Watchers on the Wall (Private)

MetalBronyATL

Several thousand years ago, far north of the Crystal Empire, there existed a savage land where the snow never stopped falling. In this frozen wasteland, there existed the worst horrors the world could have ever imagined. Monsters from the deepest layers of hell roamed free in the frozen waste, hordes of savage barbarian clans invaded the southern kingdoms, and even a race of ice demons that could raise the dead and bring the cold, unforgiving winter wherever they go. Many in the south referred to these demons as "wendigos," but all who endured the long winter in the north knows them by there true name, the "White Walkers." 

The white walkers came down from the frozen north thousands of years ago and enslaved all the world before an unknown legendary hero with a flaming sword drove them back into the north as the sun finally rose again on Equestria. To prevent them from ever invading again, the ancient Equestrian's created The Wall. The Wall was a massive structure that was 300 miles long and 700 ft high that stretched from the mountains to the sea. Some legends say that it was blessed with magic to prevent the white walkers or the undead from every crossing and others say that the wall itself was built by giants. To guard the wall, an order of warriors known as The Night's Watch was formed to man the wall. 

The Night's Watch was once an honorable order made up of the best warriors in the world. They took an oath to never abandon the wall and to never claim titles, own land, marry or have children. They guarded the wall for centuries, and since then the white walkers have never returned. However, over the years the wildlings who lived beyond the Wall have begun to launch raids and climb over the wall into the south frequently, causing tension between the Watch and the wildlings that has continued until this very day. 

Today, the Wall still stands, but the Watch is but a shadow of its former self. What was once a honorable band of warriors is now nothing but a dumping ground for criminals, rejects of society and lowborn people. Once they take the oath, they can never leave the Wall unless given a royal pardon or be executed for desertion. Once someone has taken the oath, they are assigned one of three positions: the Rangers, the Builders, or the Stewards. Although all members of the Watch are expected to learn to fight, the Rangers are the primary military force of the Watch. the Builders are in charge of repairing the Wall and it's castles, and the Stewards cook, clean. treat wounds and do the rest of the caretaking around the castle. 

While the Wall and the Watch are currently at a low point, an ancient threat looms in the wilderness beyond the wall...

((So for this our characters can either be in the Night's Watch or a wildling. For now they're bitter enemies but things may change down the line. The Night's Watch in the show doesn't allow women but for this I'll allow it. Also although they're forbidden from marrying or having kids, it's kind of common in secret. Now we can begin.))

A young man with black hair and green eyes sat in the back of a cart, his hands bound with rope. The cold was bearing down on him as the massive Wall came into view. The sight of the massive structure was breathtaking, although he knew that once he got there things would be far more grim. He cursed himself for getting captured as he tried to escape back to the Lunar Republic, knowing that the Watch was no longer an honorable place to serve. He looked to the other prisoners in the cart with him. "Well...what did you guys do to get sent to the Wall?" 

game-of-thrones-wall.jpg

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The handsome older man next to him with grey hair looked up, his noble blue eyes glowed in the freezing snowfall, "Wanted to be left alone I did, Guards wouldn't listen." 

"You killed them with a wooden fork." One of the other men said. The blue eyed older man shrugged, "I warned them nothin good would come of touching me." He retorted back before turning to the black haired young man beside him, "Nameless Trax, who might you be?"

The black haired young man looked at Trax in surprise. "You're Nameless Trax? I've heard stories about you, and now I'm talking to you." He said in awe, having heard people talk about Trax's exploits in the past. "You can just call me Kane." 

((Well $&@!, alright, I'm at least gonna make Trax older then cause that means Souls already at the Wall.))

"A pleasure to meet you Lad, though where we're going, will not be the same." Trax told him shaking off the snowflakes from his hair, "Whats you're story, Young Kane?"

((Yeah, my bad. I was kind of assuming you would go that route with Trax, but I guess I should have mentioned it first.)) 

Kane sighed as he rubbed his hands together to try and create warmth. "I'm originally from the Lunar Republic...I grew up in Canterlot. Then the war started, and I knew I couldn't betray my home. I began acting as an undercover agent for the Republic but I was captured. They should have executed me for treason but..." Kane paused for a moment. "...but because of who my parents are, they sent me here...to the Wall." 

Kane didn't answer for a moment. "Well...believe it or not, my mother is actually Princess Twilight." He said. Some of the other men in the cart turned and looked at him in surprise. "As for my father, uh....well..." 

At that moment they arrived at Castle Dawn, one of the many fortifications that line the wall. It contained a passageway to the other side of the wall, as well as a massive lift that took people to the top of the wall. They entered the castle as members of the Night's Watch began to lead the prisoners off of the carts and lining them up in front of the Castle's main hall. "Lord Commander, the new recruits are here!" Somebody called. Soon an older man with black hair with a hint of navy and green eyes walked out. His resemblance to Kane was uncanny. "My name is Soulscream, I am the 997th Lord Commander of the Night's Watch. Welcome to the Wall." 

"Tell me about it." Kane whispered back. Soul shot Kane and Trax a glance, recognizing who they were before continuing. "Whether you were a Lord or a peasant, a man or woman of honor or a criminal, none of it matters. You're life has ended, and you will begin again here. Should you complete your training, you will become brothers and sisters of the Night's Watch. You're new life will be to defend Equestria from what lies beyond." He said as the new recruits began to look uneasy. "Training begins tomorrow at dawn. Get settled in, this is your home now. Again, welcome to the wall." When he finished the new recruits dispersed as Soul came down the stairs of the main hall and approached Kane and Trax. There was a long silence before Kane finally tried to speak. "Father...forgive me. I disgraced our family, I failed you..." Kane said looking away from him in shame. Soul quickly embraced his son before looking at him in the eyes. "I don't care, son. You're alive." He said before turning to Trax. "Somebody told me you died long ago, old friend. But here you are." 

"About a year ago. They elected me after I defeated the mutineers who murdered the last Lord Commander." Soul said as the snow began to fall harder. "Look, you're my friend, and you're my son," he said looking at Kane. "But I can't be easy on you. Every man and woman here earns what they get, when they earn it." He turned to head back inside the keep. "Speak to the quartermaster, he'll get you outfitted."

Trax folded his arms,"Well then, you heard the Commander, let us go fetch our gear." 

Meanwhile back in Canterlot, Captain of Guards Second in Command, Octavia Melody, opened the doors into Twilights room dismissing guards on duty. "Twily, how could send you're Son to the Wall? With Winter this close already, its a death sentance now."

Kane nodded as they walked to the armory. "Don't think he's being cold, he is just like that...trying to show as little emotion as possible. I guess being Lord Commander does that to you. Was he always like this?" he asked Trax of his father. 

Twilight turned to Tavi, her faced stained from the many tears she shed. "They were going to kill him, Tavi..." she said with a weak voice. "That wanted to execute him and put his head on a spike for all to see. He has a chance to live if he's with his father." 

Trax thought for a moment, "No, course back when we knew eachother, we were part of the Elites. The Republics Silent Fang, we were responsible for more than half of our enemies fallen Generals and Captains. You're Fathers been through alot Kid, best to know him for the Soul who survived it all."

Tavi sighed and sat down next to her, "I told you falling in love with Soul would only bring heartache..."

They soon got to the armory. As soon as they entered, another voice came from behind Trax and Kane. "So, they've sent us more traitors to man the Wall?" Said Slipknot, the master-at-arms of Castle Dawn. "Not just any old traitors, but Prince Kane himself. Should I kneel, your highness?" He taunted with venom in his voice. 

"Do you think you would have done anything differently if you were in my position?" Twilight said as she wiped her eyes. "I know Soul will protect him. I know he'll be safe. No winter can freeze the warmth of my love for my family." 

"Ah, I guess every Watch should have the insufferable sack of dung which they keep locked away in storage." Trax jestered with a chuckle.

Tavi looked away with a shadow looming in her eyes, "I've... Never had kids Twily, I would'nt know what to do in you're situation. I'm sorry, I shouldnt have rushed in here accusing you, forgive me."

((Metals pretty much running this))

((My bad dude, like I said in the PM, life is rough but I'm not disappearing. Now is probably a good time, Kill. You could said you character was in the cart with the other prisoners being sent to the wall.))

Slipknot looked at Trax with a grin. "And the great Nameless Trax joins us too? I will enjoy breaking you both. You won't survive here. Whether it be the cold, the starvation, or the wildlings, you'll be dead in no time." He taunted as he turned to leave them. "Bitter old fool, that one." A voice came from behind them. "He's master-at-arms, he'll be in charge of training. He won't go easy on any of the new recruits, especially you two." A man with dark hair and features that suggested he was from the Crystal Empire. "I am Gleaming Blade, I'm the current First Ranger of the Night's Watch." 

"It's ok Tavi. I just hope he'll be safe." Twilight said. "I didn't want to mention this but...one of the prisoners going to the wall with Kane...was he....?" she tried to ask but couldn't.

((well since it's kind of too late for that, i have an idea, if you dont like it, say so. Just to introduce my character but making since, like have trax and kane take notice.))

A night watchman made his way to a large wooden door with an iron barred window, chains were in an X formation over it. Inside seemed to be only darkness, The room was just silence, though still made its presence known. The watchman was very hesitant on approaching the door, the food tray in his hands was shaking violently, sweat dripped down the watchman's face even in the freezing cold and harsh icy winds. One little step at a time, the watchman approached the door as the tray shook more and more for every inch he made to the large door. The watchman finally reached his destination and hastily slid the tray of food under the door before making a full sprint into the opposite direction. "so what happened this time?" someone asked in a hushed tone "the usual, but to a fellow watchman..." another flinched "couldn't imagine something like happening to me...with a spoon no less." the whispering group winced and nodded their head in agreement "Real nasty, that one."

Blade smirked. "Like I said, I'm First Ranger. Everybody is expected to learn to fight here, but the rangers are the main arm of the Wall's military. I lead them. If the Lord Commander finds you worthy, you may become one of us. There's word of wildling movement beyond the Wall, so we could use all the help we can get." 

((Can you give more details Kill? Are you using Killjoy for this? And is she just being confined because she's too dangerous or something?))

((Knowing Killjoy, I'd say that makes sense lol))

Trax folded his arms, "Well, I know what I'm aiming for."

Tavi looked away coldly, "Do not speak his name... As far as I'm concerned, he died when he let our Sons run away..."

((I am using Killjoy, she's pretty much being confined for the time being because she...well...altered a nights watchman with a spoon. you know the trusty spoon. Back story comes of why she was sent to wall happens when Trax and Kane get curious and come to the door because idk, have Soul like warn them of Killjoy. IDK something.))

• 2 weeks later...

Twilight looked away sadly, wishing she hadn't asked. "I'm sorry Tavi..."

Just outside, a few brothers of the watch were talking amongst themselves about somebody being mutilated with a spoon by "her." Blade smirked to himself. "They must have heard about the latest victim of Killjoy, the one they call The Lady of Death." Kane looked at him curiously. "Who is she?" Blade looked around to make sure nobody heard him. "She's been here  as long as the Lord Commander has, they've apparently known each other a long time. Don't know why she was sent here, but if you can get close to her without losing something you ask her yourself. She often gets confined to quarters because she attacks other watchmen who harass her." Kane was shocked by what he heard about Killjoy. "She must be a handful for my father then." Blade nodded. "Your father gave her a very specific job to do around here..."

"DESERTER!" A watchman called as the gates opened and several Night's Watch members dragged a man into the castle courtyard. He had deserted the Wall, a crime that is punishable by death. 

((How's that? I thought it would be interesting for Soul to put Killjoy in charge of executing deserters, kind of like a scare tactic to keep people in line at the Wall.))

Archived