The Shogun Wants YOU! (and you, and also you. Just everybody)

Zeig

Works for me! Leo is actually very good at calligraphy, compiling information, poetry, and is skilled with bladed weapons from her training when she was younger. I'm thinking I'll just make this version possess a katana, because her normal bladestaff would be very unwieldy at her smaller stature. Martial prowess, upkeep personal military equipment. She's also a keen strategist when she has a mind to be, though normally that's turned toward how to get food and drink without paying for it. Free dumplings are best dumplings after all.

When the situation calls for it, she's actually an excellent cook and practitioner of traditional Eastern hospitality. Due to her high interest in the culture during her younger days, she studied it intently. Though she'll often make a grand display of it, she quite enjoys brewing sake and formal method of serving it to friends.

She's proficient in other areas as well, but those are the main ones that spring to mind. Get her invested in something and she's a prodigy. The true trick is gaining the interest in the first place.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Update on the Primary Shogunate!

It's been over half a year since this thread became active, so I'm officially opening up the Karasu position again for anyone who's interested. Ciraxis has had some real life obligations interfering with RPing (*shakes fist of impotent rage at real life*) so while he's still interested, he's been unable to make any progress. And since it's been a fair amount of time, I don't want the position to remain closed off in case anyone else is interested in it.

SO. If you are interested, lemme know in this thread!

I should probably mention this here at some point, but have a Karasu app currently in the planning stages.

I'm not going to try to lay claim to the position yet though, if someone else comes up with a character for that position before me, I'm pretty sure I can modify mine to fit another role.

• 1 month later...

I'm still working on my Karasu app.  It's nearing completion, and I have vague hopes of getting it done this weekend.

That's not really the same as having claim to the role though.  I'm sure we can work something out.  If nothing else, I think whoever doesn't get the role can still be high up in the organization.

As a possible solution, @Zeig how would you feel if the ambassador position had a fair amount of intrigue and some espionage?

Nah, the Ambassador has to be squeaky clean. He/she is the connection between Neighpon and other nations after all, he/she has to be on the straight and narrow. That's not to say that a specific ambassador might not have some intrigue and shady stuff they're involved in, but the office/position itself isn't something that would involve any low key, espionage stuff.

I've held positions before for others, so since @DerpRavener stated his/her intent early on and has been steadily working on an application, I'm giving precedence to him/her. Sorry Solaria! 

Realistically...to be honest, unless someone pitched a really great idea that got me crazy excited about another sibling, I think I'd want to leave it at just Ishi and Kaze. Can't have too Neighponese royals running around causing mischief and mayhem!

Honestly I was milling around with the idea of a sort of middle child, because you've got the two older boys and you've got the adorable baby sister. What about a teen that maybe is still reeling from the death of the mom and because she's a teen just acts out or doesn't communicate in a good way to get her feelings across?

Mmm...I think I like Ryuichi's family the way it is right now, sorry Mudbug. It's probably because I'm part of a trio of siblings myself, so I'm naturally biased towards them (though I'm the middle child in that regard!)

Is it too late to apply for the Gaikoku Bugyō or Ambassador position?

I've had in mind an ambassador character in which to put together for a while, in large part inspired by a real person in both personality and even in capabilities. Admittedly though, the one I am thinking of isn't and ambassador but simply one good with talking with others, having a likable charm and passionate, with an amazing singing voice with songs in many languages, while being famous and well known even well outside his place of birth.

I just haven't had the chance to put him together.

Heya @EquestrianScholar

The Ambassador position still hasn't been filled yet (which kind of surprises me, I thought that would've been one of the firsts to go). The Primary Shogunate positions are pretty important though, and I've never RPed with you (looks like you're an older user returning to the site for some good 'ol pony RP? If so, welcome back!)

Are you okay with the idea of another character replacing yours if you ever leave the site/go inactive? Like I said, the Primary Shogunate positions are all important (both for the world/setting and for RP for Ryuichi, my Shogun guy) so if any of the RPers go inactive, I'd probably let other players step up to fill those roles. (And I'm talking like, several months of inactivity with no responses to PMs or chat messages, not a day or two of you not being around or anything like that). If you're okay with that, then I'd be a-okay with you apping an Ambassador (and Neighpon can finally have a full roster!)

As for the character himself, he has to be a citizen of Neighpon and have served in the Office of the Ambassador for at least four years (unless something tragic occurred, such as the old Ambassador was caught in the Kaiju attack that killed a lot of the old Shogunate members. More info in Ryuichi's history!). Also he doesn't have to be a Kirin or Ryuma since Neighpon is mostly populated by the pony species, but you're certainly welcome to make him one if you want! Think that's pretty much it. If you're okay with all of that, then I say go for it!

@Zeig

I find that more then fair, especially since I can understand the importance of staying active with important or even canon characters. On MLP Forums I have, and hopefully will again very soon, been the official roleplayer of Princess Celestia so I have experience and understanding of the importance of what you mention. If I disappear or am inactive for to long I will completely understand if you find someone else.

I will make sure to keep updates on how active I can be on any given day or week and generally offers ways of getting a hold of me. You will learn that I am not generally the sort to simply disappear, at least not if I have responsibilities or duties to a site or group. More, when I put forth the effect of creating a new OC I don't like to have them go to waste.

I will make sure that he is a citizen of Neighpon and has served in the Office of the Ambassador for a few years, at least four. I may offer, if you allow, that the old Ambassador was perhaps a family member or respected mentor figure as that could lead to some strong motivation on why my character took to such a path. Admittedly, it could also be simply his respect for the Shogun as well but it is nice to allow for a few influences when coming up with a character's background.

Also, yes. I am an older member returning for some good ol' roleplaying.

@EquestrianScholar

Oh no, there's no need to keep updates or give me your schedule or anything like that! I even tend to disappear for days or a week at a time, sometimes! I'm talking more long-term, basically, if I notice you haven't posted anywhere on the forums or logged on at all for a couple months, then I might send a message asking how you're doing, etc. And even then, I might not, unless I'm planning a specific thread for Shogunate members and such. It's not so much that I want to ensure that all Shogunate RPers are active, it's more that there might come a time when I sincerely want all the members to be active so I can plan threads and stuff. That's all.

Really. I'm not looking to control anyone or demand people maintain a strict timeframe or anything like that. Sorry if I made it sound that way! In all honesty it probably won't even come down to that, because no one has expressed interest in the Ambassador at all up until this point. Absolutely no reason to replace a character if there's no one to replace him with, lulz.

That's fine if you want to make your guy a family member of the old Ambassador or something along those lines. Since said old Ambassador is out of the picture, you're pretty much free to use him however you want in your guy's background/history/family/whatever!

@Zeig

I didn't mean to imply that you were so controlling or might require one to post a certain number of times, I was just trying to assure that you don't have anything to worry about with me disappearing or not being active. I might have been a bit excess with with giving my assurances, but I wanted to try and put your worries to rest on giving me the position despite never roleplaying with me. You were just a bit concerned and uncertain.

I will try to make sure to be available if you have a big event or a roleplay where you need all or most Shogunate members, as that is most understandable especially since the role of Ambassador is so important.

I'm glad to hear my idea can be used, I will get started in created a Character Application for the Gaikoku Bugyō. I may though need help giving him an appropriate name or general advice involving the setting. I am also more then willing to check up on the official lore and any characters you might recommend me looking into. I will want to make sure he fits in appropriately and not seem out of place, with proper connections to other characters.

@EquestrianScholar

Okay, cool beans! That all sounds gravy to me~

(Speaking of, there's already a thread going on right now involving the Shogunate members and some friends, though it's entirely casual, set in a karaoke bar. Once your app is done I can link you to it, and you can feel free to join in if you'd like!)

Sure thing - if you have any questions on your character's position, or Neighpon in general, you can ask them here, or feel free to PM me. I'm also usually on the Discord server, though I'm also usually set to invisible, so you can just leave me a message/question there and I'll answer it soon as I can.

I just remembered I have an adopted pony I could use, which I haven't created a bio for. Perhaps she wouldn't be too out of place, and I could use her for this instance?

Spoiler

medium.png

A few extra details, her horn has a gold "cap" or cover over it and is simply decoration. She is a unicorn, but as can be seen with the strips on her legs she does have some zebra heritage in her family line. When originally conceived, her family was famous for their jewelry and gold making with her talent related to such as well, but this can be altered.

If she wont work here, I could perhaps use her in the other thread.

Ooh, she's a pretty one. I can see her fitting into the setting just fine, so long as she has the temperament/talent of an Ambassador. You know, the obvious things, like she can hold herself up in a conversation, knows how to reach out and make connections, keeps cool and level-headed, etc. So long as she's fit for the job, I don't see a problem with reworking her as Neighpon's Ambassador.

By the way - I probably should have done this earlier, but I've added a link to the OP. I wrote some unofficial lore about the government structure of Neighpon, that basically just repeats what's in the OP, but goes a bit more in-depth. 

(If you haven't visited that section of the forums yet, unofficial lore is basically lore that is not considered "canon" to the site except by the players who wrote their unofficial lore, and the players that follow it. Basically, you can choose whether or not to follow the unofficial lore that someone has written out about a certain subject).

@Zeig

Very nice, I am glad you like her. In personality, it is really whatever I make it to be.

Though it may well be changed to something more appropriate, her name is actually Aegis Ura. This can be altered to whatever is more appropriate for her being a Neighponese mare, but a interesting detail I want to keep is for the initials of her name to be "Au" which is Gold on the Periodic Table of Elements.

Not sure how we can do this, though perhaps something like Akemi Uchida. The first name meaning "beauty of dawn", though there is the question of if I want to do it surname first which may require that to start with A not the first.

I will take a look at the lore, since I know it will be important for the roleplay.

@EquestrianScholar

Just because she's Neighponese doesn't necessarily mean she'll need a Neighponese name, if you want to keep her name as Aegis Ura. There are several explanations why her parents might have named her that way - maybe they just wanted an exotic sounding name, maybe her family was originally from Equestria before they moved to and eventually became citizens of Neighpon, etc. So it's really just up to you if you want her to keep her name or want to change it into a Neighponese variant.

Personally, for my Long Guo and Neighpon characters, I go last name, first name in format, because the regions are based on China and Japan, respectively. BUT I also know some people name their characters first name, last name. Pretty much just up to personal preference, really. 

Archived