Light of my Life [Closed]

RexDraco

20161107_181821-1.jpg

Dusk only really let her stallion have the initiative to pay because she knew he thought such was proper, because if her beloved Lightning would get into trouble spending his bits like this she would subtly insist that she pay for it instead. Seeing as her husband did nearly anything to keep her happy and free from worry, he was fantastic like that.

"Yes dear, because if we can't find it in the market that means we would have to go into the Everfree Forest and then I'd need my armor and weapons just in case." nodding she headed out of the store into the sunny daylight again, it was such a very nice day to spend some time out of the house indeed. Ponyville, she had never guessed that she would end up living in such a bright and friendly little town.

Trotting towards the market once again with her stallion in tow she had to admit that all in all everything had gone well for the two of them and she was content.

• 3 weeks later...

EDnKd1mR.png

Lightning had been to Everfree once, long ago. The experiences in that forest had been traumatizing, leaving a deep scar. Paranoia often chewed away at the pegasus at night. Nightmares ate away at him on humid, summer nights. The visions of sharp toothed beasts with leathery wings haunted his dreams and the cuts they left still pepper the skin beneath his fur. He has a hard time dealing with removing himself from the anxiety caused by their former traveling companions. 

Those cultists would have sacrificed them.

After paying for the furniture and giving the address to the clerk where to deliver it he turned to Dusk. "Alright. I am.not too sure about Everfree... in your state..." He couldn't help in his mental state concerning the cursed woods. 

He wasn't sure what herbs she sought but he stick by her. He knew she was smart and could spot them has the vendors carried them. Before long it seemed clouds were gathering overhead. A storm? Or just a light, spring shower? Whatever it was they would have to make haste. Light looked to Dusk and made sure she was alright, keeping to her right side as they trotted along.

20161107_181821-1.jpg

Dusk didn't know about the anxieties her partner held towards the Everfree Forest or for that matter their former travel companions, she had been wounded badly back then so it had all been a haze. What she did know however was that Distant Lightning had stuck with her and had brought her home to Hollow Shades. And naturally things had hit off well enough that they now had to furnish their new home in Ponyville for themselves and their filly.

"You look a bit unnerved my love, is it because of that approaching storm? I do think we should have at least an hour left before it hits us don't you think? Or is there something else that bothers you my proud stallion?"

She gave him a gentle concerned look while she made way back to the market, a smile still on her muzzle though as she leaned against him to offer some love to her jittery husband.

• 4 weeks later...

EDnKd1mR.png

Lightning was hardly the sort to admit he was dismayed at such a prospects. It was hard enough to concede to his own deprecating thoughts that there sat a sickly paranoia at the pit of his stomach when it came to tales of his recent misadventures, but it was ever more unsettling to face the unwholesomeness that he was not worthy of standing by his special somepony. That, in and of itself, is what kept the fragile bird stitched together. Despite his fretting Lighting was more than capable of standing on his own two hooves through sheer bravado. It was this that sometimes played on the idea that the pegasus was arrogant, foolhardy. It was this false confidence that allowed him to fake it until he was able to make it.

When Dusk spoke up the flame-colored pegasui flustered, his fur and more downy plumage puffed out in panic. “What?!” He blurted out as his wings flapped,fumbling to catch his monocle when it popped out of place. “W-who me?! N-no!” Managing to catch the glass on the tip of his wing’s duclaw.

The visual adie was placed back on his muzzle. There was indeed a storm coming and if they did not hurry they would be caught in the torrential downpour. Being new residents they had not been made aware of the severity of the storm, to help aide in the overabundance of sun this summer. He followed her to market, shaking his head as he waited for her to make her search.

20161107_181821-1.jpg

Dusk headed back to the market and looked around the various stands that were still open and not preparing for the downpour later on, but she didn't find a potion seller. And not knowing if Ponyville had one she could always go inquire at the local hospital first later on, maybe that Redheart simply had them in stock? looking up she smiled apologetically at Lightning.

"I'm sorry love but the market doesn't seem to have what I require, I shall ask nurse Redheart after the storm passes or otherwise tomorrow if it proves too late in the evening. For now though shall we head somewhere or did you desire to return home?"

She left the choice for him to decide, it was always nice to see what her stallion could come up with.

• 1 month later...

EDnKd1mR.png

Lightning always found himself having to appraise a situation rather than act upon it with instinct.. Ever since moving out here he has become more aware that there were certain tasks he was told occurred one way, had a completely different happenstance when you had to include, and contend with, the clashing values of culture. It was a most ironic situation that he was not as prepared for as he thought Being a cultural anthropologist meant studying the different pony cultures and understanding where they came from. Putting them into practice was always something difficult to do. What was easily abided by with one’s upbringing was a tough thing to change when facing that of another, completely opposite. Why by the very facts of such a situation presented themselves through their former traveling party. Despite the death-defying journey made with those bandits, whom disguised themselves as weary travelers, Light had not faltered in his belief that Ponyville had something more. Of course he could only think so thanks to his special somepony, whom he, quite literally, walked to the ends of Equus with. At least it was the end for him. Round aways from Saddle Arabia to Equestria was a grand journey for a pony whose world had been so small.

He couldn’t understand the lengths she was going through to get the medicine. He had never been a father, nor was he particularly close with his. Not to say they were enemies, but they were neither friends. A distant parent and foal. He had his work, after all. Mother was home the most and the more accepting of the union than his father. He could understand it though, at least now. Clashing cultures were often reasons for conflict or strain that his family did not wish for him to experience. But that was precisely the way of life, so it seemed. Experiences created new cultures. His ears perked as the mare seemed to grow lax in her trottings. Her face turned to him in what he could only describe as blinding! That cute, charming face! Twas what he, superficially, fell in love with! The rest came later whilst they faced the tribulations of the bandits holding them hostage with their wild beliefs that the Princess Luna still retained the regalia she had dawned with Nightmare Moon. It was all a strange affair, one of the ponies quite mad and the other overtly obsessed with the madpony’s wishes. She had a distressing taste for putting herself in dangerous situations if only to be saved. But who was he to judge these backwards ponies?

Well he was, if the scars on his chest were anything to go about with.

“Oh, Dusk, why do you apologize? There is naught to worry for. Though if that which you require is not here, well we must find it. I am sure we can make it to this pony before the storm arrives If anything I will hold you beneath my wing.” Of course never dismissing the chance to spread his wings for her. Silly bird. “Come if we make haste we could make it to this medical facility before the first downfall.” He assured. He had seen the hospital, though it was not close. If they hurried they could certainly make it as the clouds seemed to crackle with the startings of the storm.

• 1 month later...

20161107_181821-1.jpg

Dusk more than willingly nestled under the large wings of her beloved husband, even though Lightning seemed to worry a lot about things. The fact remained that when it really counted the Saddle Arabian pegasus was there for her when she needed him, so she nodded in agreement as she led her stallion towards the Ponyville Hos[ital to see if Nurse Redheart was still working and if not, maybe one of the other nurses on evening or night shift.

"You are truly too good for me my beloved, always going out of your way to see that I'm content and relaxed. I should really treat you to something nice one of these days my magnificent bird of prey."

• 1 month later...

EDnKd1mR.png

As he walked with her towards the hospital Lightning could not help the proud strut as the mare tucked beneath his outstretched wing. The monocle that rest over his eye was held with naught but his brow, so smiling risked his losing the one thing that kept it in place: his creased brow. He could not seem to help it around her though! Just her speaking made his heart flutter, but her using him as an umbrella was just beyond endearing, or at least anything he could define with his limited vocabulary. Indeed there was so much in this world and yet despite their language it could often be so difficult to express one's heart physically did well to display the discrepancy between the spoken word and feeling heart.

If he could he would have floated clear off the ground!

“Magnificent?” He sputtered a bit at the compliment, his monocle fogging up at the swell of his ego. “Well, b-but of course! You deserve only the best!” Bird or prey? Him? He knew it had to be sweet words.

He was a quivering coward. To be compared to a hunter was almost embarrassing if it was not downright gratifying! To think he was able to present himself in such a way that his young, special somepony would hold the near-mad belief that he was meaningful. It was almost sad, and yet his confidence jumped a mile at the words. He stood straighter and found himself feeling he could take on the world!

Finally arriving Distant Lighting looked around. It was a most curious facility. Different yet the same as home. “I.do hope they have what you need dear.” He professed. Though he did like to simply walk with her.

The storm was overhead. A small shower, but bothersome nonetheless.

Archived