Official Discussion Thread - S06E18 Buckball Season

the_muscle__the_hustle__by_ncmares-d8l6q

ARE YOU READY FOR SOME HOOFBALL?!

Well in this case, Buckball.  

Another week and another episode with the ponies we all adore and love!  Just in time for football season we learn of another pony sport, Buckball!  What is Buckball?  How does it work?  Is it uniquely for ponies?  Will your favorite pony make the team?  Tune in to find out!!   The episode airs Saturday 11:30 AM EST on September 3rd!! :) <3

Oh and can we have cheerleader Cheerilee again, please?

This thread is dedicated to discussing the episode before, during, and afterwards. As the thread is now open it may indeed contain spoilers. I ask that potential spoilers talked about or shown before the episode airs stay within the spoiler tags please, after the episode you no longer have to use the spoiler tags, but warning, if you haven't seen the episode yet after it airs, this thread no doubt will have all sorts of spoilers in reviews, images, etc. So tread at your own risk. :blush:

Thoughts below in spoilers as always.

Spoiler

I actually really liked this one.

I can definitely see the Harry Potter Quidditch influences that I read about on Equestria Daily. It seems like quite the interesting game. I also like that they have sports in Equestria. :)

When Pinkie and Fluttershy ended up really good at the game and it shocked Applejack and Rainbow Dash that was actually pretty funny. It somewhat shocked me as well.  :blush:

All those failing unicorns... but Snips wasn't and was really good at it?! Okay... :shifty:

Not surprisingly Dash and Applejack pushed Pinkie and Fluttershy too much during their training and they couldn't take the pressure that they were putting on them as well as the pressure from the town as Dash and Applejack hyped up the game.

Stressed Pinkie and Fluttershy was actually somewhat disheartening. ANGRY FLUTTERSHY IS BACK. OH GOD. :|

I actually liked the moral in this one too. Some do well under pressure others don't. Plus... from the way I see it... games are supposed to be fun. As long as you have fun playing them, that's really all that should matter if you ask me. That could just be me though.  :unsure:

Luckily Pinkie and Fluttershy have fun again, and Snails too I guess? This of course leads to Ponyville actually winning. Yay. :)

That Appleoosa pegasus in the game is related to Buck Biceps guaranteed.  :blush:

This was just a really good episode with a good moral. Really liked this one. I'm liking this trend of good episodes.

:D

Here we go:

Spoiler

Overall, this was a very fun episode with a very, very sketchy moral:  "Don't take games/competition too seriously."  Though the 'message' of the episode was weak, the action was STRONG!  Honestly, when I first read the synopsis of this one, I figured Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy would outplay AJ and RD, but AJ and RD would either push them off the team, or try to discourage them from playing buckball at all.  It's great to see that AJ and RD are mature enough to admit who was better, and to be encouraging and supportive (though we went WAY 'over the top' to do it).  And who can't cheer for Snips?  Loved the unicorn 'tryout' sequence and then he walks along and nails it without even trying out!  Let's face it, Pinkie Pie makes ANY episode better!  And it's nice to see that indeed, Pegasi and Unicorns DO live in Appaloosa (beside the two OC's I created, that is).  This was a GOOD episode, but not an especially GREAT one.  I rank it 6 out of 10. 

I really enjoyed this one....I’d say this is probably one of my favorite episodes of the season.

Spoiler

Love Pinkie’s poof-ball mane....

And nice to see Snails isn’t joined at the hip with Snips. Interesting little bits of info on a unicorn’s telekinesis spell.

I do like Braeburn’s team. We have Bulk Bicep's mother (or aunt..) and a cute unicorn mare with bushy hair.

And speaking of bushy hair..Is this the first time we see AJ without her ponytail?

Buckball looks like fun...We'll probably see it pop on in an RP or two.

And this bit at the end...Dwaah

rj5BQGX.gif

• Dio unpinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...

My feelings for this episode have evolved. I was disliking it somewhat during the episode only because Season Six has turned into Watch Applejack Have No Top Tier Qualities. Looking back and re-watching it, it is a very strong episode.

Archived