The Shogun Wants YOU! (and you, and also you. Just everybody)

Zeig

Mbk40UP.png

The Shogun wants You! Can't you just see how excited he is?

With my new character being recently approved, the Shogun of Neighpon has been added to the RP boards - a young Ryuma by the name of Rakuen Ryuichi. Neighpon in an eastern country that boasts an impressive magitech force that is unrivaled by any other country, and balances tradition with ever increasing urbanization. The Shogun is the ruler of Neighpon, and looks to continue the prosperity of the country well into the future. And to do that, he's going to need help - lots and lots of help.

As a leader of a country, I'd love to be able to set up a lot of different relationships for Ryuichi - some purely for business, others more personal. Because many of these relationships require a full-time commitment to the position or to Neighpon herself, a lot of them will require completely new OCs to be made. You can't have an Equestrian farmer serving as one of Ryuichi's council members, after all! The commute itself would be murder. If you do decide you'd like to take on one of these relationships but don't really know what sort of character to make, then let me help you with it! Don't be afraid to ask me questions, or to ask for help. 

Side Note: Though Neighpon is a country to the far east, its population mainly consists of pony species. Kirins and Ryumas are most commonly found on Ryushima, where their ancestors separated from Long Guo to unite on the island. This isn't to say that you can't have a Kirin or Ryuma from another part of Neighpon, not at all - just be aware that the majority of the population is pony, so you shouldn't feel obligated to make a Kirin or Ryuma unless you want to~

In any event, here are some of the relationships I came up with for Ryuichi. As with all my relationship planning threads, these are not the only relationships I'm open to - if you have something in mind that you don't see on this list, don't hesitate to ask me about it! 

Shogunate - The administration under only the Shogun himself, the Shogunate acts both as an advisory force and as a governing body of office. Though the Shogun's word remains absolute, delegation of various matters is hoofed over to the Shogunate, with the Shogun overseeing everything. Thus does the Shogunate act both independently and as the Shogun's personal council. With much of Neighpon's success resting on the military prowess of the country, most of the members of the primary Shogunate are focused on the welfare and maintenance of Neighpon's military might, and are the ones that speak directly into the Shogun's ear. More on the various Offices and what they do here.

• Machi Bugyō  - The Grand Admiral. The highest authority along the military's chain of command, barring the Shogun himself, the Machi Bugyō is an extremely experienced veteran who has faithfully served in the military. He or she gives the Shogun counsel on military action, and is in charge of every branch of the Neighpon military. 

• Gijutsu-sha - The Tech Mage. A unicorn, kirin, or similar magical engineer which extreme expertise in the art of magitech. The Gijutsu-sha is responsible for overseeing the use of magitech, especially in regards to ethical concerns over new magitech developments, and advises the Shogun on which area of magitech to invest government capital into pursuing. 

• Ōmetsuke - The Overseer. The Ōmetsuke is involved in the monitoring and policing of high ranking city officials, including the daimyos of Ryushima and the various governors appointed to colonies. With the responsibility of keeping some of the most powerful individuals in Neighpon under control comes the dual-service of rooting out rebellion and disloyalty to Neighpon. The office of the Ōmetsuke thus has a shady reputation for subterfuge and government spying.

• Karasu - The Raven. Otherwise known as the Spymaster, the Karasu is a master of ninjutsu who operates behind the scenes to gather intel from both inside and outside of Neighpon. However, the Karasu also has a hidden history in committing acts of bribery, spying, and outright silencing, in order to advance the will of the Shogun and Neighpon. In times when the Karasu's more questionable services are not required, he or she uses a network of intelligence to gather delicate information, for better or for worse.

• Gaikoku Bugyō - The Ambassador. Though Neighpon is a self-sufficient country with the tendency to rely solely on herself, the Shogunate is not blind to the need of the Shogun to maintain political ties with foreign countries. The Gaikoku Bugyō is the utmost advisor on all foreign affairs, and often personally travels to different lands to act as an ambassador and diplomat for Neighpon. 

• Hatamoto - The Honored. A position that once held great political meaning, the Hatamoto is a peerless samurai who has been honored by the Shogun as an exemplar of Neighpon. In the present time, the position holds no power in and of itself. However, the Hatamoto is looked upon with great respect, and serves as a physical symbol of the inclusion of ancient traditions in the future of Neighpon. 

The Family of the Shogun - Though not strictly mentioned in Ryuichi's application, there is more than enough opportunity in his history for siblings and other family members. Ryuichi was the first born son, but many others might have been born after him, up until his mother's death - so siblings ranging from young stallions/mares right down to infant foals are applicable. His father is also still around, and as the husband of the previous Shogun, retains a position of respect in the Palace Castle, though he holds no power in and of himself. 

(Update: The immediate family of the Shogun is now closed! If you're interested in some sort of relative, let me know, but there will be no other OCs that are Neighponese royalty and an official part of the Shogun's family.)

The Shogun's Household - Every ruler needs a retinue of servants to attend his every bidding, and Ryuichi is no exception. Servants, cooks, post, scribes, librarians, entertainers, minor counselors - you name it, there's probably a position for it! 

The Shīrudo - Meaning 'shield', the Shīrudo is the Shogun's personal bodyguard - after all, he may have entire armies at his disposal, but a pony in Ryuichi's position can never be too careful. The Shīrudo stands watch over the Shogun at all times, and is someone that Ryuichi trusts implicitly. The two of them have a very close relationship, akin to siblings, and his bodyguard is one of the few ponies Ryuichi drops all pretenses with and is able to fully relax around if they are by themselves. The Shīrudo is also the Head of the Guard, a position that oversees all the guards stationed within the Palace Castle. 

Raijū's Caretakers - Named after a beast from folklore that was said to descend from the sky during great lightning storms, Ryuichi's personal golem requires intensive care from an entire team of trained and experienced individuals. The Kansei is in charge of the whole team, while various duties are divided amongst the ponies. While Ryuichi is the construct's ultimate master, Raijū's care taking team works closely with the goliath in order to keep it in prime condition. The Kansei, in particular, is the only pony that has been specially permitted to issue it battle commands, in order to test its power usage, compatibility, and learning curve. 

IvthX7N.png

Hot Springs Owner - Though there are undoubtedly artificial hot springs in the privacy and security of the Palace Castle, there's simply no imitating the original. Ryuichi used to spend time in time around Mount Kaminichi as a foal, and still rarely as an adult. I like to think there was a particular hot springs/inn he paid favor too, and got to know the owner before he became able to spend less and less time there. He might have even hidden his identity in order to enjoy the hot springs like the average tourist...never mind the bodyguard that never strays too far from his side.  

Potential Bride-to-Be - As with any pony in such a position, the issue of securing the line of succession becomes paramount the older Ryuichi gets. Thus are mares often brought into his presence as potential consorts, to become the future bride of the Shogun. Hopeful mares are able to present themselves voluntarily and at will, though some mares of notable beauty, lineage, or status are specifically sought out by the Palace Castle and humbly asked to present themselves as a potential bride. Even if the Shogun finds favor with a mare however, she is not immediately forced to become his bride. The two spend some (carefully supervised) time together over a long courting process, in order to determine compatibility and devotion. 

Golem Trainer Idol - Ryuichi has a particular love for Golems and the Polohama Dome. A veteran Golem Trainer (or a newly rising prodigy) is sure to have perked his interest during his youth, and further into his adult years. No doubt he would have invited said trainer back to the Palace Castle on several occasions, the two of them perhaps even becoming friends over years of interaction with one another.

Foalhood Friends and Acquaintances - After the appearance of his cutie mark, Ryuichi began spending more time out of the Palace Castle alongside his mother. He could have potentially met and befriended any number of other characters at some point or another, forming lasting friendships with some. It is most likely that a foalhood friend was someone who was raised inside the Palace Castle alongside him (the child of a servant, for example, or a high ranking noble) but not entirely necessary. Said foalhood friend could even be his present day bodyguard, or could simultaneously fill another position on his staff.

Military Friends and Acquaintances - Ryuichi spent two years in the military, and though he was kept stationed safely in Kyoma and safely out of harm's way, he would have undoubtedly made some friends while he was essentially "just one of the guys". He served in the Air forces of the Neighpon military, but could have easily mingled within the other branches. 

Dissenters - While most have accepted the new Shogun with little fuss, there are some who call his overall lack of experience into question, and feel the Ryuma far too young to be in such a powerful positions. Others still are discontent with seeing a Ryuma or Kirin on the Seat of the Shogun at all, and consider it an insult to the, by far and large, pony population that founded the country to begin with. What any dissenters might be planning to do about their concerns, however, is a mystery, and entirely up to you...

Phew! Okay, that's it...for now

Questions? Comments? Concerns? Gratuitous applause? Direct them all at me, please!

Here are the characters that players are so far interested in apping/taking, so you guys can see who's already working on what:

Spoiler

The Primary Shogunate:

Machi Bugyō - Akuma Hantā

Gijutsu-sha - Shiroi Boshi

Hatamoto - Tsuyo Yamabushi

Ōmetsuke - Ishi Masayoshi

Gaikoku BugyōAegis Ura

Karasua - Iseiaisha

Offices of the Shogunate:

Shīrudo - Sandā "Raikō" Kumo

Royal Family:

Father - Akarui Yozora

Younger brother (second oldest sibling) - Ishi Masayoshi

Younger sister - Jiyūna Soyokaze

Raijū's Team:

Kansei - Taiyou Hibana

Misc Connections:

Golem Trainer Idol - Hoshi “Nagareboshi” Shirogane

Dissenters:

Revolutionary - Akairo Hoshi

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Never mind, I think I figured out what I want. I'm gonna go for the bodyguard position, probably gonna make her the child of either the previous army shogunate or the previous bodyguard, so they'll have prior connection too. 

-rubs hands together-

Yes, yes...my first victim test subject friend...

Just as an aside though, the bodyguard is a position that I'm going to be a bit picky about. He or she holds a very special place as Ryuichi's closest confidant, so there's got to be compatibility between the two of them. 

But otherwise, go nuts! There are a couple positions that I really want to see apped, but I'll keep them to myself...unless someone specifically asks~

(I'll also probably try drawing some of these characters if I can manage it, just because I'm a visual person and I'd like to see what some of ponies closest to Ryuichi look like).

Concerning a new OC, I've been envisioning for some time a Grand Admiral sort of character who'd be a perfect fit for your Machi Bugyō position. It'll be some time though before I can get around to apping her. As for existing OCs:

Empress Yuè: With her and Ryuichi both being the children of rulers, I imagine they might have met when one of their royal parents dragged them off on a state visit to the other country. Although Yuè disappeared from public/social life to undergo spiritual training, she's back with a vengeance as the unexpected Empress, having grown in wisdom, passion... and beauty. And as it just so happens, she's also scouring the Eastern Lands for suitors-to-be. Should Ryuichi desire it, he can join the pool of Yuè's suitors (although they'd have to work out the logistics of them being sovereign rulers of their own lands).

Yamabushi: Maybe as a character arc goal, he can one day fill in that Hatamoto position. For the time being though, he lives in self-imposed exile as a ronin, toiling to restore his honor. Since Yamabushi was a decorated war hero though, there's a good chance that Ryuichi and/or his predecessor might be acquainted with him.

Morianna Razorclaw: Matriarch of the House of Razorclaw and Director of Aquellia's shadowy Agency of Strategic Intelligence, she can be a powerful overseas ally to Ryuichi..... assuming of course, he believes that dangerous threats are to be dealt with decisively, and without compromise.

That's all I got for now! ^_^

35 minutes ago, Bellosh said:

-snip-

-rubs hands together-

Yes, yes...my second victim test subject ahem.

I can totally see Yue and Ryuichi having met at various instances, probably enough to be well acquainted with one another but still be in the "we have to act formal still we're not allowed to be familiar yet" stage, but I don't see Ryuichi becoming a suitor. He's the ruler of Neighpon for one - he's got mares trying to court him, or at the least vying for his attention, so he's got a plethora of potential (and more 'controllable') brides to pick from. Plus, I doubt the Shogunate would approve, because of that very logistic you pointed out. 

Though, who's to say some genuine feelings might not rise up anyways, despite the wishes of the Shogunate... -insert eyebrow waggle-

Yamabushi would make a really good fit for the Hatamoto, too, though as you mentioned he's currently in exile. If you want, maybe Ryuichi was all prepared to declare him the Hatamoto before his dishonorable expulsion came to light, but he puts off naming another Hatamoto because he really likes Yamabushi, and secretly believes he will redeem himself and return home in honor. In that case, then would both he and his mother would have gotten to know him fairly well before Yamabushi left. 

And ah, yes, the ever lovely Morianna...Ryuichi does indeed have no problem dealing with dangerous threats decisively, though I'm not sure about the compromise part. He'll want to do it as painlessly as possible for sure - but if no other options are available, he's all for the best option of the worst. If Morianna can take that, then I think the two of them shall be best of friends...

-so much hand rubbing-

5 minutes ago, Zeig said:

Though, who's to say some genuine feelings might not rise up anyways, despite the wishes of the Shogunate... -insert eyebrow waggle-

Ah, there's nothing quite like forbidden attachments, heh heh heh. I'd love to have Yuè unwittingly test Ryuichi's willpower (and maybe her own as well). :mad:

@Yamabushi: Sounds good to me!

@Morianna: Mori will accept all solutions that don't involve simply locking something up in a magical prison and hoping it doesn't escape in a thousand years (I'm looking at YOU, royal pony sisters).

Haha, well!  I think we already know what Akairo Hoshi's opinion of the Shogunate is, though unless he follows lower-tier professional baseball, it's unlikely Rakuen would have ever heard of her.  Of course, if his intel ponies are stringent enough, perhaps her name once arrived on his desk in a memo.

As for characters to app... I've been knocking around a few ideas for the Gijustu-sha.  Sort of a 'White-hat hacker' figure, who has a talent for exploiting vulnerabilities in complicated constructs.  She would have a strong emphasis on increasing investment in security protocols, spell encryption, and low-tech backups in case everything goes wahooni-shaped.

1 hour ago, PrinceBlueblood said:

-snip-

I'm sure Akairo only thinks the most flattering of thoughts for her beloved homeland...

-glances shiftily about-

I'll leave it up to you, at how well known she is. If you want her to have some notoriety, then Ryuichi will most likely have at least heard of her. But if you want her to be more of an enigma (at least until the Karasu sniffs her out...) then he won't have heard of her. 

And aaaaaw yiss. The Mage Tech is one of the positions I was hoping someone would take, considering how important magitech is to Neighpon. Now they'll be able to hack all the countries~

I'm going to start a list of characters/positions that people are interested in filling at the bottom of the first post, so that everyone has a concise list of what people are interested in and/or working on. That way if traffic (hopefully) picks up, wires won't get crossed!

Aaaaand first artwork is done!

NvMo7ES.png

PyroBlaze's character, who's physical features have already been decided upon...though I'm assuming her cutie mark may change, depending on which position she'll actually fill. But that'll be an easy fix. I think I'm just going to wait a bit and see if anyone else is interested in the bodyguard position.

But in any case, the basic features of the character are done! She's suppose to be physically impressive, so bulkier/stockier than I normally draw ponies. But I gave it my best shot, darnit! 

kdXX74h.png

Bellosh's character, who at some point is going to be filling the position of the Grand Admiral! Man, I am flying through these characters, just hope I can keep up the inspiration~

(I will also be uploading these to my gallery later, but for now I'm just being lazy here.)

1 hour ago, Bellosh said:

You wouldn't mind drawing random character art for Empress Yue's roster too, would you? :lol:

*flees for the hills!*

*stares at*

QMMS7Cc.png

Dio's character finished, who is the Kansei of Raijū's caretaking team! She actually has another tattoo on her front right leg, but the jacket saved me prevented me from drawing it. 

Last but not least will be PrinceBlueblood's character...unless some other people want to join into Ryuichi's circle of companions...

*coughs pointedly*

RiUJMKe.png

Ryuichi is definitely going to be surrounded by interesting characters, that's for sure...

PrinceBlueblood's filling in the Technomancer position on the Shogunate, and just going by physical appearance, you can tell she's going to be a  doozy...just wait 'til you all hear what's going on with her hair~

Yay, more people!

Someone else actually privately asked me if they could app the Karasu before you made your post, Ciraxis, but you also posted publicly. I've opened up a chat room for all of us so that we can hopefully work everything out!

Would the Shogan like to make some deals with Eclipse Aerospace Laboratories? Don't be fooled by the name though, they do more than just aerospace, and they are currently heavily researching magitech. They are also known for taking military contracts.

And would the Shogan like to have a good firendship with the Dutches of Fetloch. Set up trade agreements, or perhaps just set something up for personal luxuries.

-looks up from spreading tar pits all around the OOC thread-

Yay, even more people! I didn't even need to use the bear traps...

@moonshineTheleocat I doubt the Shogunate would allow a foreign-based company to make their equipment, seems like a colossal breach of security. They might be in contact/communication with them though, for research purposes. PrinceBlueblood's Tech Mage character would most likely be responsible for organizing and maintaining that connection!

Also, you'll have to remind me who the Duchess of Fetlock is and what she does? This sounds like something a member of the Shogunate probably would set up and maintain, but Ryuichi will also probably have at least heard of her, maybe met her once or twice if she ever traveled to Kyoma. 

@Pretzelpony Sounds good to me! A golem trainer prodigy would probably be someone the Shogunate would support as a potential bride, too - I imagine Golem Trainers (the good ones, of course!) are veritable celebrities in Neighpon, so having one become the Shogun's wife would be good publicity and symbolism/modernism, a kind of "hey look the Shogun's wife doesn't just sit around on her butt all day, she's got a career of her own" sort of thing.

The Dutchess of Fetloch is a one eyed  mare named Star Breezer. She has a long standing in Military action, as she's also the acting captain for the REA calvary stationed there. She's well known for being brazen, and lacking a sense of refinement that is typical of nobles in Equestria. She's also known for making terribly suggestive comments, and hitting on both mares and stallions alike.

As for her influence? She a good sizable portion of Fetloch is under her hoof. While she does collect taxes, she tries to be as noninvasive as possible. Most of the collected tax money is invested further into Fetloch's growth. She has a high standing in setting up trade agreements, and education.. She gives little thought for politics, however that does not remove alliances from play. She will gladly deploy a swift response team from her ranks to provide assistance, though it would not be the full force without confirmation from higher up the ranks. But hey, it's the boys that turned the Crystal Tower attack on it's head and drove the rogue caribous out.

And unlike the REA guards, who seem to act mostly as a canterlotian constabulary. The REA Calvary is actually trained explicitly for quick mobilization and ground combat in the case of the event of war or an invasion.

Annnnnd she doesn't mind sharing some of her own personal tactics

Archived