[Appleloosa] An outlaws homecoming (closed)

Dusty

Celestia’s sun painted the sky a beautiful red and orange as the dawn pulled the cool night away. After weeks traveling across the desert Dusty was more than ready to spend some time in a town… No, not just a town but another home. It’s been many years and Dusty hoped they'd forgotten him and what he did the last time he visited Appleloosa… And the times before that. Honestly he felt nervous about walking into that town but it’s only fitting the first town he visited after all this time be the first town he ever did a robbery in.

Swallowing old pride Dusty pushed on from the night's camp and started walking as he played out all the events that may happen. Worst case? He’s going to jail for past crimes. Best case? No pony in town remembered him and he’d get a Appleloosa welcome with no pony knowing he use to be a Gang boss. With some luck and time on his side it will be the later of the two and he’d get to enjoy the town and not have to worry that some sheriff with a old grudge was going to slam a chair over his head.

----

The walk was short as Appleloosa pulls closer and Dusty stops shorty to look the town over. It looked bigger! Hardly surprising seeing how long he’s been gone and how fast it was growing back then. But even with new buildings he can spot the bar he so loved to visit with his gang. The train station was just like he left along with the train pulling away. How many Trains did he hold up? Too many. Shaking off the last of his fears Dusty pushes onward “Hope ya missed me Appleloosa, ah shur did.” He whispered to himself with a small grin, now or never too see if Appleloosa was friendly as it used to be! Not like they can miss somepony like him walking into town. How often does that even happen?  Most come in from train far as he remembered and even less look’d like him... What vary well may be a bad thing, all it takes is one pony to remember and start shouting for the sheriff to make things go south faster then calling a Minotaur scrawny. 

Well, this town looked entertaining at least. Liviel smiled to herself as she looked at the town and walked into it. The dog was wearing her gi and pants again, carrying her weapon across her shoulders. 

As she walked through town, she spotted a stallion that seemed to stand out a bit, and she decided to approach. 

"Hello there, sir. If you do not mind, what town is this?" She asked, giving a small bow to him and smiling. 

Sherrif_SilverStar.PNGSheriff Silverstar

lgcFVs.jpgLouise LeMare

kVfbss.jpgDoc Holly Day

Moving their way down the main street of Appaloosa are three familiar residents.  There's a brown furred Earth Pony in Western attire and wearing a badge, a Pegasus mare in a cowboy hat who hovered above the two stallions and an older looking red maned unicorn stallion in Western attire.

"Say Doc, ya think it's gonna rain taday?" Sheriff Silverstar asked.

"Hard to tell, Sheriff," Doc Holly Day answered, "we ain't got no weather ponies workin' around here.  Whatever weather we git, we git.  Ain't that right, Miss LeMare?"

"Yes, that's right," Louise LeMare said as the Pegasus mare continued to hover.  "That's a danger all true pioneer ponies faced and continue to face even now.  Weather played a factor in many of the pioneer pony novels I've written over the years.  Guess that's why I moved here to Appaloosa in the first place, I wanted to live the real, genuine life of a pioneer pony, like the ones in my books."

"Lookie yonder, Sheriff, I do believe we've got some visitors," the red maned unicorn stallion said.

"Yur right 'bout that, Doc," added the Sheriff, "don't that one feller look familiar?"

"Well, visitors are visitors and we should go greet them!" the Pegasus mare neighed as she flew straight over to the two new arrivals.  "Howdy folks!  Welcome to Appaloosa!  I'm Louise LeMare and galloping towards us are Sheriff Silverstar and Doc Holly Day!"

"Howdy folks, welcome to our town!"

"Pleased ta meet you both!  We'll gladly give y'all the grand tour!" 

Dusty stops walking too look at a building and workout if it was built after he was last here. But his thinking is cut short as some pon-dog? “What? Oh! Sorry, was lost in my my thinking Ma’am.” He says back to the dog as he looks her over, he’s seen plenty of Diamond Dogs in his life and even worked alongside them, But she looked different too the dogs he knew. “Oh, this is Appleloosa. Take it ya be drifting ‘eh? Well this town is plenty nice, but ah ain't been here for some time. Only just got here myself so can’t be much help sadly.” He was going to ask the mutt where she was from but soon three more ponies were greeting him.

Dusty spins turns around to look at the three ponies greeting him and the dog. “Howdy! Thanks for the welcome…” He trails off at the end as his eyes stop on the Sheriff and a spike of worry creeps over him. “Beautiful morning isn't it? Names… Snow Hooves. It’s a pleasure meeting y’all. Good to see Good ol' Appleloosa is friendly as ever! Got too say, it’s been a few years from the last ah was around here so a tour sounds lovely.” He looks over at the dog he just got too meet. “Want to come along? They’d do a better job telling you about this town than me.”

Appleloosa, huh? Well, it sounded like a good place to visit.

"Of a sort, yes." Liviel said, smiling at him a bit. "It is quite alright, sir." She said, looking over as three other ponies approached them and introduced themselves. 

"I would love a tour, thank you. I am Liviel." The dog said, smiling at the four ponies. 

"That's wonderful!" Louise LeMare neighed as she hovered above them, "there's so many great sights to see in town, I don't know where to begin!"

"Well, our usual town tour guide is out of town today," Doc Holly Day giggled, "but his tours are usually way too fast anyhow!"

"Like the lady said, friends, we'll show y'all around," Sheriff Silverstar neighed as he led the entire group towards the street.  "Here's the main part of town, we here in Appaloosa call it, the core!"

"Over there we have Wild West dances and over there, we have mild West dances," the brown pelted Pegasus mare said before pointing towards a row of buildings, "and there's the Sheriff's Office, I visit him from time to time."

"And next to it's MY office," the red maned unicorn stallion said, "if yur not feelin' so good, come see me!"

"An' over yonder's the Clock Tower!" the Sheriff added, "had ta rebuild it after we had a fight with our buffalo friends, wanna take the tour inside it?"

Dusty chuckles and shakes his head, Appleloosa never was going to change was it? He follows along with his faint limp from an ages old injury. “Well shucks, no braeburn? Can’t easily forget a pony like him. Not a bad looking face too be greeted with either.” He says with a nicker. "Oh Luna, the mild West dances are around? Looks like ah need to pay up some bits to a few ponies, you’d think the much better Wild West dances will beat it out by now.”

He looks over at the Sheriff's Office and keeps his muzzle shut, much as he wanted to make a smart flank comment about getting real nice tours of more than a few ‘offices.’ “Ah, a doctor!” He says smiling as he wiggles his bad leg. “Few years too late on seeing that office Doc.”

Dusty looked up at the clock tower and blinks. “Hold on now, y’all got in a tussle with buffalo? That had to been something, for how big they are they can run fast! Found that out the hard way.” He chuckles and smirks. “That and buffalo really don’t like drunk ponies trying to ride on them. But let's see what’s inside that tower eh? Can’t say ah ever got too see inside one before.”

Liviel listened to the tour in silence, smiling as she took in the town and the buildings introduced to her. Snow Hooves seemed to have good memories of the town, so that was encouraging. 

"There was a battle against buffalo? Do you require training in martial arts?" She asked, looking at her three guides. "I would like to see this clock tower as well."

"I wasn't living here in town during the incident with the Buffalo," Louise LeMare confessed, "but I did write a number of magazine articles about it afterwards.  Folks in Phillydelphia, Trottingham and Canterlot love reading all about our Pioneer style adventures!"

"That weren't no AD-venture, Miss LeMare," Sheriff Silverstar neighed sternly, "it was a real crisis!  When we settler ponies arrived here, we built this here town and planted a huge apple orchard over yonder, on the only flat land nearby.  After a year, when our trees started bearin' fruit, that's when the Buffalo said that it was THEIR land and we hadta move all the trees out!  Them Buffalo even threatened ta stampede the whole town if'n we didn't comply.  We were headin' fer a showdown, that's fer sure."

"Thought we had peace fer a spell," Doc Holly Day added, "that is, till that thar pink, bouncy mare started singin'.. THAT drove the Buffalo Chief ta charge!  It was during this fight that the clock tower got toppled over."

"We made peace with the buffalo, but the clock tower wasn't rebuilt till a strange soundin' green Pegasus flew in, or, more specifically, CRASHED inta town."

"He wasn't ALL that strange!" the brown pelted Pegasus mare said defensively, "his name was Professor Clyde Krashkop and he was smart enough to put the inner workings of the town clock back together for us.  C'mon, we'll gladly give you a tour!"

Louise LeMare flew on ahead and got the side door of the structure open. 

"Hold yur horses, Miss LeMare!  We're a-comin'!" shouted the Sheriff as he and Doc Holly Day trotted across the street, hoping their new friends would follow.

"Lots ta see inside, folks," the red maned unicorn stallion said as he held the door open with his magic.  Inside was a huge room that had the massive clockworks in the center.  Many gears were moving and a loud ticking sound could be heard coming from the top of the clockworks.  A long, winding staircase wound its way to the very top floor.  Long chains of pulleys and springs could be seen shifting slowly, the mechanical workings of the clock were quite complex indeed!

Dusty shaked his head and chuckles as the three ponies talk about what went down, sound like he missed one heck of a party. Probably for the better. “Hold on now, one pony fixed this? alone? “ He asked as he trots after their guides peeks inside the tower. “Well, ah was feeling it was hard to believe from the outside. Inside? That was one heck of a pony too fix this all up, ah’d be hopeless trying to make heads or tails of it! Heck, can’t even work that doing what with it working.”

He walks all the way inside and looks around and watched some of the moving parts. “Got to say, this is the most gear work ah ever got too see, this is cool. Makes me wonder what the inside of bigger things look like, like an airship or something.” He looks over at Liviel . “So, ah was meaning to ask this. Where ya from? Don’t look like no mutt ah ever talked to.”

Peace, that was good. Liviel was happy they had achieved peace with the buffalo, following the group into the clock tower with a smile. She had to wonder what these buffalo looked like, that was something she'd have to visit later, a buffalo group. 

"I am a monk from Long Guo." She replied, bowing a bit to him and smiling. After that, she looked around at the inside of the tower, marveling a bit at the work. 

"Yessiree!" Sheriff Silverstar answered, "that ol' fancy soundin' dude put all this here clockworks back together.  Called it a scientific challenge."

"To be fair, I did give'm a little help," Doc Holly Day confessed, "after all, the Professer's an older stallion so I moved stuff around fer'm with mah magic."

"This clockworks is certainly impressive, isn't it?" the still hovering Louise LeMare asked before the Pegasus mare turned towards Liviel.  "Pardon me, but did you say you were from Long Guo?  I have been to many, many places in my travels as a writer, but I've never been to Long Guo before.  Could you please tell me what it's like there?"

As the Sheriff trotted around the clockworks, pointing out varies gears and pulleys to the two visitors, the Western attired Earth stallion walked up to Dusty, staring at his face for a few seconds.

"You DO look mighty familiar, friend.  Haven't you and I met sometime before?  Don't he look familiar, Doc?"

"Hmmmmmm.  Now that ya mention it, Sheriff, this pony does look like some pony I've seen."

“Long Guo? Ain't ever heard of that one before. But ah’m far on the back water of things sadly, be the first one to say ah’m not the most uh… schooled. Never even went to school even!” Dusty says chuckling, at least he knew how to read nowadays. “But it sounds cool. Ah want too see more of the world someday, traveling is in my blood! Never felt at home in a town.”

He looks over at the Sheriff as the two look at one another. “Uh…” He mumbles before the Sheriff points out he has seen Dusty before and the Doc has to. “Well ah do get around and ah was here in the past, not shocked you know me. Ah’m a big guy! Hard to forget some pony my size.” He waves a hoof, hoping this will end that line of talking.

Liviel looked at the two ponies, blinking slightly at them. Neither of them had been to Long Guo? Well, that really wasn't a surprise, all things considered. What was more of a surprise was that the stallion had never been to any school. What had he done with his life?

"Long Guo is a wonderful place, beautiful and peaceful. I would suggest everyone visit if they have the chance." Liviel said, smiling at the ponies. 

Sheriff Silverstar and Doc Holly Day politely smile at Dusty.

"Er. power surry friend.  Didn't mean ta rattle yur cage," the Earth lawpony said.

"Yeah, I'm surry too," added the unicorn stallion.  "didn't mean ta jump ta conclusions like that."

"DOC!  SHERIFF!" Louise LeMare neighed as she hovered above the others.  "stop pestering our visitors!  We want to show our new friends a pleasant time around town!  How about the three of us take both of you to lunch, our treat!"

"That's a humdinger of an idear, Miss LeMare!"

"Sure is, it's about lunchtime anyhow!"

"What do ya say?  There's many fine restaurants here in Appaloosa to choose from!  And while we dine, would you please tell us more about Long Duo and your travels to other lands?" the brown Pegasus mare asked, looking very excited.

"Sounds good ta me, and Doc, y'all kin share with'm all about yur life in Canterlot," added the Sheriff.

"Have either of you been to Canterlot?" Doc asked.  "I grew up thar before comin' here with the rest of the settler ponies."

"We could go to my favorite restaurant, Madam Bistro's, its only a few paces from here!"

“Oh don’t worry, they aren't pestering me. Somewhat flattering ah’m remembered at all! Not like ah done much of note.” Dusty says with a hearty smile, he was very much relieved that line of talk was done. With luck they will stop thinking about it. “And ya, be cool to hear more about Long Duo, be all knew too me.” He added as he looked at the dog. “May add it too my bucket list of lands too go see someday before ah get too old.”

Dusty's ears flick at the name of the restaurant. “Hold on, uh, got to ask something… Is Caramel Bistro around?” He asked rubbing the back of his head with a hoof. “Ah knew her back some ways, real good mare! Liked her a lot. But she was planning to head out to the city's someday was it? Did she do that?” He felt worried, if she was around… Well, she’d ID him on the spot.

"It is Long Guo, but I appreciate your attempts." Liviel said, smiling a bit at the ponies. "Lunch is a wonderful idea. And I have been to Canterlot, I was present for the most recent Grand Galloping Gala."

Really, she had no idea what this town had to offer in the way of food, so she would leave that up to the ponies. 

Louise LeMare immediately placed both front hooves on the sides of her head in embarrassment.

"Oh my goodness!  I am SO sorry Liviel!  As I writer, I pride myself in getting names correct!  Please forgive me.."

"Settle down, Miss LeMare," Sheriff Silverstar neighed.  "We're all gitt'n powerful hungry an' we're all gonna git us some fine grub over at Madam Bistro's Place!"

"So, ya know Caramel Bistro, Snow Hooves?" Doc Holly Day asked.  "That's no surprise!  She's quite famous 'round these parts!  Although she does specialize in gourmet coffees, her restaurant has some mighty fine food!"

"Yes!  Let's go!  Maybe if I had some lunch to eat, it'd keep me from putting my hoof in my mouth so much."

The hovering Pegasus mare's words caused the Sheriff and Doc to chuckle a bit as the three led the way to Madam Bistro's.  Inside, the dining room looked very elegant. lovely decorated walls, antique furniture, even the tablecloths were fine lace. 

"Oh look!  Our favorite table's open!" Louise neighed as she flew over to it and sat down. 

"Right this way, Liviel and Snow Hooves," the Sheriff said, happy that their table had six chairs so that all of them could sit together.

Spoiler

Caramel 'Madam' Bistro is a OC that belongs to my friend Boss Hoss.  He is no longer on Canterlot, so we can still RP with the restaurant.  The wait staff will simply explain that Madam Bistro is out of town visiting relatives, that's how we'll handle the situation.

Dusty chuckles at Doc Holly. “Well, ah know her more more than just food! Me and her… Well, ah’m just going to say me and her got to know one other pretty well. But let's get some food eh? After traveling all the way here ah’m dying for real food.” He says with a big smile as they head out the door and walk to the restaurant.

He looks around the restaurant as they walk inside and get lead to a table. “Fancy as ever, but not the most fancy building ah ever got in. Got to eat at this restaurant in Canterlot, let me tell you… It was to fancy and the food…” He shakes his head. “Ah wanted food, not modern art. Just glad my “employer” at the time payed for it.” He says with a roll of his eyes as he sits down at the table. “Sorry if I do a lot of rambling. Just happy to talk to some new faces, nice as the badlands is… Well you get lonely up that way.”

"It is quite alright, Miss." Liviel said, giggling slightly at the ponies. She followed the ponies to the restaurant, looking around at the inside of the building before heading to the table that they had picked out. She sat in one of the chairs, smiling as she listened to what they were saying.

"This is indeed a nice building. I look forward to the food." The dog said, smiling as she looked around again. "Indeed, some places value style more than substance, and they take it too far. There should be a balance." She gave a nod as an agreement to Snow Hooves about both loneliness and the fancy restaurants, then looked to her new friends.

"Is there a form of menu that I could look at? I have not been here before."

"Oh look!  Here comes a waitress!" Louise LeMare neighed as a Earth Pony wearing a frilly Western style dress walked over and quietly handed everyone at the table menus.  "It'll be nice to see Madam Bistro again!"

"Won't be today, Miss LeMare," Sheriff Silverstar said as he opened a menu, "she's gone off ta git more supplies fer the hotel, folks.  Jist left yesterday, I helped her on the mornin' stage mahself."

"That's too bad," Doc Holly Day said as he levitated a menu in front of his face, "y'all wouldda loved ta meet her.  Think I'll have special!  Oat loaf with a side of hay fries!  An' a sasparilla ta wash it all down with!"

As the unicorn stallion spoke, the waitress nods and writes down his order.

"I'd like a Sagebrush Salad, with a side of hay and a glass of iced tea."

"I'm powerful hungry, so gimme a fried grass sandwich on Texas Toast, some oat loaf an' hay fries with a tall glass of root beer!"

"Whoa Sheriff!  That's a lotta grub!"

"I'm a lotta hungry!"

"You crack me up, Sheriff!" Louise giggled as the Pegasus mare turned towards Snow Hooves and Liviel.  "And now it's your turn, dear friends!  Order anything you like!  We've got you covered!"

Dusty takes one of the menus and looks it over, frowning at the news Madam Bistro was not around… He’d need to track her down some day. “Bloody shame that, well ah’m going to be gone before she’s back. But you tell her Dusty’s back around.” He says chuckling. “If ah’m lucky she will take that as good news and not bad." He puts the menu down. “Ok, let's get some food. Ah want two hayburgers, fries, an apple pie and a big glass of milk.” He smirks as he orders. “Ya, ah know that’s a lot of food but ah’m a lot of stallion.”

Done ordering his food Dusty leans back and looks around as he thinks about older days. In all truth it was not to long ago he was last her. Just a few years, but that’s just a few years of bailing on a mare without warning… you know, it’s probably a good thing she’s not around!

• 4 weeks later...

Liviel was not sure what to order from this menu... she had of course expected the abundance of vegetables, but she could not exactly eat hay. 

"I would like a salad please, as well as some water." She decided, smiling at the waitress. 

The waitress nodded to acknowledge receiving the table's order.

"Yes, I will deliver your message, Dusty," the waitress said, smiling as she trotted off to the kitchen.  She returned a few moments later with their drinks.

"Thank ya, miss!" Sheriff Silverstar said before taking a big swig of his root beer.  "AH!  Now that thar hits the spot!"

"So, Snow Hooves, how did you get that nickname, Dusty?" Louise LaMare asked.

"Dusty.. hmmmm," Doc Holly Day said, "I recall a feller with that name being here in the territory a while back."

"Hay Doc!  Nevermind all that, we gotta think of whare ta take our guests next, after we're done chow'n down." the Earth stallion lawpony said as the waitress delivered food orders to each one at the table.  Louise LaMare, in an uncharacteristic surge of hunger, instantly attacked her Sagebrush salad.

"You're right, Sheriff," Louise added as the Pegasus mare took another bite of her salad.  "We could go visit the Salt Block, it's a great place to meet others and have a glass of mineral water."

"It's a lot more interestin' than the clock tower," Doc Holly Day said, levitating his glass up to take another drink.  "We could take a tour of the apple orchard, I think thar beginin' the harvest about now."

"Maybe we could save that part of the tour till later," the Sheriff said.  "could visit the General Store next.  Plenty of shoppin', could git yourselves some souvenirs."

"Or a fancy new dress!" Louise neighed as she moved closer to Liviel, "what lady doesn't like shopping, am I right?"

"I say, let's let our guests decide whar our next destination is," the unicorn stallion said, "so, Miss Liviel, Snow Hooves, where would y'all like ta go next, after we finished eatin'?"

Dusty licks his lips as he eyes up the food. “Oh that old name for me? Well…” The big pony held up for for a moment as Doc thinks about the name than keeps talking after it was passed over. “You see… My fur IS white.” He grins some and starts eating. “That tells ya all you need to know about that nickname. But ah don’t use it no more, only dropping it for it’s the name she’d know me for. But I’m just Snow now… A vary tan snow, but snow all the same.” He chugs down some of the milk.

“Don’t know if this dog is one for dresses.” He says looking over at Liviel. “They don’t do good for a lot of walking and traveling. Trust me on that, you try haling flank over this sun baked land done up like a saloon mare.” He chuckles and grins. “One of the more odd days in my life that one was. But the salt lick sounds good, not been in that hole for some years!”

Archived