The Karaoke Kabinet [FIN]

Zeig

“You’ll fit right in, Limi!” Hibana laughed.

Well, if fitting in involved nearly soiling himself out of fear of a silly “accusation.” The kid would learn to loosen up sooner or later. Whether that required a bit of song and dance or a drink or eight was yet to be seen. Hopefully he could hold his liquor as well as the Dosanko tales of caribou said they could. While she wouldn’t be the one cleaning up after him, Hibana felt a twinge of guilt at the possibility of the club staff having to handle that kind of janitorial duty.

“Much? You’re going soft, Ryuichi-san!” Hibana snickered at her friend’s pronouncement. “Your judging used to be an overflowing sake gourd worth as far as the Dome and drink were concerned!”

Hyperbole to be sure. Ryuichi had a heart of gold of course. But that didn’t mean they couldn’t give each other horseapples about silly things.

Hibana stepped up to the stage and dialed in her selection, an upbeat funk number about mysteries lurking just below the surface of a quiet town just waiting to be uncovered. The shots served to loosen her lips and her move her hips to the beat as she sang.

As she wrapped up the piece, Hibana held up the mic and posed dramatically, much like the original artist would have. It was only a moment before she broke down laughing and had to return the mic to the stand lest she drop it. Having Ryuichi pick up the tab for a busted sound system was not on the agenda for the night. She had no idea how the lead singer managed to do shows without either pulling a muscle or laughing at his own posing.

“Sanda, you’re not driving the carriage home! Drink up!” she said, pointing at the ever faithful bodyguard. Turning to Ryuichi, she broke out in a cheesy grin. “Judgement-worthy enough for you, Oyabun?” She paused for a moment to pour a shot before eyeing Limi while still speaking to Ryuichi. “Maybe our caribou friend should be next, eh?”

Truth be told, Shiroi hadn't been thinking much ahead about how this evening would go for her.  Sure, going out, singing a song or two, maybe loosening that perpetual tightness in the back of her neck one or two degrees, that all was standard.  But so far, they were playing host to an international diplomat and putting a candidate for Ryuchi's consort through the paces.  Not that the latter knew it, by the looks of her.  Hoshi just seemed to be taking the matter like a celebrity guest, albeit with a slightly more natural comfort in conversation.  Having a cute golem around certainly helped.  The unicorn mare joined in the general chuckling at the subject of 'down time.'  "Long story short, you're looking at it right now. We don't normally have more than what we fight for."

He she paused, grinning, as she turned her attention back to the Shogun's younger brother.  "Although if you manage to carve out a little extra, I could spare a scrap or two if you come by, for sure."  For all the playful flirtiness the normally serious mare could manage, the offer was sincere enough.  Ishi was probably one of the few individuals right now who could interrupt her workday and not expect some kind of retribution...

Hibana, the next singer up, wasn't necessarily on that list herself.  Still, Shiroi had to admit she made a good show of it, and she raised her glass and cheered with the rest of them at the end.  "Aye, I think you're right.  Now that he's got his own drink, let him take his liquid courage and sing!"  She shouted encouragement to Limi, secure in the knowledge that her turn was a while yet...

6Fujs1J.png

A small smile came to the trainer as she looked around the table and the suite the party was in, "Well, I can assure you that you already seem to have a good grasp of the basic concepts of it." Her eyes came to the drink before her, the singing around her and the very fact they were in a karaoke box, "It wouldn't be too surprising that this was a rare occurrence for you. Even if I don't know all that much about the political situation, I know that running a country probably doesn't leave many chances for relaxation." Hoshi took another sip of her drink , her ears perking at the mention of apple bourbon, <"Could I try some of that after you, Sanda-Sama?">

Hibana's singing and the song she was matchign to made the trainer sway slightly in her seat, faintly humming along to the music as if she knew it by heart already. She'd actually gotten to hear this song a few times back with her crew. One of her friends there having shown her the manga that inspired it to which Hoshi could only describe as "Bizarre but fascinating". When song ended, a slightly tipsy Hoshi would give her fellow trainer a slightly subdued cheer. It was noticeable in that she stood up for a few moments before sitting back down. 

"That was great, Hibana-san! You're as great a showmare as when I first saw you in the dome!"

Seeing that Limi was up next, Hoshi looked over to the machine and then to their caribou visitor. "Maybe we could change the settings on the machine to Equestrian and not neighponese. Would that make it a bit easier for you?"

XqEzCsl.png

Just because Lími was told he'd fit right in hardly meant he felt it to be true. It also didn't comfort the young bull to learn that he'd have to make due with a substitute for honey mead. Like the cautious caribou he was, Lími sniffed the drink first just to make sure it wasn't anything nefarious. An irrational mindset maybe, but nobody was perfect. Finding nothing wrong with the smell, the next step for Lími was taking a careful sip of the Honeysuckle Shine. Slushing the liquid around his mouth for several seconds, the caribou swallowed..... then went for a bigger drink.

Huh, this stuff wasn't half-bad, actually! It wasn't the same as the cherished honey mead of old, but Honeysuckle Shine was close enough to honey mead for Lími's taste buds. Better than sake, definitely!

Too bad no one gave the fluffy ungulate a chance to savor his drink before trying to get him to sing. No matter how potent an alcoholic beverage was, it would take time for any effects to materialize. Until then, Lími would remain his usual tense self. "Ehhh... I don't know," he looked down on his glass; "I uhhh... I feel not the spirit of mirth in my heart. Without it, a caribou's singing voice has no power I'm afraid." Feeling more awkward than ever, Lími chugged down an even bigger dose of honey-flavored courage than before, about half a glass.

"Oh and y-yes, I suppose it would be wise to swap to the Equestrian alphabet when my turn comes along....."

MaK4wb6.png

A very un-Shogan like snort was Ryuichi's response to Hibana's teasing, but that didn't stop the Ryuma from singing her heart out on the stage. Ryuichi laughed and cheered with the rest of them, one ear trained on the performance, the other on the continued flow of conversation around him. 

True enough, he supposed - a closed party at a karaoke bar in the pleasure center of Polohama certainly qualified as downtime, one of the rare occurrences of such. In all honesty, the Ryuma felt that if he didn't have one of these precious moments in time to lounge back and behave like a stallion of his age every once in a while, why, he'd have lost it a long time ago. The newspapers would have raved over the tragically young Shogun who could not stand up to the national pressures of his station, perhaps a sure sign that the era of the Neighponese Shogun was coming to an end.

As it was, the close circle of advisors and friends he kept worked dual careers in keeping in sane, and Ryuichi raised his cup in salute of Hibana as the Kansei took her gleeful exit from the stage. "Just barely," the Shogun said mockingly, "but in deference to your tireless efforts and considerable dedication to the great nation of Neighpon...I shall graciously award you a pass." A quick swig of his drink - his very Equestrian drink - emphasized the point home, and Ryuichi did not settle the cup back down until it was nigh empty, a grimace gracing his features at the long draught of liquor he'd downed all at once. 

For a great Shogun was always capable of reading the atmosphere...and it was becoming increasingly clear who, with Lími's hesitation to take a turn at the karaoke station, would be set upon next to sing.

"I believe," the Shogun of Neighpon announced imperiously, the slight waving around of his cup-filled hoof the only sign so far of slipping inhibitions, "that I am suitably prepared to take hold of the battlefield." His loyal and faithful cup companion was slammed down onto the table as Ryuichi unfurled himself from his previously splayed out location, head held high with an arrogant tilt as if he were preparing to take position on the Seat of the Shogun rather than a karaoke stage. "Please hold all accolades and applause until the end." A pause. "Or shower your Shogun with praise directly in the middle. By your wish." Friends and advisors so instructed, Ryuichi sauntered up to the stage, grabbing up the microphone with one hoof while his tail scrolled through the crystal selections, ending up on a vaguely familiar song that he'd probably butcher halfway through.

Mostly because the song was not Neighponese, but the language of a neighboring country. Still fluent in practice, not necessarily in song.

But not because he was starting to be affected by drink, no. 

At least not very much.

Spoiler

• 2 weeks later...

"I just might have to take you up on that offer, Shiroi. It would certainly be a welcome distraction from my work. Speaking of, I'm going to turn this offer back on you, feel free to drop by my office if it pleases you." Ishi smiled at the mare, giving her another wink before looking back to the stage and clapping as Hibana finished up her song. Ah, it was certainly a familiar song, especially since he had read the entire manga series that inspired it. 

"Wonderful performance, Hibana. And I applaud your taste in music. Very nice." He said, smiling at her too. He loved reading manga when he had the free time to do so, a fact not likely known by any outside of the cabinet. Not because of any active effort to hide it, no. More because he hadn't the opportunity to do something more public with it. 

Regardless, the kirin downed another swig of his drink before giving a cheer as his brother decided it was time to take the stage. This was going to be fun, he could tell. 

-------------

Sandā looked over at Hibana as she spoke, the mare giving a sigh before drinking more of the Equestrian drink. Well, she couldn't say she disliked the appley drink, though it was very different than what she was used to. 

"<It is actually pretty tasty.>" She said as she passed the bottle to Hoshi, smiling some now. Perhaps she was finally relaxing, though wether that was a conscious decision or due to the alcohol had yet to be seen. In either case, the pegasus smiled as Ryu took the stage, her best friend attempting a song not of Neighpon and having mixed results from it. She was just glad she didn't have to go up there yet, she doubted she was ready. 

"<How's everything going?>" She asked Shiroi, moving over to the other mare. She was a little worried about their misstep with the caribou after that debate, though at the same time she couldn't care less what Sigrun said. She had no idea which side was more prominent, really...

• 3 weeks later...

Hibana waved agreement to Shiroi as she passed on her way to the couch, stopping momentarily to give Hoshi a wink. “Maybe I should have started a band instead of signing on with Raku-san, eh?”

Flopping down on the couch again, she sighed and smiled as she drank in not only her alcohol but the atmosphere. Limi’s pronouncements momentarily drew her attention.

“Not a problem, Limi my friend!” Hibana said in perfect Equestrian Common. “The system can display in multiple languages. It should be easy to find something you’re comfortable with!”

Hibana was sure to give the most obnoxious of wolf whistles from the couch as Ryuichi took the stage. She nursed her drink slowly now, having downed enough to prime herself for the evening and just on the cusp of a nice buzz. Her head bobbed along to the swells and breaks of the melody and her hooves tapped in time to the beat. When he was finished, Hibana drummed her hooves on the floor in applause.

“I would have given you more adulation in the middle,” she laughed, “But I’d hate to have given you more to struggle with!”

The jeer was done in jest, of course. Not everypony was as gifted in linguistics as Hibana, not even the Shogun, though she legitimately applauded the try at a non-native tongue. Besides, Ryuichi and she went back far enough to know what was joke and what was deliberate criticism. Familiarity was the reason she had been comparatively light on Limi’s reluctance to join in on the festivities. With much of his drink now gone, however, he would hopefully be more amenable to such pursuits. While waiting on Limi to decide, the bodyguard’s stiff demeanor caught Hibana’s eye.

She gave Sanda a sidelong glance, “Surely you aren’t still thinking business, Sanda?”

Shiroi's face was open into one of it's rare, genuinely unguarded smiles.  And it only took Ishi's full charm and two shots of sake to do it!  "You got yourself a deal, handsome!"  She raised her glass in a toast to seal the deal.  Whether or not anything came of it later would be an open question, but hey!  No harm in seeing a little more of a handsome kirin, right?

Speaking of which, it seemed the Shogun himself would be next, rather than the ambassador.  Well, fair enough; Ryuchi was by no means a bad singer, language difficulties aside.  And the non-sobriety bit, but who cared at that point?  She was in the same mood as Sanda came up to her, nudging and winking at the pegasus as she came over.  "Looks pretty good up there, don't he?"  She laughed, debating over another shot, before shaking her head.  Reward for her second song, that would be it.

"Yeah!"  She chimed in with Hibana.  "Even I'm off duty for the night, Sanda.  Enjoy yourself!  This won't happen again for a while..."  She sighed, not quite able to shake the melancholy reflection.  Let us sing, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow we must go to work again.  Perhaps she'd start on that third one after all.

She shook her head decisively, pausing a moment while the sloshing stopped.  No, definitely need to wait a bit.  The mood was dropping, she needed another song.  She looked up, spying Hoshi beginning to retire in the background.  "Hey, I think you're next!  Show me the mare who dazzles out Shogun at the Arena, eh?"

6Fujs1J.png

Was nice to see that their fluffy caribou friend was acclimating now. He still seemed to be afflicted with a case of the stage-fright. Honestly, she couldn't blame him. At this point, she could fully understand his reluctance, perhaps not for the same reasons as his own though. Both of them were relative outsiders to this group of political powerhouses who could probably get away with making them up and disappear, like that crazy conspiracy obsessed cousin of hers who would talk about how the Shogunate had super secret ninjas that foal-napped ponies who didn't behave... or maybe that was just him trying to freak her out on that one sleepover she had with him.

Once she'd gotten her mind back on track from that self-induced mental diversion, Hoshi would smile at Limi. "No need to worry, I'll be sure ta swap them once you're ready."

Now that the Shirudo had offered her that drink from the apple bourbon bottle, Hoshi bowed her head in respect,"Thank you very much, Sanda-sama." While Rakuen-heika was taking the stage, Hoshi was pouring herself a drink. Her eyes would follow the shogun to the stage with that confident saunter. While she watched him approach the stage she figured he could be a great golem trainer if his path had turned out differently. She admired his clear enthusiasm for the song, it was a shame she couldn't really understand it, luckily she was still the kind of mare who could listen to music she couldn't understand for hours so long as it sounded nice: This one definitely had a type of passion and energy to it too! A flush came to her cheeks as she realised she'd been staring at the shogun and quickly looked back to her drink only to cringe when she noticed she'd overfilled her glass and now had left a bit of a puddle on the table. 

She would glance around for some towels until she was jarred out of her search by Hibana. Hoshi would give the familiar face a small smile tinged with relief, "You definitely have the pipes for it... and the attitude!" Soon she fished a few towels from underneath the tables with her tail and would try to soak up her mess. Her hooves picked up the glass carefully, tring to balance the overfilled cup and keep it from spilling another drop. Her only ally in this struggle would the surface tension of the beverage she sought to imbibe. Carefully she brought it to her lips and took a drink until the bourbon was at a manageable level inside the cup. Such an ordeal! "I think you could still start one, Hibana-san. Maybe Rakuen-heika could share vocal duty with you."

At this rate, she might be able to get through the night without having to potentially embarrass herself in a song. If she stayed low perhaps she could just have the rest of them forget as alcohol ran its course through the mind. Hoshi had sung karaoke before, but with very close friends in her crew. With them, she knew she could mess up and they'd laugh it off. She'd still only met most of these ponies tonight, one of which she was a candidate for marriage! Even though she wasn't able to get a perfect taste of what really went on in the shogun's head, she still knew it was important to make a good first impression. 

Then along came Shiroi...

The Pegasus's wings would jump out and spread with an impressive and clearly practised speed, fast enough to lightly whack Hibana and whoever was on the other side of the golem trained on the back of their head. The first thought going through her head was, "Hibana will probably never let me forget this." The golem trainer's cheeks were now flushed, if it wasn't from the alcohol it was probably from the embarrassment before she tucked her wings away. "Gomen, Gomen." She would bow in apology to Hibana and whoever else was on the receiving end of her surprise induce wing extension. Hoshi would need to hype herself up before she could confidently sing. One long swig of her bourbon later she took in a deep breath and brought up her hoof to turn her cap's visor forward and dip it forward, an action that Hibana or any Golem fight fan might realise was a gesture she made when she was being entirely focused on something.

She sucked in a deep breath through her nostrils and rouse from her seat to begin scrolling through the songs, "Come on... It's got to be in here somewhere-- Ah-ha!" 

With the assistance of her wings, she took to the stage with great haste. Kuzu had perked up when she heard the first few notes of the song and jumped to life on Shibo's head in glee. A gentle tapping on the stage came along as the soft beginning of the song began to play. It was only a few chords of what sounded like a faintly distorted guitar that went quiet... Then came a thunderous drumbeat and a more hot blooded guitar to accompany it. This was a song she knew by heart by now, the lyrics spoke of an unceasing storm inside, determination and hope to push you through the fight of your life! At least that's what it meant for Hoshi, she'd hummed this tune a million times over when she was first starting and she could even hear its echoes in her head when she was nearing victory with Kuzunoha in the dome.

Something in the beat seemed to excite the theatrical part of her as she sung. Hoshi couldn't keep still to this tune even if she tried. The Pegasus swayed and even posed with the microphone a few times. One couldn't say her performance lacked enthusiasm or energy, seeing as by the end she was sweating and huffing with a smile under that hat as it cast shadows over her eyes. Once the song finished up its last little crescendo she descended and turned her cap backwards with a sigh of relief, "Um... How was that?" 

Spoiler

XqEzCsl.png

Having momentarily escaped the soul-piercing spotlight, Lími was more or less left to his own devices. By the time Ryuichi finished his song, Lími's mug had been drained of Honeysuckle Shine. All that drinking was starting to work its magic. "I sense something," the caribou vocally commented to himself, keenly observing the tightly gripped mug; "A slight tingle in my hoof." And an inability to keep his inner monologue to himself. "...It may be affecting me....."

The server must have had a knack for knowing when she was needed, for she came back to pour Lími a refill. Just like that, everything in the world felt right for the young bull. One more drink, and his mug was already half-empty! A silly grin of contentment was even breaking out over Lími's face around the time the next song finished. An opinion-seeking question was asked by the singer, and the caribou no longer could keep his thoughts locked inside his head; "...No worries, *hic*. You probably sing better than I!"

...Was hiccuping normal when drinking Honeysuckle Shine? How odd- *HIC*.....

MaK4wb6.png

Not so much a shower, as a light sprinkling of praise. 

But considering his current state of sobriety, he would accept that. 

Ryuichi took a steady bow as he hoofed the microphone over to Shirogane with aa theatrical flourish, grinning in Hibana's direction. He was a skilled linguist, naturally, but singing took on different structures and rhythms that tended not to mix so well with alcohol. He supposed it might prove a problem if he was ever required to attend a formal karaoke banquet in Canterlot or somewhere such. Luckily - or was it sadly? - that had never been the case. 

Hmm...something to bring up at the next Shogunate meeting, perhaps.

For now, however, the Shogun of Neighpon carefully made his way back to his seat, folding himself downwards with grace and elegance, before all but collapsing against Sandā"Nonsense," the Ryuma exclaimed at Lími's drunken proclamation, his hoof draped companionably around Sandā's shoulders even as he kept the Caribou in his line of sights, "I'm sure you've a lovely singing voice. Or if all else fails, perhaps some poetry instead!" He hadn't forgotten about the debacle that had brought LIMI to his figurative and literal doorstep in the first place, after all, and by all reports the Caribou was a skilled poet. Not that he had been around to hear any poetry first hoof, but the two foreigners hadn't simply been given free, unsupervised reign of the Palace Castle either.

"Isn't that right, Sandā," Ryuichi questioned unnecessarily, leaning further on the yellow Pegasus, "we could do with a bit of skillful poetry." The Ryuma's head swayed slightly in time with the music, an upbeat and entirely enthusiastic song accompanied by an upbeat and entirely enthusiastic singer, and Ryuichi was quick to signal for another sake cup so he could have something to actually toast with. 

Flailing around an empty hoof was most unbecoming of the Shogun of Neighpon, after all.

• 2 weeks later...

2i21ix2.png

Aegis had been running latter then she had hoped, her last meeting for day taking much more time then planned leaving her with little time in which to go home and get ready. The invitation was to join Shogun for one of his karaoke nights with the rest of the Shogunate, though up to this point she hadn't the chance to go to such things. This experience, of meeting with those that she had previously only worked more formally with in a casual setting, was going to be an interesting. Still, if the unicorn was to be honest, she could think back to a number of parties and events her father had setup that she had been to. Many times even singing for the guests, though this would be a first in a setting such as this.

She had been told to come casual, though Aegis was not the sort to neglect her appearance or go anywhere without making an impression. Some aspects, she simply had to accept given her ancestory such as the strips on her legs revealing a certain zebra influence down her family line. Others, were more purely by choice such as the piece of gold jewelry over her horn which left some to at first think her horn was made of gold. It didn't effect her ability to use magic though, given the design and in how to was crafted, but it was a defining feature the mare felt in who she was.

Making her way to the Watertrough District and to the Pony Pulse was made easier as she had transportation waiting for her to be ready to leave, and after a promise of paying a bonus was able to get there quite quickly. Once finding her way to where the Shogun and the others would be, and on being recognized by the guards to be let in Aegis will take a moment to take in the room as well those within. It appeared the festivities had begin without her, though most of the faces she recognized expect for perhaps two or three. This counting a pegasus mare with a golem and more surprisingly a caribou.

Walking to where Ryu and many of the others were, leaving the mare to offer a respectful bow to the Shogun before offering, "My apologizes Rakuen-Heika for my lateness, it took a bit longer to wrap everything up today. I hope I haven't missed to much?"  Hopefully, her not being there until now hadn't brought about any issues though everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves with already a few having gone up to sing and have a few drinks.

She looked to the others, offering a warm smile even to those she was unfamiliar with as she offers politely, "Greetings, it is a pleasure to be here with you all." Aegis was not one to allow nerves to get the better of her, especially since apart from the Shogun himself the mare was more among equals, that and she was simply a very friendly sort even if she often used such purposefully in meetings.

OOC Also, among the Shogunate, you all can decide how well your characters all know Aegis. Given how long she has had her position, or at least been working with the Office of Ambassador, she would have probably interacted with the others at least few times. I'd even offer perhaps, that given her personality, I could see the mare possibly even considering many among the Shogunate to be her friends as well as colleagues.

Ishi returned the smile warmly, raising his own glass in a toast to their friendship. He liked talking with Shiroi, though to be fair he liked talking with all the shogunate members. Well, the friendly ones, at any rate. Lucky for him, the majority were of the friendly sort! The kirin chuckled to himself as he drank down some more alcohol, applauding Hoshi's performance as she finished it up and left the stage area. Shibo, meanwhile, was just bearing the assault on his head, not wanting to throw the smaller golem off quite yet.

"Wonderful job there, Hoshi!" He replied to her questioning, giving her a toast before finishing off what was left in the glass and setting it down. Perhaps now was the time for him to go up there again, maybe find  song in Equestrian for the benefit of their guest. He was about to stand and do just that when likely the last member of their group that was going to show up did so. He gave a wide smile to the mare, waving her in. "Likewise, Aegis, always a pleasure to see you around. Ah, before I forget, our guests here are Hoshi from the arena, and Limi from the caribou lands." He said, pointing to them in turn. "Limi, Hoshi, this is Aegis, Neighpon's wonderful ambassador."

With that out of the way, he gave everyone another warm smile before making his way to the stage and scrolling through until he found one that was perfect for his goal here. "This one is for our friendly caribou visitor, I hope you enjoy your night, Limi!" He gave the caribou a nod before starting the song up, dancing and tapping his hoof along to it.

-----------------------

Sanda wasn't quite having as good of a time, though she was getting there. She didn't even freeze up as Ryu draped himself across her, and she considered that some progress towards relaxing. The pegasus mare sighed at the response she got to her question, opting to simply take another drink to try and calm herself down. It didn't really help that it seemed she was the only thing keeping Ryu from falling over at this point, though she still found a way to relax by leaning back against him to keep him from falling over completely even as the newcomer arrived. She simply gave a nod to the other mare, too occupied with her drink and keeping Ryu up to really say anything.

Shiroi was quick to render judgment upon Hoshi's performance.  "Fan-tastic!"  She wasn't shouting anymore, as she had moved past the boistrous stage of inebriation into the stages of exaggerated normalcy, leaning her body into all her gestures in an attempt to make them as clear as possible.  In a way, it was an attempt to prove that she wasn't as drunk as she actually was, an obviously counter-productive strategy.

She herself would probably be called on stage soon, she supposed.  After Limi, perhaps.  That would be the start of the second cycle, if she wasn't mistaken, but she had no idea what she would be singing next.  It seemed Ishi was taking care of that, while Ryuchi was currently sprawling against his guard.  If the intoxicated lean against the intoxicated, shall not both fall?  This evening would probably bring an answer to that question, at least.

Speaking of answers....  "Well, konbanwa!  I'm usually the last to leave my office, glad you could make it at least."  Shiroi greeted Aegis in an uncharacteristically rambling manner, patting a seat next to her.  She couldn't say that her relations with the ambassador were more than professionally cordial, but then, as the Ginjutsu-sha, she hadn't been the most social of the Cabinet members.

XqEzCsl.png

"Poetry, you say?" Lími seemed surprised by the Shogun's knowledge of what transpired privately after their meeting, but appeared not all that flustered; "Well, I suppose it's *HIC* good to know that Mei isn't the only one who holds my verses in high regard. Although *HIC* I cannot recall you being around to witness my recitation, Ryuichi. Were you eh heh heh, spying on us and Mei when we *HIC* locked our lips together in celebration of our discovered our bond of love? I still *HIC* remember... Mei tastes just like... flowers; ummm, all of them, you know?"

An inability to keep secrets when under Honeysuckle Shine's spell... this bode ill for Clan Askr's de facto envoy.

Speaking of ambassadors, here now was Neighpon's. "So you are Neighpon's emissary?" Lími wobbly rose up from his seat with an incredibly dumb grin on his face; "We must be related! Lími of *HIC* Clan Askr," the caribou placed his hoof — which so happened to be holding his drink — over his chest; "At your service." A nod of the head... then a large sip from his mug, since it was there in Lími's hoof already. There wasn't much time to bandy further words though; a song dedicated to the Caribou had played and finished, leaving the gesture to be repaid!

"So then... at last the Son of Sigrun will do his duty and *HIC* sing to make my forefathers proud." Finishing the last of his refill, a merry Lími set aside his mug in the traditional Viking Caribou manner; by chucking it onto the ground! Ambling his way up to the karaoke machine (which someone was kind enough to put on the Equestrian language setting), the Caribou of Whitescar had a look through all the names of songs provided. One big problem though:

"Odýrr, hahaha!" Lími expressed bemusement in his predicament; "I know not *HIC* which song to choose. There's just... so many of them! A-ahahahah!!!" Important note: drinks did not cure the young bull of indecisiveness. "Well, whatever all our *HIC* ancient works of lore say about you Neighponese... a realm with *HIC* so many ballads and cherry blossoms and Honeysuckles to choose from can't be all bad."

MaK4wb6.png

Ryuichi was mere seconds away from doing his very best to impersonate a Shogun-esque starfish against Sandā.

Ryuichi was aware that he should have been vaguely concerned about this fact.

Ryuichi was more aware, however, of the grey and gold figure that suddenly made its entrance into the room without being tackled by the guards standing vigilant outside the doorway, meaning said figure had to be someone he knew well. Or, a pony that someone else knew well, Ryuichi briefly thought as he cast a somewhat surly look towards his traitorous brother and his traitorous friendship with a traitorous golem trainer...which was treason.

Probably. Somewhere in the annuls of Shogunate history, there was a rule about knowing golem trainers without the express knowledge of the Shogun, Ryuichi was thirty-six percent sure of it.

"Aegis," the Ryuma greeted warmly once the grey and gold figure identified itself as one Ambassador of Neighpon, arriving late to the festivities but looking as cheerful as ever. "Think nothing of it," he proclaimed, waving a magnanimous hoof through the air as he sat himself upright on the sofa, no longer threatening to fall straight on top of Sandā"you've arrived in good time. Please, help yourself to the sake, the sushi, the..." a brief wave of his hoof through the air, "everything else." 

There. Ought to cover all the basics well enough.

Even those basics knowledges that a Shogun was to be made aware of when foreign guests were wandering the Palace Castle. "Never," the Shogun of Neighpon exclaimed, holding a hoof against his chest in good faith, "would I have dreamt of intruding on you and your beloved's moment under the cherry blossoms." He had plenty of Vanguard to do the intruding for him, after all. "A toast to your fair Mei! When can we expect an invitation to the wedding?" Ryuichi stated, then asked, and followed both with a liberal gulp from his sake cup.

He was not so deep in his cup to start waxing poetic on the taste of Mei like some Caribou were wont to do, after all. Gently inspired to be a bit freer with his thoughts...maybe. But not completely and utterly out of his mind, no. A Shogun could not afford to do that even in the company of good friends and trusted advisors. 

A lonely bedroom was a far better place for it. He'd have to remember to order extra sake to bring back to the Palace Castle.

Shirogane finished up her song then, and Ryuichi lazily watched the Pegasus step down from the stand to make way for Ishi, who began a song that...did the opposite of making him want to tap his hoof and bob his head and seemed entirely unfitting for a karaoke bar in the middle of the pleasure district of Polohama. He hadn't even known that the Pony Pulse had these sort of, Caribou Viking-esque songs to sing to. If he'd been any other pony, Ryuichi might have been tempted to make a face - as it was, he merely raised an eyebrow as he cast a glance over towards their Caribou visitor, who was also hovering close to the stage and scrolling through the song list in order to prepare for his song. Apparently Ishi was attempting to make Lími feel more at home inside the Pony Pulse, though Ryuichi was fairly certain said Caribou was too out of it to properly appreciate the effort.

The Ryuma left them to it as he gestured for the golem trainer to join him then, moving off the couch to settle on one of the smaller, side couches as he beckoned the Pegasus forward. Because hay. If Ishi was going to sneakily go behind his back and invite golem trainers to these karaoke gatherings, then by the ancestors he was going to take advantage of that fact. 

"Come, Shirogane," Ryuichi said once she had gotten close enough, "sit with me a bit. We've just to truly speak. I told you I've followed your time in the Polohama Dome? As much as I've been able to. You rose to prominence in such a short amount of time." 

6Fujs1J.png

Having come down from her little performance, she would return her cap to it's backwards position. It was almost like she'd flipped a switch that allowed her a degree of relaxation again. Maybe the singing was all she needed to unwind, or more likely the alcohol was just now influencing her decision making and attitude. When she took a look at her shaky hooves, Hoshi was about ninety percent certain it was the drinks she had now. Her impulse that made her want to bring Ishi into a hug after his compliments to her performance also lent some credence to the 'I'm getting drunk' theory, instead of hugging him though she would smile at the prince, "Thank you, Ishi-san! I did my best although I think we've had some more passionate performances tonight then my own."

Even though she was starting to feel unsteady, Hoshi still had enough of a clear head to bow to the arrival of the ambassador. The mare seemed to be one of the ponies that went by an equestrian sounding name, interesting.

"It's nice to meet you, Aegis-Sama." The golem trainer would bow to her and Shiroi as well, "And Shiroi-sama I'm glad you liked my performance!"

Out of the corner of her eye she saw Ryuichi trying to get her attention. He'd moved to a slightly more isolated spot away from the larger group. A small smile came to Hoshi's muzzle and she approached, trying to keep her stride steady before she sat down. While she wasn't too sure that Ryuchi could hear it, she let out a small laugh when his first topic was the dome. If anything she couldn't say they didn't have similar interests at least this soon after meeting,"It took a great deal of work and time even before I got to the dome, Rakuen-Heika. Even Before I -- I'm sorry. That's more of an answer some pony might give at an interview isn't it? Simply put... well I started golem training early on, a lot of them were just with Kuzu in back alleys with other fillies and colts who liked pretending they were the big leagues. I suppose I developed some essential skills a bit quicker than the others there and I brought some of those with me when me and my team decided to take things to a professional level." 

2i21ix2.png

@PyroBlaze, @PrinceBlueblood, @Bellosh, @Zeig, @Pretzelparty

Looking to Ishi, the mare smiles before replying to his words, "Likewise a pleasure Ishi." She will look to the two being introduce, offering a respectful bow to the golem fighter and caribou. She will take a glass and drink to the toast given to Limi. Aegis was glad to have finally arrived, and intrigued with the new faces as well. Seems that she will have a few to speak with she hadn't before though the unicorn did plan on going up to at least do one song. She does give a greeting to Sanda well, offering a small smile.

Looking to Shiroi, the mare gains a somewhat sheepish expression that her words. Aegis will reply, "Yes, normally I am here before you but surprisingly my work ran longer to today. Things were a bit more frustrating in being wrapped up."The unicorn smiled as she sat next to her, glad to see the Ginjutsu-sha more friendly manner today though Aegus suspected it was in part because of the alcohol as she says, "I am glad to see you here though, staying by yourself too much isn't healthy."

To Lími's question, the mare replies warmly, "Yes, that I am. As the land's Ambassador it falls on me to generally meet with foreign dignitaries and help make sure Neighpon keeps strong relations with other nations. The work can be a bit overwhelming but I manage," She was confused by what the caribou meant by saying that they were related, but let it be as Aegs grew a bit concerned with how much Limi had been drinking. She will say as well though, "Good to meet you as well." The mare then watches as he goes up to sing, hoping it goes well.

She will offer a deep bow of respect to the Shogun, smiling warmingly before saying, "Ryuma-Heika, an honor as always to come before you." The unicorn listens to him brush off her being late, even saying that she was just on time, and kept herself from insisting to formally given how this was intended to be a more informal gathering. Instead, Aegis will say, "Once those already up finish, I was thinking to sing before drinking too much. So as to offer my best before getting too far into the festivities." This was in part, because she was always curious to see how those who had never heard her sing react when she did.

Turning to Hoshi once she had come down from her performance, Aegis will ask, "Please, I am not deserving of such a high term of respect. I simply serve the Shogun to the best of my capabilities." Being given the title of Sama felt more then a bit embarrassing, and even a but unexpected, though it appears she was addressing a few there was such. About to continue, she sees the mare head over to where Ryuichi and realized that she;d have to wait until later to ask any questions involving Hoshi choice of work.

• 2 weeks later...

XqEzCsl.png

A couple more minutes of browsing the song selection passed, and Lími still couldn't decide on something. Not to worry though, for he had drank from the mug of Honeysuckle Shine, granting him the courage to do what he was about to do next. "Of course!!!" In his excitement, the young bull shoved the karaoke stand aside... perhaps a bit too carelessly, for it wobbled and toppled down without an attentive caribou to straighten it out.. "How about I sing *HIC*... a song of my people! Whichever one comes up first in my mind shall do... Ahh, I've got it!"

Naturally, the first ballad to enter Lími's remembrance involved the city of Kyoma. That single fact by itself made it worthy to be sung out loud to this Neighponese audience; what other considerations needed to be accounted for? Screw carefulness; you only live once! Lími would have to do this with only his thunderous off-key voice and his memory of how the melody went, but those alone would undoubtedly be enough to win hearts and minds.

The caribou bull cleared his throat.....

We were fresh from the sea

Our loot sacks full of money

When me and me maties, we saw an onsen spa

No sooner had we arrived

Than one mug turned to nine

And a mare grabbed me by the horns and threw me in the springs

The shimmersilk we all donned

Jewels of which I'm fond

We'd rob them with cheap alcohol so they wouldn't leave our sides

Before the night was through

We each stole one or two

Until morning when our rower bucks were all snatched up by brides

We drank fifteen kegs of mead

Wine bottles downed in greed

We ransacked all their sushi bars, we drank down all their stew

And when they were all dry

We would not just stand by

A raiding party went around to liberate more brew

Things started to go queer

When Skotur stole Öxi's beer

So he put his hoof into Skotur's face and started up a fight

Well, the brawl raged all aroun'

And we burned that village down

But we rescued all the kegs so we could drink on through the night

Oh Mother, don't wake me

Don't jostle or shake me

I spent all night drinking with my maties at the spa

And if I never wake

Don't cry and don't shake

Just sing the glorious tales of our last night in Kyoma

“Now my head *HIC*... is sore and achy

Me bones... are bruised *HIC* and creaky

And I don't... expect that I... *HIC*... should live to see the sun's next light

So tell uhhh... tell my cow in Heil

I'll *HIC*... love her in exile

But in the morning... if I'm living.....

I'll be back TOMORROW NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT...............................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Holding that final note proved too much for Lími's vocal cords to handle. Tried as he might, the young bull's valiant effort was rewarded by a fainting spell and a loud lifeless crash onto the karaoke stage. Going out with more of a whimper than a bang, Lími was little more than a sleeping body reeking of the smell of honey. Welp, at least the caribou of poor judgement wasn't awake to witness the aftermath.....

[Exit?]

OOC Note:

Spoiler

Credit goes to Dusty for the lyrics, with some touch-up by me. Tune is based off this merry melody:

MaK4wb6.png

Ryuichi leaned his head on one hoof as he idly listened to Shirogane talk, eyes falling half-lidded in ease and companionability. Her answer was fairly standard, though he wasn't entirely sure what it is he had really hoped for. Perhaps a specific, momentous turning point that had caused Shirogane's life to turn around, prompted her ascent to golem trainer? Something bard-worthy and epic, like a golem duel to the death against an unsurmountable opponent she had nonetheless conquered?

Or...something.

"Seems to be the way of it, doesn't it," Ryuichi stated rather sagely, waving his sake cup around in a manner that appeared both magnanimous and imperious all at once. "Learned in foalhood and translated into adulthood - such experiences and lessons can often shape a pony's future quite unknowingly." There might have been a hint of personal experience shining through the Ryuma's words, but for the most part it was simple camaraderie as Ryuichi took another sip from his cup, intent on refreshing himself before drilling Shirogane on her first battles in the Dome.

All good intent, until a familiar voice began bellowing at the top of his lungs.

At first, Ryuichi was certain the language barrier was disrupting his efforts to understand clearly. But even as his head swung around to stare incredulously at the young bull, the words continued making sense to his, admittedly, somewhat dulled brain. 

In that, they continued to make no sense.

Surely...surely, Lími could not be singing something so heinous and insulting to the near entirety of the Shogunate, could he? Never mind the Shogunate, he couldn't be singing a ballad on the ransacking of Kyoma anywhere in Neighpon surrounded by Neighponese ponies, could he?

Oh.

Ancestors.

The riptide of fury that coursed through him was, all things considering, not unsurprising in the least. 

But, he was not Shogun of Neighpon for nothing. Lími's clearly unbalanced state, his swaying and his flushed cheeks, made it only too obvious what had prompted such a disturbing and insulting song, and only exemplified exactly why Ryuichi never permitted himself drunkenness in the company of others. From an awkward and almost painfully polite young dignitary, to a bawling scoundrel heedlessly slicing open ancient and modern injuries amongst the many seated ponies...no, the two simply didn't coincide together under normal circumstances. 

And a plethora of Honeysuckle Mead was most certainly not normal circumstances.

The stunned silence that followed the Caribou's fainting spell seemed almost suffocating in its nature, and Ryuichi realized he most likely only had a few moments to act before all chaos broke loose - not to mention the start of a potential war if Askr's dignitary was returned in several broken pieces. "Ah...clearly, our young friend has little tolerance for our spirits," Ryuichi stated out loud, subtly waving a hoof at the stationed guard. "To sing such a wretched song in our company...clan Askr has little experience in cultural sensitivity, I've found." Not that he believed Lími had been anywhere near his right mind, no...but he couldn't very well laugh and wave off the Caribou's song as if it had been nothing but a fond joke. Drunkenness was no excuse for ignorance, after all. If one could not control their tongue when dipped in sake, one should abstain for drinking at all. And he had to make clear his disapproval, or risk appearing as a doting and foolish Shogun.

"Take him," the Ryuma commanded dismissively to the waiting guard - but quickly amended, "whole and unharmed, to his guest rooms at the Palace Castle." The guards, who had been looking positively murderous beforehoof, seemed all the more annoyed for the amendment, but dutifully carried the sleeping Caribou off the stage and out the door, to speak with the guards stationed outside. "Perhaps, Aegis," the Ryuma said as an aside once Lími had been taken out of the room, "now might be the time for your turn on the stage. As you said, best to sing before getting too deep into your cups."   

Good advice for a certain Caribou, for the next time. If there were to be a next time.

[[ OOC :

The RP is beginning to wind down - right now, the thread is planned to end the next time Shiroi sings on stage - so if your character has got something to do or say, do or say it! ]]

2i21ix2.png

@PyroBlaze, @PrinceBlueblood, @Bellosh, @Zeig, @Pretzelparty

As perhaps almost as surprised as Ryuichi on how things had turned out, Aegis,watched in concern and worry as the caribou was taken out of the room and to his room. She had a strong feeling that Lími would be mortified at his mistake once it was explained what happened the next morning, and the mare felt it important for her to meet with him later after she discusses such with the Shogun. As Ambassador, she felt it was under her realm of duties to help work things out. The insult was without question, and upset even her to have heard such a ballad.

Offering a somewhat uncertain smile, realizing it may take some work to improve the mood currently in the room, Aegis will say with a bow, "Oh course Ryuma-Heika, I will see how I might help get things back on track." Still bothered a bit, the unicorn takes as few deep breaths as she makes her way to the karaoke machine and finding herself asking 'Why was that song even listed?'. Still, she will take a bit of time to get things setup and gather herself.

Once a song was chosen, that of a song which was also a cautionary tale of seeking that which one can never have:

A young stallion walked through the forest

With his quiver and hunting bow

He heard a young mare singing

And followed the sound below

There he found the maiden

Who lives in the willow

He called to her as she listened

From a ring of toadstools red

"Come with me, my maiden

Come from thy willow bed"

She looked at him serenely

And only shook her head

"See me now

A ray of light in the moondance

See me now

I cannot leave this place

Hear me now

A strain of song in the forest

Don't ask me

To follow where you lead"

With a flower and coat of green

His love had a mane like fire

Her eyes an emerald sheen

She wrapped herself in beauty

So young and so serene

He stood there under the willow

And he gave her the yellow bloom

"Miss, my heart you've captured

Oh, I would be your groom"

She said she'd wed him never

Not near, nor far, nor soon

[Chorus]

With an axe sharp as a knife

"I'll take the green-eyed spirit

And she shall be my wife

With her I'll raise my foals

With her I'll live my life"

The maiden wept when she heard him

When he said he'd set her free

He took his axe and used it

To bring down her ancient tree

"Now your willow's fallen

Now you belong to me"

[Chorus]

She followed him out the forest

And collapsed upon the earth

Her feet had walked but a distance

From the green land of her birth

She faded into a flower

That would bloom for one bright eve

He could not take from the forest

What was never meant to leave

Once she was finished, Aegis will look up to see others reactions and hope that the calm melody might ease the upset of before. Still, there was a certain sorrow to the song, that she hoped would not mellow the mood too much as she gives a small bow. The mare will then step down and seek a place to sit. To always left her a nervous when first stepping onto a stage, yet once the music begin to play and she started to sing all else would fade as her focus turned to that of the beat or melody.

The Willow Maid

Spoiler

• 4 weeks later...

Up until now, the night had been going very well for Shiroi.  She'd hit it off well with Ishi, enough for her to risk leaning against him as the sake made its merry way through her bloodstream.  Aegis was proving to be a pleasant chatting companion as well, and the ginjutsu-sha was favoring her with a rare smile as she replied, "My work is never done... I just need to not use that as an excuse to sleep at my office, I guess.  If I'm never going to finish... maybe I shouldn't keep trying?"  

Her brow furrowed, Shiroi was teetering on the edge of a great epiphany... but then, her poise on the peak of enlightenment was shattered, as Limi's frankly astongishingly tasteless suggestion of a song poked the mare right in her foreign policy sore spot, sending her tumbling down into the abyss of fury.  As soon as she comprehended what was going on, she sat bot upright, spilling the bottle of sake all over the remains of the sushi plate as her hoof slammed on the table.  She sputtered, not able to form words in her unstable state.  Fortunately, the Shogun was more alert than her, smoothing over the situation as best he could, arranging for the discreet removal of Limi before Shiroi could proceed to bite his antlers off.

She rocked back in her seat, still fuming, as Aegis sang her rapturous folk melody.  The music entirely failed to sooth the savage fury barely contained within the unicorn, and once the ambassador stepped down from the stage, Shiroi stepped out, intent on letting her emotions out upon the microphone.  She knew just the song to do it, too.  "Alright," She began, holding her slurs back behind clenched teeth.  "I'm gonna close out the night with a number that caribou will hear all the way from his hotel room!"

Whether or not Limi would be able to hear it, Shiroi wouldn't fail for lack of trying.  She delivered the opening line with a scream that could have put her in contention to lead any high school metal band: "BAP-TIZED IN FIRE, 40 TO 1!"

Most of the company would have recognized the song once it got going; it was in fact a direct reply, in its way, to Limi's song, telling the story of the sacking Kyoma, and the whole caribou invasion for that matter, from the other side, emphasizing the brave and nearly overwhelmed defense of the homeland in those few hopeless first years.  Particularly, it referred to the initial guards deployed to delay the Vikings while the whole garrison could mobilize a defense of the capital:

So silent before the storm,

Awaiting command.

A few have been chosen to stand,

As one, outnumbered by far.

The orders from their Daimyo:

Fight back, hold your ground!

In early September it came,

A war, unknown to the world!

No Viking breaks under the roofs,

That are protected by Neighpon hooves!

Unless you are 40 to 1,

Your force will soon be undone - Undone!

Baptized in fire 40 to 1;

Spirit of samurai, death and glory.

Soldiers of Neighpon, second to none!

Rage of berzerkers brought to a halt!

The 8th of September it starts,

The Raids from the ice.

A barrage of axeblows and swords,

Stand fast, the barriers must hold!

Their captain has pledged his life;

I'll face my fate here!

The sounds of their battlecries roar,

So fierce, the thunder of war!

So come bring on all that you've got,

Come Hell, come High Water never stop!

Unless you are 40 to 1,

Your lives will soon be undone - Undone!

Always remember, a fallen soldier,

Always remember, daughters and sons at war.

Always remember, daughters and sons at war.

Always remember, you live in history!

No Viking breaks under the roofs,

That are protected by Neighpon hooves!

Unless you are 40 to 1,

Your force will soon be undone - Undone!

The song dropped Shiroi off at the end, leaving her slumped over on the stage.  She'd poured all the rage in her heart out in that song; if she had her way, it would pound all night through Limi's skull, waking him early from nightmare-riddled sleep with the worst hangover in his life.  It might have been a bit of a sour note to end a night of song and fun on, but for Shiroi, she couldn't imagine any other way.  The guards would have to cart her off to her own room as well, at this rate, as she was already dozing over the microphone...

And thus ended the evening, with a bang, at least, followed by a gentle snore.

[Exit Shiroi; Finis]

Archived