Catching up! (Private)

Alex hummed lightly as he continued to gently sweep the wooden floors of the tavern, a slight, but concentrated smile on his face. It didn't take him much longer before he had finished, and set the broom aside. The tavern owner, a rather young-looking neon blue mare, smiled as she emerged from the kitchen area. "I can't thank you enough for stopping by and lending me a hand, sweetie." She said in a rather cheerful voice. "Why don't you go ahead and take the rest of the day off? I'll even let you have a few drinks on the house."

"Thank you, ma'am." Alex replied, smiling back. "Are you sure there's nothing else I can help with?"

"Oh, you've already done more than enough!" The mare replied. "Go on, have a few drinks and relax."

"All right, then. Nothing alcoholic though, please." He said, before taking his seat at the bar.

A small sigh escaped the mare's lips as she blew a strand of hair from her face. The day had been long with all the clients she had back to back. Being one of the only therapist in the area had its perks but, also cons to go along with it. That is not to say she didn't enjoy her job. No, she loved it. All her efforts to get back  into society's good graces had finally paid off. Allowing for her hypnotic therapy to take flight and finally earning an honest to goodness well paying job. However, it didn't hurt to take a break every now and then. HooDoo quietly entered into the local taveren nodding to a few ponies as she passed. The mare offering a pleasant smile to those she knew and a few words of conversation. If one were to show her this life she had now to the past Hoo, the younger would probably stare in disbelief. To think a former criminal to go trade in her dangerously sly disposition for that of quaint and friendly was simply unheard of. Or so she thought until that day that changed it all.

The sound of voice caused her ears to quirk in the direction it came from. Her eyes traveling to the source and widening slightly in surprise. There sitting at the bar was the grown form of one she used to cradle when he was but a small babe. Had it really been that long? The boy was much taller now, trading in his baby face for a more mature one. It took all she had in her not to run over and sweep him up in her arms. She marveled at him from a far for a moment longer before making her way up to the bar and taking the seat next to him. She placed her order and folded her hooves on top of each other in thought. What should she say? It had been quite some time since they last saw each other. What if he didn't remember her? It was quite likely that he wouldn't as he so little at the time. She didn't exactly look the same as she did back then either. Her creamy white mare wasn't as long and not styled to drape over her shoulder. It now being slightly shorter and kept up in a braided bun, with a few strands framing her face. And her mocha colored coat having lost some of the luster it held in her younger days, being a bit lighter now. None of that mattered she supposed. She had made the commitment to sit next to him. It would be rude to say nothing. "How is it that I keep running into angels in this place." She said aloud with a smile. "I suppose it is simply fate. " The mare hummed as if in acceptance before giving him her full attention with lavender eyes that seemed ageless. "What do you think, little hero?" She asked using the nickname she had given him so long ago.

The mare behind the bar hummed softly as she passed Alex a mug of soda, to which he responded with a polite thank-you and took a small sip. He noticed out of the corner of his eye a middle-aged mare walking into the tavern, before taking a seat right next to him. He was just about to strike up a polite and casual conversation, when she suddenly spoke first. He stopped and thought hard for a moment, blinking in surprise. Running into angels? He thought with a bit of curiosity. Is she a friend of my father's? Now that he thought about it, she did look quite familiar, and even the smallest glance at her faded mocha-colored coat gave him the strangest feeling of deja vu. Before he could even say another word, she spoke again, the last two words jarring his memory so hard that it almost startled him. It had been years since he had even heard that nickname. His parents always settled for "Kid", "Sport", or "Son"... with a few "honey's" and "sweeties" from his mother. He blinked a few times, and stared silently in shock for a moment, before finally reclaiming his voice. "HooDoo...?" He asked. "I... by Celestia, it is you! How are you? How have you been?!" He paused for a minute, before smiling. "Permission to hug?"

"Permission granted." She replied with a happy almost giddy nod, leaning forward to wrap her arms around him. It was then that she realized how much it would have hurt if he hadn't remembered her. A mixture of relief and joy washing over her.  A smile on her face as she hugged him, allowing her nose to be filled with his scent. Oh, how she missed her little hero. "I have been well. Even more so now. And you?" She questioned releasing him from the bear hug. The mare set back in her seat and merely took in his form. "Oh, how you've grown so much and into quite the looker at that." She teased with a wink. It was simply amazing how much he looked like his father. The boy practically the spitting image of him. "How long has it been, Alex? How old are you now?"  It seemed as if it was only yesterday when she first held the infant angel and now here he was, all grown up.

Alex chuckled as the mocha mare pulled him into a tight embrace, her arms nearly crushing the breath out of him. He hugged back as tightly as he could for a long moment, before releasing her and leaning back into his own seat, waves upon waves of nostalgia washing over him for every second he looked at her. "I could say the exact same. I seriously didn't expect to meet you here!" He said giddily, before blushing brightly at her second comment, reaching back and rubbing the back of his neck. "Heh, Aunt Luna does say that I get my good looks from my father." He replied with a chuckle. "I just turned twenty years old a few months ago... Wow, has it really been that long?"

"Twenty years old." She mused with a shake of her head as if she couldn't believe it. "It doesn't seem that long does it? It seems like it was only yesterday you were small enough for me to carry." The mare laughed before taking a sip of her drank. "Never thought I'd sound like somepony's  grandmare." Had it really been that long? Surely it couldn't have. She found it rather humorous how time worked. There was never enough and it moved far too quickly. Still, it was a rather nice surprise to see the little angel all grown up. And even more so that he remembered her. "So, tell me Alex. What have you been up to? Staying clear of the Everfree I hope."  The mare asked quirking a brow.

((Sorry about the wait. Also not sure why the Quote Box is there...couldn't get it to go away. >w>))

"It really doesn't seem like all that long ago." Alex replied with a small chuckle, tapping his index finger on the side of his mug of cider. "Come on, you're not that old! Your appearance has changed a bit, but you still look like the same amazing babysitter that took care of me as a child. And Twilight says that Cadence is the best babysitter in all of Equestria." He said with a wide grin, before chuckling again at the last bit. "Who, me? Why, what ever are you talking about~?" He said, feigning ignorance, before giving a childish giggle. "Well, now that you mentioned it, my father is retiring soon, and it'll be my turn to take his place as the Angel of Equestria. So far, all I'm doing is just helping out with small jobs for now. Celestia doesn't really feel comfortable sending me off on anything too dangerous just yet. In my spare time, I like to just relax and write a few songs. I even taught myself to play the guitar."

"Oh, stop it you. You're making this old mare blush." She chuckled moving her hoof in a dismissive position at his flattering comment. She had made a promise to herself years ago that she wouldn't abuse her body with ways of retaining a youthful look that so many other mares fell victim to. Dyeing manes. Applying odd creams to their skin that Celestia knows what they were made from. No, she rather wanted to age with grace.  Aesthetic beauty was never really of concern to her. She was only considered middle age now so, maybe she was doing something right. "Mmhm." She hummed sending him a knowing look at his innocent disposition.  She could remember the time quite well when the angel nearly gave her a heart attack. Wandering off into the Everfree as soon as she turned her back. Her brows raised at the mention of Zed. "Oh, is that so?" Zed was retiring. Well that was news to her. Then again she couldn't really blame him. In his line of work it was probably taxing to keep up as one aged. Then it occurred to her. Alex would be expected to handle such dangerous task. A part of her wanted nothing more than to shake the poor boy the shoulders and urge him to pick a different occupation. To protect him from the harsh reality that would surely come from the title he would inherit form his father. Hoo mentally sighed as she continued to watch him. No, she wouldn't do that. She couldn't. She didn't have that right. He was grown now. No longer needing her protection when his parents couldn't be there to do it themselves.  He coud handle it and the least she could was to trust him.

"Really? Well I hope you realize that I expect a personal concert now." She replied folding her hooves neatly over each other. "It's the least you could for growing up on me." The unicorn mare stated as if he hadn't any other option. "How is Zed and Thunder?" She asked after a few moments. Zed was retiring yet what of his mother? She was never sure that the mare forgave her for what had happened between them in the past. She wouldn't fault her for that either. "Do you still live with them?"

Alex chuckled a little when Hoo gave him a rather knowing look when he jokingly feigned ignorance. He could only imagine just how much of a handful he was, wandering off into the Everfree or being kidnapped by crazed goons looking for revenge. However, in times where most caretakers would give up and quit on the spot, HooDoo would always stay and be more than happy to return. "Heh, I know. I was quite the troublemaker back then. The Everfree was just so fascinating for some reason." He said with a grin, before quirking an eyebrow. "A personal concert? Well, I'd be more than happy to, at the teensy price of another hug." He chuckled. "Mom and Dad are doing well, for the most part. The only thing bothering them is me taking on the new title my father carried. I can't say I'm a little nervous myself, since I've witnessed first-hand at a young age the responsibilities my father had." He sighed and gave a small shrug. "Other than that, they're doing a lot better. Mother is still running her restaurant, and Dad plans to spend as much time as he can helping her out... despite how terrible he is at cooking." He chuckled. "I live in a house nearby, and I stop in to visit frequently. Who knows? Maybe I'll even have a wife of my own one day. If I had a bit for every mare that gave me some desire-filled look, I'd be a millionaire."

"I must admit that I share their worries for you, Alex." She admitted as he spoke of his parents. "Your father had a pretty tough job. I'm sure you know the dangers that he had to face." The middle aged pony didn't like the thought of Alex being put in the same position. He would have to face his father's adversaries along with any new age criminals. "Alex. Promise me that you want hesitate  to call upon me if you need my help." She reached out a hoof placing it on top his hand to further gain his attention. "I might not be as spry as I used to but, I can still hold my on." She winked before drawing her hoof back to herself. "I mean it. Anything you need. I'll be there for you."

"A wife?" She shook her head in mock disappointment. "My dear Alex, I thought I taught you better than that. Mare's have cooties. Don't you remember?" She pulled a face sticking out her tongue and scrunching her nose. She stopped fixing him with a grin as if to say 'I'm joking' and levitating her drink to her mouth taking a sip. She still found it rather mind boggling that he was old enough to be entertaining such thoughts. Still she had to accept the fact that Alex had grown up. She pondered the thought a moment longer before her curiosity got the better of her. "Has one caught your fancy?" She had to be at least a little nosey. She

Alex nodded slightly, glancing down at his mug for a long moment. It was no surprise to him at all that HooDoo shared his parents' worries about him taking up his father's line of work. After all, HooDoo had always been there to protect him in the rare times no one else would be able to, and had been his caretaker for as long as he could remember. However, rather than being annoyed like most young adults would be, the young man found it sweet that he still had protection even during the more mature years of his youth. "Don't worry. I promise, if I ever need anything, you'll be the first to know." He said with a smile, before taking a sip from his cider.

He nearly choked from laughter at the mocha colored mare's response to his comment on finding a marefriend, instantly reminded of the days he would avoid females at all costs to spare himself of the horrible "cooties" virus. "Heh, well I think I finally grew to adapt to those horrible cooties." He chuckled, before shaking his head in response. "Unfortunately, no. So far, the ones who have shown any interest have either been too shy to approach me, or they just want a chance at fame because they're close to the new Angel of Equestria."

Archived