An unexpected Crash... (OPEN!)

Ashton

Vector #328 - Daring Do #7 by DashieSparkle

The doors to the ponyville foals hospital hissed open as a light brown flank slowly backed out, waving inwards as she did, the sound of foals clapping and cheering was heard from inside as the familiar pony bowed and smiled, promising them she'd be back again soon.

There was a huge grin plastered across the mare's face as she walked away, under her wing was the latest Daring Do book "Always so awesome" she said quietly, even if she didn't want to always admit it, she absolutely loved reading to the foals at the hospital. As she walked, almost skipping, she soon shifted to flying, having no idea what lurked around the corner...

There was the sound of a tree limb snapping back into place, and then a bad crash... followed by a second one! a garbage can lid rolled down the street... there was a moment of uneasy hooves, then they took off galloping...

On the nearby wall was a perfect outline of the pegasus who had been catapulted into the wall by the large tree branch, and below it were some garbage cans which had... cushioned her fall... she was lying there completely dazed, moaning a little... 

((Now just what is going on here... or maybe we should ask "WHO'S THAT POKéMON PONY?!"))

Pathfinder.png

Why was Pathfinder in Ponyville?
You ddin't need a reason to be in Ponyville. You needed a good reason not to be in Ponyville! All of the cool things happened here and made Pathfinder think that under the town there must be some sort of aether-manipulating and centered relic that caused everything to go all wack-goofy. It didn't hurt that it was a center for transportation and you could reach anywhere you wanted and it bordered the Everfree, which was the best thing sevenever! Too bad the whole town hadn't been turned into one huge temple with no-stop traps. That would be much cooler.

Not as cool as why she was super honestly here, however. Her wife had told her all about some sort of patent she had made for some magitech doohickey, but that the papers had gotten lost in Ponyville. It sounded kinda boring but if you had somepony willing to steal tech, you had sompony willing to steal relics. And so while she recovered something for her wife, Pathfinder was really hoping to find out if they were planning to go anywhere cool to steal stuff. Then she could time her arrival there and it would be a cool adventure race for the win.

So as she wandered around, poking her nose into things pleasantly(to her), she wasn't expecting the sound of a crash from a nearby alleyway. She was in the middle of downing a ten pack of Apples which she finished with a nasty flourish, stuffing six in at once as she flew over. What she saw: A pretty good cosplayer of the best character ever smacked into a wall. Pathfinder approached.

"BURRRRP!" she said- well, not said, burped- as she approached, "Well, not bad and all. The tail has a few missed splotches and the coloration is solid but some details not there. Overall, 9/10! So, what did that wall do to you? Steal your fillyfriend? Note to you- walls don't go down easily!" She guffawed, because she was really super funny. Really. Funny.

The peasus slowly rolled her eyes to look at the new arrival "what?" she asked "what about my tail?" she shook her head as she pushed herself up "where am I? This doesnt look like saddlearabia..." there was genuine confusion in her eyes "Who are you? I'm looking for omething very important, is there perhaps a university around here that I can speak with the historean? I hope I'm not too late..." she was clearly acting out some story from daring do, however, the confusion is her reactions seemed to be 100% genuine, not an act at all (or else an absolutely *perfect* act --- but then that was almost crazy to expect from what was 'obviously' an amature to pathfinder... which would no doubt leave the mare with the question of exactly who this pegasus before her was and what was going on...

Pathfinder.png

Pathfinder had eyes rolled at her s often that the not so nice implication was left by the wayside and forgotten by her, because who could possibly roll their eyes at the very pinnacle of adventuring goodness based on the greatest and bestest adventurer this side of the world? Any eye rolling said more about the pony doing it. They obviously couldn't get over how just perfect she looked, more than a decade of day in, day out experience leading her to look the very best for the best sort of mares. But that was a relatively minor part of today's ensemble Obviously this crash had disoriented the other mare, but it was nice to see such a devotion to character from cosplayers! Rarer than you thought!

She was really pulling material from Daring Do and the Saddle Arabian Sunrise Snatch, one of the more recent adventures. It had some cool parts but the mystery was a bit obtuse and so it wasn't the most popular, but if you asked Pathfinder it was obviously part of something bigger and you needed to wait to appreciate it! Someponies would retort that it was Pathfinder's reply to everything that wasn't top notch for Daring Do. And they'd be right because Pathfinder knew that Daring Do never was anything less than awesomesauce. So this mare was devoted to being in character and that was fine by Pathfinder. She'd play along! Most ponies didn't even bother. The only other ponies who would be in character were fillies and colts, and she had to stop bringing them to razor-wire equipped dungeons. 

"University around this town? I don't think so. There's the castle of course but not a university. We could go to Saddle Arabia, but there is a fierce crosswind- if you're scared of them-" she had to stifle a giggle, as she tried to imagine how to fit what she was doing in with what Daring Do would need to do in the Sunrise Snatch, "of course, I'm looking for the Obsidian Gauntlet, tracked it down to Ponyville. Do yoooou think it has anything to do with the Sunrise Queen?" She asked, lofting a softball up to 'Daring Do'. Yay for being in character!

The pegasus rolled her eyes "Crosswinds are hardly more than an annoyance" she said, clearly wanting to say something else... but she didn't know what... she knew she had something there to brag about but she couldn't quite remember it!

The figure paused, rubbing her chin in thought "It depends on which legends your talking about, if your talking about the legend of the gauntlet giving you great physical strength and the legend of the pegasus sunrise queen, then I highly doubt it since pegasi are never too interested in brute strength" she smirked a tiny bit "same for the unicorn sunrise queen, if it cant amplify magic she wouldn't care about it... though if your talking about the legend of the gauntlet that can grab a pony's essence and steal it away, I think any of them might be tempted by that, even the non-unicorns..."

and of course the great thing about vague artifacts and legends was if you made up enough trots on the spot, *something* would be right! she honestly had no idea what pathfinder was talking about, but she wasn't about to discourage her!

Pathfinder.png

Well, this was not what Pathfinder had expected at all! Here she was quoting the Sunrise Snatch to start with and then she went and lost the plot. The Obsidian Gauntlet was designed to give the wearer immortality through the regeneration of their body whenever they were harmed or aged. The Sunrise Queen, a leader of a breakaway separatist Prench cult-nationality movement, wanted to find it. Of course it had been hidden way deep in Saddle Arabia, and in trying to find it she had stumbled upon the Staff of Fate and other powerful relics that had been hidden by the Saddle Arabians of ages past. Daring Do had to stop her before she figured out how to connect all of them, and the only time she could do it was at the Saddle Arabian Expo, where she thought the final piece of the puzzle lay. Truth be told it wasn't one of her better stories and all the callbacks had her thinking that she was pulling too much together to make a good story while she recovered from a 'windstorm accident' during travel to Seaddle.

But it was still fun and it was somewhat unusual that this mare wasn't wanting to play to the script. That was okay! Pathfinder didn't mind fanfiction, not one bit. She was the best at the fanfiction! She read it all the time and wrote it just as often. So if this mare wanted to go off the beaten path and rearrange some things to make the narrative more interesting, she wasn't gonna judge her. Okay. So let's go with the second option. "Well yeah, the Obsidian Gauntlet is the one that steals souls and locks it in the-" quick thinking, "-Obsidian Soul Cage, where the wearer can communicate with all those locked up at his or her leisure but they are forever trapped! And of course if the Sunrise Queen is STILL trying to usurp Celestia's power, what better way than to trap HER in the Gauntlet!" Pathfinder said with great excitement. This would be fun!

Snowfall's Magitech doohickey would make for a nice stand-in for the Gauntlet, and the Sunrise Queen whoever had taken it. That would make it super easy for Pathfinder! But there was always a nice chance that the other cosplayer would no-sell this idea and they'd do something else, which Pathfinder was fine with as long as they were doing something. Maybe later after she dropped the act Pathfinder could give her tips on a better cosplay job and read her the latest book so she could be caught up on all the hip new lingo for Daries. 

Now 'daring' gave path a hard look "obcidian soul cage? That's obviously a myth, the whole reason the gauntlet drives you insane is you hear the souls inside your head screaming constantly" it was a little chilling how quickly 'daring' came up with these things, either she'd spent a lot of time thinking about them, or she had a very morbid mind... after all it would be silly to assume that for a moment she saw into an alternate reality and saw a version of herself with the same curse and knew how it worked.

"Wait, so your saying that gauntlet is in the ancient ruins under ponyville!?" exclaimed the pegasus. Were there ancient ruins under ponyville? maybe she was thinking of the everfree, whatever, her head was kinda fuzzy right now, actually it was always fuzzy since she was a pony with fur, and FOCUS!

She shook her head "If that artifact is here we need to find it, it cant fall into the wrong hooves, or hands, or claws!"

Pathfinder.png

Pathfinder tssk tssk tssk'd her way into tsskyville, population tssk, when this Daring Do impersonator called something a myth. A myth? A MYTH!? Daring Do made a living off of myths! Silly pony needed to re-calibrate her Daringness and her Doingness before she fell off the map completely! Especially with the second part were she seemed to confirm what Pathfinder was saying and still disagree with her. Well okay weirdo! What did she have, some form of brain damage? Did she smack her head against a wall too- oohhh. Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh. Okay! This all made sense now. She must have had one heck of a concussion. Well, when she got all better maybe she'd collect her thoughts better. "Oh, that sounds more right. Silly me and my soul cage!" She chortled, more excited about part two of this talk.

Now this was more like it. Were there ancient ruins under Ponyville? Maybe! Back in olden times, in the long long ago, the area where Ponyville lay was the meeting point between the Whitetail Woods and the Everfree. Until the Everfree receded and the area marked for a town, small border forts guarded the Equestrian Whitetail from the Wild Everfree. Who knows what long lost scrolls and relics were kept there, as a waystation for weary travelers, explorers, and military alike? "Oh yeah, that's what I'm thinking. Right under this town in olden times was Fort Frecklestar, where they used to imprison those that were doing dark and dangerous things in the Everfree. And with the recent passage of the Obsidian Cult through here- well, that tells me one thing! So, whatcha think? Where do you think we can find the entrance?"

• 5 weeks later...

"daring" clearly could tell she was being insulted, though before she coudl comment, Pathfinder moved on, and the other pegasus almsot cringed "really? your a full meal here, ham, Cheese, and corn" she said "but yeah, lets go, I think I know where the cave entrance is... um... um... somone... I dont remember... somone showed me where it was a while back..." her mind was clearly at war between her own memories and those of daring, and it was questionable which would win out when Dash forgot about somepony as important to her as scootaloo...

they made theri way along the edge of town, Daring stopped jsut a moment to stare at fluttershy's cottage, once again an internal battle over which side of ehr mind would win... and again it seemed daring do won...

none the less they continued into the forest, they could see the river that served as the divider for part of the way, and they could see where it went underground...

Pathfinder.png

This was one strange bird! Well technically she was one strange pegasus, but who was correcting? It didn't take much of a doctor to figure out her bug-eyed seeming disconnection with her words and attitude was the result of some head issues. She should know, she had lots of issues! Her doctors always cautioned her that she was just one brain scar away from serious issues, but they were simply scared! She was the bestest and coolest adventurer. Concussions, skull fractures, brain bruising and reactions- it was all part of the deal she had signed and this filly adventure wanna be wanted to be the very best like no one ever was she needed to brain-pain her way through this.

They made their way to the location, which fit well enough. Maybe. Who knew? you adventured to adventure and part of that was wallowing in the glory of your ignorance as much as it could be the satisfaction of knowledge glowingly confirmed. But now the next step was making sure that 'Daring' got her head wrapped around what the goal was. Pathfinder didn't need to have somepony who couldn't string three words together causing disaster inside of a super cool ruin, head injury or not. “Alright, I think that's it. Well Daring, you ARE the greatest adventurer of all time! Lead on!”

Archived