The Princess of Friendship (Open)

SteelEagle

TwiBanner_zpsvi6knv7w.png

Watching her library be destroyed by Tirek had stunned Twilight. She had expected a lot of things but he was so far away and the explosion so powerful- it was all gone. Luckily nopony or nocreature was hurt, but it was all gone. She had taken it in for a second before she had charged off to battle and used as fuel for the raging fire within. That wasn't the only whirlwind event of the day, or even that hour, involving what would be her home. The Tree of Harmony produced a castle of her very own, an at times disconcerting piece of crystal architecture not fitting in with the Ponyville skyline as it were. It was a sign of not only her new role as Princess, the Princess of Friendship, but her new home and seat of power for the Ponyville area. It was hard for a lot of ponies to grasp, even if the results were bound to be lovely.

Then there was the case of Starlight Glimmer. The former enemy unicorn had, through the power of friendship, become a great friend and ally. It had not been easy and Starlight still had places to improve, but considering the horrifying implications of her end goal it was a stunning reversal. And while she had a lot to do with it, Twilight was not arrogant enough to believe the truth was as cut and dry as that. It had a lot to do with Ponyville, too- a near pitch perfect representation of Equestrian values seemed to be embedded into the very foundations of the town. Maybe that was why she was here, because it certainly wasn't because of its rural nature. 

The Princess of Friendship ruled from Ponyville of all places- who would have thunk it?

Certainly not Twilight. Not in a thousand years could she have imagined her luck, first at having made such great friends with which she had saved Equestria five times and the Crystal Empire once, and now being so lucky as to have her seat of power located within walking distance of them all. It didn't make certain aspects of being a Princess any easier even if she now had castle staff to help out with a lot of the minor matters. Now that she had a castle, she also had to deal with a great deal of foreign relations and visits and her court was rarely without a foreign supplicant praising the newest Princess of Equestria for this deed or that. She still had work to do of all sorts, from the high and mighty to low and ignoble. Every department imaginable wanted her signature for this, that, or the other and she often found herself spending as much time giving her signature to law and budgets as talking to ponies!

That was why, as the Princess of Friendship, days like today were important. She couldn't pass along her own knowledge, help out ponies in need, or arbitrate disagreements from behind a quill half as effectively as she could on her throne. Then she could be as sincere as needed or as firm as needed rather than go long-winded in her replies, and her openness allowed for ponies of all sorts to meet and greet her if that was all they wanted to do. It was a more relaxing way of doing things than perhaps Celestia was used to even if that was entirely luck-based. While she had her fair share of nobleponies edging into her court looking for favor, she had far less of a court politics contingent than other Princesses were forced to deal with. No, the majority of her visitors were normal ponies or business ponies, and on those two accounts she was well-qualified.

Of course she wouldn't do it alone. Friendship was collaborative after all and she couldn't imagine doing it without Sunrie, her Page-turning Squire. She sat next to her in her own tiny little seat with a table separating the two with some tea, crackers, and a few nice pieces of candy on it. To her left was one of the Twilight Guards who stood watch over the Princess on her rainbow throne, raised several steps above the floor at the end of a red carpet. The carpet started at the entrance of the castle and went through the whole hall to her hooves, the path that ponies could follow to her laid out in a straight lane and flanked by two squads of guards along the route. The sun was already high and she was behind, so Twilight nodded at one of them. He bowed and opened the door to the throne room, outside of which was the main lobby and the entrance to the two sides of the public library.

"The Princess is open for visitors. One at a time, no pushing," the Guard spoke plainly, he and another Guard's crossed spears opening for the first of many ponies to meet Twilight.

OOC:
Here are the rules for this thread:

1- One character in the thread at any time.

2- You may have up to three characters in this thread. Any more, please PM me for approval.

3- When there are other people in line, please do not take up too much time. If you are the only one then this is different.

4- Have a reason that your character is here to see her in the flesh. Simple things like just checking up with a friend could be done via letter, silly.

5- Any member of the Twilight Guard may stay in this thread long term. Sunrise Beach.

• 3 weeks later...

It seems it was a slow day for the Princess of Friendship.

Not that Squall minded that. As a pony that found himself with very time to call his own recently, this development couldn't be called anything but lucky.

Just like the discovery that his employees made recently. The chest dug up during digging for the new mine contained a prof of existence of something astonishing. Thanks to efforts of his parents and his travels, Squall was thoroughly educated pony. But he knew that his own knowledge - due to being more across-the-board - was merely superficial compared to scholars specialized in certain fields.

As such he was in need of expert - one that would confirm authenticity of this find. And who could be better then Miss Twilight Sparkle, the Princess of Magic and widely known bookworm?

Almost as soon as the guard's word echoed through the crystalline halls, Swift stepped forward. He paused for a moment when the spearponies eyed him warily. Apparently they weren't fond of the idea that he brought a weapon with him. Swift however was a noble, a licensed swordstallion and wielding the blade was his special talent. Squall ignored cold gazes of Twilight's guards and troated forward unto the red carpet.

"Good afternoon Miss Spakle." he greeted the alicorn mare while shooting gazes left and right. After all it was his first time seeing interiors of the place. Pretty nice overall, but parts of it were a little barren for his tastes.

Swift wondered if the Princess recognized him. They attended the same events here and there, and since founding his corporation his face and name started to appear in newspaper more and more frequently, but there was no guarantee.

"Swift Squall of House Squallcoast, at your service. But maybe we can skip the formalities?" he asked. After a slight pause he continued.

"Miss Sparkle, before I reveal the issue I am here for, allow me to pose a question. As a Princess of Magic, you are no doubt knowledgeable about various facets of it. As such please tell me, how familiar are you with alchemical parts of it?"

Twilight didn't need the introduction, though it was a pleasant way to start the festivities nonetheless. Squall's corporate growth was known to Twilight, as she had a more active interest in the economic structure of Equestria than her colleagues. "A New Princess for A New Age," some of the papers declared, some of the same that had an interest in Squall as well. It was always very interesting to see how the economic policies of the nation and ambitions of businessponies coalesced, so no, he didn't need much of an introduction. She knew very well who he was, and not only for the aforementioned economic interests he was involved in.

He was a noted swordpony, one of a hoof-full outside of the Guards who was notable for such a talent. As most duelists of his nature, he suffered from a degree of arrogance regarding his skilled (she knew of a few Twilight Guards she'd take in a duel) but that was't mean to disparage his skill, nor did that even broach the wide variety of subjects he seemed to have vested knowledge of. He was a true renaissance stallion and a well-bred continuation of Squallcoast and everything they stood for, present, past, and future. Knowing him though he wasn't here for a friendly chat and she was proven right almost immediately.

"Well," she began, "I'm not the Princess of Magic, or even one Princess of Magic. I am the Princess of Friendship. Friendship is the cornerstone of powerful magic of course, but that's a discussion for another day. I know a great deal about the alchemic properties of magic. I wouldn't say I know the most, however. Zecora is perhaps the most knowledgeable in all of Equestria. Indeed, I go to her whenever I have a question no book can answer. Nonetheless, I can try to help. What is the question?" She asked, happy to help even if the dilemma wasn't friendship related.

"Then appears that I was deceived by what I heard, at least partially. So often these days when discussing the nature of the arcane I hear in response that friendship is magic." he said before pausing. Squall nodded in response to Twilight's following words.

"Humbleness....such a rare trait. It seems I chosen correctly coming to you before anypony else, Miss Sparkle." Swift mused. Noblepony took off his sunglasses and looked the Princess straight into the eye.

"Then as such well-read mare, you certainly are familiar with Mycus Thrice-Blessed and the works that are attributed to him."

Mycus Thirce-Blessed.....a famous sage and wizard that supposedly lived in times before unification of the three tribes. Astromancer. Evocator. Alchemist. According to tales and legends it was him that laid foundation under these crafts, and all other mystic arts that sprouted from them. Most modern scholars  nowadays claimed that he was nothing but a myth, and pointing out nopony could posses as much instinctual knowledge to pave the road for two of the great arcane domains, let alone three.

But didn't they lived in an age when legends and myths proved time and time again that they weren't merely tales but a reality?

"Two weeks ago..." Squall started spinning his tale. "My employees that were working over constructing the new mine in Itaily Mountains.made a small discovery. A small, undoubtedly ancient box sealed with sorcery." noblelpony said, immediately pulling the said box from underneath of his longcoat.

"Now, normally it would be up to others under my pay to deal with this find, but due to a coincidence I happened to be on the site in the flesh. My duties and responsibilities tend to be.....tedious, and repetitious. In the heart I am a stallion of action...but I guess you may know about that already..."

It was true. As a member of EPIC, Squall often found himself with tasks that demanded the service of his skills with a blade. The HQ additional also had fully aware of his mercenary past, something that they undoubtedly confirmed by now. It was necessary for them to do so. And Squall had little doubt in the fact that Twilight made herself familiar with his files as well. After all EPIC had no superiors other then the four Princesses.

"As such I took solving the mystery of the sealed box as the welcomed distraction from my usual, corporate activities." Swift continued.

"It took me a while. Oh gosh did it took me a while, but I opened this thing in the end. Having resources help. And inside I found...." with this words Squall lifted a lid.

"...a book. Or so I thought at first. To be honest it was in terrible shape. Magical sealing or not, I was afraid it would turn to dust if I touched it. As such I opted to use preserving elixirs and formulas despite the problems that would it make with verifying it's age. After allowing it to soak for a while I opened the tome...and immediately realized it wasn't just a book...." Swift paused.

"It was a journal."

Mycus Thrice-Blessed? Well, she couldn't say she expected that character from half-history and myth to come u today, though she wasn't unhappy about it. She had a fascination with all great figures, even those being weighed down by myths. Mycus may as well have been the spokespony for all figures whose real accomplishments had been shrouded in secrecy purely because of the myths associated with him. The worst part of it was because there was some honestly amazing things he did. If some of those accursed myths were only ever dispelled, it would go far in helping bring one of the great figures back to the public consciousness.

The time in which he operated was obscured by poor record keeping, which was part of it. It was very doubtful that he operated before the three tribes united to start with. Based on where he lived- far east of modern Equestria in the Itaily region- and known migratory patterns of ponies, it would have to be after by several generations. Of course the difference between several generations here and there due to the nature of ancient records and with so many being lost was minimal. He was likely still one of the earliest well known curators of the magical arts and a pony who loomed large to any real scholar.

How large? That was the real question. Claims loomed large. She dismissed claims that he helped form the base of alchemy. Modern scholarship pointed very firmly to the zebras of Unyasi, and with the introduction of the art into Equestria in the modern sense by the great zebra explorer and prince, Hodari the Gentle-Soul. The evidence was dramatically in favor, and pre-exchange Equestrian alchemy was scattershot and weak in its nature. Still, those who cared to look knew that Mycus had a hoof in the creation of one of the old, dead schools of Alchemy whose most distant relative was the modern Itailian wine industry, if only really confined to a few vineyards.

Astromancy was another. Mycus advanced the art, but that existed in recorded history before the tribes even left Maretonia. Indeed, it was an art practiced for untold generations which fell out of favor and in most ways died after Equestria was founded, with the Royal Sisters providing much of what that magical art did. What Mycus did was refine elements of it not directly involved in such tasks, and remained in Twilight's view the most advanced form of that magic that does not involve the Royal Sisters. The fact this was lost to myth was understandable. The link between Maretonia and Equestria was barely understood until recently, with records destroyed or lost to time, lack of care or communication from the dour nations of Maretonia, and distance conspiring against history. It was thus easy for many to believe that nopony ever practiced Astromancy save for the sisters and that any proposed users of it were mythical figures.

Evocation was a more obscure and odd magical art. It had many starts and ends, false finishes and aborted beginnings. Even today more than a dozen different schools of thought and forms of Evocation were practiced. It wouldn't surprised her if Mycus was involved to some extent in it. Indeed, it was exciting to hear about the journal. Twilight would have preferred such a journal have been sent to the Royalty for proper safekeeping and record keeping. She had perfected more than a few spells to repair old materials and even read something without having to open it. Alas, it was not to be, and perhaps would have been rude of her to even ask had that been the case. She was just happy Squall was there to save history once again.

Lost history was always sad.

And of course it was Squall. He was an oddly competent and effective agents of EPIC, and even in his own time provided her with some interesting discussions, today being no different.

“Well, that is certainly very intriguing. Can't say I expected to hear that name again. I'm guessing it has some amazing, one of a kind, history-altering revelations inside?” She asked, trying to keep calm but with more than a little excited hunger in her voice.

• 3 weeks later...

"Oh?" Squall expressed his surprise at Twilight's, well, surprise when it came to Mycus name turning up. "Expectations are fickle things in this time and age. Old myths and legends awaken, very much alive and valid, to remind ponies of today about themselves. And we both ran into them, have we not Miss Sparkle? After all, we stand inside one of them right now." noblepony reminded the Princess.

"I wouldn't call the findings from this journal revolutionary, more like....confirmatory to some historical speculations and theories present." unicorn mused. Squall couldn't help but notice the sparks in Princess eyes. Stallion wasn't surprised. He witnessed the same kind of passion many times in the past, a flash alike to lightning that came with venturing into unknown, when uncovering the secrets of nature or the past. Indeed he knew that feeling well. After all, he the glimmer of it in the mirror this morning.

"First of all, this journal did not belonged to Mycus. But it is the second best thing. From studying it I found out that it was written by his discipline, the mare of the name Rye Wind." businesspony explained as he opened the journal and started to flip the pages. "And her memoirs clarified the many things and shed a light on few other. Mycus indeed was just one pony, despite some speculations telling otherwise. He learned alchemy from Unyasi zebras directly. He was also apparently much more skilled and knowledgeable in fields of his interests then he let on. Apparently he chose to keep many things to himself. But he also..." Swift paused as he looked Twilight straight to the eye. "Well we get to that one later.

Oh, and all this confusion about at what time period Mycus has lived? You know what I am talking about Miss Sparkle. Some claimed that it was before the unification, some that after...." Swift mused. "But if what is written here is true....then there is no contradiction between the two camps. Because according to those memoirs Thrice-Blessed clocked-out at ripe age of 471 years old!" unicorn proclaimed and gave Princess a look that dared her to call foul.

The name Rye Wind was decidedly less exciting in a true historical sense. Records were even more scattershot, though she was responsible for some magical artistry of her own. She just wasn't considered exceptional in any way, though her connection to the various myths of Mycus helped keep her memory alive in some way. She would have preferred a more historical account of her being passed on down through the ages but when history is forgotten and the life you led blends into the wonderful but often times dangerously anonymous tapestry of pony history, she supposed myth is a better substitute for being completely forgotten.

It was good that the journal made note of his dalliance with zebras and the origin of his knowledge in that area. Modern scholarship had little problem assigning credit where it was due but ancient scholars had difficulties in that regard. The idea that he had been a bit humble in revealing his knowledge was new to her, but not entirely unexpected. Humility came as easily to genius as did the desire to be lauded for their achievements. In equal measure were they common; it was the rare figure who was known as neither generous and humble, self-interested and gloating. She was interested in the topic that Squall decided to dance around, the fact he was teasing her with it told her it was something more interesting than some of the others.

The last tidbit was the most interesting. It was true that in the ancient histories they recorded several ponies who had claimed to live centuries. And between the way that unicorn magic worked and how boundary-less they were in their pursuit of power, it wasn't entirely impossible. Even today, a unicorn pony who took care of themselves could expect perhaps a hundred years. Earth ponies could do that and half-more, while Pegasi occupied the lowest life expectancy by far- but the point being, it wasn't entirely impossible to imagine a unicorn who could live several centuries. Starswirl the Bearded was recognized as having lived several centuries himself, and that was acknowledged historical fact. It wasn't, therefore, entirely impossible that a powerful unicorn such as Mycus could have lived a rather extended life.

“That is interesting. Was it magic work that gave him extended life or a natural byproduct of the Kastroti-Equus line of the time? They were unnaturally long-lived, with several members of that Kastroti branch living greatly extended lives, though not approaching this claimed lifespan. If I had to guess, a mix of genetic predisposition to resist the aetheric degradation of the body mixed in with great latent aetheric powers, as well as some crafted spells to the effect?” Twilight asked with a scholarly focus on the how and less on the why, sipping fro her cup as she allowed Squall to continue. This was proving a delightful and unexpected way to start the day- a great day for magical discourse!

• 1 month later...

"What if I say neither?" Swift answered Princess question with one of his own. "Although some crafting was apparently involved, yes." noblepony admitted.

For a moment Squall was silent and rubbing his chin. "Perhaps saying 'clocked-out' was not the best choice of words on my part Miss Sparkle. What if told you that according to this...." Squall lifted journal a little higher for emphasis  "....Mycus didn't had a single wrinkle on his body up to the very end? And we both know he didn't had a privileges your mentor and her sister have." Swift pointed out before making a pause. "Oh, that reminds me, it may be a little off-topic but what kind of candles she uses on her birthday cakes? Did she switched to ones shaped like numbers or does she still sticks with quantity? Figured out you might know Miss Sparkle."

After another awkward pause stallion cleared his throat.

"R-right. So, back on topic. You see, Mycus passing wasn't exactly what you would call....voluntary. He had a little help with this. Which we know since said helper wrote about this."

Swift pointed at the book he brought with himself once more. "From what it is written here, it's clear that Rye Wind wasn't entirely happy with her teacher. She wrote about how frustrated and increasingly angry she was with her mentor. Apparently instead of passing his knowledge to one of his students, Mycus opted to write it in his Magnum Opus. Rye isn't entirely clear about it, she never names it directly but there are mentions about 'useless stone' and 'green piece of rubbish'." Swift paused again give Twilight time to digest what he just told her.

"Long story short, Rye envy and resentment over Mycus knowledge and skill eventually grew big enough that she decided to poison her teacher....And she succeeded. I suppose being learned alchemist herself it wasn't hard for her to find substance without smell or taste but lethal with effect." swordpony mused.

"Ironically Rye regretted her deed almost immediately after going through with it. I suppose she decided to document Mycus work from that point onward to make for it, because afterwards the journals is less about Rye ponysonal life, and turns more into reports about her findings about Mycus, his theories and so on. She however laments her ability of being unable to find his 'Life's Work'. "

Squall then lifted his eyes from the pages and looked Twilight directly into the eye.

"So we know few things now. Mycus was centuries old and apparently unaging. That didn't saved him from the poison however..Second he left all of his knowledge in a single written source. Third while not naming things clearly, Rye hints and musings are descriptive enough that one could guess about what she was writing...." as he continued speaking, Swift's gaze became more and more unconfused. His posture also seemed to shift into more relaxed one, and is voice shifted from the one that gave a 'matter of fact' lecture. It seems that Squall begun speaking from his heart.

"And we both think a same thing, aren't we, Miss Sparkle? Mycocetic Tradition, the movement that spawned from his teachings speak only about one work of Thrice-Blessed that contained all of his knowledge. One that apparently held secrets of Elixir of Youth...." noblepony words held more and more emotion with each syllable that rolled of his tongue, and sparks of excitement ignited in his eyes. It seems that he wouldn't stop talking even if Princess Twilight would ask him to.

"Mycus greatest work. His Magnum Opus. An artifact, not of power but knowledge! One that Mycocent's search for to this day in hopes of reading about secrets of prima materia. A thing that every self respecting alchemist would trade his or her limbs for! The Emerald Tablet. Tabula Smaragdina! And according to this journal it's real!"

• 2 weeks later...

That was very, very interesting. There were a few ways somepony could appear to be un-aging and not suffer from any negative effects, though once the aetheric rope was at the end there was little you could do to stop the march of entropy. Everything decayed; everything died, eventually. Still, it was exceptionally rare to have actual recorded use of such spellcraft at play. It was the purview of legends, myths, and rumor and less given to scientific study. It made the record as presented even more exciting. Still, she would remain a bit conservative at the moment if only to respect Squall and the love of information overload he was so well known for.

The story continued but it grew sad and not worthy of the scholarship of either one of them. Tragic to hear that Rye Wind allowed professional jealousy to dominate her in such a way, tragic that it had to end with a murder. Rye may have felt remorse but scholarship never made up for betrayal. It became somewhat obvious why she was not entrusted with his secrets. A keen eye could perhaps have spotted the darkness within another. If he knew the type of pony she was, even if he couldn't have dreamed what she would do, then it would make sense that he would keep such information locked away from her. If that bit of logic was sound then she could expect there to be a bit more security to the reliquary than a hidden location.

The idea that the Emerald Tablet was real was more than a little exciting for anypony with a base understanding of how magic worked. The Prime Materia, whatever it may be, was the white whale of many an acclaimed Zebra alchemist. It was rumored that in eons long past, some of the most powerful figures in Unyasian history had either benefited from some secret knowledge or, in some cases, were directly responsible for the creation of the Prime Materia. As befit most myths and legends the exact nature of it all lay misty and unresolved eternally, until, perhaps, now. Twilight wasn't sure if she believed that the Prime Materia was real, but she was more than ready to accept the existence of the Emerald Tablet, and Muccus' belief in it.

“Luna takes her cake with a single candle. Celestia prefers hers with numbers,” Twilight answered after a moment, resetting the mood to allow her hungry eyes to not pop out of her skull and devour the knowledge of the book in front of her. “This is an...AMAZING discovery!” she perked up, eyes alight. “The Prime Materia is one of the most sought after truths in all of Unyasan history. And the Emerald Tablet holds the answers to so many questions. The wonders it could have- or, more likely, the equally disappointing yet scientifically fascinating answers within...easily one of the most important finds in Equestria. Where do you think i may be located, after your research?”

• 3 weeks later...

"Well I was hoping you will help me with that Miss Sparkle." Swift said "I know languages, true. Read more then most, yes. But I am no scholar. You would be surprised how much of what I know comes from practice." he added with a dismissive wave of his hoof.

"And indeed, that's quite a find....IF it's real...." Squall mused while dramatically closing the journal. "Apologies for being a killjoy, but while book may be old, it doesn't rule out that it may be only a centuries old sham. Which is why I came to you Miss Sparkle, to confirm if this journal genuine article or not." noblepony said.

"I mentioned it earlier, didn't I? The books was in horrible shape. I had little choice but to use the preserving formula developed by my South Equestria Chemicals just to read it. But that in turn came with price of interfering with normal age detection spells. Which mean that determining how old this volume  must be done...in more taxing, old fashioned way." Squall said with a deep sigh.

"And this is a reason why I am here before you Miss Sparkle. I could try to find some other specialist but...." Swift paused. "...Well let me be straightforwards. Ponies tell that you ARE a bookworm Miss Sparkle. A kind of one that could help me with this find."  he added.

"To properly evaluate the authenticity of this volume one has to be familiar with sorcery, alchemy and has to posses an in-depth knowledge of Equestria history. Also be honest and well meaning. I wouldn't wish for some 'specialist' to run off with this book in hope of making a quick buck.  And keeping all of it in mind, you are an only pony who meets those criteria in one hundred percent that I could think of." unicorn admitted   "This is journal Miss Sparkle. It's suffused with tiny mentions of other events.While I was unable to make of them I believe You can, comparing what you find with other works you studied before...." noblepony mused while looking Twilight straight into the eye.

"So let's make a deal Miss Sparkle. I will lend you this journal for this purpose. Heck, I am agreeing to let it be copied to the Royal Records. In return any findings you will make will remain just between us, al least until we both decide otherwise. We both know there are kinds of knowledge...that are better as not public."

No doubt an age-finding spell wouldn't be as completely ineffective as Squall believed, through no fault of his own. You could always work on it using a variety of magical spells to rework the pages and heal the modernity of it, but the main issue there wasn't capability, but the laborious methods to achieve relatively simple results were not worthwhile investments of magic and effort. It would be perhaps more time intensive to simply study it but more worthwhile in the end. As a Princess, her time was precious- this was much better. “Yeah, most applicable age detection spells would be somewhat less than useful because of the chemical. Using Seeing Eye's True Life Spell in conjunction with Arcane Dream's Form in Perpetuity page by page might do it, but that is quite an expenditure for not much gain. I do have access to more...arcane forms, but suffice it is to say that the rate of return becomes lower over time and not worth the effort,” she said matter of factly, levitating her drink up as she was deep in thought.

He proposed a deal. She wasn't entirely sure what to think of the deal. On the face there was little issue with it, and she desperately wanted to say yes immediately. The journal, if true, would be a huge boon to the alchemical arts. And even if it were true and it didn't change much for alchemists it would fill in an important gap in magical history. There was a chance it was false and if so she could look forward to the future where it could be solved. All of these possibilities were fantastic in some way though there were clear winners. The cost didn't seem awful either. Squall was a member of EPIC and could be trusted with sensitive materials and was somepony who could handle himself. She could be assured that if it was kept between themselves that if there were problems that needed solving they could do it together quickly easily and silently. From that point of view the deal was pretty much on the nose and fine.

But there was something she found intellectually dishonest about hoarding information if the information was not dangerous. Academia thrived on the free sharing of information to help form papers and treatises for peer review. Safety demanded security but what if there was nothing but benign, safe information finding home inside? It felt wrong to keep it between them. So she would accept...with a caveat. “I find this deal acceptable under one condition. I will keep this between us initially only if it is decided that the information requires additional security measures before publication. I'm uncomfortable with keeping academic materials hidden unless a clear and present concern is raised while investigation of the contents is ongoing. Is this modification to the terms agreeable?”

• 2 weeks later...

"Yep." Swift agreed when Twilight mused about the possible methods of examining the book. "You know, I asked my accountant about doing just that. Turns out it's 600 grand. I may be - pardon my Prench - dirty rich, but I am not paying for that. I could build 4 military class airships for that kind of money. Throwing all of that into researching the book in hopes that maybe, maybe it may be an accurate historical material is just too random. And that's Discord's shtick."

Squall only stood here as Princess expressed her own conditions about the deal.

"I see...freedom for knowledge. But it isn't that easy does it? I am sure you can see the potential...consequences of making this public." Swift said while raising the journal.

"And I am not speaking  about breakthrough in Aeatherical History. Soon after publishing the journal there would pop out various daring expeditions here and there. Ponies risking their lives and fortunes...searching for Tabula Smaragdina. Lives and fortunes that could otherwise make our country grow. And there is the issue what happens who and when somepony finds it. I am sure that our dear WRAITH would be in really jolly mood if they got hooves on it." Swift said sarcastically. "There is also an question of what else could be written on it aside from theoretical recipe for Elixir of Youth? I am not really looking forward  for having some eldritch abomination summoned by some would-be adventurer. And then is the Elixir itself. What kind of ingredients it needs? How common they are? What would be long term consequences of having large parts of population live for so long. Oh and class conflict that it would bring, how could I forgot." noblepony finished in deadpan tone.

After a moment of silence Swift started again, and this time his words seemed more personal.....

"I am not fearing knowledge itself Miss Twilight, information in itself is neither good or evil. What I am afraid of is potential of abusing that knowledge. Making something public even with best wishes doesn't necessary means that things would as we hoped for. I believe you had experience with that. Knowledge could be abused or misunderstood, regardless of authors original wishes." Squall said, referring to not so stellar punishment of Friendship Journal. It may be a low blow, but some anvils needs to be dropped.

"Taking all of this into consideration, are you willing to make this potential knowledge available regardless? Are you willing to take responsibility for those potential scenarios? Not as a Princess but as a pony?" swordpony asked as he walked slightly to the side.

"Well, I am not. You may say defeatist...but I am not of the kind that lives on the prayer." Swift added while shooting Twilight an aside glance.

"I prefer to be pleasantly disappointed then be unprepared. Harmony knows that we - as a Nation - did it way too often in recent years  You adding the condition of publishing this text Miss Sparkle? Very well. However in that case I have additional stipulation of my own."

noblepony said while turning around to face purple mare once again.

"Journal can be published only after the Emerald Tablet is found and thoroughly examined by us first." Squall said, awaiting Sparkle's response in turn.

Twilight respected Squall's mental prowess, for he was formidable in many ways. His host of knowledge and capability made him a fantastic asset. But many times he could be accused, accurately, of being exceptionally verbose while skipping over certain details inherent to the words of others. In this case, he seemed to misunderstand what Twilight meant by additional security measures. As was often common to his line of thinking, he had boiled the options down to a black or white, all or nothing approach. Either they kept it hidden or they, apparently, tossed everything into the public view without a care. He also had an incredible knack for the dramatic. She always wondered why he hadn't decided to become a Bridleway actor. It tended to ruin his finer moments and colored the way he understood situations.

She had her hoof to her forehead as she started.
“Between you and Rarity I could start a Bridleway show, I swear...” she sighed, putting her hoof down and shaking her head. “You need to rewind your thought process and reconsider the words I said and the manner of my stipulation. Everything you have mentioned as potential issues arising from publication fall very neatly under the additional security measures I noted. Before the public learns of it we will have already done the hoofwork- the Tabula, the Elixir, locations and all information of the sort. By the time the journal is published, it will be alongside everything that we consider a security risk having been solved. Please, have a little respect and don't assume I'd allow blatantly dangerous information out there.

However, what I will not do is agree to withhold information for any sort of selfish reason. Academic discourse must be furthered for the good of Equestria. Deciding to withhold information at the start of any expedition, before you discover the nature of the information itself, is very dangerous ethically. If a problem is found, it will be addressed. We will not sacrifice safety, but we will not indulge secrecy for no cause either. Hence what I said before: We will only keep what is discovered between us for however long security demands before publication. No more, no less. So I agree to your updated terms- because they are the very same terms I have just proposed,”
Twilight replied. Her voice was more or less even throughout, but her frustration with the EPIC agent sometimes bubbled through. Why he had to make it far more difficult than it needed to be was beyond her. It was as if no matter what he did in his life he needed to make sure he as doing it the hardest way possible. Or at least believe he was.

She brushed her mane out of her face.
“So, when do you want to leave?”

• 2 weeks later...

"Well, I WAS born in Big Orange." Swift admitted but fell silent after Twilight begun to hammer how he underestimated her foresight for the potential problems.

"............I am sorry." unicorn stallion apologized. "Dealing with me must be....taxing sometimes. I guess my own issues tend to bubble through...." Squall continued while closing the Rye's diary shut.

"Years ago - for reasons my own - I decided to dedicate myself for betterment of the realm. And yet....no matter the method, no matter the angle I see very little impact. Worse yet, at the times when I could be of use the most I always seem to be away. It's....frustrating. Makes me feel like a obsolete pony. I guess that's why I am so....vigilant all the time, looking for potential problems, both imagined and very real. To finally contribute to something." noblepony said in a surprising moment of honesty. After a moment of staring at the ancient book he spoke again.

".....Perhaps I demand too much. That and...." his gaze shifted to the purple alicorn "...if I will gift a Royal Library with this volume then I guess I may leave a little impact after all. I may have a degree but I never was much of a scholar anyway. When it comes down to things, I am pony of the sword." business-stallion said as he laid the book on the hoofrest of Twilight's throne using his magic.

"Hmmmp, no time like present." Swift answered Princess question while turning around which in turn made his duster rustle dramatically. Apparently noblepony theatrics couldn't be set aside just like that.

"I have to meet with my future in-laws to discuss some details of the wedding. That, and I believe I took enough of both your time and patience Miss Sparkle." Squall said while looking over the shoulder.

"May the Harmony be with You Miss Sparkle. We will see each other again..." swordpony wished Princess good luck as he headed towards the door.

Squall's reasoning for being so unusual in his defense of the realm was understandable and definitely admirable. He was a noblepony born of privilege and into a life of ease should he have willed it, but his inner desire to do good scoffed at such easy notions. So he worked tirelessly to help only to fall prey to the hero's curse: the belief that nothing he did mattered. In the great equilibrium of safety and security there was a truism to the belief that strength invited challenge, and as such, heroes would always have villains. It was a harsh reality that anypony who was trying to do good by others would have to grow accustomed to. Still, the effort and desire was there, even if he sometimes seemed to focus too much on the worst possible outcome of his actions.

"You are a hero, Squall. That's why you are a member of EPIC after all. Keep well- contact me later about what day you want to start this expedition," she said, waving at him as he made his dramatic exit. Not that he was capable of anything less than that. It was an inborn trait of his, not one she or anypony else could shake easily from him. She gandered at the journal, telekintecally lifting it up and inspecting it. After a second her horn lit up brighter and her copy vanished, placed in safe keeping for now. There would be a time for study but that was not today. Today was a day devoted to the ponies of Equestria and her promise to help them solve various friendship problems. She didn't know what the day held in store for her but she knew it had be worth the time. She straightened herself out and took a deep breath.
"Send in the next pony, please."

Archived