Watchers on the Wall (Private)

MetalBronyATL

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A watchman reluctantly approached the large wooden door as he unlocked the large iron lock, letting the chains fall to the icy ground with a loud thud. A large gust of frozen wind slowly blew the large door open as the rusted hinges squeaked and moaned. Within the darkness that filled the room, Two piercing crimson eyes glared outwards along with a blood curling grin sending chills down the spine of any grown man, the smile of a predator with great lust for liquid red. Finally a surprisingly beautiful woman with blood red hair stepped out revealing the black steel plate armor, though wasn't traditional Night Watchman attire. On the shoulder plate was an insignia of an iron cross and in the middle a skull with a dagger stabbed through the top. Killjoy took a look around noticing new members and chuckled under her breathe, her eyes met Kane's and then Trax's, her eyes stayed on the both of them for a second longer before walking towards the execution block. Her mouth finally opened as she faced the deserter "Desertion...." she said sternly before facing the crowd of watchmen, but focusing on the new members "gets only ONE form of punishment....and that's death." she then grinned "its always funny...running away so you can live, but in the end...all there is...is death waiting for you. Either be death defending the wall, or dying as a coward with no one having any respect left for you." she pointed at the deserter. "this little piggy chose option B." she leaned closely into the deserter's face as he shook with fear "not a very good choice was it? Though luckily for you" she grabbed him by the hair "I didn't find you..." she whispered for only him to hear. She grabbed a large claymore from the weapons rack, the sword raised high into the air as the sun shined on the blade, but revealing the stains of blood down the edge. In a split second, the sword came down, letting the head roll on the wooden floor before dropping down in front of the crowd as a pool of blood flowed into the icy snow. Killjoy looked at the new members "I am Nightwatchman Killjoy, Ranger/Castle's executioner and interrogator. If you do anything that would endanger the Night's Watch...we will have words." she said with that grin still on her face. "welcome to the wall...."

Trax watched with narrowed eyes, she practically reaked of death, every bone in his body told him to kill her before she killed him. But the old Stallion knew better, "She's... Charming..." He turned to Blade, "So, I want to become a Ranger, lets get to it." He said calmly as his muscles moved under his skin.

Tavi shook herself clear, "If you want to make a visit there, I will accompany you."

From the top of the stairs of the main building in the castle, Soul nodded to Killjoy before returning inside. Kane watched his father, wishing he knew why he had become so cold. "I hope you become one of us, friend, but it's not my decisions, only the Lord Commander's. You will have a chance to prove yourself in time."

Killjoy stared at Trax for a second knowing all too well of what he was thinking, her eyes narrowed "hmmm...his insticts are on point, I'll be watching you." She mumbled to herself. She then walked off and went up the stairs to where Soul was. She opened the door "Soul..." she huffed "Lord Commander" she said walking up to him "I'm quite surprised you didn't introduce me to your son, though come to think of it, you never really talked of him." She said in a cold tone "and here I thought we were friends." She said sarcastically.

"Well lets get to it then shall we?" Trax said with a hint of impatience. His abilities were already far above the average, he only had curiosity, of the kind of trials they were against. He knows Soul, fought and bled beside him, both know each others strengths and weaknesses. But that was also years ago.

• 2 weeks later...

"It's complicated, Killjoy." Soul said blankly, not wanting to discuss his family situation. "Don't give him special treatment just because he's my son. He needs to be broken in just like the rest of us. I need to make sure he becomes a man." he said turning to return to his quarters. "However, don't let Slipknot abuse him. He still resents me for being elected Lord Commander over him and will want to use Kane to get a reaction out of me. Kane needs to become a man, but Slipknot will not make that happen." 

"You've only just arrived, my friend. Your mettle will be tested soon enough. Here a man gets what he earns, when he earns it." Blade said as he gathered his gear. "As First Ranger I must lead patrols beyond the wall. We will speak when I return." 

Killjoy grinned sadistically "Oh I'll break them in." she chuckled chillingly "Slipknot is nothing but an insect...I'll make sure that worm does what he's told..." she said coldly as she went to leave "I'll make sure of that." She walked out the door. "SLIPKNOT, LINE THEM UP!" she shouted with authority.

• 1 month later...

((I'm skipping ahead a few days so that they've had a few days to train))

Slipknot and Killjoy put the new recruits through hell and back the first week since arriving at the Wall. The training was brutal, unlike any training that the armies of Equestria or other nations have had to face. Many recruits were brutalized in the training. The only two new recruits that seemed to take the training well were Kane, due to being raised by Soul and having only the best teach him the ways of combat for most of his life, and Trax, who had been through a lifetime of war. However, this made the other recruits bitter and they resented them for beating them down on a daily basis. Tensions also rose between Slipknot and Killjoy, who both wanted to train the recruits how they wanted, and the disagreements often led to more pain for the recruits. 

Kane stood in the middle of four other recruits with wooden swords and leather training armor. One of them lunged for Kane, but Kane backed out of the way and struck him hard with the wooden sword before quickly turning to strike another attacking recruit. He kicked the third recruit in the chest before delivering what would be a killing blow in a real fight. He swung the wooden sword around his body right into the chest of the other recruit knocking him flat on his back. Slipknot stood there unimpressed. "Did your daddy teach you that, your majesty?" he taunted coldly. Kane glared at him angrily wanted to strike at him too. "What? Did I offend you, Prince Kane? Are you going to hang me for insulting you Prince Kane?" Kane gripped the wooden sword tightly in anger. For days the other recruits taunted him for being more skilled than them, and "Prince Kane" became a common insult against him.

The sound of four bodies hitting the cold ground brought attentiong off Kane, Trax stood dusting his hands off as the four fellow recruits lay dazed in the snow, "You know Slippy, keep taunting the boy, and it'll be your sorry @ss he drops next." He told him jokingly, but his icy blue stare was a warning to Slipknot, be careful who you insult. Trax glanced around seeing some of the recruits giving him dirty looks, "Alright, show of hands and I'll teach ya how I just did that."

A hand was raised "I want to see..." Killjoy's voice rung out "just how good that trick is against someone who can actually fight." She said stepping down the stairs. As much as she loved the hatred toward Slipknot, she still had a duty to uphold. Make an example out of those who talk back to their superiors. Since Slipknot was doing nothing to defend himself. "I'll be your next opponent since my partner doesn't have the b@lls to stand up for himself."

Slipknot glared at Killjoy, but before he could respond a guard called down to the courtyard below. "A rider approaches!" The gate to the tunnel that ran through the Wall into the courtyard of the castle opened as a single bloody and battered horse weakly trotted in. It was Blade's horse, but he wasn't on it. Instead a dead watchman dragged on the ground behind it. Soul emerged from the Lord Commander's quarters and walked down to the courtyard. He froze in shock when he saw Blade's horse and the dead man. "Blade..." He said under his breath as his horse finally collapsed and died. "Wildlings...they took him. They wish to feel our wrath again." Slipknot said with anger. 

Trax looked at Killjoy feeling uneasy, he'd have to make a few adjustments to his movements if he wanted to bring her down, though now with the commotion, he could relax a little. "Wildlings? He asked dumbly so the other recruits could have an explanation.

Killjoy growled and started walking towards the the dead horse and rider. "We'll pick this up at a later date Trax." she said walking passed Trax with a side glare. "Soul, If I may...let me take a party out to retrieve Blade. Just give me three good men and I'll have him home within a fortnight." Killjoy said wanting to go out north of the wall to do what she does best.

"Wildlings...barbarians who live north of the wall. Godless savages who have tried to destroy our lands for centuries. The reason we're here." Slipknot said in disgust, for years of service at the wall have made him hate the Wildlings with a fiery passion. Soul stared at the dead rider for a few moments before answering. "Very well, KIlljoy." He said before looking at Trax and Kane. "You two are no good to me here beating young boys with sticks. Go with her. Prove your worth to the Watch." He said, his tone of voice as if he had no idea who they were in an attempt not to show favoritism. He then looked to another member of the Watch who was sitting alone in a corner with a hooded cloak. "Bloodline, you join them as well." Blood emerged from the shadows and removed his hood, revealing he was slightly pale. "Yes Lord Commander." A few other watchmen moved the dead horse and body away. "You will go north of the wall at dawn's first light." Soul said before turning to leave. 

Killjoy bowed her head "as you wish." she said not entirely liking the fact she's taking two recruits, but even she knew that experience is the best teacher. Her times in battle has made her see many things, one being to never underestimate without knowledge of the opponent. Killjoy glanced at Kane and Trax "you heard the man, you two are dismissed, use the remaining of your time for preparations and rest." she ordered waving them off. She looked at Bloodline and just gave a nod before walking to her quarters to start getting her things ready.

Trax dipped his head to Killjoy, he could feel her bloodlust from where he stood, but he still showed her respect due to their ranks. Tapping on Kanes shoulder, "Lets show em what we're made of alright?"

Kane nodded, looking a bit nervous. He had heard the stories all his life about what lived beyond the wall. But he knew he had to be brave, and with the training he had he could face anything. Slipknot shot then both a glare before turning back to the other recruits. "Back to work, you maggots." He barked at the recruits. Bloodline nodded back to Killjoy. He wasn't as senior as Soul or Killjoy, but had still been at the wall for a long time. 

Killjoy glanced back at Slipknot's resentment and smirked "that's right...sulk in defeat worm." she said to herself. as she opened the door to her chamber as light shined in revealing all sorts of weapons from all corners of the world lining the walls along with torn and partially burned banners of different nations. Though one banner was in perfect condition as it was hung over her bed, the banner had an insignia of the Sun and Moon together as if in perfect harmony, two swords crossed behind them with a large shield surrounding everything, under the insignia was a open scroll  showing in big letters "Es lebe das Reich des Mondes und der Sonne, möge die Herrlichkeit ewig sein." 

"Long live the Empire of the moon and sun, may the glory be eternal..." Killjoy mumbled her breathe and scoffed as she sat down unstrapping her armor. one by one the pieces fell to the floor. The cold never much bothered her, she actually was quite fond of the cold weather on the wall. She looked down at herself, the scars of her past present themselves. She sighed and leaned back in her chair looking at the ceiling as she dangled a pendant from her hand. It was a gold pendant with a dark purple stone with bright spots as it was the night sky. "six years..." she whispered.

Several hours later, the sun was beginning to lower. Kane had finished preparing all his gear and was laying in his bed watching the ceiling. The quarters in the castle were crude and uncomfortable, but after all the training Kane was happy to sleep in it. 

Just as Kane was about to shut his eyes and sleep, he heard a loud noise from outside. He quickly put on his cloak before stepping outside with a torch in hand. The sound seemed to have come from across the castle courtyard, near the Lord Commander's chambers. Kane walked over to Trax's room and gently tapped on the door. "Trax...Trax come out here." He said through the door.

Archived