[Not Sponsored] Where It All Started...

Her eyes widened, "Wh-what?  Nopony ever knew that!  All the news ever said-at least the ones I read-," she gave a chuckle, "was that the performance launched your career.  Wow...I guess that explains why the Gala really is so important to you,"

She thought back to when she had received her cutie mark, and remembered the small corner store that had launched her own career into the stars.  "I don't know if I told you this before either...but my cutie mark actually has two meanings!" 

She pointed to the buildings overflowing with money, "One of the meanings is obvious-that I would be prosperous and great in my career.  The other meaning is one most people don't know of...It represents my willingness to help others.  The flowing money is all the money I will one day provide to help others; that despite I can be all-high-and-mighty with my skyscrapers and cross-city businesses, I won't forget the needy,"

Dawn gave a small nod, rubbing the back of his neck. It wasn't exactly something he spoke about very often, and the only ponies who really knew about it were the Princesses, and most of the ponies who attended the Gala that night and viewed his performance. He listened carefully to Steam's own explanation of the second meaning of her cutie mark, almost swooning as he heard the last bit. He never wanted to admit it, but when he saw her cutie mark for the very first time, he had always thought it represented only the rich and selfish higher-class ponies. As he grew to know her, he knew that it was not the case at all. It became clear to him that it represented hard work and success, but he had never even thought that it would also represent a desire to remember the more needy ponies... the very same social class that Dawn used to be a part of. His eyes suddenly welled up with tears, and he quickly reached up to wipe them away. "That's... so sweet."

Her eyes welled up when Dawn reached to wipe his own eyes.  Part of her wanted to spill all of her secrets from the past, but another part of her had trouble accepting that there were ponies that cared about her, "Believe it or not, I wasn't always the rich pony I am now," she gave a light chuckle, hoping to lighten the mood. But before she could make any more half-hearted jokes, tears started spilling out of her eyes.  The memories of her mother looking at her, the memories of her siblings' sacrifice of education to keep the family fed...and the many Hearth Warming telling everyone that 'Our love for each other is a present enough'.  She remembered all the nights when she would wake up to a thunderstorm or rain shower-with thoughts not of fear from the noise, but sadness that their crops would be ruined.  She took a deep breath, before wiping her own eyes.  

Then, she turned towards Dawn and gave him a big hug, "You must have had it rough, too~"

Once Steam started crying, Dawn couldn't help but allow a few more tears to fall from his own jade green eyes. When she hugged him, he wrapped his arms tightly around her, practically cradling her against him. His mind raced back to his own troubled past, living in a small foster home with five other homeless orphans, huddling by a fire on cold winter nights. "Things... could have been better..." He admitted, his chest feeling rather heavy. "I was... the youngest member of a foster family. We didn't have much, but we were able to manage. The other foster children... never really cared for me much. The lady of the house was always the nicest to me." He looked down, deciding to leave out the details of his run-ins with the other foster kids. "I've never even met my parents. The only thing I know about them is that they were once Royal Guards."

She looked into his eyes, and saw his jade eyes swirl with misty tears.  As he spoke to her of his past, she hugged him tighter, realizing that he too had his own share of troubles and toils.  It was so odd, really.  The past many times she had been to the Gala, the most had been with a friend.  It was all very formal, with strict rules and polite etiquette.  She always had the practiced smile on her face, and her firm hoofshake never faltered.  Yet this gala...

She gave Dawn a whimsical smile, "Thank you...,"

Really.  For everything.

Archived