A Chance Encounter [Open Invitation]

PecanPraline

Sun and Trax shared an exchanging glance, like they were communicating to each other. Sun withdrew from Gilded apologetically, "My apologies, but my Brother and I have buisness that needs tending to, I'm sure a wealthy man like you would understand." She used her magic to toss a few bits onto the table and slid the other eay around the booth to get out behind her brother. Trax stood up, fighting through the effects of the cider, he was now fully suspicious of these two. He sensed it for a moment when they first arrived, and upon further inspection, he realized something was off about them. The Butlers voice for one sounded forced, like he was trying to speak a certain way, differently from his normal voice. He had knocked the mug off purposefully, to test the butlers reflexes, the movement could give him a better idea of who he really was. The butler actually had him believed until he spoke. "Indeed we thank you for you're hospitality and invitation, but we really must be going." Trax told them apologetically as he and his Sister started towards the exit in a seemingly rushed and late fashion.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"What?! But I thought we were just becoming friends! I was hoping to invite you back to my mansion for some tea later too..." Gilded called after them in a perfect pouty fashion. He hopped down and tried to keep up with them, continuing with spoiled "I always get what I want" whine as he followed them from a short distance. Eagle Heart put the mug on the table, then hurried after to assume his butler position just behind Gilded Helm. He could sense the shift in tension, and he was ready to make a break for the pair the second they were outside.

Trax opened the door for Sun, letting her out first, still keeping a respectable composure. As he stepped out, Trax shared a exchange of looks with the Bouncer, the large stallion guarding the door. The Bouncer recognized Trax immediately, and took a step back, a reaction to this first time he had gotten in this particular Stallions way. Trax smirked and flipped a few bits to the Bouncer, gesturing with his head back to the two stallions, "Dlya vashikh problem otvlekite ikh." He spoke fluently in a serious tone. The Bouncer dipped his head obediently, "Dah." Suddenly the Bouncer blocked the doorway with a stern grimace, his posture a clear warning. Trax and Sun broke into a run instantly, in the world of Thieves, knowing muliple languages is a key skill. Russian is a common foreign language, Trax had taken a wild guess in figuring the big Bouncer was probably Russian, he lucked out on that one.

"Oh well," Gilded sighed, his voice still sounding regal. He took a few steps back from the door, seeming to stop his pursuit... Then charged full-tilt at the Bouncer. Despite his fluffy, well-groomed appearance, Gilded was anything but soft. Beneath his coat was one of the strongest ponies in the guard, and at full force he could knock back anypony. He crashed into the Bouncer, his top hat flying back as both of them stumbled away from the door. It wasn't enough to completely clear it, but Eagle only needed the small opening his partner had provided. He freed his wings and squeezed through the gap, then took off soaring after the siblings, his speed in the air much more than that of most ponies, especially those on hoof. He scanned the crowds below him, trying to find any sign of them, and kept an ear out for them in the sky around him.

Suddenly a hard force hit Eagle from above, "Persistence is a good trait, I'll give you that." Trax's voice came from behind before the two crashing into some barrels atop a building. Trax held down Eagle with one hoof behind his back and trapping his wings, hoofsteps approached from the side followed by a sweet and underlining tone. "The act was good, would've fooled the average Thief, but unfortunately my brother and I are not 'average'." Sun leaned down close to Eagles face, and continued to whisper into his ear, "So tell me Handsome, who are you? And don't say butler, that ship has already sunk."

His ribs hurt, and he coughed to try and get some more air into his lungs, not bothering to struggle. He tilted his head up as much as he could to look at her, and gave her a grin.

"Why, I'm hurt miss. Both literally and figuratively. Are you saying you don't recognize this beautiful face without the helmet and a saddlebag full of jewels between us?" Banter. By the Princesses, he loved banter. Not enough oppurtunity to do it on the job. He shifted slightly, pulling the coattails of the butler's uniform off of his flank to show the shield over the eagle that was his cutie mark. "Eagle Heart, at your service. And I will admit, I'm impressed by how quiet you were in the sky. I was even listening for you and you ambushed me."

He chuckled, although it turned into another cough. Ugh. He had probably broken a rib.

Sun giggled sarcastically before straightening up and glaring daggers at Trax, who in turn, swallowed fearfully. "Explains the missing token, and why you punched Boris in the face, you dult." Sun hissed angrily. Trax winced flattening his ears down, "In my defense, you did tell me to put it there." He argued defensively. Sun rolled her eyes, "24 places to put a blade on your armor, and not a single pocket for a small token, who does that?" Trax scoffed, and kept at it trying to beat around the bush, before he eventually gave up, "I got nothing." Sun smiled before leaning back down to Eagle, "Alrighty Handsome, here's how it's gonna go; We're gonna tie you up, and then we're gonna leave this city, thanks to my brother we've out stayed our welcome." Minutes later, Eagle was bound by some luckily placed rope from nearby, but was also tended to by Sun and Trax for his broken rib, which Trax had confirmed as broken. What came as a surprise, was that part where Trax and Sun brought him to the closest hospital, checked him in, and then left. The nurse tending to Eagle looked at him questioningly, "I want believe you, but that stallion was pretty nice to bring you here, and he was pretty hot too."

Eagle Heart was rather annoyed at how things had turned out. He wasn't incompetent, he knew that much. But he couldn't help but feel like it when these two kept slipping between his hooves. He was also annoyed that the nurse wouldn't believe him when he was showing her his badge, but that was beside the point. It didn't take long for Gilded to find him, what with how easy to spot Eagle's oddly-patterned coat was. He took his partner back to the castle, both to let him rest and to gather up their combined report.

"Do you think that counted as needlessly endangering ourselves by splitting up again?" Gilded asked, nursing his black eye and sore leg. 

"Yes," Eagle sighed as he said it. He hoped that they would be allowed to continue this pursuit. That was twice now that they had made a fool out of him, and yet... They could've left him somewhere to die just as easily. He didn't want to admit it, but he owed them for that. At least in his own mind. And he didn't want to owe anything to a pair of criminals, so he had to end the debt as soon as possible. And also... He wanted to see them again. This chase was quickly becoming the most interesting thing he had been a part of since the Changeling invasion, and he was enjoying it. He also wanted to do his duty and fulfill his orders, but at least it was fun as well.

"Bad luck huh?" Stryker spoke evenly as he walked up to the duo, "Skills in stealth, most likely have training, probably former military. Resourcefulness, coming from experience, veterans of their craft. Yet, have a sense a heart, even for strangers. They seem interesting, and also familiar." He paused before using his magic levitate two folders to them, the titles names as read; Trax, Nameless. Flare, Sun. "Both served in the Equestrian Military, they were average Soldiers. Trax was assigned as a Scout, explains how he flew so quietly. Sun was remarked often for her skill in magic, if she had stayed longer she might have been scouted by Princess Celestia. However, they never stated officially why they left, but it was quick and smoothly. Not a ripple to be seen. Since then, it's anypony's guess where they've been or went since." Stryker turned away from them and started away, "Princess Luna has requested personally that they be brought in for her Judgment, rumor spreads quickly in these halls. Apologies for pressure." He added with a sincere note. It was true, he did feel a little sorry for giving them such a task, even it did grow exponentially and out of his hoof. Though He knew one thing for a fact, the look of pure enjoyment in those Stallions eyes, was unmistakable. Those two would catch these Siblings, and are probably the only two of his entire Guard that can. That day, Captain Stryker felt a new sense of pride kindle to a flame inside him, a flame he had not felt for too long.

Trax and Sun boarded the train bound for Ponyville, a small town compared to Canterlot, but popular for its size. It would make a good final stop before they would leave to camp in the Everfree for a few weeks, then move on to another larger city. "That could have been us Sun," Trax began solemnly, his eyes narrowed as if remembering a darker day, "It should have been us..." Sun sighed as she slumped back in her seat, "Probably, but we were cheated out of it, and in the end, those who cheated us still remained just regular Soldiers. Anyway, we should focus on keeping clean from here on out, any attention wont be good for us. We used to be pretty big names in Army, if those Guards reported to their Captain already, it's only a matter of time before they find our real identities. At least now we have an idea of who will be pursuing us." Trax had to give it to his Sister, she was smart that way, but he had sense of worry. The look that Guard had in his eyes, that sense of excitement and joy, he had a feeling they'd be seeing those two again. Soon.

Going to Ponyville had been their biggest mistake. Of course Celestia's star pupil, Twilight Sparkle, would recognize the two ponies that Gilded and Eagle had described in such great detail. Celestia had sent a correspondence to all of her most trusted allies about the thieves. And they listened closely, especially with Luna so passionate about their capture. Eagle Heart didn't even care that his rib hadn't healed yet. When he heard the letter Twilight had sent to Celestia, he was off like a flash to find his partner.

Unfortunately, his partner was a little slower to leave the mark.

"Patel is still sick, and now so is Silver Lining," was his reply when Eagle Heart showed up at his doorstep. He had a slight limp, his shoulder still severely bruised from colliding with the bouncer pony. Eagle sighed, but was quick to look happy to see Gilded's twins as they flew straight at him.

"Uncle Heart! Uncle Heart! We haven't seen you in forever!" Cloud Chaser cried out, her mute sister nodding vigorously. The pair hovered around him, taking turns leaping off of his back to do small stunts in the air. They were very endearing to him, even if they were part of why Gilded Helm was reluctant to come with him right now.

"Gilded... This is coming directly from the princesses. You know we have to act quickly."

"I know, but-" The stallion was cut off by a loud coughing fit in the next room. He rushed in and stood beside his wife's bed, patting her mane as the coughing subsided into shuddering. She glanced up at her husband with a smile, then looked around and noticed their guest.

"Eagle Heart! What are you doing here? Weren't you waiting for news about your missi- cough cough cough!" Silver Lining cut herself off with another fit, but quickly regained her composure. Eagle looked down at her with a pained expression, hating to see such a bright mare in such a state. Then, with the light bulb nearly visible above his head, he got an idea. Without a word, he took off out the front door, leaving the family all together. It was only an hour before he came back, Heart Breaker and a doctor in tow. 

"Go on now, boys. And not one word or protest out of you, Gilded," the dark red unicorn said smoothly, closing the bedroom door on the two stallions. Unable to argue any more, Gilded Helm gave up. The two were on the next train to Ponyville, and they prayed that they wouldn't be too late to find the trail.

Trax charmed his way into getting a sweet deal on a few apples for lunch, tossing the second one to his Sister, the two sat outside in the town square. "I thought we agreed in keeping a low profile, that implies no Flirting." Sun reminded him crossly, Trax looked back at her with half closed eye lids, "I got a good deal out it, besides, I kept it PG and surface level." The two sat in silence as they ate their apples, after they finished, they picked up their large saddle bags and started for the local Inn. "Tomorrow we'll set up camp in the Everfree, same place as before, hopefully those Guards don't chase us in there." Sun explained before frowning, "You know, when I said I can't wait to have a Stallion chase after me, I didn't mean like this. I'm not getting any younger, come on!" She cried out sadly. Trax let out a breath of annoyance, he couldn't disagree with her completely, He would never tell his Sister but he genuinely hoped to meet the right Mare someday and settle down. For now, they needed to focus thier efforts in losing the heat they had recently gained.

From across the square, a dark brown pony with a short black mane and green eyes, watched the pair with venomous eyes. He glanced down at his paperwork where a picture of Trax and Sun glittered in the sunlight, red circles traced around their heads, "Saves me the trouble of Canterlot Security, they just made this job a whole lot easier. For me, that is."

Gilded and Eagle were, for their part, wandering aimlessly. Twilight hadn't been able to keep a close eye on the siblings, and they were no longer anywhere near the station. This led to them having a large town to search with very few leads. They started asking around with every pony they saw, which fortunately yielded a few results, but nothing truly concrete. At least, not until they happened upon a certain mare selling apples who pointed them in the right general direction. It gave them an area to search, at least.

Trax sorted through his saddle bags carefully, separating anything he knew would just be useless weight. Sun did the same, but ultimately Trax's useless pile would be larger. They took an inventory of their things, and then compiled the useless things together to sell at a general store for money or more useful supplies. They headed downstairs and went back outside heading for the nearest General Goods Store, by bad luck at cart passing by, the didn't see the two familiar Guards, or notice another hidden danger.

Eagle spotted them before Gilded. He nudged his partner in the flank, and the two of them started tailing the ponies. They didn't notice the dark figure either, although it was almost certain that they would be noticed by it. They didn't want to try now, out in the open. They wanted to wait until they could corner them inside, where there would be no flying away and no causing any chaos.

"Interesting." The venomous eyes gleamed with curiosity.

Trax nodded his thanks to the old stallion, the storekeeper had bought all their supplies for a reasonable price, so he could sell them a little higher for a profit. Sun picked out a few things for making s'mores, just because they were in hiding, didn't mean they couldn't enjoy some trears. Trax glanced through the isles and picked out a few dried fruit baggies, these snacks would do to keep them up till they made camp and settled in. They approached the storekeeper again, content with their purchases.

"Well well well. Fancy meeting you here," a familiar voice said. Eagle Heart stepped out just behind them as they walked up to the counter. Gilded Helm was nowhere in sight, however.

"I was just picking stuff up for my cousin, and here I find exactly the pair I was looking for. And may I say, you look lovely as ever, Sun Flare." He smiled, but it was a genuine one.

Trax tensed up with unease, 'How did they find us so quickly? Also, they know who they are too', He thought to himself trying to keep his cool. Sun however was not as fast on the uptake. She giggled like a school filly, all red with embarrassment, then it struck her. "Dang it, of course its you again!" She cursed backing up from Eagle slowly. Trax tossed the bag of bits they got from selling their useless gear, onto the counter for the storekeeper, "Apologies in advanced." He said to him before Sun teleported closer to the door, while he batted a bag of flour at the ceiling. The place erupted with white powder, clouding everyone's vision. Trax had already picked his way out, and made a quick B-line for the exit, where Sun awaited him.

Gilded opened the door and blocked it. "Now now, let's not play games with the door again," he chuckled. He loomed over them, thick but not entirely intimidating. Eagle once again appeared behind them, grabbing a hold of Sun Flare so she couldn't teleport away from them again. "Come on now, we only just met again, do you have to go so soon?" Then he leaned in closer to whisper in her ear "And did you really think I would walk up to you without a plan?"

Gilded took a quick step towards Trax as well, ready to jump on him if he tried anything. "Come on now," he said with a frown, "Princess Luna herself wants to talk with you two. We're in a real bad position here."

Sun blushed a little, "Not the way I imagined being asked out to a date." She said nervously, they were trapped. Trax grit his teeth, flexed his muscles as he readied himself to leap at Gilded, but at the last second he caught a glimpse of something else. His body then moved before he could make a choice. Trax shot forward, his right hoof extended out, shoving Gilded aside forcefully. The next moment caused Sun to scream out in horror. A black feathered arrow struck Trax in the chest, the force carried him back off his hooves and crashing into the shelves of the store. Sun broke free of Eagles hold in a moment of hidden strength, she rushed for her brother but was carried off balance as another arrow slammed into her side, it was an ill placed shot as it missed any important organs. Sun fell onto the floor, shaking and whimpering with pain, Trax was knocked unconscious. "Please help him! Please I beg of you! Help My Brother!" She cried out in tears, a mix of sorrow, fear, and pain.

The venomous eyes broke down two heavy crossbows in mere seconds with his magic, making it look like mere firewood, and started off further into the shadows of the ally across the street. 

Gilded had picked himself up from the ground and ran to pick up Trax before Sun Flare had even spoken. Eagle Heart turned angrily towards the attacker, ready to chase them down, but Sun's whimpering voice forced him to her aid instead. He helped her up, then picked her up onto his back. He looked over to make sure that Gilded had Trax securely on his back, then he took off out the back. Coincidentally, he did have a cousin here in Ponyville. And her home seemed like a perfect hide out for them from this new unseen threat.

He led the way through the alleys between the houses, stopping outside of one that looked just the same as all the others. He pulled out a key from under his wing and unlocked the cellar, letting Gilded in first before following, closing the door, and locking it behind them. He then set Sun Flare down on a pile of old blankets and then rushed to help tend to Trax.

"We've gotta stop the bleeding first."

"I know, I know. Is Bleeding Heart here?"

"Fraid not. She's going to be shocked when she comes back here, let me tell you..."

They were talking to keep themselves calm, an old trick they had learned together in training. But they also knew they would need a surgeon to get the arrows out of these two, and that could be dangerous too. The two stallions exchanged a look. For now, they would just have to try and ease their pain.

Sun shivered uncontrollably, she would go into shock soon, if she didn't get this arrow out in time. Without asking, she pulled Eagle to her with her magic, straight into a kiss. Then she tensed up as she also used her magic to slowly remove the arrow from her side, tears flowed from her eyes strained in agony. Once the arrow was out, her magic let up and she fell limp, weak and exhausted. "Close... the wound... you need to close the wound..." She whispered frantically and shakily. Trax's sides rose and fell slowly, a good sign he was breathing, but the arrow in his chest still needed to be removed.

Eagle was surprised by the sudden kiss, but he didn't fight it. He wouldn't have under normal circumstances, if he was honest, but he wasn't going to deny her while she was in pain either. Once she let him go and he saw that the arrow was out, however, he cursed softly under his breath and ran to the corner, dragging out an old saddle bag. He flipped it open and began rummaging through it, pulling out a curved sewing needle, silvery thread, antiseptic, wrap bandages, and gauze. He then dragged them closer to Sun Flare and set them down, beginning to thread the needle.

"Don't worry," he murmured to her, "I promise I know what I'm doing. I take an in-depth first aid course every year. Gilded," he said louder, "you'll have to take that arrow out of him. Slowly."

"Got it," Gilded replied solemnly. He crouched down beside Trax and took a firm hold of the arrow before pulling it slowly free from the pegasus's body, doing his utmost not to wiggle it at all. Meanwhile, Eagle was making the first careful stitch.

Sun lay still, her body had become too numb and tired for her to feel anything, but she still managed to surpress a slight smile. "Kissing releases chemicals in the body that can act as a natural painkiller, you have no idea how much that helped. Sorry if I crossed a line, or another's." She explained, referring to another as a possibility that Eagle was taken by another. She let her eyes roll lazily around the room till she rested on the arrow's tip, normally she would have started to panic, but instead she surpressed a weak sigh, "Also... the arrows were tipped with poison..." Her last words came out as a weak breath. The arrow, although stained with blood, had another liquid substance on the arrowhead. The arrowhead itself was just a diamond shaped metal head, no protruding barbs to grab hold with, clearly meant for speed. Whoever the shooter was, clearly was going for broke with their shots, they only needed to skim the target at the very least. Trax's eyes fluttered open as Gilded started with arrow, he didn't know wether to be thankful or extremely worried, because he couldn't feel the arrow being pulled out. Which led him to another conclusion, Poison. He recalled the recent events; facing the Royal Guard, barely seeing the glint of steel from the sunlight coming from the ally, shoving the Guard from harms way and taking the arrow to the chest. It missed his heart, and luckily didn't go deep enough for his lungs, he could still breath normally. Rather, his lungs weren't opened up, the poison in his system had some kind of numbing agent in it. Trax moved his head, which was a challenge in itself, to see his Sister being tended to. He smirked before looking up at Gilded, "If it's alright with you, I think we'll take you up on that offer to see the Princess now. Kinda limited on our options now." His tone was a little rapsy from the numbness, but the point had been made. Despite the circumstances, you caught us, just please help us.

Eagle didn't reply to Sun until he had finished stitching her up and started bandaging her, sparing one glance to the arrow. "I thought as much. It only made sense, since he didn't take the time to take a more deadly aim. He knew the poison would finish what he started. And no," he added, his tone softer, "you didn't cross any lines. Try not to move now, we want to slow the poison's path through your body."

He tied off the bandage and stood up, pausing only to kiss her forehead before going to see about sewing up Trax. Gilded managed to finish taking the arrow out, and carefully laid it aside. He then looked at the injured stallion like he was crazy.

"Of course we're going to help you. You may have done multiple illegal things, but anypony can see you two aren't evil or anything. Let's just put this chase on hold until you two are better, alright?"

Eagle was quicker with the needle this time, worried more about stopping the bleeding than causing pain now. Their time was short enough as it was. The second the bandages were tied, he helped Trax get on Gilded's back, then went to pick up Sun Flare on his. They had to get back to the palace as quickly as possible, which right now meant they had to hop a train.

Trax stiffled a sly smirk, "This might actually be worth it, I can't wait to see the look on the pony's face when you explain why you have two half-dead ponies on your backs." He joked amusingly, though his exhausted facial expression told he was in a great deal of pain still, the numbness starting to subside. Sun behaved more thankfully, her breathing was slowing, becoming more like her Brothers. Their conditions were the same now, Trax had a deeper wound so the poison acted faster, as well as being hit first. "So what's the deal with a Princess taking an interest in two Thieves? We're more like Tresspassers, since we didn't take anything out of the castle." Sun asked weakly, obviously making an effort even speak clearly with her slow breathing rate.

Archived