World of Equestria: The Age of Heroes!

Pretzelparty

On 9/15/2016 at 7:16 PM, Ciraxis said:

A new app from me, this time I present a new trouble-maker for all boy/girls scouts out there. Although I am unsure if I shouldn't add a Personality section.

Name: Marea Alta II Da Cirrara.....or more widely known as Captain High Tide, The Half-Ghost

Physical Description: Lithe, athletic and very attractive pegasus mare. Tide is white coated  with a fiery orange and dresses like a pirate captain from three centuries ago (well because she is) but quite a bit more...fabulous, thanks to her skills at sewing.. However the most distinguishing features are really impressive (and some say ridiculous) hat. Big, round and with numerous exotic feathers, rings and badges adorning it. Other is a scar running athwart under her eyes. While noticeable  it's not disfiguring, and some say it adds to her natural charm. Finally there is a birthmark on inner side of her left hind leg, one that looks like a half of ship's wheel

High Tide's cutie mark is crossed cutlass and sewing needle.

Powers: Most of the time Captain Da Cirrara is a normal pony. But as her nickname implies, Hight Tide posses ghost-like powers thanks to the curse that gone not according to plan. She isn't the only one who has them, so does her whole crew and even her ship - but she definitely has the most proficiency with them. When she wills so, she can become incorporeal, avoiding attack and moving through objects and living beings, unless they protected by special kind of magic. Pirate mare can't truly be destroyed (and same goes for her lackeys and vessel). If damaged when a flesh and blood, she will simply repair herself in her ghostly state - even if her physical bod was obliterated. Although it will take more time the more damage was dealt. This is because curse returns everything to the state it was when the curse took effect. That means that aside from above, supplies replenish itself, the pistol can by reloaded by mere moment of incorporeality and that while pirates age when 'alive' their youth is restored the moment they become ghost. High Tide came to appreciate the last fact greatly. While they still eat and drink, this is mostly because they can feel both thirst and hunger - the certainly won't die from lack of either.

While those traits are shared by whole crew of Red Swan can do all of the above, High Tide experimenting with her cursed state caused her to discover other...capabilities.

For example when barred entry by magic, she can still bypass by turning herself into smoke-like state, and slithering through tight spaces like keyhole or crack in the floor.

Also when she passes through the living being (or part of it's body) she leaves it (or part of it) paralyzed for around minute. Aside from that Tide is also incredible shot with either flintlock or blunderbuss. She is even able to be fire bullets in a ghastly state, making them solid only after passing through armor or other protection and she happens to be excellent shot. Her sword-skills are also nothing so coff at. Having time for over three centuries of practice can make you very, very good at stabbing other with sharp steel. Tide can also enter otherponies dreams when she is a ghost. However she can only do so to the ponies that are literally at hoof-length proximity, and in case they wake up during her infiltration, she risks being trapped in Dreamworld until they fall asleep again.

Red Swan, High Tide ship is a massive flying galleon, built from the wood stolen by her ancestors from viking caribou (hence it's ability to fly) and finally put together by Tide's grandfather. She inherited it from her pops when she impressed him with her quick wit and competence and being appointed his successor. The vessel was affected by the same curse as the crew was, but since the ship is an object and thus non-sentient it can only become incorporeal when Tide wishes so. Wherever Half-Ghost is, her ship is guaranteed to be nearby. As such she always has a great deal of firepower whenever she needs it. Additionally anypony and anything that remains on the ship for too long (around two weeks of a time)  will be subjected to the curse as if it was with Red Swan and pirates from the very start.

Weakness: Anything an anyone with power that can deal with ghost can drive her off when when she isn't flesh and blood. While Tide can't really be harmed, spells that damage ghost give her a great amount of pain, and she was sealed in magical prison in the past. And despite everything Red Swan is just a one ship, no matter how undestroyable it is.
History:

Reveal hidden contents

Notable Allies: Her crew, duh! All of the mares one High Tide ship are loyal to the point they would die for her. Not that they are in risk of doing so. Also. since she is legendary pirate, she has no problem of rallying other corsairs under her flag, even in this age.

Notable Enemies: High Tide robbed everyone equally! However a certain Sunlight Sentinel earned Half-Ghost.... ire. For locking her up. In a bottle. FOR THREE HUNDRED YEARS!

Notable Nobility: You find the good Captain Tide in most history books you pick up Nowadays however not so much. High has all intention of changing this, even if she's unsure how she do it yet.

On 9/15/2016 at 10:42 PM, DerpRavener said:

That weakness doesn't seem to be much of a weakness.  It doesn't even level the playing field, let alone incapacitate or threaten the character.  And it doesn't seem like it would be that significant weakness anyways as, since this is a superhero AU I'd expect that most of the powers that could affect ghosts would be just as effective, if not more, against flesh and blood targets.

Maybe it's just the way it reads, but I'm really not a fan of Cpt High Tide.  Her powerset seems to be to render herself immune to attacks, and to undo anything that's done to her.  And in one place even a way she can get around things which should be able to stop or at least seriously hamper her.  Further It seems like she gets a load of benefits from her 'curse', and nothing that actually makes it undesirable.  Not strictly a problem in itself, but she already as a load of advantages and no real weaknesses, so that struck me.

Maybe it could work better if she didn't seem so capable before her powers get involved at all.  There are plenty of characters who are incredibly successful with just the physical abilities High Tide seems to have, and no magic whatsoever, so having both seems a little ridiculous to me.

Maybe you have some plan for her that will put all of these abilities in a better context than I'm imagining, such as plans for her as a high-end villain or a looming, distant threat, but right now she doesn't seem like an interesting villain to follow or have any of my heroes face.

Of course this is just my commentary/rambling, and so doesn't really impact whether she's accepted or rejected.  I just wanted to voice my thoughts.

Really most of the problems with Captain High Tide , DErpravener has voiced rather excellently. If you are sure about really wanting to play this but, remember that since we don't have many 'ghost based' heroes around as of yet so that limits possible threads with her. Please respond to this when you can. :)

Name: Bevel "Rivette" Gear

Powers: Bevel's status as one of the empowered has been subject of debate as the only manifestation of feats that could be considered superequine would be her impressive intellect,  perception and capacity for memory and knowledge. Unlike a majority of scientists and tech based ponies of this era she doesn't refer to herself as a heroine in any sense but she has helped out the superhero community multiple times and has worked with the Sentinel's academy as a researcher and developer of equipment for many heroes who require help either controlling or honing their powers to better effect. One of her most notable cases was the invention of a sturdy suit for one of the students whose powers were gravity based... however constant use of them in any capacity made her nauseous, especially when used on herself to simulate flight. Bevel's creation allowed her body to acclimate to this and not be bothered by the changes of gravity around it and allowed the hero to pursue her career. 

In addition to her endeavor's with the academy, Bevel has made multiple contributions to the magitech advances of the modern age and has even been making great strides in the fields of prosthetics and Golemancy of the modern day. One of the most popular creations she has made have been tech golems, many of which have worked alongside multiple police departments in Equestria as artificial enforcers of the peace and some more bulky, but powerful ones that were the product of a joint effort between her and other companies to provide the Sentinel's academy suitable protectors when the most influential hero in the world was away. For obvious reasons, Bevel has created multiple Artificial enforcers who work alongside her in various forms and shapes with only one she has made not being released to assist the public.

Her work in magitech prosthesis has been a very reliable and has changed the lives of many creatures in Aquellia and Equestria a like, it was thanks to her skill and knowledge in this field that allowed her and other scientists to save the life of a Friend: ZELDA. 

Backstory: Born to a pair of ponies in Equestria: one a mage and the other a... former mad genius thief turned engineer post rehabilitation, Bevel has had more than a few curious experiences in her life, from her aunt being a mad pirate queen constantly trying to convince her to join the family business, to having to deal with interdimensional monsters, horrors, and abominations that lurk and shamble in the dark corners of the mind and reality... and even leaving the bounds of the planetoid that Equestria and other continents call home. 

Her childhood was spent heavily in the company of intelligent and influential minds in the world through good connections was taught by more than a few of them. With her sharp mind she proved a talented mare in the magitech field and began to put it to use in various fields in whatever could satisfy an almost glutinous mad curiosity that lied inside her. Eventually her curiosity took her to the field of the force that empowers the majority of heroes of the world and separates natural , species based powers: Overmagic. Her desires to understand this phenomenon brought her to the academy to where she made a name for herself as a sort of "Smithy" in the media as a mare who hones and equips heroes of both young and old eras to live up to their potential. At one point she had been given the nickname of "Rivette" After a picture of her wielding a rivet gun bearing the mark of a prench manufacturer and working on one of the academy's custodians and after that... that was the closest she came to being an out and out hero but she did trademark the term and used it for her company and named it "Rivette Revolutions" and even made a mascot in a costume with a signature item she wears on her head: A checkerboard patterned top hat with the image of an industrial Rivet emblazoned on the front.

Allies:

Regularly works with Machina at the academy, usually providing him with support in a few endeavors. 

Is a close friend to ZELDA after the... incident that put the griffin in her current state. Bevel hopes to one day perfect the ultimate prosthetic body to allow the griffin a chance to touch and feel like her old self again. 

While not so much allies, Bevel's personal squad of assistant artificial enforcers are often at her side and assisting her in various projects.

Villains: None at the moment but the spot is open for any who'd like to be her nemesis.

Notability:

Bevel is a mare of high profile, but rare public appearance. Despite seeming a genuinely cheerful and exciteable pony she tends to enjoy speaking to others through magical holofeeds or through letters or the like with few exceptions being made. While this has made talking to her difficult for member of the press she has been more than willing to offer her help to students at the academy or civilians who need help as a result of the collateral damage some empowered fights can cause. She has her fans among the populace but she has never made the same level of popularity as some of her costume clad colleagues have as of yet.

• Like 1

So. That thread I'm making. I think I can squeeze in two more heroes. I know Pretzel is in and Bramble has no choice in the matter. Plus me is 3. 

So I can do 5, for those of you who don't mind the storyteller (me) jerking you around for the sake of drama and adventure. 

Bonus points if you can guess which JLA comic this will be based on. 

34 minutes ago, Kirby Krackle said:

So. That thread I'm making. I think I can squeeze in two more heroes. I know Pretzel is in and Bramble has no choice in the matter. Plus me is 3. 

So I can do 5, for those of you who don't mind the storyteller (me) jerking you around for the sake of drama and adventure. 

Since Bevel helped create  'Z.E..L.D.A', I wouldn't mind at least one RP with her. So add me in if you can....

1 hour ago, Kirby Krackle said:

Given that Machina does owe quite a bit to his cousin, I wouldn't mind joining.

Alright, duckies. Thread is up. So we're clear, the roster is Flash Mob, the Rainboom Centurian, Avant Guard, Z.E.L.D.A. and Machina.

So we're doubly clear, expect to be messed with. Not put into an unwinnable situation by an overpowered OC, mind you. You're superheroes. You're supposed to win. But it's not going to be easy. So think creatively.

Prometheus_New_Earth_007_zps0oeahspe.jpg

• Like 1

I don't know if I'd so much want to play this, but it feels like a perfect low level antagonist to beat on.

Superhero/Supervillain Name:

The Super Unstoppable Cider Squeezy 10,000!!! 

Powers:
An enormous automaton, the Cider Squeezy is as big as house, with all the
strength it’s mass would imply.
Armed with a high pressure cider canon, a massive vacuum capable of uprooting whole trees and sealing up ponies into barrels, the Cider Squeezy has become a menace to every orchard, vineyard, garden, and farm in Equestria. Crafted from Timberwolf bark, it’s destruction has always proven temporary, reforming time and again with only one mission: to juice every fruit and vegetable it can and drown pony kind in it.

Alias: Squeezy or 10,000

Backstory: The infamous mad scientists Flim and Flam created the 10,000 in the hopes of becoming the most successful cider salesman in Equestria. But their attempts to make an ever more powerful machine lead to creating something not even they could control, the 10,000 burst from their hidden lair to follow it’s main operatives. 1) Create cider and 2) Sell said cider. Unfortunately, as most ponies run screaming, it goes into sample mode and begins spraying them with ‘samples’ of it’s product. Honest offers to buy the cider will temporarily stop it’s rampage as it fills barrels and extends a small change drawer to collect bits. While capable of learning, Squeezy is rather slow, and it would take a very patient pony to put the robot onto a less destructive set of mission parameters.

Notable Allies: The Flim Flam Brothers, on occasion, have lead the Squeezy toward an area to create havoc, then take advantage of those suffering.

Notable Personal Villains:

Almost certainly Applejack.

General Notability:

In some ways a benchmark punching bag, the Cider Squeezy, while very destructive, is not very dangerous to heroes who have taken it on. While novice heroes may find themselves drenched in cider or caught in a barrel, the Cider Sqeezy’s main victim is local agriculture, and occasionally surrounding buildings. The Squeezy does fight back when under pressure, and has a limited vocabulary, usually monosyllabic. “Juice!” “Sale?” “Barrel!” “Smash!”

15 hours ago, Kirby Krackle said:

I double checked, and no, I wasn't clear! My thread is up! It's called Help Wanted.

Go crazy.

Are others still allowed to join?

• 4 weeks later...

After a couple months of work, I finally feel ready to present Bahamut and Rosetta! (Presented ala an App for the AU Character section as to save...SO much space.)

I'll also make note that I've got a version of Dark Core as well.

• Like 2

On 10/8/2016 at 1:35 AM, MidnightMask said:

I don't know if I'd so much want to play this, but it feels like a perfect low level antagonist to beat on.

The Super Unstoppable Cider Squeezy 10,000!!! 

Powers:
An enormous automaton, the Cider Squeezy is as big as house, with all the
strength it’s mass would imply.
Armed with a high pressure cider canon, a massive vacuum capable of uprooting whole trees and sealing up ponies into barrels, the Cider Squeezy has become a menace to every orchard, vineyard, garden, and farm in Equestria. Crafted from Timberwolf bark, it’s destruction has always proven temporary, reforming time and again with only one mission: to juice every fruit and vegetable it can and drown pony kind in it.

Alias: Squeezy or 10,000

Backstory: The infamous mad scientists Flim and Flam created the 10,000 in the hopes of becoming the most successful cider salesman in Equestria. But their attempts to make an ever more powerful machine lead to creating something not even they could control, the 10,000 burst from their hidden lair to follow it’s main operatives. 1) Create cider and 2) Sell said cider. Unfortunately, as most ponies run screaming, it goes into sample mode and begins spraying them with ‘samples’ of it’s product. Honest offers to buy the cider will temporarily stop it’s rampage as it fills barrels and extends a small change drawer to collect bits. While capable of learning, Squeezy is rather slow, and it would take a very patient pony to put the robot onto a less destructive set of mission parameters.

Notable Allies: The Flim Flam Brothers, on occasion, have lead the Squeezy toward an area to create havoc, then take advantage of those suffering.

Notable Personal Villains:

Almost certainly Applejack.

General Notability:

In some ways a benchmark punching bag, the Cider Squeezy, while very destructive, is not very dangerous to heroes who have taken it on. While novice heroes may find themselves drenched in cider or caught in a barrel, the Cider Sqeezy’s main victim is local agriculture, and occasionally surrounding buildings. The Squeezy does fight back when under pressure, and has a limited vocabulary, usually monosyllabic. “Juice!” “Sale?” “Barrel!” “Smash!”

Oh god I'm so sorry I thought I'd reviewed this earlier >_<  So long as you have the current AJ player's approval I'm fine allowing this character :) 

3 minutes ago, Ciraxis said:

Just to meke things clear. Are we to still present our applications here, or in AU Characters section?

To be honest I think I'd prefer we did character section in order ot reduce clutter to this thread and allow us to communicate more efficiently.

In regards to 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/15/2016 at 4:14 AM, Dunder said:

The Corroded

"Breath deep, fools!"

Powers:

Chemical - He is able to absorb otherwise toxic chemicals and use them in attacks. Mostly he is able to generate and breath out poisonous gas and able to generate and spew substances corrosive enough to destroy all but tough armor. Because of this, he is also immune to what would normally be a dangerous chemical to other ponies. including controlled substances.

Unusually tough- He is much stronger and able to take more of a beating than most ponies alive. He also does not need sustenance as a normal pony would.

Protective suit- A black suit not designed to protect himself from his environment, but to protect his environment from him. It protects against puncture, abrasion, heat, and magic manipulation. However, it is pretty cumbersome and does cause mobility problems.

Alias:

The conditions of his superpower make him unable to maintain an alias.

Backstory:

There was once a foal born on death's doorstep. So sick, unable to breath on his own or kick his tiny legs. All he could do was fill his mother's heart with fear and desperation.

It is true that vultures circle above the dying. In her vulnerability, she was approached by a doctor who promised to her that her foal's health could be achieved through new, experimental technology. Where he was taken was more of a laboratory than a hospital. The mother, longing for her foal's health eagerly gave her foal away to be treated, to be given a second chance. The second chance the foal received was not of his mother's wish.

She was told two weeks later that her foal was too sick for treatment, and died. In reality, the foal was alive, but barely. The experiment had worked, where he was given a serum that made his body less reliant on organic nutrients, but increased its reliance on more unconventional inorganic ones. He was fed otherwise mildly toxic substances. Like that he survived, but still by a thread.

He reached colthood living day by day, new experiments that destroyed his natural body were disguised as games or yummy new food to guarantee his cooperation. He lived happily, readily accepting what he thought was love by those who he thought had his best interests in mind. He was taken care of, energetic, and overall very happy with a positive outlook on life. This continued until he was a young stallion. With each passing day his body continued to decay. Even though his condition worsened, he maintained his happiness until he eventually died.

He was no use dead, so they chucked his body where they chucked the rest of the waste they wanted to take care of carefully. There, his corpse was washed over with reinvigorating toxicity that acted as a more effective medicine than the original serum he was treated with.

He was discovered days later while the waste was being processed. He was taken back to the laboratory where it was discovered that he did not die of exposure to toxic chemicals. He died because his body was malnourished. The volume of such toxic chemicals he was exposed to in the trash resuscitated him.

With this new revelation, the scientists of the laboratory constructed him a suit. The suit is resistant to abrasion, puncturing, fire, and magic manipulation. On his back is a backpack that cycles out toxic gasses through a pipe attached to his helmet that provides sustenance for his body. He also has a speaker on his suit that processes his voice into a computerized one for others to hear. The front of his helmet can also display text at his choosing. The suit connected to a dome helmet that allowed him to look out, but didn't allow any pony to look in. The last time anypony saw his face was when he put on his suit for the first time.

After his powers were realized, his captors saw the potential they wanted. They attempted to train him to use his powers for evil. Until one day where he refused and managed to break out. Shortly after breaking out, he was apprehended. When questioned on where he came from, he gave the location of where he used to call home only for it to be found completely empty except for a few piles of burned documents.

Notable Allies: None.

Notable Personal Villains: Those who made him this way.

General Notability:

The rumors of the volatility of his powers along with the deponyization of his suit make him frightening to be around, thus he is not viewed in a very positive light. He is generally known as being dangerous, even though his powers are under control until needed. However, his captivity kept his sense of justice more black and white than most heroes. He is still also

Still, he tries to look for the best in life and wants to use his powers for what he believes is good.

I'm sorry this took so long! THis one got caught up in the tide of apps! Approved!

• 3 months later...

I think the character is improved, at least in terms of how they function.  There's at least the potential to catch her when she's relatively weak, for a character with enough luck or planning.

I'm still not a huge fan of how capable she is without her powers, as it seems pretty random/difficult to remove them for how capable she still is, and thus how little one actually gains for it.  But maybe that works for your intended use for her.  Again, if your goal is to have her be a sort of end boss or looming, somewhat distant threat I think she'll work.

Maybe it's just a question of how vaguely certain aspects are defined.  When it says she takes more time and alcohol to recover from obliteration, what's the scale?  Is it worth actually fighting her now (if she's well stocked) because you can force her to take a few days to recover, or would that just change it from say, one second to ten seconds or a minute?  This ends up being the big question for me, as the answer determines whether or not there would be a point in trying to fight her, and thus whether or not it would be worth sending any of my characters against her.

Related question, how much can she do in ghost form, and what's the time scale for swapping between it and flesh and blood?  Minutes, seconds, instant?

In theory one could wear her down until her powers run out, and then she can be hurt like anyone else.  I would prefer if she could actually be harmed by magic/magic-like energy though, while as described it still says she can't actually take damage that way.  The way it reads to me, in order for any of my current heroes to reasonably fight her long term, I would need to invoke some sort of eldritch energy works around her immunities to make combat a reasonable prospect.  Though that is just my perspective on it.

• 2 weeks later...