Watchers on the Wall (Private)

MetalBronyATL

Killjoy peeked out her door showing only half her face. Her face looked like a zombie's as she was still half asleep "wha...? whose making noise?" she mumbled as she stumbled out of her door and looked at Kane and Trax, she squinted to get her vision clear "if you two insist on playing outside in the middle of the night, at least keep it down..." she said yawning but then stiffened up "wait...what the he|| are you two doing out here?" she said now more awake, then heard the noise coming from Soul's chambers. She then pulled out a dagger from her coat and started going up the stairs motioning the two to follow.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The three carefully approached the main hall of the castle and gently opened the door to Soul's chambers. There was nothing there at first, but suddenly the door slammed shut and behind them stood the dead ranger that came back with Blade's horse, except he wasn't dead anymore. Before Kane could react, the undead ranger knocked him aside with a powerful punch before charging Trax and Killjoy with a hatchet. 

Killjoy quickly stepped in front of Trax using her dagger to cut off the dead ranger's hand that was holding the hatchet before driving the dagger into it's skull making it fall to the floor. "did I kill it...?" she asked nudging it with her foot.

The dead ranger remained motionless for a while before it's eyes suddenly opened. It swiftly kicked Killjoy's legs out from under her before pulling the hatchet out of its head and charging at Trax. 

Trax stepped back grabbing the undead rangers arm and twisting him around into a takedown, Trax then held him down firmly. "Alright buddy," He picked up in a tight hold and faced him towards Killjoy, "Apologize to the Lady, that was rude of you not to die."

"well I can't kill it." Killjoy grabbed the Ranger, turning it around and kicking it out the through the door as it flipped over the railing landing on it's head nearly crushing it. "I'll destroy it..." she said grabbing a torch and throwing it onto the Ranger as it instantly lit ablaze."

The undead ranger shrieked and thrashed as it burned until it stopped moving, finally permanantly destroyed. Soul finally emerged carrying a lantern to see what was happening and was shocked to see that the dead ranger had risen again. Kane soon stood beside him. "Wait...if the ranger came back...would that mean-" before he could finished, Blade's horse, now also undead, suddenly charged them from the darkness. With almost no time to react, Kane grabbed the lantern from Soul. He cried out in pain as the fire and hot iron severely burned his hand, but he fought through the pain and hurled the lantern at the undead horse, setting it aflame and destroying it.

Soul's eyes remained fixed on the burning corpses for a long moment. "The first men destroyed them thousands of years ago, and the dead haven't risen since...until now." More watchmen had awoken and entered the courtyard, one of which put a handful of snow in Kane's hand to try and soothe his burns. 

"White walkers...If they are returning...." Killjoy looked at Soul "We are all to face our deaths on this wall, we are too few in numbers." she said looking back at the burning corpses. The thought of dying didn't concern her, it was the thought of becoming one of them that she feared. "we aren't ready..."

Soul gripped his fist as the corpses finally became ash. "If this is true, Blade may be in more danger than we thought." He said turning to Killjoy. "You will still go beyond the wall at dawn's first light. We have to save our brothers, we'll need their numbers." He then looked to Kane. "Except you, you're no good with that hand."

"I will make a decision in the morning. Get some rest." Soul said before turning back to Kane. "Go see what the maester can do for your hand. I want you back to training as soon as possible." Kane stood back up to look at Soul. "It's not that bad, father. I can still-" he tried to protest before Soul interrupted him. "I am not your father, boy! I am your commander and I gave you an order. Now go!" He said harshly before leaving. Kane glared at his father as he left, his other hand forming a fist.

Trax put a hand on Kanes shoulder, "He's doing it to protect you Kane, remember that. Imagine how everyone would treat you, if you were given special treatment. Go easy on him, its harder on him then he lets on."

Killjoy glanced at Soul "going easy on your son Lord Commander?" She asked knowing it was impossible for Soul to keep up the act. "Surely a burnt hand isn't something to throw him out of an operation." She looked forward at the wall "people will doubt your position if you keep this up."

Soul turned back to Killjoy. "So you're telling me that you prefer to take a young boy who's been at the wall for only a week who can't use his sword hand and has no knowledge of fighting left handed to join you on a high-risk mission so he can do absolutely nothing, leaving you to have to babysit him and risk getting all of you killed by wildlings or worse?" He said in a stern tone. "You keep thinking you're invincible, Killjoy, but you're not. I could care less that he's my son. What I do care about is preserving as many able bodies as possible, because in case you can't tell, winter is coming. And I'll be damned if I throw away perfectly good swords because of stupidity." With that Soul finally left the room for good. Kane looked away from everybody else, trying not to show that his father's words bothered him.

Killjoy just smirked and chuckled  "he's getting soft..." she whispered to her self as she headed to her chambered remembering her early days in the royal army of the Moon and Sun. Where she trained, injuries were of no concern, if you died...you died. No exceptions, fight and feel no pain or fear. Killjoy looked up at all the stars that shined in the sky and took a deep breathe of the cold fridged air and exhaled watching the steam come from her breath. "Winter...is...coming." she mumbled taking a gloved off to feel the frosty breeze. "when it comes...what is white will turn red."

Trax walked up to Killjoy standing at attention, he may be prideful, but he knew there would be a time when he would rise to her equal. For the moment, he respected her rank and station, "Ma'm I will see you at dawn, ready for our mission."

The next day...

The sun was barely peaking over the horizon as the men of the Night's Watch rose from their beds to begin their daily tasks. Near the front of the gate, Blood was the first of them to arrive at the tunnel that led north of the wall. They often called the land north of the wall the "Land of Always Winter" due to the fact that for over 10,000 years, it never stopped snowing, and if you go far enough you'll freeze to death in seconds. 

Kane was summoned to Soul's chambers the next morning. His hand was bandaged from the burn he received. "You asked for me, Lord Commander?" Kane said, his voice showing bitterness from his father's words last night. "Yes, son." Soul said, giving Kane the feeling that he wasn't using the word "son" to describe him as his child, but just a boy. "When does the maester think you can use that hand again?" Kane looked down at his bandaged hand. "Soon, actually." He responded. "Good, you'll be able to use this." Soul said, suddenly pulling out a sword in a dark black sheathe. The pommel featured a white wolf's head. "Whitefang. My father carried it, and his father before him. Our family has wielded it for seven centuries." Soul stopped for a moment and was silent. "It...it was meant for your brother, before he dishonored the family." Kane hesitated before taking the sword and putting it under his arm, carefully using his good hand to pull the sword a few inches out of the sheathe. "This is Valyrian steel..." Kane said in shock, for Valyrian steel was legendary. Only a few smiths remained who knew how to forge Valyrian steel, before the kingdom of Valyria was completely destroyed. Soul put a hand on his shoulder. "If I show compassion towards you, the others will see it as favoritism. That is why I am hard on you. Always remember, Kane, even though I don't show it, you are my son. Now go." Soul said, walking past a shocked Kane towards where the others were to meet.

Trax appeared beside him as two Watchmen passed by, he had talent in the art of stealth, he could always be somewhere without anyone noticing. "Finally passing down the torch eh? Sorry for eavesdropping, I remember you wielding that sword during our times together."

"This old bear didn't need it anymore." Soul said simply. "The same goes for you, my friend. I am only the way I am because I have to be. The day a Lord Commander sacrifices all for the sake of one is the day we all fall. I know you understand much better than Kane does." He was quiet for a moment before walking again. "But nevermind that, our brother is lost somewhere out there, and we have to find him." He led Trax to the tunnel where Blood was waiting. "Bloodline here has been north of the wall almost as much as Killjoy and I have. He can track a flea on a wolf's ass halfway across the world. With any luck you'll find Blade in no time." Blood nodded to Trax respectfully, a small smile forming that revealed that his teeth were fanged. "Don't let him startle you either, once you've seen what's north of the wall, vampires will be your best friend."

Trax smirked with a slightly chuckle, "Actually this is quite familiar, its not the first time I've fought beside a Vampire. Though in my case the Bloodsucker betrayed me and left me for dead, but if Soul trusts you, I dont see us having any troubles." He let out a laugh to lighten the mood but he also wanted to ask Bloodline a question, he bore a striking resemblance to the Vampire he knew."

Killjoy's room door opened as she was now back in her full plate black steel armor. Though now with fur lining the joints and around the collar. The Nightwatch cloak clipped onto her chest plate. Her helmet under her left arm.  She tightened the strap of the sheath that held her Claymore. Killjoy glanced at the group "where is the third, the replacement for Kane?" She asked looking to Soul.

"An old friend and veteran of the watch from one of the other castles. I sent a raven in the night telling him to meet you near the godswood." Soul said. "Your mission is clear. Find Blade and return him here, dead or alive." He glanced at Trax, having faith in his friend that he would survive what lies beyond the wall.

((Trax if you want to bring in another character. I can use a stock character for this but if you want to add Drop or somebody you can. Completely up to you, just thought I would offer.))

Archived