Generous Darkness

Novaburst

King Sombra had been called many things by many ponies, over the years.  Words such as "Tyrant" or "Monster" or "Emperor" or other terms that he didn't like. But one could not accuse King Sombra of being stupid. Having known he was outmatched, as there were now five Alicorns even though one of them was a baby (and thus needed to be dealt with carefully) Sombra was not willing to directly engage them in combat. Of course this could be because they also had the Spirit of Chaos on their side. How they'd pulled that miracle off, he'd never know. Unfortunately he did need to know how such could be done, because he'd need soldiers of his own for the island. Recruiting Discord wasn't going to work, as he'd already sworn Celestia's banner. Perhaps something could be done about one of the bearers of harmony, but no. Not while his magic was still replenishing.

This was why weeks earlier he'd snagged a newspaper saying something about a Carousel Boutique, that made wonderful clothing for all the individuals who shopped from there. A huge shipment of no less than 5000 gems that he had grown with his magic, but to others, even Alicorns would appear as regular gems had been sent to Rarity along with a set of coordinates, and a note he'd hoof written. The note offered her even more gemstones, if she'd come to his island and help him by making several outfits for him. However, it also had several conditions. One of them was that she couldn't disclose in any fashion the location of the island, and she couldn't bring any guests or assistants of any kind with her.

The letter was signed  "Wealthy Client" which admittedly was not very creative of Sombra. But it would get the job done of having her build his ensemble. 

rsz_banner_zpsjzxztmnx.png

Rarity admitted to herself that this was certainly a strange and unusual job, one of the most peculiar offers she had ever had the opportunity to take. Five thousand gems- it had to be delivered by five ponies in five carts, each one straining with the bulk- was a more than tempting offer, however. That would supply her with hundreds of outfits easily, saving her time and a great deal of bits. Some gems she may even keep for herself, and a number she could always sell. All in all- yes, a very unusual job proposal. Quite so. But...five thousand gems. Five. THOUSAND. Gems. There were few things she wouldn't do for five thousand gems, and a job was easily one of the legion of things she'd do rather happily for it.

Recently her business had slowed. Not in the catastrophic sense that some ponies always immediately ran to when the slightest of things went wrong, but the natural ebb and flow of business demanded that after her initial bursting on the scene, she would cool. And she had. She would continue to hit new heights in the future but she was in the adjustment period, and as a result, simply had fewer jobs than in the past. Less work. That left more room for more creative works but her more indulgent designs of recent times hadn't exactly been received exceedingly well. No matter. The future was bright- profits were good- and sooner or later, she'd hit on a new line or seven that would spark Equestrian imagination.

So when the offer arrived, it wasn't as if she had to decide between that and a host of major jobs she had coming up.n The odd factors involved were honestly the only reason she didn't go galloping out of her boutique immediately. She had to go alone and it was an island in the far corners of the continent...luckily, she knew an REA captain who was doing patrols in the badlands and she managed to make the proper arrangements. Three weeks after receiving the offer she showed up, a small boutique of suitcases behind her as se stepped off of a boat (a pirate captain who owed her a favor, of course). She approached the point specified, dressed warm for the cold of this unforgiving land, and coughed to clear her throat.

"Oh heeeelllooooooo- I'm here, Miss Rarity, to help you look STUNNING!"

Sombra had to admit, that he hadn't expected to see one of his killers from his castle. The Crystal Fair had done a number on him, which was one of the reasons that he was laying low, at least for now. Until he could safely say he was impervious to the Crystal Heart, he couldn't allow himself to return to conquer his empire. As much as it pained him, right now the best strategy was not to do anything, but to wait out the storm that wax coming. A cough could be heard, and then a booming baritone that was unlike Sombra's normal voice would say. "You have honored the terms of the arrangement I have set out, welcome to my home. You will see a castle now. But here is a bit of aid." A red aura surrounded all of her luggage and levitated it into the castle. Sombra was not going to let her complain, or bring outsiders to his island.

At least she had the common sense not to bring the REA here. Right now he didn't know if he could hold his own in a fight or not. Once she was inside the castle, she'd hear the voice from earlier that Sombra had used. "I have levitated in all of your luggage and moved it to the area where you will work, which I have prepared for you. I have also prepared comfortable living quarters with you. There will be three large meals a day, breakfast, lunch, and dinner that I will prepare for us. The Five Thousand Gemstones were a mere incentive for you to accept the contract, your actual pay is 720 more gems, a small supply of bits and also you may use any fashion ideas you get from working on new clothing for me. There is, however, one proviso. You will have to promise, a solemn oath that you will not reveal the coordinates of my island, or who I am to any pony or other creature without my permission. Do you accept this restriction?" 

• 3 weeks later...

The booming voice spooked Rarity fiercely, sending her cowering ever so slightly down. Luckily the voice was congratulating her and she was fairly pleased about that but hello, this wasn't how you greeted somepony to your own private island. You did so with well-mannered butlers and fine foods. She was about to reply when magic from an unseen source and started carrying your luggage after the voice promised to aid her. She was about to panic but she caught her breath- cold in the air that bit at her haunches- and decided that discretion and curiosity were the better parts of valor. She reached into the piece of luggage she was holding and hadn't been taken and got out a nice white hat to cover her mane and keep her warm and cozy as she made her way up to the somewhat less imposing than hoped castle. Well not hoped, but all those credits had certainly set the bar high.

She followed the single road up into the castle. It was far younger than she had initially expected if she was being honest. Recent construction or re-construction? How odd. She liked to keep her hooves on all the major projects of such sort in Equestria. The opportunity for a designer to offer her services before the obviously glorious re-opening or dedication of a castle. It was an easy way to get some great business. But this wasn't old, or at least it hadn't been discovered that way- she was about o give it more thought when the booming voice returned. It promised more gems, good work, the possibility for these designs to not be exclusive. All of that was well and good, but it came with a somewhat unusual caveat. Not that it really mattered as long as it wasn't somepony like Sombra! "Well, I don't see how that would be a barrier to good business, darling. Of course I agree! Now, let's see- hmm, judging by this room I'm guessing you're a fan of that neo-classical look? Crystal Empire elegance, non-Crystal form- very chic!"

"Yes, I suppose you could call me a fan of the Neo-Classical Look."  said King Sombra, keeping his voice disguised with the spell he had put on himself, that would disguise him as a regular Unicorn as opposed to what he looked like now. It also made him look healthy, but his ribs were showing beneath the illusion. His island needed food on it, because he wasn't about to die out due to something as simple as starvation. The doors of the castle opened, revealing a scrawny gray unicorn with a blue mane and a regular horn. While not the most creative disguise, it would have to do until she was able to trust him. Fortunately the illusion would allow the measurements to be the same as what his regular body would have, so the clothes would be accurate.  "I also will pay you to decorate this castle." 

Decoration as well? Well, she may not have been aware of such a request beforehoof and thus came with certain elements of her skill set under-equipped for complete success, but the amount of gems was simply too high to deny it. Besides, the castle already had a fine head start. Now that she was free from the shackles of complete guest politeness she could inspect it closer and come up with fine ideas for improvement. It would be far more difficult than designing some fetching pieces for the owner's wardrobe, but she knew she could get it done. And even if she had concerns about her ability to pull through, she wasn't going to say so. The payment was truly exceptional. "Redecoration? Well, I can't say that I came prepared for that but no matter! I can do that as well. I can make this place look as chic and stylish as you, and with a lot of help off the bat to boot- it already looks rather splendid," she said, closely examining the walls. Hmm, yes, the ideas were coming in thick!

But back to the client himself. She had yet to see him, or even have his measurements. Of course all of the gear important for it was in one of the suitcases that had been taken from her so it wasn't like she could hop to her appointed task as quickly as she may hope. She first had to find where she was staying- and with a yawn, she remembered the length of travel as well as the heady speed she made in her approach and how some rest would help recharge her creative sensibilities. Turning to nopony in particular, because nopony had yet turned up, she yawned once more and spoke up about this condition: "I am very excited to get to work, but I do find myself more than a little tired due to the rigors of my travel. Pray tell, where are my lodgings? A rest followed by some exquisite work sounds downright delightful."

King Sombra nodded.  "I will lead you to your lodgings,"   He said, coming into sight. Right now he was a gray unicorn with a blue mane. It was not the best disguise, but one that should suffice to fool her, or so he hoped anyway. After all, he had no desire to experience the Rainbow Cannon or another 'taste' of what the Crystal Heart was capable of doing to someone like him. With that in mind,  Sombra said to her as he was in sight.  "I have also taken the liberty of cooking some food, and I will offer you a choice. You can dine with me before you go to your room, or you can dine in your room. I shall leave it up to you,"  Sombra said because he knew he couldn't run the risk of her even connecting the dots that he was King Sombra. Now that he knew she was one of the ones who had re-lit the Crystal Heart, it was a matter of self-preservation.  "There may be a chance for more work for you later on if you wish to have more employment from me."  Indeed, hiring this mare to do his shopping in Equestria was less risky than risking an illusion spell failing him at the last possible minute. Of course, that was one of the reasons that he was having her prepare the clothing for him. 

• 2 weeks later...

He was such a courteous host! Truth be told she would have preferred dining alone. That would allow her to recharge her creative juices after some harsh traveling conditions, not to mention gave her the opportunity to quickly clean up before the odor of foodstufss melted into her groomed pelt. Better to smell neutral than like even the most delicious groomed spinach with greens soup. Which, by the by, sounded tasty. But for today she would decide to dine with her host. Anypony that had this many gems had to be somepony of good grooming and import after all. More vitally, she required his measurements and an idea as to where his tastes lay. After all, she was going to give him the sort of style and dress worthy of all this payment- royal, for all that! She was led in due time to her place of residence The castle had a certain draft to it. She had to fix that, too.

"Eating together would be delightful. I am famished, and it would be a good time to discuss what it is you are wanting exactly. There are simply so many styles to choose from, faces to wear, personalities to shine!" She said excitedly, looking around as she did so. Her brain was a constant swirl of planning for this place. For all the gems she was being offered, it better be. Not to mention another gem offer. This gentlecolt really knew the way to a businessmare's heart! A creative mare's heart too, for that matter. The next offer was getting a bit much, however. She already had two major projects lined up! "Well, let's leave future business discussions until after we are done working here for now. Don't want to be thinking too hard about the future and not enough about the present."

Sombra nodded at her remark. Best if they focus on the present, and not on the future. After all, presently he had one of the few mares who could pose a threat within his Castle. Granted Shining Armor and Cadance could pose a threat, what with the Crystal Heart. A relic that he did need to find a way to defend himself against somehow, but that he had no clue on how to do begin to do so. Quite probably there was no way to defend against said relic. For now, he banished such thoughts from his head, thinking of the various outfits she could make him. He knew that his armor was due for a redesign anyway.  "Alright,"  said Sombra, leading her to the dining room where he'd cooked a variety of foods, some of which she'd recognize from the Crystal Empire and others she wouldn't recognize as they came from other parts of the world. 

"You probably want my measurements, after we eat?" asked Sombra, levitating over some of the food with his magic and taking slow bites of it. Best to appear to be regal and dignified when around her. Of course, he was going to have to go 'shopping' later for food as soon as she left for her home. Sombra knew that with her here, he'd have to be on his guard and put any nefarious plans on hold. 

She was led to the dining room by her wealthy host, not giving any real thought as to any of the secrets he might be holding close to his gilded chest. Oh, she was curious to an extent, so much mystery surrounded every little step and behind every nook and cranny so far. And he, so willing to hoof over an amazing amount of gems, was less willing to discuss himself. Considering the sort of clientielle she dealt with it was more than a little unusual and very exciting. But she had a job to do and she was laser focused on making something worthy of all the gems he had thrown at her. She never had a client, even the richest and most famous of them all, offer so much so quickly and with nothing up front to show for it. It was thoughts of work and design, of pattern and prime, that dominated her thoughts as she was led to the dining room.

She took her seat and started to eat her food, taking slow, but swift, bites as she did so. The fare was mostly familiar from her time in the Crystal Empire, the scenes and dancing of the flavors being decidedly more soupy than other nation's primary foodstuffs. The Hernekeitto was especially flavorful! But there was a host of other tastes she couldn't quite pinpoint. No doubt an experienced taste tester or experiencer of the culinary arts could adequately place the region of some of these more unusual flavors that peeked out from around the corner of more familial dishes. "Some of this is ...unfamiliar, but in a good way. I can taste the influences of the Crystal Empire, but what else is there?" She asked, her question having a double meaning. This was the sort of work one may expect from a native of another region, or somepony with a great deal of experience at the very least living somewhere less well known to Equestrian tastes. Wherever this food was from, it would give her some idea of whom she was dealing with. As she spoke she sized him up, calculations running in her head constantly- her mind was a flurry of activity, such an exciting time it was! 

• 2 weeks later...

"A variety of foods from various parts of the world that I learned about from visitors to my island,  I decided to try my hand at cooking the foods to see if any of them were my favorite, and I have yet to find any to be honest that I could classify as a "favorite" of sorts,"  said Sombra to her.  "And very well, we shall hold off on future business offers for now." said Sombra wincing a bit in pain due to the cold air. The cold air irritated parts of his body that had not healed from the Crystal Heart. Gritting his teeth he forced a fake smile onto his face and knew that when he found a way to protect the Crystal Empire from the icy cold that was the Blizzards, the Crystal Heart was going to get lobbed into the nearest volcano, or something powerful enough to destroy magical relics of that nature.

Surely there had to be some way to do it. If nothing else, he could shoot the rock into space so he'd not be on the receiving end... no. He wasn't going to do that. It was best if he not try to reclaim his former home of the Crystal Empire because of what it could mean problem wise. Counting Cadence, Twilight, Celestia and Luna there were four Alicorns presently.  "I lived in the Crystal Empire, up until Sombra's defeat. The realization that he could come back made me move out, find somewhere he was less likely to be able to enslave me,"  said Sombra lying through his teeth to Rarity.  "Found this island, grew  a castle, the rest is history you could say." 

Rarity was a social creature of renown and skill. It was how she navigated the shark infested waters of the vibrant and treacherous fashion scene. She could smell and spot a phony smile and compliment from across a dinner table as easily and quickly as she could spot it backstage at a fashion show. And his smile was forced, pained. Was he being hurt by something? Emotional or physical? It could be hard to tell at times. A cold air swept through. Was that it? If the cold hurt, why did he pick such an isolated and cold location to live his life? It was a mystery. Shadow Spade would call it, "an exciting excuse to indulge myself in the comings and goings of the most mysterious creature of all, the Equestrian". Rarity could only guess he was forced out of where he lived.

And not just because he was afraid of Sombra, either. Many fled to Equestria. It was safe there. He fled to the badlands- the very tip of it. You didn't do that because you were afraid of a dead tyrant. It was more dangerous in so many ways. No, you fled to a place like this because you were exiled, either openly or by your own thoughts and feelings. It only added to the mysterious air of this gentlecolt. Rarity was very intrigued in so many ways, by so many stars, in regards to this gentlecolt. But for now she would continue to suppress her desire to know more. He was eccentric and rich and his reasons were his own. She was still mostly thinking about what style of fabric would go well on the floor of the dining room. Perhaps freshly sheared wool from Long Guo? It had a certain texture that was simply divine.

"How dreadful, darling. He really was a tyrant; I hope you can find the peace you seek out here," she said, much better at covering her social bases than he. She continued eating for a while but after a while her petite stomach had its full. "Well, this meal was fantastic, but I am quite full!" she said happily, "time to retire to my chambers for now. If you could lead a lady to her place, I would very much appreciate it."

"Allow me to put up the leftovers,"  said Sombra levitating up the leftovers in a dark blue colored magic and moving them to the fridge. Every bit of food the two of them had not eaten was put away by him with his magic, and then he'd sigh for a moment. Keeping secret who he was from her was going to be difficult. He'd have to avoid dark magic around her although the idea of taking her as a prisoner was satisfying, he knew it would only lead to trouble for him. Engaging one Alicorn would be problematic, but now that there were at least five of the Alicorns out there in Equestria the chances of any suitable conquest were slim to none. He'd have to later visit the Crystal Empire in disguise, and see that Alicorn Foal that the Princess of Love had so he could see how much of a threat the Foal would be to his future attempts to reconquer the kingdom perhaps. On the other hoof he could build a Kingdom out here, rather than conquer the Crystal Empire again. It was probably for the best that he give up on the Crystal Empire for now. 

He'd then lead her slowly to her quarters. "I am glad you enjoyed the meal, Miss Rarity. I will have to go restock the food supplies at a future date,"  said Sombra. This was true, he knew he'd have to go 'shopping' for some food so that he could restock the pantry of his castle that he had built for himself. When they had arrived at her quarters, Sombra had a smile on his face for a moment. Perhaps later he could make sure she'd stick to her word, and reveal himself.... no. He wouldn't do that yet. She'd been one of the ones who'd made it possible for the Crystal Heart to blast him.  "When you are well rested, we shall begin you making me outfits. I require a set of formal wear, as well as casual wear. In addition, if you could manage it, I require an outfit that will have a "notice me not" enchantment on it,  which would make most ponies ignore my presence."  This way at least one of them could allow Sombra to sneak around. 

• 2 weeks later...

The gentlestallion took this opportunity to lead her to her quarters. The design of the hallway was less spectacular than the rest of the castle thus far but was in-line with an encroaching sense of worry. So much of this seemed...rushed, yet the result of effort over a long period of time. It spoke to a royal quality blemished, grandeur denied. She could sense sadness and regret in the cold interior. The castle spoke to the same sort of sensibility she imagined one could have felt around Luna before the fall. No matter- the past was the past. Whatever happened to this stallion to put him in this situation was of no real concern to her, despite her near insatiable desire to know more. Her mind was already working on more ideas. She had discarded what felt like dozens of ideas by the time she reached her quarters. This was a very exciting time. "Thank you so much. You've been very kind thus far- no doubt we will work together very well," she said with an excited, impish giggle as she trotted on in and closed the door.

It didn't take too long for her to fall asleep. Or at least the best approximation of it she could get at the time. Her subconscious was at war with itself and her in equal and very explicit manners. She didn't think consciously just how strange he was. No name, alone out here, no servants but with such a large castle. So much of this was off. It didn't add up. Her mind, an ordered thing where others' clutter was concerned and cluttered when her order was concerned, was unnerved. But for every thought concerning the strangeness of the setup there were a dozen floating, flitting, wild bursts of creativity. Fabrics and designs, styles and fittings, all centered around this stranger and what made him so unique. Of course the rest of the estate wasn't spared the midnight hour's unrestrained grasp of her creative mind. Given time she could make this rustic gilded grandeur look proper and chic, deserving of the ancient stonework that spoke mightily to a sense of ancient allure.

All of this was to say that despite her rest being fitful, full of whispering and tossing and turning, she felt refreshed when she woke up- mad bursts of creativity could do that!

When she woke,  Sombra was outside her Quarters that morning having had brought her breakfast. Normally he wouldn't demean himself like this or serve anyone breakfast in their room but given that he needed the outfits for future plans, it was best if he stayed in her good graces. Still, he was a bit miffed at himself for doing something like this, but what could one do, right? As he thought about that, Sombra summoned the plate he had prepared from the kitchen that contained some eggs, and rice balls as well as some vegetables. A light breakfast, but after the heavy supper he'd prepared for them last night it was mainly leftovers, with some fresh food as well. 

"I've brought you breakfast,"  He'd say as he knocked on the door with his telekinesis while holding the plates aloft. Really he needed to seek out some employees who could perhaps be of use to him. His island needed more ponies on it. After all, he needed to get his island nation recognized as a Kingdom. Of course relocating somewhere warmer might be a good idea, if he could find a way to avoid drawing the attention of the Equestrians. Given they had Five Alicorns, a Spirit of Chaos, the Rainbow Power, the Crystal Heart, and the Elements of Harmony, along with a magical genius at their disposal Sombra was not stupid enough to attack Equestria. 

She awoke with a crack of her back, the relief washing over her accompanied by a yawn. Her dreams had most certainly been very restless and had taken a toll o her waking mind but only in a very immediate and small way. Mostly her mind was overrun with creative ideas for her client, things to make him shudder with excitement and decorating to make this dreary castle sparkle with the sophistication it so richly deserved. She made sure her mane was on point and she brought out some sketching paper to jot down some ideas, her glasses on. Indeed, she was up before the crack of dawn and worked by dim and fading candle light, excitedly and with great workmareship  to get her ideas down before the light stole some of her motivation. A true creative spirit flourished in the darkness before dawn just as well as in the warm summer night, after all! She went through page after page, sketching and writing down details to both give her client the best possible understanding as well as working through her ideas- some of which she became chagrined at and tossed aside when the vision she had was not fully realized on paper.

There was a knock- she jumped up and trotted over, revealing the gentlestallion had brought her breakfast. How kind of him! "How thoughtful of you! Thank you so much for such a wonderful stay," she said, taking control of the breakfast and setting it next to her pile of sketches and ideas. "I have been up for a while now, ironing out the details of several possible designs for you. I just need some more information, if you could be a dear and help me out even more than you already have," she said, using her magic to levitate a tape measure next to her. She then nodded to the corner, where she had already unpacked and set up her measuring station and stage. "I need to take your measurements now. My mind is just SWIMMING in ideas, so I simply must have some hard data to work off of!" She said with great passion and drive, laughing and tossing her mane. "That breakfast does look simply scrumptious- a few bites won't hurt while you position yourself just so."

• 3 weeks later...

"You're welcome, for the wonderful stay,"  said Sombra, getting into the ideal position for her to measure him. "Also, how much would you want to do my shopping in Equestria? There's a set of six one of a kind gem stones I want to get my hooves on."  It was true, the Elements of Harmony if in his possession could give him a lot of magical information he couldn't otherwise have, if he were to analyze them perhaps he could find a way to turn himself into an Alicorn and level the playing field in that aspect. While he didn't want to become an Alicorn, he knew that trying to reconquer Equestria, any part of it required that he DID become one.  "Mainly because of what the gemstones have caused not that long ago, I am interested in seeing HOW they did it, and replicating a similar event for myself..." said Sombra, trying not to sound too eager. If he were to get the Elements of Harmony under his direct control, he'd be able to create darker counterparts to the Elements. which would be more powerful and then he'd be able to... no. He'd lose if he were to do something like that. It was best to analyze the Elements, Alicornify himself as a precaution and then destroy the Elements of Harmony. 

8XeOsHy.png

A set of six one of a kind gems? He did have his sights set high! Of course, somepony with his own castle in the far reaches of the world and who was willing to throw outrageous amounts of bits at a dressmaker- no matter how artistic she was- would only want the best. He had picked her, after all! The air of mysteriousness only grew as it was plainly obvious that he had specific gems in mind, and an eye for the extravagant. She was too busy taking his measurements at first to really respond, but her interest was most definitely piqued. She wasn't sure if he understood just how much such gems could cost but judging by his apparent wealth, cost was no real roadblock.

After a bit she was done, and started writing it all down in her notebook. Glasses on, she finally responded. "I would be more than pleased to do your Equestrian shopping, though I must admit that this is all a little strange. Why can't you go to Equestria yourself and do your shopping?" She asked, rounding out one element of the design. She held it up to him with her tongue out and gave a considered harrumph. "No, no. That won't do. It needs less of...hmm, maybe not that much less..." she mumbled creatively. Back to him as she worked on the design. "Seems like you have your eyes set on some special gems. What are they, if I may be so bold?"

"Let's just say, certain people would recognize me, certain individuals I have no desire, nor time to run into right now."  It was true, Sombra had neither the desire nor the time to deal with Celestia, and Luna, or Cadance and Twilight. When you added that Discord had apparently been "reformed" well Sombra was a tiny bit frightened for his life. Should Discord decide to do so, he could turn him into a toad, or take his horn or something like that. The mere thoughts nearly made him cringe, but Sombra forced himself to banish those thoughts before he could show any sort of physical reaction to them.  "And the gems I want, they aren't in use by anyone. I believe you know them as the "Elements of Harmony" and my main purpose for wanting them, is to study them, figure out the enchantments on the gems. Who knows, maybe one day ponies could have Elements of Harmony of their own."  Not his real intention for the gems, his real intent was to try to do something, anything to level the playing field between himself and Five Alicorns, and a Draconnequis, not to mention the newly dubbed "Spirits of Harmony" as he called them. It was ridiculous how overpowered he was, and he'd need to do something to change that. Perhaps he could try to recruit some minions, so that he could use them to do the work he couldn't. Having Rarity as a minion, even an unknowing one would help a lot.  

"I do have a question though. You and your friends did beat Tirek. Care to tell me how you pulled off that miracle?"  Sombra had only heard about it, not learned the full details and if they had some sort of special item required to use the Rainbow Power, perhaps he could smash it, or hex it, or do any number of things to render it inoperable. "The other reason I want the Elements is because I believe THEY were connected to your friend, Twilight Sparkle's Ascension. I'd like to prove that theory right, or at least attempt to do so. Unfortunately, I don't have time with the constant work on my castle to go into that forest, the Everfree I believe it was, and retrieve them myself." 

8XeOsHy.png

Well, that was a surprising twist. So much so that Rarity had to stop writing and turn around to face her client, mouth agape. This entire day had taken a turn for the strange, for the scary even. First he was more than a little vague on why he wasn't willing to goto Equestria. Certain ponies worried him. He wasn't really wanted. He was scared. All of that on its own only added to the mystique, like he was an old pirate captain who had found his safe harbor and didn't want to stir up the angry old sea. If his words had died on the vine there and it continued on then she would have tossed it into the floating charm and charisma that mystery so greatly implanted in her subconscious. It would have been better that way, in the final telling of things.

But then he asked about the Elements of Harmony. Those were the gems he was after? That pit in her stomach had opened up then. Nopony had ever, even in the high scientific councils of the Princesshood, requested that they be studied. They had either been myths or under the direct ownership of Celestia herself. And now- well, as far as most ponies were concerned, the Elements of Harmony were gone. Very few knew what had happened exactly or where they were. And even if they did know, they wouldn't even ask to see them. And to take them- even for study? None of this felt right. If it were for the betterment of ponykind as he alluded to, why do it in the dark? 

That wasn't the only thing wrong with all this, but it certainly didn't help matters any. He wanted to know how they beat Tirek when the story was already well known. She could barely explain it. And Twilight's ascension wasn't tied to the Elements, not really- it was tied to the Magic of Friendship which existed in them all, and best exemplified by the Element bearers. At least, that is what both Twilight and Celestia said. After all, Cadance had become an alicorn before the Elements had been Rediscovered. And again, this was all so...weird. And dangerous, and not in an exciting fashion. The mystery was no longer alluring as much as it was concerning.

"We defeated Tirek with the power of our Friendship. And...darling, I don't think that is a good idea...and I don't think it could be done, anyway. Even if I wanted to, the Elements are...well, out of reach, really. Besides, the Elements don't work like that- you can't duplicate what they do. The Magic of Friendship exists in all of us, all you need to do is open yourself up to it and what it means," she said sweetly before her brows furrowed. "Now. all of these questions have been very...strange, to say the least. Anypony who has followed any recent events would know most of this. I understand you may be secluded, but...why, and to what end?"

Sombra then looked at her for a moment, and decided that it was best to drop the charade. First though, he'd need some assurance that he was not doomed, if he did so. This was why he summoned up a chest of priceless gemstones near her, and a contract. The contract was over 2000 words that amounted to basically, she would not tell any pony or other creature where he was, or reveal his existence in any fashion unless he presented a clear and present danger to her friends, family, or extended family. At present, he didn't present a danger of any variety to any of those, because he had not bothered trying to expand outside of his island. He'd then say to her. "When you sign this, I will explain who I am, what I wanted those gemstones for, and a lot more,  Miss Rarity."  Sombra said respectfully. Should she show trust in him, and sign the contract, he'd begin.  Sombra waited, showing no signs of impatience, or anything else. The contract was about 6000 words, and 10 pages in length.  "You will also receive this chest, that has a bag of holding enchantment and has stored 2000 more gemstones inside of it."  And all he had to do to honor his bit of the contract was avoid from threatening Equestria or the Crystal Empire. There were other areas out there, other Nations he could try to conquer once he had built up the forces that he'd need in order to do so. 

8XeOsHy.png

Rarity was very uncomfortable with how this was proceeding. She hadn't expected such a mysterious pony to be entirely forthcoming in any case but she had expected a more direct answer to such a direct questioning. Asking her to sign a document to reveal more about his intentions was, at this stage, not at all charming. It was equal measures alarming and rude. She was obviously very uncomfortable with what was happening and if he was ignorant as to her rather blatant need to know more, or if he was hiding it because of danger, then maybe this whole deal needed to be called off.

His offer of two thousand more gems was also not helping. The amount of gems being offered for the work requested was obscene and was entering bribery territory rather than payment for services rendered. A reward for signing a contract, one with such...unusual stipulations? She was not compelled to listen to these honeyed words nor these tempting offers a moment more than needed as it was becoming apparent that there was something much greater than a mystery stallion's need for grandeur.

And whatever it was that he needed or was planning, she didn't want any part if it if he felt the need to keep it hidden from her behind lock and key- the surest sign of something very untoward and unbecoming of a lady.

“I'm quite sorry but I refuse to sign this. I will not take gems and profit simply to learn the truth. If you are this desperate to hide your intentions my good sir, then you clearly have intentions beyond my capability to help you. You must tell me or I must take my leave- you can keep the gems, I am too uncomfortable to accept payment until I know who you are and what you are doing,” she responded firmly, her face stern yet not without acceptance. She wanted to know, not engage in any unladylike behavior.

Sombra looked at her for a moment, and then decided there was no point in lying. Not when she could summon the Alicorns with a single spell from her horn, and returning to the ice was a problem that he didn't want. She had refused his more than generous offer, and so he decided he wouldn't alienate her any further. "Promise not to scream, or summon the Rainbow Power,"  He said, shedding the illusion around himself, and revealing that he was in fact Sombra. Although he looked skinnier, and his fur was matted in places. His armor was also broken, and stabbing into his skin, which was one of the reasons he had paid to have her make new clothes for him.  "As to what I was doing, trying to AVOID being on the receiving end of the Rainbow Power, and Elements of Harmony, not to mention Five Alicorns, and Discord, the individuals I said I was trying to avoid earlier." said Sombra. "I do need the new clothing, Rarity if for nothing else, than I must get a new outfit. Unfortunately, given that all of my other clothes are in the Crystal Empire, and the Crystal Heart is still there, you could see why I have no desire to return there any time soon," began Sombra.  "And my sole reason for wanting to study the Elements of Harmony? To reverse Engineer the spell that Twilight used that turned her into an Alicorn, so that I can cast my own variant on myself, to increase my chances of SURVIVAL!" 

"I have decided on something, Rarity."  said Sombra.  "Since you were willing to make the clothing before me, and were true to your element, I will allow you to decide," said Sombra. He'd summon up a pre-written letter that he'd written, announcing his whereabouts to the Princesses, copies of which were enchanted to the Royal Guard, should he sign it.  "Do I live, or do I die?" 

Hopefully she wouldn't make him surrender himself to the Princesses, but really Sombra was putting a lot of trust in her right now. Trust that in nominal circumstances he wouldn't have had to show. However, he did need this place decorated and he needed the new clothing. Having her as an ally, even one who wouldn't exactly be willing to do anything dark, was well worth the risk.  "For if you say die, this sends. I am putting myself,"  He'd levitate up a painful looking horn ring, and attach it to his horn with a hoof, this blocking his magic. "At your mercy." 

The horn ring was also causing him pain, but pain that he could live with. 

8XeOsHy.png

Finally, the revelation was upon her! All of this time, all of this mystery, wrapped up in a stallion who couldn't help but let things lie. She was excited to hear it, but a little worried. Why be so secretive, why be so obtuse and unusual? There were so many possibilities and not many were extremely pleasant. Terrified of Equestria, unwilling it sounded like to leave his cold and lonely fortress on the edge of the world. He paid a tremendous amount in bits but where did they come from? How did he get them? Where from? How did he pay for the labor or acquisition? So many questions needed answering. So many unusual circumstances demanded an unusual, possibly unpleasant, answer. And for all of that, as he spoke, Rarity listened with an unusual amount of nervous excitement hidden behind a stony mask of stern stoicism.

That didn't last long when the truth came out in its entirety, as unpleasant as possible, as unlikely as anything and as darkly infuriating as she could have ever imagined. Sombra, he of the 'crystal slaves' fame, had tricked her into coming out in the middle of nowhere with the promise of a high paying job. Where did all those gems come from? His words were washing over her, but her mind was running already. Those gems probably came from poor ponies in some sort of gem mind, which probably existed not far from her. She hadn't really been searching for gems since she arrived but she just knew now that if she tried to, she could find high amounts of them everywhere. Then it struck her; this was why he summoned her, her special talent of finding gems! He was going to strap her to a dingy cart in some mine and force her to find gems for her, forever!

The calmer side of the brain tried to settle the now fully hyperventilating mare down. He could have tossed her into his dungeons from the moment she trotted in there but he hadn't. What he was saying seemed very dramatic but also tinged with the truth. He was right to fear the collected power of the many Alicorns and various magical instruments that would be arrayed against him, and summoning one of the former Elements of Harmony wouldn't help him now that the Elements were inert and the Rainbow Power wasn't tied to the presence of all of them at once. There was nothing he could do. He was impotent, and as she could see, he was still in very desperate need of clothing. He looked a mess. Thinner. Not well.

And then he did something else, and it was enough. He put some sort of limiter on his horn, one that she could even feel from here was painful. It was a a very strange and awful thing to do to himself, and now there was simply too many things going on. She was terrified, alarmed, curious, felt a little bit of pity, and was now horrifed. Too much. Too much. “Y-Y...You're S-S-Som...bra...” She said before she teetered over and fainted, landing hard on the cold floor below.

An hour later, Sombra came back into the room, carrying a bucket of water in his mouth. He'd splash it onto her clumsily. Unused to using his mouth, he also stumbled and got the clothing he had been wearing wet. Having a passed out mare in his castle was not his idea of a good time, in any definition of the word. He'd not let her remain unconscious when he needed the new clothing, before he could begin using the gems he had grown himself, to earn himself bits, and resources for his island.  "First, I didn't use slaves. I grew the gemstones myself, using my own methods, and tactics to accelerate their growth. I was trying to lay low, something that became difficult, when the island ran out of natural resources, other than deposits of minerals I could "encourage" to grow with my abilities." 

"Second, you are likely worried about me enslaving you. In my current condition, I couldn't do such. And did you see any servants on the island, or any slaves? Probably not. See, I didn't bother enslaving any-pony, just did the work myself." 

@SteelEagle

Archived