Windwright

[Age of Heroes] A Walk in the Park (semi closed)

Mauser sighed and took off his costume while Rosetta berated him, letting her work herself up into a fury and wind herself out of it again. They'd had this talk far, FAR more often than she'd thought, actually. He'd set up a loop one day just to try to explain the why of it to her once, but hadn't made any headway finding out how to get his point across before he'd just given up and apologised. Profusely. With cheesecake. He was just making her angrier by not letting her yelling afect him, and he understood that too, but Rosetta wasn't the one he was really worried about this time.

When his costume was off, he took off his amulet and handed it to her as he grew into his full, looming height and plopped onto his rump. She stormed off, probably to rant at the trees for a while, before he took a deep breath and said. "I'm sorry you had to see that. Make no mistake though, you did have to, for three reasons. Number one, you won't be able to save everybody. Even if you'd caught me, by the time you'd caught up and with the way you were reaching, the whiplash would've been enough. Honestly, aim for the waist, and if you have the time try to slow the fall rather than stop it. Bungee, maybe. Second, when we train later, really, REALLY train, I need you to know that even if you lose control and hurt me, it won't be permanent. Don't hold back, we need to find your real limits before we work on finding your operational limits. And third, you have a good heart, Mutt. Your first reaction wasn't confusion, or panic. Those came after your instinct to try to save me already carried you over the edge. Don't lose that, but don't let it be a weakness either. Eventually someone is going to try to take advantage of that naivete, someone who means to have you hurt yourself. You can't save anyone if you're dead."

He glanced out toward the park, where Rosetta had stormed off to. "As for me, the loops are a failsafe.Rosetta doesn't actually know, because she wouldn't care, but I only figured out I could make these loops when I had an accident that should...well, let's just say that there's a reason I'm so confident in this power that my codename is Stable Loop, and not Second Sight or anything referencing my other powers." He barked out a laugh, gallows humor or no, "Honestly though, I have no idea why so many of us pick such dumb code names. Rosetta might have the right Idea, just going by her name.  Not that some of us don't or didn't have reasons to hide."

Rosetta huffed and paced, as best as a floating dog made of energy could, back and forth by a tree. Every time this sort of thing happens, he refuses to listen, refuses to understand why she gets upset. Sure, the death doesn't stick, but there's not been a single time that she's seen this happen that doesn't hurt. That she doesn't feel like even if it's just for a brief moment, she lost her brother. The death may not stick, but the emotion does.

Bahamut meanwhile kept quite, and kept his distance from either party. It was hard enough talking with Mauser since the guy seemed to have an invisible grudge against the dragon, and when Rosetta was in this mood, there was no consoling her. She had to burn out that frustration on her own. And Mutt, poor Mutt. He knew just like Mauser, and surely Rosetta, that Mutt needed to go through something like that eventually. And better for it to be in a controlled environ, rather than out in the world where you really can't do anything to stop it.

Mutt continues to pout a little bit aggressively as Mauser lectures him, stubbornly avoiding eye contact and trying to look like he's not listening at all, although his twitching ears betray him despite being pinned. He gets why Mauser did it, and all of that seems to make sense. The training, the not being fast enough, the life experiences. But it doesn't make him feel better. The dog eventually reaches up and rubs the back of his head with his left hand as he's told that he's going to be in a position where he might have to hurt Mauser, and that honestly makes him pout a little bit more. Mutt finally looks back at the honestly probably unreasonably older doggo, and comments briefly. "I always hated my name..." it's unclear if he means this name or... whatever name he had before, but considering he's going by Mutt, it's probably the latter. He then huffs a little bit and can't hold it in anymore.

The rubbery doggo doesn't really want to continue conversing like this, and looks toward Rosetta, who has wandered off and isn't around to talk to, then over at Bahamut, who looks like he might be... pitying the pup, and that frustrates him a little bit more. The thing making him so upset bubbles its way to the surface. "I... I wanted to jump off Liberty Building!" he exclaims, as though he's been robbed, and gives Mauser the most betrayed puppydog eyes he can muster. That's what has him the most upset. Not Mauser's well being. Not that he got subjected to an arguably traumatizing experience. No, he's upset because he didn't get to jump off the tower first. It is completely ridiculous. There's an odd look from a pony wayyy down the way, as that comment really carried. As it's a kettle of fish that has unpleasant connotations, the pony whistles inconspicuously and trots the other way, full of nope.

"You let me into your timeline, pup. For the next couple years I probably have a better idea of what you're likely to do than you do. I know your secrets, and I've seen every cloudy height you've stood at the precipice of and how long you stared." Mauser stood up and paced around the rubber dog. He was giving a lot of lectures this couple of days, but there was nothing for it. "Part of the point of this little training exercise is to push you past the point where I'm more or less in your head, but I'm also wanting to help you get that head on right. You have a lot of potential, and it'd be a shame if you turned into another Black Haze. Not that I trained him, thank the Stars."

The big dog looked up as he said that, as if actually offering a prayer. He retrieved his staff and bindle, the former of which looked less comically oversized in his massive paws, then stretched to his tippy-toes with his arms out along its length. As much as those little lessons terrified Rosetta and as safe as he knew they were, he still always felt better after a lot of exercise when he pulled that stunt. Which went a lot better with pre-workout stretching. Although one of these days he'd have to bite the bullet and learn what his limits were like without it lately. Never knew when there would be an emergency. Or, well... Most never knew. 

The diamond dog grunted and pointed at Bahamut with his staff. "You still hold the impact force record over at the Gilded Rings? They don't let me in the door after I went four rounds against Boulderhoof without getting hit, so I can't check, but given that you knocked the test machine through the concrete retaining wall I'm guessing it stands."

Black Haze, every time Bahamut had to heard that name, it brought every moment rushing back. The dragon blamed himself really. Well he blamed himself for a lot of things, despite it being a team so many looked at him like a leader and who else's fault could it be for not seeing the signs sooner, not doing something, anything to stop it. He couldn't see the future, but he should have seen something. His ruminating was cut short however by Mauser's questioning. "Hm? A-ah...ahaha...yes I uhm. It actually crashed through the two buildings over before it stopped. No one was hurt thankfully." he replied awkwardly rubbing the back of his neck. "I tried to explain to the owner that hitting it at full force was a bad idea. Soooo I held back. Aaand it still wasn't quite enough. I'm just glad everyone was understanding of things." that could have gone a lot worse, and could have cost a lot more money than it already had.

By now Rosetta had mostly cooled off and floated back over to the group. "We have to get stuff custom made for him to not punch things through our basement. And even then I bet if he tried to go all out, he'd bust it." she said with a smirk as Bahamut awkwardly blushed. "I take it your next step has something to do with Bahamut's strength then?"