A Noodle and the Moon (closed:Rex)

RainbowFoxxy

Image result for princess luna bannerImage result for princess celestia banner

"Sister?" Celestia made her way softly down the corridor that lead to her sister's chambers. "Luna? I haven't seen you much at all this evening. You vanished right after the moon rose. Where are you?"

"Oh!"

Luna looked up from where she had been staring. At a mirror placed in front of her on her vanity. The Princess of the Night had been deep in thought, only stopping her process while her nightly duty of raising the moon took place. Now that was finished and the moon princess had time to think once more. 

What she was thinking of...was not something she needed others to know about. Not even her dearest sister. What would Celestia say if she knew? Luna tried to keep from thinking about that!

"I'm here sister! In my chamber." She spoke as she stood and exited her room, heading towards the sound of Celestia's voice.

"Luna! There you are!" The Princess of the Sun smiled. "I thought perhaps you and I could have a talk tonight?"

Luna's heart jumped! Did her sister know what she had been thinking? No, that wasn't possible..was it? 

"T-tonight?"

"Why yes dear sister," She cocked her head. "Is something wrong?"

"Yes...I mean no! Nothing is wrong. I just think I might need some time alone tonight." The dark alicorn's eyes glanced to the side.

"Alright...if that is your wish. Perhaps tomorrow night then?"

"Yes, perhaps."

Once she was alone again Luna wandered to the balcony that jutted out from her chambers. It was high on a parapet of Canterlot Castle. From here she could survey the domain of the night, and perhaps survey her heart as well. Luna looked out over Canterlot and sighed deeply.

6SMi1qDG.png

Thankfully this night was clear. The spring showers did to get in his way and muck up what was otherwise a decent night for flying. He had no need to fly, his teleportation abilities undeniably advanced as the god of chaos, but sometimes it was nice to enjoy a frolic through the clouds, changing their color and having them rain, snow and drop leaves all in one area~! Now many ponies did not appreciate the onset of weather change, but at least he didn't make a monsoon of chocolate milk. To be fair it was sometimes normal in Everfree and other places where ponies did not control the weather for spring to feel like all four seasons at once. It just... stirred things up!

The closer he grew to Canterlot the clearer the night became. The clouds that dotted Ponyville, giving it a sense of movement in the still night sky, had become more dense over the Everfree. The thick clouds caused frequent storms which kept many of the inhabitants hidden, and preventing their usual night foraging at length. It was, overall, a rather boring night. With Ponyville's citizens sound asleep there was no one to play with. He knew there was one pony he could count on to be awake at such absurd hours. Why even the nightlife of some larger settlements cannot always be depended on. Ponies too tired or looking to do the same thing they did last night unwilling to take their adventure beyond a level of comfort. The high elevation ensured that even the lack of clouds kept the region rather cool. Quiet nights were not uncommon. When there were no Owlbears to fight or Nightmares to tend to the princess of the Night was left to a rather boring night position.

But harmony was not in the cards today, because Discord had obtained a new deck and he was ready to train them to his tricks. He would make way to the Grand Castle which has been carved into the mountainside. Be it by unicorn magic, earth pony ingenuity, pegasus skill or all of it -- it was a testament to how obnoxious ponies could be when they felt themselves superior. By right Discord could have corralled them all to build him a majestic kingdom when he ruled, but the spirit never fancied such a place. To him it felt like a labyrinth. He preferred his little cottage best, similar to the homes found in Ponyville. He made sure that his mane was all brushed back, his feathers preened and scales shined. He liked looking his best all the time. He was a vain chaos god.

Besides... it wasn't as if somepony was -- waiting for him. After all sometimes he just appeared!

With a pop and eruption of confetti the spirit appeared on the edge of the balcony's banister, hoof and talon perching with skill. The spirit was decked up like a magician, cape and all. "You're looking quite down moon princess. Fancy a game?" He cut the card through the air between paw and claw as he chuckled. "I have a brand new deck I wish to break in with your losses." He teased.

Vanishing the spirit reshaped himself behind the lunar maiden, floating off the ground, without his little outfit, and his forelimbs tucked behind his back. That cheeky, Cheshire grin was telltale of mischief ahoof for the night.

Image result for princess luna banner

The dark alicorn's ears snapped in the direction of Discord's arrival. As the confetti showered down she let out a breath and rolled her eyes, a slight smile playing on her muzzle. There was only a hoof full of creatures that had seen Luna through the darkest hours of her nightly shift, the god of chaos being one of them. At first he had irritated her with his antics. But then she became interested in his ways. He became something of an entertainment to Luna, which was still a lingering reason for why she was happy that he had arrived. 

Truth be told other feelings towards the mismatched creature had flitted through Luna's mind. She however, was trying to hold those feelings at bay. 

"The outcome of the game is yet to be determined," She smiled again. "But I wouldn't mind breaking in a new deck with you."

She moved like silk across the balcony, coming to a stop in front of a small table and two chairs. The two had played at this table many times before, though Discord tended to shift the table into a variety of objects.

"Come and have a seat," She slid into a chair. "We shall see who wins the night."

Luna smiled, happy to have a way to pass the night quickly, and with a good friend no less!

6SMi1qDG.png

The egotistical overlord of chaos was well known for his maniacal machinations, though these days they were little more than pranks of a petulant foal. Hardly the menacing, pernicious,malicious, pestiferous as the days of olde. And olde they were. Comparing the ages one could see clearly that the pair were considerable relics. Discord honored his star travel by keeping with the words of the day, whilst Luna slowly learned to keep up. It brought him far more amusement than he should be allowed, really.

“Oh? We're using contractions now, Princess? And here I thought I was in for another rousing night of theatrics.” One of the few remaining places Olde Equestrian was even spoken.

The mangled mismatched creature floated down to a more appealing eye level, a bit more face to face. His paw and claw dutifully worked to shuffle and cut the deck as a smirk played on his muzzle. His hind limbs were crossed in a dainty fashion as his ears laid folded back. He was smug, as if he knew how much his presence broke the peace and quiet the princess was likely used to at such hours, if not locked in a battle with the myriad of creatures that skulked these wee hours.

“Oh, but little Luna~” the way he would croon and crow his words always carried an unsettling weight.

While, at current, his spell words were harmless: they were solid testimony to his former nature as a serpent, and not in a physical aspect. He would hiss and whisper words to spread malcontent. He did what he could to alter circumstances to his favor and finds ways to open the doors to anarchy even if, these days: ponies had no sense to rebel their rule happy princesses. He's warned them! Not every pony likes checking both ways before crossing!

This had become a regular occurrence. Though it was not every night, he frequented Canterlot enough to be considered little more than a hazard by the citizenry: a roadblock in their daily routines. While the state was the seat of power for the solar and lunar deities the chaotic Lord had no place. They felt safe. It was too bad, he rather fancied spooking them! After the princess offered him seating the beast of anarchy did to take his place. Vanishing in a customary flash he would reemerge from his temporary influx over the offered place. Shifting the chair into a beanbag the serpentine chimera sunk down like spooling pasta into the chair.

Oh he very much loved a challenge.

“I have a lovely new game to play! Have you ever played fifty-two pick-up?” He looked to her as he shuffled his deck, snacks appearing on the table. “Care to play? There's a lovely novel I read of the same name. Brilliant mystery story. Full of intrigue, drama and the occasional pratfall. Not what one expects in such a serious sounding novel.” He went on, as he did, loving the sound of his own voice.

“Speaking of mystery Luna… you seem to have been busy as of late. Had you business?” Nosy neighbor to boot.

He looked to the mare, her dark fur a bit of an uncommon look among the rabble. He quite liked the contrast and the irregular cutie mark. It was all quite fun to tease her over, rile her up.

• 2 weeks later...

The Princess eyed the beast before her. The two of them were not all that different really. Both had pasts that they were trying to move on from. Both trying to quell old tendencies and learn for the direction of their future. Luna had spent much time as of late refining her words. It was of the utmost importance to the mare that she learn to speak as others in her dominion did. The fact that Discord ribbed her about such things was at the same time irritating and enduring.

"Thou best keep thy remarks at bay," She winked at him. 

She cocked her head once more as he mentioned a new game. As much as she liked to stay on top of things, she was not canny to many things that she ought to have been.

"No," She reached for a tidbit from one of the snack bowls. "I have yet to have learned of this... fifty-two pick up."

• 2 weeks later...

6SMi1qDG.png

Discord had experiences he could relate to with the princess, but he was a demi-god. He was beyond the force of a unicorn wizard or alicorn maiden: his time in this world short, but his time long. His concerns did not align with mortals and his cares were, more often than not, selfish. The all powerful, nigh impotent chimera could not accept his defeat with grace, often harboring feelings of a bruised ego mixed with diluted feelings f remorse. His ego felt it a blow to his pride and position. Never had he before been challenged and never again would he allow himself to fall victim to the wiles of a princess’ magic. He did not mind idling days away playing with ponies. It was fun.

He was calm, deliberately cheeky. “Oh? Are you going to challenge my claims?” He grinned, holding the deck of cards in his paw. “You've never? What a shame.”

The lion's paw seemed to grip down on the cards with his thumb over one end and his digits pressed to the top. His claw moved to present its palm to distract the mare as his hold over the deck tightened up further. He floated a few inches off the ground, a chuckling deep in his throat before the cards suddenly exploded from the pressure! In a rain of paper and suits the playing cards sprayed over the mare like a midnight shower.

Discord leaned back and offered a raucous laugh, holding his forelimbs came to his belly and he floated back and upside-down. “Ho, ho, ho! You should see your face.” He grinned and held out his paw and claw innocently as he turned his head demurely. “I was actually thinking on a new game tonight. Something a bit more invigorating.” He said as he vanished, snaking up behind the princess with his paw and claw clasped together, that long neck leaning forward. His beard curled down, the charming, multi-limbed wizard perpetrating a playful plot. “Something a bit far from the castle.” He suggested.

As it were it was the evening and Luna was, summarily, on duty. If she was needed the guards would rush to her side. If her peasants needed a matter tended to it was her strength they sought. Why if anypony has the twitch of an unavailing nightmare it was Luna who was to be the hero. But Discord had a love of theatrics and the drama of the princess escaping her sullen tower amused him. Forcing her to decide, to deliberately drive her to a conundrum.

“I had the pleasant thought of going flying.” And an interesting prospect seeing as Discord seemed more to hover than actually fly.

Stretching his wings the gangly serpent fluttered off the balcony and spun about in the air, a pink cloud developing under him. He perched on it and motioned his paw and claw to the night skies, bowing his head. He looked up and grinned.

“I mean the princess of the night isn't afraid of a little competition… is she?”

And so the challenge was set...

• 5 months later...

The Princess raised her eyebrows as cards showered around her. She shook her head once, dislodging the two of hearts which had stuck between her horn and crown. As the chaotic noddle made his challenge she couldn't help but smile. For all the trouble her caused there was something quite charming about Discord. Something that excited the Princess of the Night in a way she hadn't felt in a very long time.

The job of watching over the night could be more than tedious. Since Discord had started visiting Luna found herself more alert and interested than she had been in a long time. He was entertaining, witty, and made her laugh. He was a bit annoying of course but his charm often outdid any affects the annoyance might have in how she felt about him.

Luna took a breath and unfurled her wings. She joined him in the air, a cattish grin playing on her muzzle. 

"Thou knowest well enough I cannot leave my responsibilities unattended." She hovered next to him. "However, if I can continue to monitor the realm of dreams it is within my bounds to join you in a little...competition."

7jenQJa.png

His ears perked when the mare accepted his invitation. His lips curled back, those predatory fangs displaying in a delighted grin. The cards settled on the ground, but shifted against the gentle breeze that seemed to snake across the balcony. The autumn airs creeping through the summer was sign of the changing seasons, though that always seemed to matter very little to the mixed bag of parts. For him, time was infinite. The flow of this spatial concept, while circular for a creature that could traverse time: it was also unbearably long. Days, hours minutes, seconds... So long as he kept himself busy changing things, shifting, moving, going and coming -- well the days did not seem so terribly -- boring. Entertainment had eventually become cruel and malicious games that tested the wills of mortals come and gone. They once served a purpose, but with none to share his thoughts, his sentience with: he had become a terrible and unjust god that had the power to change reality in his -- paw.

But the ponies certainly did something to change that.

Change him.

The irony was not lost on the chaotic monarch as he fluttered just off the balcony of his former adversary, his rival and opponent in a battle to place a permanent chess piece on the board. Thanks to their stubbornness he has returned to his role as a puppetmaster in the stead of trying to keep an extra piece on the board. It was fine, so long as he had enough ponies to play with. In regards to his friends he could play and find enjoyment all the days, but come the night and he found himself sleeping as they, if only to follow them into their dreams. As the princess had experienced prior he did seem to be more capable of invading the dreams of others. It did bring up the concern and question if he had not come to influence others in such a way -- but he wasn’t as manipulative as he once was.

But he was still charming and seems to have succeeded in convincing the mare of the night into a bit of an aerial stroll this evening. He reached up to his head and removed his top hat, which had suddenly -- where had it come from? He tucked his paw behind his back, using his claw to pop it off, revealing a perfectly stacked deck of cards on top of his head. Were one to look to the ground below the cards he had scattered were gone! “My it is a pleasure than madam, allow me to show you a whole new world this evening.” Which seemed to be Discord being silly. After all what part of night had the sky studded mare not seen?

With that the spirit kicked off the balcony and flew straight up into the air. Up and up and up. The spirit flapped those little wings, but it was more for show, than anything else. He used those wings for flying as much as he used his hooves for walking. And given that he only had one hoof it stood to question. As soon as he broke through the clouds above he would pop through like a groundhog during winter. With a pop he snaked onto the cloud cover where, so high above: the night, day, and twilight mixed together into a serenade of chaotic combination. He perched on the clouds like a proud lion-snake, like those Long far to the east. If not for the mangle of parts one could mistake the god for such an earthly creature. He perked his ears and waited for the mare to make it up, grinning.

• 3 weeks later...

The Princess of the night's muzzle took on a coy smile as Discord promised a new world when it came to the night sky. What could he show her of the twilight, of the blackness of space, of the twinkling of light from thousands of years hence, the she had not beheld? Indeed almost created. Her interest was perked, in his proclamation, and in him in general. She found him fascinating, infinite in his chaos. As infinite as the dark realm that she mastered. 

Before she could reply he was up and away! Shooting out into the sky and disappearing beyond the clouds above. She would follow oh yes. She was intrigued. If there was something she had been yearning for she thought for a briefest of moments that perhaps he was it. Something to take her away from the endless tumble of night to day.

It was not long before her form appeared through the clouds. She stood regally upon a wisp of mist, eyeing her interest with a deep and expectant gaze.

"So, where is this new world thou hast spoken of?" She winked at him.

7jenQJa.png

Reaching beyond the stars was no challenge for the chimeric sorcerer so breaching the clouds would be no greater effort put out for him. Like a kite he broke through the cloud cover. His multilimbed body clambered onto the puffy, cumulous surface, bouncing when he settled. His little wings flapped as he bounced about only for the spirit to pounce passed the night maiden when she emerged from.the skies below.

“Well, well glad to have you princess!” He missed as he zipped past her and vanished into a pile of clouds.

Silence… he appeared behind her with a pawful of cloud. He stood with self-absorbed pride before reaching his claw up to the bring of his baseball cap that suddenly appeared. Adjusting it he narrowed his eyes and spun about, pitching the cloudform at the back of the mare’s head. Whether or not it hit her he let out an amused laugh, disappearing from sight. After a moment he spoke up from an completely different direction.

Were the moon Princess to turn around the spirit was lounged atop a cloud shaped up like a tree, high above the surface of plush they currently settled on. “My, my princess to think you came to slack off with me. But don't worry, I won't tell.” he chuckles as his tail reached up to pluck a star from the sky. “You know you may consider yourself a mistress of the night, but dear Luna there is a great many things influenced by Chaos. Have you ever wondered just why there are shooting stars?”

As he held the star in his claws it faded to a blue coloration and started to fizzle. It seems once removed from the skies Stars would become unstable. But as it did seem to sparkle it seemed to generate a considerable amount of energy. He took aim, as if it was a marble, and flicked it through the cloud cover. It was a wishing star!

• 2 weeks later...

Luna turned just as the pitched chink of clouds was tossed her way. She ducked, knowing full well she needn't and stifled a chuckle herself. My but Discord was full of mirth this night, he seemed charged by something more than his usual amount of chaos. Luna wondered what it might be...

"Slacking off?" She moved closer, eyeing him. "I can assure you that the Princess of the Night would not 'slack off' as you put it," She winked at him. "I believe such activities are more in your realm."

Her eyes widened as he plucked a star from her sky. Normally she would meet with wrath one who toyed with her night sky, but not so with him. Discord could overstep bounds with her that nopony else could. This she barely knew for herself as of yet however she dismissed the action and watched as he pierced the clouds with a fizzing wishing star. He was apparently full of pride at his actions.

"I wonder which of my little ponies was able to wish upon that one..." She mused as a fresh mass of dreams went past her mind. Nothing to be noted as dangerous. Yes there were dreams she need visit, but she was more intrigued by her nighttime guest this eve. She would not tell him, but it seems she was indeed 'slacking off'...

7jenQJa.png

Discord sat back on the branch with an egotistical pride that seemed to fit such an ancient and terrible beast. While still ancient his terrible wasn't so bad any more. His lion's arm rest back over the cloudy branch as his serpentine body lay out over the plush structure built of imagination and contrary. It seemed rather unsettling something as soft as clouds could be shaped into something so pointy looking. Leave it to Discord to create disharmony in all around him with mild effort. He looked to the star clasped in his tail’s tuft. The blue glow painted a halo of light around the fluffy tip giving it a cool glow. Her question caused his equine ears to swivel forward and bushy, white brows to knit closer together. Where they sat the night sky was at it's darkest. If not for the pure starlight above it would have been quite impossible to have seen the expression on his face as she returned his jib. The draconequus had scowled a bit -- no, the more proper term was pout. He scoffed and cocked his head, placing the star back onto the sky before it began to fall. The shooting star streaked across the sky, momentarily filling up the cloud forms with a bright light that was reminiscent of a lightning storm.

“Slacking off? Well I can see me having fun at my job can seem that way.” He retorted, finally allowing his brain to catch up from behind the sass. These ponies were getting more clever to his ways… “Oh I know what many of them wish for and I am sure you do too~” He flashed out and appeared behind him. “But the question is why do you care? It isn’t as if you could grant them outside of your dreams.” While it sounded like a rather scahting remark there was a light tone to his words that played on his usual game of challenge. “Tell me Luna~ why is it you and Celestia do all this? I mean they’re just ponies, hardly on the level you or I are on. I have always been curious since our first meeting. Why is it that you even… help them, didn’t they scorn you before?”

It seemed a god’s curiosity. Mortals were such -- interesting things and entertaining. He loved all the games and toys and other things in their culture but there stood some nuances to it that he simply could not understand without asking another and who better to ask than a pony who’s lived at least a thousand lifetimes? The spirit would motion for her to follow him as he sprang across the clouds like a jackrabbit. It was not like the world she was used to. The clouds here seemed to be a split between words. While night prevaded the skies, day break seemed to paint the edges of the horizon as the twilight silently rested between them. It looked, in itself, like a dream world. It was a world Discord seemed to bend before her eyes. With every bounce the cloudscape shifted and the stars swirled overhead. It was his playground, a place they could not see where he started to break the line between worlds. They were very close to Chaosville, the door to the realm just ajar to let through his magicks.

She narrowed her eyes for a moment. It was a fair question, she would give him that. She hadn't been prepared for quite such a question but there seemed no harm in giving an answer. The Princess of the Night had to think for a moment. It was thinking somewhere between the head and heart. 

"Yes they did...scorn me..." She looked down for a moment, over that little world of night and pastel ponies in their beds. He gaze softened as she continued her visage. "But they are my little ponies. It is who I am to watch over their slumbers. To raise the moon to enlighten their night." She took in a breath. "It brings me wholeness, completion, to watch over them." 

She eyed the god of chaos for a moment. Did he ever feel whole? Complete? She doubted he did, and more so doubted if he cared. He seemed entirely self sufficient. Something she wanted for herself that she feared she would never achieve. She had always needed her other half. The sun to rise after her moon. She needed the ponies, to watch over them and guard them and their world. Discord had no world so to speak. He traveled where he wished and seemed totally unhindered. What it must feel like to be that free!

But her lips did't part on this topic. Not yet at any rate. She did wish to ask him of these matters. But she would not do so yet. 

"But what would the god of chaos know of completion?" She chuckled lightly. Perhaps a slight jib in that direction then. But she would save the questioning for another time.

She followed him through the swirling darkness. Through cascades of sparkling light and far off color. A realm he seemed to create as they entered it. She felt something, almost electric in the air. Her heart swelled at the thought. Dare she look into the vast realm of chaos as he opened it before her?

7jenQJa.png

Discord clambered onto what seemed to be the edge of the horizon. The clashing realms had parted, creating a doorway of sorts, but not like the doors a pony was used to crossing through. This threshold was wholly carved by magic, sundered by the invisible divide betwixt the harmony of creation and the chaos of destruction. Together the forms of energy collided and become what many ponies called impossibility. His tail hung down from the perch of clouds, the tufted end pooling against the surface of the white below. He scoffed as she went on about them being her little ponies.

“Oh please, it just sounds like you're a glorified foalsitter!” He teased, slithering his forked tongue from his muzzle.

As if he was one to talk as the chimera often watched over the pastel equine’s youth during the after hours of school. He claimed it was the leisure of youth, the responsibility of adults cramping his unique style. Despite that he kept a consensus eye over their tomfoolery and even joined in in occasion to lend a paw in their ventures. If they were not safe under the watchful eye of a semi good, there weren't many other reliable sources of amusement and safety than the Lord of madness. He was precariously possessive and foalishly playful! Arrogance would certainly keep him from letting anypony say he was not entertaining and a vindictive pride that kept him from losing, even if it meant at foalsitting. Slurping his tongue back up he would tap his muzzle with his paw's fingertip.

He as a fit with giggles and even manifested a mistress’ fan to cover his obnoxious giggles. As his laughter died down the mare’s teasing question carried to his ears. The fan escaped his grasp with a puff of smoke, the snaking plume fluttering around his skull, through his ears and out his nose with a huff! He tucked his forepaw and claw between his haunches as he furrowed his bushy brows. His ears folded back at her retort. He looked quite offended, huffing as his paw tucked against his chest.Yet as he parted his jaws the spirit …

Had no answer.

He had no sarcastic quip. No metaphorical addendum, nor had he any inconsolable rant about superiority. The usual banter and parade that made the spirit glitter with madness had come to a halt. He was stumped. The chimeric entity cocked his head to the side as if to speak and would vanished. There was a solemn silence that filled the vast fields of white puff with solitude. His head crept up over her shoulder, his form floating in the air.

“Oh please princess. I know plenty! You don't just leave a game unfinished.” It seemed he did not quite get what that meant or -- refused it. “But you cannot tell me all these ponies you care ever more for appreciate the darkness or appreciate your games… tell me princess, what have you finished?”

It seemed he had not understood what she meant, but his retort spoke otherwise. He stepped into the chaos where water flowed backwards and into the sky while the stars glittered along the ground and grass grew across the beaches. He pulled a clothless, mangled umbrella overhead, the skeletal wires doing nothing to fend off the hail of popcorn that began to wash over them. The spirit started off across the valley of stars, the ground vanishing somewhere between here and there. His wings folded against his back and his hoof and talon would firmly plant on the ground.

“I am not sure how long I've been wandering. To be perfectly honest this is the longest I've stayed near for very long. I don't usually come back until everypony is gone.” His journeys took him across the stars and through time, many times to places he's never been. “A wizard arrives precisely when he is meant to… and, well, oft time that means being too late.” When the popcorn shower stopped he closed the umbrella, or at least what was left of it.

As he turned to the mare a large bowl appeared in paw. The popcorn had fallen to their knees so it allowed him to tuck the bowl and scoop up a healthy amount before he dropped back against the warm, buttery couch! Crossing his hind talon over his hoof knee the male offered out the bowl. Where he sat it looked over the starry valley for in the stead of stone and waters what flowed through the crevasse were floating islands and glittering gems of light which were stolen from across the heavens. He was silent a few more moments.

“Nothing.” The spirit would finally speak. He looked down into his bowl, claw and paw digits tapping against the ceramic surface. “While I've played more games than I could count, I have never felt fulfilled upon my victory. I often expected, even hoped, that the creatures I met would stand up to my challenges and from it, well I could observe something.” But what was he waiting for? “Than you two.” The words were bit beneath a tensed jaw, fingers tightening against the bowl. “Won.” He had never before admitted that. He sighed and slumped against the corny cushion. “How irritating. You cocky princesses had something to lose that was not your own.” Many he played with had their possessions, their pride and place but these two? They had ponies.

All literations aside the spirit seemed torn by the prospect.

“And again I lost, this time to those ponies you so much praise!” An experience he could never accept, but too never forget. “Why is it such annoying, nosy, curious, creatures bring you such? What is it an I missing still?” He shoves a pawful of popcorn in his muzzle. “I've friends, a game night and even have saved your puny pastel peons on a time or three!” Oooh he kept count! “And yet still I've not found what it is I seek.” How bothersome. “You have seen my dreams Luna and you know that I am afraid of losing them, but have you ever seen what I desire that hides even from me?”

What would complete a god who's lived more lifetimes than perhaps Equus has even existed?

• 3 weeks later...

The Princess walked on, following the serpentine form as he moved through the strange world the came from nowhere...and everywhere...it didn't bear thinking too much on. The depths of the Lord of Chaos seemed inexhaustible. She chuckled to herself more than once as they moved on, it seemed she had hit a rather deep cord in him. Just as she thought she might. Though she couldn't see deeply into his dreams as she could most, she still had her suspicions.

He settled down onto a buttery couch and she stood nearby him. Her form seemed to waver every once in while. Perhaps it was due to her calling. It had been a millennium since she had strayed from the nightly routine. True this had been halted for a while but even with the halt, it had continued on once she was brought back from her banishment. She felt akin to Discord when she thought about it. Her life was fractured, just as his worlds were. 

He was foal like in so many ways. His never dulling interest in foals and their games. His desire to win. She couldn't blame him...who didn't like to win? She had lost too, though she was grateful for that now...right? Somewhere deep inside her she still longed for power, and might above that of her sister. Not that anypony knew this, or that she would ever tell. 

She levitated a piece of popped corn into her mouth and chewed reflectively. He had given her bait but she wouldn't rise to any of it. For now she was content to ponder why she enjoyed his presence so much. She had not seen far enough into his dreams to answer his question fully.

"Thy dreams are too deep even for me to fathom...though it is evident there is something you seek," She cocked her head slightly. "Something you have not yet found. However, I believe if you delve deep enough you may discover what it is you are truly looking for,"

As she said the words, she felt them resonate deep within herself. What was it she felt? Longing for something she had not experienced? Her heart felt...hot and unsteady.

7jenQJa.png

The spirit was a curious being. He seemed to have no beginning, nor an end. It was hard to tell how far he's come and how far he could go. His power was both limitless and limiting. He walked in contradiction yet never did he touch the ground when he walked. He was a curiosity that would never be understood and a creature who understood much. No matter how one tried to paint such things it came down to one, infallible truth: Discord was Discord and that is what he was

His dreams were too deep even for her?

Figures.

Sometimes power did only to separate him from others. Despite recent attempts to better understand ponies or use his powers for more… altruistic ventures, it didn't always come out as sincere. His unorthodox methods were but a step outside madness and beyond genius. He was the one who knew that the cat, inside the box, was both alive and dead. He was also the reason there was a third option when one did not seem obvious. It was s somewhat distressing though, being a creature of not only indomitable will, but of surpassing prowess… there were few who could accept his presence without attempting to worship him, or bind him.

He subconsciously rubbed his wrists at the thought. “Oh come now, you should know me by now Luna.” He pressed away from his thoughts, ears pinking back as he cocked his head.

The sea of popcorn was pushed aside as he floated a full head off the ground, at least what seemed to act like a ground on the floating island of madness. He held out his paw and claw as a green, spandex jumpsuit appeared wrapped around his body with a green bowler cap atop his horns! On his chest a black exclamation point was boldly printed. He gripped the gold cane in his paw and claw, pulling the head of the staff to his face, for a half mask was attached to it. A pair of spring loaded eyeballs popped out from the eye holes on the mask before breaking off and rolling toward the mare where two littler chaos spirit formed from them.

“I am the god of chaos, the prince of madness!” The spoke together before poofing out of existence and leaving before the mare, seated in his throne of domination, a larger more ghastly vision of the spirit. It almost seemed otherworldly compared to his tamed, colorful sprite. “The terror of the unknown…” he reached the massive, scraggly paw to his forehead and pulled down a large zipper before exploding into confetti.

With that he was gone and silence filled the world. The floating isles around her converged into a single landmass with a cottage in the center. A half of a white, picket fence ran in front of the abode, a small mailbox tilted on its side, shaped like a birdhouse. The small, pink waterfall had become massive and ran a pink lemonade river through the landscape where small, chaotic looking deer with green fur and single set of antlers when spotted by the mare they would take off into a bunch of bushes, somehow shrinking in size the further they ran. Discord reformed over her, images of ponies, particularly Fluttershy and the Mane, barbequing in the yard, little foals from Ponyville playing.

“I’ve been deeper than anypony could understand. What I want is to be on their level.” He crossed his forelimbs over his chest. “Relating to ponies is about as easy as you could assume for an everything like me.” There has been major problems, followed by understanding than measures of just not knowing how to balance such a being in their matters. “Their world is too small right now. Even as they discover new places I've dimensions about thrice squared of this.”

With a snap he formed a box of mirrors around Luna. Reflection upon reflection there were even more layers than the mind could possibly see, could measure. A tinycord appeared on her shoulder, hind legs crossed as he pondered the puzzle that was him.

“There.” He pointed to a small, black space in the mirror, but when looked upon it would consume everything around them and close them into darkness.

Total silence, an encasing sensation where one could hear only the racing of their own heart. But in here, there were two. Any movement would cause the mirrors to crack and shatter into nothingness. When light returned it was Discord standing over her holding a flashlight. They were back in the clouds, just over the edge of Canterlot's cliffs. It overlooked Ponyville. Discord tucked away the light and sat down.

“A noodle and a moon.” He noted before looking at her. “While you're seen as a heavenly body a natural force in the universe I am just a noodle, an idiot that can't quite function in pony society. Made up. A joke. No one takes a noodle seriously.” He looked to the mare with his unfocused, mismatched eyes. “Do you take me seriously? I certainly hope not.” He put his paw to his chest. “I'd be a laughing stock.if ever I was anything but a joke.” He looked.off.

It was true the spirit was never serious and used his powers more tamper with peace and feed his leisurely interests. But as of late he seemed to had just want to get along and settle with the ponies for as long as he could. It had even been rumored he had given Celestia a gift for her most recent birthday, even if it may have been on a dare, though nopony knows whatever it could have been. Even around Ponyville there had been such words that the spirit has been helpful around town, or tried to be, by doing minor, chaotic,  maintenance. He's tried, earnestly.

“Making friends doesn't seem to be enough.” He pressed his paw and claw onto his knee, the clouds around them turning pink. With a flash of light it began to rain chocolate milk onto Canterlot below. “What more is there?” His ears pinned back as his paw moved up to his chest. He looked to his palm, at his dark pad. “Everytime, it's empty.” Did he mean the motion he had made?

When ponies did that they always seemed to become relieved as I'd pulling from their hearts a comforting memory. A connection to something that, even with all his magic, he could not pick apart.

On their level? Even she never felt on the level of the ponies that inhabited the land she watched over. But, she understood what he meant. 

The Princess looked on as the box of mirrors formed. He had a way of bringing power to his points. The multiple reflections were nothing to the depth of him, this she knew. Though she had lived long and seen much, she knew it was nothing compared to the infinite nature of the god of chaos. 

He looked at his paw pad...empty. She had felt a similar way more often than not. Indeed for a long while being reunited with the Sun had sufficed, but it was not enough to keep the restlessness of the Night at bay forever. Here before he stood the one being she thought really understood. The longing for escape from the nothingness, to find true completion was to be recognized by another. Perhaps he was the only one that would understand. 

She chuckled. "Take thee seriously?" She tilted her head back to inspect him. "No....and," She cocked her head for a moment. "At the same time yes,"

The Princess moved in, closer than she thought she would have. He eyes looked into his for a flicker of a moment. The ether of their beings mixing for a span of an infinite second. She thought to step back but found she did not. Something pulsed within her, a wakening that grew when she came near. Could he feel what she felt? The possible answer to the nothing they both faced?

7jenQJa.png

There were many answers the spirit had and often given without the consent of the learning, pushing away their dull efforts in lieu of more colorful theories of thought. But it seemed as he began to gain, himself, an ever growing well of questions he could not realistically determine what was his own desire and one born of boredom. Dedicating himself to nothing, and knowing everything, made life quiet boring. Entertaining oneself became a priority and pressing mortals for opinions beyond this understanding grew into a fascination more than he would care to admit.

He perked his ears, her voice ringing between. Up here, upon the edge, perspectives were skewed, but it wasn't hard to see that they, together, sat in a place that was difficult for other ponies to reach. It was not because he was a draconequus or she an alicorn. Those rare and unique qualities had not failed to shape their positions, but it was not what had gotten them to this point. It was, truly, cause of the ponies. Anything they had become and would, was wholly fault of their own. He would have been perfectly content to continue aimlessly roaming about causing untold chaos that could have eventually undone the universe.

Maybe.

Any yet as he sat here he found himself almost thankful for the interference. “Well, good. We wouldn't want you taking me too seriously.” He pressed his digits together, paw and claws fidgeting as they rest between his haunches, the serpentine chimera hunched forward a bit so that his head was at level with the sitting mare.

When had she gotten so close? He rolled his eyes, head turning so his muzzle faced from the lunar deity. He was decidedly at a roadblock. He couldn't have reached the end of his sport. Despite the utter incompetence he's shown for managing himself, he's become better. It took considerable practice and effort on his part. Such practiced allowed him to become more aware of the ponies around him. While still one to drive to be the center of attention, he was also strongly aware when others did not like it. With friendship being a fresh concept it opened the door to other -- worries. He laughed out suddenly and looked to the mare in question.

“This is not like our usual play dates.” In Discordian fashion the spirit pulled from behind the mare’s ears a deck of cards. He held it in his paw before smirking. “Perhaps a wager this time?” He presented. “Whomever wins could ask anything of the other. No questions asked.” Discord knew what he wanted!

But would she play into his paw?

Could he ask of her to fill that void in his paw, without directly asking her? He'd try! Never one to easily submit to his search for the company of others... This was a bit different. Still new. It wasn't like friendship or their former rivalry prior to his stoning.

• 3 months later...

She chuckled. The Moon could hear the deep questioning in his tone. She knew he was trying to play things up, the way he always did, the way she enjoyed him for. Nothing was ever too serious with Discord, was it? No... he had his limits. But she wondered if he had limits to his heart. She had seen him angry, frustrated and the like... but the longing of something deeper? That she had not yet witnessed. Though she wanted to.

She smiled at him, warmly this time. "A wager indeed."

She knew what she wanted... but was it too much to ask the god of Chaos for what she wanted from him? Time would tell...

(sorry this is sorrt...trying to get myself back in RP gear...)

• 2 weeks later...

7jenQJa.png

Discord would move to take her hoof, shaking to seal the deal. Above a stained, wooden box appeared above the spirit's head. He chuckled and wiggled his sticky little fingers, bringing it down to eye level. Discord seemed overly excited about what looked to be another board game. He often brought by playing cards found all over Equestria and beyond. Sometimes the board games he managed to procure we're far from the traditional tabletops meant for families. But what could you expect from the noodle?

Upon its textured surface looked some sort of exotic jungle scene with a gruffly bearded pony with a hunting horn! The title looked to be carved in white stone and read B-R-A-C-K-E-N-W-E-A-L-D, in a typically Discordian, dramatic fashion. He set the wooden box down with a click and as he opened it the soft sound of drums sang , rhythmically beating to a invisible song. In the center of the board was a glowing, green stone and little pieces carved into various … beasts. An elephant, a lion, a monkey and a paradise bird.

“If I win...I know what I'm going to ask for.” He held out a pair of dice. “All we have to do is make it to the center…” but each roll had a cost.

All his games did!

Effects ranged from being turned into the piece, on the board to summoning monkeys right onto the balcony. All she had to do was cross fifty spaces.

• 1 month later...

Her eyes widened as they often did when spending time with Discord. There was no end to what he would pull out of thin air. This time it was an enchanted game by the looks of it. The drum beats and wild animals caused her heart to stir. Almost as if they were embarking on a special journey together! She couldn't think of anypony she would rather have along on such a quest. Discord was funny and interesting but also a powerful ally. Indeed between the two of them there was no telling how much power existed.

She allowed the levitation magic to take up the dice.

"No end to the costs for our rolls? Anything could happen?" She looked at him with deep blue eyes. "This will truly be an adventure then!"

The dice moved slowly through the air in front of her horn as she studied the board. It was spiral in shape with animals, temples, trees, and harsh landscapes decorating the interior of the game. There were spaces along which their pieces must move. She noticed that the game had morphed a black jungle cat to portray herself as she took up the dice. It was fitting enough.

"No going back now!" 

The drum beats increased in volume as the dice moved to the ground beside the board, flipping and tumbling until they rested on a three and a five. Luna made to levitate her black cat piece but pulled back when the miniature cat stalked forward on its own, eight spaces. She squinted at the writing on the space.

"You must catch all the dragonflies in the marsh within the time, or unleash the deadly beast!"

Luna gasped as the apparitions of dragonflies began to zoom about. There was also a deep growling noise coming from not too far off! Her heart began to pound as spurts of magic left her horn to zap the insects. The growls grew in volume as she continued to zap until the last dragonfly vanished! The growling receded and was going. The miniature cat piece settled onto the eighth spot on the board and began to clean its whiskers with a paw.

"Well! That was...fun?"

The feeling of danger definitely heightened the feeling of the game! She nodded to the Noodle and gave a small smile and wink.

"Your turn God of Chaos,"

• 3 weeks later...

7jenQJa.png

Discord thought himself quite clever. Putting the princess to play a foal’s game, to challenge a myth. Now that was the ultimate game! This game worked very differently from other board games. It was enchanted with a bit of chaos so that it became reality. The humdrum of the everyday were erased with your choices. Your cowardice was punished and your inability to think outside the structured box was pushed to breaking limits. Rolls put a player on a path through a jungle exploration. It was filled with all the details of a real jungle adventure such as rabid monkeys, falling boulders, and ancient beasts! It was games like these found its way into the hooves of foals in summer camp, or curios adolescents in their uncle’s ruddy cabin. It was something spoken of with fear, adoration and excitement but with never shred of proof  of it ever existing…

He had taken note of it, her drifting. The magical inconsistency of a powerful being returning to their throne was never a simple matter. Being in one’s element was natural, even to creatures like Discord, or maidens akin to gods such as the princesses. Though Alicorn were naught compared to him, so he felt: they too would start to break apart if ever they strayed from their nature. It was why Discord could only be Discord. Straying from Chaos had ended quite badly for him, both times. One could only be as they were, but that did not mean they had to live boring and uneventful lives. There could very well be ten of him, but they had all picked to live life a bit differently. Even Accord had comes to terms with is … vain attempts to perfect the universe.

He clapped his paw and claw together at her excitement. “Oh far more than even the most exciting adventure.” He promised.

But he couldn't help that he was forgetting something about the game…

He did not know what the game could release. It was a risky chance for a bit of fun. But was that not the way of chaos? The game shifted to their desires and twisted their ideas of what an adventure was. When her piece moved the spirit floated about the board, watching. The center goal of the board shifted, the drums once again growing in octave as Luna’s piece moved. Dragonflies erupted onto the balcony forcing the mare to jump from her seat. She was quick, he’d give her that, but whatever the game had manifested caused his fur and feathers to stand on end. When, whatever it was, stalked away, the spirit smoothed out his floof and scoffed.

Discord was never one to back down from  a challenge. “Oh easy.” Taking the dice in paw the game shifted his piece into that of a crocodile. “Well...go!” Tossing the dice they would bounce around the game case’s enclosure before stopping on 4 and 4! With an eight his crocodile moved forward.

He leaned forward to read. “Survive a swarm of insects.” He snorted and pulled a beekeeper's outfit over himself. “Oh please. How simple.” but something was off.

A cloud of black appeared over them, but it became bigger and bigger as it came down. It was a swarm of giant mosquitoes. The large jungle-colored bugs lunged down at them, slashing their deadly proboscis at the pair, shredding Discord's cover to pieces. The spirit manifested a large flyswatter and smacked the face of one of the bugs, but it seemed to make them angry. Flooding up the mad spirit ran away from it, leading the beasties in a circle before he magicked a giant net, catching them. They would angrily buzz and try to stab the draconequus with their noses.

He dodged. “Um dear, perhaps you should roll?!” rolling up a newspaper he'd smack the mouthy bugs.

• 2 weeks later...

The crocodile sidled forward, landing on the same eighth space as her jungle cat. The black panther stood, backed a pace and arched its back. The game piece was so detailed she could she its lips lay back in a snarl at the offending reptile. That was when the buzzing started...

Luna laid her ears back in dismay! So many mosquitoes!  Their buzzing alone was enough to drive a princess of ponies mad, but those wicked sharp proboscis'? They wouldn't stand a chance, even with Discords giant swatter, net and other bug defending supplies! She fired up her horn and chanced a shot towards one of the winged beasts that hadn't been caught and was winging its way far to quickly to her neck, needle sharp mouth parts exposed for the strike!

"Leave it to you to roll the same bugging number as I did!" She took a step towards the board, the mosquito she had focused her blast on evaporated before her. "The dragonflies were tame compared to these monsters!"

Her heart was pounding fast. This really seemed like more than just a game! Well, Discord had manifested it... there must be more to it than she originally thought.

Soon the dice were levitating above the board. If she could get her roll done perhaps all these bugs would go away!

"Three!" She shouted out the number as the last die fell. The bug disappeared, as did the ground!

Water splashed about the pair, the game board resting in the middle of a flimsy raft. It seemed mostly constructed of bamboo. The words on the board stood out all to clearly to the Princess.

"This adventure just turned wet and wild! Figure your solution, come on time to think! If it takes you too long you'll end up in the drink," She read the words, raising an eyebrow.

"What do you think..." Her words were cut short as she caught sight of the huge waterfall in front of them....

• 2 weeks later...

7jenQJa.png

That was a problematic circumstance that seemed to happen on occasion with his games. It was not as if his intention was to harm, or endanger. The chaotic spirit sometimes interfered with his more personal games, but the larger scaled boards ran on their own measure, with their own life. It was a type of magic that gave life to ideas, and sometimes those ideas, while not inherently bad, could be in and of themselves a threatening prospect when questioned. The conditions for the game were placed in a manner so that everything happened naturally. Whatever occurred  was in reaction to a pony's actions. In these cases he felt he had an understanding on how ponies would react and the game should play out easily, but they frequently exceeded his expectations which was delight for the easily bored spirit.

He had hoped the Lunar mare would accept his invitation to play, but there was a sense of superiority that led him to consider she would back out, knowing well his games were challenging for even the most skilled ponies, at least when he didn't hold back. While remiss to admit he pulled his punches when it came to taunting the princesses all these years ago. They were quite lucky he went easy on them, even underestimating their intelligence and skill. During his O&O games he could go all out on the stallion and dragon.

It was a relief when the insects were captured, but it would seem that they did not vanish, which was a queer situation. Typically the creatures summoned by the game would vanish once the condition of the roll was met, but it seemed that the longer they played the more the area would change. Wild jungle vines had started to grow along Luna’s tower. The trees that lined the castle ground started to grow and Branch out, canopies knitting together until the skyline was nothing but green.

“i couldn't tell you how to solve this problem, as I cannot just snap things away until the game ends. But have you noticed something odd?” He wasn't versed in Equus’ Flora and fauna but he was pretty sure trees didn't grow that fast.

Were one to peer off the balcony the trees has created a street of outstretched branches, of which below the shade created a deep darkness that was impenetrable by even the light of the moon. Something had gone awry and he wasn't quite sure as to what it was. He pressed a claw to his lip as he floated over his trap. Luna made her roll. The spirit floated down to land on all hours, his forelimbs tucking between his haunches, which caused his back to hunch as he was exceptionally long when compared to a pony.

Manifesting a raincoat and hat on them both the spirit would perk his ears as they were raised upon the surface of a raft. The board sat balanced on the head of a coconut which had dried grass as a mane and a face painted on with what looked like chalk, but it certainly smelled like frosting! The water had filled her balcony  and since gravity still ruled a pony's world the water that seemed to raise from beneath them rushed over the edge. The tower was several hundred hooves high and with the game altering the physical reality around them the balcony railings had become piles of stones and boulders. At the end of the water road a spider monkey sat staring at them with large, bulbous eyes.

Its mouth parted with a hiss to reveal deal fangs for it was a literal spider monkey! It leapt into the air and dashed across an overhanging branch. Reaching out its hand web would shoot out and capture the board. Without that they couldn't take Discord's turn! Discord had tried to lunge at the primate, but it was faster than the physical inept chimera who would fall towards Luna. The monkey jumped down into the canopy, vanishing into the sea of green and down went their raft…

Below the dark jungle of what was once the castle grounds were filled with singing birds of paradise and deadly predators only meant to be found in the Forbidden Jungles of the southern landmasses. Discord had been thrown from the rafters on the way down and into a tree where he became entangled by the shrubbery. He looked around, hoping to spot Luna, or the game board.

“Luna?!” Oh goodness! “First I try to woo the princess than I get her thrown off a waterfall! I'll be hung for sure.” He wiggled, realizing he was trapped. “Too late!” With much struggling Discord finally snapped the vines with the help of magically created scissors, but his lack of foresight caused him to tumble headfirst into some berry bushes. “Luna?!” He popped his head out the bush, a bird's nest on his crown with a very confused looking father bird, roosting in the nest.

Not too far from the struggling noodle the spider monkey sat in the tree, the game too heavy to carry along so easily for one so small. It sat nibbling on the dice, the pieces magically latched to the board so it could not remove them.

• 3 months later...

Luna felt her stomach turn as the raft, herself, and the lord of chaos were tossed over the brink! Ahead of them the monkey turned spider... or was it spider turned monkey? Either way, it menaced them as the decent into the dark jungle began. The game had slowly been taking over reality. For her roll she had still been able to make of the balcony, the castle, the lands of Equestria stretching out below. However, as they fell, the began to melt and swirl away. She felt herself catapulted into a new reality as she plummeted towards the ground.

Twigs and leaves snapped and crumpled around her. She and Discord were split apart for a the time. His noodle-ness had become rather entangled in the shrubs it seemed. The Princess was just fine. Though for the time begin she had no use of her wings as few rather large and sturdy yet soft leaves had slowed her fall before she hit the ground. She was dumped a bit unceremoniously into the jungle but nopony it seemed had seen her. 

Where she had landed was dark, damp, and smelled of the living green things that comprised the habitat they had just been thrust into. She blinked, gazing upwards and sucked in a sharp breath as she watched the chimera chomp away at the game. All of a sudden her heart sank. If that monkey was able to munch that game board, they might become stuck in this alternate plane. Of course, it really was not that big of a deal. With her power not to mention the power of the noodle god they likely would end up back where they started with a blink. She let that thought go though. She wanted to be part of this game... part of this adventure with Discord. Her cheeks flushed for but a moment before she heard him calling.

"I am right here Discord!" She spotted him with the bird nest "hat" in place and had to stifle a giggle or two. "I believe it is your roll," 

She stepped forth, freeing herself from the deep under layer of the jungle. "However, it seems this creature has taken the next turn for himself,"

She waited to see what Discord would do about the impending monkey menace...

Archived