Hidden Shadows (ATTN: Pressy)

PyroBlaze

Yūrei wasn't sure what to do for this job. Sure, she could just do it herself, but she felt this would be a good test mission for her newer members. Hmm. 

The weather in the city was rather nice, allowing the disguised changeling to move about without clothing on. She was currently in her typical disguise, her wings tucked to her sides comfortably as she sat. 

For now, the ninja sat at a cafe, sipping some tea while she watched the road nearby. She had a couple ninja hiding in a building a few blocks down, waiting to see her decision. She was torn though, they were both good ideas. 

9XkObEe.png?1

"Ramen! Fresh Ramen! With ingredients hauled all the way from Neighpon!" Called out a cheery sounding voice from down the street from the cafe, "Made right in front of your eyes with no extra charge!" Normally a ninja wasn't supposed to draw attention to herself, but tonight Rin was being a simple Ramen vendor... in the middle of the even... in Trottingham. By the Long, she probably could have only stuck out more if in some spark of genius she attached a neon sign to the side of her pull along cart. 

It had been a while since she'd traveled all the way to equestria. The trip was a series of highs and lows with unusual characters being met, adventures being had and a bevy of comics being collected, but she knew she couldn't stay here for long. As much as she'd come to enjoy preparing ramen for ponies in the west, well, it wasn't going to get her anywhere she could see. All of the things she grew up with were back in Neighpon and since the falling out with her clan she'd found herself no way to get closer to her dream of founding her own. One of the toughest things to deal with was, well finding an employer. With the Shiori clan back home, there was much easier options to be taken that would lead to employment. Out here, what could a ninja do? Just hoof out business cards? No. Something needed to change and soon.

For now though...

"Fresh Ramen! Very affordable!"

Yūrei blinked as she heard the announcement about ramen, leaning out from her seat to get a better look. Well, that pony certainly looked the part. Being a ryuma certainly helped with that, but it wasn't everything. The 'pegasus' stood up from her seat, bringing the cup of tea with her as she approached the other mare. 

"Ramen you say? Well, I am not too hungry at the moment, but I am sure my friends would like some. Would you mind coming with me?" She said, looking over the mare more closely. There was something about her that suggested more than a simple ramen maker. The muscle, lithe and something she was all too familiar with in her life. She couldn't exactly just ask about it though. 

"By the way, what is your name? And do you do other work? I feel I have seen you before." Yūrei added, tilting her head curiously. 

9XkObEe.png?1

The ryuma at the cart smiled as she saw the silhouette of someone approaching down the misty streets. She lowered her head in respect and spoke in welcoming tone, "Irasshai!" In a small bout of showmareship she rolled the 'r' in her greeting, "I've a fairly large collection of ingre-- oh..." She blinked a moment at the pegasus. Was she...?  RIn cleared her throat once Yurei finished speaking. "Um... Okay, but I don't want to go too far away from my cart. It's all I have to my name right now: It's Ri----- umm... er.... Rika." The Ryuma's eyes darted around the inside of her cart, eventually catching sight of the magic noodle cooker's label with a smiling cat on it holding an ancient neighponese coin. "Rika... Yoshi..." Her eyes fell on her shadow that was cast by the lantern on her cart, "Kage! That's it. Rika Yoshikage!"

After the incident with Yamabushi, Rin was less open to just wandering off with respectable looking strangers without her wits about her. She tried to put on a nonchalant smile but reached under the counter to grab her bag of supplies, "I do a few other things... what do you do for a living, Miss?" 

Well, maybe she wasn't a ninja. This mare was struggling to come up with a fake name, quite obviously with all her glancing about. Besides, Rika Yoshikage? Plausible, she supposed, but not if it took that long to come up with it. 

"No reason you can't bring your cart with you Miss 'Yoshikage'. They're a couple blocks away, so you probably should bring it." Yūrei said, her tone when saying the name hinting at her skepticism. She didn't respond to the mare's question at first, raising an eyebrow at the vagueness of that response. Well, two could play at that game. 

"Henka. Unmei Henka." She replied first, smiling back at the mare slightly. She decided to leave part of her name unchanged to see if it illicited any reaction. After all, if she was a ninja, she might recognize the clan name. 

"I do odd jobs, taking work where I can find it." While true, it didn't reveal anything. Sometimes, truth was the best deception. "Shall we?" She added, gesturing down the road. 

• 2 weeks later...

7TBJwv2.jpg

"Hen-heh... henk-- " The ryuma cleared her throat, "Henka... huh? I have to say that name sounds familiar it does." She tried to sound at least a little bit more restrained and calm. Henka was the name of another ninja clan back in neighpon: A professional and fairly secretive one at that. Though one had to wonder, why they were in Trottingham? Just voicing the premise of this situation sounded like something that some low budget filmmaker in Calnais might film to make a quick bit. Ninjas in trottinham...

Quickly, Rin would pack up and organize her cart. Takign her spot at the front she pulled along the portable kitchen as she walked beside her new friend, "Odd jobs, huh? Is it ever hard to find someone who is willing to pay you well?"

Yūrei smirked to herself at that response. Seems like this ryuma truly was a ninja. Interesting. 

"It's a bit off and on, I'm sure you know how that is." She said, giving the mare a knowing look. "Recently, things have been pretty good actually. I'm sure I could help you find some work if you want it." The disguised changeling added, smiling a bit as the two walked down the street. 

They eventually reached the building, a nondescript apartment building on a street full of them. She smiled, gesturing to the building. "Well here we are. Do you wish to come inside? It's quite wet out here. Of course, I could just collect my friends' orders and come back if you would rather."

hwdjboS.jpg

"Oh definitely... Seems like striking out on my own is a -lot- harder than I thought it would be." Teh ryuma heaved a sigh as she followed along behind 'unmei', "I used to work with a cla-- er a group that would help me find more work but since we had that falling out: Finding an employer is... really tough." Once they'd reached the Building, Rin Set her cart underneath an awning to protect it from the gloomy rain. 

"A nice warm place to sleep for once? How could I turn that down?" Again she followed along behind this new acquaintance, "I'd be happy to help you and your 'friends' out if you need me to."

"Oh? Is that so? Well, I'm sure we'll be happy for the help." Yūrei smiled warmly at that response, leading the mare inside with her. She remained silent aside from whistling a Neighponese tune as she led Rin to the room and opened up the door. The room they entered into was a typical apartment living room, couches and chairs around a simple coffee table. The one thing it was missing was the friends she had mentioned. 

"Huh, they must be out right now. Well, now that we're alone, what say we drop the act? What kind of jobs do you do?" She said, trotting in to sit on the couch and looking back at Rin. Her knowing smile remained, and she raised an eyebrow. 

Archived