That One Question (Private)

Ciraxis

The red mare could not help but grin. She did love to blather. And while her education began and ended with the R.E.A, she did consider herself a bit of a history buff. And when she was not hoofing through a few favorites, or proof-reading one of her mother’s books to be, she usually kept a few history books laying around as well. This gave her more things to blather about, and her favorite colt Swift was more than capable of blathering back at her. She still had hope in dragonkin. It might take a few generations, but they would probably eventually realize that it would be better to be at the side of Equestria than against it. They had tried taking on ponies in the past, and things did not work out so well for the large creatures.

A building that started under the sea that reached into the sky? That would be interesting to say the least, but one thing bothered her. “Are there that many sea-ponies out there to justify such a project? And would you be worried about getting the attention of other races? Kelpies? Even Sirens?” She had heard there were slight differences between the two. Kelpies could control minds and used those they controlled for simple tasks. Sirens usually mated with those they conquered. But when was the last time a pony locked eyes with a Siren?

Fire Walker decided not to speak of either Dunder or the unicorn’s uncle. She would prefer that things were settled as they were, but she had hope they all would be at least on speaking terms as the wedding drew near. Maybe an extension to the family would help? Family were very important to the mare. “The comb is actually rather old and has been passed down from mother to daughter for generations, usually when a child has just enough of a mane to need one.” Her mother made a VERY big deal about it, and was relieved when Fire ended the colt-streak. “We replace the bristles, but the handle is made from the extinct Fir-Tree. I believe the topaz was added a few hundred years ago."

He wanted to know more about her? What else was there to know? "I probably told you. I was part of the first squad to take on Tirek. We had these incredibly clever plans to take him down quickly, but the moment he arrived, our clever ideas quickly turned into 'GET HIM', and you how that ended....I was pony-piled on and I believe it was Soar'n...no...no...It was Fire Streak who landed on me first. I remember cause someone called out for a 'Fire' and we both answered. He now teaches at the academy." That stallion was prettier than she was! "Thankfully Tirek's backside was kicked back to tartarus, and we all can laugh about it now."

What else was there?

"Erm. I started dating very early mostly to annoy my father. Due to my medical issues when I was a filly, my skin is rather sensitive, so I tend to whiny a bit. Mostly when I'm tickled or during something like our previous little exercises. I'm not proud of this, but hey...", she shrugged her shoulders, "I used to be addicted to the Hayburgers they served at my high school. Spent years trying to find their recipe, but it disappeared with the lunch-lady.", she paused as her stallion landed another kiss on her neck, "I actually came in second place during a spelling bee during my elementary school years. Seventh grade and I was trying to lose. Was picked on for months. Hmmm.", she paused once again, "I spent an entire twenty-four hours in line so I could get tickets for an Silver Rutles concert. Always thought McQuickly was the cutest of the Rutles."

"So, how about you?", she asked with a wink.

mPzCC9x.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"The data about that is...inconclusive. Aside from Melodia we don't really have any numbers. That's why we start with one building, not whole distinct. To - as to say - chart the waters." Swift said, apparently pleased with a pun he made. "And yes, even Kelpies and Sirens. as long as they behave I see no reason to exclude them. Again, Melodia is an example of helpful and civilized Sirens. Renegades always happen. I am not blind to that and I have the countermeasures in mind, believe me. But condemning whole race just because of one or two sociopaths is....well 'putting labels' is the delicate way to put it....."

",,,,,,Really?" Swift muzzle expressed his surprise when Fire told the story behind her comb. "Extinct? Those dozen trees that I ran into at Badlands weren't looking very 'extinct' to me, in fact they looked.....I think I need to contact the Royal Botanic Conservation Society." Swift mused.after it hit him what he just said.

The noblepony however was less the impressed of what he heard about Army effort in apprehending Tirek. His face was clear about that.

"..........That's NOT how a military action should look like. And what do you mean by 'take him down'? What, does high command though it would be a good idea to put in in a hoofcuffs errr handcuffs? Both?" Squall murmured confused for a second. Because he really was. Swift wasn't even in the country when it all happened. Back then he was legally 'dead' and on the mission in Wingapore. Dismantling illegal fighting and gambling rings were occupying enough, that he wasn't in touch with home for those few weeks there.

"This wasn't a pickpocket, this wasn't some smuggler from the border with Aquelia! He was there to turn our country into a field of fire and brimstone! After stealing all of it's magic first. And back then he had a backup of Discord. With somepony like this you put arrow or dagger between his eyes as quickly as possible and worry later. I-I mean, how it even devolved into dogpile attempt?!"

Squall gave his love a long look.

"Moto, I am sorry for saying this...but state of our Military is bad. If our Special Forces would be pitted against Saddle Arabian ones, ours would be destroyed. It would be like pitting chinchillas against rainbow boa."

"Heh....I didn't even knew any girls my age. And in retrospect, the possibility of ending with some snobby doll makes me shudder. Uhhhh..." stallion visibly winced.

"Speaking of shudders....I don't exactly like....ducks. And no, not rubber ducks. Those are a pieces of yellow rubber. The actual feathery, waterfowl ducks. When I was small, Mom took me to a park to feed ducks some old bread. I didn't had a firm grasp with my telekinesis just yet back then so I hesitated for a while before throwing. A rather long while. And ducks took offense to that." Swift confessed "The bodyguards chased the ducks away eventually, but I wasn't....fond....of them ever since...." he added, with a nervous twitch in his eye.

"Rutles huh? Oh I remember. I mentioned I know 'Ashen Coppers' , didn't I? Well I was their bodyguard so...Anyway one day Statice Pole lost his voice, as in he could talk but not much else. He simply overdid it during practice. But the problem was, they had to do the recording for their new album. I mean that was not a very serious problem, they could delay for a weak or two. But Clash, oh freaking Clash was heaving none of that. 'Flash' he called me 'Hey, Flash, you heave some smoothy voice' . I was all 'Wha..?' and before I could comprehend what was happening they dragged me to recording both......Over the course of the two years I recorded twelve songs and I written half of them. And I was not even their bodyguard anymore!" Swift smiled at his memories for a moment before continuing. "You know, those tracks were never published but I think they still heave them somewhere. It just that, they couldn't publish them unless I was member of the band. Terms of contract you see. Oh, and for a long time - a manager with really long stick in his rump. And let's be honest. First, I sound nothing like Statice. And second they are not SMOOCH. They can't throw a ton of makeup on anypony and push him on scene to play with them. Still I have a free pass backstage whenever I want. I never forget their reaction when they found out my real name and that I was a Count....."

Swift paused for a moment before remembering

"Oh, and I had a pet snake when I was small as well!".

• 3 weeks later...

“Really?”, the mare was surprised to hear what the stallion had to say, “Didn’t even knew we still had Sirens swimming about. I guess if they have managed to defeat their need to eat ponies, I guess they all can’t be so bad.”  She shrugged her shoulders as she spoke. What would old Colonel Critchlow think about how the world had changed? Sirens were good guys now? With former city destroyers such as dragons and changelings slowly inching their way towards the light, what monsters were still out there? Would most horror stories deal with ponies forgetting to pay their bills or being stuck in a very long grocery line?

“Those are probably modern descendants or just pine.", Fire Walker playfully stuck out her tongue, "They were a bit different way back then. Were used for making magic stuff such as staves and wands. I was told the comb harbors a light enchantment against tangling, which is goof for those of us with long hair.", she glanced back at Swift as he finished making her look extra-pretty. "That's the thing. We had a proper plan of attack. Then we saw a oversized centaur engorged with magic, and I guess there was panic. Guy was pretty terrifying. " The guard had been acting odd lately. She was rather surprised to hear that there would be not a single member of military security during the upcoming Songbird Serenade. This would be an open air concert PACKED with people from allover Equestria, not to mention all of the princesses as well. *

"As for hoofcuffs, now that I can sit and think about it, he might have been beyond anti-magic traps...Would probably be like trying to stop a flood with a single piece of paper towel. And Saddle Arabia?", she paused, "Not sure why an culture that exists for beauty and culture would want to attack us, but if they did, they wouldn't have any real defense against magic or flyers."

Thankfully their conversation moved into more positive territory, which Fire Walker listened to with a smile on her face. This smile shifted slowly, and when Swift was finished, the officer had drifted away into slumber.

Spoiler

OOC: if you saw the last episode of the season, you can see that they had no issues with tasting a lil’ bit of pony flesh

* movie reference. This really bothered me.

• 3 weeks later...

"Eating ponies? Mostly old mare's tale, if degenerates indeed happen from time to time. Siren's usually eat fish, the flash of land faring creatures is very, very heavy on their digestive systems, although they can eat land plants just fine. No, you see the problem lie's in the fact that their magic works in very...changeling-kind-of way. But they not drain anypony, rather they bath in surrounding emotional spectrum. Good emotions are suited for for healing and other helpful magic Negative feeling on the other hoof..."  Squall said in a tone that didn't left much for imagination

"Hmmmm..." unicorn mused. "I think I read something about this. And I believe my mother have music box made from the same wood. And even if it's not the same I kind of want to check that area back. It was nice place for a Badlands...." he said before awkwardly stopping. "Sorry, got sidetracked for a moment."

".........." Squall went silent for a moment when Fire explained the events of Tirek...attack? Takeover? It was hard to classify it really. Probably 'raid'. Seeing things that he did it couldn't qulify as conquest. Well, right now it was irrelevant.

"I guess not everpony could deal with something like that, yes." Swift said, trying to sound polite but it still came out deadpan-sounding.

"And how exactly they fund all this 'beauty and culture' Moto? Resources that's how. They have large deposits iron, oil, silver, gold, lead, adamantium and it's the only known place in the world where hadrathium is mined - and they trade all of those for cold, hard cash and anything else they could need. Their military is good not because they rapacious tendencies Love. Rather, other surrounding countries - Maretonian nations in particular - would do much to lay their hooves on those goodies. As such they have to be sharp. I would think thrice if I had to go against squad of their SF, they just that good. And they have enough money to have top notch equipment as well." he explained while his mind wandered to the memories of his encounter with Elite Khamsin  Unit.

Squall kept rambling on, and on, and oooooon.....until he noticed that Fire was not there anymore.

"Moto?" he asked, only to hear a peaceful snore as an answer. Well, of course she was tired, who wouldn't be after day like this? Not to mention that sleeping in a bath was becoming a habit of hers. Must've be something with using showers in the barracks all those years.

"Sleep well Love...." Swift said quietly as he slipped out of the tube.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

The first thing crimson mare could experience in the morning was a smell. An aroma of chocolate and something freshly baked.

"Morning, Beautiful. Breakfast is served." orange stallion greeted fiancée when he saw her eyes open. On the nigh-table next to Fire was plate of still warm croissants, accompanied by the large cup of cocoa. This wasn't the only thing that was laying there. The other, little smaller plate was filled to the brim with Germaney style cheesecake and gingerbread.

"I also did a thing or two with your costume. It looks much better now." Squall said while pointing at the garb, neatly folded on her travel bag. Harmony knows what noblepony did, but it seemed to work, since costume looked almost new.

"So....this is big day Moto, isn't it? The day we bring your parents the news and then your Pa requests that Me and Him are to punch each other in the jaw.." Swift mused while suiting up. "You know, I am a little nervous. On one hoof I want to make good impression on your dad..." he continued, and Fire could notice that he put on vambraces."...but at the same time I don't want to get him hurt. I am not sure how much should I hold back, and I don't fight like a soldier anymore. " Squall said while putting dulling spells over his weapons.

"....In the hindsight, after that many years in service neither would he huh?"

• 1 month later...

The red mare let out a moan as she slowly opened her eyes. Once again, she must have overslept, which was something an officer for the R.E.A should never do! But there had to be an clause in that rule that stated if the bed she was in was extra comfortable, she could sleep in as long as she likes.  “Morning Swift.” She slowly opened up her eyes and smiled at her stallion. "Smells good.", she curled her eyes up as the sweet aroma filled her very being. She really liked  croissants and the other food. And the other food, that all reminded her of Hearth's Warming Eve. She had decided that Swift would hang out with her folks. It would be a nice, calm Hearth's Warming Eve. Have a little party at the house, and then take a walk around Ponyville. They usually had several little parties scattered around the little village. Well, make that little parties and then one really big one. Unless Pinkie Pie will be spending another 'Eve with her family this year.

This was all well and good, until her brother Cordell made known that he wished to stay at the house as well. Along with his wife and kid. No real big problem there. Jammy would definitely need to use the guest room since she was with foal. Ticker Tape was old enough that she could sleep in Wind's room. Easy. Then Walk wanted to come and show off his new marefriend, an lawyer named Prima Facie. And then the twins Johnny and Earth announced they would be staying over during their break from the academy. This was going to be insane. There had been an window of opportunity to stay at the nearby motel. And even the little bed and breakfast Fire and Swift had frequented before. But nope! They wanted to stay at the house. It would be nice to just sit around and tell stories by the fire while drinking eggnog. This would be a real 'Normare Rockwell' moment. Ho-Boy. Thankfully this was still a month or so away. She had time.

"My costume?", Fire glanced over at the small bundle. It was rather nice of her hubby to do such a thing. "Thanks.", she squeaked, "Don't worry about hurting dad.. And especially do not try to impress him.  And I'm sure all you will do fine. Rust or not", her tone shifted rather seriously, "Dad's been swinging pointy weapons around since before he probably should have been allowed to. Great Uncle Cloud Crusher was always there to push him harder.", she paused to gobble up a croissant, "They were rivals from the beginning. Cloud liked maces, while pops preferred bladed weapons. Some of their battles actually became rather serious and you might notice Dad walks with a slight limp. He does a very good job at masking it, but if you look, it's there. And Great Uncle Cloud is missing the top of his right ear. He did not speak to dad for YEARS after that little accident."

After tasting a bit of coco, she glanced over at the stallion, "I'll finish my little breakfast, take a quick shower.", she glanced up at her mane, "Er, slightly longer than quick shower, get dressed and I'll be ready to move on."

• 2 weeks later...

"Well it was a lovely costume. It would be a shame if some oh so alluring mare couldn't wear it anymore." noblepony said in kittenish tone.

"Noted. I will focus on kicking his flank instead then." Squall stated matter-of-factually while igniting the spellsaber that he got from his costume for a moment. After a moment of contemplation he decided to bring it along to the meeting, just in case.

"The same can be said about me, you know." unicorn reminded Fire after she mused about her father and lack of safety procedures regarding sharp things. "Besides, isn't it's the parents duty to decide what their child should or should not do? Still, I guess the families like ours have pretty askew view regarding availability of weaponry, compared the general populace." Squall lampshaded while turning the aetheric blade off.

"The rival huh...." swordpony mused. "Couldn't afford one when I was mercenary. The pony you worked against one day could be one who works with you tomorrow, and the opposite was true as well." Swift explained to his fiancée. "Until Sigrun and...Dunder,  I never had anyone I could consider 'rival'. Making attachments, positive or negative could be...unwise in my former line of work." he added.

"Of course it's easier said then done." businesses-stallion couldn't help but give exasperated sigh. "Despite the fact I should know better, I made quite a number of enemies. But I only resented two. I told you about one of them, that.....Condottieri." orange unicorn said through the gritted teeth. "The other pony....well, she and I teamed up back when I was only starting this 'sellsword' gig. We worked well together in terms of skill but our views.... parting ways was rough to say at least." Squall expression turned into a sour one at that unpleasant memory. "I am sorry Moto. I didn't meant to call up yet another of my bad experiences. Forgive me, if I may use what's ahead to blow some steam." he paused for a moment before adding. "Gosh, I can already hear Wind from the sidelines. 'Kick his butt Dad!'."

When Fire mentioned her desire to take a bath Squall nodded in acknowledgment. "Go ahead Dear. I finish tidying your things and then I will be outside to do some warmup." he informed his Love. "That is, unless you wish to flash dry your mane. You know. Unicorn." Swift mused while pointing at his horn.

"I could see us finding some use for the costume.", the mare purred, "I'll be a pesky little ghost and you can be the brave ghost hunter.", Fire Walker started the long task of getting out of bed. This was always the hardest part of the day, which was made even harder due to the excessive coziness of the bed, the temperature, the company and everything else. Some crazy magic must be involved. "And you will see when father sets everything up. This will be less kicking flank and more of an conversation. And if you go in swinging, you'll be trounced rather quickly. Dad is a big guy, but when he wants to move quickly. You won't believe your eyes." He was also sporting a new look. Gone was his simple old timey military crew cut, he finally decided to buck old tradition and let his mane grow out.  And now he wore his silver hair long, which made him seem a little longer. Now he just needed to have mom ditch the 'old maid' bun. Get with the new times.

"Friendly rival.", the mare added, "I doubt dad would be anywhere near as good as a sword-pony if it were not for his brother constantly challenging him. He had his brother. I have my siblings.", she managed to roll onto her stomach. "Still can't beat Cordy and Wind is starting to get good. Need to watch out for that kid." Oh crap. She somehow managed to get even more comfortable in this position. Will she ever leave this bed? Would she survive of the challenges of the comfy comfy room of doom? "Still can't get over the fact that you paid to fight for people. Did you ever need the money?" She obviously missed the 'could not afford' bit. He had working in an rapidly vanishing position in this modern world. Why murder your foe, when you could just take him to court?

"Right. I'll just stick to my towel.", she finally got into her hooves and started her perilous trek to the bathroom. "Swift my dear, I would be forever in your honor If you can throw some of my coffee in the pot before you do your practice. It's the black bag near the machine. It's from the 'Grindecologist Coffee' Shoppe. I purchased the 'Dreaded Motaba Blend'. It's really strong stuff, and I really needed it.", she added before she vanished into the other room.

HlyxuU4.png

• 2 weeks later...

"I ain't afraid of no ghost. But I sure got charmed by most beautiful, crimson specter." Squall said while giving his Moto the most amorous smile. "Oh I know. When we will be back in Fillydelphia I am sure some exorcising in 'Sul Bordo del Piatto' do the trick." he added, namedropping city famous Itailyian restaurant. it seemd like there was a dinner waiting for the pair back home.

"Set up huh?" unicorn mused while looking at the vambrace he put on a minute ago. "I guess it's fair that he would make some preparations too." Swift admitted, while trying to recall how many hidden blades he got. He counted 47.

"You know that they called me 'Emerald Flash' back then? Heh sounds kind of silly back in the retrospect. I remember somepony called me that once and suddenly pitch it as if was a wrestler or something. Besides...." Squall looked Fire to the eye. "You don't really think I will be going 'WAAAAAAGH!' and run at your pops with a raised sword, do you?" Squall said with a shrug. "Well nevermind. More importantly...." unicorn took a seat in the room's armchair.

"....your father didn't fought just your uncle in course of his career, isn't it? If I could know about his past opponents then I might have some basic grasp of his skill and possible strategy." he mused while crimson mare rolled on the bed. "Occasional scuffles with your brothers and sister won't do. If you want to get better as a fighter, you need to find more variety, as well as dedicated sparring partner. I myself had commissioned some custom equipment to get myself into shape. Glad I cleared underground under the manor, so I have place to put all those stuff in."

"You must remember Moto, there are places like Maretonia and Hesperia that have no shortage of work for ponies like I used to be. And regarding money.... Back when I was a mercenary, I had a very.....poor relations with my father. I had no access to my family fortune. Mom used to sent me some funds from time to time, but she had to be discreet about it, so it wasn't much. Aaaaaand she had to sent it to one address. Seeing that one week I could be in Aquelia and next in Saddle Arabia it was only practical way, and I could collect accumulated bits only occasionally. Besides, Dad found out eventually, and that pushed me to work for 'DTD'. Not that I knew any better back then." noblepony recalled.

"What? Even stronger then Costa la Corvo?! Love, you really are set on killing your taste buds. That or getting insomnia." Swift snarked before Fire disappeared into the shower cabin. Still despite the sass the orange stallion got up from the armchair to fulfill his love request.

"....Is that warning label?" he said in boggled tone upon inspecting the bag. Opening it proved it wasn't just for show. The strong aroma that hit his nostrils forced the unicorn to take a half hoofstep back. And it wasn't even brewed yet! "Ughhh...And I thought I liked mine strong. Forget Elements, three cups of those and Tirek would drop dead." Squall said to himself.

When Fire stepped out of the bathroom she was greeted by the sight of Squall wearing a protective googles and gas mask, standing full distance from the cup of the dreaded coffee with all of room's windows open wide.

"Your dissolvent is ready Dear." Swift said in muffled voice.  "I suggest a raw sugar cubes to go with that one. Biscuits started to blacken when I put them next to the cup. Also, I don't think I will get rid of the smell from the clothes for the next month." businessespony complained.

• 2 weeks later...

Fire Walker could not help but chuckle at her beloved’s ‘handle. “It sounds silly because it is silly.”, she added with a grin, “Generally if I were to receive an assignment that would require me to go incognito, I would generally use whatever fake name they gave me, and would be simply referred to as the ‘operative’  by those in the know.” she added. “I’ve only actually been on two of these missions. One had me as an very bouncy yellow gall named ‘Sunny Skies’. Thanks to my brother Moon Walker and Miss Pie, I was able to get into that roll. There was also my little Goth get-up where I was ‘Moonlight Raven’. Weird thing was that I just needed to look like I worked at a club. Nothing special.”, a smile creeped upon the mare’s face. “But my mother and Moon already had this whole character for me. Lots of black and lots of metallic and shiny things I had to wear and it took almost an hour to put it all on along with the dye and goth-ish makeup.” She could only ponder what sort of silliness the pair could do with Swift.

“Considering nearly everypony I’ve dated had tried that, except for one.” Which was Dunder. Guy was actually smart enough to do as asked. “I would not suggest you do that. It would be funny, but it would also be painful.”, the mare smirked, “And Dad and Uncle Cloud Crusher continue to train with each other, and it’s always a surprise and almost always very silly. We’re talking costumes and sometimes even hiding in a giant birthday cake. When Cloud went to blow out the candles, dad jumped out and it was duel time. Even said he ‘lost’ the fight as a birthday gift to his brother. Which is nonsense. Dad kept slipping and sliding because he had cake on his boots.”

While the mare had disappeared into the shower, she kept the door cracked open so the pair could continue to speak. "I train with some of best in Equestria at the base. Minotaurs, ponies of all kinds, Caribou, even a freaking fellow blacksmith friend of Zelda. Guy was an Yak in full plate and I was not permitted to fly.  That's when I learned you're not going to win every challenge, but you will always learn from defeat." There was silence for a moment before Swift could hear, "Ah sweetheart.", she gushed, "You got my shampoo! Cinnamon..You're the best.", there was an slight pause a bit of shower singing from the shower. "One of these days we'll have to visit Saddle Arabia. While there sand everywhere,  I heard there's nothing but beauty to find there. Although the pon-horses make me feel so sort and squatty."

Fire emerged from the bathroom clad in puffiest of towels. One around her body and one on her head. She quickly found her cup and took a sip, "Oh thank you.", she purred as the steam found its way into her snout, "Best stuff ever. Got me through officer school."

"But it wasn't a secret Moto, and I certainly not chose to be called that way. How to put it? Well I never attended one but you did. You certainly knew somepony that got one of those nicknames in school? And despite everything it stuck, following him or her even after graduating? That's what 'Emerald Flash' is for me. While it's inherently part of who I am, it's also reminds me of some...unpleasant things." Squall explained.

"Oh yes, I can see you playing part of bouncy mare. You already are, in all the right places." unicorn said with a smirk while his gaze shifted to his fiancée hindquarters. "...Although to be honest I couldn't see you as another Foxglove. You agreed to go along with it? It had to be too close to your high-school phase to really enjoy it. And Moonligh Raven....Good Harmony, who would name his daughter that? It's so edgy I feel that my ears bleed just from hearing it, ughhh..." he winced. "No wonder REIN had so much trouble before EPIC was founded. At times they have subtlety of a sledgehammer." Swift didn't missed opportunity to throw a roast at the intelligence part of Equestria military.

"You don't need to tell me that Dear. You know that I know better." noblepony reminded his wife-to-be.

"Hmmm yes I can see the reasoning behind this. Even if that was a terrible waste of perfectly good cake." Squall mused. "Too bad I can't do anything similar...at least within Equestria borders.These days I have to look 'respectable' and 'dignified', country wealthiest businesses-stallion and all. At least that's what my Public Relations specialist tells me." noblepony said regretfully.

"Well that's true, defeat is a better teacher. However...." Swift started "...from what you said your father would want to know more about his future son-in-law. If that is the case, then I won't be the one doing studying today." he said with confidence.

Squall could only be stunned in surprise as he heard his Beloved delight. What could possibly...?

On 12.02.2018 at 2:00 AM, tacobob said:

"Ah sweetheart.", she gushed, "You got my shampoo! Cinnamon..You're the best.", there was an slight pause a bit of shower singing from the shower. "One of these days we'll have to visit Saddle Arabia. While there sand everywhere,  I heard there's nothing but beauty to find there. Although the pon-horses make me feel so sort and squatty."

"Well of course I did. We have similar mane length so I predicted you would run out while we in 'ville. And Saddle Arabia is nice place to visit. It's also not true that it's just a desert and ancient tombs. There are forested regions at the coast with unique flora and Shatt al-Iblis delta near Saddlelon is a swampland thriving with life. The upper mountain regions on that continent are also pleasant, if you can get over thinner air." unicorn explained, an insight that could only come from experience.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Swift Squall faced many challenges in his life. Ancient traps in long lost tombs, choking air of the thickest of jungles, evil sorcerers, trained assassins, pirates, blizzards, raging seas, merciless caribou warriors and at least a dozen of monsters kinds for every letter in the alphabet.

So why was his heart hammering so much in his chest, as the Fire's parents house grew larger as they approached it?

"Dear." noblestallion started, clearly nervous. "How...how many of your family could be present right now?" he asked.

"Just so you know.", the mare slyly stated, "In the entire history of me, you're the only one outside of my parents who is permitted to give me a nickname, which you have.", she added, "Anyone else gets a hoof to the face and the another to the rump. And Emerald Flash? Sounds almost like a friend of mine from High School. Emerald Sunrise, who I sometimes hang out with when in Canterlot. But Emerald Flash? I could only see it as a proper insult if you were a little on the slow side growing up, or you had a quick little protein spill? Threw up something really quick. Eh.", she shrugged her shoulders, "Never a fan of mean nicknames in the military...Something they all amuse themselves over with the Wonderbolts. Although, when I heard what they call Captain Spitfire, I nearly choked on my coffee. It was very...not...keeping up with their wholesome  image. But a good deal more fun than 'Clipper' or 'Dizzy'.", an old memory slowly emerged in the Pegasus pony's noggin. "I do remember threatening to cause great bodily harm to a certain unmentionable pony who considered giving my dear friend Presteza an rude name."

She smiled as the image of her Goth 'costume' popped up, "Nah, I was more of an proper bad-gal. Short hair. Piercings EVERYWHERE.", she shook her front legs, "Thankfully, most of that has healed up..I was mean, tough, but overly protective of my friends as it was rather hard for me to make them back then. I was a little on the cranky side, but less the 'creative and dark' and more the outright mean side. Thankfully, officer school cured me of that stage. But still.", her smile never faded, "Mom and Moon become such silly little geeks when they put their heads together, I could not possibly reject their suggestions, or costumes..Thankfully, I never really needed such a long backstory for my little undercover work, but if I did, I would have been ready."

"Heh.", the mare chuckled, "Don't think Uncle Cloud would agree with you on that one. He said dad was flailing his legs about while trying to fight, but was just slipping and sliding on the cake, while wearing a good deal of said cake on his rump. Combine this with my dad's need to act tough while this was all happening, and it was well worth the price of admission."

As they slowly made their way towards her parent's thatched roof cottage, Fire Walker made sure to let her eyes bounce around the village. There seemed to be more new houses popping up, along with new businesses. "Erm.", she pondered the stallion's question, "Well, besides the parents, Wind might there unless she's playing with her friends. Punk Walker is out of town. And as long as Pinkie Pie isn't lurking about, we should make it there in one piece." She could only imagine what sort of party the pink earth pony would come up with. 'Fire Walker's two hundred Ponyville visit'? 'Red Pegasus Pony Day'?

The pair spotted two Pegasus ponies on the front yard. One, a middle aged mare known to most as 'Write Stuff' to most, or simply 'Mom' to Fire was busy untangling a garden hose, while Wind Walker was trying her very best to bathe a corgi puppy who clearly did not want to be bathed. "Well, hello there Sir Swift and dear.", the older mare smiled politely at the pair, "How did this get so jumbled?", she grumbled. Wind was too distracted by her new pet to notice her visitors...

GAer5S8.png

• 3 weeks later...

"That's....that's good." Swift said, a little calmer thanks to Fire's words. Normally he wouldn't care a jack. Back when he was just starting his career as the mercenary he fought assassin sent after Aquelian politician on the public street in Talonopolis. Of course since then he had matured and learned about consequences and impacts of such actions....and how to shrug them off.

And yet the prospect of having the least possible pair of eyes watching was gladdening despite this.

"Yes...that would complicate things..." he nodded in agreement on Moto's musings about Miss Pie. "While I never had a chance to meet Miss Pie I heard that however pleasant, encounters with her are....exhausting." Swift said, as he recalled how flat out tired Bevel was after spending some time in Ponyville. "And I have to save my strength for later today....besides, I don't think that endurance training through Miss Pinkie would be very effective for me. She seems like a pony that's always on caffeine or something." he confessed.

Their destination somehow came quicker the expected. It's been a while since he saw Wind. Fire's sister seemed to gain yet few more inches of height since their last meeting. Meanwhile Miss Stuff didn't changed at all. This was something that she shared with Squall's own mother. For those two it seemed that time outright gave up in trying of putting a dent on them.

The hose that Miss Stuff was fighting with appeared to have much more success in doing just that.

"Good morning Mrs. Stuff. You looking fresh as ever." Swift complimented his oblivious soon-to-be mother-in-law. For a moment he was surprised that she ignored how much equipment he was carrying under his duster. That was before he recalled that he was in Ponyville right now. After living here for some time here, you wouldn't bat an eyelash if alien invaders came knocking on your door. 'Crazy' replaced Wensday long ago in this town. Marring into a family with military traditions helped too probably.

Seconds later his attention shifted to Wind and her new pup. Fire's little sister seemed to be very adsorbed with her new puppy - to the point that he appeared to not notice their arrival at all! It is hardly surprising. The canine ball of fluff was after all, absolutely adorable!

"Hi Wind. Cute dog." despite how much disarmed he was by corgi's preciousness, Swift knew better then to try and pet it. For some reason he just didn't clicked with animals - with the exception of some cats and snakes, the latter of which seemed to adore him. Perhaps it explained why half of the things present in the jungle was trying to kill him, every time he made trip to one. Well...one can't have everything, he guessed.

And he was about to give Wind's new pet even more reasons to dislike him.

"Please Mrs. Stuff...alow me." he said while taking the garden hose from her.  Squall unentangled the hosepipe in matter of seconds, sparing the oldest of present mares from any further struggle. Still, Squall wondered why her husband didn't do that for her. Sleeping off exhausting yesterday perhaps? Military ponies tended to have somewhat erratic shifts when the need came, Squall knew it firsthoof after living with Moto for some time now.

"So...." Swift started unsurely after the deed was done. Gosh this is going to be awkward. 'So Mrs. Stuff, Me and Your husband are going to punch each other today. I hope you don't mind.' wasn't a topic one would raise when attempting the small talk. Just then his gaze shifted to a corgi pup, probably very unhappy with how the events was unfolding. This however gave hims some idea....

"So...a pet at least hmmm? What's it's name? Where did you got it?" he asked. Yep, things were going all right so far.

While short on legs, Corgis were long in personality and were basically the ponies of the canine world. Hearing a new voice in the usual mix, the little puppy glanced over at the noble-stallion and let out a friendly RAPH! Wind Walker continued to give him the best bath she could. “Oh, hey Swift and Fire..”, she chatted while she continued to wash the pup. “His name is Gumby and I got him from Miss Fluttershy.” Liking the sound of the his former master’s name, the pup let out another happy RAPH! “Dad and I visited her while she was doing one of her animal adoption things she does.”

The elder mare spoke up as she continued to work on the hose, “Wind Walker did a fine job convincing her father that she was ready and old enough to handle the responsibility of taking care of an dog.” Write Stuff wore an almost comical yellow rain slicker and hat that covered her from head to hooves.

“Yep. I sang a song.”, she cleared her throat, “If only I could have a puppy.”, Wind sung, “I'd call myself so very lucky. Just to..ermm.” Thankfully the song ended nearly as quickly as it had begun.

“Wind? Where’s the puppy?”, her mother finally turned her attention to the filly. Gumby managed to hop out of his pup-tub and was now giving the red coated Pegasus’s husband to be a good sniffing. Along with a few RAPH RAPHs. "Apparently he likes you Sir Swift." The soggy little dog quickly rushed back into the tub after a few calls from his master.  "If you two are wondering, Brassy has been busy this morning. Apparently there was a bit of a ruckus when a few Ponyville citizens wanted to express their displease about some book being published by Princess Twilight and her friends.  The old boy needed to make sure they didn't go too far with their brannigan'ing."

She backed away as the helpful stallion fixed her issue at hoof. "Oh thank you dear.", she tested the properly functioning garden tool on Wind who let out a playful 'yeep!'. " Write Stuff turned to the eldest of her daughters, "Actually Fire, could you see what's going on with him? He should be near the castle."

Fire gave her special somepony a quick peck on the cheek before disappearing into the sky. "Be right back." Wind Walker vanished as well, taking an towel covered pup back to the house.

"Now dear.", the motherly mare turned off the hose and wandered over to a towel covered bench. "Fire might have mentioned that her father likes to scare her boyfriends with a little bit of sword-play.", she pulled off the towel, which unveiled two rather impressive swords. They were dull bladed, but there was still something very appealing about the weapons. "She might not have mentioned that once a stallion or mare believes that are ready to take one of mine as their bride or groom, they must first have a conversation with me.", quickly removed her slicker, revealing an suit of armor and where she normally had a neat little bun-style mane cut, her hair was cut short. She kicked the sword over to the stallion. "This is not a formal duel, I simply am curious how you will react to what I have for you."

WigFYcO.png

Once the unicorn readied his sword, she took up her blade and charged. She was very fast. Write Stuff was no longer a sweet, charming and mild middle aged mom. She was an  experienced  and fierce warrior. Even her cutie mark revealed this. Swift had seen it before. It was marked with a military style book, which also included a sword on its cover. Swordplay? She wrote the freak'n book on swordplay!

Spoiler

OOC: Write Stuff might not be the deadliest warrior Swift has ever faced, but she would rank very highly. It also dawned on the stallion that she wrote military training manuals. This Fire had mentioned before. She might have failed to mention that many of them were on swordplay alone. Being experienced, Swift would know she was not actually trying to attack him, but testing him..So far it appeared to be a simple charge, but he had a feeling there was something else she had planned...

"I see...." was all Squall answered laconically in response to being told about circumstances surrounding Wind's new pet. Noblepony wasn't really that familiar with Miss Fluttershy and her activities.  He however broke out a slight smile when Wind mentioned 'singing'.

"Don't worry Wind. I did more embarrassing things for less." he reassured his sister-in-law to-be.

His smirk however was soon enough replaced by the expression of utter astonishment when he was sniffed by blue filly dog.

"...That's never happened before. Usually animals hate me." Squall confessed. This day just kept getting weirder and weirder....

"What? They still going about it? They released The Diary two years ago...or is it a new edition?" swordstallion wondered aloud. It made sense. Two years was a lot of time, and it was granted that Diary was bound to have more the few new entries since then. "Hmph. And I thought Daring Doo fanbase was rabid. Or is it hatebase?"

Soon enough Squall and Miss Stuff were left alone.

"She did, but it's not a sword-play that scares me Ma'am." noblestallion said truthfully. This was going well so far.

However nothing could prepare him for a surprise that Write Stuff had for him.

What? When? How? That were the initial questions that flashed through Swift's mind. Nightmare Night was just yesterday. And since the Costume Contest Moto and Squall were together none-stop. Fire didn't had a time window to mention the reason for their visit even if she wanted to, and Swift was doubting that parental instincts were that precise....

".....Were you spying on us yesterday Ma'am?" Squall asked. It was only logical explanation for Miss Write level of preparedness. If she was in costume neither Swift nor Fire would be able to notice her! And this being Nightmare Night made any costmed individual below suspicion.

Squall looked at the sword that he was given, but while his gaze run along the surface of the blade. How it come that he ended up in situations like this? Perhaps this was a reason why Discord took instant liking to him. Well that were the musings for later. Right now he had something to prove.

".........Very well. I Swift Squall, Scion of House Squallcoast. Descendant of Platinas Bloodline and Count of Fillydelphia will sate your curiosity Ma'am." nobelpony said as he raised the borrowed weapon.

Miss Stuff charged and struck, and as experienced Squall's blade met her own. Only having to dodge the right cross from Squall's armored hoof a second later. What followed was a quick exchange of strike and parries. Before having to dodge again, seeing that Squall imbued his blade with aeather lightning. The overhead slash hit the ground instead of his opponent, cratering it and shaking the glass in the windows. The magical discharge completely messed up the lawn, made the fence fall over and fried the mailbox standing before the house.

".....So......" Swift started, slightly embarrassed. "Are we continuing? Because Ma'am I feel that you front-yard is a little too small for this. As is your backyard. Honestly doing it by the lakeside would be for the best if you want to avoid any further property damage." he expressed his opinion. As if to agree with his words the charred remains of the mailbox fell over.

"And yes, I am paying for that."

xXT6y4I.png

“Pfffffffft.”, the little filly grinned back at the stallion, “There’s nothing embarrassing about my singing...Heck, that’s how Ponyville ponies change the minds of others. A little song, a little dance and maybe you’ll have a chance.”, Wind Walker sung the last part while doing a little dance. Gumby was very amused by her little act and howled along with the song. “As for your own embarrassing acts, you’ll have to tell me about them...”, she could almost feel the glare her mother gave her. “When I’m older. Much older. Like a hundred.”, she gave an chuckle. “And Gumby likes everypony! He’s a good boy!" The little puppy let out a few more RAPHs before the pair vanished into the house.

Write Stuff was rather skilled at deflecting Swift’s sword and it seemed her attacks grew stronger the longer their little duel went on. When asked a question, the mare backed up and was able to hold the training sword with her wing, “Fire was able to simply send me a short little message. ‘He’s Ready’.  As for my choice for a ‘battle-field’, it was more than suitable until you decided to enchant our little training swords.”, she let out a sigh, “Fire would be so disappointed in me. I did not properly give you the proper rules before our little test.  But you still did not do anything wrong. I wanted to see what you would do if I charged you....”

As she spoke, her guard was down. Would Swift do anything as she spoke?

Spoiler

OOC: I believe according to the show, Twilight has been living in Ponyville for about a year? Two years?

• 2 weeks later...

"Of course she did..." Squall mused with a smirk. At this point Fire knew him in certain aspects better then Swift's own parents. It wouldn't be hard for her to wait until his first snore to sent the quick message to her parents. the crimson girl certainly was getting better at being sneaky-sneaky. Squall had only his influence to blame

"Thinking that unicorn wouldn't use it's magic is like expecting the pegasi would withhold from unfurling it's wings." noblepony pointed out the the glaring error in mare's judgment.

Squall held back while miss Write Stuff was talking. He could see that she left her guard open...but again, it wasn't a real duel. Swift also had a distinct feeling that this glaring opening wasn't an opening at all

Mrs. Stuff was a mare who made a living from writing combat manuals. Somepony like her would obviously know a six dozen ways to faint her her opponent, leaving him or her open for devastating counterstrike.

Knowing this Squall opted out to wait off Write Stuff's explanation. The quick swishing of his tail however indicated that he had to hold in place the years of accumulated experience and fighting instinct - this that demanded it to go after opponents for the 'weakness' when he saw one. Something that he wasn't exactly happy with. While Swift knew the benefits of patience, it wasn't a virtue that came in his birth package. It was something that he had to cultivate from years of actual experience, hundred of cuts and bruises suffered in training and iron self discipline.

"Yes I heard about that - ' Some things can only be conveyed through battle. ' - is that it?" Swift used a quote from famous play, before assuming a combat stance again, different then previous one. More exotic and more...focused. It was clear that as soon as Mrs. Stuff will be done with laying down the 'rules' that noblepony will resume his offensive.

"it would only be fair if I get the answer for the same question...isn't it Ma'am?"

• 2 weeks later...

"But that was whole point.", the mare added, "I wanted to see how you reacted. Would you match blades with me as an equal, or would you use whatever you had at your disposal." Write Stuff also made a point to show that her wings were still at her side, "It's generally unwise to extend your wings while fighting on the ground. I would not want to give you an easy target." The older pony seemed more relaxed as she listened to the stallion. "Yes. But you can also learn a little from an opponent when they choose not to fight. Just as you did. I am also noting your impatience, which....Wind..", the mare moved aside as her daughter emerged from behind the house.

"Ugh. Wish you guys would stop with the whole play fighting.", she groaned, "Why not just ask him the important stuff?" she cleared her throat, "Right. Swift Squall from Noble House of Squallcoast.", she stared directly at the stallion. "You must answer this question and you must answer it 'truefully' or daddy will have Princess Celestia send you to the moon. Do you love my sister Fire Walker with all of your heart and promise not to be a big jerk and make her real sad like the others did?", she tried her very best to sound tough, but it just all came out rather adorable-ish. Fire's little sister apparently had seen her share of fallout from the elder Pegasus pony's other relationships and was probably getting a little tired of the drama.

• 3 weeks later...

"This 'meeting as equals' treatment is something I leave for the sparring sessions or bouts Mrs. Stuff. When I am in 'work'.....well, I use whatever does the job." Squall answered bluntly.

"Are you familiar with 'method-acting' Mrs. Stuff? This..." Squall waved his hoof around. "...is similar to that. You can't expect to receive the genuine results if you announce before-hoof that this is a test." he pointed out to the elder mare.

"Well excuse me. I was waiting for this day for years. You can't really expect..." Squall started to make excuses for his apparent 'impatience' when out of sudden his soon to be sister-in-law reappeared.

"No." Swift answered to Wind's question. Before she could open her mouth again (undoubtedly floored by his response) he begun speaking again.

"I promise more than that. I, Swift Squall Squallcoast, Count of Fillydelphia, descendant of the Platinum bloodline swear this. I will forevermore love Fire Walker with my heart, mind, body and soul, in that life and beyond. I promise to be a big jerk to everypony and non pony who will ever make her sad. I swear I will, with all in my power, do everything to make your sister smile, fulfill her wishes and dreams and be besides her, and support her in all that she undertakes." noblepony said. In one breath, without hesitation or stutter. He spoke so naturally like it was an absolute truth - like the fact that water is wet or that shadows need a light to exist.

"i too, don't want to see her crying ever again. At least not those kind of tears...." he added quietly before refocusing on Write Stuff.

"I am not like her previous coltfriends Mrs. Stuff. I know that she doesn't deserve to be treated as the 'second choice'." businesses-pony said, a clear jab at certain stallion's indecisiveness. "You know what I mean. This feeling.... You younger daughter is too young to understand yet, but there is the day when you just realize. That moment when a whole world shifts as if by invisible hoof, like watching the first shine of newborn star, like hearing the heart of the universe beat once." he described before pausing, gazing at Stuff expectantly.

• 4 weeks later...

There was a slight hint of annoyance in the mare’s eyes as the stallion spoke, but she kept her tongue as her daughter spoke.The older pony did speak once things were all settled. “Well, spoken.”, she turned her head just as her eldest daughter appeared with a few bags of fast food from Hay Burgers resting on her back. Her father walked besides her with a cartoon of beverages. “Hey guys!”, the red mare shouted.

She lead the small group into the house’s outdoor patio where a set of tables and chairs were ready for them where they all had a nice little meal and conversation was light and polite. Apparently Fire and Brass had to put an end to a near riot...Thankfully Fire’s Father could probably out-shout an dragon, and the sound of his roar sent ponies packing for the night. Talk of the wedding was the main topic for their conversation. When would it be? Where would it be? Would the assortment of parties have a theme?
***************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Fire Walker was one very busy pony the next week. She spent a good portion of her time in Canterlot aiding a fellow officer of hers on a special training assignment. Apparently she had to deal with recruits that were as wet behind the ears as the average seapony. This lead to a rather fateful day in Ponyville. Fire Walker had helped an very pregnant Applejack retrieve an important family spice only the bravest of adventurers could find...Deep in the Everfree! And while the brave farmer would normally go on her own, her friends and family were worried about this year’s trip due to the mare’s condition. Thankfully common sense beat the earth pony’s very strong sense of pride.. And Fire was the one they trusted to help her. Weird. And like all things, their little adventure lead to something else, which was a meeting with Princess Twilight......

The following day, the red Pegasus met her soon to be husband back in Fillydelphia at his stately manor. “You know how you’ve been worried that I haven’t been aggressive when it came to my own promotion..”, she squeaked, “Well, I just got a rather big one.”

She entered the stallion’s home office dressed in an different suit of armor and she was absolutely glowing..

7xSUtnu.jpg

Fire had found Squall besiged to the huge amount of paperwork, which should come as no surprise. When you are the owner and the boss of huge business conglomerate it's expected to be in touch with record of varied kind. Especially if your net worth could be measured in billions. This 'being in touch' escalated to the point that Squall got himself some reading glasses to protect his eyesight.

But Swift needed no hearing aid to recognize heard Fire's distinct hoovesteps behind the office's doors. Years of adventuring made his ears as sensitive as those of a cat.

"Hello Dear! You got earlier then I thought. I was just thinking about to ordering some Unyasian cuisine. Misr Wat sound's good, I think? Regardless we will need extra dish today♪." Swift greeted his love in pleased, sing-song tone - but with his sight still glued to the letters before him.

"Once in the blue moon, yes." unicorn answered with some playful sarcasm. "Well I can't help it. You are really underselling yourself Love." he added in the worried tone.

However crimson mare's next words made Squall freeze in his seat. For a moment anyway. Because seconds later Squall literally jumped over his desk just as Fire entered the room.

"The made you Brigadier General?!" Squall said in disbelief, eyepiece he was wearing making seeing things at distance difficult. However being formerly in miliary himself, his error wasn't standing for long.

"Waaait.....the armor's all wrong...." unicorn quickly realized while taking the glasses off. ".....That's Captain of the Guard armor. And that's...." orange stallion focused on what he previously mistook for a rank insignia. "...That's Sparkle's Cutie Mark...." he added as the realization slowly dawned upon him.

"Oh. My. Gosh! Sparkle made you Captain of the Royal Guard?!" Swift said in even bigger astonishment.

The red coated officer had very little trouble slipping out of her armor, which was quickly whisked away by the noble-pony's butler. “If we’re doing that, please make sure to order some Mapo Doufu.", the mare added, "I'm in the mood for something spicy.", she purred as she slowly curled up onto a nearby couch.  She could not help but smile as her husband-to-be bounced about for a moment.

"It's a bit of a story.", a cup of her favorite tea was placed within reach. A nice cup of hot Old Grey Mare, one milk, two sugars. Just the way she liked it. Fire doubted even Princess Celestia had as good as a servant as Oak Branch. Kibitz be damned!

"I might have told you awhile back that I had a mission with Lady Applejack.", she paused to sip a little bit of her drink, "I didn't think much of it when I was asked...I had happily agreed to the job...It was in the Everfeee and I've been there before...Battled all kinds of nasties from Timberwolves to Timberbears....", she waggled her front right leg in 'mock battle', "And Applejack has always been easy company.  What I did not know, was that she was EXTREMELY pregnant, like in 'holy crap she should not be doing this' pregnant. But this is something she had to do, and she did not want any of her friends to come...She has this thing with her pride....", the officer added with a shrug, "So Princess Twilight used me as a trump card.....Since Applejack is a very important pony via her association with the crown and what, she was required to have an escort, which was me.", she said somewhat proudly.

"So I needed to escort her and her unborn baby through some of the darkest parts of the Everfree and find this rather hidden section of the old woods to retrieve a very important..erm. spice..." It all sounded epic right until then. "It's a family tradition as old as Ponyville." And Granny Smith. Sweet Celestia, how old was she? "And we encountered some rather unique and somewhat terrifying flora and fauna."  Fire Walker silently wondered if the Roc they encountered was the same one that Twilight and Spike had encountered recently. "Even gained a new little friend...That's your cue Dan."

With that, a small Equestrian Squeak Bat appeared. Being the polite sport, he gave a little bow to the stallion. Along with a friendly squeak.

vbytA1j.png

"This is Dan. Found the little guy lost in the woods far from his home.", the fuzzy creature did a couple of loop-de-loops before he settled back on the back of his mistress. "We got what we needed and got back safely....This mission, combined with my own personal history with Princess Twilight was enough for her to have me join her new guard...Which actually started when my father was deployed to Ponyville after the infamous Nightmare Night Changeling Invasion to start work on a guard...This all got rather big and ended up in Twilight's worthy hooves."

Yikes! That was a lot of story. "So, what do you think?"

• 4 weeks later...

"Well, I have to write to another restaurant as well." Squall mused. This reminded Squall that he also needed to restock his supply of Dragon Dust. His reserves were running low recently.

"You know, back when I was mercenary I used to eat a lot of hot stuff. Not so much noways. Since you moved in I figured out that I have enough 'spice' in life." Squall said in playful tone before planting a kiss on the mare's cheek.

"There always is one." Swift nodded in acknowledgment. Of course the was a tale behind the events that lead to this! It's not like Sparkle spun a wheel of fortune to see where the pointer lands - there had to be a reason for her choice.

"Well, that makes two of us..." nobelpony mused when his love mentioned her past ventures. He decided not to mention his own, fresh venture into the infamous wood along with Night Watcher - it was a whole different can of worms and he decided to leave that story for another time.

Swift also tried to keep his mouth shut when Fire explained the reason for her involvement. Seriously, HOW IRRESPONSIBLE ONE COULD GET?!

Risking yourself is one thing, but doing the same to your own child because of your ego..... Squall bravely held out from spewing any venomous words, right until his fiancee revealed the reason of Element of Honesty trip.

"Let me get this straight. This...mare put her unborn foal into risk of death or worse because of...couple of seeds?" he asked with corner of his eye twitching. The stallion paused and took a deep breath to calm himself.

"I am sorry Dear, I know that your job requires you to not be judgmental, so I will be for both of us. This mare doesn't deserve to be a parent." Squall said in arctic cold tone, although it was clear that this frigid words and matching glare was not meant for Fire but for non-present farmer.

"If your 'tradition' requires you to do this and that no matter your state....well, it's a sign that it's about time for this tradition to go %$#@& off and die." noblepony added before hiding his face in his hooves. It was clear that earth pony mare disregard for well being of her child shook him.

".....I was planning to go to Miss Applejack with a job offer later this month, but after seeing that I am not sure I want to talk with Element of Ego in the first place. I could understand if it was - I don't know - Soggalong. But you said it Love. There are things that eat ponies there!" he fumed.

"That also explains why Miss Sparkle picked you as her escort. She knew that you of all ponies in the military will have enough patience to not chew her out on the spot. I guess that she really knows her friends....and to how to work around their flaws." Squall reflected, and his respect for purple princess grew as steadily as one for Miss Applejack evaporated. Her decisions were always logical and based on available information. It didn't made them any less frustrating at times, but they were sound nonetheless!

Luckily, Fire Walker came with something to lighten now soured the mood - namely, reveal of her new pet.!

Wait, didn't this trip with Miss Applejack happened months ago? How did she hid the little fellow all this time?! Questions for later, because for now Swift attention was focused on Everfree's bat appearance. Indeed, the resemblance was uncanny...

"...I see what you did there." Swift admitted before taking a sip of his own tea. "Also, I am naming our kids. I am sorry Dear, but your talents in that field are as non existent as those of your parent's." businesses-stallion added with a dose of brutal honesty.

Fire's last question, despite it's simplicity made Swift pause for a moment. Indeed there were many things to consider and ponder. Still there were some basic conclusions and thoughts that could be laid down right now.

"What I think, is that Miss Sparkle did the most logical and sound of choices. There are indeed no better candidates for the position then you Love." he started.

"That said, it doesn't change that her decision gave us quite a stickler. I swear, it's as if she was doing that on purpose. As a Count of Fillydelphia I can't really move out, not after just reclaiming  my family house, lost after so long.  Also my corporation have it's HQ here in the city so there's also that. On the other hoof you have to be readily available for the call of the Princess. Private airship is possible, but exploitation cost would only grow with time and it isn't instantaneous. Hmmmm..." orange stallion mumbled weighting the quickly available options.

"Well if there is a will, there's a way. If anypony would have resources to find it, it would be myself." noblepony observed.

"But let leave our job aside Moto. I was thinking we should do some plans for the wedding. I was thinking about some remote location perhaps in the open space wildness, somewhere far from all those paparazzi and such. Without many guest's either but at high standard. You know - quantity over quality." Swift said.

“Food in Canterlot always tended to be a bit...”, she paused for a moment, “Safe. So I usually kept a small bottle of hot stuff in my saddlebag to chase away the blandies.”, Fire Walker added with a smirk, “There was never any good curry shops near the base and I doubt any Ponyville citizens even know what that is.” And it was a shame that the ‘The Tasty Treat’ never did deliveries. Hopefully as the village got bigger, the selection of restaurants grew. So far, they had a café, a ‘Hay Burgers’ and a couple other smaller places like Ice Storm’s ice-cream parlor....Or was that place even still open? As she pondered this, her feisty stallion planted a surprise kiss on her.

The mare simply shrugged her shoulders, “I’m not defending her, but the Apples are slaves to their traditions and Lady Applejack is rather well known for her stubbornness.” IT was a rather exciting little adventure they went on, but she was a little worried about the Roc they encountered. Hopefully it would stay in the Everfree and not dare to try its luck and venture into the village. It would be foolish to do so.* “I would like to believe I was protecting the creatures of the Everfree from Applejack, as there are very few people as tough as a pregnant earth pony. And with Canterlot’s finest at her side, she was never in any real danger.” Although she hoped the foal did not receive any negative side effects from the assorted magic traps they wandered into.  She eventually did end up seeing little Zap Apple, and so far he looked like any other baby.

“Ha!”, the mare let out a roar, “Nothing wrong with our names...We could have ended up with worse.” She still could not get over that there was some poor kid in Ponyville named ‘Pipsqueak. That should be considered child abuse! "I heard a guy had a name that sounded like the cry of a foal...What was it?", she waggled her eyebrows at the stallion, "Oh, was it an Squall?" While it normally meant a storm, it was also the word used to describe a fussy foal's cry for attention. She had a feeling he was a demanding baby! "And besides, names are not something you simply think of, but they usually come to you, normally as the baby is born." Pony names were very odd. While not always the case, names had a strange habit of reflecting an pony's later personality and even a cutie mark. Although sometimes it was obvious. A pony who was born to a pair of farmers was probably going to grow up into the family business. Fire was curious what sort of child they would have. Two very solid lines of heroic ponies did not always equal an heroic kid. For every Cordy Walker or Swift Squall, there was always a Punk Walker. And come on, that's bloody clever! It reflected him being a bit of a punk, a  a fan of the pumpkin, which was also another term for a fibber. A pumpkin eater!

"As for quick transpiration, I guess we could set up some sort of teleportation pad..", those were a thing, right? "I'm sure we'll find a way....and the wedding...We could simply have a private ceremony somewhere quiet, and then a bit ol' party for the families in the castle. Why not make everpony happy?" She had a feeling both Swift and her own family would want to be a part of this. He was their only kid, and she was the first daughter to marry. And seriously.....Sugar Cube Corner made the best wedding cakes. Few mortals could ever dare to compete with the Cakes...It was their freaking name after all!

OOC: Whoops! It did!
Spoiler

dmbLmtU.png

"Oh is that so? I wonder then how did you acquired the tastes for those 'hot-stuff' you speak off - seeing that you are Canterlotian born and raised." Squall inquired.

"I agree however about the 'boring' part. It's always surprised me, you know? I always thought that Prench cuisine should be popular there but......" noblepony shook his head in disappointment.

"I guess it's because all that nobility in there. They just can't take a hit - on both the jaw as well as the taste buds." Swift added with self assuring nod.

"Hmph. Yeah I knew that much." Swift mused when Fire mentioned Miss Applejack glaring flaw. "Still, I am grateful it was you that was sent to deal with her obstinacy. Sometimes I wonder if those Six have enough cognisance to realize how much rest on their shoulders. how much depends on their well being." noblepony pondered. "At least one of them has enough awareness regarding that. Your new superior I mean. I don't always agree with her decisions but I never could say that she doesn't know what she's doing." unicorn praised Twilight....in some roundabout way.

"My my, it's been a while since I heard that one. I see somepony was studying her thesaurus." Swift said, more amused with Fire's teasing then anything. "Silly Moto. It's me that's should be known for sesquipedalian loquaciousness, being pompous noble and all...." he added,jokingly.

"Oh so I heard, so I heard. But....don't you find it...weird?" Squall asked "I mean.....you stare at your newborn kid and out of sudden you come with a name. And then twenty years down the line it turns out it's very fitting for what he or she does for the living and/or as a hobby. What are the odds?!" stallion pointed out. "....I guess in the hindsight, it's no harm with that. Still, I am not fond of the idea of some mysterious force pulling the strings with my thoughts." Swift mused, clearly unhappy where his line of though has led him.

"Hmmmm...." Swift muttered. What Fire said made much sense....However.

"I be honest dear. I am not too fond with an idea of having a wedding banquet in Ponyville. The place tends to be bit...rowdy reputation. And is a magnet for trouble at that. And while I am certainly fond of the former..." he said with a wink to his fiancee "...and it's our job to deal with later, I think such day should be a break from both. At least until wedding night." unicorn explained.

"I was rather thinking about some town completely unassociated with either of our families, a neutral ground so to speak. Known but also remote. Not to big either, nothing like Stalliongrad or Las Pegasus. Perhaps someplace in the Germaney or Itaily?" Squall pondered aloud before pausing.

".....And I guess we will have a number of guest anyway right? Your family is quite big, and my extended one is huge as well....although I will settle with Pretzy as well as imminent family. Oh and Blueblood too as well. Oh geez...there are also all you acquaintances from the Academy isn't it? And your new Boss. As well as my employees. And our comrades from EPIC. And our friends....I guess it would be rude not to invite Sigrun since she sent invitations to us as well..."  Swift continued, his shoulders sinking lower and lower with each sentence, until he gave a resigned sigh and buried his face in his front hooves.

"There is NO CHANCE for this to stay small, isn't it?" he asked rhetorically, obviously annoyed by the realization that came to him.

“I put the blame on Zelda and Dunder.", the red Pegasus pony said with a smirk, "The black bird got me hooked on her beloved 'Rockwington Madness Sauce' and Dunder used all kinds of hot spices in his meals.", her old friend was skilled in Mexicolt cooking. "I usually would take along a small bottle of hot stuff with me if I had to eat at one of the fancier Canterlot restaurants as well." Cuisine in the Canterlot capital tended to look very pretty but taste like paper. Thank Princess Celestia's perfect flank that they usually had an assortment of food wagons near the base during lunchtime. The mess hall had never been the same after Sergeant Greasy Spoon retired to make 'Haute Cuisine' on a luxury airship.

"And I still can't figure out how those girls find the time." Fire Walker was confounded as she could barely do one job at times. "Applejack has a farm...She minds a younger sister, an elderly grandmother, a new baby and teaches at that new school of theirs and also travels the world. Lady Rarity runs an successful high end chain of clothing stores...She also personally creates most of the dresses she sells...She also works at the school. Attends trade shows.  And the others are just the same...Whew.", she huffed, "I'm happy with one job. I get time to sleep, to spend time with friends and family, and also to tend to the needs of my stallion....Whatever those might be.", she added with a smile that would make Inkbrand blush.

The new Captain let out a chuckle, "You got me....Punk got me one of those 'word a day' calendars for last Hearth's Warming Eve. I believe today's word was 'Analogous'." That meant similar or alike in such a way as to permit the drawing of an analogy. And names. Those always intrigued her. Fluttershy's name always bothered her. The flutter part made sense, but the shy? How did they know that? Thankfully. she later learned that the beautiful Pegasus pony's parents were very sweet, very sweet and incredibly shy ponies. As usual, she did have a brother that was completely different. He reminded her of Punk Walker. She was surprised they never met. Yet.

"Oh right." There was that wedding! She had the invitation somewhere. It was going to be nice to see the impressive Caribou and her gorgeous hubby to be..Not to mention her adorable son. Guy will grow up to be quite the heart-breaker. "As for our wedding's size...We will just have to see what the parents think....And I still need to meet yours...Considering the marriage...And the fact that you've met pretty much everypony in my family...From my crazy parents....My siblings...Cousins...I think....Thankfully not Dog Walker as he's a bit of a weirdo...And Rocky-Gee...Who has probably gone full wererabbit by now....Gods my family is weird."

"And nope.", she added, "It's going to be huge.."
Spoiler

OOC: Whoops Fire repeated herself. And meh. An't gonna change it..too tired.

Archived