Official Discussion Thread - S07E25/26 Shadow Play - Part 1 & 2

tacobob

JE761yF.png

Shadow Play - Part 1 is the twenty-fifth episode of season seven of My Little Pony Friendship is Magic and the one hundred and sixty-eighth overall. It is the first part of a two-part season finale.
In this first part, Sunburst discovers Star Swirl the Bearded's lost journal, and Twilight Sparkle becomes obsessed with saving him from a thousand-year-old prison.

Shadow Play - Part 2
Spoiler

is the twenty-sixth episode of season seven of My Little Pony Friendship is Magic and the one hundred and sixty-ninth overall. It is the second part of a two-part season finale.
In this second part, Star Swirl the Bearded and the other Pillars of Old Equestria are back from limbo, and Twilight Sparkle and her friends must work with them to defeat the Pony of Shadows.

This thread is dedicated to discussing the episode before, during, and afterwards. As the thread is now open it may indeed contain spoilers. I ask that potential spoilers talked about or shown before the episode airs stay within the spoiler tags please, after the episode you no longer have to use the spoiler tags, but warning, if you haven't seen the episode yet after it airs, this thread no doubt will have all sorts of spoilers in reviews, images, etc. So tread at your own risk!

Now this should have been the movie.

Spoiler

Oddly enough, one of the original ideas for the movie had an evil Alicorn as its big bad. Technically, the Shadow Pony was not an Alicorn, but he sure looked like one.

It was cool to see Starswirl after all of these years..Guess there goes another one of my head cannons...Aka Starswirl is Discord. :unsure:

Liked seeing Rainbow take on Garble..That guy needs his hinder kicked. and we see that AJ is very strong.

And the Dazzlings were kind of scary in their scene..Even cute little kids get a whooping thanks to their magic. And we also see that the Dazzlings are like 'our' sirens as they also probably eat ponies..Since one tries to bite Flash.

jZj3gtR.png

Ouch!

And also this..

BFFh3YE.png

heh.

Loved it! 

Spoiler

Oh my, all the lore we've been seeing from this season finally coming together!

I loved Starswirl's appearance and how Twilight basically fangirled over meeting her idol, only to find out he was rich in magic but poor on the friendship side. Kind of like how Twilight was circa Season 1 opener. 

I guessed that bringing the former guardians would bring back the Pony of Shadows. Speaking of him, I liked how Stygian wasn't just another baddie that needed to be reformed or rainbow nuked. His reason for getting corrupted was justified due to Starswirl's poor friendship abilities. Could we say that Starswirl was just as much a villain as the Pony of Shadows? I liked how Stygian was saved. 

Love seeing the Guardians taking on the Sirens and banishing them. This proves that really the Guardians had no idea where the Sirens were sent, just that it was as long as they were not in Equestria (or at least the pony version of Equestria). 

Starlight being the voice of reason. With Starswirl's one track mind and Twilight's willingness to follow Starswirl she predicted that the Pony of Shadow would be released and that banishing him wasn't the answer. I guess it took a former villain to know the mind of another villain. 

This one was by far one of my favorite season enders, up there with Seasons 3 and 4. Can't wait to see what Season 8 will have in store. 

Archived