[Not Sponsored] Where It All Started...

It was all so strange, being at the Gala once again. Everything seemed so different, yet it felt as if nothing had changed in those three years since the first time he went. The day he spent his entire life's savings on a ticket, a guitar, and a fancy suit to wear. Now he was here with one of his closest friends, wearing the same suit and enjoying the festivities at the very event that made him who he was today. He wondered if there would be anyone there that would even recognize him, the very rock star who became famous from a one-shot performance at the Grand Galloping Gala, then was completely moved to tears as he experienced his very first chorus of applause. "I was so young..." The beige stallion said softly, watching as a waiter scurried about to serve food and drinks to the rest of the ponies chattering amongs themselves. "Three years is a long time, but it doesn't seem all that long ago. It's insane how much can happen in only a short fraction of a life." He said with a heavy sigh, leaning back and trying to relax. "It's funny... I live my life being surrounded by wonderful people, yet I'm still nervous around these large social events..."

Steam arrived at the gala in her typical fashion.  On time-entering the grand doors at the second.  Her long, white dress tumbled down her shoulders, almost like a sleek wedding dress.  Her entourage arrived right beside her, decked out in their formal attire.  

She walked around, not quite sure what to do or to go.  She was here because she had gotten a ticket...and she was expected.  Did she enjoy this?  No.  Did she want to go home?  yes.

She sighed, before wandering into the garden, "Maybe I'll find somepony to talk to," 

A waitress walked by and offered a drink to Dawn, who politely declined with a warm smile in response. He had a feeling that he most likely would not care for any of the beverages being tossed around to the rest of the guests, and he had already eaten a rather light meal before arriving, so he should be good on food and drink at least for a couple of hours. It all depends on what happens while he was here. He looked carefully out into the crowd, before almost immediately recognizing his friend and sponsor Steam, her usual entourage buzzing around her like always. With a playful grin, Dawn made his way behind her and gently cleared his throat. "Excuse me, madam. May I interest you in a glass of our finest cider~?" He stated in the most overly-mocking accent he could muster, speaking exactly how one of the waiters would.

5 hours ago, AlextheAngel said:

"Excuse me, madam. May I interest you in a glass of our finest cider~?"

She turned at the voice, it's accent was very...strange.  

"Yes please, thank you,"

She reached to grab a glass, but froze at the sight of the 'waiter'.  

"Dawn?"

Her mind worked quickly-she should have expected him to arrive.  Afterall, he was one of Equestria's top artists, and it was a GGG performance that had set him in that direction. The two had become close friends, and she smiled as she saw him, "Finally~  someone I actually know.  Are you here for a performance?"

Dawn couldn't help but chuckle when Steam actually fell for the waiter act, before realizing it was him. "Hi, there!" He said with a wide grin, before shaking his head at the question. "Unfortunately not. I decided to arrive just for the sake of getting nostalgiac. Honestly, if I performed at another Gala, I would probably end up breaking down on stage again." He said, chuckling again.

She blinked.  She hadn't been here for that Gala, and so had never seen him perform his-big hit.  She smiled, and pinched his cheeks, "Is mommy's wittle colt gonna cwy on stage?"

Dawn blinked in surprise when she suddenly felt Steam pinch his cheeks, which were now blushing intensely. "Hey! Cut that out!" He chuckled, playfully swatting her hoof away before giving a small sigh. "But seriously... it was actually a huge turning point in my life. I wouldn't even be here if it weren't for that performance."

She nodded, understanding just how important this moment was for him.  It was like her moments in the small corner store...

That was the turning point in my life, too.  Without that experience, I wouldn't be here...as an invitee of the Grand Galloping Gala.

"Alright, I won't tease you about it anymore.  Are you here with any friend?"  

She stopped, before whispering, "or a mare?"

She thought it was known between the two of their slight...crush, but if he had simply taken that as another sign of friendship, then~ She blinked a few times to clear her head, I'm sure he's smarter than that.

Dawn nervously reached back and rubbed the back of his hoof, giving a small chuckle in response. "Pfft, nope." He responded bluntly, before a small blush appeared on his cheeks. "I mean, I usually don't have time to go out and make friends anymore, being a public icon and all. Why do you ask? Would you like to join me? I'm no I'm not very entertaining, but I'm sure we can find something to distract us..." He said with a nervous grin. He had already accepted that he did indeed have a slight crush on Steam, and he wondered if it was known to her as well... perhaps he should step forward and ask about it?

She blushed quite a bit at his invitation.  Warm blood filled her checks, and she turned away for a split second.  On one hoof, she could join him in what could end up in a dramatic declaration of love for each other.  On the other hoof, she came here as a VIP guest with her entourage-and she was expected of to mingle and gain new business contacts.  She deliberated between the two, before giving a cheeky smile, "Better yet-why don't you join me?  I have free entrance with guests into the VIP section, and you can meet some fellow,"  She raised her hoof up and down his length, "famous ponies,"

Dawn's face practically lit up upon hearing her answer, and he gave a quick nod. "That sounds fun, I guess." He replied, before looking around at the flurry of other ponies mingling about amonst each other, before looking down a bit and lowering his voice. "But... between you and me... I actually get really nervous at these fancy social gatherings." He admitted with a shy smile. "I mean... these are all well-respected ponies. Business owners, billionaires, celebrities... I know I'm a celebrity as well, but of a completely different and probably very rare variety. What if I'm not... well, formal enough?"

She gave a mock gasp and threw a dramatic pose, "Tu?  Afraid of hoity-toity ponies and high society? Oh, mon dieu!"   

She turned to him and put a hoof on his shoulder, 'In all seriousness-if I can walk in their with my signature mowhawk, you'll be fine.  Just blame everything on me.  'Why are you acting so strange?'  Because Steam.  'Why are you so informal?'  Because Steam.  I'm darn good at debating, so it'll be good practice," she winked.

With that, she swift away to the VIP section.  Her entourage quickly followed chase behind her, making fuss about appearances.

Dawn blinked, before quickly moving to follow her, the entourage of ponies gently bumping into him every once in a while. Dawn would simply mutter a polite apology before trying to catch up. "Well, I know I'm informal, but I'm not that  informal. I can't just blame everything on you... or were you joking about that?" He said nervously, before noticing that some of the ponies had begun to recognize him. "Maybe it would be best if we went somewhere more... private? I mean, pretty soon I'll have my own entourage following me around, and that might keep us from... eh, hanging out."

She turned at his words, before sighing, "Alright...,"

Hanging out?  So...does he even like me?  Did I just get friendzoned?  

The smile on her face was eternal and constant, but her thoughts were turbulent.  But he said somewhere private...doesn't that mean he likes me back?

She turned to her assistant, before calling him to represent herself for the night.  I'll be with my.........

friend.

"So...where do you want to go?"

Dawn smiled as Steam asked one of her assistances to prepresent her for the time being, and he motioned to one of the doors leading outside. "Let's head out to the gardens. It's nice and quiet out there. There's... actually something I've been meaning to ask you." He said, before taking a deep breath and leading her outside. His heart was pounding tremendously, and he could feel himself sweating beneath the stuffy suit he was wearing. Maybe it was a good time to ask?

She blinked at his words, bolstered once more by confusion.  Does he...she shook her head of any thoughts.  No way a superstar-partystallion like him would have a crush on a buisness-oriented punk mare.  I'm just some poor filly who struck it rich.  Plus-he's definitely a playstallion-the kind that flirts with every mare.  She gave herself an internal *smack* for even thinking of such an idea.  But yet...part of her...hoped.

She turned towards him and gulped, "S-sure.  What is it?"

Dawn took deep, silent breaths as he led her outside to the gardens, the sound of background conversations being muffled as the door closed behind them and replaced by the soft chirping of birds and skittering of woodland creatures. He stopped in the middle of a clearing near one of the small ponds, the light of the full moon beaming down on the two of them. "It's... about our friendship..." He replied, his heart hammering loudly within his chest. "I've been thinking lately... Our meetings aren't like normal ones. They're a lot more... well, fun." By now, the young stallion's face was practically the hue of a tomato. "I mean, we're there for each other for more than just business-related things. We're actually there  for each other. When I'm around you, it never feels business-related, it feels like I'm spending time with a friend I've known for a long time... well, not just a friend..." He sighed, looking down at the grass, nervously scraping his hoof against the ground. "Steam, I... think I like you as more than just a friend..."

3 hours ago, AlextheAngel said:

"It's... about our friendship..."

She bit her lip, a a thousand nervous thoughts shivered through her...does he like me?  Does he not?  Is this the end?  What if he doesn't want to be friends with me?!

3 hours ago, AlextheAngel said:

"I've been thinking lately... Our meetings aren't like normal ones. They're a lot more... well, fun." 

Her eyes widened the slightest bit.  Fun?  Fun!  Ha.  Fun!  FUUUUUNNNNNNN.  Isn't there anything else besides fun?  Wasn't it romantic?  Enjoyable?  Sweet?  Was it just fun?

As he continued his monologue, her hopes began to rise...and then.

It stopped.

There were no words needed to be spoken, nothing needed to foretell.  Everything stood at a standstill, and everything froze in midair.  Her eyes were as large as roses in full bloom, the sweet smile on her face as kind as a mockingbird.  

She could hear the soft twinkle of wedding bells in the background, and she closed her eyes and swooned....

andthentimeresumed.

And she found herself flat on the ground, eyes still closed...but with the brightest smile possible on her face.

As Dawn finally finished talking, he looked back at her and smiled shyly, only to notice that she was smiling as well, her eyes wide and practically glistening in the full moon light. He had always hoped that she would feel the same way, and the smile yielded positive results. "So... what do you think? Do you feel the same?" He asked, his heart still hammering within his chest as he awaited her response.

Then she suddenly collapse.

Dawn gasped, worried for a moment that she might have had a heart attack, before noticing with relief that the smile was still on her face. Did she just... faint? He stood over her curiously, blinking a few times. "So... is that a yes...?" He asked, his muzzle a few inches from hers.

She opened her eyes to...is he going to kiss me?

Probably not the best first thought to have, but his muzzle was practically a hoof's width from her face.  He stood over her, watching with a curious but seemingly happy expression.  Not moving, she nodded.  There were no words to describe this moment.  No thoughts.  Nothing.  Just pure happiness that the one she crushed on had a crush on her as well.

This wasn't anything like her previous crushes.  They were all silly fillyhood fantasies from her school years, with silly colts and clique-obsessed fillies.  This wasn't like the kind of courtships she received after her rise to business power, either.  Those were selfish romances, purely for the other to gain benefit:  more exposure, a higher social standing, a larger following, a greater audience.  This was pure and simple. They had started off as buisness partners-with herself sponsoring one of his latest tours.  The days lasted into friendly talks that eased into a closer friendship, until their 'business meetings' had become moreso dates.  And now...

this.  And so she nodded, the truthful 'yes'.

Dawn couldn't help but smile again as he watched Steam open her eyes, chuckling a little at her reaction. From what he had seen, she had always carried herself in a more professional manner, with the acception of a few slip-ups here and there. But now, she almost seemed like a completely different mare... and he actually liked seeing this side of her. Finally, she nodded her response, and it was his turn to swoon. His heart practically leaped out of his chest, and he couldn't help but grin from ear to ear... and he wouldn't have been surprised if it looked as if his eyes had taken the shapes of hearts. He looked down at her for a long moment, unsure of just what exactly to say next. Suddenly, he leaned in lower, before planting a small kiss on her lips and quickly drawing back, almost expecting her to yell at him. "S-sorry... I couldn't help myself..."

When he leaned down and kissed her, she almost died.  In happiness.  

All her career, she was strict, professional, and took a generally cold tone towards everypony.  Her job took so much toll on her everyday life, that even her getaway vacations had become investment voyages.  She had been so caught up in striving to go higher, she hadn't even realized she had already reached it.  She had let her professionalism take over her life...but somehow, this Dawn had brought it back.  She always felt so free when she was around him, they could talk about anything and talk for hours.  She was starting to see how he was so well-liked by the citizens of Equestria.  

She rolled over and sat up, "You know...I owe you a thank-you.  You've given me back something I thought I had lost,"

She looked at him straight in the eyes, completely serious.  This was no laughing or funny matter anymore-and she took a deep breath to say it.

A tiny tear glistened in her eyes, and the memories of her mother and siblings rekindled in her heart.

"Thank you for giving me back a family,"

Dawn stepped back a little when she rolled over and sat up, his face still practically the hue of a tomato. He felt much... lighter, as if a massive burden had been lifted from his shoulders that had been plaguing him for a long time. It seemed so long ago that he had met her, and they had come such a long way in their relationship. At the first thing she said, he perked up a bit in curiosity, tilting his head a little to the side. But once she finished talking, his heart just melted, and a tear glistened in his eye as well. Who would have known that simply admitting to a crush would so so much for somepony? Still smiling brightly, he stepped forward and enveloped her in a tight embrace, his chest still pounding heavily, but this time not from nervousness. "I should be thanking you as well..." He said softly, his voice cracking a bit. "You've done the same for me."

She smiled at him as he spoke, not too confounded in his statement.  But it wasn't the statement itself that made her smile, it was the way he spoke it-they way they trusted each other with their own secrets and truths.  With that, she grabbed onto his hoof, "C'mon, the Gala ain't over yet.  Why don't we go for a little stroll in the gardens?"

She slowly pulled herself up, noting all the things around her...the glistening lights, the smiling ponies, the gorgeous decor~

This is the Best Night Ever!

Dawn blushed brightly as Steam grabbed onto his hoof, and he gently helped her up onto her hooves. "That sounds like a swell idea." He said, practically smiling from ear to ear as he began walking next to her, taking in the surroundings as well as giving Steam a side glance every once in a while. He chuckled a little as a humming bird chirped at them and flew past, and he rubbed the back of his neck. This night was absolutely perfect, and he was so happy that he litterally felt as if he were floating. "You know, I don't know if I mentioned this before..." He said, thinking to strike up a conversation. "But that night I performed at my first Gala, it wasn't just the kickstart to my new career. It was also when my cutie mark appeared."

Archived