Name: Silver Stream

Sex: Female

Species: Unicorn

Eye colour: Pastel Blue

Coat: Pale Grey

Mane and tail: Lavendar with a pale blue streak

Physique: Slightly thicker than average

Residence: An inn/cottage near Neighagra Falls

Occupation: Owns a small rest stop along the road to Canterlot.

Cutie Mark: A flowing stream with sparkles over it. It appeared one lazy day while Silver was napping by her favorite brook. A cry of fear and a splash woke her up, and she looked up to see a frightened mare further upstream staring after a baby pony that was struggling to stay afloat. Reacting more than thinking, Silver Stream used her magic, and by instinct alone lifted the water upwards, bouncing the baby out of the brook and back onto the shore. As the mother scooped up her baby, the cutie mark appeared on Silver Stream's flank, recognizing her magical talents with water.

Unique Traits: Particularly skilled at elemental magic,especially water-based, and has several white freckles across her nose and cheeks

History: No one really knows what happened to Silver Stream's parents. No, really. The little filly, barely over a year old, had been left with her grandmare while her parents took a vacation, which was only meant to last a few days, but they never came back. No pony heard from them or saw hide not tail of them. They were simply gone, and they hadn't said where they were going. Nor were they the kind to just leave their foal behind for good. It was a mystery, and a sad one at that. Golden Falls always said her daughter would come back someday for her filly, so she kept looking after Silver. But she also had an inn to run, so often times, the little filly could be seen riding her grandmare's back, or walking at her side once she grew too big.

Silver Stream admired her grandmare's hard-working attitude, but she was also sympathetic to how much the old mare did. Because of this, Silver started learning how to do the work at the inn so that she could help her grandmare out and take some of the burden off of her shoulders. When Golden Falls fell ill, Silver doubled her efforts so that the mare could rest. By the time Golden was fully bed-ridden, Silver had practically taken over. Golden Falls always protested this, but Silver would hear none of it. She loved her grandmare, and she could tell that her life was nearing its close. Silver just wanted it to be as comfortable as possible.

Silver Stream was never one to stray far from home. Which is probably why when her grandmare died, Silver never left the Neighagra Falls Inn.  Silver Stream managed the entire inn on her own, despite not being an adult yet. Which may not seem so difficult with it having only eight rooms for rent, but then you consider that she cooks, cleans, repairs, remodels, book keeps, and manages all of those rooms at once and it starts to sound a bit overwhelming. Which may be why so few ponies have ever met the mare.

Personality: Silver is a sweet, caring pony. She is well-attuned to the emotions and needs of others, and is always willing to help. The comfort of others is extremely important to her. She is very hard-working, and often busy because of it. She is also painfully shy, unable to talk to anypony aside from business affairs or helping them with a problem. Her voice is soothing, but quiet as well. Her favorite things to do in her free time are read, listen to other ponies' stories of traveling, practice her magic, and take naps in quiet, peaceful spots (usually near the falls)

Hey there! Friendly neighborhood Dubstep here. First let me say a belated 'Welcome to the site!' and I hope you enjoy your stay here c:

So let's get don to the nitty gritty. You've got a good start here! The only real issues are A: the History, not that it's bad mind you. It's just rather short! It doesn't give us a whole lot of insight into who Silver Stream is. To nab a short list from the application page itself (these of course are not all encompassing and you're free to add as much information as you'd like):

'Where was your character born?
How was life for him or her growing up?
Who are his or her parents and how do they get along with your character?
Is there any other family we should know about?
What is his or her life like now?
How did your character get to where he or she is?
Where does he or she hope to go from here?'

You've hit most of these, but juuuust barely brushed over them. We'll need a bit more than that to really get a good feel of what this pony's life and history was like.

B: Cutie Mark! The cutie mark choice is entirely fine, what we'd like to see though is the story of how they got their cutie mark! You can either include that in the Cutie Mark section itself, or in the History if you'd like. So long as it's there!

and C: Character Summary. Now, this for me? I usually combine in with Personality. It's just a quick summary of who your character is. Imagine if you asked someone for a quick rundown of their character. For example, for me with Dark Core:

'Dark's a young colt who thinks he's the greatest villain of all time, but when it gets down to it he's more of an annoying kid who thinks his pranks are sooooo evil. He lives out in Froggy Bottom Bog though he's originally from Stalliongrad. He's mostly harmless, even if he's a grump and causes trouble for those around him.'

It gives you a quick idea at a glance about who the character is, without going into as much detail as the whole history.

I think what you've got here is a great start, and given some time to edit, I think you'll be WoE approved in no time c:

If you've got any questions, feel free to ask me or any of our other RP Staff and we'll try to get back to you ASAP! <3

I actually left most of this out on purpose (save for how she got her cutie mark, I just didn't have it yet) because I prefer to let it come out in the roleplays themselves. I don't like having too much of that set in stone yet so that muns can learn it naturally from my character directly, allowing for it to feel more organic. Also so that if I change my mind about it later on, the person I'm rping with doesn't get confused on which was the actual correct version.

Another reason (for this particular OC only) is because she was made in a bit of a hurry.

Buuuuuuut I suppose I could alter the character sheet to include that "nopony really knows her past because she is so shy and doesn't talk much about herself, and since her grandmare has died there's nopony else to ask about it".  I just feel like the character sheet shouldn't give away more information than you could gather, say, if you were asking her neighbor. That feels like it should come through interacting with the OC directly.

I do appreciate your input though! If gives me the ability to explain my reasoning, so thank you ^u^

Oh I certainly understand and do agree that past information should come naturally through RP and the like. But the issue that arises is that, if someone were to have such little backstory, and then in RP come up with something outlandish or over the top that they say 'happened in their past' or what have you, without anything to explain why in their app, it could cause problems. Such as arguments between members or between members and staff over 'Well it doesn't say it there' 'Well is doesn't say it didn't happen either' or things like that. That's not me saying you would cause any issues of course, it's simply that we need to keep everyone on even ground as best as we can.

That being said you don't need to fit every single detail about any character into an app. Just enough to give us an idea of those things listed above. The information in the app, aside from appearance (and even that if a pony were to keep it hidden IC), it meant to be purely OOC information until it is learn IC. As for changing mind on history or cutie mark story, once an application is accepted if you decide to change up anything on their app drastically (Such as major points in their history, their entire look, or their cutie mark story) the app will have to go through re-evaluation just to make sure it continues following the guidelines for WoE

Now were this an FFA app there'd be no issues at all letting it stay as is. FFA is a much more relaxed, but far less structured, RP section that WoE is, and all you'd have to do with that is just post it in the appropriate section, no approval process required. If you feel that WoE is a bit too strict on the app making process, I totally understand, and FFA is certainly an option! I do believe though that your character would fit in just fine in WoE, but it will need the aforementioned expansions/additions made to it for it to be accepted ^^;

Feel free to browse through other currently accepted app to get a general idea. Now obviously no one is going to chastise you if you don't write dozens and dozens of paragraphs like some apps have. We don't have a hard cap on how much you write for your WoE app, but we do have a minimum, so to speak.

Hopefully, Dubstep doesn't mind if I step in for a little bit:

Essentially, the History field should be treated as a SparkNotes summary of how your OC got from the crib to where they are today. That is to say, reading a proper SparkNotes-esque summary shouldn't steal the emotional impact of having the OC talk about her past herself, if that's the sort of thing you're worried about. And if your OC has truly led a seemingly uneventful life... well, there ain't any real reason to need multiple paragraphs to tell the tale.

In the specific case of Silver Stream, we just need these particular questions answered:

• How did she come to live with her grandmother?
  • What sort of relationship did she have with grandma? How did it shape her personality and values?
  • How did a filly develop the skills needed to run an inn after her grandmother died?

Again, you don't need to get into details if you fear it'll ruin the impact of Silver Stream telling her life story in RP. We just need to know enough so that we're confident whatever backstory you got planned isn't against WoE rules and all that.

PS: Your entire History paragraph in its current state is better off in the Personality section instead, since it really seems to be more about her characterization and job description than anything else.

Ahhhh ok, I understand. That does make more sense than what I thought was going on (sorry I don't always get what people mean the first time they say things). I'll work on that then. I'm not used to writing apps in general, so I appreciate the patience with me!

Archived