The Wise Dragons of Longri-La (Closed)

Bellosh

A shadow falls over the congregated guests, followed by a table.

Or rather, the table falls into a space between everyone present, borne on the back of the Matron, who continues her dive through the cloud layer. The table is followed by a tablecloth, several saucers, a small bowl filled with honey, an empty teapot, several teacups, and a bowl of orange slices. The Matron surfaces again some distance away while several bedraggled long desperately try to catch up with a few cushioned stools and a kettle of water.

"There," she says, settling in near the round table, "now we can enjoy a nice tea ceremony without needing to bother our guests with the garden." Around this time, the cups stopped wobbling and spinning and settled into place while the younger Long offered their apologies and set about warming the water for the tea.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"That's the general jist of it, yes! Those who seek us out only to raise their own station or for selfish reasons balk at the challenge of scaling the mountain, more often than not." the King replied with a nod. Now that wasn't to say there wasn't some really determined troublemakers or self-centered fools out there that managed to make the climb, but usually there weren't such issues.

In short order, the Matron at last returned, along with a few flustered followers she had roped into helping. Àilóng had yet to meet anyone here that could keep up with Auntie when she really went at it. She was like a force of nature! Well while the others sat about warming up the water, Àilóng sat about choosing the tea. He wasn't entirely certain what the others preferred, but he knew what Yuè's favourite was by heart. "Baihao Yinzhen. Or White Hair Silver Needle. Steeping it takes a little longer than other white teas, five or six minutes. It's a sweet and delicate tea that I know at least one amongst you will enjoy." the dragon smiled over at the Empress and dipped his head.

FutyNZo.jpg?1

The Matron must have known she was starting to be missed, because here she was with all the ingredients — big and small — needed for a tea ceremony. "You never cease to amaze, Aunt Yuchou," Empress Yuè complimented as she took her seat at Serpent King Àilóng's right-hand side. Feng then would have to sit to Yuè's right side as part of his guard duty.

The royal qilin's eyes lit up when her draconic counterpart pointed out the White Hair Silver Needle tea. Yuè's favorite! Recognizing the need to maintain composure in front of others though, the mare cleared her throat. "Umm, oh yes," Yuè stifled an overly energetic smile and turned it into a more subdued one, turning her aqua-blue eyes away from Àilóng towards the rest of the table; "Princess Celestia herself swears by that very tea. It just goes to show that we can all appreciate the same things despite living half a world away from one another."

• 2 weeks later...

"Wonderful! Perhaps I shall retrieve some from my home later, it seems the tea has arrived." Huo smiled back at Presteza, extending a claw to help her into one of the seats and settling in himself nearby her. "Now, what kind of tea do you prefer? Chamomile is always a good choice for a relaxing cup, in my experience." He asked her, preparing his own tea while waiting for her response. Once she had decided on the type of tea she would like, he would set about preparing her cup for her.

"Always a pleasure to see you, Matron Yuchou, I trust the table did not prove to be much trouble for you and your helpers there." He chuckled, smiling over at her. "Thank you for retrieving these."

Feng hesitated to join at the tea table immediately, until the matron gestured for him to do so.  Even then, he waited until Yue had finished her request before chiming in with his own.  "Do you, ah, have anything with blackcurrant in it?  That is my favorite; it was served to a foreign guest once at the Palace."  In other words, he concurred with Yue's statement about oceans not separating the tastes of ponies and long sun.  

Besides that, however, he remained quiet, only replying to Ailong's explication of how few social climbers were literally determined enough to scale a literal mountain.  "Well, if they want it that badly, they probably deserve something more than they have.  And better that they turn to mountain-climbing than crime or corruption.  Makes my job a heck of a lot easier."

Gy9Z4Bb.jpg

Prestez reflexively looked up when the shadow fell upon the assembled parties, her last more traumatic time with a dragon began with a shadow looming ominously above her, and... well she didn't wish to recall such hard memories when she had only just met some of nicest dragons ever! No need to think about silly old craven and his equally silly name. This painter was among friends! Strong and nimble ones too seeing how fast the matron managed to retrieve the table and land it so perfectly between everyone. "Welcome back, Miss Matron!" Chirped the foreign equine as she prepared to take her seat.

The kind dragon, Huo managed to pull out her seat already though. How thoughtful! Once she was situated she gave some thought to the posed question, "Hmm, can you mix some mint with chamomile? Thank you again, Sir Huo."

The elderly dragon nods and settles into place at the table, giving the apprentices ample space with which to work. "I favour the blackcurrant myself, though there are merits to a nice cup of chamomile after a long day. Today I shall enjoy the peach blossom though, since these two were kind enough to bring some and I would hate for their efforts to go to waste." she says, gesturing with a claw at the assembled chinaware for the aforementioned apprentices to begin preparing the requested refreshments.

"Now, on to why I invited you, xīn'ài de zhínǚ. As you are no doubt aware, We have done something unprecedented in Our history this past year. We have made not one, but FIVE Gifts of Breath to heads of state. One to your...counterpart in Neighpon, and one to each of the four active Princesses of Equestria in the West. And yet there is one Gift conspicuous by its absence." the aged Long starts, using her claws to form five perfect spheres out of the cloudy not-ground arrayed in a hexagon missing the corner nearest the Empress. She pauses a moment, waiting until Yu Yue's face showed a dawning understanding of the implication. 

"We have power enough for another Pearl," she continues, pulling the five orbs into a single ball, "but it is not yet made. This was not intended to sleight you dear, but to fit you properly it could not be made ahead of time."

Yuchou sighs as she takes the ball and works it into an equid shape, followed by a slightly smaller one. "Ordinarily We spend the Emperor's twilight years cognizant of who his or her successor will be, and are able to deliberate amongst Ourselves as to how best to empower and guide the next generation.

"However though We applaud your father's choices," the Matron smiles proudly at Yue here, banishing the clouds back to the not-ground, "he sprang it rather suddenly on not only your Empire but us as well, and at a time when Our own council was recovering from the departure of Ao Shenlong.

She leans in over the table, lowering her voice to an almost conspiratorial sotto voce that the other guests would need to be deaf not to hear, "We had been prepared that if that one of your eldest siblings ascended we would have provided a Gift to temper some of their wilder habits or to ignite their nobler aspirations, but you caught us rather embarrassingly and somewhat pleasantly off-guard. So rather than embarrass your Court by delaying the ceremony through Our sometimes endless debating, I wanted to ask for your input. Where do you think you will need help the most?"

By this point, the tea was ready, and the Matron settled back with her cup nestled delicately between her claws. Granted it would likely scald any pony that held the steaming cup, but Long claws were somewhat inured to heat thanks to the plating.

• 2 weeks later...

Though Àilóng smiled at Yuè's reaction to his choice of tea, he couldn't help but to feel a twinge of sadness. She still felt the need, nay, the pressure to hide her emotions. To continue cultivating that presence of nigh ephemeral untouchability. To be the ever composed, never shaken, perfect of perfects. In many ways the life of the Empress was much more difficult than that of the Serpent King. True he was considered a sovereign and many of the Long Sun looked up to him and his council as though they were a heavenly host, but in Longri-la, he was far more free. He could be himself and yet still rule with composure and grace...Most of the time. But Yuè was always under the scrutinizing eye of not only the citizens of Long Guo, but of her own Court as well! Who through everything their land and the world around them has seen, still desperately cling to the oldest and more constraining traditions. Was there nothing he could do? He wondered.

Perhaps, but that was a thought for another time. Àilóng was pleased that the Empress chose to sit near him. Though how much of it was out of tradition and how much of it was 'Hey, I'm going to sit near my friend!'? Either way! The delightful aroma of the Baihao Yinzhen wafted from its pot as whistled softly. Before an apprentice had the chance, Àilóng politely poured Yuè her tea while she and Auntie talked. Best not to interrupt something so important. After all it'd be something he would have to hear as well! He sat about pouring himself a cup before settling back in and listening to the conversation intently.

FutyNZo.jpg?1

.....Oh my; now that WAS quite the development.

Yù Yuè probably should had known this day would come. It was always customary for an emperor or empress to be granted a Gift of Breath soon after being crowned. But with the Grand Galloping Gala scheduled so soon after Yuè's coronation, this matter had fallen by the wayside. No wonder Auntie Yuchou saw the need to whisk the royal qilin off her ship!

So, not even the Elder Serpents were made aware of the late Emperor's chosen successor before his departure. One might have briefly glimpsed Empress Yuè with a subtle downcast expression on her face, but her mood turned a little more upbeat when the Matron made it quite clear how proud she was that Yuè was Empress.

But now an important question laid before Yuè; which of the Gifts would she most benefit from? The young mare surrendered herself to introspection as she sipped her tea. "Hmmmm..." Yuè spoke in a soft tone that wasn't exactly easy for those further away to hear; "I confess that although I am rightfully Empress by decree, and despite the vigorous efforts of my tutors over the last couple months... I do not yet feel it in my blood. It is as if I am but a girl who wears the royal regalia, but not THE mare to whom it belongs to." Yuè mentally flashbacked to the night of the Gala when her crown was charred by a phoenix battle, and then to the events on the boat the day prior when her Chamberlain had so desperately crafted excuses to keep the Empress from flying away with the Matron.

"I cannot convince others that I am fit to rule the Dragon Kingdom... if I can't project the aura of a true empress....."

• 2 months later...

"But of course, Miss Presteza." Huo smiled back, preparing the two cups of tea and adding some mint to one of them. He chuckled lightly as he heard the Matron get right into business, though he saw no reason to interject at the moment and therefore refrained from that. The dragon smiled over at the painter as he presented her with the cup of tea he had added the mint to, nodding to her. "Do be careful, it is still rather hot." He whispered to her as to not interrupt the important conversation going on across the table.

• 3 weeks later...

Accepting the Blackcurrant tea with a simple, "Thank you, Matron."  Feng sat back to sip the fruity beverage, savoring the dark, plum-like notes.  He wasn't sure what it was about this particular flavor that appealed to him so much; perhaps it was the simple fact that so few among his country-kirin even knew of it.

He had time enough to reflect, given how little he had to do with what was going on.  In fact, it was such an intimate meeting between Yue and her foster-family, with the Empress revealing a key fear and vulnerability, that Feng was surprised that he was even allowed to stay.  Did they not think his own heartstrings would not twang at the sound of her grief?  Well, perhaps they didn't.  After all, Watcher's weren't supposed to feel that sort of thing, apparently.

• 1 month later...

Gy9Z4Bb.jpg

A little lost in all the conversation before, Presteza took a hold of a dangling thread left by Yu in the talks: That of her insecurities about her position. While she knew her words carried little weight when compared to those o the wisest of dragons, she figured she may as well toss in her two bits. "Maybe before you get this gift of breath you could try and start a correspondence with some of the other rulers of our world? I doubt they have the same traditions and ways as Long Guo does, but perhaps gainin' further perspective could spark some change in ya and get ya ta develop this aura yer wantin'! ... Broadenin' my horizons was why I first starting travelin' after all." With a slghtly nervous smile at her sudden intrusion in the flow of dialogue, She would eagerly take a sip of the tea offered to her by Huo.

Once the tea met her tongue, her pupils seemed to shrink. Her senses momentarily overwhelmed by the rich flavor and quality of the tea: Surely anyone in Long Guo would attest that Trottingham ponies had a deep appreciation for the stuff. The silver maned unicorn eagerly sipped and set the cup down, looking up at Huo with an elated grin, "By the princess sun stamped rump! This is bloody amazing!" Almost immediately after she spoke up she would flush red and sit back down in her chair a bit more calmly, "Sorry, Forgot my company for a moment." 

She levitated the teacup again, "Could I have some more, Mister Huo?"

"I cannot convince others that I am fit to rule the Dragon Kingdom... if I can't project the aura of a true empress....."

Where did foals get these ideas? Aura of a ruler indeed. Yuchou shot a glance at Aìlong with the corner of one eye, watching his reaction. 

"Majesty," she began, "comes more easily to some than others. This much is true, and has been since the First Egg hatched and birthed the world. Respect is a thing more rightly earned than given. The shadows of your father's rule lie deep and long, and it is difficult to shine from within them."

The aged Long took a contemplative sip of her tea, allowing the steam to roll out of her nostrils. She hoped Húo wouldn't steal her drama, it took time to build such a delicate moment.

• 4 months later...

Àilóng's reaction was one of sympathy and understanding. It was a feeling he understood well, living a similar one himself. No one would say it, but he was sure that many of the Long thought him too young or unfit to fill his father's throne. And generally, he agreed with them. It wasn't that he thought less of himself, Àilóng felt himself to be a pretty upstanding dragon! It was just...was he really Serpent King material? Perhaps whatever Auntie had to say to Yuè he really would need to hear for himself.

• 3 weeks later...

FutyNZo.jpg?1

Empress Yuè had much to ponder over. With the conversation around the table becoming more subdued, there wasn't much more for the qilin mare to do other than sip tea and think about the advice she was just given. It almost seemed like there was a riddle buried within Matron Yuchou's wisdom; one whose answer Yuè was meant to unravel. A minute of silence followed...

"The shadows of your father's rule lie deep and long, and it is difficult to shine from within them."

"I suppose the secret then," the Empress nodded with understanding towards her serpentine mentor; "Is getting out from under those shadows....."

To anyone who knew Feng before he joined the Imperial Watch, the very notion of him sitting still during a tea party would have been ludicrous.  The scaly-winged scallywag of the mountain hamlet?  Surely, he would go mad in an atmosphere of decorum and long pauses!

But, discipline was a wonderful thing.  Never let it be said that his trainers had wasted their effort!  At least in the presence of the Empress, Feng felt himself to be fully capable of all necessary decorum.  To such a high standard, in fact, that he hardly needed to strain himself in any extra way, even in the presence of the long!  That said, it was a strain, and not one he could keep up indefinitely.  Add to that the burden of seeing the Empress in a state of distress that he could not guard her against... it was too much, something had to give.

"Matron!"  He blurted out, biting down on his words just one-half second too late.  Knowing now there was no way out but through, he continued, "May I... ask a question?  In, uh, private?"

Huo smiled and chuckled at Presteza's exclamation, watching her for a few moments before she apologized. "No need to worry, we're all friends here after all." He chuckled again, refilling her cup for her and making it the same as last time. Once that was completed, he took a sip of his own tea, raising his cup to her before turning his attention back towards the important conversation going on between Yue and the others.

Archived