a bright and Discord-y day

QueenCerali

As the sun rose, shedding its warm light across the land, an earth pony mare with an olive coat trotted down the path from Ponyville to the little cottage she shared with her wife, the sunlight reflecting off of the purple streaks in her mostly brown mane. Taffy hummed cheerfully, her saddlebags bulging from her shopping trip. Her wife, a pegasus with a purple coat and black mane, stood on their porch waving a hoof to welcome her. As she trotted up, Kala opened the door and helped her carry the bags inside. 
"what'd you get?" the pegasus inquired as she set the bags on the counter.
Taffy shrugged, unpacking a few of them and taking out a box of peaches. "...figured I could try baking a cobbler!" she said, then frowned as Kala winced. "I'm not that bad at cooking. besides, I'm getting better. I promise you, you'll enjoy this one!"

He was an ageless tyrant. Demure and degrading his opposites could be as positive as his negatives, and just as shocking as his magical prowess. Wizened in knowledge along, his madness was as clear as mud, and as opaque as glass. But how could one understand his ways? Days, weeks, months, and eons had made the prevailing eminence of chaos nigh from normal, readable. The things he sought seemed without reason, the way he behaved was with utter disregard. Discord was not often without want. He was wont in many ways. He desired  much, and made distinct habit to take as he pleased. 

But… as eons dwindled to months, and months shrank to weeks, only for days to remain the spirit had slowed downn. Friends, companions, and… well once a solid rock on an island of pudding he had become disingenuous to its original purpose. Where he had sought to make fools of a pair of princesses… he now sat in wonder of new ideas and games. Between friends, best friends and associates: how did one become a special somepony to another. There were many sorts of relationships that ponies seemed keen to observe, but Discord had naught but experience with two of the many. As such he was displeased in his incomprehension when it came to this particular mortal providence. 

An irony, to be sure.

The spirit often took to visiting Ponyville. It was no great pleasure to be among the clodhopping,  rustic pony. But it was not without interest. While visiting Fluttershy, or goading the other Mane into playing his games for a day he sometimes lay about and pony-watched. Ponies passed, played, and it was often little surprise to find the god of chaos tumbled in a mass of his own coils reading a book in the shade or napping. It was perhaps quite some time since the chaotic chimera could cobble a comfortable coexistence with ponekind. Or maybe the sheer, dishonest, curiosity of a god out of touch with mortals. 

Plain nosy is what it more seemed.

Hating being out of the rung, or studious in their rituals: the observant mage wanting…

…a little more.

He had come to rest in a nearby tree, peering into the windows of the humble home. His parts dangled and ears sat pricked: the price to pay for snooping was visibility. His chin rest on his paw and the question of how long he was there was best left… unasked. "A cobbler, my that sounds tasty. " he cooed, ears pinning back. "Perhaps I should join. I do know a thing or two about cooking a grandiose meal fit for a king!" He'd nearly hiss with laughter as a claw pressed to his feathered chest, welling with insidious amusement.

He moved to slither down the tree like a raccoon: headfirst, only to vanish as he rounded a bend. Reappearing perched on his haunches, just behind Taffy, his tail's furry tuft of white made move to raise up a flap of her saddlebag to spy on the goods gained in shopping. Is that a time lord in your house - or are you just happy to see me?

He chuckled. "Passing by, I became quite curious at the  mention of pie." How close was he passing, to hear the inquires of baking from outside? 

Well… no matter.

Was it time to panic or praise the deceitful king of chaos?

• 2 weeks later...

Taffy spun around, the wrench she'd been pulling out of a bag swinging towards Discord's face as she responded on pure instinct to the intruder. Kala just stared, stunned by the appearance of a draconequus in their home. "H-hi..." she said in a dazed voice, then squeaked as she saw Taffy's wrench about to collide with the Lord of Chaos's skull.

u80WuYXs.png

The spirit did have a habit of popping up in places he wasn't welcomes. In Ponyville he generally kept to himself. The Friendship palace was the princesses' domain and often Discord's playground. It was the idea that he stayed there, away from the average pone. But, unfortunately, the castle was often empty. It sis not have the guard corps like Canterlot Castle sis and it certainly lacked the business of the Crystal Empire's castle. He got bored and sometimes visited ponies to play games or to disrupt their daily lives. After all he was the spirit of chaos and confusion. Today the mares would be victim to his shenanigans, simply sue to the interest hr had in their relationship. After he has never seen reason behind such a coupling!

Twas not the first he's seen of such an innovative relationship, but he wanted to know why and how it worked.

When the spirit perched himself on the table for dramatics. Go big or go home, after all. The mass of muscle and coil had planted himself on the table's surface in a way that the majority of his torso was laid across it. His paw rest on the surface, soft pads keeping him from sliding off. His claw supported his cheek, beard goofily curled to contrast his grey fur. His Pegasus and Aerion wing were splayed out, the talons on the end of either of them: clutching the table's edge.

The rest of his coils spooled down so his rump was planted on a chair. His hoof and talon were settles flat on the chair, the gripping claws that tipped the reptilian limb gripping the wooden stool. His odd-toed, ungulate hoof was longer than the crocodilian limb, so dangled off the side. His red scaled dragon's tail spilled onto the floor. The puffy, white tuft at the end of his tail was smooth, puffed out a bit. He exhaled to greet the stupefied ponies, but his ears pricked up as one looked to assault him with a wrench! 

He arched his back as the wrench came hurtling toward his face. The chaotic spirit reacted as any lord of chaos would. A large, metal knight's helm manifested over his skull. The wrench would become limp and rubbery upon contact. Discord used his claw to push up the helmet's mask, mismatched, ruby eyes blinking. His head curled back as his paw and stomach kept him propped on the table top.

"Oh dear. You may want to be careful with such dangerous things." He warned with a chuckle as he moved to sit back, more properly, on the seat. "Well these aren't faces I've seen before~" He cooed 

• 4 weeks later...

Taffy stared at her wrench. "...fix it or I will do far worse things to you than smack you in the face" she assured the anarchic entity. That wrench had been expensive! The things she did for quality tools...

Kala cleared her throat. "We, ah, recently moved in." she explained, guessing that threatening a being like this one might not be the brightest idea - though she didn't doubt her partner's tenacity in a fight under such circumstances. "We used to live at the orphanage. I'm Kala, and that's my wife, Taffy Warmheart" she said, waving a hoof at her spouse as she introduced them. "And you are...?"

6SMi1qDG.png

The spirit was always the most difficult to expect. While the things Pinkie pie did were -- expected of her and not a surprise when she did it, sometimes the old spirit behaved in a way no pony expected: like helping Granny Smith across the street, or reading a book rather than eating it. He did his job if he could leave ponies looking at something old, in a new way. Down with convention, up with shenanigans. Discord blinked at the aggressive mare. He raised a paw as he blinked, head leaning back. He had such a comical look, but he also was not expecting for the mare to outright threaten him for a joke. He grinned and moved to snap his claws, returning the wrench to its original state, a pink ribbon upon it. 

"My, you ponies get more and more violent with each passing day." He tittered. Looking to the other mare his ears folded back. "The orphanage?" how curious.

He floated up off the chair, the twisted creature presenting the whole his magnanimous glory. Really he was a thing of artistic beauty only higher beings could appreciate. After all where could you find so many parts on one pony and expect them to be functional?! He folded his paw behind his back, curling forward as he floated mid-air with such ease. Most Unicorns had to put quite the effort into levitating, but he did so not only with the lack of a horn, but with such ease that it put the most talented wizards to shame. His tail curled up and his claw came to rest against his feathered chest as he gave a polite bow.

"You can call me Discord, local prince of chaos at your service." Or disservice as it was. "Actually today, for one day only, I am going from door to door in Ponyville, offering my services as a lord of chaos." Which seemed, at face value, some sort of rare and extravagant deal! "Are you ponies new? I haven't seen you around." Delicate were his words to prevent any sort of forward thinking questioning. He much enjoyed socializing with these ponies when the fancy hit him.

Were it up to him he would stay latched to Fluttershy at all hours but it was 'unhealthy' to form a dependent attachment to a 'element of harmony' and he was 'a really old adult' he should learn to get along on his own. Bah! Humbug.

• 2 months later...

Taffy scowled at Discord as Kala nodded. "Yeah, we grew up in an orphanage" she said, waving a hoof in place vaguely, not sure what else to say. They both blinked as the wrench reverted to its original state, and the olive-coated mechanic eyed it suspiciously for a moment before removing the bow and setting the tool on the table. "Well, hello Discord!" Kala said, her voice containing a forced cheerfulness as she stared at their strange visitor. She stammered for a moment at the explanation he gave his presence, though Taffy raised an eyebrow. Taffy had already decided she didn't much care for Discord: he'd messed with her tools.
"We are fairly new, I guess." the mechanic said. "At least, to the world outside the orphanage. And.... we don't get out all that much, other than for shopping. We prefer to stay here, with each other." 
Kala sat at the table, thinking about the Spirit's statement that he was "offering his services as lord of chaos". what did he mean by that?

(1. I'm rusty
 2. They're both still rather stunned at the appearance of a draconequus in their house x3)

6SMi1qDG.png

It was always a bit of a troublesome prospect. Did one simply toss the nosy spirit out and risk whatever wrath he was capable of, or did one entrust the, wholly, that the princess of Friendship knew what she was doing when one of the Elements openly invited the spirit to reform? It was always a difficult question on how to deal with him, though it would seem Fluttershy had written the book on it, keeping him balanced, but neither forcing him to change the basis of who he was. He was far too stubborn for the latter anyway. Plus who wanted to go against something with such sharp teeth and a perchance for causing mischief?

He settled himself above the chair as he leaned forward to press the elbow of his forelimb on a non-existent surface. He looked down as the mares seemed to struggle with their decision to entertain him or not.His eyes turned down to the pair, as gritted teeth forced the greeting, his own lips curling back at the response. It was not as if he sought to pester ponies, but it did seem to irritate them when he disrupted the natural cycle of their day. If they are just newly moved to Ponyville -- they'd just have to grow used to it! It'd be a shame if somepony --- intruded on their peace and quiet. 

Luckily he wasn't a pony.

"Seeing as you're new to town," The spirit vanished, appearing a few steps away in a safari outfit, topped with cap! In his paw and claw he held out a folded map, pulling out the accordion folded paper. It was too much map as it spilled out into the kitchen practically filling the room with the chart! "I'm here to be your guide! As in accordance to my promise to do at least one helpful thing a day to help along my reformation it is my absolute duty to inform you of the dangers you'll now be facing living in Ponyville!" Oh -- joy...

The map vanished, as did his outfit, leaving the gregarious chimera floating in their living space. He circled them a few times before landing beside them. His hoof and talon touched ground, the graceful serpentine beast sitting arched and proud like a grad dragon, though hardly any part of him seemed very dragon-like save for those teeth and that thick, red tail. As he stood there it became quite obvious he wasn't going to leave quietly into the at good afternoon, but it also seemed that he was more than willing to welcome them into town without much trouble. Ponyville was quite a large place and coming from such a secluded place like an orphanage there was quite a bit to learn about the town and about its resident god.

"What do you say? We'll be neighbors for a long time coming..." Was he up to something? Well he was usually.

Kala shook her head as Discord began to speak. She wasn't being a very good host - and he hadn't even really done anything wrong! Her train of thought was suddenly interrupted as she saw the chart the Spirit was holding begin to cover. She stared at it for a moment, before forcibly reminding herself of what he did to Taffy's wrench. This might have been strange, but it was nothing to gawk at.
Taffy, meanwhile, was nodding cautiously, still not trusting of the discordant deity who had intruded upon their peaceful lives.
Kala thought about it for a moment, then shrugged, and smiled again. This time, her smile wasn't quite as forced - she was actually looking forward a little to seeing what he'd do. "Okay, Discord!" she said. "What shall we learn first?"

6SMi1qDG.png

The spirit was charming, almost endearing. He spoke with eloquence, a voice that was smooth and rich like fine chocolate. Yet his body seemed something out of a fairy tale. The way his body parts mixed and matched. It was comparable to the enchanting, mismatching description of Longma. The attributes of power, pride and strength depicted by pulling parts of other beasts and painting a canvas with such a form -- it seemed all the known depictions throughout history had been mashed up into one beast, making them all correct in the long run. The elusive manner in which he presented his agenda was difficult to trust.

Yet they were always quite tempted in the way he described their unneeded requirements to participate. There was never an ultimatum. One either danced to his fiddle or one found themselves uncomfortably close to the disruption of their reality. He was not as vile as he had once been. But these two seemed fun. Double the trouble, as they said for those that came in pairs. They were new to Ponyville to add to the list which means they knew next to nothing of him. It was an opportunity to impress with his vast knowledge and charming insight of Ponyvillian's simple lives.

Since they agreed he cocked his head and gave a snap of his claws. In the blink of an eye they were posted in front of Sugarcube Corner. "You need to learn the most popular dives in Ponyville of course and a great place to get a chocolate milkshake." He teased, turning to the confectionary bakery. "This is where you'll run into the most colorful characters of Ponyville, myself included. I suggest the extra moist, double chocolate brownies first. And if you can move afterwards, I've got quite the spot for you." He would bow his head, offering them to step inside first.

Archived