Official Discussion Thread - S06E16 The Times They Are a Changeling

changeling_peasantry_by_magicman001-d6in

Do Changelings have families?

Another week and another episode with the ponies we all adore and love, or is it?  This week's episode looks to again feature Spike the dragon as the main character as he meet and befriends a member of the Changeling race.  What will we learn about the bugponies that Canterlot is enamored with?  How much headcanon will be confirmed, how much will be destroyed? What new headcanon will be born? Tune in the find out! The episode airs Saturday 11:30 AM EST on August 13th!! :) <3

This thread is dedicated to discussing the episode before, during, and afterwards. As the thread is now open it may indeed contain spoilers. I ask that potential spoilers talked about or shown before the episode airs stay within the spoiler tags please, after the episode you no longer have to use the spoiler tags, but warning, if you haven't seen the episode yet after it airs, this thread no doubt will have all sorts of spoilers in reviews, images, etc. So tread at your own risk. :blush:

My thoughts below:

Spoiler

I have to confess, after last week's episode (which I didn't particularly care for), my expectations for this one were very low.  But, to my surprise, this episode was VERY well written.  Sure, it lacked action and comedy, but it made up for it with the strong plotline and an excellent song by Spike (who knew he could sing?).   Not the best episode of the season, but I think it was better than average.  Not every episode has to 'blow up half of Equestria' or be 'non-stop puns and gags' to be enjoyable.  Loved it!   Good strong moral here!

A wartime moral? Yeah! We're at war with a powerful army, there's going to be a couple of defectors! It's a wartime moral! There's only one thing...

Spoiler

How does a sudden song suddenly convince the others to trust the Changeling? It... I find that hard to believe. Still, maybe it'll mean he can be a double agent or something.

Thoughts below in spoilers. This may be my last episode ever. Hopefully not though.

Spoiler

Wow. To be honest... I'm not sure there's much I can say about one. That may seem like a bad thing, but, in all honesty, this episode may have been so good that there's just nothing to say.

Let me start by saying that I, myself, have participated in a few MLP: FiM RP's that involved Changeling's that had sort of 'defected' from the Changeling Hive and we're actually 'good' (if you want to call it that)

However... color me surprised to see something like this in 'canon' show format.

The Spike antics were pretty good in this one. He certainly likes abusing his Crystal Empire 'hero' status. Which caused hilarity. I liked that quite a bit.

Everyone freaking out and then they finally find out about the rumored 'Changeling Spy' or whatever.

It was funny to see the guards actually listening to Spike. He's not even royalty. Even the guards look up to him? Not sure that's well placed... more hilarity though. :blush:

So... Spike finds the Changeling and freaks out. Understandable. IT FREAKING SAVED HIM. :o

The backstory... interesting I guess. I suppose it at least seems like it's trying. Though the hissing... I guess he can't control it, but, still... :|

The birth of Changelings was... creepy... :|

Spike tries to tell everyone and they all... act like he's a comedian but Shining Armor says it's not a joke.

Things don't go well. So they try the Crystal Pony disguise. Um... wasn't that what they were afraid of in the first place? :blush:

Spike's lie to Twilight... well done sir.

Eventually though... he's discovered. They all chase him out and Spike can't do anything but tries to make it up to him. SAVED BY A CHANGELING AGAIN. WHAT. IS. HAPPENING. :mad:

Let me talk about the song. Remember how I don't tend to like songs? But when they're good that's saying something? Yeah. It happened again. The part "darkness can turn to light" made me think of Kingdom Hearts. Reference? Who knows... possibly? One can wish I guess. :/

The song was quite good. A decent Spike song and a decent song in general if you ask me.

Yes. You all have lots to learn when it comes to friendship.

But... I...

I... just...

*tempted to hit L.A. Noire 'Doubt' button*

*searches for 'Doubt' button*

*can't find it*

:shifty:

I just... I really hope this isn't some devious plot. Seriously. I really hope it's not. But... I have this feeling... that it could be... :unsure:

Other than my worries that this is just a meticulously thought out villainous plot...

AMAZING.

:D

P.S.: *continues searching for L.A. Noire 'Doubt' button*  :unsure:

P.P.S.: If this is my last MLP: FiM episode ever... it couldn't have ended at a better place. Hopefully not though!! #NeverGiveUp

I enjoyed it.

Spoiler

I was HOPING we'd get more Changeling Lore, but it was nice to see how they're born. I'm curious if Queen Chrysalis is ALL of the Changeling's mother? IT sure looked like that. And I see the ponies have slowly been gaining allies during the last few seasons..They now have Yaks, Dragons and now good Changeling(s) on their side. Wonder if the last two episodes of this season will have a big bad so bad that everyone is gonna need to fight 'em? Would be cool to see ol' Grogar.

MnSO10x.png?1

• Dio unpinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...

I really enjoyed it, though I didn't much like Spike's song. The voice isn't strong enough. I think they wrote to it rather into it, so it comes across more as a last minute change of heart thing rather than a well-planned song. Either way, strong episode.

Archived