That One Question (Private)

Ciraxis

"This...this was the most fun I had since.....well, since World Expo." Squall admitted, as he walked side by side with his love. Now that Costume Contest was over, noblepony foregone from wearing the helm part of his costume instead carrying it on his back.

"And the competition was really strong this year. Didn't stepped my game enough. You dressed as a ghost but had the most life in your performance. Then again, I don't mind losing to the prettiest mare on this side of the planet. "

It was true. While he entered with a specific goal of calming the victory, Swift was positively beaming since it was revealed it was Fire who was the victor.

"So what do you say Dear? Maybe we should team-up next year and leave everypony in dust. Image all that slacked jaws after our joint performance... " he said before giving crimson mare a peck on  the cheek.

"It's....so nice to relax once in a while." he confessed moments later. Indeed Squall looked much healthier then in the last few weeks. He found out dependable (if kept on short leash for now) managers to run the companies he established, EPIC didn't called him on any missions recently since the one in Neighpon and there wasn't any sort of crisis that would demand his attention. So for the time he was allowed to spent time with his marefriend, family and friends.

"Well now the contest is over, is there anything else you want to do Moto? The night still young after all. And maybe after it we can slip on some short vacation...." swordpony already started to trail off, making plans as he so often tended to do. "Maybe Long Guo? Of all places I visited, it wasn't one of them. It would be refreshing to see new places...."

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fire Walker trotted along side with her colt-friend as they slowly made their way through the small open marketplace that had until recently been selling special, seasonable Nightmare Night treats. With the festivities officially over, the assorted tents and booths were all closed. And most ponies had retreated back to their homes.  As they slowly cantered along, her prize-winning ‘ghost’ costume continued to operate. Every so often, her body would vanish, making it appear that her ghastly garb was floating. They had just encountered the mare’s little sister Wind Walker and her good friend Bebop Slide. The two fillies spent part of the night at Filthy Rich’s house, where he hosted a elaborate Nightmare Night party.  Wind swore that a strange dragon stuffed her into one of her candy bags, but was able to free herself from her cloth-prison. This frightful beast then ran away after the blue Pegasus pony proved she would not be an easy target.  Fire wished she had seen this dragon for herself. Was it a costume, or was the owner of ‘Rich's Barnyard Bargains’ able to hire a real life dragon to spook his guests? The pair ended up with the remaining prize candy before they shuffled back to their respective homes.

"One of these days I'm going to have to watch the movie that inspired you and those two kids.", the mare mused, "I wonder if my parents named brother Sky after one of the characters, or it was just a coincidence? I doubt it since my father usually prefers mystery or war movies, and move loves her chick-flicks." She smiled as the stallion praised her performance, "Not sure I would have been able to preform in front of so many ponies without a drink." She snagged an 'Morgue-A-Rita' from one of the booths, which was just enough 'liquid encouragement' that she needed.

"Yeah, we should team up for the next one." Fire Walker added, "And thanks for the compliment...As for a vacation.", she pretended to ponder this question, but it was very obvious where she wanted to go. "With the weather starting to get chilly, we should probably pop over to the Gallopocous Islands. Shavetail and Ilinalta, two friends of mine in the R.E.A just got back from there a few weeks ago and could not stop raving about the place." She actually spent a moment to actually think about the stallion's suggestion, " Long Guo would be interesting as well." she had recently encountered a few Qilin, one of the many races that inhabited the ancient kingdom. They looked rather unique. Almost if somepony tossed a pony, a deer, and a dragon into a blender.

She really enjoyed their little walk together. The sky was clear and the weather had a slight chill to it, but not enough to be really cold, just cozy. "I'm up for anyplace you want to go. We'll just need to find the right time to go...Thankfully, I have a week of vacation days I need to use up before the year ends."

"You know Love, for somepony who spent so much more time in Equestria then me, you really out of touch with pop culture sometimes." Squall said playfully.

"Then again I am...what they call it? 'Rich Idiot With No Day Job'? If they ever knew...." he sighed. While he preffered to keep most things he did from the public, sometimes he wished he didn't.

"And who knows? True, maybe they just followed the...errr....'theme', but you may leave you astonished. My pa and ma surprise me all the time, and so does granddad." noblepony scrunched his face as he remembered something. "Also I kind of remember this show where main character is named 'Walker'. Maybe your parents are fans of it? Why don't you ask them? But back to the hidden depths. For example, you know the beach game 'Topple The Flag'? Well as it turned out one day, my dad is very good at it. Very,very, VERY good. As in 'two meters tower, thinner then my leg' good. Honestly, I am surprised that's not his Cutie Mark."

Swift expression became somewhat displeased when Fire mentioned her method of 'encouraging' herself.

"Sweetheart, you drinking way too much recently." he scolded her in serious tone. Squall remembered clearly when she overestimated her tolerance during last Grand Galloping Galla and that she was vising Squallcoast Manor's cellar quite a few times. "Moto does......something bothering you? Is it about your job?" his reprimanding tone quickly shifted to that of the worried coltfriend. He remebered that back when she was depressed, she tended to gaze into bottle more the usually.

Wanting to shift her mind from potential unhappy thoughts, Swift tarted to reminiscent about his experiences with Gallopocous.

"You know I been on Islands too. Quite a few times actually, although that always were job related. Back when I was....you know." he  mumbled.

"Quite a varied place actually. For example, did you know that Thunderhooves Island is high enough to have glaciers? They even have ski-resort there! I also had a sword duel on  Mt. Fire Foal once....but that's a long story." Squall said while gazing at his marefriend. Only now he realized how little protection from cold Fire's consume granted. This was middle of fall after all! Without a word he detached the long cape from his own garb, before wrapping it around crimson mare shoulders.

• 2 weeks later...

“Ehhhh.”, she shrugged her shoulders, “Can’t remember the last time I saw a movie, as in recently.”, she glanced up at the peaceful, night sky, “I did catch a few when I was in high school, and the guys usually preferred war movies. Oh, and I took Wind to see a Whinny movie a few years ago. Never cared for those either as they tend to take an old story and water the heck out of it.", she paused to adjust her costume, "And also take some of the more interesting bits out to cater to a very young audience. And Zelda..ho-boy.", she groaned, "She's like a sister to me, but sweet Celestia, you take her to a movie and she will pick it apart once the characters start bouncing around in armor. She'll pick the flick apart.", the red Pegasus pony adjusted her voice to make the blacksmith's, "They possible could not have double-steel Gorgets! They were fist designed by Steelbeak Ironclad almost a decade later."

Fire Walker nodded her head as the stallion spoke of his parents, "Sounds like something we did while training. I had to play two versions of it, one in the sky and one on the ground. Still preordered Hoofball. You'd love the looks on opposing teams when they discover a Pegasus could hit like an earth pony while in the air." She smirked as he mentioned his father's cutie mark, "It's a good thing ponies have their marks before they start enjoying the wonderful benefits of puberty, or I could only imagine my parents wouldn't end up with a hat and book cutie marks considering all the kids they had..Or imagine what a pony who wanted to become an gynecologist would end up with?"

"Erm." This was obviously a very touchy subject for her. Drinking. "Honestly, I do drink probably a little more than I should, but I can say I'm a social drinker and I never touch the stuff during my work-weeks and it helps me to loosen up a bit when I'm with you.", she sighed, "It shakes away the very serious, no-nonsense First Lieutenant Fire Walker and gives you the bouncy little party horse you see here.", she did a little wiggle to emphasize her point. "And vacations..If you wish to pick the place, I just beg of you...Please no cold places.", she acted out a plea, "Soon, we're going to be up to our flanks in snow, and while I do like the weather come Hearth's Warming....I know they got me over in the Crystal Empire for a good two weeks and we need to do a bit of extreme weather training.", the mare's smile shifted into a frown, "Not that long ago, as you probably heard, the Kingdom lost its protective barrier and ponies freaked as we tend to do, but the guard didn't look so hot, so I'm going to help train these guys how to better handle themselves in such hostile weather and I won't be a able to wear my fancy armor that keeps me comfortable either. So..maybe somewhere warm?"

"We all have been busy lately....Duty comes first before....you know..." Squall noted when Fire admitted that she wasn't familiar recent screenplays. And to be honest neither was he. When not wielding his blade in faraway corners of the world, taking care of his companies and city or spending time with his sweetheart, Squall was reading. Reading, reading,reading. Scouring ancient scrolls and dusty volumes to find something, anything that could gain then advantage over the nefarious WRAITH. There was simply no time left for something like a movie.

"Please tell me she did not enjoyed it..." he said completely deadpan. Out of touch he can be, Squall could still recognize piece of rubbish when he was near one. Two wasted hours of his life that he could spent on doing something productive.

"Huh...I didn't saw that side of her yet." he mused when Fire mentioned Zelda "It's probably for better that she didn't seen some stuff I had to do when rocking the plate. Then again she would probably dismiss it with 'Magic' I think."

Then his love shared some of her experiences from training. It didn't really sounded familiar...

"I....I believe we aren't thinking about the same thing right now." Swift mumbled. What he and his pops called 'Topple The Flag' wasn't a team game at all. Oh well, he will have plenty of occasions to show Fire during their vacation. "Well it's Gallopocous then." he decided, unintentionally speaking aloud.

Fire's innocent (and amusing) remark about Cutie Marks made noblepony go into unexpected rant about the subject.

"Cutie Marks are only an indicators of what you most talented at. Nothing more, nothing less." Squall said with conviction. "Saying that you are fated to act on them is admitting that you are afraid of taking responsibility for your choices. Look at mine, one that shows my skill at sword fighting. True I spilled blood with a blade many times, but never it was because of the Mark. The Mark never drew the sword for me, I did, and I will never say otherwise."

"Fire...but why would need to 'shake it of' ?" he asked "It's true I love my party pony girl...." Squall continued before planting a kiss on her temple "But I also love Fire the Serious Lieutenant." kiss on the cheek "Fire the Cool Big Sister" kiss on the ear "Fire the Adventurer, Fire the Silly Pony. Fire Who Looks Great in Ponydex" each time he said her name was followed with yet another kiss. "I love all of those Fire's because I love Fire as whole. Big and small things of her, good and small, those which she's proud of, and that bit's she's not. She doesn't need liquid courage because her Squall loves her z\all the time and everywhere. And she knows this...right?" Swift 'asked' while giving her look to the brim filled with affection and devotion.

• 2 weeks later...

“And the R.E.A. is pretty good at working out a decent schedule.”, Fire Walker added, “I’ll get a few ‘eh’ jobs and then they’ll throw something fun at me, like a little mission with say Princess Twilight, or Princess Luna.”, the red mare could not help but smile, “Not that long ago, I acted as a guide for a foreign dignitary. Showed her a few things not on the usual Canterlot guide books. Gal had fun and the next day she was in a much better than the day she had arrived. It was amazing. She was so stuffy and quiet when we first met, but after a few hours at the ‘Wild Stallion Club’ she revealed herself to be a bit of a party-mare.”

The young officer must have missed something, “Er, You mean Wind?”, she snorted, “You ask her, and she will call it ‘baby stuff’, but she loves those Whinny movies. Even got the parents to take her to the ‘Whinny World’ park after the school break. She took her little colt-friend with her and they had a blast. And Zelda? She was on that little mission when you were decked out in your special amour....But she told me she was more interested in spending some ‘alone time’ with that lady dragon than the mission itself. Never told me if she had succeeded.”

Her smile grew even larger when it was decided they would go where she wanted, “Thanks.”, she gave him at first was a cute little nip on the cheek, but when she noticed there wasn’t anyone watching, she slipped from his cheek to his mouth. A moment later, she leaned back, “Oh, and along with the usual spots, I heard there are some really cool old ruins in the Gallopocous Islands that are worth checking out. Old pirate lairs and even an former insane colony that's supposed to be really creepy at night."

"As for our markings, It's all rather subjective. Look at mine", she waggled her flank at the unicorn, "It's a falling rock. A meteorite.", she returned back to her previous position, "I got it after I conquered a bunch of rather tough pre-academy tests. I was told it symbolized my strength and speed during those tests, but I always wondered if there was something more to this." She kept quiet as Swift returned a few little kisses and answered his question with, "Oh yeah, you know I do." She then gave him a look that silently suggested that they find a more secluded spot...

mPzCC9x.png

Spoiler

OOC: Originally Fire Walker's CM was supposed to be a flaming cannon shooting fireballs but the powers that be thought a cannon was er, non canon. This was before pirates showed up in the comics or Pinkie started carrying her own personal party cannon..

• 1 month later...

"Whinny World? There is a theme park for that thing? Gosh, I feel old." Squall mumbled.

"You know, I remember Zelda giving her looks...but I thought it was just curiosity. Didn't knew that she swings both ways." noblepony expressed a genuine surprise.

"Pirate lairs huh?" he mused when Fire mentioned some 'attractions' of Gallopocous. Somehow he doubted that most of tourist on the islands took use of those...features. "This sure brings back memories. It almost feels like it was another lifetime ago." Squall confessed as his mind wondered to days when he hunted pirates...among other things.

"Well....I guess it fits. After all meteorites ARE spectacular. Just...well, just like you."

Squall smiled when Fire gave him that kind of gaze. However it wasn't yet a time for that.

"Moto, I have to show you something." noblepony said before leading the way. It soon became clear that whatever Swift wanted to present was beyond towns parameters.

No less then a dozen of minutes later the pair found themselves climbing a small hill - with one lonely tree growing on the very top.

And upon reaching the summit...

A sea of stars. Above and below, reflected in the Great Nimbus Lakes, stretching the beautiful imagine beyond and beyond that there was no way to grasp it with normal sight.

"Beautiful isn't it? Well not as much as certain mare I know...but enough." Squall said. "And yet...many take such wonders as granted." he added before falling silent for a minute. Then he picked up a nearby stick and started to draw in the ground.

"If there is a thing I learned from the following months, it's not to take anything as granted, to ask questions. Our nation is most prosperous of all, and yet I never before considered to ask, 'Why'? And that just the first of many. To find answers for that an many other, one can not rely simply on teaching from his or her homeland. I instinctively knew it when I was young and just begun my travels. But as I became more and more sour I forgot that. It took me a long while to remember, and there are so many I have to thank for that. You, Blue, Dunder, Spring, Flux, Bevel, Prestzy and many others...." Swift mused while continuing the drawing. Now it was clear that it was actually a world map. A pretty accurate one too.

"To find answers for what we seek, it is important to draw wisdom from many different places. When we take wisdom from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale. Only by understanding others, the other nation, and the other species we can become whole. Avarice, sloth, envy, hubris....those among other things are the results that comes when we rely only on ourselves for too long and submit to ignorance. Only recently nations started to see that yes, we can stand on our own...but not necessary alone." noblepony summed up before putting the stick down.

"I think that this means that I will have to start travelling again. Not as long as when I was a sellsword, now that  have home to return to. But if I have improve Fillydelphia....Equestria, I need to draw the wisdom the our homeland does not have. To understand how to best answer those how's and why's."

Squall paused for a moment, but when he begun speaking again there was different, more fiery spark in his eyes.

"That said....There is that one question that I have a feeling I will find answer today."

• 2 weeks later...

"Yep. Theme park. Movies. I went there when I was a filly. The dang ghosts that 'pop' out of their graves scared me silly back then.", Fire Walker shivered, "As for Zelda, she's a gal that finds beauty in everything, or at least that's what she told me, but I can see why she believes in that, being an artist and all.  Just not sure.", she pushed her two front hooves together, "How comfortable it would have been for her..Considering dragons are covered in those thick scales..and the...erm...And while I find dragons to something to see, I'll stick to fuzzier mates for me. Mostly the handsome unicorn-y, orange variety." She gave the stallion a sweet little nuzzle as she spoke.

"And pirates." There was also a pirates themed ride in Whinny World that she was rather keen of. "I'm thinking of them before they became a rather tired cliché. Now they're just robbers who just happen to own a boat." The pirates Muggo', Dunder and Fire had some sense of honor, but they were still thieves. Thankfully for the pirates, they no longer hang their king like they used to. No more giblets. They instead went to the same prisons as everyone else."

"Dwaah.", she swooned after the compliment. He wanted to show her something? Oh-oh. This involved taking her somewhere. Double oh-oh.

The usually chatty mare kept quiet during their little trip. She did feel a little silly cantering about in her Nightmare Night costume in the middle of the night. Thankfully, there weren't many ponies out this late, and those who saw them paid them little attention. A 'triple oh-oh' sounded off in her mind as this was a very romantic spot to be at. It did not take long before he started into a speech. He obviously spent a good deal of time with it.  Curious, where he was going with this, she kept quiet a little longer...Until he finished.

"And what would that question be?", she asked, already very sure she knew what it was...

Squall couldn't say anything at first. He just looked into her eyes and understood immediately. He should have guessed, only she could understand him so completely.

"Clever girl." unicorn said - his voice faltering - as he extended his hoof to stroke her face. "Y-you already know." he added. Only now she could see that his eye were wet, but at the same time he was smiling, practically glowing.

"S-since we meet, everything become so much brighter. By simply being there you brought back parts of me I doubted that are still there anymore. A-an-and that just was the very s-start! C-can you i-imagine that?" he continued, with tears falling to the ground. Swift didn't care. If it was Fire then he could show her everything.

"S-sorry sweetheart. I-I just waited so long for this. It's....it's hard...the right words...." noblepony apologized while sniffling. He really could use a tissue.

"W-what I want to say.....is that I-I want you to be in my life. Always." he added before reaching with his magic underneath the cape of the costume he was wearing. Reaching for a velvet box that he now opened before a crimson mare. Box that he was carrying for MONTHS...waiting for the right moment. And inside the box.... a beautiful platinum bracelet encrusted with emeralds and rubies. An engagement bracelet.

Squall took a deep breath to calm himself, and then asked the most important question in his life.

"First Lieutenant of Royal Equestrian Army, Fire Walker.....will you marry me?"

mPzCC9x.png

Oh-Oh. The stallion’s normally calm and collective voice started to sound a good deal like little Fast Track after he endured a round of kisses from the fillies. He was sweating and he was stuttering. There were also tears. Oh dear. She could feel them as they mixed with her own that were now flowing freely. Oh, Sweet Celestia, she was happy nopony could see them. Standing near a tree in their silly Nightmare Night costumes, crying like a couple of foals. “You helped me out of a dark place as well, Swift.”, she managed to whisper as she felt the remains of her ‘spooky’ makeup as it ran down her face. Wait...Was it raining?

Fire Walker glanced up into the sky. There was a light, but steady stream of rain. Thankfully, it was only raining. Where did those clouds even come from? Considering where they stood, it probably wouldn’t be the safest place to be standing if they started to get a few bolts in the sky. She bit her bottom lip as he reached into his costume. She always liked to remind herself that she would be with Swift even if he were the poorest pony in Equestria. But zounds, that was beautiful. She also wondered when he had that bracelet made and who made it? Knowing the unicorn, he probably had one of the best make it for him. Hoofuccellati.....The famous Griffon-Graff....Mareimoto? Whoever made it, she could easily say, it was probably one of the prettiest things she had ever seen.

Fire Walker always assumed she would blurt out something terribly clever that would be forever quoted by equally clever ponies when it came time to accept a marriage proposal. She even spent a few hours as a teenager, coming up with the best responses in her 'dream' notebook. All very flowerily. And she later ended up giving her brother Cordy a good whooping after she caught him with her notebook reading it out-loud to the laugher of her other brothers. She later felt bad, but not too bad. If only she could remember any of those so-called 'clever' responses.

"Yes....sweet Luna....Yes!", she quickly embraced the soaking stallion. Maybe they should find a slightly dryer place for this...

"Yes?YES!" Squall said first in disbelief in his own luck, and then overwhelmed with joy. Unicorn took his future and spun around with her, laughing with happiness."YES!" he screamed into the air, the usually stoic stallion unable to contain his euphoria.

"T-this...this is wonderful." he said, still chocking on his words. After returning the crimson mare to the ground, he gently lifted one of her legs up. With a gaze of infinite affection noblepony clasped the bangle around her limb.

"And still far less pretty then the wearer." he commented before wrapping his foreleg around her neck, and gently pulling the crimson mare into a kiss. A long, passionate kiss that took the breath out of both of them.

"Sorry, but when I look at you Moto I can't resist. I want to kiss you over and over. That, and I figured out we may start practicing." Swift explained while regaining his composure.

"Alright, take two." he move forward to do it again, but at this moment a roar of thunder rolled across the sky.

".....on the second though maybe inside the inn would be better suited for this training." swordpony wisely opted to postpone their 'practice'.

Along the way back to the town, Squall took of the cape of his costume, and wrapped it around his fiancée, to protect her from steadily increasing downpour.

"So...." he started "Who you going to tell first?" stallion asked,with a mischievous smile.

• 2 weeks later...

“Well, yeah. Did you think I would ever say.....yeeep!”, the slightly soggy mare let out an yelp as the unicorn’s magic lifted her off her hooves. Being a Pegasus, she was not afraid of heights. She was however, full of random Nightmare Night candy and and a few festive holiday beverages. Both adult and not. Thankfully, he only managed to spin her around a few times. There would be no repeat from the time she tried her luck at the Wonderbolt's obstacle course. How the dreaded ‘Dizzitron’ could be considered ‘training gear’ as opposed to ‘torture’ was behind the mare.

She sighed blissfully as the bangle was placed on her front leg. "I dunno Swift. I think it would be safe to call this a tie.", her eyes seemed to grow a little bigger as she studied the fine bit of jewelry. She happily took in the stallion's kiss and slowly added a little something special to the mix. While she was a trained solider, the gal sure could give off a smooch. "Yeah. Let's get going", her eyes fell upon the sky. This was the third year in a row her Nightmare Night costume had been ruined. Thankfully this was not because she had to face a zillion Changelings in mortal combat.

As they slowly made their way back, discussion had begun on who they would tell first. "Considering that we're in Ponyville, I'll have to tell the folks first.", she added, "There's this little place that does an mean buffet and has a great view of the castle, and we were invited to attend.", Fire Walker continued, "It's just going to be mom, dad and Wind. Say.", she turned to the unicorn, "I still have yet to meet your parents. We're going to have to schedule a double-date." She bit her bottom lip as they made their way towards dry land. Would his parents approve of a lowly officer? Maybe they believed he deserved a princess!

• 1 month later...

"Jewels are pretty only on the outside." Squall said "As such you can't by any means, call this a tie. There was no chance for this to be a contest in first place, Love." noblepony assured. "No jewel in this or the other world has a chance when compared against you."

Squall nodded when Fire explained her plan for informing her family.

"Yes this makes sense. Although you should inform rest of your siblings afterwards. We better go and buy more paper and ink to do so, after we will finish visiting your parents. The supplies I carry around are running low. Honestly, running Tempest Corp. is so much of a hassle sometimes." he grumbled. Squall newly founded business was eating much of his time. For this reason he wasn't available for some recent EPIC missions, although swordpony promised to change that soon.

"Double-date huh?" noblepony mused, but he shook his head a second later. "As much as I would like to fulfill your wish, it's too late for that. Two days are simply not enough time to re-schedule things." Squall informed. Did he just said what he said?!

As any good fiancé, Swift noticed his love uncertainty immediately.

"If you are worried Moto, you shouldn't be. Do you really think, a pair that painted their house like that - in a world's most global city I should add - would take issues with anything?"

Squall pointed out. After all, the color shame of the mentioned residence could only be described as 'Exploding Crayola Factory'.

• 2 weeks later...

“Well.”, the mare paused, ‘Wind Walker is going to be there, so it’s going to be hard to drop the announcement without her hearing it..Unless we wait till she needs to use the restroom. Also.”, she stopped once more as she tried to figure out the right way to say something. “I’m the first mare in the family to be married with Cordy and Speed being stallions...”, she stammered, “Father is going to ask if you can schedule a duel with him. He’ll probably use ‘whiffle-swords’ or something silly like that.”, she added, “Dad liked to tell us that he could learn more about a pony from a short bout than he could if he spent the whole day chatting with one. And while you’ll be slapping each other with fake swords, please take this seriously. He also might ask you a few questions, depending on how you block a strike or how you return a blow.”, a smile returned to her face, “It’s something apparently fathers like to do...Not all requests are the same..Thankfully the old Major has toned down his need to be overprotective when it comes to his daughters.” Her first colt-friend, Player One received a major whooping when he tried a few sneaky moves on the old stallion and that was for a simple ‘first meeting’.

As for the double-date, Fire Walker took a moment to get his meaning, “Oh, I don’t mean tomorrow, but sometime before the wedding. I’m sure we can figure out a date that we’ll all be available for. “ a few things bounced around in her mind for a few seconds, “I have a few weekends off..And there are a few days of training I need to do, and there’s the little job I have with Lady Applejack. Apparently Princess Twilight had a few good things to say about me after I aided her last month. As for your parents...I know my parents are already rather weary when it comes to huge weddings...But would folks care if we have a simple ceremony?”

HlyxuU4.png

• 3 weeks later...

"I don't see why we should hide anything from my to be sister-in-law." Swift said cheerfuly. When Fire however mentioned how her father might want to 'Test-His-Might' the smile crept off his face.

"O-Oh......I..." he started "........I am not sure how I feel about this one." Squall explained while massaging his temple. "W-well at least I can say, that I already met your dad." he mused while staring at the road. "Gosh, I really have no idea how to approach this one." noblepony admitted.

"Oh. Thanks Harmony, that's a relief." unicorn said "I have to be in Germaney tomorrow evening. Apparently my employees found something that I have to see for myself. I am trying to Have 'Tempest' breach off into mining industry, and this thing pop up during one of test digs. But I should be free next Sunday. Can't vouch for dad however."

When the crimson mare mentioned the job awaiting her, Squall furrowed his eyebrows.

"One of the Champions? Take care with this one. We know that there are few that would be glad to have her....gone." noblepony said sombrely.

"Moto, I know it's not part of REA standardized equipment, but if you want to borrow some things from the Cave for this one...." Swift offered.

Swordpony could only smile at the Fire's question.

"Dear, my father is the largest Media Baron in the country. Our family holds one of the world five largest fortunes. Mom and Dad have houses in every major city in Equestria, and some beyond. Heck, Our house...." Squall said with emphasis, signalizing he was talking about Squallcoast Manor "...well Our house alone is over 49 000 square hooves of living space, and that's not counting pastures and underground. What I want to say Fire...." Swift paused to catch a breath.

"What I want to say that they would be relived to have something small, for once." he finished with a smirk.

• 2 weeks later...

“Eh.”, the mare shrugged, “It’s just like watching two really good dancers. Usually there’s more involved than just throwing your legs around and hoping one of your hooves hits the ground correctly.  A good dance tells a story.”, Fire Walker added, “He’s not dueling to actually hurt you.”, she reassured her husband soon to be. “You should see our family reunions. Nearly the whole lot of us have a proper and civilized duel. I’m getting better each event. So far, the only sibling that still whoop me is Cordy.”, her big brother was still the ‘fast one’ when it came to the blade. He held two extended punch-blades much like his sisters, but he still had the strength and experience. But she was catching up.

She nodded her head as she pulled out a small note-pad with one of her wings, “Make reservations at brunch place Sunday..”, she mumbled the date, “You’re not allergic to anything, are you?” had she asked him this question before?  “They make some of the best omelets in all of Equestria.” Ponyville had an cute little café run by ponies direct from Prance. Just like their little Ponyville spa, it was so odd to see such an classy establishment in the little farming community.  “I would avoid ordering the grits. While the staff, who mostly hail from Prance are incredible chefs, they have still yet to master Ponyville’s ‘country’ side-dish."

Somebody out there did not like Applejack?!

“Really?” This disturbed the mare a good deal. “Who in the world would want to see Lady Applejack disappear?” Other farmers? The pesky villains she and her friends have defeated over the years? People who hate happiness? “I’m just going with her for pleasant conversation as that gal has a kick like a storm. I’d hate to be the fool that tries to get between her and her little quest. She’d probably kick the very bones out from their body.”

She gave her stallion a good and proper hug, “Tiny little wedding.”, she gave him a kiss, “Great big honeymoon.”, she added with a grin.

USG3AI7.png?1

• 2 weeks later...

"Fire you don't have to tell that to me." Swift mused, "When you....when you follow the way of the sword, you are a dancer by default." he paused, pondering something.

"....I guess yours father's right. Some things can only be conveyed through battle."

"Heh, you have such a big family Dear. My bloodline may be older then Equestria, but look at us now. All two of us, three if you count my father through marriage. If we had any family traditions, then they were lost long ago." Swift mused, saddened somewhat by the thought.

Squall listened as his love recommend Ponyville omelets. The idea was good, but there was an error in it...

"But Moto, we won't be eating in Ponyville. And I am not sure if we will in Filly either. Well either there or Big Orange I believe. Dad is at time more busy then me if you can believe. He like to keep in touch with the staff of the titles he releases." he informed her.

"That said, I have to try those omelets next time I am here. But I bet they would taste even better in your company Sweetheart."

"......." Squall didn't said anything. For him it was quite easy to see who would wish for just that. "You know Dear this is another reason I love you. You simply unable to think in a wicked way. I guess you expelled the ability to do so from yourself by now." noblepony said with a smile. His expression turned more serious a moment later "She may be able to buck someone's head off, but having a strong kick won't help against the rain of crossbow bolts. Or deadly gas. Or....well, you get the idea Love." Swift said, "....Just promise me to be careful."

Despite how grim were his last words, noblepony couldn't help but smile when he received the smooch from Fire.

"Yeah..."  he agreed with serene smile on his face.

"Still....I would hate to exclude any of our friends."

• 2 weeks later...

“Yeah.”, the mare sighed, “You just happened to witness the tail end of an very old tradition. One that ponies in general have given up over the years, especially now that the world is a much safer place to be in, even with the occasion monster attack or evil god-thing attack.”, she added as she watched Luna’s moon, “Right after the Canterlot Castle was built, workers returned to their simple huts and started converting them into miniature fortresses of their own and they had to. Who knew if a horde of dragons or monsters were going to invade and no silly thatched roof cottage would be up to that challenge, and as families got bigger, so did their homes. Now things are different and ponies are free to live wherever they choose. No need to live, huddled behind stone walls anymore.” Ho-Boy. She was getting sleepy and when she got tired, she tended to ramble, “That’s something you saw with my family. We left Canterlot and now we’re all over the place.”

She was slightly upset that her plans were smooshed. Not angry upset, but slightly disappointed. “Oh.”, she gave him her best ‘frumpy’ face. “We will then just have to share schedules. I know father has something to do with this new ‘Dragon Lord’ business and mom will be out at a convention early next month...I do have a few things in the works beyond Lady Applejack and my usual training classes. I also managed to get talked into taking little Wind and her friends to Cloudsale to hit all the tourist-ie spots for some sort of field-trip. Still, we will find the right time and place.”

“I believe the worst we have to contend with will be hydras, stone-skinned alligators, timberwolves, cockatrices, all varations of the  parasprites crazy magic and possibly zomponies.  And maybe a flying bear of some kind, but it should all be a walk in the park for us.", she gave the stallion a smile, "And speaking of that, maybe we should get moving..I need a hot bath, and that tub was made for two!"

mPzCC9x.png

• 1 month later...

"........I see." Squall answered. Fire's explanation made him brood a little over his own place in the world. Come to think of it, he himself wasn't that different. A leftover from the past times, practitioner of evanescing art. Was that what he supposed to be? A reliquary for the skills that nopony else remembers? One that keeps the tradition going just in case the ability is needed again? Out of sudden, noblestallion felt like an outdated book.

Squall gritted his teeth in frustration. What possibly he....

Swift turned around and looked at Fire. Of course. She agreed to share a future with him, and he REFUSES to let her down.

"Traditions are born out of need. They endure, and then after becoming liability they are forgotten. Like those walls you mentioned. If my talent...if my talent and all history behind it has to be left behind, so be it. Our family won't become that of the living fossils." unicorn said with emphasis.

Swift eyebrows rose up when he heard crimson's mare disappointment "Wait you thought....?" he said, realizing how Fire interpenetrated his words. "No! nonononono! We ARE going to this double date with my parents - gosh this sounds so weird - but due to Dad's tight schedule it will have to be Manehattan." noblepony explained.

What Fire said next made Squall a little tense. "A Dragon Lord? As in, there is new one?" he asked. Between WRAITH, faking his death, traveling around and founding his corporation, the raise of the new Dragon Lord flew completely under his radar. "It's...never the good thing when dragons leadership changes. It's been a long time since I faced the last one of the scaled beast's. But if it has to be done...." Swift paused before glancing the sword leaning in the room's corner.

"Don't jinx it Swetheart, it's never a good idea to underestimate the threat." Swift said as Moto counted the various monsters that were known for plaguing the land "And besides, it's not the monsters we should be worried about. It's the malicious intent combined with genuine cunning that presents the real danger. Equestria saw relative peace for a millennium. But seeing the events of the recent years I dare to say the time of changes is coming. We already live in it." swordpony mused.

A glint flashed in Squalls eye's as Fire mentioned the tube.

"Oh yes, it would be so wasteful to not use the tub's full capabilities.....So Dear...shall we?"

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Oh that hits the spot." Swift murmured as he leaned against the wall. With all the steam raising up, even the tiles were warming up. Fire herself seemed equally content, cuddling with her stallion as he hugged her from behind.

"You know, it reminds me of that one job in Saddle Arabia. I took the bath in the oasis, after tracking my bounty across the desert for five days straight. It felt like best thing ever. Still not as good as this one though. It lacked the presence of cuties girl in the world." he said while kissing the pegasus mare's nape.

"And while we are at baths, I was thinking of building one in Neighponese style back in home. What do you think Beautiful?" Squall said, awaiting his fiancée opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

“Yep. Dragon Lord. And a new one.”, the red mare glanced down at her pitiful, formally award-winning costume. “The previous one is older than really anything. Maybe even Princess Celestia. Heard he faced the old heroes of past. And when I mean the old heroes, I mean really really old heroes.”, she added with a smirk, “Rockhoof, Flash Magnus and the others. And the old dragon is as big as a city. Don't even want to know how much food a guy like that needed, unless he even needs to eat anymore. But the guard wanted to be sure they didn't elect someone who was ignorant of our history together. The world is littered with the bones of monsters who thought we ponies were easy targets. Even with that, we are not in the mood to battle dragons again. They work much better as allies."

The hot bath really did hit the spot indeed!

Fire Walker let out an 'eep' as she was given a quick sneak-hug, which she quickly returned.

"Yeah. More hot and steamy baths for all, I guess.", she paused to fiddle about with her mane for a moment. With it all out and about, she would dread re-braiding it late. Maybe she could just be lazy and tie it into a ponytail?  "Just don't get those showers that had water jets on all sides. I heard dad used one in Las Pegasus. Nopony bothered to tell him that it was special, and when he turned the shower on, he managed to get a few gallons of hot h20 up the flank. Poor guy screamed like a little filly. I'm usually doing the whole shower thing, so a nice slow. Shame ponies look absoutely horrid when we soak for too long and the fur sticks to our skin and we look like magey cats. Thankfully, somepony was smart enough to invent the blow dryer."

• 1 month later...

"Maybe so......" Squall mused about possibilities of cooperation with great wyrms. "But there always will be a renegade ones. Dragon are stubborn creatures, ones that fall easily to their instincts. Even authority of the Dragon Lord may not be enough to control those...especially in first few years, before the new ruler will prove himself." noblepony pointed out.

"Well that's true...." Swift admitted when Fire mentioned that ponies and water didn't really mix. "After all. we don't have this special coats like our water-dwelling cousins. Although I know one crimson exception who looks great no matter what."  he purred while kissing his fiancée's ear. Meanwhile his magic combed her red strands.

"You know, you have such beautiful mane. It would be a shame to not let it loose more often." unicorn said while applying the shampoo. Washing was so much easier and fun when magic was involved!

"So....regarding the wedding. Aside from family who would you want to invite? The place? The date? Gosh, there are so many things we have to consider..."

"'Herself' actually.", the mare corrected, "I can only assume they don't call her a Dragon Lady as to be confused with the oddly dressed ladies in the east. But she's supposed to be the former Lord's daughter. She's young, but not as young as Master Spike in Ponyville.", she paused to let out a few pleasant sighs as the stallion worked on her mane, "Her father is as large as Princess Celestia and Luna's castle, while the new Lord is basically pony sized. She has a lot of growing to do." Legends spoke of a small band of ponies that were somehow able to defeat a younger Lord Torch. That must have been a sight to see.

"When I was in officer school, I actually cut my hair short. Mostly following the old rules, but I wanted a change from the floppy braid I usually had. Ooh.", she groaned as her poor ear was nimbled upon, "Water-dwelling cousins? Still remember that little festival we went to. Had that big tank with the sweet little meremare. Was supposed to be an little sport activity of some kind, but it was so hot and the water was so cool, we all just floated about. And for some reason you kept your clothes all on. Funny thing that was."

As their chat returned to the top of marriage, Fire Walker adopted a sort of serious look on her face. "To be honest. The more I think about it, the more I'm not sure of this being a small or large wedding. I'm the first mare of the Canterlot Walkers to be wed, and you're the only child on your side. We'll probably need to think more of our families. What do you think?"

oMHjodv.png?1

• 4 weeks later...

"Hmm I see." Squall mused when Fire corrected him about current Dragon Lord gender. "I had unpleasantness of running into two of those back when I was still in the business." Swift said. It appears that there were few things that didn't reminded the orange unicorn about his sellsword says.

"Young you say? Hmmm...this is worrying." Swift said in cogitative tone. "The passions of youth don't usually come with wisdom and patience. And the fact that she is a daughter of the previous Dragon Lord is very unusual....Let's hope that her efforts in emulating her father won't turn problematic."

"...It would be nice if we would interact more. I though for asome time now that ponies of earth and waters were....too much apart. Actually....well I have some plans in regards of Fillydelphia Bay when it comes to that. I already have technology and resources, but I am still looking for good enough architect. Or architects. What I have in mind may be too much for just one pony...Even if they did splendid job when it comes to Tempest Tower." noblepony said said, while mentioning name of the building he owned and build for his corporation.

Tempest Tower was the highest building in Strand. Probably the highest one in Equestria actually. While still unfinished, some of it's floors were already in use, including Squall's office at the top floor. The official opening date was less then month away, just after the massive shopping center at it's base will get the finishing touches. Another important event in Squall's already packed schedule.

"Well Dear....I was 'dead' back then and everypony was supposed to think so." orange stallion reminded his Love. At the same time his magic moved from styling and brushing Fire's mane, towards preening feathers of her wings while he keep speaking "Changing my colors and voice via enchanted bracelets was easy enough, faking Cuitie Mark requires more powerful stuff. Stuff that isn't very practical when hanging out with your marefriend in the middle of international event. So I...uhhh...left my clothes on." swordpony explained. "Maybe bit sill, but it was simpler."

"Well....'my side' isn't very big. There is Mom, Dad and Grandfather. Well I have an Uncle and Cousin as well but.....our family isn't really in speaking terms with them right now...." unicorn said quietly. "That and.....I don't think Dunder will accept the invitation....."

“Hopefully Master Spike’s influence will push the dragons to fully embrace civility and join our side.”, the mare added, “For such a cute little fellow, he’s incredibly clever. Could only imagine how impressive he will be as an adult. Power of an great dragon with the mind of a pony.” That almost sounded like a horror movie. She nodded silently as the stallion spoke of his business and his buildings. These were topics she was no more knowledgeable than the next pony. She preferred buildings that were appeasing to the eyes and were easy to find where you needed to go. Some of the R.E.A offices in Canterlot were probably designed by a minotaur as they were practically mazes!

“Looking for an architect? I would say to ask Zelda. Her family has been building pretty much anything for generations, but they tend to favor strength and long-lasting buildings over pretty ones, which was the direct opposite of what they did back in Griffonstone.  Guess it would be best just to stick with whoever helped you with Tempest Tower. Maybe they have others they know and may sometimes partner with, so not only will you have somepony that you have already trust and have a history with, and they in turn would have an team that has already worked together in the past. I think that makes sense.", Fire Walker could only grin back.

A small frown formed on her face as family was spoken about. "Maybe this would be a good reason why we really should have a proper , family wedding? They generally help renew and strengthen bonds.", she slowly moved back into a smile as the unicorn seemed to show a good deal of experience grooming an Pegasus pony. She silently pondered how he managed to get so good at it. "As for Dunder.", she sighed, "He might not accept the invention, but it would be a crime not to invite him considering he's the one who got us together in the first place and he's always been a good friend. I think....", she was cut short as her eyes fell upon a mirror, "Say Swift, how did you get so good at this?", she fluttered her eyes at the mare in the mirror. Looking good!

• 2 weeks later...

"I don't think it will happen within our lifetime." noblepony said "They say one individual can make a difference, but dragons are old species. Far more ancient then us, ponies. If they didn't change that much from the days of old, then it will take far more effort then one brilliant individual to make them abandon the chains that are their instincts." Squall mused about draconic civility.

"So she has carpenters in her ancestry...somehow I am not surprised." unicorn said in amusement, but one that was lacking malice. "Still, while I would normally appreciate practical approach over artistic one, this time I need something more....representative." Swift said. "While Tempest Tower may be super-tall , it's just another skyscraper. Meanwhile What I have in mind....is a building t6hat will connect bottom of the sea with the skies. And I have to yet run into someone with 'construct building from the bottom of the bay' in their resume."

Squall wrapped his fiancée in yet another hug.

"In the Filly, on the west side of Manebrush River the waters are not safe for sailing. Too many jagged rocks, and the currents there are treacherous .Those are the reasons why Filly doesn't have as robust port like Manehattan.....The unwanted western coast. So I bough it. And I will build the world first city district that extends from the sea. The one that would be of use for all five kinds of ponies....." he said, with his voice trailing off. "And the first one that will be built have to make a statement. One that would encourage seaponies to live closer to us. To live together...." Swift continued, his gaze getting a little glassy.

On 9.10.2017 at 11:42 PM, tacobob said:
A small frown formed on her face as family was spoken about. "Maybe this would be a good reason why we really should have a proper , family wedding? They generally help renew and strengthen bonds."

"This.....I didn't really know how to explain this. But you have so many siblings Moto.....I think you will understand....." Swift said. "This is about rift between my Uncle and my Mother. An ugly one at that. They haven't been speaking to each other for over twenty years. And I am not sure if I can do something to change that...."

"As for Dunder.", she sighed, "He might not accept the invention, but it would be a crime not to invite him considering he's the one who got us together in the first place and he's always been a good friend. I think....

"......He was. And I am grateful for that day I met him in the train.....but...." Swift paused ".....Nevermind...it's only my impression. If he is...nice...to you then I guess it's....fine."

Despite his words, it was clear that for Squall it was far from fine. Fire knew her stallion well enough that she could easily hear that his voice was lanced with guilt...and resentment.

"Say Swift, how did you get so good at this?", she fluttered her eyes at the mare in the mirror. Looking good!

"Weeeeeeell....I had world prettiest mare to practice on. And I had a very good look how she cleans herself before night. And I know every single feather on your wing." he said.

"I know that you always take a few more minutes to clear your scapulars. I know that when you clean your primaries you always use that comb with the topaz on the handle. I know about the soft sigh you make when I touch your alula...." unicorn said while doing just that. " And that your hind legs twitch when I groom feathers over your ulna due to how good it feels...." he whispered to her ear before planting a kiss on her neck.

"I know so much...because I want to know everything about you, my Moto...." Swift said in a husky voice.

Archived