Official Discussion Thread - S07E04 Rock Solid Friendship

maud_pie_by_kaikoinu-dai132d.jpg

She can hardly contain herself!

Another week which means another episode full of the adorable ponies we all know and love!  This episode features the return of everyone's other favor pie, Maud! Now with her "rocktorate" in tow Maud is looking to move on past the farm.  Could she be moving to Ponyville and becoming a regular?  Will she start a comedy routine with her sister as the straight mare? Tune in to find out! The episode airs Saturday 11:30 AM EST on April 29th!! :) <3

This thread is dedicated to discussing the episode before, during, and afterwards. As the thread is now open it may indeed contain spoilers. I ask that potential spoilers talked about or shown before the episode airs stay within the spoiler tags please, after the episode you no longer have to use the spoiler tags, but warning, if you haven't seen the episode yet after it airs, this thread no doubt will have all sorts of spoilers in reviews, images, etc. So tread at your own risk. :blush:

Very cute episode.  However, Pinkie was really riding the line between quirky and freaking annoying.  

I recently read a blog post by Kkat, the fan-author who wrote Fallout:  Equestria.  Link Here.  She points out that this season seems to be setting up Starlight and her own group of friends as focal characters.  We always had the Mane 6 and the CMC as separate focal points before, now the writers look like they are giving us a third:  Starlight Glimmer, Trixie, Thorax, Discord, and now, with today's episode, Maud.

This has got to be my favorite episode of the season so far. More than a few laughs in this one.

Spoiler

1. How Pinkie just snatches Lyra....And the green pone is confused...annoyed...then horrified....Thankfully, she is quickly dragged away by Bonbon. No dialogue. It was over in a few seconds, but it was still very funny. I have a feeling Pinkie is going to have to bake a few more of her 'Apology' cakes.

2. Considering how Pinkie is usually excited about ANYTHING, the fact that a beloved family member might be moving to the same town as her, did make her extremely obnoxious.  Thankfully, this was not ignored by the others.

3. I liked Maud and Starlight’s relationship. It’s probably nice to hang around with Maud after dealing with crazy ponies like Trixie or Pinkie.  And for someone who shows very little emotion, when she does, Maud has a very cute smile..

9foaDY2.png

4 More brain damage for Derpy. Poor kid.

I'm with Tacobob!  This was, by far, the BEST episode of the season so far!

You can't lose with Pinkie Pie going so far 'over the top' while Maud Pie is, well, Maud Pie!

Nice cameo by Derpy too! 

I laughed nearly all the way through this one!

:smirk::smirk::smirk:

This was actually a good one other than Pinkie being overly obnoxious... again. She got in the way of the interactions, but I want to give it a pass considering it felt like we were supposed to put ourselves in the shoes of Starlight and Maud this episode. The dialogue mostly felt natural all the way through. Oh right, the flashback bit between Starlight and Maud was kind of dumb. It reeks of the writing style of having everything connected purely for the sake of attempting cohesive storytelling. It's forced and was unnecessary. Overall, I really liked this episode though. Despite my complaints, nothing was truly off-putting.

I will admit Pinkie being Obnoxious was a little annoying but at the same time if you take it in her perspective her actions were out of love for her sister. She rarely sees her and we've seen in the past she has deep love and care for her and wants people to like her and for her to have friends. That's why she made that course in season 4 when they introduced Maud. Pinkie was excited for her to finally be near her all the time and not so far away. She also knows how dangerous ghastly gorge can be with those giants eels. She wanted this friendship thing to work so her sister could stay at Ponyville and be happy with her and since she's friends with everyone in Ponyville and everyone seems to lover her and she even got Cranky to like her she figures it would be quick and easy if he "helped." I'm not justifying her obnoxious behavior or saying she was in the right. I am simply trying to explain her obnoxious behavior so it isn't looked as "Out of character." Of course this is just my view on the whole thing. 

TLDR: She did it out of love for her sister and for her happiness and desire to always have her around. 

Archived