Watchers on the Wall (Private)

MetalBronyATL

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Twilight sighed. "I'm glad he's safe, but now that he's taken the black, it's official. He can never leave again." She got up and walked over to the window. "What's going on in our kingdom, Tavi? The Black Legion marches against the western lords, tensions are running high between us and Crystal Empire once again, and where is my whole family for it all? A thousand miles to the north in a frozen wasteland, waiting to die either from the cold or from wildling raids." 

Tavi sighed feeling her worry, she may not know where her children are, but at the very least, she didnt know. Meaning she couldn't really worry about nothing. "Trust in them, have faith, and they'll make it back to you safe and sound." Was she could say to comfort her friend.

"I suppose it is...It was the least I could do to see out my trainees. I've made them some what useful so you should be fine for a bit. Just make sure that whoever takes my place, they know the ways of combat. If it helps, I've already picked a candidate." Killjoy said crossing her arms. Still quite guilty of leaving the Nightswatch so close to winter.

Killjoy growled "That curiosity will get you killed one day..." she said in a cold tone. "As much as I hate with all my being....to say it. Given the choices I had to work with and the very few that even came close to my expectations. The one I chose to take my place as Ranger and Instructor is you Trax, the only one here besides Soul who knows what it's like to be in actual combat." she said with an annoyed huff "It was really the only choice. The wall needs soldiers again, not criminals with knives." She glared at Trax "So that means if I so much as hear a whisper that you've neglected this duty, I will come back here and have your skin nailed to the gates for all to see!" her tone made it obvious she was serious, she didn't take her role lightly. "and don't give these recommendations often, so don't f**k it up!" Killjoy stopped herself as she noticed Soul still standing there and cleared her throat "but in the end, it's up to the Lord Commander what is best for you in the Nightswatch." 

Trax smiled nervously, "Well... thank you for the... goodbye speech. Should it be, I won't let you down." He told her awkwardly, at the back of his mind he was glad he didnt share the story of how he was caught in the first place. Drunk, and using a wooden knife to take out several Imperial Soldiers.

Soul rolled his eyes at the banter before looking at Killjoy. "I think that is a wonderful idea, Killjoy. I will allow it. Trax will be a ranger, an instructor and castle enforcer in your place." Kane looked at his father and Trax, feeling better about his time here now that they were in charge. "Let us all return to the castle. I want all the men summoned in the main hall and Killjoy can depart with Princess Luna." 

Several hours later...

The Night's Watch were all seated at tables in the main hall eating breakfast. Soul sat in the middile of the large table at one end of the room with the other officers. Blade was seated to his left, wearing a robe to cover all of his injuries and currently using a cane to walk. Trax was now seated to his right. Slipknot sat on the far end of the table glaring at Trax with anger at Trax rising to such a position so fast. Kane sat amongst the other normal members of the Watch. Soul quickly looked over the room, making sure everybody was present. He took a large gulp of ale before standing. "Brothers!" he called as a hush fell over the room and all eyes turned to him. "As you all know, thanks to the bravery of several of our rangers, First Ranger Gleaming Blade was rescued from the wildlings." The room cheered for Blade's survival as he smiled and nodded to the brothers in the room. "Despite the torture he endured, none of his injuries were fatal, and in time he will be able to return to service. This will of course take time, so I'm naming Drop Shot to serve as First Ranger until Blade recovers." The brothers in the room cheered again for Drop before Soul held a hand up to keep speaking. "Also, some of you may have heard the news, but Killjoy is no longer a member of the Night's Watch, and she is departing from the Wall as we speak. For his part in Blade's rescue, Nameless Trax has been elevated to replace her." One of the men stood up. "Why is she leaving, Lord Commander?" he asked. Soul hesitated before answering. "She was offered a pardon by royal decree by Princess Luna to fight against the Western Lands,,,and she accepted it." A large number of the men in the room stood in anger, outraged that she would abandon them. The words "Traitor," "Coward," and "Weak" were tossed around the room at random. Soul sighed in annoyance, expecting a reaction like this. 

Trax patted Souls shoulder as he stood up, "Greetings my Fellow Brethren, I'm sure you all feel some sort of animosity towards our departing Sister, but as siblings in arms shouldnt we feel happy for those who are pulled away to leave? She was singled out to partake in a glorious defensive against our Western Neighbors, we should be giving her our deepest wishes for her safety." As he spoke, Trax made his way to the center of the hall. Drop rolled his eyes and sat back grabbing his drink, "Here we go." He said with a sigh. Trax untied his sword belt and set it down, "Those of you who feel differently about this, can come here, and we settle this like Men. As the Man who is replacing her, its only proper to assert myself anyhow. Any takers?"

Killjoy strapped her sword on the back of a horse along with a few bags as the last of her things. Killjoy looked back at the courtyard and took one last minute to gaze at everything. She sighed as she turned back around. "You'll see this wall again." Luna said standing next to her. Killjoy glanced at Luna "well on how things are going, you might be right." She replied. Luna smiled "then let us make this war a quick one." 

Killjoy nodded as she went to get up on her horse but Luna put a hand her shoulder "oh no, my new general isn't going to ride horse back all the way back to Canterlot. You're riding with me in the comfort of my wagon." She said she pointed to the large decorated wagon. Killjoy sighed in submission "fine, let's go then." She said as they both climbed in. Finally the wagon and the Black Legion soldiers along side woven forward out of the gate, leaving the wall.

Blood stood in the window of a turret on the castle, watching Luna's party depart from the wall. His eyes met Echo's until she was out of sight. "Farewell...my love..." he whispered to himself, the first time he had said those words in years after he shut her out of his heart. 

"It's alright, Trax." Soul said, diffusing the situation. "I know you all feel that she has abandoned us, but your concern shouldn't be with her, or with the meaningless wars of the south. We are brothers of the Night's Watch, and we have been fighting the real war for thousands of years. And that war has come to our doorstep once again." The room grew quiet as they listened to their Lord Commander. "There is a wildling army forming beyond the wall. Mephistopheles leads them. He was a brother once, and he knows the Wall better than anyone. He could be our undoing." The watchmen in the room whispered amongst themselves as Soul's words. "Which is why we will ride forth beyond the wall, find that traitor and dismantle his army before they have a chance to mobilize." Soul intentionally left out the part about the White Walkers, the wildlings were the more immediate threat and the last thing he needed was a mass exodus of deserters who'd rather face the chopping block than white walkers. 

Twilight sat in her chambers reading over a scroll before sighing. Tensions in Equestria were rising like never before. Canterlot was already on shaky ground with other kingdoms, even the Crystal Empire who had historically been their greatest ally. "So it's official then, the Black Legion marches on the Western Lands. More violence and war will come." She set the scroll down and rubbed her temples. 

Trax glanced back noticing he'd left the white walkers out of it, "We're tredding on thin ice here old friend, we need to be careful." He side quietly as the room was in uproar from their Commanders words. Drop looked from his brother to the Lord Commander, from his experience working with them both, he could tell there was something being held back.

In the throne hall of Canterlot giant castle, Queen Celestia sat reading through a few papers, sweat slid down her cheeks. Her eyes were dull as they moved across the page and back again, she licked her lips as they were dry, "So many conflicts, no rest, only actions taken. When will this all end?"

"I know." Soul replied quietly. He sighed before quieting the room again. "Make every necessary preparations to head north. Stock up because we'll be gone for a while. Dismissed." He ordered the men in the room as they began to file out. Kane stayed behind with the older men, despite being a common brother he felt most comfortable around them, and he also wanted to hear more of the situation. 

Twilight entered the throne room with a pitcher of water and approached Celestia. "Here, relax a bit." She said handing it to her before sitting on one of the steps to the throne. "I've been thinking about the situation recently. I may have an idea, but it's a huge risk." 

Celestia set her papers aside and poured herself a cup of water, "At this point, any plan is better than our current one. What did you have in mind?"

Trax strapped his belt back up and walked back to his seat, "How many do you plan to bring?" He asked curiously. "Rather, how many do you plan to Leave behind to guard the wall?" Drop followed up.

• 2 weeks later...

"We'll take our best 300, that will leave 200 here. We won't need any more than that if we do this right," Soul said. "It's going to be rough, but we can stop this invasion before it begins."

"Well, we know that the reason we're having a problem with the Empire is because one noble is gaining so much political power that he almost rivals Cadence, and that he's making life difficult for us. We also know that the Western Lord declared war on us because of an...'incident' with the Black Legion. I think I know a way to make peace with both of them with one act. It's a little off the wall, but it could work." Twilight took a breath before continuing. "Marriage." 

"Marriage?" Celestia asked outloud, "Who and why?" She asked curiously, a little confused and concerned about such a proposal.

Drop kicked back in his chair, "Alright, and who's to take command while we're gone?" He asked curiously, true there was a lot of respect for those in Command, but that didnt mean there werent power hungry individuals who would take advantage of the situation. 

Archived