Thank Chaos It's Friday [Starlight Glimmer; Invite]

RexDraco

@Lyipheoryia

---------------------------

Nothing was more random or uncontrollable than the force of chaos. Sometimes Discord's day was wholly decided by the luck o the draw. Chaosville was not a place easily entered nor was it simply retreated from. It was a world constructed of his creative flair. All things that seemed quite average: like a small house on the corner wit ha white picket fence... was rather bizarrely set upon a floating island among more floating islands. Pit traps of reality and strings of theoretical spaces the world was one that existed between and behind the other one that was placed upside-down. Those who let go of ideas and concepts could easily access the world, but once a pony believed in madness, there was no escaping it. A chore it was maintaining a realm of madness, one he did with great ease. It was fueled by chaos, quite wonderfully sourced from the ponies of the world. Before it, where had he existed? Well somewhere over there, he could assure you with a minimum certainty of 42%.

It was a Friday afternoon, Discord was bored out of his mind. He had already beaten himself three times in 6-D Chess, though he won seven more. He still couldn't figure out where the seventh win came from. He could only assume he beat himself in the future by cheating. He was lounged out in his front yard, upside down with his back against his bubblegum tree. His horns were spoked into the soils while the chessboards floated around. The small pony-carved pieces were replicas of knights, princesses, princes priests and soldiers of the ranks. They ran about the boards striking each other and defending their small hinterlands of cardboard landscapes. His manticore's paw and griffon's claw were crossed over his brown, feathery chest, hindlegs bobbed forward as his gator's hind talon would move pieces to respective points and his tail, the defending champion, would outdo the discordant spirits tactical plans through , what Discord felt, was gorilla warfare. He doesn't even know how the gorilla miniatures got on the board.

The spirit's mismatched ruby pupils burned against his molten-gold sclera as he focused on his next move. He was in check position. If he could just capture that rook checkmate would be his again. It was at that point the Sunday Post arrived!  "Oh, the newspaper is early!" His red tail reached out, the white tuft grabbing the rolled newspaper. 

Passing it off to himself Discord vanished, reappearing in the center of his living room on a big, green chair. A purple waistcoat and monocle completed a most stereotypical ensemble of a noblepony. In his paw he held perched a pipe that spewed pink bubbles. His hind hoof was crossed over his gator knee as the knows paper was held in front of him with his talon. Grey brows arched over the glass as he stared at the article. The front page had an image of Twilight, the headline was simple: Princess Dedicates Time to Pupil: Forgets Friends. Below looked to be a display of a Cockatrice's mugshot, accused of planning attacks on the Pony Capital during a Magical Meteor shower. While always up to read of the magical antics in Canterlot, he was quite curious why Twilight had been busy as of late. He had turned to the page of the article in question and read it with great scorn. So this little pony was the reason why Twilight hand't invited him over for another board game?

It could be the fact that he had a tendency to turn everypony into the pieces and play with them, in the stead of actually playing with them. Well come now... it was just a matter of using one's language correctly. Hue hue hue! "Starlight Glimmer, hmmm? My she is quite talented." He eyed the stat sheet beneath a photograph of her  laughing like a maniacal super villain waving a staff. Where had that photo even come from? "Her intelligence is almost at max, but I see she's lacking in the Friendship department. not yet graduated, hmm?" His lips curled back over his teeth in delight. "It looks like we're having a sleep over!"

The chair would vanish with a puff of smoke, as did his fancy outfit. Standing on his hind legs he would clap his paw and claw together as a large , leather suitcase appeared in front of him, wide open. He stood with his paw to his hip as his claws stroked through the curled, white beard. What did he need for a sleep over? Snapping his claws a pair of striped white and blue pajamas would appear, followed by two bananas. His toothbrush and toothpaste, as well as his rubber duckie, were next to be manifested. His scrub brush and shower cap, as well as a large ball of yarn would be the last things to appear before he sat back on his haunches. forelimbs crossed over his chest. Something was missing...?

A lightbulb appeared over his head for a moment before he shook his head. "No, no!" A snap of his claws and the lightbulb transformed into a kitchen sink. He plucked the sink from the air and set it in the suitcase. "Perfect!" His paw came to his chest as he sat on the suitcase to force it closed. "How embarrassing, I almost forgot the kitchen sink." He lamented. "That should be everything."

Popping a bowler cap atop his head he would reach into his feathers and pull out a silver pocket watch that ran backwards and seemed to have gears and coils sticking out of the edges. When the clock struck 11:11, off he went! The chimeric beast would appear in Ponyville, floating around the square before seating himself on the top of the fountain's main spout, levitated by the water, somehow with legs crossed. He had bird watching binoculars over his eyes and a pith helmet on head. Now where was his vic-- playmate at? the binoculars had ridiculous zoom, but quite expected of the spirit, really.

-------------------

• 2 weeks later...

((Unlike you, unfortunately, I cannot give an equally long reply~))

Magic...one of the greatest raw talents of the world.  It was a natural to some, and to others a great struggle to find.  It worked its way into the bright minds of every Unicorn and magical creature.  It found its way into even the best of the best.  If created flaws in ponies, flaws of great cracks into the expanse of things to create an even greater picture.  It made wars and established peace.  It was the answer to all...and a question to everything.  Ponies had learned to harness it's chaotic force-using spells and horns and wings to manipulate the magic into a workable force.  Spells were something that all Unicorns were familiar with-especially Starlight's mentor: Princess Twilight Sparkle of Friendship.

Another thing magic had power over were cutie marks.  Cutie mark magic, some called it.  Others called it fate.  Others called it destiny.  And some...called it a work of great magic.  Cutie marks were the very thing that represented each and everypony.  It was the unique span of ideals that could change an entire world.  Using magic to change a cutie mark was beyond conceivable thought...and perhaps that is what made Starlight attract the attention of her mentor.  

Starlight grew up in a place where magic was...different.  If you were good at it, you would be taken someplace else.  If you were bad at it, you stayed there.  Oh, how the world had changed around her.  She lived her life in angry, fear, and solitude-lacking the magical ability that others perceived to be stereotyped cliches. Instead, her magic was different.  She could change a cutie mark...and in other words...change the destiny of another pony.  She could alter their entire personality, and she could work her way into their core beliefs.  And so she created a place...a sanctuary where other could share her love in a world where cutie marks were equal.  

It was a Friday afternoon, and she had just awoken from a nap.  Once again she had dreamed of returning to the village, only to see the angry villagers eager to destroy her.  Her magic had made her powerful, but it had not made her beloved at all.  She closed her eyes and took a deep breath, Starlight, it's okay.  You've already visited them-and they still love you.  You're not an enemy, and they don't want to destroy you.

With that, she set off to her mentor's library.  A good book will always make me feel better.

((No worries, don't need to match!))

Perched on the top of the fountain's spout, water washing up and seemingly curving around the spirit, the chaotic entity spied around Ponyville. His red tail was coiled down around the main spout, as his hoof and talon perched against its top basin. The water seemed to have ceased along the center at his mere presence. In one spot he took note of Doctor Whooves entering the post in what seemed to be great haste. His claw and paw were grasped around the dark viewers, continuing to pan across the horizon. He would spot Rarity taking a dive on her fainting couch, for one reason or another. Her actual distance from where he currently was seemed to have no bearing on the factuality that he should not be able to zoom in as such. Regardless of his defiance of logic, the spirit did not seem to find what he was looking for. His ears pricked up, the focus of his camera turning to the target! Right in his line of sight the spirit would catch Twilight's pupil trotting towards the castle.

His head turned to the side, binoculars vanishing in a flash of confetti. His paw and claw settled digit-tip to digit-tip as he wiggled his fingers deviously. As it seemed the mare was all on her own, no pony foalsitting her. He had heard quite a bit about her, yet nothing out of the muzzle of Twilight nor any of her -- his friends. HIs ears pinned back at the thought. Were they perhaps trying to keep this mare a secret from him? She had been quite active in her turn over from villain to hero and it seemed quite a waste not to introduce her to him, or perhaps they were worried that -- no, no. He wasn’t forgotten. Right? They just forgot to invite him. Well - that wasn’t very nice! The thought alone was enough to cause his feathers to bristle. But he had to remain calm and not jump to conclusions. She was new. She was unaware that she had to greet him first and foremost. Yes, yes. She was simply ignorant to her role. Because nopony told her… How sad! A little pony that hasn’t learned anything. And Twilight called herself a teacher.

He would fix that!

It was easy to surmise that a mix of jealousy and a natural drive to disrupt Harmony are what drove the spirit to plot against the unicorn mare. She was quite an easy target, were he fair on the matter. She was ignorant of him, and had enough self esteem to fit in an eggshell. He was the sort that wished to be in the mix so whether it was intentional or not, he wasn’t told about Starlight Glimmer being a spark of interest for the newly dubbed Alicorn Princess. It as curious. What did Starlight have that wasn’t worth telling him, or was, perhaps worth hiding from him? He slithered between here and there, his teleporting process more like stepping between places to get where he was precisely meant to be at the moment he was meant to be, and no sooner. Sure he was occasionally late but it was not always a simple task to calculate for time gain when moving at a greater speed. Riding comets always did risk that!

He snapped his claw, having a large egg appear in her path towards the library. It stood on its bottom, a tower of books balanced on top of it. The tomes were quite thick. They ranged from titles like: The Theory of Quantum Mechanics to the History and Social Influence of the Potato, which was actually much denser as opposed the first! It was a curious sight, but were she to draw her line of sight to the top of the pile sat an aged looking wingman chair. Sitting on said chair with a maroon colored smoking jacket. The jacket was tied closed with a red napkin peeking from his chest pocket. A silver chain hung from his waist pocket, leading to what was obviously a pocket watch. In his manticore paw sat a smoking pipe with bubbles slowly drifting from its chamber. His claw rest over his fur-covered knee, which was slung over his talon’s knee. His goatee was slicked back in a coif giving him a ridiculous look only supplemented by the black, mismatched mustache over his muzzle. A folded newspaper rest over his knee, grasped and held up as he seemed to examine the particular photograph and Starlight.

My, my, what do we have here?” He questioned in a faux, Trottingham accent that sounded from across the seas. “A celebrity in these midsts? Well I must ask for an autograph.” The paper, folded to the page with the embarrassing image of Starlight menacing our town with no name, looking quite tops with her evil laugh, and a pen. “I am sure you know who I am, big fan of your work.” He chuckled, lips curling back.

How did he even get such a picture? Well, he was Discord, Lord of Chaos. He could have gotten it many ways, down to the fact that he may have been there, the source of interest. Who knows if he was skulking about initiating the mess. True to form, he wasn’t. He was much instead enjoying a bubble bath, reaping the benefits of Twilight and gang being distracted. He did love his nightly soaks. Nothing like some peppermints and a comic book to wind down from introducing chaos into a harmonious environment.

On 10/24/2016 at 11:47 AM, RexDraco said:

My, my, what do we have here?

The following events happened in barely a second, Starlight's mind working even faster than it usually did.  

She heard the voice coming near her, clearly directed towards her.  False Trottingham accent, sarcastic tone of voice, male.

She automatically began the first stages of a crystallize spell. 

She swiveled towards the voice. Muscles tense, legs slightly bent-ready to spring.  Head down, perfect aim.

And she went face-to-face with a newspaper. She blinked.

A celebrity in these midsts? Well I must ask for an autograph.

That voice.  She recognized it from somewhere...Discord.  She frowned at his words, grumbling, "Why hello Discord.  What do you want?"

She had heard more than one story about this Chaotic creature from Twilight, and the stories weren't exactly...well, they didn't shower him in a particularly good light.  

I mean, he only tried to turn Ponyville into the Chaos capital of the world, manipulated the Elements of Harmony, and turned Sweet Apple Acres into an ice rink.  But her mind quickly shifted, recalling all of her own past mistakes.  Lesson is, I'm not one to judge.  If anything, I've made as many mistakes as he had.  I shouldn't look upon him like an invalid. 

"You're not somepony I'd see coming to a library.  To read."

Discord smiled widely when the mare greeted him, though it deemed more like she was distressed by him. Who could blame her? His entrance was overdid and his presence full of theatrics. He got a kick out of playing up his role. He knew the position he had and just how powerful he was. His paw was rest up under his chin, palm down. His oft paw pads were quite large, pulling view from the large sheaths that hid those deadly claws. His lips had curled back in amusement, cheek pinching his eye up. The discordant pupils locked onto Glimmer as he laid himself put in the air, unaffected by the burden of gravity. Those dark, mismatched pupils were partially hidden behind those darkened, heavy lids, just making faces at the mare. He kept up his little act. Perverse, really, his sense of comedy. To present such a face to Glimmer.

She all but ground out her distaste for his peculiar timing in the library. “Oh darling puh-lease. I consume knowledge. Nothing like a salad of words.” he smirked, his little book tower vanishing as he landed on his hind legs.

As he spoke that particular line of thought a bowl manifested over him, full of paper. A thick tome that read: The Epic of Gilgamesh, with a bag of loose carrots adding to the bowl, slices of tomato being plunked in. The fork gave it a bit of a toss, splattering some, making a wee bit of a mess before vanishing. He tossed the paper at Glimmer and moved towards the door to pick up his egg. Well it looked more a large ostrich egg as he held it in his paw. Wasn't it smaller a moment ago? Were she honest with herself… did it matter when it came to him?

Such a scathing tone. And here I thought we were friends.” he used his fur covered manticore paw to shine the egg. “At least by extension of Twilight.” he inspected his effort to shine it. “I did discover something quite interesting…” he paused in his speech as he manifested a wicker basket and place the egg. “You've been her student… how long? And yet we've never been formally introduced.” Which he found quite offensive.

So what that he knew, and nosed around under his own effort. The point was he did not want to make the effort. If you come over to a friend's house and not being introduced to their company. Oh he had an interesting game for her today. The male poofed out of sight, only to reappear in the library,  behind the doors. The egg in a basket would be moved to try and set itself, balanced, upon Glimmer’s head. The crystalline doors would burst wide open, confetti and multicolored balloons raining down as party horns blew. Discord sat perched upon a crystal throne with knickknacks hanging from it. Branches with ribbons tied off it, curling vines, and solid black thorns. A banner was strung across the room with his name in six different fonts and eight different colors, even though his name only had seven letters… peculiar.

You know I've asked them to get me a throne for that table of theirs, but they are always so resistant to the idea. Do you think it's gaudy?” he chuckled. “So Starlight Glimmer. If you haven't heard, I am currently undergoing reformation. That means I have to do community service. As trite and boring as it can be, I believe, today, I have something to offer you. A one time deal!” he jumped from his seat, the throne and all the clutter in general removed from the current plane of existence, moved to another for a later time. “As a fellow villain former, I have something to offer you.” Discord really didn't pull any punches when he wanted to play. He did have something to gain from all this, after all.

He hadn't any community services to offer, just a ploy to get in, manipulate the masses. He was still a god of chaos and believing he would without all his chaos, was a fool's errand. Even Celestial knew better. Chaos was simply a different way to create magic and view one's choices and circumstances. Besides, he could have a bit of fun with such a powerful unicorn~!

Archived