life after death

augercorn

11 hours after the quarantine.

Camp whip military base

Doc walked down across a street and into a large building. The inside smelled of bleach, lit with harsh lights and grey tiles. He checked a quick directory on the wall and headed up stairs into an office.

The office had a nice rug, there was a desk and a small table filled with metals and memento coins. On the desk was a candy dish filled with cigarettes. He sat down and waited. After a few minutes Rock walks in “hey doc!” he says happily giving him a bro hug! “good to see you sir! How was prance?” Rock sat down and put some papers aside. “lovely actually. Got to go the beach every weekend, best deployment I ever had!” doc nods “you know anything about the zombies?” he asks. Rock shakes his head. “it’s a …  I just got back from a meeting with shining armor. We can’t send a huge force in there to find the missing elements. Those zombies will be cured if we can fire the elements off, but what will it be for if we kill most of them.” doc leans back “I suppose that is a problem. …. Zombies man; its not scientifically possible. It just #$%^ me off, because it feels like were not doing anything about it” Rock nods “I know; right!”

“that’s why I  called you both here!” said a voice behind them.  A tall purple pony with a long red mane stepped in. “Voltaire!” they both said happy to see them.

Voltaire Alltiree is a special requisitions officer in the military. And close friend to both of them. He seems almost mystical at times. Showing up exactly when needed, with what you want.  He is a bit odd. He has a strange yet alluring voice. And hardly anyone knows anything really personal about him.

“its good to see you both, my friends.” He says sitting down. “I have a special mission for you. of course in regard to the current crisis.” The stallions both look at each other, then back to Voltaire. “I have approval for a hot team. They want reconnaissance. I want to end this! I can make you a team and give you everything you need.” Doc nods “I’m in. just tell me what to do.” Rock thinks for a bit. “this mission, you want us to go in there, and get the elements. Right?” Voltaire nods “exactly. Ill handle the logistics, and cut the red tape.” Rock slowly exhales “weapons .. we going lethal?” doc says “I here  that non lethal weapons. Aren’t effective, nothing can pacify a zombie. Only by rattling up the brain can really stop them.” Voltaire spins in his chair. “Its up to you. Ill have you briefed on effective tactics before the mission.” Rock pulls out his phone and texts his wife “all right; ill join. “ Voltaire gets up “excellent! Meet me tomorrow at the staging area in new Brunswick! Ill get you the best of the best for your squad mates!” Voltaire gets up an dashes off, Disappearing.

Rock and Doc get up and walk to Rock’s car. “I bet you want some time to talk to your family. …” rock nods “my wife hasn’t slept since she heard about … them. she terrified. My son is too, but … you know him.” Doc takes the driver seat and starts it up “ ok lets go see them. then we can drive to Brunswick.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Li stood on the roof of a building, looking at her latest target: a gang leader who did not fulfill his end of a deal with the Guild. Her target seemed to be unaware of how vulnerable he is, standing in the open with minimal security. She looked around, figuring it might be a trap, but it didn't seem like there were any snipers. 

The young qilin jumped onto the roof of the next building and looked down. The dark alley would be perfect to fight in, Li doubted they would be able to fight back. She drew her swords from their scabbard, jumping down and landing on top of one of his men, breaking his back. She quickly stabbed through his head before dealing a lethal strike to another. Li turned around and saw a punch coming from the leader, dodging and jumping onto his back to drive her blade through his skull. She pulled out and quickly made her escape before anyone sees her, running as she sheathed her blades and jumped onto a wall. Li continued running on the wall until she found a ladder to climb a building. It doesn't seem like she's being pursued by anyone, it seemed too easy compared to what she is used to. 

The qilin climbed onto the roof and took a break, looking around as she did. There really weren't any pursuers, it must be her lucky day. Either way, it was time for her to head back to report to the Guild leader.

Li would hear foot steps below her and the dppr to the roof opened

Out of the shadows Voltaire walked thru. He comes within a comfortable distance of li. He is wearing a long flowing black coat and a scarf. He stands before her perfectly calm and smiles "Yang Xin Li? I assume? my name is Voltaire Altireery special requisition offer of her magesty celestial ... your guild assigned you to help me.  I can see why now. That's was some impressive swordsmanship!" He smiles and walks next to her looking down to the steet. "Did they tell you about me yet?"

Li heard the door open and a stallion introduced himself, claiming to be sent by the Alicorn Princess. She turned to him, keeping her hoof on her blades and continued watching him. Did the Guild leader really agree to this? "Not yet, I believe I was on a mission while you discussed this with my leader." she replied, continuing to eye the stallion through her mask. Voltaire, was it? What could he possibly want? 

You know, sometimes Anu really hated traveling... what was he saying? He usually hated it. Still, it was worth it if it brought him closer to his goal. This though, this was not worth it. 

The dog was at a bar, and currently found himself on the floor after being blind-sided by an angry pony. He growled to himself as he pushed himself up a bit, giving the attacker a look that promised retribution. It didn't take long before it came either, with him spinning on his hands and sweeping the stallion's legs with his own before pushing off the ground and landing feet first on the stallion's stomach. 

"Be glad you are alive. If not for this bar I'd rather stay in, you would be." He growled out, stabbing a kopesh into the ground by the pony's ear to illustrate his point. "Do not push me further. I do not tolerate disrespect."

With that taken care of, hopefully, he sheathed the blade before going back to his seat to finish his drink. 

Ember Blossom. The girl had, of course, been known by a more infamous name. 'Death', or 'The Reaper', both of which were attributed for her signature weapon, that being a Scythe. Of course, everyone would recognise the weapon. She was the more infamous criminal in years, known for two things. Her Crime, and her attitude. Her crime was simple. Murder .She'd killed indiscriminately for years, at first it was subtle, but once the authories became aware, she'd made a game of it. Leaving bodies in public areas, making statements about where and how she'd claim a victim. Once she was cornered, she'd surrendered to the authorizes with no further bloodshed. During her trial, she offered no excuses, no shifting of the blame. She'd done it because her blood demanded it, that her emotions controlled her and that, once she had been consumed by Bloodlust, it was too late. She was given the verdict of Guilty and placed within Manehatten Jail.

So when the Jail was overrun by the dead, the girl broke out, acquired her Scythe and butchered her way out the city. Only to turn herself into the authorities the moment she was outside the city, coated in blood.

And that's how she, the infamous Serial Killers, found herself sitting in a make-shift 'Cell' within the military camp that quarantined Manehatten, with cuffs around her wrists, headphones blaring music into her ears, and a cigarette in her mouth. She could see her Scythe, it was not even 10 metres from her, and felt the call for blood echoing from her weapon itself. She took a deep breath, and coughed. She hated smoking, but since her life was already forfiet, it mattered little if she tried all the vices now. She figured she'd give it a go, and took yet another deep breath. Part of her wondered it someone would come put her down, claim she attacked them or that she had made a run. She grinned. Oh she hoped that would happen, so she could stomp their lights out herself. 

Voltaire nodded to the young girl and said, “come walk with me.” He slowly walks to the exit of the roof. He goes down the stairs and explains “while I have never approved of the guild’s … darker activities, but they have ended up helping me many times over the years.  We have been reluctant allies in secret. “ He ducks under a low door way and stopped to steal a pen his eyes shifting about “HAHA”

Then continued on the way down. “The guild suggested you, I read your profile. You have more experience than most adults.  And that little fight proved it. But I’m more interested in why … you fight. You take missions that have no benefit to you. And choose to help others. Tell me why is that?”

xxxxxxx

the bar Anu was in came back to life  and music played as Voltaire entered. He looked around like a bird, shifting his head back and fourth. He helped up Anu’s victim and called him a cab. He came back in; and sat next to Anu.  He slid the bartender some cash and pointed to Anu. “his money is no good. Its all on me.” He nodded to him and said “hello my name is Voltaire Altireery special requistions officer for her majesty.” He rolled back to the bar facing away from him. “You fight and wonder, trying to get stronger. Training your mind and body, because of your goal. I’m here to offer you, a much, much greater training than you can get on your own. …. Have you heard of the zombies?”

xxxxxxxx

The door to the makeshift cell opened. Voltaire entered and calmly said “I’m all set boys, you may leave.” The guards shrug and walk off. Voltaire walks over and inspects the scythe holding it and giving it a spin. “A strange exotic weapon … for a strange exotic mare. …” he sits down with it and says “ my name is Voltaire Altireery. But I suppose it doesn’t matter to you. Only what I have to offer.” He looks her straight in the eyes. They are Focused and intense, but an air of gentleness is within them, like that of a hound.

“You are Ember blossom, are a serial murder. Spending life in prison. But when you had a chance to escape; you fought your way thru the city. Only to turn yourself in?” he gave a slight pause. But before she could speak he felt the edge of her scythe. “Work for me; go back into the city to find the elements. Regain your sense of blood honor. I can offer you a pardon and whatever you like. But I know you will do this for yourself, and follow your blood”

She nodded and walked with him. So far Li could see he meant no harm, but it would be wise to be on guard. "They were just a small street gang, there was nothing special about that." He suddenly asked why Li fights, why she chooses too help ponies. "This is more than a job to me, it is my life. My instructor taught me to fight with my heart, because helping those who cannot fight for themselves is the honourable thing to do." she replied, gripping on to her sword. "What do you need me for? I'm confused as to why one would travel so far just to find a hitmare?"

Voltaire stops and listens. He smiles when she gives him the answer. It's an odd smile exactly the one a pony would have when they finish a puzzle. 

"That's very noble of you." He continues to walk. Treating her very much like an adult. "I would like to hire you. To do exactly that! To help me with the zombies in mainhatten. You and a small team are to go in and retrieve the elements. I will provide everything you need. I just need your will and your heart!" 

Zombies as in the undead? Li had not heard about anything like this, it must be serious if they ar desperate for help. There are apparently others too, hopefully they will know how to work with one another. "I will assist you with this noble cause, when do I start?"

They step outside onto the street. Theres a car waiting for them! It's a large suv and there was a tiny mare in the driver seat. 

Voltaire smiled "tomorow morning. In New Brunswick. Your team will meet there. And I will provide supply's and give you all a detailed briefing." He opens the door for her "the driver works for you now. She can take you to Brunswick and where else you would like to go to prepare." He leans over "the you Li your efforts will be rewarded greatly!"

"What makes you think I can't pay for myself? Just because I am not from around here doesn't mean I don't have their money." Anu responded simply, not even looking at the new pony. "How exactly would some mindless opponents be better training than trained fighters?" He added, partially looking over with a look of disinterest. 

Voltaire looks forward. And orders a cocktail playing with it. "Didn't mean to insult you. I always pay for drinks when I'm in a bar. It's the polite thing to do." 

He takes a sip from his cocktail. "The zombies swept thru mainhatten in a matter of hours. There numbers went from an estimated hundreds to thousands in ... about 5 hours. 673 police, and other puplic servants like fire mares died during the initial strike. The numbers of civilians who died grow every second. 

They say that when a zombie attacks you it's like being attacked by a dog. They don't let go! And with there numbers growing exponentially. Shining armor and celestial have declared the crisis one of the greatest in the planet's history. And most frightening. We believe discord himself has been infected." 

He rotates in the chair facing him. "Anu if you don't help me now you won't have a tribe to return too. I offer you this challenge. I selected you, because this is everything your looking for. Tactics, fighting multiple enemies, And the ability to handle stress. You will be working with the best of the best who you can learn from. Lastly you will be in my dept, I can offer you anything you want!"

voltaire hunched over slightly, keeping his eyes on him the dog. Everything he said was with complete honesty. As if this pony was incapable of lying.

She saw the door open before hearing it, after all, the music in her ears was at full volume. She wondered what was happening, right as someone touched her scythe. The fire raged within her as he spun her beloved weapon, and part of her begged to coat its blade in his blood for such a transgression. When he started speaking, she moved her hands to remove the headphones. She didn’t understand what he had to offer her, she was a murderer and she’d lost. Her crime spree was a game of cat and mouse, and upon losing that game, her life became forfeit. It was why she had turned herself in, because she knew that this society couldn’t comprehend the call of blood that she had obtained, that she felt every waking moment of her existence.

“You want me….to work for you?” the words sounded alien in her mouth, but despite that, there was the startings of a fire within her eyes. A spark that could turn into a forest fire, given the correct motivation. “You’re asking me to go back into that city, carve my way through those creatures, rescue some silly ponies, and I can get whatever I want eh?” There it was, the spark ignited. She grinned darkly as she spat the cigarette onto the ground. She stood up, and held forward her cuffed hands. When she was born, she’d somehow signed a deal with the devil for a soul of fire itself. So now, it was only fair. She could do what she was born to do now. She could kill to her bloods desire, and let herself soar from it.

Voltaire let a slight smile come to his lips, it came on like a slow twitch. then quickly vanished into mysterious yet odd demenur. He looked deep into her eyes for a moment. as if he was reading her mind. Then he blinks breaking contact; with a swish of his hoof her chain slices off. Raising his arm he holds out the scythe for her, and pulls it back "The elements are your objective. As far as I'm concerned you can do as you must to retrieve them. Ill handle any ramifications; and yes ... you will have my favor. whatever it may be! thats our deal." he held the scythe out again as the contract between them. 

A small bead of sweat dripped down from her forehead. "New Brunswick is rather far from here, would a car really take me there in time?" she asked, giving him a short bow before stepping into the car. "I don't need preparation time, all I have and need are my swords. I also have no need for a reward, just give the regular payment to the Guild." Li nodded to him. It is still quite difficult for her to believe her situation as it could easily be a trap, though the wind blows her towards the west, perhaps she is destined to help this stallion.

Voltaire nods gently. "Perfect. i will contact your handler in a moment. I would advise getting some rest. My assistant Lessy will make sure you get there in time! correct?" The small driver turns around "ROCK AND ROLLL!" she then chugs an entire can of some strange fluid. Voltaire closes the door and steps back. the car screeches and some loud music blares from the drivers head phones as she speeds off into the night! 

The car, is clearly being pushed to its limits and is not stopping for anything. it would reach new Brunswick in time!

Freedom! No longer in stupid cuffs, she stretched out with her limbs. Oh how she'd missed such a simply freedom! His offer was simply: Save the Elements at any cost. Her dark grin began to consume her face, oh this would be so much fun. She could slaughter indiscriminately and, this time, she was in the right side of the law! She grabbed her Scythe back with no hesitation, and walked out of her cell. She closed her eyes, feeling the fire within her soul ignite. This weapon called to her, and now, with it back, she was unleashed. She swung the weapon around a few times in her hands, getting a feel for it back within her bones. After many practice swings, satisfied with her freedom, she glanced backwards at the one who was responsible for her freedom

"So i can safely assume you've got a team together, no way you'd trust me to go it alone" She said as she rested her weapon on her shoulders "So lets get going, and i've got a whole list of things i want by the time i get where i'm going..."

Li's eye's widened in horror as she quickly fastened her seat belt. If there was anything she was afraid of, this would probably be it, a car speeding off like a rocket on the road. Hopefully she'll be alright by the time she arrives in New Brunswick, same for her teammates.

Anu looked at Voltaire, his gaze remaining steady with the pony's as they sat in silence after the words. After a few moments, he grunted and turned back to his drink, taking a sip as he contemplated this explanation. Well, given those reasons, he supposed it would be in his best interest to agree to this job. The dog hummed slightly before looking back to Voltaire and giving a simple nod.

"Very well, I shall accept your task. Be prepared to honor your side of the deal, I shall not forget what is owed me." Anu said, finishing off his drink and setting the bottle down.

Voltaire walks with Ember "please send me a written list and i will provide it for you." they step out of the tent. and into a domed area. theres lots of military around. diamond dogs are digging tunnels and Pegasus fly about,  like a crowded mall. "your not far from the new Brunswick staging area. meet me there around 6:30; there you will meet your team and be briefed. needless to say don't hurt any non infected ponies till then." he nods and walks into the crowd disappearing.

xxxxxxx

Voltaire nods to Anu "my word is unbreakable. you shall earn what you are looking for in Mainhatten. As stated i will provide whatever you ask afterwards. "now let me help bring you there!" he rests his hoof on Anu's and he teleports them both to a hotel room in new Brunswick. "this room is yours for the night. you may do was you wish. but the mission begins at 6:30 in the staging area just outside the barrier. and with that I leave you some privacy." he steps out with a nod of his head closing the door for him.

xxxxxxxxx

Doc and Rock drove along all night to reach new brunswick. traffic was awful.  with the thousands being evacuated it created a flood of people all over. and the roads just weren't big enough. 

but as they got closer there was a pink glow. like a giant neon sign. as they got closer they saw it was none other than Shining Armor's shield. he is currently using the same shield type spell he used during the changing invasion. however its much larger and goes deep into the earth blocking the many, many tunnels manhattan has. theres a large amount of activity around it, visible from across the state! the two stallions park as close as they can. having not much time until there meeting. Rock carries a gigantic case. "dude whats in there?" says the green doctor. Rock replied with a wide grin and they walked fourth.

the area just outside the shield ..... was utterly depressing. thousands are living in shanty, using garbage fires for warmth. ponies are hungry, sick and scared. as they walk a mare can be heard crying in the distance. it was a punch in the gut to both men. the grim reality of what they were literally walking into.

x

Li would soon see the glow of the shield as her speeding vehicle approached. and her driver screamed "WHOOO NEW RECORD EASTBOUND AND DOWN!" 

Li was a minute away from throwing up when something caught her eye. A light in the distance that spells nothing but trouble. "Umm, Cousin Lessy, could you please take me to the light ahead?"

The Serial Killer did indeed hand Voltair a list, and it wouldn't be fully of entirely normal requests. There was the typical requests for clothes, food drink. Alongside a series of slightly unusual requests, such as having a concert stage and a band flown into the set up camp for them to perform. To the seemingly random quest for information on a Military Soldier. She watched as Voltair left, and within her, a single word bloomed. 

'Freedom'. She was free. There was a killing ahead, but apart from that, she was free. She could do anything, kill whoever she wanted. With her Scythe resting on her shoulders, she began to walk through the camp and enjoyed the attention she got. They all knew who she was, and yet, couldn't do a thing about it. She looked up and spotted the dome, knowing that was where she needed to be. She let out a deep breath, started whistling as she flared out her wings and began a lazy cruise to her destination. After all, 6:30 was when the mission started, and she'd requested the band arrive within the hour. She had much to do, if she wanted to abuse the freedom she'd been granted. 

It didn't take her long to get there, and she could sense the fear the guards had towards her. And rightly so, she could dismember any one of them at simply wish. She strode forwards without purpose. Part of her wanted someone to recognise her, to call her out for being herself. That would be entertaining. 

"But you were locked away for nearly a year, am i even remembered anymore?" she wondered outloud as she continued her slow walk. 

After the teleport, Anu stood there glaring at Voltaire. It was clear he hadn't appreciated the sudden magic being used on him, especially without permission. The glare followed the pony all the way out the door, though once it was closed he sighed and looked around the room. There wasn't really anything in here of note, so he sat down and meditated a bit before sleeping until it was time to go to the meeting area. 

Once there, he stood to the side, waiting for the others to show up. 

after going thru the shanties Dock, Rock, Li and Anu entered the staging area. Ember was already there. the staging area was like a giant gymnasium. tired cops and solvers sat down resting, smoking, drinking and eating; recovering retrieving citizens who reached the edge of the barrier. there were plenty of civilians being examined and processed.  Oddly enough there was a stage with a band playing. Doc looked around and sitting on a crate with several cargo containers behind him was Voltaire! the two stallions approached him.

Voltaire stood up. being naturally tall he waved and everyone would be able to see him summoning them! the two stallions approached and Voltaire said "gentlemen. I would like you to meet your team!" 

Archived