[Sponsored] The Lounge

Well, seemed nobody cared about her little confession about her sight. That or they didn't figure it out. Oh well, didn't matter either way. 

As Inkbrand got off his stool, she followed suit, stretching a bit before following the sound of him walking out the door. She paused when she heard someone hit the floor, apparently Dusty, but she continued out with a wave as she heard Red go to help. 

Buck, she was looking forward to this. Not that she could actually see these dignitaries or whatever, but sneaking around sounded fun. The bat mare had a smile on her face as she headed after the stallion, he was the most interesting yet. Aside from the changeling, maybe, but she was only up there because she was a changeling. 

[Exit]

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

EJhBYU5.png?1

Zelda could not help but smile as her fuzzy little friend received a few decent and well deserved piles of praise at his hooves. This smile quickly leaped off her beak when discussion of their foes being drawn and quartered! Holy smokes! What century did this gal come from?  And while she was not at this battle, the black griffon knew none of the brave people who fought WRAITH would ever lower themselves to actually torturing or even harming their defeated foes. She silently pondered what ended up with the dirty little so and so's that were captured? While the peons would find themselves in the deepest and darkest of dungeons, those in charge probably would soon be seeing the inside of Tartarus. At least that was for those who did not betray their comrades..

And while the air was thick with political discussions,the black bird was still comfortable as long as she had her little Dunder around. Although plenty of it sounded like a bunch of nerds playing their O&O role playing games. Lots of vengeance being brought upon and all of that. Still, plenty of it was going way over the humble blacksmith's head. With all those words being tossed back and forth, Zelda nearly missed seeing her old colt-friend Inkbrand as he shuffled out of the lounge. "Ah nutbunnies.", she muttered to herself. She really wanted to chat with the silly pony and maybe even catch up on a few things, but it looked like this would not be. At least for now. The big bird could always get her other front leg marked by the artstie stallion.

All this thinking gave her pony pal Dunder enough time to enjoy a few sips of his wine. "Believe me Dee, if she knew, that mare would spend her waking hours shutting those things down.  As for her rich colt-friend, I'm sure he had the best doctors bits can buy and they probably patched him moments after they dragged his hinder out of the arena. Or not. I haven't seen Swift Squall in erm.", she took a sip from cup, "Well, not since before his 'funeral'.

She watched as Dunder made his way towards the Sigrun. The old gal was much bigger than when they had spoken before. Imagine becoming so large. One would have to buy all new clothes and probably furniture as well.  Once there was room to talk, the griffon spoke up, "I beg your pardon, Chieftain, I was curious how your.." The griffon could not remember if the boy was her son? Her brother? "Companion...The younger fellow from before, back in Inky's place..How he fared?"

qgpCREC.png

Martini Paradise very rarely ever had such a frenzied evening working the bar as she had this night of the Grand Galloping Gala.  The unicorn mare had worked a couple galas before, but this year's was by far the busiest.  It had been so hectic she barely had time to talk to anyone past quickly taking and delivering their orders, but now it has finally calmed down enough that she can relax a little and take in the scene around her.  There was such a diversity of species in the lounge, many of which she never seen before outside of pictures! Griffons, Caribou, Saddle Arabians, Zebra, Qilin, Longma, and was that a Changling?! Were they allowed in Equestria now?  Equestrian society was certainly changing quickly!

As fascinated as Martini was in all the various patrons relaxing in the lounge, she couldn't simply mingle with any of them, as she wasn't a guest but an employee, or more precisely a contracted free agent.  Instead of some beautiful gown, Martini had a simple monochrome saddle with white frill that matched the dark bow tie with white collar and small round, brimless cap she was sporting, all part of the standard uniform that each of the hospitality workers wore; she really wished they allow for individual embellishment for she really would have liked to wore something a little more colorful, or at least have a flower in her mane.

Well at least she now had the opportunity to have actual conversations with any sociable customers instead of simply rushing from one to the next in a frantic pace to keep up.  Chatting was Martini's favorite part of being a bartender,it was just a question now if there were any guests who were interested, past galas were notorious for the snobbish patrons, but with such a diverse group this time around, surely some of them were gregarious as she was.

E9VF1tIl.jpg

The Chieftain chuckled heartily as she found herself being lifted in return by Randgrid. Her body was ... a bit heavier than her own the remaining effects of the plague granted her increased strength and weightier muscle. Thankfully though, such muscle wasn't frowned upon back home. The way she wound up getting said extra muscle, was however. Once The princess set her back down, Sigrun smirked a bit at the sigh. "Don't get too used to lifting me, Princess." Chortled the cow, "My mate might grow jealous... than again he may laugh it off once he stops by." 

After letting her cloven hooves enjoy meeting the ground for a few moments, "From what I've been told by the ... um ... professionals who administered my treatment, The curse is too tightly bound within my body to be removed. Other Clans have had to deal with other infectees similarly as after s certain point the plague binds it's magic to the cervidae form too tightly to be fully removed without risking the *Ahem* end of the host. It can however be tamed in time... I have your father to thank partly for allowing me to regain my original look as much as I have now." 

Hearing the curious inflection in Miss Razorclaw's voice Sigrun couldn't help but quirk a brow at her, "I do hope that the other clan's will see that light eventually. WE come from a harsh land full of terrors and dangers and it breeds an attitude of self reliance among many clans... but until they know we would be strongest allied with eachother I will just have to 'convince' the opposing clans. I thank you for your well wishes, Madam Razorclaw." With another swig she put her mug back down. She was going to ask this Griffin a question but it seemed it would have to wait as... None other than one of the very ponies who helped whitescar on of it's darkest days approached.

Dunder was his name! And... hm. The almost wildish looking cow lowered her head and sniffed in his direction. Yep, she could smell liquor on him. His openess to discuss that night probably a result of that but, while it was a bit embarrassing for Sigrun to remark on (and wasn't that the understatement of the night.) She had a duty to keep her best hoof forward, and thanks to Dunder's actions as well as the other operatives, the High king was spared the same condition Sigrun was in... just the though of Rnadgrid's father having become infected. The cow gave a nervous shudder, He'd be a force of nature rather than a great warrior. Back to Dunder however, Sigrun bowed politely. "AS wonderful as the sun princess is, I imagine there are more than a few ponies in your nation who could be considered 'bulkier' than her." 

The Caribou offer a hoof to the grey pegasus, "It's good to see you again, Dunder. How has the Gala been treating you?" The next creature to step forward garnered a rather heated look from her. SIgrun's eye's narrowed at the raven/panther hybrid..."You.." Said the cow in an almost ominous fashion, "You..." And soon she perked right back up with a  wide grin on her face, "You're the artist who sketched me and my ward while we were in Manehattan! Limi is doing well... I've taken him as my son actually. It seems he's leaving the nest already though and has chosen his path..." The Cow sniffled a moment with a look of immense pride on her face, "I'm so proud of him." The chieftain took a moment to re compose herself and laughed with a hint of awkwardness in her voice. "I apologize, Miss Zelda." She bowed her head (minding the antlers), "How have you been faring since I last saw you?"

Naj had to laugh at Inkbrand's parting comment.  “Of course!” she called back playfully as the earth pony was leaving, “that is the most important part after all!”  She returned the wave, before turning back to the ponies who remained at the bar, Inkbrand having vanished off to other parts of the party.  Yiska went with him, which Naj might have otherwise found odd given bat pony's earlier comment about her own eyesight, but Yiska didn't seem to have any trouble sensing the world around her.  So it didn't seem like it would factor in.

Naj had turned just in time to watch Dusty fell out of his chair.  Given the way the evening had been going, her first thought was that he'd had a little too much to drink, and the subsequently overestimated his ability to keep his balance on the stool.  But at first he wasn't moving, and then Red asked the bartender to call a medic before attending to the possibly injured stallion.  Naj's first instinct was to help him, though given that her fiance had already started that process she just to make sure she didn't interfere.  She knew that once someone had taken charge, sticking her nose in would have only complicated matters.

It gave Naj time to think, which in the grand scheme of things was maybe not the best thing.  Dusty didn't seem like he was having any problems until talking to her, specifically until sometime after she pointed out what her species was to the vision-impared unicorn.  There was only one conclusion she felt she could draw from this.

Naj resisted the urge rapidly scan the room.  She was already worried about ponies thinking she willingly caused this, and acting furtive would only make her more suspicious.  She forced herself to settle down, take a few breaths, and only then did she let herself get a carefully casual look at the room.  Fortunately, the scene at the bar didn't seem to have attracted much attention yet, enough participants were focused on their own conversations that they didn't even seem notice what was going on with the her, Red and Dusty.

With the perceived danger passed, Naj breathed out a sigh that was one part relief and one part frustration, as she turned back to the bar.  “Just my bucking luck,” she muttered, to herself more than anyone else, “that the one pony who'd react like that was blind.”  It figured that she'd finally found a venue she was almost comfortable being at out of disguise, and she runs into one of few ponies she'd still catch by surprise.

Naj downed what remained of her cider, and then raised her hoof in an effort to catch the bartender's attention.  “I think I'm gonna need another drink,” she called out, not forcefully but loud enough to have a hope of being heard.

Dusty remained lying down, but he placed his glasses back on when he felt them placed into his hooves. He blinked; He still couldn't see, though that was no different than before, but at least his eyes didn't feel like lava was poured into them. The ringing in his ears died down a little, he had a little bit of hearing.

With a deep breath, he calmed down. He pulsed his horn: Naj and Red were still there. "I am so, so sorry." He said, his voice still a bit shaky. "I've... Been through a lot." He lowered his voice. "I can't talk about it right now, not with this many ponies around." He slowly tried getting up, but he stumbled a bit and found himself back on the floor. "I, uh, I'm going to stay down here for the moment. Could one of you get me another glass of water, please?"

He wasn't sure if he should reveal anything to these two. On one hoof, one of them was a Changeling; He could not let the opportunity to learn about his own culture and heritage slip by. He may not get the chance again.

Though he never revealed himself to anypony, not even his close friend Oaky. Only his mothers knew. While they seemed trustworthy... He wasn't sure he was ready for that major step.

Red blinked, curious as to what exactly Dusty would need to explain, but, the more important issue was that he was still on the floor. Red attempted to help him up when he tried, but when Dusty instead slumped back down again all Red could do was catch him and try to get him in to a somewhat more dignified sitting position instead. Still, the attempt to get up being made indicated that perhaps he was not badly hurt.

"It's okay, no need to try and move just yet." Red replied. After making sure Dusty wasn't about to slump over again, he stood up, looking to the bright pink mare behind the bar. "Could I get another glass of water, please, and are the medics coming soon?"  he asked.

Turning to check on Naj, his face fell a little, as it was obvious Naj wasn't happy about how this had gone. He reached over and patted her hoof, offering a smile as a small piece of comfort for the moment.

Acroneighos had looked at the PMC Reform Act and found it wanting. It was a band-aid to try and treat a sword wound to the gut. Mercenaries were notoriously poor even in the best of times. When your only motivation was coin you were more likely to run from a battle that was going poorly than somepony that was trained and devoted to a cause. That and the pirates worked in such numbers that it was doubtful that all the mercenaries in the world would be able to ensure safety. And then there was the matter of the attacks inside of the land of the Griffon themselves by the pirates and long-ranging caribou. To be honest, the PMC Reform Act was a silly response t a serious problem and if Morianna was as serious as she seemed to be, she'd know that. 

But she wouldn't say that because that would weaken her position. Sky Crack recognized that and even though she shared a knowing smile at the mention of PMCs, she kept silent. She wasn't here to blow down the doors of her nation's diplomacy and mock what 'solutions' they had. Morianna was intelligent. She would be treated as such. "Yes, one would be capable of turning the tide, of that have no doubt. We would raze their pirate haven, haul off the pirates who surrender and eliminate those who do, and destroy anything that flies or floats. Then we would cause salt-rain to pour from the skies, and form a tidal wave to sink what can't be destroyed. Among other things we might consider, of course. Imagine what the griffons could do with clean and clear coasts," she said, allowing the implications to be clear, "though as long as we are stretched in a thousand directions just trying to keep our might spears and bows upright and in the hooves of sturdy pegasi, such fantasies are for dreamers only," he said, allowing Morianna to follow up.

Speaking of follow-up, she was proud to hear that Dunder and his allies had done well in mopping up and removing the weak influences of the hidden enemy. You treated your captives in one of two ways. If they wore the uniforms of a standing army and met you in open battle, then you treat them well and with the honor a true soldier deserves. If they did what these creatures had or were pirates or other vile forces, you put them to the sword unless they surrendered before battle. One of the clearest ways to send a message was by brokering no peace or negotiation, an ultimatum delivered with funerals that could be answered with acquiescence or force. Acroneighos was always unclear on which it preferred. 

"I suppose Equestria will do what Equestria does with those they capture. Acroneighos does not have the food or supplies to care for prisoners when we capture them. Those that fought as part of a standing army brought into open battle against us are normally ransomed back to their kingdom, as per the customs of old, or allowed out of our grasp at promises to never pick up arms again- at the cost of their life if caught once again in uniform. Particularly powerful or useful enemies are offered the chance to join The Great Protective Storm. We draw and quarter the pirates, the secret agents, the traitors and those who operate in the dark so as to hide from the Light. Who you fought who did that, who was responsible for the decimation of Askr? They are creatures of darkness. At least send all of them to Tartarus or some equally secure location. But that is a minor point of contention. I, unlike my brothers and sisters of the Wing back home, know that this land is powerful because of its harmony and traditions. It is a beautiful idea, is it not?"

Speaking of beautiful ideas, Randgrid went ahead and lifted Sigrun. Yes, you could take the Caribou out of the Whitescar but the Whitescar would never leave the Caribou. Feats of strength and such were common tavern events with them! And here was something impressive, since Sigrun was bulkier and heavier than she had been before. Randgrid likewise was stronger than she was before. Very impressive showing by the cow, and why caribou parties were always nice. "Haha, I see your vaunted strength has not failed you here, Randgrid. Tell me, why did you not come to Acroneighos? I think a detachment of caribou warriors trained to fight in the way of Acroneighos would truly put an end to this war, and allow you to put the Red Jarl's head on at least one pike."

Speaking of heads, looked like one of the stallions had lost his balance or taken in too much of the drink and he fell over, much to the alarm of several around him. He seemingly recovered in quick order, but that didn't make the potential any less severe. Sky Crack walked on over, looking at the still wobbly but better perched stallions whom the others called 'Dusty'. "I am Sky Crack of Acroneighos and have been trained in combat medicine. I can suffice for now. Why did he fall? Stallion, is it possible for you to describe how you feel?"

Dusty Tomes recovered, at least to an extent, although it would seem he wasn't ready to leave the floor just yet. The unicorn explained that he'd been through a lot – as if that wasn't obvious already – and apologized for what happened.  “ 'S not like it's your fault...” Naj mumbled vaguely in the unicorn's direction, although she didn't look at him.  Naj knew he couldn't help his own history or his immediate reaction to things, but she doubted she'd be able to deal with another pony like that yet, doubly so on this particular evening.  Red seemed to be taking care of Dusty well enough anyhow, so she could sit this out without issue.

Red also took a moment to pat her hoof after getting a look at her expression.  Naj smiled back at him, his presence was a huge source of comfort and support and she felt validated in her decision to make sure he came along, though it was also clear that it would take her a little time to get back to normal.  She squeezed Red's hoof in hers, and then let him get back to Dusty.

It wasn't long afterwards that a pegasus Naj didn't recognized approached the group, announcing herself as Sky Crack, an Achroneighan pony with training in combat medicine.  Naj had only heard of the place, and her curiosity was enough to rouse her somewhat.  Glancing over, aside from her military background being evident in her physique and stance, Naj didn't notice anything particularly noteworthy.  If there were something to be discovered, It would probably have to be found through conversation.

Unfortunately, just then Naj wasn't up to much conversation just yet.  Naj replied to Sky Crack's questions about the situation.  “We started talking about changelings,” she said flatly.  That was the entirety of what she was certain of, so she paused before she started offering the necessary information from what she'd deduced.  “His eyesight's not so good, so he couldn't tell what I was until I started explaining.”  She looked down at Dusty for a moment.  “Evidently he has some kind of history there.”  She turned back to the bar, staring forlornly at her empty drink, and trying to decide if it was actually a good thing or bad that the bartender hadn't gotten her another yet given why she was asking for it.

Dusty pulsed his horn once more, then looked over at Naj. He gave her a friendly smile to assure her that there were no hard feelings. The ringing in his ears died down a bit, as did the throbbing at the back of his head. "Well, it doesn't hurt anymore." He told the pegasus who referred to herself as a medic. He shakily got to his hooves, and was able to remain upright this time. "Though, uh, I guess a check wouldn't be a bad idea. I might have gotten a concussion from that."

He righted the stool he fell off of, then slowly sat onto it. He rubbed the back of his head again. The spot was still sore. "I will be perfectly honest, not how I expected tonight to go. Not the worst day I've had, so not all bad. Plus, the night is still young. Things might get interesting, we shall see."

This did not appear to be the best time for him to have arrived... But there was nothing for it really. Tehengu sighed to himself as he looked at the scene. The stallion had fallen over, probably because of the changeling right next to him, but at least he was back on his seat now. 

The griffon was wearing his old dress uniform, as well as his typical bandanna, having nothing better to wear to a formal event and not having time to get something better. He hadn't even planned to come at first, but he had nothing better to do for the night. Might as well go to the party. At least his bandanna matched the uniform, which was partly why he had chosen that color. 

He walked into the room, giving a nod to Naj before taking a seat at the bar and waving down the bartender with a claw. 

"Can I get a beer, please?" He asked before turning to look at the two caribou for a moment. So the reports were true, Sigrun had been changed. He should've been there, he could've helped in the battle. 

The next figure his eye rested on was another griffon, one that had an air about her that reminded him of his time in the military. 

felw7r.jpg

Prof. Razorclaw nodded in approval at Sky Crack's tough rhetoric. Speech didn't always translate into action, but when it came to the pegasus warrior's known record, Morianna knew the other could back up her words with results... decisive results. Just the sort of ally who could be of great use. Although Sky Crack couldn't resist taking another potshot at Aquellia's expense, Morianna let it slide. Anyone with a brain knew that the griffons would spot a potential invasion fleet long before it reached Aquellia's shores, even if it tried the classic "hide in a suspicious storm" strategy. Only idiots would fall for that obvious trick, especially after what happened during the Sacking of the Crystal Empire. And if there was one thing the Aquellian Navy was especially suited for, it was decimating enemy fleets with superior numbers and superior firepower.

At any rate, Sky Crack would be of more use as long as her sense of martial superiority was properly appeased. Both she and Morianna knew that Acroneighos needed overseas allies to elevate itself from the current status quo that reigned in Maretonia. "If there's one thing that history has taught me," the griffoness remarked; "It's that when used correctly, the work of a thousand glistening spears can be performed more efficiently with a dozen daggers in the night. You can try facing worthless scum on the battlefield, but more often than not, tsk tsk tsk, the cowards will hide so they can loot and plunder another day."

"This is where my other offer comes into play. Aquellia has... experience in the sort of work that I've just described," Morianna smirked, referring to the wet work carried out by the ASI's elite Black Activities Division; "And it does it very well. However, to optimally perform the sort of services they do best, they need safe havens to operate out of. Now then, if your leaders are open-minded, they might consider providing this safe haven to... certain Aquellian assets of a non-military nature. By allowing for enhanced joint-security cooperation, this will mean less spears that Acroneighos will need to guard against pirates," cue a predatory grin; "...And more spears that can be deployed to find and destroy them."

While all this was occurring, Morianna occasionally glanced away to see the two caribou taking turns lift each other. She made no comment or facial expression, but she was suitably impressed with their feats. Especially Randgrid, who surprisingly was actually able to carry the bulked-up Sigrun. Most impressive.

qgpCREC.png

Martini Paradise had no idea what caused the incident that left the tan unicorn stallion splayed on the ballroom floor, in her experience this usually happened when a pony had a little too much cider, but it could be that he was simply overwhelmed from the Gala itself, that happened more than once doing the last couple galas she worked.  Fortunately one of the other ponies attending the unfortunately unicorn stated he was an actual medic so she wouldn't be required to play impromptu bartender medic like she had to in the past at some of the smaller venues she worked at.  

Martini levitated a fresh glass and filled it with ice cubes before pouring some fresh water into the glass.  "No sudden movements please, glass of water coming on through!" She wanted to be sure no one bumped into the floating glass as it levitated over the small group surrounding Dusty before landing softly next to him.  She would have lifted the water to him to make sure he could carefully slip it but but her view of the stallion was too obscured to do so, hopefully the medic would take over from this point.

When she heard a call for cider refill she sighed with a look of uncertainty, the customer was a Changeling; Martini has always held the policy to treat every customer without prejudice and with cheer no matter what species they are, and up to this point in her life, she has been able to do so without issue whether it be Pony, Caribou, Griffin, Buffalo, or Zebra, but Changelings, these were the creatures who invaded Canterlot!  She didn't read about the invasion in the papers either, she was there!  Martini visibly shivered as she recalled all too well how she and others were held up in the barricaded Ponyland tavern, desperately working to keep the invaders out, from sucking away all the lover, hope, and dreams.  Thank Celestia the invasion was stopped before they got in!

Still...  He is out in the open, she doesn't recall any sort of peace made with the Changeling Kingdoms though, maybe he is an outcast, or a refugee, or a diplomat?  Whatever the case, no one calling for the royal guard, so perhaps she had nothing to fear.  Guess there is only one way to find out, be brave Martini, you delt with much more dangerous situations than this...  Of course usually that was with her old flame, Brazil Nut, ouch, another bad memory, she is going to need a few of her own drinks before the night was done.

Well... Here goes nothing!  Martini pulled the jug of hard cider out of a large ice tray where to sat and levitated it as she walked over to the portion of the bar where the Changeling stood waiting and gave her best smile as she started pouring, "how are you doing today?  Having a good at the Gala so far?  Dance with anypony? Umm...  Sorry I didn't catch your name, I'm umm... Martini, Martini Paradise! bartender and listener extraordinare!"  Did Changelings even have names?  Other than the queens that is.

Randgrid's eyes went wide at Sigrun's comment. "Mate?" she exclaimed, more surprised. "By father's beard, Sig, when did this happen?" She threw her foreleg over the other cow, giving her a firm hug. "I suppose it's more than one exciting change that happened for you while I was away!"

"So, who is he?" she said with a laugh. "Someone I know? When we were young, you used to say father was the only caribou who could ever be worthy."

At the comments about the permanence of her condition, Randgrid nodded to Sigrun as her expression became more dour. "I'll make them pay for what they've done," she said darkly. "When all is done, it will be they who truly feel cursed for the pain I shall leave with them in their bones."

Randgrid turned her attention back then to the pegasus from Acroneighos, who was impressed for her feat of strength. She asked why Randgrid hadn't gone to train in Acroneighos. In truth, Randgrid hadn't considered such a thing. She knew that the Maretonian city was famed for its warriors, but her pride had her doubt that she could learn much from them she couldn't from the best fighting caribou in her father's hall.

"It wouldn't do. Caribou, ponies, these were not the training partners for me to have. No, it was with the most fearsome of wild beasts lurking in the most deeply cursed realms across four kingdoms I saw fit to spar!" she boldly declared.

A pegasus stallion approached Sigrun then and made an offhand comment about her bulk. This took the grim air from Randgrid and had her laugh again. The pony seemed to be a rather lightweight, noticeably drunk so early into the evening. Randgrid, for all of the mugs she had poured down her muzzle, felt no worse for it yet.

"Might this be some of those allies you mentioned, my friend?" Randgrid asked with a grin as he looked to the pegasus and then to a griffon whom Sigrun also seemed to know. Nodding to them both, she saw fit to give her name. "I am Randgrid of Heil-Barn, daughter of Dragonsong! Well met, friends!"

Randgrid raised her glass to new friends and emptied it down her throat. She then looked toward the bar. A new barmare was working now. A quite pretty unicorn mare. "Another mug of your best cider!" the caribou made her firm request. 

Red made sure Dusty knew where his fresh glass of water was before taking a step back to let Sky Crack take a look at him. A combat medic wouldn't have been his first choice for first aid, but in the absence of anypony else, that would have to do. He made a note to himself to take an occupational first aid course the next time his employers offered one. "Well, if you get the worst of it out of the way you'll have a better time the rest of the evening, right?" he said optimistically.

Returning to his seat beside Naj, he took another sip of his cider as she was getting poured her second. He smiled at the bartender's question about dancing with anypony yet. Well, Red was certainly hoping to. If nothing else, they would have needed the practice for later, but sharing a dance with Naj was high on his list of priorities for this night.

Dunder's mouth rested on his hoof, his ears forward and his eyes downcast, needing to be deep in focus as he listened to Sky Crack's view on what it meant to be an enemy. To treat those who fought well and with honor fairly, and to treat those that lurk and strike from the dark with complete disregard for life. "Of those that I spoke after the battle, those we had captured." His eyes were still downcast, "The grunts were ponies who only knew a life of crime, unbelievable, I know, in a land as jovial as Equestria." He looked up at her, "I couldn't bring myself to demand their executions. The superiors, sure, they were all... unsavory ponies." The stallion brushed back his mane with a wing, "Like you said, traditions and harmony... maybe less tradition and more compassion. And maybe a little bit of the three pony types working together." He said with a grin, he knew how it was in Maretonia. Diplomacy personified as each country having a crossbow to the other two's chests.

He turned to Sigrun who seemed to come out of her thought. She seemed glad to be called 'bulky.' The stallion was thankful of the culture divide, with plenty of Equestrian ponies that would have gotten a magical, wing, or hoof smack right on the jaw.

"Our Sun Princess is actually pretty skinny." He then remembered the story of Fire's relative who got an tattoo of the sun princess that would have landed him at least a year in prison. "and the Gala is treating me fine. Free drinks! Though I promised Zelda I wouldn't drink too much tonight." He said and gave the griffoness a bump with a wing.

When Zelda began talking to the Jarl about some creature Dunder didn't know, he turned to the rather fetching Princess who introduced herself as Rangrid. He smiled, her enthusiasm contagious. "By Tartarus, yeah!" He rasied his margarita glass, "For Equestria's 'bou allies." then slammed the rest of the drink down.

Dusty got back up, and by both his stance and what he said he didn't seem too much worse for wear for it.  He smiled at Naj, even.  Naj spared him a glance, and a small, sad smile of her own.  She was glad to see that he was okay, but the moment had already been soured for her.  She probably wouldn't turn Dusty away if he spoke to her, but there was no way she was just going to start talking to him again like nothing happened.

Naj was distracted for a moment by the arrival of a friend.  Tehengu walked into the room and up to the bar, nodding in Naj's direction.  Naj might have been more surprised by his presence, if she hadn't been focused on other things.  As it was, she had just enough time to greet the gryphon with a wave and ask “what brings you to a party like this?”, before the next distraction occurred.

Said distraction in this case was the bartender making her appearance, and this time it was a unicorn mare.  She seemed a bit scared by Naj at first, causing the changeling to wince slightly, but that fear was apparently forgotten in a moment, when the unicorn introduced herself as Martini Paradise and started asking a few questions as she poured Naj a new drink.  Naj was stunned for a moment, at the sudden shift from hesitant to inquisitive, and it took her a moment to start replying.  “I'm...I'm...” She'd almost responded with a stock 'doing fine' response, but then the pony did say she was a good listener.  And Naj had encountered the idea that ponies often told bartenders their woes.  The changeling sagged a bit as she finally finished her sentence.  “...I could be better.  I'm having second thoughts about coming here without a disguise.”  She cast a sidelong glance at Dusty Tomes before looking back at Martini.  “I can't keep scaring ponies like this.”

Martini also asked if Naj had a danced yet, to which the changeling blinked.  The idea brought to mind a couple evenings spend awkwardly flailing about in Red Cedar's house while listening to music.She doubted that's the sort of thing the bartender was thinking of though, and she shook her head.  “I don't really know how to dance.”  She paused momentarily.  “Oh yeah,” she eventually added, remembering the last question, “my name's Naj, nice to meet you.”  The changeling's smile as she spoke was small, but genuine.  “Thanks for the drink.”

Naj was taking a sip of her cider as Red came back to sit at the bar, and having the opportunity once again Naj set her glass down and leaned against him.

"Nothing better to do, might as well get out and try something new, right?" Tehengu responded, giving a slight chuckle to the changeling before looking over to her. Naj... He hadn't seen her for a while either... 

"When was the last time we saw each other, anyways? I see you've revealed yourself, which will honestly only get better. Give them time to get used to changelings openly walking around." The griffon said, watching her for a moment before glancing back at that military griffon. His eye lingered for a little bit before going back to the changeling with a sigh. 

"Sorry, she reminds me of a part of my past. My outfit doesn't exactly help matters there either..." He explained, chuckling a bit dryly. 

Dusty took a large gulp of water. If he wanted to salvage this, he'd need to strike up a conversation. He pulsed his horn once more. "Say, Naj, how'd you get to being an Equestrian Changeling? I'm sure that's a story and a half in itself. Might give me a bit of insight into this whole thing, honestly."

With any hope, perhaps one day he would no longer need to wear this persona. He smiled whistfully at the thought, though it gave him a small amount of discomfort as well. He was raised by ponies, and he had worn this skin for so long that it began to feel like his own. He wasn't sure if he even identified as a Changeling, not fully. But he wasn't a pony either, he knew that for certain.

A slight hint of confusion crossed his features. Until he could find out more about both sides of himself, he wasn't sure what he was.

EJhBYU5.png?1

“Oh yes, that would be me.”, remembering where this happened did sour the bird’s expression just a little. She really wished that she could have at least said a few words for the stallion before he trotted off. The caribou’s honest display of emotion when speaking of her adopted son quickly pushed away those negative feelings as quickly as they came. There had been so much chaos during her little visit to the tattoo parlor that day. “And yes, I'm Zelda, of the Birzoth clan.” The wise Chieftain may or may not have known of the old family. The Bizroths were an ancient family of blacksmiths, stone-carvers and artisans who fled the once proud kingdom of Griffonstone once it started its rapid decent into ruin. They moved to the village that would eventually become Rockwington.

"I hope to run into your son as he was easily the best looking fella at Inkbrand's parlor. Just by looking at him, you know he's bound for great things." Her stomach did sink a little when the blackbird had to ponder what her life had been for the last few months, but she was not going to even consider lying to the Caribou. "To be honest, things have been rather difficult for me during the last few months, but nothing even remotely what you and your people have had to endure. So I'd deserve a good beak-slapping if I were to complain to you about my life...I'm just happy I have good friends to pick me up when things go south." She gave the brown Pegasus a quick smooch on the cheek.

"Right, you did..", she grumbled as the stallion finished off another drink. She was probably going to have to carry Dunder home tonight. Or at least carry him to the nearest taxi stand.  The artist glanced over at the changeling gal. What did they call their females? Pfft. She wasn't so scary. And if there were issues with the shape-shifter, the poor gal would have never made it this far. She just wondered what Fire Walker's father thought of this arrangement. He nearly lost an eye to an changeling during the Nightmare Night mess awhile back. She caught sight of the old Major as he was cantering about in a rather fancy dress uniform while barking out orders to his underlings.

qgpCREC.png

Martini felt a bit surreal, listening to a changeling lament scaring ponies.  Perhaps fear kept them from feeding on love?  Or ... maybe she just didn't like scaring?  And it did seem like a she.  Was it?  She?  Martini did think to ask, but that would have sounded quite rude.  It was being difficult for Martini to put aside her prejudice, but a customer was a customer, and she was determined to be that ear a pony, or umm... a Changeling?  Needed.

"Well, I suppose it makes sense," Martini said hesitantly.  "I mean, the invasion of Canterlot probably left an impression on a lot of ponies... aaaaand ... I'm  not helping."  She squeezed her eyes shut and thought hard for a moment.  Imagine being a pony stuck in a land scared of ponies. What would she want to hear from a scared native?  "But I'm impressed by your bravery in standing out as yourself.  If ponies are ever going to stop being scared of Changelings, it'll take a lot of brave Changelings like yourself, being open about what they are."

Turned out drones had names, perhaps they weren't actually drones in a real sense as Martini was lead to believe, but instead were individuals with personalities with wants and needs, maybe they weren't so different after all?  Truth was she knew next to nothing about them and couldn't think of an appropriate way to ask.

Back to the subject at hoof though, this poor Changeling didn't know how to dance and it appeared to bother her.  "Do they even have dancing where you come from?"  Martini winched and facehoofed at her own question, that sounded rude, again!  "Ugh, sorry about it, never mind that question.  Anyway, many folks here never learned how to dance either, at least formally, it is just something most pick up by doing to be honest, hon.  It'll be awkward at first of course, just let your partner know that you're new to dancing and I'm sure they'll be happy to lead and all you have to do is follow along."  Now the question simply was, who would ask a Changeling to dance?

E9VF1tIl.jpg

Soon enough another familiar visage entered the scene... it was none other than Tehengu. She remembered him! The griffin who defeated that cocky martial arts pony in the arena! "Hail, Friend!" She spoke up to the griffin with a friendly smile, "Tehengu was your name right? I got to see one of your fights in the arena... Quite the sturdy on you are! How has the night been faring for you?"

Before her question could be answered immediately, Randgrid's comment managed to make the color drain from the Jarl's cheeks at the words. There were always words from one's calfhood that they wishes they hadn't said and by Tuktu, did saying that to Randgrid as a calf bring back some awkward feelings. Already redness crept onto the cow's cheeks but additionally it seemed that for a few seconds ribbons of steam were coming off of her. Once she'd managed to calm herself down a bit more the Chieftain let out an awkward laugh, "W-well... I won't deny your father was a dangerously attractive specimen back in the day ... and to some extent he still is... but we can't hold on to flights of romantic fancy forever." 

Sigrun cleared her throat, "He is Halvard of Clan Breen, an up and comer in the ranks of Valkystra... I suppose you could say we had our first date in the arena." The cow let out a hearty chuckle... "After that little bout we wound up bonding over a flagon afterward and ... well, 'hit it off' as the Equestrians say." Speaking of Equestrians, Dunder was chipper despite the danger he was in not too long ago: it was a relief to see that the stallion was capable of  brushing off that day so easily... even if a margharita was involved or not. "Indeed he is, My friend. Meet one of the brave few who kept your father from being cursed as well." 

"... The Birzoths?" The caribou's pupil's shrunk to the size of pinpoint as she remembered that name. "The renowned griffin blacksmith clan?!" SIgrun's eye's practically lit up, "It's been a dream of mine to get a work from your clan since I was a teenage ca--- oh um..." This wasn't the time to get excited about he possibility of fulfilling a calfhood dream. Sigrun had to be at her best for her own clan's sake...  

A more calm an earnest smile managed to crease the cow's lips as she heard Zelda recognize what Limi was capable of. She knew she wasn't the only one who saw such greatness in the (back then) little one. Her word's managed to turn to a more dour tone though as she voiced her own problems...  "Zelda... may I call you such? While my culture may love competition... we try not to compete over who has it worst. Sadness and tragedy is still sadness and tragedy. If you like I would be happy to hear of your own if it can lighten any load you may carry."

The mirth and merriment of the night had only just begun! Chitter and chatter filled the air, the ballroom was soon to be filled with dancing and swaying. It really was a night of all nights. The Grand Galloping Gala was a one of a kind event in Equestria, made even more special by the Emperor and Prince visiting! But there was one other representative of Long Guo royalty who had arrived unbeknownst to any of them. One who just couldn't pass up the chance to visit Equestria and see how their people lived.

In the halls of the castle, a young, slender blue serpent dragon flowed effortlessly through the air with a peaceful little smile on his face. The long dragon paused now and then to gaze upon the sights of the beautiful building or to wave at chat with passers by, many of which who were confused as to who or what the dragon was, or why he was here for that matter; or why they could swear the smelled their mother's cooking or remembered a song from their childhood near him...Of course Àilóng didn't really respond to that line of questioning with anything more than ponderous questions of his own which left the inquisitive ponies or griffons with a puzzle to think over for the rest of the evening.

The serpent was more than content to leave them puzzling, if they truly wanted to know perhaps in time they would realize. If not perhaps they were never meant to know. But that was neither here nor there. Àilóng's wandering of the sprawling castle eventually lead him to the lounge. His eyes darted around at the various beings that had gathered. Ponies, griffons, the bug like ones...changelings. Something he had only really read about. There weren't any changeling hives in Long Guo that he knew of anyway. And the caribou, one of which looked exceptionally fluffy! Curious. She seemed in the midst of conversation, and it was poor form to interject over such trivial matters such as the nature of her current state of extreme floof. For now it was more polite to observe, until someone decides to take notice of the literal dragon in the room.

As Naj leaned against him after he returned to his seat, Red leaned over and nuzzled her head a little. The bartender, at least, had been doing her best to try and cheer Naj up, even if it was quite obvious the pink mare knew next to nothing about changelings. Of course, neither did most of Equestria, yet, so he couldn't blame Martini. Still, she brought up Naj's bravery in attending in her natural form. Red was glad someone else finally recognized that, too. It was certainly true, and he hoped her hearing it would smooth over the unfortunate but not catastrophic incident with Dusty. He, thankfully, didn't seem to be taking the incident too hard, either. He was even trying to make conversation again about how Naj came about being a citizen. Well, that was going to be a long topic in and of itself, but it was a story for her to tell, and himself to add on the bits she may have forgotten in her nervousness at the time.

As the bartender mentioned dancing again, he said, "Well, I'm not the greatest dancer, either, but I hope sometime tonight we could try. We can just hide in the middle of the dance floor and maybe it won't be so obvious that we're not that good." With a smile at that thought, he took another sip of his own cider.

Naj sighed at Tehengu's comment.  “You're...probably right, but...” she slowly shook her head.  “I don't know how long I can last if this keeps up.”  She took a sip of her new drink, then looked over at the gryphon with a small smile on her face.  “Still, thanks for the vote of confidence.”  If he thought it would get easier, it also implied she could get through this.  And looking around, not only having Red by her side but also being surrounded by hesitant but friendly ponies, maybe she could make it.  “And I can't remember when we last saw each other,” she scratched the back of her head, “I've been kinda distracted lately.”  Presumably the last time was sometime at their occasional, mutual workplace, though that wasn't something she really wanted to bring up in public.  She didn't think much of the other gryphon Tehengu pointed out, Naj only seeing what she assumed to be a politician, and so she said nothing.

Dusty Tomes decided to keep the conversation going after all, or at least made the attempt.  Naj was a little surprised, to be honest.  It had been a bit since she'd told that particular bit of history as well, so she spent the first few following moments just looking at Dusty.  “Well,” she began after a moment, “it started out with me making friends with a couple of ponies by chance.  They didn't like the idea of me spending the rest of my life in hiding any more than I did, but unlike me they didn't think I'd have to either.  They thought I should go to see Princess Celestia of all ponies.”  Naj paused for a moment, to take another sip of her drink, before she continued.  “I thought they were crazy.”  She leaned toward Dusty.  “But you know what the craziest part was?  It basically worked!”  She sat back in her seat.  “After speaking to me and my pony friends, the princess decided to grant me citizenship.”  Naturally this was the shortened version, but she figured that was what Dusty was really looking for.

Naj contemplated saying more, but ended up letting Dusty process that for a bit, while she listened as a Martini picked up that conversation again.  Naj deflated a little, slumping over as the unicorn talked about the Canterlot Invasion.  It was understandable to bring the subject up, but it hardly helped changeling-pony relations.  And while rationally, Naj knew that the decision she'd made at the time was a rational one from her perspective, looking back she was somewhat ashamed of her participation in it.
Fortunately for the changeling, Martini seemed to recognize that too, and switched to something more uplifting.  “Er...thanks.”  Naj smiled, equally relieved to have shifted subjects, and pleasantly surprised to get support from a pony who's never seen her before now.  “I'll try to keep it up then!”

<Quote>
Naj contemplated for a minute, unintentionally staring at the ceiling.  “Not that I know of,” she settled on after a bit, looking at Martini and shaking her head.  “There were probably one or two changelings who knew how to dance, but music wasn't that common there.  Then again, maybe it was hidden away somewhere and I just didn't find it.  I used to be a guard, and that basically took up all of my time back then.”

Naj was saved from having to respond further when Red chimed in, suggesting that he wasn't that skilled a dancer either, and the two of them might hide in the middle of the dance floor.  Naj laughed, finding it an amusing concept.  The changeling curled a hoof around Red and leaned her head on his shoulder, though still addressed Martini.  “As you can see,” she said with a grin, “my partner already knows about my dancing skills, or lack thereof.”  It was sudden shift, but Naj was starting to feel better about everything.  She was just confident enough that... “I might be willing to give it a try, once we're done here.”  She suddenly looked at Red with a serious expression.  “You have to lead, though.”

Archived