Lost by one, found by another (Private, Dusty)

Blueblood

Calder silently sided with Halvard about liking slaves that can keep going, holding on to their self and willpower even in the crushingly depressing life that one had in slavery. It reminded him of himself in some ways, hated, looked down on and easily forgotten. Yet here was, trying ever more then ever to get somewhere and do something. He never put much of a thought in the matters but the few passing statements he has shared with Halvard were sticking in his mind. It was oddly ironic how a bull born to the lord of his clan can understand the struggles of slaves more than the struggles of his fellow bull. With a flick of an ear he pushed his thoughts away for now, this was not the time for them to be reflected on.

“So monsters on land but not the sea. Can’t say are clan has ever faced the monsters on land, but at sea… Well that is how i became a bull. In the test of Braking one attacked the fleet and with some skill… And maybe with a tiny amount of luck and the gods blessings, I slayed the beast, pulled it’s head down on the mast of a ship. Ruined the vessel but slayed it.” He taps the fish hooks in his ear. “This marks me out as a monster slayer. A heavy honer and for most, one that makes them a star. That was short lived for me, dad was far to prideful to let the runt be a star so he worked his short tail to the bone pushing me back down. Seems his plans works half way, no longer part of the clan yet I am far from beaten.” He says grinning with pride.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Is that how the seaborne clans do their Will Test?"  Halvard asked with curious interest.  "Landborne ones generally either require a quest to the Southern Wilds to fetch the clan's emblematic flower through all the undead and monsters present, or else return with something immensely valuable from the outside world.  My clan also accepts the cash equivalent, hence our propensity to trade.  In any case, I am impressed.  It is a pity your father was not."

He sighed, finishing his tea and gathering up the breakfast dishes.  "Well, the day is beginning already.  There's two major shopping times for the locals; morning and evening market.  We'll be closed for the first, while I give you the run-down on the inventory."  He showed Calder to where the double-entry books were kept; recording incoming and outgoing inventory.  While it was straightforward enough, Halvard would repeatedly emphasize the need to be meticulous.  "Wastage is as bad as being stolen from.  Oh, those?"  He then looked towards a series of ledgers that he'd left on the shelf, a bait to curiosity for sure.  "Those are the loan and interest ledgers.  We won't talk about those for now; none of the locals have any outstanding debts with us."

The introduction to the inventory practice doubled as Halvard's own upkeep for the morning, which took longer than usual.  By the time they finished, morning market was in full swing.  "A bit too late to open stall, but I think I might go out to buy some commodities to take home next boat.  Why don't you come with me?  It should give you a good idea as to how the locals haggle."

“It can very. Up to where they like to stay and where they make home.” He explains, wondering how much detail to give, but he felt that his clan's test was not well known and safe to talk about in detail. Not like they were a household name. “Mine was called the Braking, we are tied to the front of ships and taken headlong into a raging storm, the elders judge how long you need to stay tied to it but we often judge it by the rising sun, you get tied to it at sun up, with it rises again you are taken off. But to be safe some elders do use clocks we got to keep track of time.” He gets up as they talk, helping gather up the dishes. “To be honest I am glad a sea monster showed up, cut my test in half.” He felt it was best to leave out all the parts of him screaming in fear, yelling that he did not want to die and adding more water to the sea from fear… And most of all the fact he did not kill it. That just does not sound nearly as cool as the truth of just making it run away by hitting it's eye a few times.

Calder was all ears for the books, if somewhat nervous he will screw it up as he lacked… any and all schooling outside of what he did for himself. But he followed along best he can as all of this was very important and he knew it well. Even if it was boring, dull and tedious work but this can be the bedrock for going somewhere in life. “Loan and interest?” He asked arching an eyebrow. “Like… that’s giving someone cash was it? Well, does not matter for now.” He moved along with Halvard to the next subject of going with him to the market. “A market? Can’t be to hard, did my share of that on the Stottinsberg Islands and I do feel like i was gifted with a silver tongue. At least when speaking something I am skilled with, will need to spend more time speaking to natives to help pick up on the inter-works of things to make better story's" He flicked his short tail happily, this was what he was good at after all, at lest he liked to think he was good at it. 

Halvard snorted at the description of the 'Braking.'  "Sounds more like a test designed to boost everyone else's ration share.  Survival in a situation like that is more up to luck than skill.  Not to denigrate your own success, of course, but... well, I'd never consider putting a son of mine through that."  Wasteful, it was all just so... wasteful.  Bleah, best not to focus on that for now.  Productive work beckoned.  Or at least, trade.  The bull felt that he hardly needed to explain the principle of 'buy low, sell high' to Calder, particularly as the Young caribou had already some experience with markets.

"Well, alright then!  Why don't you try out your skills on that spice merchant."  Halvard nodded towards a stall owner, a rather chubby-looking longma who had fixed a curious gaze upon them.  "I don't want to waste time on tips you already know.  Thirty kash is the upper limit I'll allow you on this; how much can you get with it?"

“Oh it was never made to be fair, unless you can cheat your way to an easy win in other ways.” He says with a dead pan matter of fact tone. “Works most the time unless they fear your father more than you. Uh well, work time.” He follows Halvard outside and out to the markets. It was rather fun getting to see one in a big city like this and Calder had to look at everything they passed, only having three legs hardly slowed the bull down as his excitement got the best of him. Colors, ponies, things from all around. It was overwhelming yet fun.

When Halvard pointed out the spice merchant he hardly heard him at first as he remembered he was being trained, this was not playtime. “Thirty kash? Got it, Thirty! Well.. First thing first I say we do a walk around, see if there are other merchants selling the same goods as him. We can compare piercing and use that at starting price. Force him down some if he rolling it the price up. Than see if we can’t get him to drop it more too keep us buying? If there are others we can easily just walk over to them and offer it.” He offered as he worked out a basic plan in his head, it was hardly a work of art but saying you will walk out, than doing it can leave a real mark for later as the merchant will remember you do not joke around.

Of course a small part of him had another plan. Why buy it? Learn where the fat trash got it from, go there and take it for yourself! Than you get the spices AND keep the kash! Win-win right? And that longma can be wor- ‘no, not doing that… We are on the other side of the fence now.’ He thinks too himself, clearing away that plan. He can’t think like that, he has to change and adapt… All be he will miss never getting too buy that cute zebra. Oh well, get rich and get servants! Same bloody thing just you got too pay them and not buy em or something.

"Reconnaisance, a very good opening move."  Halvard nodded his approval.  "Just make sure you don't overstay the closing of morning market."  That was no small injunction, as the spice merchants had two different clusters at different quadrants of the market district.  Prices tended to vary, with saffron running at one ounce to thirty kash, cinnamon at two-and-a-half ounces for same, nutmeg and cloves each at four for the same, and ginger at ten ounces, if one counted the lowest for each.

With some pieces stalked out he made his way back to the first merchant, ginger was the cheapest he saw but that can mean it's the most worthless. nutmeg and cloves was next up but were a dramatic decrease in the amount of spice he can buy… The next part of his plan needs to be put into place, first see what the fat longma felt his trash was worth. So on returning he studied the prices to see how much he up-marked them compared to the lowest prices he saw.

As he did this he studied the spices, he was not an expert at all but he can act like he had the eye to spot if the spices have been ‘watered down’ to make it go farther and generate more profit. “What do you think Halvard? You have seen more spices like this than I have. Do you think it’s pure or did this fat stock water it down to rip off others? I do not have the eye or training yet too tell.” He asked looking over at the longma with a smile. With the rest of that done, he was ready to start this dance. “[Hello, good day. Where do your goods come from? Or are they a guarded family secret?]” He asked to just break the ice and start the key task of building up bounds. Be it the buyer or seller, having some common grounds to chat over helped build bounds to allow one to work out better deals and make the other party feel more relaxed and feel familiar around you. If it works well one can push it along to fake friendships to work even better deals down the road.

Havlard shook his head.  "No, the dealer's honest.  Most of them are, in fact; it's not easy to get away with cheating the customer base here.  A merchant's reputation for square dealing is equivalent to a warrior's arms and armament; if he loses it, he is done for.  I have actually seen a merchant try to cut his ginger with radishes, and... let's just say, he used to be the one sitting in that very stall in front of you."  Cheating, in other words, was not a long-term winning strategy.  That was a particularly important lesson he wished young Calder to learn.

"Of course, intimations are all part of the game; make him defend his wares and get him off-balance.  Just be tactical about it."  Halvard winked.  Time for the young lad to sink or swim...

The merchant himself was no novice.  He'd seen Calder coming, and could tell that he was new to market day.  How new was unknown as yet, but he at least had to be a softer bargainer than Halvard!  "Hm, well, I can hardly reveal my exact sources, but I will say that each is sourced from the region which gives the highest possible quality!  My saffron is grown from the high mountain fields only recently recovered from the Taotie, while the cinnamon is from the great river deltas of the south.  The ginger, I must say, is grown around the fine gardens of this very city!  I never give anything less than the finest for my customers, hoho!"  The longma responded with geniality equal to Calder's own, almost in every way.  He knew the game, right enough, and suspected he was in for a long haul.  Best start off on a polite foot...

Calder mauled over the story of a merchant being kicked out for watering down his goods. Understandable he’s seen a bull get far worse for doing the same, but it was more a story of fools playing the game to risky without prepping it first. To play with fire you must understand it… and more so have some large sacks of coins to bribe others to shut up. Rigging the game is easy when the game master looks the other way as you roll the dice. But he was far away from having the power and coin to even dream of such risky moves. For now he must play this game… honestly… as shocking as the word was to use, it almost tasted bitter to just think of using it and meaning it.

His next problem was far worse, he knew nothing of this land and more so, jack all about spices. He just had too… believe in trust and honor. It almost made a shiver roll down his spine, he felt out of his element and he beat himself mentally for forgotten how out of water he was here, so eager to show off his skill for Havlard he was playing pieces ahead of where he was ready… shameful. Of course he did not show this internal debate for one moment as he smiled and nodded his head at the merchant.

“[Well of course, the natives here must have a fine nose for such spices and can spot something less the perfect from halfway across the city. But foreign markets hardly know better and they will roll their eyes at such prices. You must know there are others that sell them at half the cost you do, but at half the quality I am most assured. But if i’m to buy your spices and sell them to less understand buyers I’d be laughed out from my stall.]” He says chuckling with a warm and friendly smile. “[But I do not wish to sell lackluster goods. My good friend Halvard insisted I buy from you, he is horrifically stubborn and honestly, from the look you gave us i can tell you are all too aware of this. I do think his skull is made out of the bones of a dragon. So maybe we make a deal for long term profits, if I can prove the quality of your goods to foreign markets I can easily afford to increase the costs and in turn, offer you more enriching profits for you. You win, I win, four years from now we are both making double what we’d make buying and selling from one another today.]” He smirks. “[You look like a very wise longma and I bet you can understand long term profits are far more lucrative than short term single gains.]” He wonders how the fish will bite, this was hardly his final move and was more a testing of waters… see if it gets nibbles before trying more mixed baits.

In actuality, it hadn't been so much that the absent merchant had been run out of town, that he simply went out of business because no one would buy from him anymore.  Calder's rougher upbringing had naturally given him a different implication to Halvard's words; and while the blue-dyed bull did not have a skull of solid bone, some things occasionally failed to get through.

Not that he knew of such as he observed his protege and the merchant at work.  The fat longma was no novice at haggling, and he chuckled at Calder's proposal.  "If they sell at half the price, it means less than half the spice!  Do you know that some of them will scrape the dust from their mantles, and claim that it is ground peppercorn?  No, my friend, I sell my spice in its natural form, that which nature provided, so you may see the quality for yourself."  It was true; the ginger was sold as a whole root, the cinnamon in sticks, the cloves as actual cloves, and so on.  "Inspect, and smell especially, and you will see the genuine quality of each!  Would that one could the same for foreign traders."  He was still smiling, but his eyes were hard as flint.  "I know naught of your quality, and if you shall return with anything of value.  I have, after all, never seen you before.  You must prove your mettle as a merchant trader before I cut any preferable deal.  Long term profits are indeed good value, but only if I can be sure of the delivery of the goods.  If you can turn a profit at my regular price, well!  Return after that, and we shall discuss plans of future wealth."

“[A smart move and one I fully understand.]” Calder says as he moves his footing, it was rather bothersome only having one leg to hold up one's rear end. “[But I can hope having my friend in blue backing me will give some credibility to my standards, despite what some may say we Bulls have a long and strong code of honor. Back in my home town a bull had his horns removed for just watering down some mead he was selling. So I’d put my antlers on the line for my honor]” He starts laughing and shakes his head. “[I am joking of course, what can you even use mine for? I got small antlers, show them around and they will think you took them from a calf.]”

He stops to think about where to take this, he had nothing to begin with and he can’t threaten the fat long either. “[How about this, 12 ounces of ginger for thirty kash. That is hardly unfair as I can grab ginger much cheaper elsewhere, I only bother making such deals for my friend's sake and yours, I have to make something out of this as well or I may as well just toss my kash at some dancers.]” He says holding his grin, not one flicker of doubt or concern about what he was doing. He wanted this Long to feel like he was very confident in what he was saying and doing. He had to stay strong here and be the one making the deals and laying them out, not the fat flanked Long… Did this city have bars with dancers? He can go for some of that after the past few weeks had! Something to look for after the day is done. 

The Longma raised an eyebrow.  "The Blue One's credit is indeed good in this city.  Though, I wouldn't mind if you put your antlers up for surety; the physicians will buy anything for their apothecaries."  The merchant laughed, having joined in the joke, before returning to business.  "Hah, twelve?  Not even your friend's credit will move me to there; my ginger is of the highest quality, and were I to charge such a low sum for it, I would irreparably devalue my goods and reputation!  Eleven ounces, and that is the final offer!"

“[They’d use are horns for what? I swear if it’s something about enhancing stamina with some winking and nudging I will die laughing.]” Calder says chuckling as he looks around and takes a few deep breaths. “[But just eleven? Are telling me two ounces will utterly destroy you? MY word, just how shallow is your goods in value and reputation that two ounces can make or break you?]” He arched his eyebrows, looking rather confused. “[And here my friend was telling me you were the biggest and most powerful merchant in this city. If two ounces will sink this ship I worry about doing buses with something so sinkable. One bad storm and down she will go with me on it it. That is hardly something I’d put my cash on.]”

He looks over to Harvard and switched back to their native tongue to speak. “Well if he can’t handle something as small as just two ounces I hardly think he’s worth my time.” He grins some, taking care to not let the Long see his face as he speaks. He did not know if the Long can understand them so he just had to keep playing his part even when speaking to Harvard. “Come on, let's go.” He turns and aims his hoof at another spice seller. “Why not him, he was cheaper than this Fat tail and I bet he will not sink ship over two small ounces!”  If the bait worked, the Long will bump it up one more ounce or more!

The longma's face split into a grin, and he did indeed wink.  "Well, you know, rich long sun and their rumors.  Who am I, as a humble merchant, to contradict what notions the great and the good may have about my merchandise?"  Apparently, though, his humility did not extend to taking slights against his sinkability, as Calder's talk of the latter made his face transform from a smile to a persimmon-sucking grimace.  He seemed to swell, especially as the young bull turned back to Halvard and seemed to be rejecting him, before letting go in a frustrated outburst.  "Eleven-and-a-half!  And that's my final offer!"

Halvard, who had been listening throughout this conversation impassively, finally shook his head at this, replying back in his native tongue.  "I think that's enough.  You will be able to get a better price elsewhere; let's go."  Rather than immediately setting Calder up with another merchant, however, the blue bull took some time to debrief him.  "I chose that particular merchant because I don't have any credit with him to risk; he's newer to this sector than others I've traded with.  His notions about me wouldn't affect his dealings with you as much, either.  Overall, your verbal style and delivery was good, but your numbers game could use some work.  Remember, just as their asking price isn't necessarily the final one, so should your initial offer not be your final one.  The best technique I've found is to start low, say for example, 20 ounces for thirty kash, and you can end up with a final bargain of around 15 ounces for that amount.  You're allowed to make concessions too; it's actually a good tactic."

Even then, however, he was in no hurry to get back to business, preferring to walk the markets and talk for now.  "So... dancers, eh?  Never did ask what you liked to do for fun.  After all, we're not just making money to keep it lying around."

Calder followed the debrief and took mental notes. It was good and solid advice and he took care to not forget along with keeping his eyes open for some books on spices and other local goods. Knowing more than the one you buy from is a powerful tool and at the worst means you both know the same thing. But than Halvard asked about fun, Cal almost did a double take as he did not think Halvard and fun were to things to see side by side… But a pleasant thing to learn it was. “Ah yes, I have a soft spot for them. Most of all more exotic ones… Ever see Zebras do it?” He rollers his shoulders and grins happily. “Best waste of cash I ever did that day… It almost makes me sad I can’t go buy one now.”

He takes the time as they walk too look around as shops they pass. “And shopping, I know that's hardly something most may call fun but there is something exciting about buying something for myself and now that I don’t have to worry about my old bull beating my face in so hard I looked like a painting made using nothing but red pant I can think of a few fine dress-dressers to buy! You know, too keep things in. But do you know some good pubs around here? I want to make some ponys think they have a hope of out drinking me do to my size than out drink five in a row.” He groaned under his breath, dressers, smooth. But the sound of drinking and enjoying some fun was most welcome as he felt earlier, he was due for some drinks and party. He may not be a the most standard of bou in how he acted but when it came to drinks and parties he loved them just as much. What’s a bou without some strong mead and good times? A very sad one!

"I can't say that I've seen that particular sight, no.  I frequent the gambling dens more than the dance halls, myself.  Games of skill and chance are prized among my clan, and I would often occupy myself as much or more with betting at the arenas than dueling myself."  It probably shouldn't have come as much of a surprise that the monetarily-minded Halvard indulged in gambling, and it fortunate for Calder that places that catered to both their tastes were often found in the same quarter of the city.  "There are dancers here, though, that should probe equally exotic.  Perhaps after evening market... provided you don't offer to buy or rent them."  He chuckled, but there was a bit of a firm reminder from him not to fall into old habits.

A little more of blue bull's humor was coming to the forefront, especially after Calder's little verbal slip-up about... dressers.  He raised an eyebrow and wry smile at his young charge.  "Indeed, I imagine furniture would be considered a strange and unnecessary luxury amongst a sea-bound clan.  And I do know a few decent brewers around here, but good pubs... well, half of that is the clientele.  You can get something like a rowdy caribou crowd about the docks, but it's hardly the same.  Yet, anyway, my own clan is proving a good influence."

“Gambling? You?” Calder says arching an eyebrow as he spoke. “Did not think you’d play something risky as that. Even I shy away from it, but maybe that has to do with me not wishing to die at the hooves of a large upset bull that thinked I cheated him. But the risk to win or loss is to much in my books, maybe if I had plenty to spend someday and not worry so much.” He added as he shrugged his shoulders. “And don't worry, i’m not like that. Not going to say something that stupid to one of em like they are a slave.” He says rolling his eyes.

“And yes, living on ships puts a strain on what you can keep. Not much space to work with… And maybe we can show them how to party like a caribou someday? Toss a big caribou party? Or is that too much fun for you Halvard?” He asked grinning with a soft chuckle. "I joke of corse, but all of this sounds vary nice and I'd love to do that to end the day off."

"Well, it's also arguable whether you can even call it gambling when I'm the one playing."  With that, Halvard flashed a grin that would make Calder very certain that he did not wish to be at the table when coins were on the line.  "Of course, loose tongues among the players may make even a loss into a sound investment for the information dropped.  Especially if you are skilled at the local game of majjong.  The little old ladies here are like as unto small gods, as far as the locals' concern for their elders go, and the stories you hear about their grandchildren are invaluable, particularly if they happen to be merchants.  Also doesn't hurt to be playing in a land where one stands so much taller than the bookies."  He laughed at that, turning down a street from which appetizing smells wafted.  Here was the row of those proffering food from their carts.

"Let's save the party for your graduation ceremony, shall we?  Something to work up to.  In the mean time, lunch."  And he trotted over to a little cart selling golden-brown buns of dough, stuffed with a savory bamboo-mushroom curry.  "We can eat these on the way back; I have to open up our own storefront for the second market."

Calder joined in the laughing as he smiled. “Well, remind me too never try playing a game against you with some coin on the line! Bet you’d leave me more poor than I am now somehow… And too never upset an old mare around here if they look up to them as such.” He shakes his head and sniffs the air, the food out here smelled rather nice! “A graduation ceremony? Well you best keep that word.” He hoped the bull did, the very idea of a party in his honor was… wonderful. A part of him deeply wanted to just be recognized and not have someone try to stop it. To be loved, wanted and bloody CARED for. Was that too much too ask for? Some days it seemed like it.

With a snort he dismissed his feelings, they were unwanted and unnecessary. Hope leads to disappoint, Halvard like others is a tool and nothing more. No one cares, no one loves. It’s all lies to rig the game in one's favor and Halvard was probably doing the same, testing him as much as he tested Halvard for usefulness and when that usefulness ended Halvard will abandon him just like what he'd do with Halvard the moment the bull was useless. That was how life worked, that was a fact. “What? Ya, ok.” Calder muttered back as he eyed up the brown buns of dough. “So much yummy food is out here… I swear I’d going to be more fat than that long was in no time.”

As he hoofed over the bun, Halvard noticed the snort.  He felt he recognized it; half anger, half despair.  A lot of prospective recruits into Clan Breen had much the same attitude, as the Clan would often seek out the exiled; those Caribou who had failed their Will Test and were cast out.  The Clan's philosophy of wasting nothing applied to caribou as well as to treasure, and it was to this that Halvard would attribute their success.  Calder would see that in time; if he could not or would not open his heart to affection, he could at least take the Blue Coat to his and their mutual benefit.

Taking a big bite out of his lunch, he replied, "Well, one has to counteract that with work, unfortunately.  Speaking of which, here we are!"  Just as they stepped back through the door, Halvard finished his bun, taking a swig from a water skin by his side, before bustling along in the duties of opening shop.  He paused long enough to show how the shop window was opened onto the street, so as to provide a counter and shade for the customer.  He brought out some particularly fine amber pieces to display, nodding at his work.  "We don't offer everything for sale all at once; I've made a reputation as a luxury dealer in amber, not wholesale."

Calder followed along as he ate the bun. He watched what Halvard did carefully as the shop was opened, it seems easy but he did not want to overlook something. Tiring as it was try to hammer everything in to his head this was all important. “A luxury dealer? No wonder you look so well off.” He says nodding his head as he looked at some of the stones on display. “Funny how something like this can sell for so much. Not that they are bad or look bad, but when you get down and dirty… they are just colorful rocks. All gems are if you really look at it that way… We pay insane amounts of coin for rocks. It’s funny at least too me.” He looked over to Halvard and shrugged his shoulders. “Ok, so it’s not funny funny, but in passing it has been funny to me how some things are worth more than others only do to it being rare or looking nice but with no regard to how useful it may be.”

Halvard shrugged.  "Luxury can be an enigma, sometimes.  Blood, as well as coin, is spent for colored clay.  But either in trades or in raids, it is not the gems themselves that are desired; but the evidence of success that they provide the owner.  If a thing is difficult to achieve, or attain, then to have achieved or attained is evidence that one is competent to a point of excellence.  As it turns out, if people think you are successful, they are likely to facilitate further success by following and supporting your ventures.  It's the same in commerce as in war, as I'm sure you've noticed.  The war-chiefs would care little for that which they could not eat, or carouse with, save that they could not keep their band together without showing off their success.  Ah, but we'll have to hold off for now, here comes the first customer."

Calder nods. “Well of course, we want things we can not have and most of all things others don’t have. So rare things are worth more in that way. But sometimes i like too wunder about things, like why we do what we do.” He says with a flick of an ear as he takes back seat for Halvard. “How about you take lead this time, your shop after all.” He offered to the older bull with a gesture of his head.

The mare that approached was a Longma, her visible fur was like a tiger's pelt as her jade green eyes glared from under a facemask of the best her fur color aligned with as the segmented strips of steel that made up her armour clanked and rustled as she stopped at the window. A samurai by first look but she bore no markings outside the well known look of such armour and the blade that rested on her side or more so blades as one can count six such weapons on her. “[You can understand me I hope? Can not say I am very fluent in barbarian screaming.]” She says in a tone dripping in venom. “[My father is interested in getting some of this amber and you are the one to go to I am told… As I want the best for him.]” She added to explain why was even talking to them.

Calder glanced over to Halvard with a look betraying how thankful he was the older bull dealing with this mare and not him. She seems like a very pleasant mare too talk with. “Well she’s a mug full of joy.” he muttered under his breath.

Halvard shot Calder a warning glance at his betraying look.  Not that he could especially blame the young bull; the hardest lesson a merchant ever had to learn was 'The Customer is always right.'  Not right in every way, of course, but right enough that even the rudest of them had to be met with politeness.  Thus, the blue bull met the envenomed words with honeyed ones of his own.  "[If you wish for lessons, I offer them as well at a discounted rate.  It is a tongue more suited for a battlefield warrior than a merchant trader, I will admit, but I see you yourself would well acquit yourself in that domain.]"  Always best to open with good humor and compliments; it reinforced the happy and threw the unhappy off their game.

"What is your father interested in, particularly?  Does he wish for ornamentation to be worn..."  Here Halvard brought out to display a polished stone of amber, catching eternally the last dim color of the sun before it dipped below the horizon, set in finely wrought silver.  "Or would he prefer a decoration for his home?"  He brought out this time a finely carved figurine of amber, showing the two founders of Long Guo, caught in the moment of a dance.  "This is a smaller version of the one the Empress commissioned from us; it is on display in the Palace."

A bit of an advertiser's fib, there.  The Empress had not commissioned the statue, it was a free gift.  Nonetheless, having the Empress be accepting of his wares had proved a most worthy investment, as most of those in Huangjing retained their ancestral reverence for the Dragon Throne.  If amber was seen fit to adorn its fittings, well!  Who would not want some of their own?

Calder did his best to not look bothered by the mare, but he knew some were bound to be like this. He’s seen plenty of friendly faces so far but it’s fact that sooner or later he will meet one face to face and Halvard will not be the one talking… So he tries to his best learn from Halvard in how to handle it.

The tiger like mare let out snort that sounded like a mix of disgust and colt before forced to clean their room. “[If I ever feel so inclined as to go insane and become a barbarian I will remember that offer. Than we can join in songs of glory as we stand on the flaming remains of a farm.]” She says muttering more to herself than to Halvard as she eyes up his goods. “[I wish he was more clear on what he wanted. He says I will know what he’d want and to learn something along the way. Maybe the figurine will please him, he was never one to flaunt his wealth openly. What is the best decoration you have to offer?]” She asked trying to peek inside of the shop.

Calder wanted to say something smart to her on learning how to keep rude comments to herself but knew that will hardly help the matter so he refamerd from speaking up… It was hard. But watching Halvard handel it was helpful. “Want me to go get something or?” He offered, wanting to do something helpful with this customer and not just stand there like a fool.

Archived