Should I get the Danganronpa series? (help I guess)

LostSanity

To be completely honest... I'm not sure if this belongs here or somewhere else. So I posted it here. If this is the incorrect area, a mod is free to move it to it's proper location.

So... I just read that Danganronpa is being re-released for the PS4. http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps4/199369-danganronpa-1-2-reload

I've heard A LOT about this series. Too much honestly. I was planning on watching the anime too. I don't know much about it. Well... I know a little about it from stuff I've read about it.

The question now is... since the first 2 games are being re-released for the PS4... should I get it?

I would like this forum's opinion on if I should get it or not. I know someone on here is a Danganronpa fan and I wanted to talk with them about it, however, they may be biased and just try to pester me to get it. I want various opinions that aren't biased.

I guess it's similar to Ace Attorney? Is it? It seems to be but I'm not sure honestly. I mean if it is then that's a plus to get me to get it.

I just want some opinions here. I've heard too much about it and I'm curious to see what the big deal is.

So... should I get it?

Feel free to persuade me to get it if you're a fan of the series. ;)

I would appreciate any help with this.

Thanks.

It is similar to Ace Attorney as you are solving murders. I'm a big fan of both Ace Attorney and Danganronpa, but as much as I love my waifu Franziska, I prefer the Danganronpa games over the AA games. Since you have played AA before, I'll try comparing it with Danganronpa so you can get a rough idea about what the game is like.

Both games are basically about solving murders, but the tone of Ace Attorney is much lighter than Danganronpa. In AA, you get some funny and cute moments from Phoenix and Maya, but in Danganronpa they are hard to come by as this game is wrapped around the concept of "Despair for all". You also get to walk around in Danganronpa as opposed to just switching from area to area (With the exception of the Investigation games). During the trial, there is actually quite a bit to do in Danganronpa almost to the point where it gets quite complicated especially if you are playing on 'mean' mode. There is a lot more to do during trials and it's more "game like" compared to AA as you can aim and 'shoot' a contradicting statement with your evidence, you also have a rhythm game kind of thing before the suspect gets found guilty, and lot of other stuff. The punishment cut-scenes are my favourite <3 The one thing I wish was in Danganronpa that was in AA was the investigation part of it. It's more interactive and fun for me to identify fingerprints and making casts of footprints. Plus yelling "OBJECTION" and "TAKE THAT" at my computer is awesome.

I didn't explain it very well, but if you ask more specific questions I'll be able to cover them better than I did on this post.

I think the biggest strength of Danganronpa is that all the murders are essentially part of the same story. Sure, AA does have some of that, but there's always a few cases which are clearly side stories, side stories with their own cool characters and plots and maybe some implications for the characters you grew to love, but they are inconsequential for the main story (plus, after the first trilogy, they kind of started to play it a little fast and loose with overarching plots in general in AA). The cast of characters is set, you get time to get to know them for better or worse and the murders happen one by one, followed by an investigation, followed by a class trial, and what's really cool about the class trials in my eyes is that they capture pretty well the frantic discussion such a group would have, where nobody knows who they can trust, everyone talks over each other, and you have to cut through the lies and inconsistencies to find the truth. Sure, finding the murderer is a necessity to keep on going, but actually, you want to find out who's behind it all and why you are trapped in a killing game. If AA is more like a crime procedural, then Danganronpa is more like psychological horror. But with really, really good consistent writing, and a group of survivors you don't want to strangle on sight. For the most part.

I'd generally advise you to play the first game rather then watch the anime adaptation of the first game, because it's not good (in my opinion). If the secrets and twists and turns and the characters intrigue you, you'll be just fine. 

Hmm... okay...

There's one potential problem though...

Isn't there another game? Ultra Despair Girls or something? But I think it's a survival horror game?

Is it possible to not play that one and still be okay?

Just now, LostSanity said:

Hmm... okay...

There's one potential problem though...

Isn't there another game? Ultra Despair Girls or something? But I think it's a survival horror game?

Is it possible to not play that one and still be okay?

If you don't want to play it then sure. It's just another story that takes place after Trigger Happy Havoc. It's basically like deciding not to play "Miles Edgeworth: Investigations".

22 minutes ago, SymphonicFire said:

If you don't want to play it then sure. It's just another story that takes place after Trigger Happy Havoc. It's basically like deciding not to play "Miles Edgeworth: Investigations".

Okay. I don't really like horror games anyway...

I mean... if they re-release it on the PS4... maybe I'll play it. But right now it's just the main games that are being re-released for the PS4...

I don't know much about Danganronpa, but I do have some general advice when making a purchasing decision, especially for a game. I'd check out YouTube or Twitch for some gameplay videos of it in action, just to get a feel for the game and to see if it's what you're looking for.

Good luck!

Out of curiosity... is the music in the game any good?

Most of my favorite music tends to be video game music.

Out of curiosity... is the music in the game any good?

Most of my favorite music tends to be video game music.

Yes! I love the soundtrack! This is one of my favourites!

Cool. I'll just have to play the game myself and see which ones I like and if there are enough, I'll have to 'obtain' the soundtrack somehow. lol.

Cool. I'll just have to play the game myself and see which ones I like and if there are enough, I'll have to 'obtain' the soundtrack somehow. lol.

It's all on youtube! All 100 and something from all the games XD

Archived