Official Discussion Thread - S06E17 Dungeons & Discords

dungeons_and_ponies_plus_one_dragon_by_j

Don't touch my dice!

Another week and another episode with the ponies we all adore and love!  Roll initiative and make a perception check on the episode this week.  Your Detect Chaos spell blinds you as Discord joins the group to put paid to imaginary villains!  Will Dash have to make an alignment shift from Neutral Awesome to Neutral Egghead?  Will Pinkie play the bard?  Make your Use Magic Device check to find out! The episode airs Saturday 11:30 AM EST on August 27th!! :) <3

This thread is dedicated to discussing the episode before, during, and afterwards. As the thread is now open it may indeed contain spoilers. I ask that potential spoilers talked about or shown before the episode airs stay within the spoiler tags please, after the episode you no longer have to use the spoiler tags, but warning, if you haven't seen the episode yet after it airs, this thread no doubt will have all sorts of spoilers in reviews, images, etc. So tread at your own risk. :blush:

Spoiler

Usual Discord zaniness helps this episode!  I thought this ep was VERY strong in the beginning, but then had a weaker conclusion.  Overall, great episode.  You can't miss with either Pinkie Pie or Discord in an episode.  I sure hope the rumors about John Delancie quitting at the end of this season are false.  Can't picture anyone else VA for Discord

Thoughts in spoilers as always. It's a Discord episode... so... you know...

Spoiler

Hmm... not sure there's much I can say about this one.

Discord likes to prove how much of a jerk he is by making it clear he only likes Fluttershy. 'Opposite' Fluttershy was pretty scary though... :|

He doesn't even want to try, then, Spike and Big Mac make it seem like they're doing something 'guy related' to get him to come.

That Discord entrance... dude... you're not Lebron James. Nowhere near Lebron James. Go Cavs?  :unsure:

Discord got the wrong idea entirely. A tabletop roleplaying game huh? I've heard of them but never tried them myself. Too complicated for me. :/

It did sound interesting (at least the one they were playing in this episode) but I don't think I'd ever try them myself. Discord gets bored quickly and not surprisingly. He gets angry and pretty much causes the problem.

Admittedly... the 'gamers want to be in their games' is not exactly true if you ask me. It's true in a small sense, but, your supposed to only immerse yourself in the game. Not actually want to be in the game. Because then you'd literally die if you were in the game. Especially someone like me who isn't physically fit enough to survive very long.  :unsure:

He made it ultra bad for Spike and Big Mac and made me legitimately feel sorry for them. Jerk Discord yet again. :roll:

No wonder he doesn't have any friends. Especially when he does stuff like this. I'll admit they got me a little with Spike and Big Mac feeling sorry for him though and they gave him a second chance (how many chances does this make anyway? I've lost count at this point :roll: )

Maybe if he wouldn't do crap like this he wouldn't be alone all the time and give stuff a chance and not be jerk about it? Just a thought.  :unsure:

But the ending was actually kind of nice and it wasn't surprising that Rainbow and Pinkie wanted in on it. RAINBOW NINJA. :P

What was Pinkie supposed to be? A jester? Bard? Gypsy? Unsure there. The ending and the 'real' game gave me Final Fantasy vibes though. Don't know if that's a reference either but I did sort of like that.

I know I'm making it seem like I didn't like this one but that's not really it. I guess I'm just not a Discord fan and likely never will be. Maybe if he would stop causing the problems most of the time in his episodes and just stop being a jerk in general I could like him more. Maybe.

But that's just me I guess. I will say though that the humor in this one was pretty good. That's one of the few things it had going for it.

So I'd say overall this was an 'okay' episode. Not great, not horrible. :/

Sorry guys. I guess I just can't like Discord.  :unsure:

As a big D&D RPG nerd I enjoyed this episode. I liked the callback from the comics by using Ogres & Oubliettes..They did leave out the usual snacks you would have on the table for these things, which was something the comic got right. And we also got to see a pony version of Josephine Baker..Thankfully she was just visiting the club, and not performing as they'd probably have to kick out Spike. Still prefer Discord as a bad guy though....

• Dio unpinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...

I liked the references and O&O is always good. Having said that, I don't much like Discord episodes- the fact he can (and does) do anything makes what he actually does sometimes boring, and often times distracting. But I liked the insight into BM and Spike a lot.

Archived