Scary Tales with an Evil Enchantress (Open)

Lux

small.580a4d56d0526_ZecoraasanEvilEnchan

A thick green fog rolled across a hill near Ponyville. Soon a figure emerged dressed in a black robe with a black pointy hat. Although a convincing costume, one could tell it was Zecora. The Zebra at first didn't know what to dress as for Nightmare Night, but then she remembered how many ponies referred to her as an Evil Enchantress. So with some green makeup and the right clothes, Zecora looked like a wicked witch from a pony tale! 

"Gather around all who dare, for tonight I have a creepy story to share! And if you are lucky to survive my tale of woe, then perhaps you can continue this little show. For if you have a scary tale to tell, then hope you will share it as well!"

Spoiler

This will be a fun thread where anypony participating can listen to a story by Zecora and then if they want can tell a story. 

Starry smirked.  

"It's just some stupid festival, why the world do I have to participate?"

Of course, coming here hadn't been her choice-but she had become acquaintances with a rather nice DJ...and their first hang-out would apparently take place in a festival.  

On Nightmare Night.  Just my luck~

She set off her usual spell-a little bit of 'x-ray vision', one could call it for Nightmare purposes.  She saw all sorts of strangely dressed ponies...their costumes representing the most odd and extreme.  Her friend had danced off to chatter with some other DJ, and Starry had been instructed to "hang around and chill".  Whatever that means~

Grumbling, she began to walk.  With each spell cast, her vision became fainter and fainter.  Stupid smoke.  Stupid Nightmare Night.  Stupid 'new friends'.  

With a pout on her lips, she continued walking...and walking...right into another pony.

"Ow!  Would you watch where you're going?"

The Zebra waited for ponies to show up, hiding in the still present green fog on the hill. It was then she saw a figure approaching, complimented by random bursts of magic. It was hard to tell who this pony was or where exactly they were in the fog. It was then that she lost the figure, only to suddenly feel somepony bump into her! Putting a stop to the fog, she looked to see a unicorn wearing sunglasses. 

"Ow!  Would you watch where you're going?"

"Well with what I could see, it was you who bumped into me. I must apologize as the fog I created did cloud your eyes. My name is Zecora by the way, and after bumping into me are you ok?"  

"Well with what I could see, it was you who bumped into me. I must apologize as the fog I created did cloud your eyes. My name is Zecora by the way, and after bumping into me are you ok?"  

Starry grumbled some inaudible response.  The look of hatred and contempt for the entire situation was sprawled clear on her face, "Uh, whatever~"

"It's not like I even want to be here anyways.  Stupid friends.  Stupid ponies.  Stupid Nightmare Night," she kicked at some invisible rocks.  

I hate this.  Oh...I wish I were back in Canterlot.  Chillin' at home, reading that new book I borrowed...Ugh.

The Zebra could see that the filly was upset about something. She clearly was showing her disdain for practically everypony and even Nightmare Night itself! Perhaps she didn't want to be here but was brought along by a friend or group of friends. 

"Your remarks of dislike ring very true. May I ask what it is about this night that troubles you? I find that it is best, when somepony gets their troubles off their chest."

She sighed, before plopping herself down.  I guess there's no way for me to get outta this...

"All I wanted was a good, chill night to spend with my new friend Nightingale.  I didn't ask to be taken all the way out to Ponyville.  I didn't ask to be brought into some stupid festival.  I didn't ask for Nightmare Night.  I just wanted to spend some time with her...,"

She grumbled, before sighing once again, "Ha.  And now I guess I'm being invited to listen to storytime?"

"Ah yes, a story is what I did intend, but before I do perhaps help I could lend. You wanted to see your friend but alone, like at a park or in your home. But she decided to take you here, and the closeness was gone much to your fear. My home is in the forest you see, away from the sight of many a pony. But one thing I learned is that it is no use when trying to be a recluse. Perhaps what this night for you and your friend was about was this Nightingale's way to help you get out. Or maybe she wanted to do something she liked and wanted to share it with you. Did your friend know what you wanted to do and how you didn't want to Nightmare Night go?" 

She turned her head away, and a wash of shame fell over.  I guess I shouldn't have been so selfish...Nightingale had talked about this festival since the day we first met.  It was very obvious she wanted to bring me, and that this was a very special event to her.  And it was very nice of her to pay for everything...I'm used to just thinking about me and Canterlite protocals, I guess I forgot about the pony who took the time to share this occasion with me.

"I guess...I didn't tell her.  I just came along grumbling and sighing.  I-I...," She paused, before narrowing her eyes and composing herself.  You might have made a mistake Starry, but that doesn't justify any need to fall apart.  You are Starry Requiem, and you are strong.

"I made a mistake.  But I do believe I shall enjoy the event now.  What's this story you're telling?  I think I've just developed a taste for storytime,"

Zecora watched as the truth washed over the filly.

"I made a mistake.  But I do believe I shall enjoy the event now.  What's this story you're telling?  I think I've just developed a taste for storytime,"

"I'm glad that you now know, the mistakes you made and now where to go. Without friends and family you see our life would be sad and very empty. And now that I mentioned the power of friends and family,  onto the story!" 

"Gather around and you will hear how you got your fears. By the light of the glowing moon listen to the tale of Nightmare Moon."

With that the zebra took from her saddlebag a hoof-full of greenish dust and blew on it, creating a cloud of mist in the air.

"A long, long time ago something happened you should know. A creature of darkness covered the land in night, bringing with it a terrible fright. It was only with Princess Celestia's might that banished the creature and brought back the light. But even in this world today there are still some ponies who will say that on this night of this year, Nightmare Moon will return to bring more fear!"

The green haze morphed into a fearsome image of Nightmare Moon flying low in the sky as if to search for ponies.

"On Nightmare Night we wear a disguise to hide from Nightmare moon's searching eyes."

The Nightmare Moon image hovered over the group searching Starry.

"Because Nightmare Moon longs for something deep in her soul: to take the ponies and swallow them whole! This night she searches in the sky, and if no pony she sees the creature will pass by. So if you dress up for this night in the year, the dark one will pass and all will be clear."

"And so the tale of Nightmare Moon comes to an end. But of Nightmare Moon you must not offend. If you give a treat, like perhaps something sweet, that a pony such as you will not eat!"

The image of Nightmare Moon returned from the sky, coming right towards the foals present. It then dissolved back into green mist, inches after "eating" Starry. Zecora watched to see how the ponies would react to giving of their candy.

Spoiler

I feel very nostalgic. The text I used for the story of Nightmare Moon (edited a little for this thread), comes from my very first thread as Zecora on October 31, 2013 called The Legend of Nightmare Moon. This was by far one of the best, and complex, threads I've done as Zecora, and I'm happy to present it again!

Archived