Going Cold Turkey (Closed, PM for invite)

Gerrard

The howls of frigid wind sliced through the air, carving into everything unfortunate enough to be exposed to the open air! The light treading of hooves on stone filled the air as a lone pony crossed through the icy wastes via an elaborate cave system. She was a black unicorn mare covered in the heaviest of parkas, only trace amounts of her scarlet mane and tail seeming to  escape into the freezing air of the wasteland. The courier was tasked with exchanging a fire ruby for a flask of dragonfire, and had just completed her mission, now carrying a bottle of the fiery liquid. It was safely stored away, radiating warmth of the unicorn as carried on with her trip to return to the Crystal Empire.

Hot breaths of air escaped her maw as she slowly walked through the cavern. Immediately upon exiting her mouth, the air crystallized and fell to the ground in light shards, cracking as it hit the floor. Her mind flashed back to her previous dealing with a very impressed white dragoness. The great lizard was quite eager to collect her prized dinner, and was quick to trade with the strange pony who didn't fear her! "The hotsprings should be just around the corner. It should be warm enough a location to camp for the evening," she verbalized aloud, stepping around the corner to see the familiar sources of hot water waiting her arrival! Her mind thought of all the things she was going to do to rest and recover from the tiring icy trek. The unicorn soon slipped free of her warm outfit and loomed over the near boiling heat source! The long and powerful muscles of a marathon runner defined her form, the strange mare standing in stark opposition to the stereotype of her kind. She focused much more on physical training than magic training, but still had quite a few secrets to teach intrepid young unicorns!

Just as she resolved to step into the water, the thundering crash of ice snapping under the force of something powerful filled the air. Her crimson eyes drifted away from the water and deeper into the cavern. If she didn't know any better, someone had either hit something, or been hit surprisingly hard! "Is someone there?" Asteria called out in the air, her voice seeming almost dispassionate as she took a few steps deeper to spot the source of this noise!

"Yes. A little help if you don't mind."   His teeth were chattering as he had come this far out of Equestria Proper in order to put a creation of his to the test, one designed to simulate what an Earth-Pony could do physically. The creation involved Runic Magic, but unfortunately Shadow had messed up when he had made the item in question, had messed up badly. The etchings, or perhaps the materials were wrong for what he had been attempting to do. "It seems one of my magical creations that was meant to give me the physical prowess of an Earth Pony has glitched."  Currently he was about to fall into the ice cold water, and perhaps develop Hypothermia, or worse if he was not rescued right way. A mental note was made by Shadow Scribe that he needed to learn more about magic, more about enchanting, and more about such powerful magic types because he didn't know enough if this was what happened with his creations. "Kindly pull me out of the ice, if you don't mind before I can fall in, and drown/freeze to death." 

Asteria peered down into a lower level of the canyon, spotting a unicorn on the brink of falling into an icy underground river. Crimson eyes examined the situation, noting his awkward stance as they almost seemed to mathematically evaluate the best course of action. A light humming sound came from her long black horn as she exercised a quick burst of magic. Shadow Scribe could feel a strange and sudden yank on his hind leg as he was pulled away from the water and ice, although he could see no visible magic exercising its power over him, at least not in such a perilous position.

As he slid back away from his potential demise, Asteria examined his surroundings, searching for a path for him to reach her upper level of the cavern. "There is an icy path on your right that leads to my location. You are free to traverse it up to my level, or I can offer to lift you to my level. You are also free to continue with your experiments if that is your preference. I would suggest avoiding the testing of advanced magical equipment in  such a dangerous area, at least without proper supervision," she added in a stoic tone, seeming completely in control of her emotions in the somewhat stressful scene. Her dispassionate eyes looked upon his equipment, noting the runes upon them as she speculated what would bring him to a place like this to train. She assumed it was a training technique that thrived on the necessity of success, pushing himself farther than he might normally be willing to. That of course was just an assumption though, and Asteria tried to avoid making them, deciding to properly interview him once he was in a safe position.

• 2 weeks later...

Shadow Scribe proceeded up the icy path towards her. The kindness of this unicorn had quite literally saved him from a bath that was going to be nothing short of deadly to him. Water that cold could kill most unicorns, or actually most ponies, no most races. Or he assumed that anyway. Finally having made his way up to where she was, Shadow had to admit to himself one thing. She was a powerful Unicorn and might be able to help him refine the process of making runic magic actually work, and do what it was supposed to do.  

"You saved my life. What I was working on was a creation of my own making, a set of armored shoes that SHOULD provide me the strength of an Earth Pony, but for a problem. You see, they glitch. They glitch a lot, and that makes it impossible for me to use them properly. I'll need to rework the runes on them again.."  He said, offering the horse shoes, well the armored boots to Asteria .The runes were visible on the shoes, but were made in such a way that they were going to glitch.  "Made them as my first experiment in runic magic, still got a long ways to go before I can be considered an expert of any sort on the subject." 

Archived