do you hide your brony-ness?

Angie Cakes

do you hide the fact that you're a brony?  

209 members have voted

1. 1. do you hide the fact that you're a brony?

• yes
    • no
    • from some people
    • from most people

You two were the same way I was in high school, except that was a few years before the whole brony phenomenon, lol. So instead of MLP, it was Yugioh for me - while the rest of my classmates dropped it after elementary school, I went on to the competitive scene and hid the fact I still played it.

As far as my stance on the issue, do you actually see your classmates shunning others for what they associate themselves with or are you just telling yourself that's what's going to happen? I knew people would talk bad about others behind their backs but still treat them like anyone else. As for me, I just feared the awkwardness of being approached by someone and asked why I liked Yugioh/Pokemon/whatever else - in that case, you just need to answer them and be confident about it and yourself. Hiding yourself is just keeping you from meeting others with the same interest - people might give you grief about it but they shouldn't be immature enough to actually avoid being with you anymore. If it actually did turn into personal attacks against you for liking FiM, then I'm pretty sure your parents and teachers wouldn't take that sitting down, but hopefully it wouldn't go that far.

You two were the same way I was in high school, except that was a few years before the whole brony phenomenon, lol. So instead of MLP, it was Yugioh for me - while the rest of my classmates dropped it after elementary school, I went on to the competitive scene and hid the fact I still played it.

As far as my stance on the issue, do you actually see your classmates shunning others for what they associate themselves with or are you just telling yourself that's what's going to happen? I knew people would talk bad about others behind their backs but still treat them like anyone else. As for me, I just feared the awkwardness of being approached by someone and asked why I liked Yugioh/Pokemon/whatever else - in that case, you just need to answer them and be confident about it and yourself. Hiding yourself is just keeping you from meeting others with the same interest - people might give you grief about it but they shouldn't be immature enough to actually avoid being with you anymore. If it actually did turn into personal attacks against you for liking FiM, then I'm pretty sure your parents and teachers wouldn't take that sitting down, but hopefully it wouldn't go that far.

Believe or not I actually have seem massive ammounts of "shunning" to topics such as yugioh, pokemon, MLP, ETC.

There is a guy in the school who came out one day and said he loved pokemon, and he started bringing pokemon related items to school each day.

He used to be quite popular, but now....well....

I don't want the same thing to happen to me.

I just wish we could all like what we wanna like and not be judged...

Guest ElementOfLaughter

Nope! Why would I hide it? I want my friends to like me for who I am, because come on... I'm pretty fun! I learned a long time ago that if you're having so much fun that everypony notices, they'll want to join in. They may tell me that I'm being childish, but I get to wiggle my eyebrows at them because I know they wish they were being childish too. Don't get stuck in social structure, play Legos with it!

Well, was he left with nothing after all was said and done? Those who leave you for letting something embarrassing about yourself being known didn't like you for yourself in the first place then, right? Of course, being in high school makes it a bit harder to think that way since you're pretty much stuck with the same people for four years, so you want to stay on their good side either way.

• 4 weeks later...

For the most part, yes.

Only my sister, best friend, and another friend know.

I hide it because I'm afraid to be stereotyped with the ridiculous fandom.

I'm sorry, but I really don't like most of the fandom. I'm not yalking about creativty either. I'm talking about the fans. I really don't like most of the fans. Sorry.

For the most part, yes.

Only my sister, best friend, and another friend know.

I hide it because I'm afraid to be stereotyped with the ridiculous fandom.

I'm sorry, but I really don't like most of the fandom. I'm not yalking about creativty either. I'm talking about the fans. I really don't like most of the fans. Sorry.

So this begs the question...if you dislike most of the fans, why do you post here, exactly?

But no, I totally get what you're saying. I think it's unfortunate that you feel that way, though. I could spend the next few paragraphs trying to change your perspective in some enlightened way, but I'm just not feeling it tonight. I'll just fling cake at you instead! Everyone likes cake!

132706734019.gif

So this begs the question...if you dislike most of the fans, why do you post here, exactly?

But no, I totally get what you're saying. I think it's unfortunate that you feel that way, though. I could spend the next few paragraphs trying to change your perspective in some enlightened way, but I'm just not feeling it tonight. I'll just fling cake at you instead! Everyone likes cake!

132706734019.gif

Hence the "most" in the sentence. I don't mean all.

I don't hide it intentionally, but ponies don't often come up in my conversations so not many people know.

Besides, I only know one person who is also a brony (and one who may be in the process of converting, hah) so I don't have anyone to share my pony love with. :P

• Like 1

Heh. Apparently my roommate is even less interested in hiding it than I am.

I spotted a set with Twilight, Celestia, and Spike in it, and got all excited because I didn't have Spike yet. Roomie bought it for me because I watched her dog for her the night before. At the checkout, the cashier asked, "Would you like a gift receipt?" In that situation, I would've just said, "Nah, that's fine," and left it at that.

Roommate said, "Why would I need one? She's right here." >.>

Heh. Apparently my roommate is even less interested in hiding it than I am.

I spotted a set with Twilight, Celestia, and Spike in it, and got all excited because I didn't have Spike yet. Roomie bought it for me because I watched her dog for her the night before. At the checkout, the cashier asked, "Would you like a gift receipt?" In that situation, I would've just said, "Nah, that's fine," and left it at that.

Roommate said, "Why would I need one? She's right here." >.>

facehoof.jpg

Its only been a few weeks since I started watching the Show (even though by now Im on my 3rd run already)

But starting from Day one I was all up in other peoples faces about how freaking amazing this show about Ponies is ^^

I also don't see a reason why not to, If you are of a certain Age and character ;)

The Main argument why you would Hide it is most likely being seen as not Manly or Childish. So I can Understand if you keep it secret in certain Peer groups and especially if your still in school cause kids are cruel.

But I don't have a Problem with my selfesteem and hardly anyone would start making fun of me for something like that, exept maybe some smartass comment here and there which will be returned in no time ^^

Pepople who know me, know I am A. Bat****crazy B.As Hetero as you can be C. Can be Childish at times but am certaianly aware of that and when it comes down to it the one handling the responsibilities most often D. don't really care what they say on Topics like that ^^

Also you take Peoples Arguments away depending on the situation, If you show, you see no reason to be ashamed of just watching some cartoon, there is not really much they can taunt you with in the first place ^^

Then again realizing this and living like I do now took me some while as well and I used to hide reading Mangas from a certain peergroup back in school as well.

• 3 years later...

Never, my friends, never will I hide my brony-ness.  I will never hide all the friends I have made, all of those that have supported me and kept me company.  Never...also: PINKIE!!!

• 2 months later...

I don't hide in the slightest.

Every day, I wear a pony dog tag (either Maud or Starlight; I have a metallic black Fluttershy for special occasions).

At work, I am... Usually refered to by name, but I am also Pony Guy.

And yet this has only worked out well for me, with my mom able to enjoy episodes of the show with me. When her schedule is free to do so, at least.

• Like 1

On 3/21/2016 at 8:11 AM, FiniteZero said:

I don't hide in the slightest.

Every day, I wear a pony dog tag (either Maud or Starlight; I have a metallic black Fluttershy for special occasions).

At work, I am... Usually refered to by name, but I am also Pony Guy.

And yet this has only worked out well for me, with my mom able to enjoy episodes of the show with me. When her schedule is free to do so, at least.

*gasp*  Where did you buy the dog tags?  

• 1 month later...