Runes of Chaos

Novaburst

Time: Early Morning, About Four Am 

Character: Rune Writer

Mood: Tense 

Music: 

It was early morning, about Four Am when a heavy wagon rolled into the Everfree Forest. Choosing a clearing that was apparently safe, Rune Writer stepped out of the wagon and put a crystal down. A bolt of magic to the crystal, and the crystal had grown to a fully sized tent for him to stay in for tonight. While he did have more amenities in the wagon, he didn't want to waste the magical power if he didn't need to. This was why he often saved the enchantments of the wagon, leaving them off unless he needed them. Sighing as he looked around the Everfree he remembered stories he had been told when he was younger, of how dangerous the Everfree was. Well he'd find out for himself if the place was so dangerous and if so deal with it. After all he had an assortment of magical weapons, his wagon and an arsenal of spells of Harmonic, Dark and Chaos Magic at his disposal. Surviving a few hours before he went into Ponyville shouldn't be that hard, right? In all honesty, it had been a rough trip from the Frozen North here, and Rune was looking forward to meeting the Princess whom Shadow had given the Red Sun Sword to and taking it back from her. It was a family heirloom, and was supposed to stay in the family. 

418f11065fb2d499989c9003401a00b3-dasv465

Everfree was a place that magic held no power. A land that ran without the interference of ponies it was a world within a world, with secrets buried beneath its ancient roots. Perhaps it had been the way the forest had always been, or there was an event in the past that made it wholly self-sustaining. No pony could figure it out. Researchers and adventurers alike would attempt to venture into its depths to discover the secrets of its environment. There were ruins of a castle, but beyond its borders there was wood so dense that not even the moonlight or sunlight dared pervade.

It was not a place a pony should practice magic as it often lured the curious, and oft dangerous residents, closer than what they normally wandered. Even the great spirit of chaos felt he should enter the woods under any circumstance, so it wasn't often Discord made a trek through the Everfree forest. In fact -- he did but once and that was beneath the shelter of the Tree of Harmony! It was early morning., too early In fact it was so early that neither the sun or moon were yet ready to bisect across the horizon and shift their roles. His fur was ruffled, feathers looking as if he had gone through the wash cycle twice and haphazardly hung out on the line to dry. His eyes were darkly painted with rings of exhaustion and in his paw he held what looked to be a bowl of pudding. 

What was he doing out here at such an hour?

He groaned, rubbing his claw across his face. "I have lost control of my life." He glared down at the pudding bowl. 

It was no ordinary bowl of pudding. It was a special confectionary he could only get at a certain time of the year, at a certain point in the time-space continuum. It had taken so much to get through that pocket dimension, especially when, this year, it landed between Everfree and Ponyville. Perhaps it was time he looked to getting help for this problem. But chocolate was such a delightful treat. He shrugged, plucking the spoon from the perfectly swirled treat and popped it into his muzzle as he floated along. His ears would perk, something causing the chocolate pudding to taste quite bitter. He caused him to glower as he looked up.

Was -- was that a tend in the middle of the woods? Well he knew what had to be done...

Discord manifested a light torch and held it in his paws. Shaking it a bit he would settle the torch to light up. With the flashlight in paw he approached the tent with the light source pointed to him, super imposing his monstrous shadow on the tent's surface. "What are you dooooing here?!" He bellowed in his spoopiest voice.

There were few things that annoyed Rune more than interrupting his sleep. Given he had been trying to get four hours of sleep, Rune immediately pulled on his clothing, which consisted of heavily enchanted fabric that was able to stop a cockatrice from turning him to stone, and a few other magical plagues that other creatures were capable of. Rune frowned as he came outside of his tent. Irritated that someone would DARE wake him up at this hour, he'd light his horn and summon a beaker full of a red, almost pink liquid and drain it down. While the taste of his medicine that took the edge off of the pain in his hooves due to being an older pony was bitter tasting, it was a liquid he was learning to swallow. Later he'd do some work on the flavor when he had time. But he didn't yet. Eventually once he made his rounds around the tent, he noticed Discord. A frown worked it's way onto his features. 

"Hello Discord." 

This was said politely, even if he felt like murdering the Spirit of Chaos for ruining his attempt to get some shuteye. 

"So what brings you to my campsite this late at night?" 

If a pony screamed deep on the woods and nopony was around to hear him, did he make a noise? It was the age old question that not even the greatest pony scientists could answer for it was the ultimate paradox. While it made sense a pony made a sound when they screamed, if it wasn't heard it was a logical conclusion to come to that they, in fact, made a sound regardless of another being there to bear witness. But when Everfree was involved logic could be tossed out the window along with the Pegasus it flew in with. Since the Everfree worked outside a pony's magical control it was unpredictable. Even with the Tree of Harmony deep at its heart, it only kept the forest from crossing its borders. It was a fearsome place with its own agenda, one not even the spirit of chaos dealt with. 

Perhaps the chimeric demigod has seen one too many scary movies. He felt compelled to sneak up on the tent with his torch displaying his shadow on the tarp. He honestly found such things amusing, at the very least. Simple tricks that startled ponies were fun on occasion, though they weren't his cup of tea. In fact he was so convinced that such a gag was old hat when Rune gruffly greeted Discord it was not the spirit in question, but an actual shadow standing in place, holding said flashlight. It froze stock still and waves at the old pony before it pointed off to the side.

Discord was seated on a stump, eating his pudding. "I find myself at a loss, to be quite honest." He would respond. "I suppose this a touch excessive to cross through the Everfree for chocolate pudding, but by the Stars it is most excellent pudding." He parted his jaws, forked tongue wrapping around the utensil. "But that begs the question, what are you doing here. You are without a snack so I can only assume you're here for the ancient treasure!"

Was there ancient treasure here?

Well yes, but it was still the spirit pulling at the old pony's leg. Looking over his campsite the spirit highly doubted he was simply camping. One does not simply camp in Everfree. It was the most dissonant place on Equus after all! Even Chaosville had some… well okay second most raucous place. But my that was quite a shot for a medal. Finishing his snack the bowl and spoon quickly vanished, the spirit suddenly wearing what looked to be a long, black cloak, in his paw a husking scythe. His claw pointed to Rune before the scythe turned into a cornstalk. 

"I'd have to say that is perhaps the corniest excuse for delving into such a dangerous place and without a buddy!" Suddenly in a hiker's outfit the spirit tipped his hat.

The dead of night meant nothing as they were in the Everfree

It was best to spook the local residents from hanging out where the sleeping, prone pony was parked. Really. He didn't even have the sense to put up traps!

Ancient Treasure in the Everfree? Rune didn't trust Discord as far as telekinesis could be used to hurl the Spirit of Chaos, but he did respect his power. Approaching wherever DIscord was Rune said to him. "Actually I'm not here for treasure. I came out to practice with several spells that I created. But if the treasure is Orichalium, well I might be interested in going to hunt for it. It's a material I'll need for something I'm working on...."  He'd not tell ll Discord about his creation of the Mirrors that could replace the need for as much ink and quills. Discord thought he needed a buddy, that was cute. Still as Discord was around, perhaps Rune could make use of him. If the Spirit of Chaos wanted to play an adventure game, he could humor the Spirit and later have the Spirit snap up some Orichalium, and a large supply of Diamonds and Crystals. Making the mirrors required supplies that he didn't presently have access to. Besides, he was used to being an early riser. "But very well  I'll seek out this treasure with you Discord, but afterwards if you wouldn't mind, given what you are capable of,   I might have a few games of my own for you,  a scavenger hunt if you will." 

If the Spirit of Chaos liked games, this was one way to get Discord to help Rune with the reasons he was in the Everfree to begin with.. Some of the herbs needed for his anti aging formulas grew only in the Everfree. Really Rune normally would retrieve them himself, but when one had a nearly omnipotent Spirit of Chaos nearby? Using such to do the tasks was better than doing it himself. Especially with how dangerous the Everfree was. Really, Rune wished he had hired some bodyguards to accompany him but then thought better of it. Hiring bodyguards meant they could steal the Crystal Mirrors. 

"So what do you say? I go hunt the treasure with you, and then you participate in my scavenger hunt?" 

Using such a spell on the spirit wouldn't get one very far. In fact it was a rather strenuous game to fight against the magic around his body. It was perhaps what made it the most difficult to reign him in times of trouble le. The current anchor spell on him was a direct result of the Elements of Harmony and rather complicated recall magic. There was a reason it was only in the control of Princess Twilight and Celestia. He needn't such a spell overused and sending him into a temperamental fury. All aside the old pony seemed to admit to be training.

Of all places, here? Everfree wasn't the safest locale for a lone pony, let alone one at an age riper than yesterday's tomato. But who was he to judge? The manic monster had traipsed through the jeopardous woods and all for some chocolate pudding. There was also the case that darn near everything in Everfree was attracted to the magic produced by a pony, be it out of the nature of curiosity or simply a fit of challenge. It stood to be a place only the foolish went to test their mettle and it was where the stubborn marched headlong to avoid spending a lifetime in travel, the shortest route being a straight line as it was. Though it wasn't always.

He could not help the smirk on his face. So he would be willing to play the game? "Well, we shall see. If your game isn't boring I'll agree to partake." Ever a whimsical creature. "Alright if you're so keen on treasure hunting…" With a snap of his fingers a map would appear floating in front of Rune. 

It was an aged parchment, some spots burned. Atop the length of it seemed to be words in a foreign language and holes in the center, very small. The map seemed reminiscent of Everfree, but a great deal of the woods seemed thinner than they were today, suggesting the age of the map. The first landmark seemed to be the river, which cut through the Everfree. Drawn on it looked to be a snake. Just how old was Steven? Well a question for another time.

"Shall we go find those doubloons?" He chuckled, sliding a pirate's tricorne atop his head.

"Very well, we shall go find those Dubloons." 

So Discord would participate if his game wasn't boring. Making it a simple fetch quest wouldn't work then, he'd need to give Discord some challenges to overcome. Of course getting a sample of whatever allowed the Timberwolves to regenerate was going to be difficult in and of itself, as Rune planned on studying that little problem so he could find a way to solve it for himself.  Rune thought of how best he could motivate the entity known as "Discord"  to help him with his 'shopping'' because he had work to do in the Everfree. Gathering the herbs he needed was going to be difficult to say the least. Of course when one had an Omni-potent, or near so Spirit of Chaos with them it could make their life easier than it otherwise was going to be. Using the map,  Rune started the trek towards where Steven was to see what was going on. 

"So Discord, since we are near one of the areas on my 'shopping' list, I am curious. What enables the Timberwolves to regenerate so quickly, and could you get a sample of it for me? Consider it a game!" 

Rune seemed in agreement to his little game, but in the very way he did not question what doubloons even were… the spirit would come to realize how unaware he was of the situation he was in. Not only were they quite far from the physical locale of Maredrid, there was also the issue being that bits were universal. Doubloons were the strict currency of pirates. Not a bunch you'd find thousands and hundreds of miles from the sea and in the middle of cursed woods. Definitely not in the middle of cursed woods. He could almost guarantee it. I mean there was no accounting for ghost ships. Who knew how far inland those sailed.

Nevertheless he seemed raring to go, if only to get something out of the deal. It showed how little Rune really knew of the chaotic prince and showed how careless ponies were when faced with the empty reward of personal gain. He would rather not spend more time than he had to in this place. Everfree never sat right with him. It was perhaps due to the constantly shifting and distorted magic that filled the dread woods. He could have been partially at fault, the plunder seeds having caused some abnormal courses for the unique flow of harmony. 

Even still to such an extent… even he hadn't such intent to make such a difference here. His influence was indulged elsewhere in Equestria. It was a permanent reminder of to just how dangerous and impressive his power could be.

Rune's query bumped Discord from his narcissistic train of thought. His paw moved up against his chest, an eye narrowing a bit as his ears pinned back. He let Rune follow the map, interpret it as he saw fit. Seeing as it was a partial map there was truly no telling the landmarks save for the river, who had too did not even seem to flow in the same direction. The river: it flowed from east to west, but on the map it flowed north to south! Even some places such as monster beats were not properly placed, Cokcatrice since moving closer to Ponyville than what the map displayed.

"Well I'm no Timberwolf, but I would say part of it comes from the fact they're plants." He looked to the old Pony who seemed half a glass short of a full sandwich. "If you needed to go shopping, need I suggest a store next time. I hear they carry lovely things and aren't ocean deep in the Everfree Forest." He complained.

He didn't feel comfortable here and knowing the tree of Harmony was ahoof, well all the more reason to skedaddle. He was reformed and he did not wish to dance with temptation like that. Besides why bother with Timberwolves, whose nest were marked straight north of their current location on the map, when the doubloons were marked upon the eastern lip of the river. Run had a choice and Discord felt that he perhaps should find regret in chasing pudding at such an hour, but miss the pony making a fool of himself without the serpent even trying?

Priceless.

"Unfortunately stores don't carry the rare herbs that the Everfree does, including Sylphium or many other herbs that are nearly extinct in other places. Believe me, if I had my choice I would not even be camping here. But given my anti-aging formulas were lacking potency lately, and being short-lived... well I refuse to leave that project unfinished, as well as a few of my others. Orichalium Ore exists in large quantities in certain areas in the Everfree, and given the price of it... well I couldn't afford it."

Discord was playing him for a fool. So if the Timberwolves could regenerate because they were plants, then what about their cousins in the Frozen North, the Frost Wolves. There was the reason he had asked the Spirit of Chaos about this, because he wanted to be sure that it wasn't some organ that the Frost Wolves had. Truth be told, he'd rather not handle Discord presently but by playing his game he knew he hopefully could prevent the Spirit from messing with him too badly, and that was a good thing to say the least.  

"So you're saying that the Timberwolves regenerate because they are plants, but if your theory is true then what about their cousins the Frost Wolves that I have had the misfortune of encountering several times, in the Frozen North?"  

As Rune asked this, he continued to look at the map for a moment. Discord was pulling a joke on him. Rune laughed a little. Now that he knew the game of the Spirit of Chaos, or thought he did anyway, he decided he'd play along with the Spirit of Chaos.  Rune made up his mind as he continued the trek towards the 'treasure' and started a violent fit of coughing, and went down in pain for a moment. Old Age was an accursed thing, at least in his eyes. Summoning up a flask full of a bitter rose colored liquid he'd put it to his lips and drink the contents. The stuff tasted horrible, but it helped take the worst of the edge off anyway. A spell was charged on his horn, and cast by Rune on his own body and he stood proudly. Such spells needed to be increased in potency, and he needed to find a way to make his potion taste better. 

"So Discord, what exactly is in this treasure?"  asked Rune, stopping near a patch of Sylphium that was on the way to the destination. Plucking a few of the seeds from the patch, he'd create a satchel out of magic, and load the seeds into it. Later he could plant his own, or give it to an Earth Pony to grow so that he could have the resources he needed for his attempt #2 to make a better tasting version of his herbal remedy to one of the side-effects of old age. 

All in all it seemed a difficult map to study. In all fairness it was likely written by a pony lost in the unnatural chaos that belonged to Everfree. It was something Discord could control if he wished, changed, but it had a sort of wildness to it that the spirit was fond of. It was comparable to a cute puppy that chewed up all the good furniture: and it was your own fault for paying it no mind as it grew these terrible habits. The same could be said of these dread woods. They had been left  interred within its own indomitable self-cultivation that it exceeded the control of even skilled weather pegasui.

In short the habitat had grown out of the control of ponies and for that... It was feared.

A waning sympathy that the spirit could connect to on some level. He always seemed to bitter about being turned from his old life. There was a jealousy for the simple paths that the woods took and he was sometimes soured by his own progression in the road to friendship. As much as he knew it would do better to leave the old pony to his own devices there was a little nagging Fluttershy voice in the back of his head. It reminded him to be on his best behavior. He was steadfast in seeking to ignore the calming reminders, but it was never overlooked as he knew it would be more troublesome in the long run. As much as he desired to ignore it he supposed it would do them both benefit that he remained courteous and without a short temper.

But hearing him go on and on about topics he held no interest in only fueled his eyes as they rolled to the back of his head in search of more scenic views. "Oh come!" Discord disregarded. "Do you really think that any amount of metal, grass or liquid will prolong your days beyond what is needed? While I pity the folly that is a mortal's lifespan I dare question what is it you so desperately cling to?" He was stricken by the scenario on a whole.

While he was often fond of their scramble to create and did find their drive for growth endearing it was his sorts, Rune's fellows, who looked to escape that inevitably and began a perpetual cycle of fight over flight. It created a dead end. Rather spent in prose and recalling days passed and gaining words to offer the still primed youth: they sulked and lamented over a weakness that came natural to those without any place else to travel. Why did he seek to spend his time in these dread woods than with his family.

"Because they're snow." He flatly regarded the question. He arched a brow and looked over to the old pony. "A memory." He responded to Rune. "Now I've a question," he would block any further attempt at dodging the matter at paw, Rune's attempts to gain over Discord. "Haven't you family?" 

The map seemed to indicate a path hidden among the trees leading beyond the river towards the next destination. It would be a narrow path among the dense walls of wood, not difficult to follow as they would be painted by glowing moss which lit up like soft, paper lanterns. While a faint magic energy flowed through the Everfree there was also a strong sense of life that inhabited the faewoods. It was always warning a traveller not to let down his guard.

"Yes, I have family. And it is for that reason I am trying to expand my lifespan as long as possible. I'm going to make sure my nephew has plenty of training in the magical arts before I depart this world, though given the side-effects of Old Age I can't really train him myself, as much as I'd like. The potion's a stop-gap measure. While it won't eliminate the problem, it will temporarily neutralize old age and buy me some much needed time to continue my work, into anti aging formulas and other inventions. The metal isn't even for the anti aging formula, but for another pet project of mine."  Rune then said. "And given most of my family is busy, Shadow especially with his studies in magic that I instructed him to do, and his parents are busy being upper crust in Canterlot that I want as little to do with as possible..."  Rune didn't even want to deal with Shadow's parents again. Tartarus knew he'd only taken the colt on as his protege to get him out of that toxic environment, so he could be a better unicorn than his parents had been. Snobs parents of good quality didn't make, Rune realized. It was why he was going to be damn sure Shadow grew up to be better than his parents had ever been. Rune sighed, as his path was blocked by Discord. 

"Given my nephew's parents all but told him to not come back after he failed to hatch a Dragon Egg during Celestia's exam, I took him on as my apprentice in magic and did most of the raising that his parents had. They're typical arrogant Canterlot nobles with a tree stuck so far up a certain opening they'd need a team of Alicorn Physicians to extract it from them."  Rune was not joking about Shadow's parents.  Rune then turned towards Discord again, with a more somber expression on his face. "And now you know why I'm trying to avoid my brother and his wife, while at the same time focusing my efforts to prepare more magical creations, so that when I do die my nephew will not be dirt poor as a result of his parents not wanting him, because he couldn't become one of Celestia's students when he was younger." 

It was a waste of potential, Discord felt. Squandering his time floundering about in search of such outrageous materials in a wild environment. Whilst kudos to the adventurous ponies for following the way of the pioneer and taking advantage of the chaotic lifestyle: it was wholly different watching a pony struggling to face his mortality. It was unsettling even, almost, sad to watch. To think with what short lives they did often led to impeccable madness and impressive creativity this one had come to narrow his focus to a point where even the spirit could feel a loathsome sense of pity. 

He furrowed his brow at Rune, ears pricking up. "Well I've never really met a noble that had such a sense of self worth in Canterlot." Strangely enough those further from the capitol had such inclinations and held themselves with idealized superiority. "Given there are mostly nobleponies and businessponies there isn't really much room for bragging who has the darker shade of red in their suit." He tittered, manifesting a blood-orange jacket, paw tugging at his lapel.

At the next phrase that came from the old pony's muzzle the spirit arched a brow. He did not think Celestia was into the habit of handing out orphaned dragon eggs to all her students. It made Discord wonder. Either he'd have to ask Celestia where she gets he resupply or start to work she has some underground trading rink he doesn't know of. Given dragons are a sentient group, even if a count more barbaric than ponies ever could be these days. You would think there wasn't any more evil in the world the way they prattled on about their friendship creating magic. He could attest it turned him around, but his misgivings with ponykind were, in slight part, due to his loneliness. They were not a shade greater in complication than most of the nameless sorts that conducted their dues under the flag of villainy. 

"I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but I am committed to the romantic idea that he did something much more embarrassing than fail to hatch a dragon egg. Haven't you ever thought that a bit -- fishy?" He wondered, seeing as such a test was a fool's errand.

And he only knew one fool who was tasked with it. Cocking his head the draconequus reached up to scratch at his beard. It seemed this old pony was either full of delusions or there was a respect of envy for those who were personally taught by Celestial. Or all the above. His swiveled his ears froward and hovered around Rune, zipping ahead before he appeared on the ground on a full, black, pinstripe suit. Above him a plant shifted, it's bud turning down over the spirit before flickering and letting off a soft, illuminated glow. He lowered his head, holding a black cap to it. His eyes had a soft, yellow glow. He exhaled, the cold evening causing a smoke-like billow of steam to raise from his nostrils.

"Sounds like a conspiracy to me. Those ponies who hide the truth from you and make sure you don't know the difference. How many ponies have you known to have garnered that alicorn's attention? In fact how much do you know about Celestia?" He looked over to Rune, rolling the cap down his limb, into his paw, pointing down an open path for the pony to take.

Out there was the clearing where Rune would be able to find the treasure, but not before having to cross Timberwolf territory. Though that had to give Rune something to think about. Who was lying to him? Discord, or his family? Blindly taking such a path had consequences and perhaps it was a journey Discord could see ending differently than Rune expected.

"Not many have garnered her attention, to be honest."  said Rune, continuing to trot towards the destination. Rune was going to find this treasure so he could use Discord to do his shopping. After all, a Nigh Omnipotent Spirit of Chaos healed a lot faster than an older stallion. A spell was fired off by Rune at his camp site which would pack it all up into his wagon, a precision spell that Rune had created to pack his camp site when he was done camping. It was one of the spells he had made himself, for his own purposes.

"In any case, Discord I shall take your words into consideration. Anyway, what is this treasure we are headed towards anyway?"  Rune was curious, because he liked exploring magical items, and if the treasure had any? They were going to be studied by Rune until he was satisfied. Rune had to admit, there was a lot he didn't know. Discord had brought up some valid points, and so he'd look into those points later on. 

"I will have to look into what you said... later." 

• 2 months later...

discord_banner_full_smol_by_rex_draco-db

“You don't just collect attention like it's some commodity.” The spirit spat as he spun around to face the stallion before he held out his paw and claw, spilling from his palms a hoofful of poker chips of marked denomination. “It is setting you earn with charm and skill, like a bard, not a gambler chasing his next big hit!” He appeared beside the elder pony in a dashing tubic of blue with green crakow tipped with silver bells. In paw he had a harp which he plucked with his claws in a cacophonous melody. He looked over to the male, his ears folding back as his harp deflated with a flatulent pbbft.

Discord couldn't get through to the pony. There were times like that when a pony was so blinded by the pursuit of a singular goal that, no matter what he did, there was no helping them! It was sad to see. When they got this age the tunnel vision got particularly bad. A horse with blinders! An insulting, yet fitting, term. Removing his costume he lowered down until he was but a hoof or two off the ground. He sat up straight and would cross his right, hind talon over his left Hood’s knee.

“It is a rather discouraging representation of ponykind.” He would regard as he motioned to the path. “We? Oh I've never said anything about we. I've given you a map and a path to the first step. I will step no hoof further into these woods with such an onerous pony. I'm no hireling.” He pressed his paw to his chest of feathers. “I would suggest you find yourself a worthy party of adventurers before you tarry forth on your own. It isn't safe going it alone, but be warned… the path of the children only come from the path their predecessors have lain.” With that the spirit would vanish in a puff of cackling smoke.

The pillar of smoke grinned. “Foolish little pony. Chasing ghosts!” The shapeless smoke would speak before fading away.

Archived