do you hide your brony-ness?

Angie Cakes

do you hide the fact that you're a brony?  

209 members have voted

1. 1. do you hide the fact that you're a brony?

• yes
    • no
    • from some people
    • from most people

I have dirty and decapitated ponies all over my house. . . so there's no hiding it from family and friends.

I don't hide it, but I don't go around blabbing about it to everyone that will listen or go around making pony references either. Because really, people like that in any fandom bug the hell out of me. Plus, compared to other shows, it's just not as quotable for me as some of the others I've been a fan of.

I've bought pony singles, and target $1 merch before and I've never gotten weird looks or comments from the cashier. Honestly, they don't know who I'm buying it for. They don't know it's for me. It could be a niece, a cousin or a daughter. So, I'm not shy about it.

From some people, I do.

I know it isn't really the way of the Brony, but I had originally intended to let only a select few know. Outside of my friends, that is. See, I have this. . . this fear of people's reactions. That people will disapprove (My dad, mainly). But, he found out. See, my dad remarried a year and two days ago, and with it extended my family even more than the largeness that it was, since my dad is pure Italian (My mom is a mutt of all things, which screwed me up, so I'm 72% Italian. :wail:). I had told two of my new cousins (twins) last month, and then they apparently told my six-year-old step-brother (He's a real brat, that kid. But I won't go on about my family's problems since the marriage.), for whatever reason, and a few days ago, he asked me if I watched My Little Pony. I was dumbfounded, and said "What makes you think that?", to which he replied that my cousin had told him. I was angry, and my face was red. My computer was set up in my dining room (The central air is screwed up in my room. Bad internet connection too, I was a lot closer to the router, so I was using ethernet.), which is connected to my kitchen where my stepmother and dad were sitting. So I said that I did, but not that loudly. I still didn't want my parents to know. They weren't ready. So apparently they heard, and my stepmom, for whatever reason, got defensive, and is all, "Well, on Youtube he probably watches it.", to which I did not reply.

And so now they know, and they were never supposed to know, but they do. It was only brought up one time after that, a few hours later, when my brother runs into the dining room, and says "Nicky, there's My Little Pony toys you can get!". I just nodded and went "Mmm.", and made it look like I was engrossed in my Torchlight alchemist.

Sounds like your best laid plans have failed. it happens. Only thing to do now is go FULL BRONY MODE. The truth is out. Just stand up and shout at the dinner table "YES. I LOVE PONIES. AND THOSE OF YOU WHO CAN'T FIND IT IN YOUR HEARTS TO UNDERSTAND THIS, I REJECT!" Pause. Take a moment to collect yourself. Then say "if you watch an episode and can still, in good conscience, look upon me with scorn, then I can respect that. Those of you that would call yourselves men should have nothing to fear. Those of you who wither before the sight of a pony, whose masculinity is so fragile that you fear a cartoon might exempt it, unzip your testicles now and deliver unto me their contents. And let a man of self-assurance find a better use for them!"

Then sit down quietly, and resume eating your potatoes.

Sounds like your best laid plans have failed. it happens. Only thing to do now is go FULL BRONY MODE. The truth is out. Just stand up and shout at the dinner table "YES. I LOVE PONIES. AND THOSE OF YOU WHO CAN'T FIND IT IN YOUR HEARTS TO UNDERSTAND THIS, I REJECT!" Pause. Take a moment to collect yourself. Then say "if you watch an episode and can still, in good conscience, look upon me with scorn, then I can respect that. Those of you that would call yourselves men should have nothing to fear. Those of you who wither before the sight of a pony, whose masculinity is so fragile that you fear a cartoon might exempt it, unzip your testicles now and deliver unto me their contents. And let a man of self-assurance find a better use for them!"

Then sit down quietly, and resume eating your potatoes.

You understand me completely.

And the potatoes part made me think of Samwise Gamgee.

Gollum: What's. . . taters?

Samwise: Po-tay-toes! Boil 'em, mash 'em, sick 'em in a stew!

(I surprisingly couldn't find a clip of that. It's all some stupid remix of it. IDK)

I get about half the people to watch, and most of them stick with it, so maybe a 1/3 conversion rate. Not bad, but i wont be satisfied until THE WHOLE WORLD JOINS THE HERD.

A wise Mare once said "Give it time...."

I don't hide my love of Ponies at all (well once or twice when I was watching it when I had to leave the house in a few minutes I insisted that it was something else that was about to make me late) those who know me know it's typical of me to like this sort of show I've gotten my Mother to watch it (my Father is going to be a bit harder, he dosen't like high pitched sounds) and I've gone out to stores and bought merchandise with the staff knowing that it was for me (I tell anyone who sees me that I collect them, which is true).

Actually I have the opposite problem that many have, when I buy My Little Pony merchandise I'd be bothered if somebody suggested that it was for a sister, niece or cousin (not that I wouldn't by it for one if I had any siblings or a cousin that I was in contact with, but don't so....thank goodness I'm only 20 and look the way I do, if somebody suggested that I had a child that it was for I'd be mortified, for obvious reasons)

Actually I have the opposite problem that many have, when I buy My Little Pony merchandise I'd be bothered if somebody suggested that it was for a sister, niece or cousin (not that I wouldn't by it for one if I had any siblings or a cousin that I was in contact with, but don't so....thank goodness I'm only 20 and look the way I do, if somebody suggested that I had a child that it was for I'd be mortified, for obvious reasons)

I've bought pony toys at the Zellers in the Kozlov Mall, and none of the cashiers said a word. They most likely assumed it was for a female relative...or they just knew better than to say anything. haha.

I've bought pony toys at the Zellers in the Kozlov Mall, and none of the cashiers said a word. They most likely assumed it was for a female relative...or they just knew better than to say anything. haha.

They have them there too? :(

(Thus far I've been buying mine at Toys R Us)

Eh, it depends for me really. I haven't told my parents about it, but I've tried subtly (and failing at) hinting that I liked the show towards my older sisters.I'm not sure when to tell them about it for now.

But I also have enough friends that might be understanding enough to give it a chance. I haven't seen most of them this summer so I'll probably spilll the beans to them once school starts in September. :D

Not really.

The majority of what I watch is cartoons so no one that knows me is surprised. I have drawn my family as ponies. I force my sister to watch episodes. She asked me once if MLP FiM was my guilty pleasure. And I said, "What? I'm not guilty about watching it at all!"

I just don't have any MLP paraphernalia to show off.

I have some relatives over at my house right now. I haven't seen them in years so they don't really know much about me. I was watching it with my cousin (who I think is about 2 or 3 now) and they were all making fun of me for being into it. I was never ashamed of it until now :sniff:

but they're leaving tomorrow so it doesn't really matter -_-

Hmm, I hide it from some people. My extended family has no clue of my broniness. I got my little brother and sister to watch the show so I don't have to hide it from them (they love it by the way). My Mom... I don't hide it from her but she doesn't really like it. I suppose she thinks it's like the show she watched as a little girl, so she she thinks it's weird a guy my age would like it. My internet friends, don't hide it from them but they probably wish I would. Don't really talk about MLP to them because they don't like it. So I've been looking for some fellow bronies to talk to and found this place!

Nope, but since I put an effort into keeping good shape, I often get joked to be a 50s gay (you know, those guys who dressed liked policemen, with mustache and stuff)... Other people just react like "WHAT THE FU*K, PINK PONY ON YOUR phone/desktop?! Srsly."

Also, I converted 3 of my friends to bronism! 4th one is tough, but he'll go for it soon... :)

My family is the defenition of homophobic, and believe that anything deviating from the Man stereotype makes you a homosexual. As such, if I do not want to disowned, I must keep my brony-hood a secret. Either that, or my parents will sedate me and send me to shock therapy.

Haha, sounds serious! Kinda sorry for you, fellow brony.

My family is the defenition of homophobic, and believe that anything deviating from the Man stereotype makes you a homosexual. As such, if I do not want to disowned, I must keep my brony-hood a secret. Either that, or my parents will sedate me and send me to shock therapy.

Whoa.. I mean my family is pretty redneck biker types but as weird and possibly wrong they would see me liking FiM being, they would never actually 'disown' me. :!: They just think something was wrong with me or that was very weird (well, they already think the later, so it just confirm it), and they poke fun a lot.

Other people just react like "WHAT THE FU*K, PINK PONY ON YOUR phone/desktop?! Srsly."

One of my friends came into my room and saw the FiM figures up on my computer desk and I believe his words work "What! My Little Ponies! Jesus! F*CK!" After that he was back to talking to me about whatever crazy game he got and both be laughing about it. Most of my non-bronie friends react like that. They think its really odd, but if it makes me happy, they just shurg right after the initial reason and figure no big deal. None stopped being my friend over something like this, which shows how solid of friends they are.