A Hatred of Ugliness [Age of Heroes AU, Open]

Blueblood

It didn't look good.

No matter how Prince Blueblood looked at it, Baron Hardhoof's schematics smelled funny.  Mixed metaphors aside, he knew perfectly well that the water and sewer infrastructure on that side of Canterlot was just not built to support residential housing of that density.  And yet, had the council raised a single objection, or even so much as entertain the question?  No, they even ignored the repeated letters that the Prince had sent to the Editor of the Canterlot Chronicle!  Though, to be fair, the newspaper had only printed one.

*If it looks like a slum, and smells like a slum...*  Blueblood was vain, perhaps, and one could with justice cast aspersions on his intelligence.  But buried under an over-inflated ego was a real sense of local patriotism, and a connection to a long political legacy.  Not that the government of these days payed attention to Princes of the Platinum, hmph.  And ponies wondered why some of their number turned to more direct means....

He could feel the weight of the Garnet in this pocket; the relic and key of his own superpower.  But no, not yet.  For what he planned to do, prep work would be needed.  Investigation, either to unearth definitive proof of Hardhoof's nefariousness, or some clue to his vulnerabilities.  Then he would be struck with the true Beauty of Canterlot!

This was a beautiful city.  There would be no ugliness growing like parasitic fungus upon it, not while Prince Blueblood, or Royal Platinum, had anything to say about it!

Right now, the Prince awaited his summoned investigators.  How many would come?  Depends on how many would take his summons seriously...

Machina… while usually quite a polite stallion… spared none of such when he opened the Prince’s door and stepped right in. He promptly closed it afterwards and looked at him with a raised brow. “You know, when you went about hiring hired investigators… I was imagining that you’d do so under a different guise, and in a location where you’re not going to be tracked.”

The part machine, part stallion gestured around the room and sighed, “not…. this.” He finished before moving off to take a seat.

“So… you are really going through with this… huh?” The stallion asked. While he wasn’t necessarily concerned about the project being a slum. He was more concerned about this project leading to some hidden motives. Canterlot was not a place where you could easily build low end districts. And certainly with the quality of life, the high density housing with low rent would likely fail in a single fiscal year.

The whole scheme just smelled fishy off the bat.

Liviel was the next one to enter the room, dressed in her street clothes, the simple gi and pants. The dog smiled at the two ponies that were already there, walking over to them and giving a friendly wave.

"Greetings, I believe there was need for investigators? I am not an investigator, but I am willing to offer any help I can. Perhaps I can help you two?" She asked, giving a small bow. "My name is Liviel Mizu. May I have your names?"

She wasn't entirely sure what was happening here, but she could help or stop it, depending on what the methods and goals were. If she were to help, perhaps she could help to keep this thing peaceful as it progressed to the goal.

Canterlot wasn't Dt. Stalwart's usual beat.  The whites and golds of the city rubbed him the wrong way, and whenever he thought about that for too long he longed for Manehattan, which at least had the decency to provide shadows for the darkest and most anti-social things to hide.  Or for that matter, to be hidden from, when the need arose.  It wasn't a perfect place, but it was home.

Stalwart shook his head.  He was here now and he wasn't going to let thoughts like that bother him.  He had bigger fish to fry.  There was a call for assist in an investigation.  Ordinarily this would fall outside the detective's jurisdiction, but this was a special case.  For one thing, the request was made by a member of Canterlot nobility, and a prince no less.  That alone was enough to show that something strange was going on here, and lately Stalwart was becoming more and more the go-to pony for things out of the average beat cop's depth.

Arriving at the place, Stalwart quickly stepped through the door, and almost immediately noticed the other people in the room.  The prince was there of course, and aside from him there was an unfamiliar diamond dog.  The was even one pony he recognized, that power armoured pony he saw on his most recent family trip.  Stalwart raised an eyebrow at that, but for the moment he kept any thoughts to himself.  There were more pressing issues, and he believed that anything important about that would make itself known soon enough.  It was an odd bunch, which only made Stalwart further suspect that something wasn't right in this whole affair, though he didn't comment on that just yet either.  “Are we expecting anyone else?” he asked to no one in particular.

By this point, Blueblood knew Machina well enough to not expect polite deference.  The Prince therefore met the blunt frontal assault upon his planning acumen with similarly raised brow, and ready reply.  "Really now?  You didn't think I would take a page from your own book when it was appropriate?  Prince Blueblood is the most prominent name associated with opposition to this scheme, and I've never been secret about it.  I've practically stood alone, as far as politically prominent opposition went.  It's a little late to attempt secrecy when scrutiny will doubtless fall upon me already."

He trotted back behind his desk, the need for nervous pacing having subsided with the arrival of his first invitee.  "After all,  I'm only asking law enforcement to do its job.  If it requires the help of supers, well!  That's only to be expected in this day and age."  That was something of an understatement of his task, he knew.  Yet, it was largely true that legality, and eventually audacity, were still more reliable refuges at this point than secrecy.  Not that the operations themselves wouldn't need a little covert work, but Blueblood didn't anticipate a long window of opportunity, so best to arrange matters so that if things turned messy, he could still pull out a win.

The other two were not short on arriving either.  One was, oddly enough, connected with Auntie's school.  Well, that was fine and dandy; maybe Auntie Celestia would pay more attention to family after this.  The other was an actual investigator, one rather off his beat, admittedly, but he had a badge, and that was what counted.

"Ah, good day.  As it happens, I am expecting another, well, two technically.  One wasn't able to make it this afternoon, and the other messaged me that they'll be a little late.  Do have a seat."  He gestured to the seating cushions placed around the room, more comfortable that the wooden furniture often favored by the fancy.  "I suppose I'll start off by asking if you have any prior connections to a certain Baron Hardhoof?  The title is largely honorary, and somewhat meaningless; his real claim to fame is his real-estate business, and the fairly ruthless practices it has hitherto involved."  The plans and specs of his latest operation were rolled up in the unicorn's magic, and he tapped the desk with the papers idly.

zwazTZ3l.jpg\

"Sweet Sentinel, I'd kill fer some wings!" Gasped out the running hero down the street in her usual outfit. Perhaps another costume change was in order... back in Trottingham it made sense to wearing heavier clothing seeing as most days it rained so much that the streets seemed to be more puddle than pavement. Another great thing about Trottignham was the architecture. There were plenty of stone ornaments and spires around the city that made it easier to move around if Avant Garde used her powers right, but here? All the building were smooth and shiny looking and the almost constant sunshine made it a lot warmer than she was used to operating in. 

Thanks to all of these changes in enviroment it should be surprising to see the hat wearing mare pushing through the door in a huff, "I need a new way to get around." Said the exhausted unicorn, "I got yer invite... c-can ya explain wot we're doin' 'ere again?" She propped herself up on the door frame, "But first... does anyone 'ave any *gasp* water..." The mare pulled herself forward and eventually fell against the part machine stallion before smiling in an almost drunken manner, "Oh. Heya, Machina."

Archived