Unsettled Peace (Private)

Spider

Celestia sat at her desk. Between the mountains of scrolls piled up on either side of her sat an empty space just big enough for a single piece of parchment. Above it hovered a quill bathed in a golden aura. Her eyes were locked on that quill rather than the paper she was supposed to be writing on. It was an old feather that had fallen off of Philomena, one of her long primaries with a perfect red to orange gradient. Sometimes she envied that bird, sitting on her perch without anything to worry about.

A drip of ink from the quill interrupted her thoughts. It fell from the nib and landed directly onto the blank parchment, bringing out a frustrated sigh from the princess. She briefly glanced at the overflowing trash bin of crumpled paper. Instead she just wrote. By this point, the first few words were almost second nature.

“My dearest Twilight,” the letter began. “It is with a heavy heart that I write this. But as I’m sure you’ve discovered on your own, with being royalty comes the need to make very difficult decisions.” Her handwriting was much worse than she had hoped it would be. The lettering also faded in and out as her grip on the quill wavered. She dipped the tip in the ink pot. “Please come to Canterlot as soon as possible. I must ask something of you that will be easier said in person. Think of it as a final examination.” It wasn’t perfect. She was afraid the wording would cause Twilight unnecessary stress, but Celestia couldn’t find the correct words within herself.

She rubbed her eyes. The moon was high and no doubt her sister would worry if she saw the lights still on in the tower. Before rolling up the paper she put a signature at the bottom. Sloppily, but it was enough. For the final touch she stamped a seal onto the seam of the scroll; an imprint of her cutie mark in bright yellow wax. Her horn glowed. The message vanished into ash, the remnants floating out the window to be received by Spike. Now, time to sleep.

Twilight yawned tiredly, blinking blurrily as she continued scanning the pages of the book she was presently engrossed in. Spike was snoozing nearby on a few pillows, a comic book in his lap. She sighed heavily as she debated going to bed. She was a night owl, certainly. She had pulled many an all nighter in her day, pre and post princess-hood. But rereading the same few thousand books grew tiresome, and it seemed that books weren't published fast enough for the new princess' knowledge-seeking mind. Certainly she could reread the same text and absorb some new information...memorize a few more things here and there...but she was relatively bored.

She glanced around the room, hoping perhaps Starlight Glimmer was still present. Her ears drooped with disappointment at seeing a bookmarked book laying shut at her proteges desk. She sighed and looked up at the nearest clock, seeing that it wasn't even past midnight...she sighed and turned, thinking she might get a full night's sleep for once--seeing as there was nothing better to do.

She was about to magic Spike out of his uncomfortable pillow-pile when suddenly the dragon's eyes snapped open and he briefly recoiled before releasing a belch of green flame, out which a scroll fell to the ground. 

"Uh-hu-hugghhhh...I hate when I get mail in bed..." the purple dragon whined, holding his stomach. Twilight smiled fondly at the young dragon before cooing, "Oh, Spike. I'm sure it would have to be something very important for the Princess to send this late at night..."

She put a hoof on Spike's back, rubbing it in small circles as she magicked the scroll off the ground, "I'm sorry, though. I hope it's not too bad."

Spike smiled and blushed a little at the tender amount of concern, but then his interest followed Twilight's as she unfurled the letter, mumbling to herself how odd it was for Celestia to send a letter at night, since the Sun Mare typically slept during it. 

Spike read aloud while she scanned the letter silently, her breath hitching in her throat as she finished it, and read it one more time.

"What are ya gonna do, Twilight?" Spike inquired, concern clear in his tone.

"What do you mean? Of course I'm going to head to Canterlot at once!" Twilight said, the decision made with her speaking it. She magicked up her saddlebags and a few blank scrolls, a pen, and a History of Magic--just in case, before galloping headlong out the doors.

Spike struggled to follow, the young dragon both tired and out of shape, "But...Twi...light...what...about....your--" He crashed to a halt as he ran into Twilight's stopped form, his face bouncing off her flank before he flopped to the floor, rubbing his nose, "Ugh...friends?"

Twilight considered his inquiry, "...There's no time, Spike...I'll just have to see what's going on alone."

Upon seeing Spike's wide, concerned eyes, Twilight recanted her statement, "Unless...my number one assistant thinks he'd be up for joining me?"

Spike gasped, and immediately jumped on the purple mare's back, wide awake now despite the late hour, "Of course!"

Twilight chuckled and nodded before opening the castle door and leaping into the sky, jetting off towards Canterlot under the moonlit sky.....

....Some time later, her energy spent from flying so far, Twilight ungracefully flopped into the Canterlot Castle, tumbling towards Celestia's chamber, telling the nearest guard why she had come. The purple dragon on her back stumbled off and rubbed his head, "Ugh...remind me to have Rainbow Dash give you a few more flying lessons...at night, maybe..."

"Well, I'M SORRY, Spike, but I can't see in the dark...and that tree came out of nowhere," the Princess of Friendship combatted as she fixed up her mane, pulling out a few pine needles as the guard ran to Celestia's room and pound on the door to announce Princess Twilight's arrival.

Celestia blew out all the candles around the room. Manually. It was too tiresome to cast another spell when she was already so out of energy. The very instant she pulled down the covers of her bed there came a knock. Not on the door, this was the familiar sound of glass. She looked in the direction of the balcony.

There was her sister, tapping her hoof on the glass with a concerned look on her face. Just as expected. She always looked so beautiful against a backdrop of stars, almost like the sky was made for her. Instead of opening the door Celestia just beckoned. “Come in,” she also called outside.

Luna did, the door squeaking lightly as the handle was enveloped in pale blue light and pushed open. She walked to the bed and the two briefly embraced before anyone spoke. “Did you speak with the gryphons?”

Celestia’s face drooped. That was the last thing she wanted to talk about right before bed. “I sent a letter to Baltimare. It’ll be sent by ship the rest of the way.” As she spoke she prepared her bed. So many pillows, why did she have all these pillows?

“Baltimare? Not the embassy?” Luna replied.

“No. After word of Tirek reached them, the gryphons attacked the building. I couldn’t reach any of the diplomats to get more information. It could have been a mob, it could have been ordered. I don’t know.” She crawled the rest of the way in bed, lifting up the covers. Not exactly the most professional way to talk about such important matters. “There’s a full write-up waiting with your assistant.”

Luna’s expression hardened for just an instant, and she nodded. “I hope they accept our proposal.”

Celestia smiled at the wordplay. “Me too."

Just then came more knocking, this time with purpose. "Your highness! I'm sorry to interrupt, but Princess Twilight has arrived." The guard's voice was unmistakable, deep and commanding even through the door.

"Yes, thank you. Send her up." Hoofsteps rapidly ran back down the hallway. "Goodness, that was quick." She turned to her sister. "Luna, could you leave us to talk in private? Please?"

Her face drooped. "Why? I should be present for conversations this important."

"You should, and you will. But...this is more personally important. Twilight is my student, she'll trust me more."

Luna took in a long breath. "Very well. I'll see you tomorrow." Her tone gave away her frustrations, but Celestia didn't think anything of it. She had enough to worry about.

Twilight still had a few pine needles in her mane and tail as she followed the guard pony to Celestia's chamber, having mostly composed herself after her exhausting flight. Her wings were folded loosely, the energy in them spent. She felt more ready for bed than ever, but she knew she must be here for a reason.

Spike tapped her shoulder as they stood in front of her teacher's door, and they met eyes, "Don't worry, Twilight. Whatever it is...I'm sure you can handle this! You're the Princess of Friendship for pony's sake!"

Twilight smiled fondly at her beloved assistant dragon. She wrapped a hoof around him and pulled him close, "Thank you, Spike. Even if it isn't...'Equestria in danger' level of importance...I'm glad you're here with me."

The young dragon returned the hug before smiling up at her, bright eyed. She exhaled her held breath and with confidence, pushed the door open and stepped inside, Spike waddling in right behind her, "Princess Celestia?"

She didn't see the form of the princess standing anywhere in the dimly lit room, but after scanning and her eyes adjusting, she saw her in her bed, and trotted over to her, Spike at her side, "Princess? Is everything alright? I got your message."

Celestia got out of bed before speaking. “Good morning-” She stopped and raised a hoof to her mouth, covering up a massive yawn. Was it morning yet? She didn't know. “Mh, excuse me. I didn’t expect you here so early. Hopefully the journey was, um, pleasant?” The princess smiled that same warm smile which Twilight had seen so many times before. Just to play up her point, her yellow aura began picking away the final few twigs and leaves.

Behind that smile, however, was a distraught look in her eyes. It was the same look she had when Sombra returned, and when Tirek had escaped. Celestia would never admit it, but she was scared. “Twilight, I hope you know how proud of you I am. I’m always receiving word about friendship being spread across Equestria, and it makes me happier than you could possibly imagine. I’m so fortunate to be able to call you my student.”

She closed her eyes for a moment. Very obviously dodging the question of if everything was alright or not.

"Yes, it was fine, I mean...well, I ran into a tree, but..." She trailed off, allowing the Princess to continue speaking after she was asked how her travels were, and tilted her head, squinting curiously as the Princess praised her, squinting her eyes a bit, slightly worried at the way the Princess was speaking, "Um...yes...of course...Thank you...?"

She looked at Spike, who shrugged, and then looked back at the groggy looking princess, "Is..is everything alright, Princess Celestia?"

Celestia frowned upon seeing Twilight worry so much. All the stresses of ruling were supposed to fall completely on her and nopony else. She considered it a great personal failure to allow Twilight to feel just a fraction of what she herself had to deal with. "No, everything's not alright." Once again words failed her. It was much different speaking about this in person than with a simple letter.

“It’s...it's war, Twilight. The gryphons are afraid that allowing Luna by my side again has crippled Equestria; they think Nightmare Moon is still influencing her.” Her eyes wandered to the moon, shining brightly through her balcony window. “Discord, Chrysalis, Sombra, Tirek. Each one. So very close to being disastrous, but you and your friends have saved more than just Equestria each time.”

The princess returned to her bed, sitting on the edge. Just that brief time walking around made her remember how exhausted she was. “They blame all that on Luna and me, but especially after when Tirek escaped. Tartarus is an Equestrian prison, leaving us solely responsible for everything that happened. And I’m sure you remember how close he came to laying the world to ruin.”

Her eyes closed once more, head drooping a bit. “Your friends, too. When Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash went to Gryphonstone, their leaders considered it a hostile action. Spreading propaganda.” She looked up. Now there was no hiding the worry in her eyes. Somehow the prospect of war made her more afraid than any villain could. Maybe because the elements couldn’t make an ideology disappear, nor could Discord snap his fingers and solve. This was all on her. If she failed to sate the gryphon’s anger, then ponies would die.

“I need help that only the princess of friendship can provide. I sent word to them so that they may send an envoy. If I’m right, they’ll agree to send the son of their king. My hope is that they’ll respect you more highly than me.” She cleared her throat. “I’m so sorry that I have to ask you to do this, because there is a catch. You must know a great deal about gryphon tradition from your books. They tend to favor a...more traditional way of ensuring diplomacy. A union observed by their god, protected by law.” She didn’t want to say it aloud. “Between a man and woman…”

• 2 weeks later...

"Their leaders? But I thought the gryphons no longer had leaders....I thought Pinkie and Rainbow's visit went so well! I thought....I thought..." The purple alicorn sat down and rubbed the back of her head, worry spreading across her face as she thought of the terrible consequences that the magical artifact--the map--had brought upon them. She had assumed only that the map had pure intentions, that the friendship problem to be solved could lead only to more good in the nation...she never suspected in the very least that it could lead to war!

All this ran through her mind in the blink of an eye as Celestia continued, and she perked up at the end of her statement, the intellectual advanced lilac alicorn connecting the dots rather quickly, "A m...marriage..."

"Marriage!?" Spike piped up next to her, latching onto her forearm with wide, confused eyes, only now catching on after Twilight had actually said it aloud, "You mean...you'd have to marry a gryphon?!"

Spike looked from Twilight to Celestia, and Twilight met Celestia's eyes, her own bit of confusion and shock mirroring Spike's, but she blinked it away, her eyes glossy. She rose back up to her hooves and stood at attention, "If...If that is what is required of me, as the Princess of Friendship, I will--" She choked a bit, and tried to hide a tear that slid down her cheek with a quick wipe of her hoof, "I will do...my part. For the good of all of Equestria."

"But...Twilight..." Spike's eyes were wide, and sparkling with potential tears, his expression filled with concern, "You can't..."

"I must, Spike. For the good of everypony." She puffed up her chest with a shaky breath, eyes on her fellow princess and mentor, set in determination despite the obvious distress the violet princess felt, "Just tell me what I need to do, and I'll be there, Princess."

To show her commitment, she bowed to her elder princess in respect, though she found it hard to rise as the intense reality set in upon her. She would have to marry...and not just...a pony...but a gryphon... She dare not imagine further into the future, for it may bring further tears, so she tried to focus on the task at hoof.

Archived