Is Celestia's Sun raising all that special honestly?

Monokuma

I mean scientifically the Sun is a star and it's puny compared to all other stars. Same argument can be made for Luna as the moon is smaller, but what I'm getting at here is if in this universe raising the Moon causes the stars to appear doesn't that mean Luna is also raising a billion suns in comparison? 

Scientifically, you can't raise a "Star" or a "moon".  I don't really think the MLP Canonverse really complies with our scientific standards. :P 

I know I just always thought that if she's raising the sun which is technically a star yet Luna brings the night which includes billions of stars that are both bigger and smaller than the sun wouldn't that mean Luna is doing something more impressive than her.

I still wanna know how they got their cutiemarks. Like what's the story behind it and behind Luna's black mark around her cutie mark. Like did Celestia and Luna wake up one day and was like "**** that round object in the sky" and just put it away?

On 5/18/2017 at 8:42 PM, Monokuma said:

I know I just always thought that if she's raising the sun which is technically a star yet Luna brings the night which includes billions of stars that are both bigger and smaller than the sun wouldn't that mean Luna is doing something more impressive than her.

I recall seeing a comic on the 'net somewhere where Luna made that exact point.

It was she and Celestia before the banishment, and Luna asked 'since the sun is a star, and I control the stars, does that not make me more powerful than you ?'

Celestia thought that was amusing.

But then Luna came up with a few more (seemingly) good ideas  - like 'would it not be better to just rotate our world than to move the sun ?  It would require 333,000 times less effort !' - going by the fact that the sun is 333,000x more massive than the Earth.

After a few more comments like that, the last panel was the standard 'And the younger sister grew jealous, and had to be banished to the moon.'

Kinda wonder if Equestria has time zones.  Or what happens after the sun drops below the western horizon - it has to be moved to come up in the east the next morning.

Might be one of the those 'do not think about this too much' type question ...

Well, the stars don't move, so... this doesn't exactly make sense. Neither does the sun mind you (this is TECHNICALLY not correct, but for the purposes of this it is correct enough). Though I always assumed that they were working of the logic of ancient peoples that believed deities moved them across the skies. Thus Celestia and Luna became those deities, being in control of the sun and moon. 

Archived