Official Discussion Thread - S06E13 Stranger Than Fan Fiction

daring__don_t_do_that__by_miz_jynx-d6y0q

Please, don't do that! >.<

Rejoice, the mini-hiatus is over, rejoice!   Now that the ponies we all adore are back we have of course, a new episode! This week we have an episode focusing on Rainbow Dash as she attends a Daring Do fan convention, because she is such an egghead! :shock: Will she meet other  eggheads fans and fangasm over the myriad of Daring Do adventure books, collect the latest DD action figures, maybe she'll LARP with other fanfillies? ('Cuz she's an egghead! :!:)  Will Daring Do herself make an appearance and learn that some fans make and sell dakimakuras  of her? Tune in the find out! The episode airs Saturday 11:30 AM EST on July 30th!! :) <3

This thread is dedicated to discussing the episode before, during, and afterwards. As the thread is now open it may indeed contain spoilers. I ask that potential spoilers talked about or shown before the episode airs stay within the spoiler tags please, after the episode you no longer have to use the spoiler tags, but warning, if you haven't seen the episode yet after it airs, this thread no doubt will have all sorts of spoilers in reviews, images, etc. So tread at your own risk. :blush:

This was a really quite fun episode. Rainbow was flat out adorable. Quibble was hilarious. Daring Do was awesome. Great way to kick off the seond half of season six.

Wonder how hard people are going to ship it?

Thoughts are below in spoilers as always.

Spoiler

Quite the return for this show. We get another Daring Do episode!!

Something was quite obvious in this one. They were clearly using this to make 'statements' about the brony fandom. At least in the sense that there are also those within this fandom who complain as much about this show as Quibble did about the Daring Do books. The obvious example being those who say that 'this season was the best' or 'the other seasons past this season are bad' and stuff like that. I'm not immune from this either. I'll admit I can sometimes complain to much. However it's never about 'seasons' for me. It's always about certain things they decide to do. :unsure:

Anyway, the obvious fandom statement aside, this was a pretty hilarious episode. Patton Oswalt fit the character perfectly. It was quite hilarious and Rainbow Dash being her Daring Do fan-self all over again was good to see again. :P

The Quibble instances were pretty funny and hilarious too sometimes. Especially when he kept insulting Caballeron and continued to not believe it was real. :lol:

This was just an overall fun episode with a good statement when it comes to fandoms. We shouldn't argue about when it was good or what 'season's' we like. We all like the show for our own reasons and arguing about it really the best way to go about it. We just all like it in a certain way.

Great start for the return from hiatus with a great episode.

:idea:

Very good episode, and definitely a reflection of this and many other fandoms! 

Love the convention setting and all its wonders, the adventures the two fans have, and of course Patton Oswalt portraying Quibble Pants. 

Great second half of the season opener! 

Spoiler

This was a very likeable episode.  You have to wonder if the writers were trying to match all of the 'fandom' qualities found at the typical 'BronyCon' setting.  The episode's 'moral' was a bit weak, but still, overall, great episode!

Since I wasn’t the biggest fan of ‘Daring Do’ being real, my expectations were rather low, but I enjoyed it.

On 7/30/2016 at 3:24 PM, RarityDash said:

This was a really quite fun episode. Rainbow was flat out adorable. Quibble was hilarious. Daring Do was awesome. Great way to kick off the seond half of season six.

Wonder how hard people are going to ship it?

Spoiler

Rainbow was pretty frisky with the guy, pouncing on him like that.

mqoeuGQ.png

and also...Daring Do love pillows?

SehfFs7.png

And love Quibble Pants' snarky comments..Cripes...Patton Oswalt has been popping up on a lot of my favorite shows as of lately...And now he's gonna be on MST3K! :D

Yep. A great episode to start off the second part of season six.

And we also get to see Martini Paradise's less than successful sister...

Spoiler

qNfsOcP.png

I enjoyed this episode, but it wasn't anything all that special to me.  It was fun, but there wasn't anything more substantial to it.  Still, there's nothing wrong with an episode just being *fun*.  The arguing between Dash and Quibble annoyed me.  more specifically, Quibble annoyed me.  And the moral of the story was a little bit 'out of the blue'.  It didn't connect, exactly, with the episode.   He didn't realize *why* it was OK for ponies to have other opinions than he did until after he got into the 'awesomeness' a bit.  Once he had enjoyed something, THEN it was OK for other ponies to like it too, even if it wasn't his favorite part.  There was no, "I don't get it, but OK, everypony's different" moment, which would have been far better.His reaction was more, "Well, I can't be angry at you because you're my friend now," and coming up with an excuse not to pursue his previous jerkitude ... emotional moral rather than ethical moral.

Once again, since it's a Rainbow Dash episode, I can't help but compare it to my own playing of Rainbow Dash, and our own Daringcon thread.  There were similar elements of Dash and Carrot in Dash and Quibble.  "Oh, look, a fan-stallion I just met!  Let's hang out together!"  Then, too, Quibble's final moment of "I like the analytical Daring Do who thinks her way through problems.  you like the awesome Daring Do who does amazing stunts." showed up in our Daringcon thread - when Silver Screen, Pathfinder, and Rainbow Dash, all looking like triplets, had their little impromptu roleplay where each of them took a different aspect of Daring Do's personality.  There was the roaming of the dealer's room and little jokes there, followed by a trip to the snack tables.  Except when Dash and Carrot fought in the middle of the food area, it was a contest for eating hot peppers instead of arguing about who's a true fan.

All in all, I kept having major moments of Deja Vu when I was watching this episode, but I think I preferred our Daringcon.

• Dio unpinned this topic

Archived