Protection Artistry by Way of a Troubled Apple (Closed: Taco)

SteelEagle

It1VYdx.png

“I guess one could be brought in as a chick.”, the officer could not believe such large creatures could be found here, or even how they managed to survive. They would probably have to fight the other large creatures for food.  Dragons. Hydras. Tatzlwurms and even Ursas both major and minor. “I could see somepony of an less than civil nature snatching up a couple of Roc chicks and trying to train them as guards, and then finding out the hard way that some creatures aren’t meant for domesticating.”  She was well aware that there were more than a few blighters and ne'er do-well cads who hid among the Everfree. Hedge mages, thieves and crooks who managed to avoid the authorities by staying away from civilization. Would they encounter any of these fiends during their adventure together? Only time would tell.

She paused as the experienced mare spoke in detail about the terrors they would soon face. Why in the world did she believe those who said the Everfree had been tamed after the whole massive vine invasion? She even saw that the old castle had been in the process of being restored. By who? Who knows? She heard everypony from Prince Blueblood to some crazy hippogryph had been messing around in the ruins. "Gotta say Lady Applejack, I should be paying you for this education." Being the good and friendly sort, Fire Walker was not in fact being paid to watch the farmer's back, but instead took the 'job' since she had been asked by a very important pony.  "Before I came here with you, I thought I knew a little about the Everfree, but gauds, I knew nothing. Next time I have to travel here, I'll be far better off than I was before our trip." Her breakfast was now over as not a single crumb or food molecule could be found on her plate.

"Since I have no need for those special seeds, I'll let you do all the talking. But one thing I wonder.", the officer was curious about one thing, "Before taking what you need, do you leave any sort of offering for this spirit? Since this 'Ma Seed' probably cultivated these seeds, I could see  you hoofing over something that you in turn have made. Be it a few of your better apples, or even seeds that you or your family may have created." That would make sense. And she was silent? Fire Walker was good at reading ponies. She might not speak with her mouth, but how about her eyes, if she had any? What was it like to be all alone to watch a bunch of seeds? Maybe she was a ghost. One who spent her living years coming up new and useful plants. Crossing this with that. And when it was her time to go, she instead continued to do her job well after her last breath. Spooky. The forever gardener. This sounds like something she needs to tell her mother. Would make for an gripping tale. Maybe she stays there until her true love returns from sea? Maybe he was gobbled up by an beastie? Her mother spent a good deal of her life working on R.E.A technical manuals, but slowly made her way into fiction, thanks to some encouragement from A.K. Yearling via Wind Walker.

Once breakfast was finished, and the officer cleaned her plate and took away her traveling kettle, she set upon helping the farmer take down camp. The bedrolls were easy to roll up, but the tent was always a pain to get just right. She also managed to free up one of her saddle-bag pockets, so Dander could have a nice little place to stay during their trip. Thankfully, this was all a bit easier to do with a second set of hooves to help. And before they knew it, the camp was back to being an dank ol' cave and they were back outside. While they walked, the little bat rode on her back. "I cleaned his wing. Found little splinters and some green sap. Thankfully nothing is broken. Just bruised.", the fuzzy little creature let out an happy little squeak as he rather loved the attention.

"So, when we get near our first little bit of danger, please warn me ahead of time." It actually felt rather nice outside. The weather was fine, there were no crazy pollen, magic or not to mess with them. Just a lovely morning. This probably was not going to last..

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

5HbB79Q.png

Applejack's knowledge of the Everfree was hard-won and well-trodden ground to the Apple family. They had volumes of information about to what expect and landmarks they would be able to reference. Some of it had been released to the public in the interest of health and safety but they had much more hidden away for their own personal use. The fear was that if everypony knew what they knew then the Everfree would not be considered as dangerous as it was. Flocks of ponies who thought they knew well enough would find themselves imperiled; ignorance and arrogance go hoof-in-hoof, even in those considered educated. The education that Fire spoke of wasn't one that was Applejack's to take credit for. "Hehe, feel free ta pay me, but Ah'd have ta give it to mah ancestors. Ah didn't learn this all on my own- plenty of help along tha way from family, both with us and before us," she said proudly, leading the way as they went deeper into the forest.

Onto the topic of Ma Seed, Applejack shook her head. "Nah, not now at least. Not when we're in need of 'em. It's considered proper ta bring somethin' if yer takin' tha seeds when y'all don't need 'em, or if yer takin' more than yer alloted share. But if you don't, then Ma Seed is a pleasantly supportive sort. Still, Ah came prepared just in case- ya never knew when she might deem what yer takin' more than yer allowed ta take," she said, patting her saddlebag. She had some basic offerings for a basic request, nothing too unusual or fancy. She didn't plan on taking more than her share, didn't need to. But if she ended up taking more than Ma Seed thought the Apples should take then she would leave behind some seeds from the farm, an equal exchange sure to please the mystery force in control of the valuable seeds she sought today. It was always cool and humbling to have access to such elements of nature in the Everfree, and helped keep the mare grounded in what she was and could do.

The trek on towards the river wasn't complicated by timberwolves or any other beast, at least not that Applejack could see. The Everfree was home to a thousand dangers seen and unseen, but for all of that she was happy that there weren't serious troubles plaguing them on the way to the river. She was more than capable of dealing with it all but the extra weight and hormonal imbalances that came with pregnancy informed her more cautious desires to better spread and censure the audaciousness of action and youth she was inclined to support naturally. The Everfree was never quiet and there was always the potential for danger which kept Applejack on her peddy, but for everything that could come to pass nothing did and it wasn't long before the destination was in sight. "Well, tha first part was pretty easy," Applejack said optimistically, as if trying to convince herself as well as Fire that the crossing would simply follow suit.

A small shack lay ahead of them, dilapidated and holding steady because of dreams and little more. The cries of Rocs from above would be alarming, but she knew enough to know they weren't interested in getting below the treeline or going after anything that wasn't in their flight path. She stepped into the shack. The inside was better kept than the outside. Various adventures and woodland ponies made sure that despite its appearance enough work was done on the foundation to make it strong to resist the weather. In the middle of the shack was a landing and a dock with a single small boat tethered securely to it. The boat was old and well-used but patched up by the various ponies who had used it. A small desk with information was on one side of the shack, and Applejack placed a small drink in another. "Donations ta whoever else comes this way. Should hold for a year or such," she said confidently, looking at the boat. "Ready?"

It1VYdx.png

"I'll just add my donation to your foal registry.", the mare had a feeling the farmer would need just about anything for her addition to the family. And while even the littlest of little ponies did not appear to need much, it couldn't be further from the truth. They needed just about everything, from  clothes to diapers and cribs and strollers and toys and bottles and bibs and holy smokes! Then there was also the things Applejack needed as an mother. Maybe she could get Swift Squall to throw in a gift. Something practical! And maybe even little Wind could donate something of hers. Maybe something from her collection of plush toys. She already outgrew most of them and Granny Mimsy had sewn the girl an army of those fuzzy creations.

From what she had read, Princess Celestia had practically 'gifted' the Apple family the lands that later became Ponyville. And while the name always bugged the mare (Why not Appletown? Or Ciderville?) they still managed to create the perfect little village. So it would make sense that her family knew the old forest better than just about anypony alive. Still, from what little she knew about the Everfree, the officer wondered if one day the sneaky forest would pull the wool over the farmers. It wanted to lure them into a false sense of comport and then, boom! These flowers you stepped in give ants in the eyes! Or fudgetabout, maybe variations of the 'Poison Joke' could appear out of nowhere? How about a joke that curses or even kills. Spooky. Maybe the true curse here was to have her head filled with such nonsense! She needed to shoo all these thoughts out of her noggin and focus at the task ahead! Getting Applejack to her seeds and back home without anypony getting killed.

This 'Ma Seed' was one 'Ma to be Seen!' While Fire Walker wanted to take her camera along, she had been warned that certain magics, such as the one that powered her little picture taking device, could cause mischief with the strange forest. This was probably why you never seen any 'Everfree Photo Books'.   This was a shame, since there was so much natural beauty one would want to take pictures of. Ones that would make her old school friend and professional ACTION photographer Shutterbuck, green with envy. All these ancient trees and the surrounding flora and fauna. This was an nature lover's paradise.

"Erm.", the mare grunted as the farmer said something she REALLY shouldn't.

uT5pNjP.png?2

"Well, tha first part was pretty easy,"

Had the famer ever watched any horror movies? That was almost as bad as saying "I'll be right back", "Hello?" or "Who's there?". Maybe this was even worse. That was almost a challenge given to the Everfree. This was too easy! Make it hard! Still, the officer kept her mouth shut, knowing it was even worse to point out a mistake. Maybe the old woods were distracted. Do ancient magical forests nap? So she instead only smiled back at her traveling companion. This smile quickly vanished when she caught sight of the creepy old shack they were walking towards. Looked like something straight out of a spooky story. One that actually looked rather decent inside. She tossed a extra shiny bit in what appeared to be a donation box. "Almost ready. Do they have any life jackets? ", she could almost imagine Neptune Rex as he shook his head in disgust. 'Ye know that ye should ne'er get on a galleon without proper safety equipment ye land lubber!' he would say while staring at her with his one good eye.

5HbB79Q.png

Applejack didn't have a foal registry to speak of. Didn't have much need of one! The Apples kept much of the foal-age materials they used to help rear them. Cribs and blankets, bottles and clothes, the Apples could provide for ten foals at once if they wanted to. Of course some of it probably needed to be tossed, but for everything tossed there would be a replacement from some branch of the family. Toys were as common for an Apple foal as apples were to a tree. Still, the thought was appreciated. She was already having to get her friends to turn down their levels of gift giving. It would be impossible to have any foal who could deal with the overwhelming amount of toys and kid-friendly games and books. She was sure they could build a silo for all of it! She was mighty thankful of course, but it was always a little much when it came to an Apple.

Fire shot her a look of some kind after she spoke, as if distressed. It passed quickly. Why? Hmmm. What had she said? Applejack gave it some brief thought- what, that it had been easy so far today? It had been. Nothing had happened, a nice leisurely stroll was their's for the taking so far. Unless she was worried about tempting fate, which was sorta understandable. It didn't like being played with or mocked. She hadn't done either however! She had just stated the obvious. It had been rather easy so far. Fate would certainly play with them later but that was because this upcoming stretch was always a bit playful in how it toyed with tourists to its private realm. "Don't get too excited, of course. Ah'm sure tha river will be mighty...uhhh, weird enough to make up for how easy the day has been so far," she whispered, allowing for Fate to play its tricky cards.

Onto more current affairs, Fire asked about life jackets ad Applejack took a peek around. There was no real guarantee as to their availability or quality, really. Ponies brought such equipment here often enough but mostly for their own benefit. That meant a relatively small number of such items were left behind and of those left they were used often enough. She looked and looked, eventually reaching a bin in the corner of the room. She dived in and found two life-jackets. They were blue and orange, slightly deflated but otherwise fine. Names that had once been on them, long since vanished. She raised them up and sighed. "Well, coulda been better. A few small tears. Ah can swim, you can swim, it'll help. Put it on," she said nonchalantly, finding it more difficult than expected to fit it around her burgeoning body due to the pregnancy. With a grunt, she did it.

Next was the boat. What they had today was nothing special, a simple paddleboat with two benches to sit on and not a motorized part to it. The wood was old and worn but had been repaired often enough that when Applejack put a hoof on it, her confidence grew. "This'll do," she said, crossing over onto it. The boat creaked as any boat would as the mares entered, Applejack picking up one of the paddles as she sat down. "Well, it ain't no luxury cruise but Ah think it'll see us through. Heh, now you can be a captain, Fire. Think of it as a promotion!" She chuckled as she put the paddle in the water and started rowing.

It1VYdx.png

After making sure it was not too grungy to put on, Fire Walker slid the life-jacket on, “Wouldn’t be the first time I had to deal with water in strange places.”. She still remembered the day she followed Lady Lanceguard and Steel Dagger into an creepy underground temple. They did not go on purpose, but instead, they stumbled into it by accident. The very ground split open and threw them into an inky black underground lake. There they would later encounter an ancient temple that would remind the three how dark things were before Celestia and Luna. And while she always wanted to know what the higher ups in the R.E.A had done with the old ruins, she had a feeling they simply boarded it back up.  “At least it looks pleasant from where I’m standing. Of course it’s probably filled with killer gold fish, emotion mucking river eels or even water Kelpie. Although I head Kelpies aren't so bad."

The mare nodded her head as the farmer mentioned 'swimming, "That's the first thing they test you when you apply for military school.", the mare took a good look at the little wooden paddleboat. It was a well traveled little boat, but it looked like it could handle another trip or two.  "You need to swim, you need to fight, and you need to know how to follow orders.", maybe swimming was probably not too high on the list, but considering all the lakes, rivers, streams and ponds that crisscrossed Equestria, there was a very good chance you would eventually fly or canter near water. There was also a few training actives that consisted of a Pegasus diving into the water to retrieve an item in a select time.

"Captain?", the mare chuckled as she made her way onto the boat, "Guess I would look good with an extra bar on my collar." After finding a seat, the young officer found an oar and started to row, "Speaking of rankings, I always wondered about this." The river started off just right. The hard rain probably gave them a few extra inch or two, so there was a good chance they would not sail into something, but would it make the river faster? "Has Princess Celestia ever knighted you and your friends? I know Princess Twilight received a major upgrade when she was fitted for an tiara, but how about the rest of you? I always assumed if you save the world at least once you get instant knighthood. And while you probably won't get land an your own personal squad of serfs, there is still respect for those who acquire dame-ship."

5HbB79Q.png

Applejack considered how to answer the question. She hadn't been knighted per se and aside from the medal ceremony she hadn't been given any sort of official commendation for any of the times she had helped save the land. A mare who wasn't as grounded and down to earth as Applejack may have felt slighted by such light treasures for her efforts, but, well, she was Applejack. Going back to her day to day was reward enough for her and besides, she knew what was what. Twilight was the one saving Equestria. All Applejack did was be there to help. That was more than enough for her. She preferred trophies, ribbons, and medals for her athletic achievements anyway. She knew she was responsible for all of those victories and didn't feel somewhat cheap about it.

But she hadn't just been awarded in that manner, hadn't she? Unknown to anypony else except her and Celestia, Applejack had been selected as an Agent of the Sun. An ancient Equestrian position, the Agent of the Sun was an operative who answered only to Celestia and received enchanted armor and equipment. It was a physically taxing position as well as one needing diplomatic and ponysonable skills. The worst part to her was that, as a necessary security precaution, nopony could know. She was sworn to secrecy in that regard by Celestia herself and Applejack would have a dark day before she went back on that, even though she had great issue not letting others know. It felt like a lie. A white lie perhaps, and one regarding information ponies didn't really need to know. But withholding information was never so simple.

Which was to say her answer was not as black and white as it seemed, but it worked well enough for her. "Well, Ah wasn't knighted. Ah was honored in mah own way, I suppose. Not tah say that Ah'm not greatful 'cus Ah am, but Ah think Ah coulda done with a relaxing vacation in tha islands ta tha south," she said with not a small amount of sass. She didn't mind much her lot in life, loved it even, but if she considered her reward for good deeds to be a more dangerous and personal set of tasks then a vacation would have been more suitable. "Watch yer side- gonna hit a bad patch, then we'll be in the path of all the zany stuff in the river," Applejack said as she pulled her paddle out. The raft hit some rough spots, turbulent waters raging fairly mildly as the term took it, heading down the river to an untold and unknown future. 

It1VYdx.png

Fire Walker silently wondered if there were a small enchantment placed on their jackets. Not only did hers manage to fit over her armor, the jacket also managed to cover the foal-bearing pony as well. Or maybe this was just really stretchy materiel? Whatever it was, she hoped it would at least keep her from sinking to the bottom if they were to tumble overboard. Thankfully this would not happen! While she was not a Navy mare, she took all the required and even some of the bonus classes on water safety! From swimming with heavy gear, to swimming with heavy gear along with a unconscious partner. She even managed to get over her filly-fear of swimming over the pool drain. Back was she was learning how to swim, her friend Docket told her that a friend of a friend of her aunt's neighbor, knew a pony who got sucked into a pool drain and was now living with a race of underground mole-ponies! This was a fear that she managed to conquer....last month.

"Wow.", looks like the world famous heroes who saved the world at least once were not proper knights. "I'll have to toss my suggestion then into the little 'Royal Suggestion Box' the next time I'm in Canterlot. I....", she stopped gabbing as the pair hit a slight rough patch of water. This was hardly water riving rafting, maybe she still needed to be on her guard. "Oh right, the islands.", she sighed, "Swift and I haven't agreed on an honeymoon spot. I'm thinking Gallopocus Islands, he has something more adventure-y. He probably wants to see more historical sights, but what is more historical than the second largest margarita bar in Southern Equestria? And I heard the Sea Ponies near Corralwood put on an heck of a show."

KetD52c.png

"Watch yer side- gonna hit a bad patch, then we'll be in the path of all the zany stuff in the river,"

This wasn't too bad of a trip so far. The mare thought to herself, not realizing she was dooming the both of them just by thinking such thoughts. The weather was pretty decent, and their boat was sturdy, there was little chance that...Thankfully a small part of her inside shouted over the last few words before they floated in her mind. That was close. But what did the farmer mean?

"Wacky? You're talking about the crazy river critters, right?"

5HbB79Q.png

Of course he wanted something more adventure oriented. That stallion didn't know how to relax or have a good time, with every breath of his seeking out trouble. And despite what he said, Applejack had a suspicion that he was simply an adrenaline junkie who kept the addictive qualities of his task on the down low, not that he actually felt the need to save everypony from threats real and imagined. Mostly imagined. She would definitely be more on Fire's side in this situation. A vacation should be just that, a vacation. She loved to work and toil just as much as any Apple ever but when the tools went down and the hooves kicked up there was no need to damage that time just to fetishize danger for somepony else's benefit. But then again she preferred her stallions to be workhorses, not fancy noble-likes who couldn't seem to get out of their own way in regards to having a good time. “I'd stand yer ground and head for tha islands. If yer gonna relax, might as well make sure that its relaxin' and not somepony's adrenaline junkie hotspot,” she chided Squall gently, herself relaxing as the current took them.

The river was fine enough. The rocky part came up, Applejack holding on as the rough path sent the boat tipping about and shifting unknowingly. The boat proved itself worthy of the voyage and held together. After a final small drop and splash the boat was once again in calm waters, and Applejack put her oar back in and started rowing. "Oh, them emotion leechin' an' changin' critters are around here somewhere. It'll get weird soon," Applejack said with an awkward laugh, shifting in her place as she rowed some more. Awkward didn't mean awful or scary but she knew better than to expect simplicity and calmness at this stage of her life in the Everfree. A Roc flew right above the tree tops with a mighty, near metallic screech as it hunted what few birds made the mistake of living here. Applejack was happy she wasn't a Pegasus. Mostly because she wasn't the biggest fan of heights or going fast and those two things seemed part and partial of being an Equestrian Pegasi.

She would never have wanted to be anything else but she kinda wished for some sort of unicorn magic as it continued. She could feel the tell-tale signs of the effects those creatures could have on a pony. She started to feel very warm and tingly, like a filly being taken out to a dance, her hooves swinging about of their own accord. She giggled. "Yeah, this place sure is magical! Ah remember tha first time Ah came here, Ah nearly fell down into tha water. Mah pa caught me all right quickly, and ma didn't want me out here no more," she blurted out, her voice taking on an odd timber as the water turned into a pretty shade of the rainbow underneath them. The little critters were at play now and Applejack's face, a revolving door of joy and sadness, played truth to their power.

• 2 weeks later...

It1VYdx.png

She had a feeling no matter where they go, something silly will happen. Stay at the heavily themed resorts in ‘Whinny World’? Maybe they find out that the ghosts in the ‘Haunted Stable’ are real. Take a sea cruise and get attacked by pirates. This had happened before, but at least that was in the air. An week at her beloved Gallopocus Islands? Active volcanoes and angry tiki gods! Fire Walker would just have to fess up and realize it was next to impossible to control her density. She could only hope she manages to live long enough to see herself as a very old mare and maybe had a bit of fun along the way.  "I'm sure we will reach an happy compromise.", the mare whispered to the farmer. "It's better to bend a little than to break a loving relationship."

Their rough ride thankfully ended nearly as quickly as it had started. Beyond slightly jangled nerves, the pair managed to do just right. A quick glance at the interior of the boat and everything seemed to be in working order. The officer felt safer knowing she had such a strong rowing partner at her side not to mention a pretty sturdy little boat. She could only imagine those who borrow her, made sure to fix any damages from their journey, so the return back to dock would be just as smooth sailing. She just wondered who else would dare such a journey? Others who also sought out Applejack's 'Ma Seed'? Thrill seekers like Docket's silly brother Pocket? Or maybe ponies just wanting to get away from it all? "There's always a chance that the leeches might taking a nap? Or taking an vacation of their own? Do leeches take a break and rest by the beaches?" The mare let out an 'eeep' as she caught both sound and sight of what was most likely an Roc.  "Sweet Celestia.", she whispered. Thank goodness she had used the 'lady's room' before taking the 'Riverquest Swampariventure' as that thing was utterly terrifying!

Apparently the leaches did not go on vacation, or maybe the farmer was just getting a little emotional as she remembered here dear departed father. And of course the pony was pregnant and she had heard talk in the past about progesterone changes and mood swings. She had heard that when her sister-in-law Jammy was with her first foal. She was almost surprised the baby did not come out wearing tap-horse-shoes considering all the dancing she was doing while in the womb. With every story about the wonders of birth that made the mare want a kid of her own, there were also a few horror stories that made her want to reconsider it all. There was also a rainbow in the water? Was that a reflection? She glanced up at the sky, but could not find its twin. Oh-oh.

One of the many skilled taught to an officer was to control of emotions and even to behave like a statue. This was what she needed to do while she stood at the side of an royal figure, dignitary or any other V.ery I.mportant  P.ony. And while she did poorly with the other silly Everfree encounter, she was prepared for this! She could be strong..oh dear, she was going to talk.

"I remember seeing a photo of your folks during that mess with the magic back in Ponyville.", there was a layer of annoyance in her voice that quickly overloaded her polite tone. "I know Princess Twilight made a mistake, but it really sort of ticked me off that nothing was done. She gets to go off and play around with her magic all 'willy nilly' and the rest of us can only pray that she or any other unicorn doesn't have another 'whoops' moment. And if they do, I will give 'em such a punch in the snout. Playing with our lives like it was just a game." Wait? She was annoyed while AJ was sad? Did each leech have a different emotion to use? Hopefully this won't last too long. "Just like these emotion creature things. Don't have anything better to do than to mess with passerby's.", she growled.

5HbB79Q.png

“Heh, I doubt they're taking a vacation. Sometimes they wait and try to see what emotions are easiest or juiciest to play with. They are...careful critters,” she said, her eyes deeply soaking in the waters as the two started to talk.

She wasn't entirely wrong. Unicorns who had power were always capable of some of the most amazing and terrible feats of magic possible. Indeed, more than a few earth ponies and pegasi were starting to wonder just how dangerous their horned friends were. The strongest earth pony in history couldn't destroy the land while a group of pegasi could always cancel out a single weather genius who went bonkers. But unicorns and Alicorns had more than once held the balance of the world in their otherworldly heads. It was just as often only because of those same types that they had been defeated or converted to proper Equestrian causes. Either way, Applejack understood the frustration. Intrinsically they were dangerous. But then again a lot of things they took for granted were dangerous. Didn't mean a lick of a thing. And for all of that, Applejack found worrying about Twilight to be the funniest thing of all considering all she had done to save Equestria!

Applejack tried to hold her tongue but found the task impossible. Just as before, it was proceeded by a giggle. The topics may have been anything but pleasant but to hear it from the Apple horse's mouth, it may as well have been. “Aww now come on, Fire. Y'all know that ain't right! Twi ain't always gonna make tha best decision but if weren't fer her, we'd be up tha creek without a paddle. Kinda like this!” Applejack quickly grabbed the paddles used to row the boat and tossed them into the water, laughing wildly as she did so. “Hahahahaahahahaha!....Oh, oh FIDDLESTICKS!” She yelled as the realization hit her. She tried to reach out and grab them but the current took them away. Her paddle was grasped by something and pulled under, snapping before it vanished under a sea of bubbles. She started to feel sad again.

“Dangit. Ah shoulda known ta strap down them paddles. These leeches don't get much sustenance. Makes sense they'd try an' slow us down,” she said, sad and pouting like a child. She huffed and sighed. “Figures. Ma didn't want me out here much on account of it being so dangerous, but Ah reckon its cause Ah can be so gosh darn stupid at times,” she moaned, laying down on her back and wondering what she had to do next to be rid of this space. She closed her eyes, sighing once again as the water underneath them kept on glowing all the colors of the rainbow.

• 2 weeks later...

It1VYdx.png

Apparently emotion mucking leaches did not go on holidays. What an surprise. Fire might have been rather angry on the outside, but her thoughts stayed somewhat sarcastic. These were two traits that were generally alien to hers, at least presently. And while she was a nasty teen back in her early years in high school, military life eventually slapped all that sass from her. But here they are, back like some old roommate from college who never bothered to grow up. This was more of that silly magic working its way through her very being. How in the world was Applejack able to do this for so long by herself? This question continued to bounce around in the officer's head.

Still, even with this new craziness, they still had their trusty boat and its paddles. Which were now floating in the water. This still was no problem as they could quickly paddle over and pick up.....and they just sunk like a stone. Which was odd. Weren't paddles made to float? "Applejack?" She knew it was clearly the magic that was making the farmer do this. "You're not stupid. It's this blasted magic.", she growled, "If only I had a big bag of salt, I'd dump it into the water and welcome the little buggers to Meltytown, but erm." Fustratiion was starting to mount inside. Could she use this to her advantage? "Guess we should try paddling with our legs. How far is this trip? If it's long, we should try floating over to the edge. I could make new oars. So get up and help....oh dear."

Before any of her ideas could come into fruition, their boat started to move on its own. "Eh, Applejack? Is this normal?"

5HbB79Q.png

“Well, yer probably right an' all, but Ah don't feel that way. Never was one for fancy education and such but Ah always thought Ah was soil-smart. But Ah've been makin' so many dang mistakes- Ahn always so boisterous and such out here, should be all cautious like,” she sighed, her head over the raft and dipping ever so lightly above the water. “Ain't easy, thinkin' its all yer fault,” she whispered next to nopony in particular. “Trip ain't too long. We can just relax. And don't say nothin' you'd regret about them critters. They're just playing around now, feedin' all gentle like. Don't want them to get all mean,” she replied, reaching her hoof down to gently pat the water. It was gonna be relaxing. In a way it felt good to have no control right now. It allowed her to wallow and while that was generally Rarity's shtick she had to imagine it felt good in a certain way.

The only problem with this was that her hoof didn't reach the water. The water was further away than she had thought. It was as if the boat was being raised...which it was. First it was gentle and then it was rough. She saw a pair of bog eyes and then ducked back into the boar, her back flat to the bottom. All of the strangeness was tossed outside. Her mind was gripped by current events and partially dispensed with the misery of earlier events. “Remain still an' stay away from tha side, Sugarcube. Snuggle up close,” she patted the spot next to her. “Its one of 'em sea serpents. Some of 'em are awfully nice but no sense takin' a risk...since another set of 'em are nasty. Guess that's what snapped tha paddles all fierce like,” she said, trying to keep calm and focus on the moment to moment.

The boat roiled forward on the sea serpent's back. It slowed down and seemed to snake along the river, not noticing the boat on its back. Applejack took a few deep, panicked breaths as she tried to calm herself down. The water changed to a dark red, almost black, and she closed her eyes. Her nose still worked when Fire got closer. “You smell awful nice, sugarcube. Where'd ya get that perfume?” she asked, her mind wandering around the park of random thoughts.

• 2 weeks later...

It1VYdx.png

“Well, that’s the thing about mistakes. You learn from them and move on.”, Fire Walker felt the last trance of her anger as it vanished into the murky, but colorful river. Maybe if she kept herself feeling positive, the slippery leaches won’t have any power over her. Actually, make that, the very clever and helpful Hirudinea that were once very important in olden days to help get rid of nasty old humors, would leave them alone. Thankfully modern magical and non magical healing advanced over the years. Worry and fear started to fill her being. She had an check-up coming up. How she hated these. It combined all the things she disliked the most. Waiting in an waiting room and then being picked and prodded at by her doctor. And then there was all the naggings. She was a good pony! She lost weight! Her good cholesterol chased all away the bad. Oh woe.

The officer nodded and moved a little closer to the center with the farmer. Cripes! A sea serpent sure sounded scary! With their long and snake like bodies and magnificent mustaches. "Wait a second." something bothered her, "We're not by the sea. Wouldn't that be an river serpent?" Rivers were usually not that big, so a river serpent would be small, but the he might crawl all over her like a little worm. Imagine a bunch of all over her! The fearful mare continued to get closer to her companion. Perfume? Like that 'Parfum De Cheval De Fantaisie' or the kind that Wind Walker giggles at. Eau De Toilette. "Erm. Just my deodorant..Probably where you're getting the scent from. Smells like cinnamon."

Wait a second? Was Applejack hitting on her? Was she actually getting the ol' bedroom eyes from a pregnant mare? One that is hitched to Rainbow Dash? That gal is pretty tough! And she would give the red Pegasus pony a good whooping if she found out! Oh the horror! Fire wanted to hide under the boat...Could the waters change colors again? She hated being afraid!

5HbB79Q.png

She supposed it made some sense that they would be river serpents rather than sea serpents, but the size of the critter made Applejack wary of downplaying its size any. If there were different sizes of beast and a river serpent was big enough to treat their boat as an incidental piece of driftwood in its travels, them just how big could a sea serpent get? She didn't want to think about it, especially as she could feel the scaly body slide under them in a rolling fashion, each new bump rocking the boat as it made its way down the river. She shook her head and whispered back, “Ah ain't ever heard of a river serpent. Maybe this fella's lost or maybe it don't matter where y'all find them, they're the same- either way, he's a big 'un. Or she, who tha hay knows,” she ended quietly as a big bump stole her breath.

Speaking of stealing her breath, the deodorant was mighty fine. She wasn't much for one of them fancy nice smelling types. She just wanted to make sure whatever she wore didn't stink her up some and luckily it didn't. But she smelled mighty good. “Well, y'all are smellin' nice with it,” she winked pleasantly. She wasn't meaning or wanting to be flirty, but also had very little control over how she was coming across. Truth to tell she had very little control over anything at the moment and was just happy to not make a complete foal of herself out here. Not that she had much control over that, either. She looked around the corner, looking down at the critter. It seemed to be slowing down. That could e a good thing, hopefully. “All things being equal, Ah'm happy yer here as opposed ta others. You have a right good sense about ya,” she complimented, taking a deep breath as she assumed her old position.

Just then the sea serpent took a big dive into the water, quickly and without warning. The boat hung in mid-air for a second before it started to plummet down into the river. They were met a dozen or so feet in the sky by a giant wave left in the wake of the critter which sent the boat spinning. It landed on its side as another wave came in, crashing over the sides and getting both mares wet from head to toe- and nearly capsizing the watercraft. The next few waves were big and got them wet- shockingly, the boat survived, and a few moments later they were in calm waters. Applejack wrung her hat and placed it back, looking around and squinting. “Ah think....Ah think that there is tha landing!”

It1VYdx.png

Even with her armor on, Fire Walker still managed to feel a bump as their little boat went over something. What was it? Did they hit one of those leaches? Or was there more unique river creatures below? Could there be scaly river pony monsters that seek out fillies and cucumbers to eat? Thankfully, the officer was none of those two things. There were also Kelpie, but she had heard they were considered friendly creatures and only used their powers when it was the only option left. They were basically like river sirens but without the forced mating and murder. Just knowing that the only thing keeping a horde of blood thirsty river creatures from tasting their sweet, sweet flesh was a flimsy piece of boat wood under their hooves, made her skin creep.

“Well thanks.”, the mare felt the unpleasant tingle of fear as it finally floated away into the either. “Always liked cinnamon and the higher ups don’t want their officers cantering about smelling like an Prench outhouse. And I like the smell. Cinnamon goes good with everything. Toast. Ice Cream. Oats. Whiskey.” With the leaches latest ‘magic’ free from her mind, the Pegasus pony was able to think clearly for a moment. The farmer –was- not hitting on her by choice. It was all that silly magic. “Thanks once again, Applejack. I’m learning a good deal from you on this little trip.” She had served at the side of the princess, prince and even a few civilians, and each time she did one of these escorts, she always managed to pick up more than a few pointers.

As a smile formed on her face she heard a mighty sound, “Oh look, it’s a river serpent.” Before she could get a good look at the majestic beast, their strange, slow ride turned into white water rafting! Just without the white water or raft. Maybe bumper boats? The mare let out an not-so-brave

HqoOJ6F.png

As the boat fell, she properly braced herself and made sure the farmer was not about to either break her neck or fall out of the boat. Thankfully it appeared that this was not the earth pony’s first rodeo. And it was all over as quickly as it had begun. “Ho-boy.”, the mare tried to shake the excess water off. “That was crazier than any ride in Whinny World.” Her eyes quickly fell upon a welcome sight. “Looks like we’re almost back on dry land. Thank Celestia.”, she sighed, “So, what’s next?”

Spoiler

OOC: Well, what do you know. They actually make cinnamon deodorant.

As7LUqp.jpg

5HbB79Q.png

Applejack had to agree. This was more wild than Whinny World if only because there was little in the way of danger to anything in an amusement park. It was all tried and tested and such. Out in the wilds it never much mattered what you thought would happen because there wasn't a way to really test out how it felt to get bit by a timberwolf that you'd want to attempt. The Everfree was a wild place, a dangerous place, and you had to give it all the respect such danger demanded. That didn't mean you couldn't derive a little bit of fun from the rush of adrenaline that accompanied any decent trip into it, however. If getting chased by dangerous critters, caught in storms, hunkering down in the unknown, rafting down dangerous rivers and sneaking by who knows what didn't get the blood pumping then check a doctor, 'cause you're likely dead.

“I'm learning from you too, Fire. Hopefully we don't need too many of these lessons in our day ta day life,” Applejack replied with a bit of a chuckle as they got on dry land. She made sure to tie the boat back up and sighed. “Well, we'll just have ta head on an' get tha seeds now. Ain't anythin' too drastic in tha way. Just keep aware of roamin' dangerous critters. Otherwise, we'll be safe,” Applejack offered up, happy to be away from the water. She could feel herself coming down from the rush of weirdly conflicting emotions that the river critters gave her. It was as if she had been working the fields hard all day. Sheer exhaustion! Of course she knew this wasn't the case, just an after effect of everything the river had given them. She'd power through it and in a few minutes it'd be fine.

“Hey Fire- just so y'all know, I didn't want anypony to accompany me out here. Ah think Ah can handle mahself and Ah don't like relyin' on others and such. But Ah was wrong. It's been mighty good havin' ya along with me on this trip, Sugarcube,” Applejack offered off-hoofedly as they made their way away from the river.

It1VYdx.png

Fire Walker was filled with so much adrenaline after the perilous river ride, she almost wanted to get into a fight with something nasty to calm herself a down a bit! But wishing for such a thing was only one ticket away from trouble-town. She needed to think positive. The only thing they were going to run into were fluffy bunnies who would offer them carrot smoothies and back-rubs.  Her imagination ran away with her as one of her bunny masseurs was a tad bit on the hunky side, and they usually don't come in those flavors. Unless they had rabbits that were sapient around here. She had seen both dogs and cats that walked on two legs in the past, so why not rabbits?

"Right. Nasty critters.", she kept her voice down low. While they ran into an assortment of environmental dangers, for the most part they had managed to avoid any beastie danger. At least from the types of beasts who could do their harm. After their boat came to an full and complete stop, the red mare helped the farmer tie up their former ride. On the dock, the Pegasus pony spotted a pair of oars that were mounted on a board near the dock. "At least we won't have to worry about that.", she added.  And speaking of critters. "You alright in there?", she glanced into an semi-open saddlebag in which Dander had been hiding. The bat gave her a quick affirmative squeak before returning his attention to a lovely little cracker he had been guarding during the trip.

"Well, thanks. ", the officer smiled back at Applejack who seemed to appreciate her coming along , "It doesn't matter how tough or brave you are, you should always have somepony to watch your back when traveling through dangerous lands.", Her brother Moon Walker mentioned that a friend of his' second cousin knew a guy who tried to climb Mount Aris by himself and ended up burying his front back leg in an minor avalanche. After calling out for help for hours, he ended up having to bite his own left off to get to safety! She had a feeling he was pulling her tail, but it was still a good lesson to be learned. 

"Please warn me ahead when we get close to 'Ma Seed's place.", Fire Walker asked, "Don't want to risk accidently stumbling into something or accidently insulting her."  And speaking or stumbling into something, a sharp sound could be heard from a short canter away from the path. Could these be timberwolves? Or timberbears?

• 3 weeks later...

5HbB79Q.png

Fire Walker was good and prepared for what was required of her at Ma Seed's place. The mare wasn't known by Applejack to be anything less than forthright. Indeed, that had been part and parcel the reason why Twilight had suggested the mare in the first place. She wasn't likely to fail to heed Applejack's words, even when she started talking about things that Twilight was sure were wrong- like forest spirits and other superstitious things that no scientific evidence could possibly back. Applejack appreciated her friend's good insight into the type of pony Fire was and as the journey neared the end, was more than a little impressed by the guard mare. She was kind and strong, forthright and studious, friendly and open. It could have gone a lot worse, a whole heck of a lot worse.

“Ah'll warn ya. Be hard ta miss it, really,” Applejack laughed, looking up and above at the trees as she continued, “tha garden ain't natural, y'all can see that much. Has all sorts of flowers an' plants an' trees that y'all can't see anywhere else. Legend has it that Ma Seed collects all tha stray flowers an' seeds that don't belong in tha Everfree and takes them ta her garden for safekeeping. You can see stuff from Saddle Arabia, Neighpon, Long Guo- really from all over. 'Course like most fables thar's a dark side. If y'all try and take from her an' her garden without makin' tha offer, she'll make sure you don't leave. Strange statues and critters, monsters and pony-sized plants act as guardians, an' tha legend is that bad ponies get turned into them,” she laughed once more.

“Twi ain't so sure about that. She don't believe in tha more, err, mystical elements of tha legend. Said even if such things existed, it probably had more to do with old diseases that we're now immune ta, or strange gasses playin' tricks on us. Regardless-” she stopped as the twig snapped. A moment later, both mares frozen in place, the area was bathed in a red light.

“Close yer eyes an' stay still,” Applejack whispered, standing completely still and with her eyes shut firmly. A few moments later a cockatrice, twice as big as most others, slithered and flew in equal measure in front of the ponies. Its eyes were completely red and lacked a pupil as it snaked around the mares. It looked at their hooves and started to wind itself up their bodies, pecking at them with more curiosity than anything else. It moved its way up Fire's back, through her wings, and onto her mane. It looked down at her face and pecked at her snout.

After a few more moments it started to slither down her face, the bulk of its form slithering over her left eyelid. It stuck to her body as it made its way down her chest and to her stomach, where it eventually slithered off and formed up in front of her. It then shot up, standing at what looked life half height. Its chicken form at the top brushed up in full against Fire's face, smushing her features against its back. She could feel and hear it give a hearty call. A moment later, from the underbrush, came a dozen more cockatrices that flew or slithered their way slowly on the ground.

Its many chicken feathers accidentally tickling Fire's snout, the alpha cockatrice watched as the pack slowly moved through the two mares.

It1VYdx.png

"The garden isn't natural?" Considering they were in one of the most unnatural-ist places in all of Equestria, things had to be super-freaky to out-weird the Everfree. “That’s not too odd.”, the mare had been expecting something a little odder. “I’ve seen gardens where they had plants from other regions. It can be hard to replicate the transplanted er, plant’s exact regional requirements, but it can be done.” She had a feeling this garden probably had something more bizarre than an Canterlot Beech tree or Las Pegasus Joshua trees. Venus Pony Traps? Tomatoes with tobacco inside? Or even a tree that only eats the kites flown by foals. She was looking for something bizarre. A Larch was not going to impress her.

“I’ll just stick to my job at hoof.”, the mare stated, “If I want to get an unique plant at prices that can’t be beat, I’ll head over to Crazy Daisy's Flowers & More. They have a store over in Fillydelphia.” She doubted Oak Branch would mind having another plant to take care of.  Swift Squall's trusted butler looked so thrilled when she dropped off all those Wasabi seeds. Or was that horrified? Guy never seems to shake his butler-face.

The mare was in good spirits, even after all the craziness that had happened during their travels. "Legends tend to rooted in fact, and considering what our favorite purple princess has seen...erm.", she clammed up and stopped dead on her hooves.  As per the farmer's orders, Fire Walker closed her eyes and just listened. Something sounded like a snake with wings. But was that a rooster? Considering critters like that don't tend to hang around, it could only be one thing. A cockatrice! These were horrifying creatures. One look in the eye could turn just about anypony into an statue of themselves! And now she was being pecked on.

Oh Joy.

The Pegasus pony managed to resist the urge to smack the offending creature.Snouts were for kissing and booping! Not pecking!

Now wishing she had opted for full plate as opposed to standard Pegasus armor that left her undercarriage exposed, the mare continued to stand as still as a statue. She knew if she made any sudden moves or opened her eyes, she would not have to pretend a statue as she would become one. The pesky beast continued to crawl all over her body. Fear filled the mare a she felt the slimy creature on her stomach. If it passed her navel, she had severe doubts she would be able to hold her pose any longer. Thankfully, it returned to her front. And now she could hear more. Sweet Celestia. What should she do? Would she have to fight these guys with her eyes closed? She did take a few classes in blind-fighting, but there was always a chance she could hit the farmer. This would be the exact opposite of her mission. Applejack had probably been through this before...The officer needed to stand still a little longer and depend on the earth pony. She will know what to do...

5HbB79Q.png

The cockatrice sat there, staring at its flock as it made its passage through the area safely. It turned here and there. Its eyes were ever vigilant and constantly searching for any iota of threat to present itself. A more watchful and eager protector the flock could never ask for. Its feathers continued to tickle Fire's snout, the beastie not much concerned with whatever was behind it. It hadn't moved and it didn't look dangerous in the slightest, best to leave it alone. For all of their malevolence once they needed to protect their lock, cockatrices were not hunters or seekers of conflict by nature. The flock slithered and flew its way slowly, the older ones leading from the front and book-ending the march while the younger ones stayed in the middle, protected flanks all around. It was working well for them.

Applejack had run into packs of these things before. They were dangerous if provoked (and just about everything provoked them), but they wouldn't seek you out. Once they believed you were a threat they wouldn't let you get away, however. They were paranoid critters like that. Nopony really knew how many there were but they couldn't have been that populous. Rarer than most other critters, thats for sure. You just hoped you ran into single ones and not packs. Packs could get vicious. Luckily for the pair of mare out here alone, the pack was just transitioning and not in the mood for any silliness to break out. They kept up the pace and within a minute or so had moved through the area.

The alpha looked around, ensuring that no great threat loomed just out of its view. When it was certain of safety, it moved, quickly slithering on the ground and making odd squawking sounds. It moved through the underbrush and, in due time, made its way out of sight entirely. An odd, eerie silence returned. Slowly the bugs and other animals of the forest started to move and chirp, run and scurry about, having in a majority sense stayed still to avoid a stony fate. After another minute, Applejack opened her eyes, welcoming the blurry, vision dotted vista with great appreciation. “Woooie, that was a close one. Come on Fire, we're almost thar!”

It1VYdx.png

Fire Walker hated everything about this. The pecking. The sounds of the slithering. The touch of the creature’s scaly hide. The annoying bawk bawks! And then there was the smell! It did not smell like she stepped into an petting zoo, but the petting zoo had stepped on her. But how did this work again? Were they liked the cursed snaked-maned mare of mythology? Were you turned into stone by just looking at these creatures? Or did they have to look at you? Direct eye-to-eye contact and you were stone? Could you turn back? This she would not dare test. And this was just not one or two, but an whole family of them! What would happen if such a group marched through Ponyville?

Still, there was not much she could do, but to stay still and wait for the creatures to move on. And they sure were taking their time! Random thoughts quickly filled up in the officer’s mind. If she needed to, could she fight off these beasties? She had been trained to fight in low level light, but blind? And would he weapons be strong enough to pierce the Cockatrice’s hide? Nope, that would be suicide. Not only could they turn the living into stone, they had razor sharp beaks and talons. And not only would she put herself in danger, there was also Applejack and her unborn foal. There were no options besides standing still and hoping for the best.

And the best finally came. And with Applejack's very welcomed words were spoken, the Pegasus pony slowly opened her eyes. "Well, that was terrifying.", she whispered, "Please lead the way." Would they finally get to meet 'Ma Seed'?

5HbB79Q.png

“Yeah, lets get thar quickly. We're not far,” Applejack said as she trotted ahead. The dark canopy of the forest grew tighter with every second that passed. More foreboding. Scarier. But like all things terrifying it didn't last forever.

The change in scenery was near immediate and startling. What was once a dark forest that was growing tighter and tighter with moss and lichen on the ground and the trees gave way to a more open space. The dark canopy that covered much of the Everfree was gone, and the way was lit by the brightness of the sun. This allowed the overwhelming color of the place to take hold in the mind. Flowers of every color and stripe swayed in the gentle breeze almost in full unison. Plants unseen in Equestria flourished side by side with their predatory neighbors. Bees, bugs, and many other crawlies(species unknown) crawled plainly across the ground and around the flowers. Birds flew above and landed on plants and trees, some of which reacted with unusual sprays of pollen. A stream acted as a moat and in this stream were fish, packed almost too tight for any reasonable movement, moving in near perfect unison. They leapt up in their rainbow majesty to greet the newcomers. They were snatched up by the birds who flew away, spreading the many-colored pollen below. The plants soaked it up and small liquid streams went by the bugs, who greedily drank it up.

As the mares moved inward the trees and plants got more specific and recognizable. Stuff from Saddle Arabia thrived impossibly next to a swamp-created Neighponese flower. Row after row of ancient seeds and plants sprouted colorfully out of the ground. Next to it, however, was a gnarled mass of distinct little weeds. They were beautiful in their own way but were definitely out of place, and seemed to twist and curl as the mares approached. Past this was a cove with alabaster reflections and cool breezes. Applejack entered it carefully, for almost every direction was filled with seeds. On the walls and roof of the cove, in the water floating, underwater, with several long, eel-like flying creatures sleeping about. In the corner, one of them impossibly dug into the area, were a smattering of lightly glowing orange seeds.

Applejack nodded. Careful to not step on any seed or the critters, she made her way there. One by one she slowly pulled them out of the wall, leaving a hole that was filling in quickly behind it with another seed. As she started to take the seeds, a sound could be heard. It sounded like the buzzing of bees or the singing of birds, maybe the slap of water from a fish. Truthfully it was silent and it struck them smoothly and well inside of their heads: The sound of a gentle yet growing hum, as the bioluminescent moss on the water seemed to become a kaleidoscope of colors. Applejack continued her task, harvesting quickly but carefully, ensuring to not leave a whole nor take too much, muttering almost wordlessly to herself after each one.

It1VYdx.png

Fire Walker quickly followed after the mare and as she trotted on. As she quickly moved along the path, the mare could not help but gasp as the scenery quickly changed.  Gone were the dark and depressing Everfree colors which were quickly replaced by brightness and lots and lots of activity! There was so much going on, the mare felt like her head was going to spin off just by trying to see everything. So much flora and fauna that covered just about everything! It almost reminded her of some of the crazy things she would see during her wild little parties in college. A gal could go mad just hanging around the strange forest. Hopefully they only intended to hang around just long enough for Applejack to get her seeds. Maybe the caretaker could think about selling her special seeds through mail order! And just where was this ‘Ma Seed’?

She wanted to ask the farmer a few questions, but deiced against it. The mare looked like she was almost in a trance as she quickly picked her needed ‘fire-dance' seedlings. She could ask them later. And knowing there was nothing she wanted or needed here, the officer stood in one place. She would simply watch and wait. Soon the earth pony would be finished and they would be able to get back to Canterlot. Thankfully she had a home she could crash. Maybe spend a few hours at the spa? Those gals had magical hooves. Or even better, maybe ask for the big guy with the tiny wings? Sometimes a big adventure needed to be followed by an equally massive massage!

"You okay in there?", the red mare glanced over at her saddlebag. Inside one of the bigger pockets, rested Dander who was still snoozing away. "Thank goodness.", she muttered to herself. She could only imagine if the little Squeak bat had emerged from her temporary home when they were being harassed by the cockatrices. With her last concern put to rest, Fire Walker waited...

5HbB79Q.png

The humming sound that had been building into what could only be called a soul-stopping, soundless rumble stopped, and instead resumed at a lower volumeless volume. A light from outside the cove seemed to shine deeper in, cascading white and yellow lights banking ever closer from a source that seemed to inch ever closer. Right when the source would enter the cove, it was extinguished, as a new silence overtook them. Only the drip of water and the sound of bugs could be heard, a stark contrast between the gentle humming inside their head. Applejack was still intensely focused on her work, but even she noticed it. She didn't seem all that concerned about it, though.

A few moments later what looked like hoofprints could be seen walking on the ground, sometimes hitting the water that laid an inch or more off the ground in some places. As it grew closer the form of the figure started to take shape in an abstract sense. A tail that had little corporeal form and a long trail of green flame or flowers, hard to tell in the unusual light and lack of realistic form. A lithe blue-green-pink shifting color mare appeared, though she could be seen through in her entirety, long flowing locks moving about her in the same manner as Celestia's mane. Her face was still partially obscured but it exuded an aura of friendliness and contentedness as she approached the two.

She looked at Fire as she continued walking, gentleness in her every step even as she continued past. Fire would feel a deep and gnawing sense of judgement being passed followed by a soothing and joyful response to deep questions once asked. She really was a good pony, it seemed. The ghost, spirit, mare, vision, whatever one termed it, continued on, partially walking through Fire to reach Applejack. The Apple mare was just finishing her work as she looked up, her breath catching in her throat as the force bent down, hoof to Applejack's lips. She couldn't speak even if she wanted.

The spirit looked at the seeds that had been taken, her expression even. Applejack opened up her saddlebag and started taking out what she had decided made a good offering. The expression changed- a smile-, as that same hoof washed over Applejack's open saddlebag. In a quick moment Applejack felt compelled to close it and rise. As she did so, the spirit leaned in and whispered something. Not that it needed to whisper. Only Applejack would hear what it had to say regardless. Applejack looked straight ahead, then smiled, a single tear rolling down her cheek. The spirit leaned away from her and then vanished in place, the sound of the cove returning.

“We...we got what we came for, Sugarcube. Let's go home,” Applejack said, wiping her eyes free of tears.

It1VYdx.png

And waited.

Thankfully one of the very first things Fire Walker learned in officer school was to be very patient. This helped her when dealing with difficult ponies or new recruits and it was also an great aid when she had been stationed at posts during her earlier years as an young officer. There she had to stand still for a very long time and keep her eyes open to EVERYTHING. At least here she was able to see all kinds of beauty that she might not see again in her lifetime. So much of everything in such a small spot. This also gave her an few ideas for an meditation area at stately Swift Squall manor. Just a small bit of land surrounded by sound buffering trees. Maybe set up a nice pond with koi fish and a fountain. There she could just sit and not be distracted by the outside world. Oh yes, she could see it all.

The officer took a moment to ponder what this 'Ma Seed' could be. An hermit devoted to the upkeep of the odd bit of woods. Or maybe a group of ponies, or even a family that lived to protect the area who would be lead by an matronly mare. That would make sense. But where were they? She had seen no signs of life, beyond the assortment of critters. And then entered the spirit. Fire let out an gasp. This had to be Applejack's 'Ma Seed'. And while stories told of the horrible coldness one would feel when an ghost passed through the living, the Pegasus pony felt nothing of the sort. It almost reminded her the feeling she would get when standing near Princess Celestia. Could this have been an Alicorn? Fire watched as the guardian had an silent conversation with the farmer.

And as quickly as she appeared, the vision vanished! "Erm.", the officer could only say as her eyes fell upon the last spot this 'Ma Seed' stood. "Yeah, guess we better get going....Back the way we came."  She turned around and glanced back at their trail. Ho-Boy.

Archived