar face....speaking about he familiar faces....

Spoiler

Karn is back....as expected of course. Guess he's cleaning after himself.

Jaya is also back...and now she's a cool old lady.

As is Teferi...although he apparently cheated and he's still as fresh as ever....also somehow a planeswalker once more....:shock:?

Jhoira is back....as a captain of Weatherlight. How is ol' flying schooner back is anyone guess. Funnily enough Jhoira was an original captain of Weatherlight, before Sissay and her family got the job.

Speaking of Weatherlight crew...big applause for Squee who is as unkillable as ever.

Oh and on more personal note. Jodath finally got his own card. About freaking time...

Honestly I prefer Jaya to Chandra. While Miss Nalaar is certainly a hot head (pun intended), she doesn't have the same amount of sharp wit that Ballard has. We shall see if 'The Task Mage' has the same amount of snark as before.

Also, we still have the half of the cards to see, but isn't it's safe to say that pretty much the whole set appears to be Commander fuel?

Archived