Pets?

Treat pets or misc. animal companions as NPCs. General rules of thumb are no legendary/magical creatures like hydras or parasprites, and stick with animals that your OC can reasonably take care of with his or her resources. Basically, a pony shouldn't be raising a bear if they live in the city.

Well, there's nothing stopping you from mentioning on an app sheet that an OC of yours owns a puppy.

.....And what's an Enfield puppy, exactly? According to Google, no such dog breed (either real or fictional) exists.

An Enfield is a creature from medieval heraldry. It's basically a dog with a fox tail and the front feet of a bird. No magical abilities or anything, just a mishmash of animals into one awesome critter

Oh yeah, there was an orthros in that one swap meet episode.

Anywho for something like that, if your OC handles and/or trains exotic animals for a living, then maybe? Otherwise, that pony really has no business keeping an orthros around their residence (or an enfield for that matter). Point being, Equestria isn't a place where random ponies get to befriend creatures of mythical/legendary origin without tons of effort and skill.

I dunno, Pinkie Pie has a random alligator with no teeth who doesn't seem to age or grow larger... Celestia happens to have a phoenix... Trixie sort of has a trained manticore? Rainbow Dash has a flying steampunk tortoise...

I feel like a small dog with bird feet and no special abilities should be fine. He'd basically be Winona + birb aesthetics. He wouldn't even be able to fly.

You know, I'll just get to the real heart of the matter: giving an OC a super-exotic animal that wouldn't be setting appropriate for the average pony to keep smacks of Mary Sueism. I mean, it's hard to know exactly how sensible it would be for your character to own a legendary animal unless I'm reading through their character sheet and all that. But honestly, I believe gaining the companionship of such rare creatures should have to be earned through actual roleplay, sorta like how we prefer OCs not owning highly powerful relics unless they were acquired during a roleplay first.

Archived