That which lies within (Private)

Shadowbolt0

Canterlot, even as night, is a beautiful city to behold. There was always so much beauty, if you looked at the right place. Of course, even the capital, in all its beauty, couldn't hide the ugly nature of its occupants all the time. An explosion at the castle had all the guards in a panic, patrols had almost tripled in size and consistency, and not even the guards knew why other than they had a target to 'capture and bring back safely to the castle'. Their target was a young girl, a unicorn, with green emerald eyes. Each guard had an image of her, just incase.

The said girl was hiding in an ally, trying to remain out of sight. She was angry at herself, she should have predicted this reaction, and yet, she had only a few plans. The first, obvious, but unless required, she'd rather not. After all, the last time she had, she'd nearly murdered a guard. The power had overwhelmed her, she vowed never again. Slinking off into the shadows, the girl watched and waited. Trying to come up with a plan.

"Another round for the house!!!" 

Cheers could be heard from the next street as the bar cheered, a free round of drinks for the odd twenty five people in the bar. The sponsor was a black gryphon dressed in a pair of dark blue jeans, black shoes, a black shirt, and a Midnight blue coat with a hood on it. The name that belonged to the sponsor, was Blackwing. He was a thief, and fair few hours ago, he had just completed a very lucrative deal with a Fence after completing a big hit without being caught. They wouldn't know that the antique was missing until the next week. 

Though he had been lucky, a timely explosion had given him enough of an opening to actually escape, without that, he would never have made it. Looking outside, he noticed a large amount of guards running around, but... he had no idea why. He was curious, but for now, he grabbed his drink, which was his third for tonight, a light burbon, he didn't want to get to wasted... yet.

The bar had been visited by several guards numerous times, they'd walk up to the bartender, ask a few questions, hang around for a few minutes before leaving, and this repeated on an hourly timer. It was nearly time for the next wave of guards, the door opened and the expectation was guards. But it was actually a cloaked individual. It was obviously a female, her figure wasn't hidden by her cloak, only her face. She was wearing a buttoned shirt and jeans, and silently went to one of the tables near the back of the bar. The bar seemingly didn't notice her, or pay her much attention. After all, unless she got involved in drinking or a game of cards, who cared about some wanna-be coming into the bar?

The waitresses handed out the purchased drinks, and put one in front of the newly arrived girl, who looked up through her hood for barely a moment. Her eyes glowed, emerald.

Cryie, sat at the table in the rundown bar, looked at the drink. Should she? While she could drink, she was on the run. Was it really worth the risk? She opted to not drink, sitting on the side of the bar trying to avoid any attention.

Almost on cue, the guards returned and started asking the staff. However, this time, was differnet. They pinned an image of Cryies face on the wall. A young girls face, bright with emerald eyes and silver shining hair, and glasses in front of them. The guard looked over at them "Listen up! Now I know not all of you follow the laws, but orders came out. This girl heres important, wanted captured Unharmed. She's harmless and on the run. Bring her in, reward is 10 grand. Nice and simple" the guard left without answering a single question, slamming the door behind.

Two things happened quickly. The first being the waitress who had seen Cryies eyes shot over to her boss and spoke to him in a hushed tone. The other was Cryie, hidden in her cloak, stood up slowly and started to move towards a corner, to hide herself and hope, pray, they ignored her.

• 2 weeks later...

Black quickly pulled his hood over his head as the guards came in. He had just robbed something, and if they were looking for him, he needed to be ready to hide, though quickly realized that they weren't here for him, but for... A girl he had noticed walk in a bit before. He couldn't tell anything other then she had been a girl, and had emerald green eyes. He looked at the picture that they had pinned from across the room, notcing more features of the girl. He turned around on his char, acting drunk a bit as he looked around the room, making sure he was inconspicuous. That was a big cash reward, ten grand. He wanted it, but he was a thief with morals. He needed to see the story before he made his choice.

All over the room, people were gambling, all drunk or just acting it. Though he noticed one slender figure, wearing a cloak and a button shirt.... and jeans. She wasn't drinking, or participating in any of the events. He got up, drinking his drink in one go, shaking his head as the strength of skulking it gave him a slight headache, though as he looked at the bartender, he noticed her...... speaking to her boss. He had a feeling they had seen the same girl she had, and since they weren't drunk, it wasn't an illusion. He moved towards the girl in the corner with a trip in his step, though he was just acting the part. He wanted to see what this was all about.

The girl, at the back of the room, watched carefully. She hadn't predicted the guards going to this level, and 10 grand?! Was she that important? If she was, why were they so mean??If they had been nice she'd never of blown up half the study facility, but no, they were mean, so she destroyed their lab and stole a large number of papers in regards to their study on relics. She silently pondered her next step. With a 10k reward, the chances of getting someone to smuggle her out was slim now, meaning she had to go it alone.

She missed the waitress going to her boss, and instead, found her eyes focused on someone moving closer. Was he, coming towards her? Was he drunk? Cryie couldn't tell, she hadn't had any experience in places like the tavern. Her heart leaped, before calming herself. No way he could put it together from her appearance alone right? She wasn't even wearing her glasses, which meant she was having trouble seeing anything specifically.

"Ok..ok ok think...sewers are the best option....yes, use them I can get out of the city by nightfall..." she muttered to herself.

The waitress and her boss spoke for a bit, the boss nodded and pulled up another drink, giving it to the waitress and gestering to the girl on her own.

• 2 weeks later...

As he got closer to her, he pretended to trip, falling flat on his ass. He was trying to make sure she didn't know he was going for her, though he quickly got up, and with that, he saw no one else was looking, someone had fell, big deal. He got up, continuing to act, taking the last two, three meters quickly closing in on the girl. He made sure that he was quiet, he wanted to hurry up and see what this was about before someone else realized what was happening. 

Once he got close he fell right in front of her, right onto the table, keeping his 'drunk expression' act on.

"Hey.... pretty girl, you gonna drink that?" He asks, attempting to act like some drunk just wanting a free round.

The girl kept allowing herself to come up with escape paths, how she could evade not only the guards, but the endless number of bounty-hunters that would want the 10 grand reward on her head. This mental discussion meant it caught her by surprise when someone crashed into her table. She flintched backwards, her breathing heavier than it should be as she looked at him, keeping her face hidden within the shadows of her hood. And normally, it would have worked to mast her identity. But her eyes would be clearly seen, after all, they were practically glowing emerald.

"No...i'm not" she answered him "I-it's all yours..."

"T...hanks Doll" He says to her, reaching for the glass to drink, and pretending to slip and fall a little, noticing her eyes. She was the girl from the poster all right, but... something didn't feel right. She seemed to shy and... well the fact she wasn't drinking this free drink made him wonder if she really knew how the world worked??? Free drink means you drink, so... He shook it off, about to grab the drink when he decides to make a move before anyone else notices who has walked in.

He was close enough now that no matter which way she moved, he could pretty much grab her. He didn't want to have to though.

"I know who you are, everyone else is drunk, but the keep might have noticed you. Drink this before someone gets suspicious" He says in a soft voice, hoping she would hear him, he said, dropping his drunk act for a moment, before putting it right back up

Cryie had been planning on leaving, a tavern where her face was posted up wasn't safe anymore. She wasn't sure where she'd go, but she'd find somewhere right? That was her plan, right before her individual who asked for her drink, acted. At first she'd just dismissed him as one of the many intoxicated individuals within the establishment who wanted nothing more than free booze.

Of course, what he said, filled her with worry. How did he know? She wasn't sure, yet he said it with such confidence...She took a deep breath, and despite the slight look of shock that crossed her face, acted confused.

"I don't know what you're talking about" she said softly "And i'm not drinking that, I don't even want to think about what you've put in it..."

Well, despite her seeming a little.... well out of place, she at least knew not to drink if she thought someone put something in it. He hadn't, it was just his way of getting close without really.... standing out. They were in a bar, and everyone was drinking or drunk. She stood out, she hadn't touched it yet, and he wanted to know her story, or he wanted that ten grand... he hadn't chosen which yet, but either way he had to get her out of here before someone ELSE picks her up.

"Your going to have to trust that i didn't put anything in the drink, and that you stand out here. Everyone is drinking, and here you are, just, standing. Drink it so that they at least might think your not suspicious, then leave before someone else decides to approach you" He says back to her. He did his best to sound soft and gentle, though in reality his voice came out as a warning, not a gentle talk, but a warning. He didn't mean it that way though. 

Despite his seemingly good intentions, Cryie couldn't afford to trust him. There was 10 grand on her head, and she doubted some of the hunters wouldn't not go for the dirty tricks in order to catch her. He could have put anything into the drink when she had zoned out, and she wasn't taking a chance with someone she didn't know.

"Listen I don't know who you think I am, but I don't know you" she said calmly, methodically, right as something, odd happened. Her eyes, that somehow 'glowed' under her hood, the left one flared up, shining slightly brighter for a moment, before dimming down again. "Besides, you probably just see me as a defenseless girl with nothing don't you? Well, i'm not like that, so please, don't treat me like that"

• 2 weeks later...

His eyes went wide as he watched her eyes light up, flashing for a moment before dimming down. Something was up with this girl... He no longer cared about the reward, he knew if he tried he would find it harder then it was worth. He wanted to know what was going on now. He kept a blank face, not letting her know that he was actually scared.

"I think your a wanted girl who is on the run with little knowledge of how the world works" He says, judging his guess on how she reacted, and how little she actually knew about how a bar worked. 

So he knew....She silently cursed herself, of course he would recognize her...Why would her luck ever change?

"....Ok fine, so what next huh? Gunna turn me in, because I dare you, just try it" she said sternly. She was terrified, but she couldn't...couldn't let it show.

As the pair talked, several of the rougher lot, assassins, mercs and turncoats, started to leave the bar, and the barmaid hesitantly walked up towards them, and paused several steps away.

Turn her in..... It was tempting, it was a nice amount of cash reward... but he wasn't going to, he was to curious for his own dam good!

"Im not going to turn you in, at least not until i know whats going o-" He was saying before noticing a lot of the others leaving the bar. This was taking to long!! They would stand out now, which would make him getting her out way harder then he had wanted it, though he did see the Barmaid coming towards him.

"Keep your eyes covered" He says to her, them being a little bright and noticeable.

Cryie reacted out of instinct, shielding her eyes as the barmaid walked up to the pair of them, and the bartender vanished from sight.
"Excuse me" she said "We're gunna be setting up for the fight event now" she sounded sweet, almost comically given the place she was working "Sir, i'd ask that you leave until we've set up the arena"

Bar fights? Thats bad!!! Bar fights meant bets, bets meant off duty guards, guards mean attention, attention equals trouble. He needed to try and get her out of here.... but how could he with how the place was about to swarm!

"Fights huh, is it drawing a crowd?" He asked, speaking slightly drunk, hoping that the emerald eyed girl would hear the immediate danger, and hopefully trust him enough... though right now it seemed like a lost cause.

The girl nodded her head "It normally does, however, given what occurred today i'm not sure. That hunt for the fugitive had all our normal patrons head out, presumably to try and find whoever she was. But since we're low on patrons, i'd ask if you could move to the other side because we're setting up the arena here"

As she spoke, the bartender walked back, a chair in one arm and a club in the other, looked over and saw they were still in his bar, and walked forwards towards them.

So.... the bar was being emptied out... Sounded about right. Not to many of the people would put off the bounty, even he was insane for doing it, but he had morals. Something was up and he wanted to know what it was. Before he could actually respond though, he saw the bartender...... walking with a club? That was bad, he knew something was up. Black wanted to get out as fast as he could, but how.... he shuddered internally, hoping the girl would play along.

"Well... dear guess its time to leave" He said, still appearing drunk to a degree. He threw an arm around her, begging she would just play along. If he told her to. the girl would notice, and if she didn't.... the bar keep would know whats up, if he didn't already. This was a matter of chance.... and it could go either way.

The girl did pinch as the arm wrapped around her, but went silent and didn't object. Despite Blackwings suspicions, the bartender wanted them gone to set up this arena.

Outside the tavern, once they weren't being watched, she got herself out of his grip, looking at him from under the hood. There wasn't anger on her face, but neither was the look of someone who was happy. "Well, thanks...If they'd of recognized me, I don't wanna think what I would have had to do to them..." she said eventually "Now unless you're planning on dying also, or have a plan to get me out of this city, I need to go...The guard'll come back soon i'm certain..."

• 2 weeks later...

Black led the girl out, acting as if he was bringing her home but once they were out of sight, he let go of her, with her struggling. He watched her, she didn't seem happy at all. She should be, they weren't caught!

"Well... guards are after you, before i make a plan i would like to know why"

The girl shook her head at him. Why did he care at all? There was 10 grand on her head, any decent merc would have attacked her...and paid the price with their life.

"Why do you care? So when you hand me in, you're the innocent one? Look boy, I don't kn..." The girl paused mid-sentence, and starting coughing heavily, forced to lean against a wall to keep herself standing. When she looked up, her eyes, both this time, were dimly glowing.

"I don't know, what your agenda is, and until I do...."

"Well well, little  miss C, wondered if you came here" said a voice behind Blackwing. Stood behind him was nearly a dozen guards, let by one of the bars occupents. The guard was at the front, a Captain. "You should know better then destroying half of the research facility, you were lucky no one died as a result of your silliness"

"I'm not going back there!" Cryie snapped back, and hid behind Blackwing, using him as an effective shield "They said they wanted to understand, but they kept using needles and scans and they hurt!"

"Tsk tsk" replied the Captain "I see you've lured some-griffon to act as a meat-shield huh?" The captain looked at Blackwing "I'd suggest helping us out, not only is she a danger to herself, but there's a split of 10 grand if you do"

Archived