Always the How, Never the Why (Closed)

SteelEagle

TwiBanner_zpsvi6knv7w.png

Twilight was always hoof deep in some experiment or project. Celestia may have had the greatest library on tap in the world but Twilight was more selective and scientific in her approach. As far as she was aware, there was nothing beyond the reach of a skilled pony when magic and science were combined. Recent events had caused her to see the limitations of magic alone. The fact one could traverse time but not fix a mane seemed patently silly and something that should not stand in the modern era. She didn't want to be caught flat-hoofed next time a friend called on her to help for such a simple matter. And so she did what she did best: She used science.

The goal was a wide-spectrum formula infused with magic and the right chemical mix. Adaptable and modifiable, the basic concept was to change a pony's aura in such a way as to allow physical changes. It involved four spells. One to change the aura, one to rewrite aetheric perception of oneself, and another dependent on the change. Chemicals were used that varied on the goal inherent in the design. The last spell was used to enhance the chemical formula, supercharging the biological changes needed to accomplish the task in such a short time. She had gone through a vast number of calculations and had finally settled on a small selection of spells and chemical compounds that could work together.

She had committed herself to some good testing in theory space, but that could only take her so far. Her successes were less inspiring than her failures. In the end she could only do so much. The implications of her research were far ranging. If her theories held up, then her combination of spells and chemicals (potions) could do almost anything mentally or physically, given time or volume. But these were theories and the implications very, very big. She needed to test it out in real life at some point in small, safe ways.

A knock on her lab door interrupted her. Twilight, her face covered in gear and with lab glasses on, glanced up. Spike looked in and waved. “You have a visitor- uhhm, everything all right?” he asked. Twilight teleported to him, wide smile beaming from edge to edge. “Everything is great! I've been making such excellent progress. Soon I'll be able to test it on ponies! Not the dangerous stuff- where'd you go?” Twilight asked the ghost of Spike's exit, the small dragon knowing the tone of her voice and making a quick exit.

Twilight shook her head. Her horn lit up and her scientific outfit went away, replaced by the regalia of royalty. A few quick trots later and she was in the throne room of her castle.

“How can I help?”

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

image.jpeg

Silver cleared her throat quietly. The filly was feeling daunted to say the least. The royal throne room was vast and she had never been in it by herself. Usually she had Diamond Tiara at her side. Lately the two had had a bit of a split. Silver had found some independence in this. Both were trying to find themselves and both found it easy to do on their own. At least for now. Silver was sure she would reunite with Diamond in the near future, but for now she was on her own.

Princess Twilight stood before her now. She looked so regal, so powerful. Silver's heart beat faster as she thought about all that power. She wouldn't ask for much, just a small sliver of a fraction of what she knew the Princess of Friendship was capable of.  The question would be, how was she going to get Twilight's aid on this matter? She would need to be ever so careful of her words. 

"Good afternoon Princess," Silver offered, dipping her head and bending a knee. "I hope I find you well." She smiled a genuine smile.

She took a small breath, knowing it was not a good idea to fritter away a Princess' time with frivolity. "I was hoping to enlist a bit of magical aid from you," She stammered. "O-on a matter of ummmm...." Now was not the time to be backwards. She searched for confidence. "On a matter of...friendship!"

Twilight smiled. It was one of the local schoolfillies, Silver Spoon. She was part of a duo that had a bit of a reputation amongst the younger ponies as bullies, but just like Diamond Tiara, she was trying to turn over a new leaf. Twilight was always happy to see ponies strive to be the best versions of themselves that they could be and was humbled by the knowledge that within every bully or villain was a friend and ally, just in need of help to see it themselves. Hopefully she was getting the help she needed to see the light that shined within her. And if she needed some help from Twilight or anypony else, the Princess was happy to help. 

She came in very politely, obviously awestruck but keeping her manners in heck. She dipped her head on bent knee and tried to catch her breath. "Its fine, Silver Spoon. Catch your breath. I'm the same Twilight you've ever known!" The Princess said, aware that while she viewed it that way to a certain degree nopony would ever agree. She had a title and was a unique species- she hoped for the impossible it seemed. Still, she was here for the ponies of Ponyville, not the other way around. "Besides, its a little embarrassing to have somepony kneel for you!" She added, her voice jovial but absolutely sincere. It would never not be strange.

Onto the matter at hoof. She was here on a matter of friendship and needed...magical aid? Unusual but not unheard of. Twilight wasn't one to simply hoof out her magical abilities to solve friendship issues. She would rather talk about friendship and help the pony learn to become a better friend. You can feed a mare a meal and she will be full for a moment. You teach that mare to farm and she will never be hungry again. "Well, I'll have to hear more about this. What friendship problem could you have that would require magical aid?" She intoned hopefully, her voice full of honest curiosity. No doubt it took guts to ask it: Surely there was something more than common behind it?

image.jpeg

Twilight was inquiring further! Truthfully she hadn't even expected to get this far! Silver smiled sweetly and took a few steps closer. The Princess was right of course, she was the same Twilight she had always been...right? It was just eh castle, and the throne room, and her regalia that made Twi seem far less like the pony she used to know. Silver shook these thoughts from her mind. She had to be cool and calculating to get what she wanted.

"Well you see Princess...I mean Twilight...I-i mean Princess Twilight." She took a breath. "Get it together..." she muttered to herself between her teeth.

"You see, there's this colt. H-he's umm," She took a breath. "He's so shy. He's a great guy really, it's just... he needs some help coming out of his shell. I've tried lots of different methods with him but he hasn't responded well to any of them." She smiled. "I even asked the Cutie Mark Crusaders for help with him. They tried, but he's still just so shy. We all know he would be great at being friends but we wanted to give him a chance to see what it's like not to be shy."

She looked up at Twilight. "That's where I thought you might be able to help. Could you use a spell or a serum or something to give him a taste of what it would be like to have some more courage. Something to help him, well, loosen up?"

So it was for a colt? Well, she was at that age when an interest in others could start to grow. And if you liked somepony, watching them not able to come out of their shell could be frustrating. She had the same issue with Fluttershy. It took years to watch her grow out of her shell, years of struggling against the grain of a personality that wanted so desperately to hide in a cottage and remove itself from any and all conflict. She ad come so far and Twilight was so proud of her! But she hadn't used magic to help her friend. Being a good friend, an understanding one, and helping her to see what would help her feel the self-respect she deserved to feel were arduous tasks but once completed, helped make Fluttershy the better pony she was today. Magic spells didn't help. The Magic of Friendship did.

Which was to say that Twilight didn't know if magic was the best solution to this friendship problem. Being shy was no great crime and Twilight wasn't sure that she should step in without knowing more. She liked her datapoints after all and what was a friendship problem other than a problem for the science of friendship to solve? She nodded. “I see. I have a shy friend myself, and it can be painful to watch them not coming out of their shell. But I'm not sure magic is the solution you're looking for. Can you tell me anything more? In what way does he need to come out of the shell? What have you tried?” She asked, the honesty of Silver Spoon being put to the test. Twilight wasn't against the idea of using magical aid, but it needed to be the final option. Better for friends to help friends than for the help to come from purely aetheric means.

• 1 month later...

image.jpeg

Silver sighed inwardly. Of course the Princess would not be easy to persuade. She knew this wouldn't be an easy task but the filly hoped her gift of a silver tongue would help Twilight see things her way. She took an imploring step towards the purple alicorn, concern showing in her eyes.

"You see Princess, that's just the problem! We've tried so many things already. Inviting him to parties, asking him to play with a smaller group of us... And of course that's just the start. When we knew that wasn't going to be the way to get him more comfortable we tried just smiling and being nice to him. It just seems like nothing myself or my friends can do will help him."

She looked at the ground for a moment. It was difficult for Silver, though she was gifted in speaking, to tell such a bold faced lie straight the Princess' face. Of course the truth of why she wanted the serum would never work. This was the only way to get what she really wanted!

"So, that's what;s brought me to you Twilight." She looked back up, using what she hoped was an imploring gaze. "I just want something to loosen him up just a little. Just enough for him to see how much fun things can be when you are yourself with your friends!"

Silver seemed so earnest and so passionate regarding wanting to help this colt. Twilight was pretty sure there was a degree of infatuation in there but there was nothing wrong with the innocence of puppy love. Nor was there anything wrong with wanting to help a friend- and, seeing your efforts failing to achieve progress, wanting aid. As she spoke further Twilight's mind wandered. Not that she wasn't paying attention to what Silver said. On the contrary, her mind wandered specifically because of what Silver was saying. Twilight wasn't a mare that was constrained by questions as much as she infatuated with the answers to them. And she thought she had something that could help. No- she knew she did. The only real question was whether or not it was appropriate for Silver Spoon to be the pony to use it. Then again, as the possibility of a real test case started to become more concrete in her mind, the inner scientist started to gain control. And that scientist wanted data. Data!

She had a great little combination of potion and spell. The potion had a chemical mixture that lessened anxiety which was a critical component in shyness- the anxiety that came along with socialization. The spell came in later and helped shift an aura's natural inclinations. The combination allowed for a more freeing personality to take hold. As Twilight thought more about it she thought that this would be a win-win-win for all involved. Twilight smiled as Silver finished. “Well Silver, you really seem to care for your friend. Let me see if I can help you. Come on- follow me!” she said with a certain chirpiness that was her want at times. In just a few short gallops she led Silver into her experimental chamber.

She quickly found a chest and started looking through it, speaking as she did so. “So, if we're looking for something to make him feel more sociable, there are a few ways of going about it...” she started to rattle off ideas, most of which would go over Silver's head. On the table in front of Silver, to Twilight's back, were several potions she was working on. Most were relatively unmarked, with notes and whatnot accompanying them. What Silver would note were two things in particular: A small and easy hypnotic potion, used in light amounts to help a psychiatrist friend, and the potion she had been working on earlier. One that could change physical form, if slowly. The second potion also had a spell-listing, meaning Silver would need Twilight to cast certain spells to really have any effect. Still, it was something. All were unmarked and most were of the same dark purple colorization.

There were a dozen other potions and working spells on the table. Twilight continued speaking, and she levitated something out of the chest. It landed next to the two potions that may interest Silver Spoon, “...and that should help him become more open to socialization. So, think that'll help?” She said after several more seconds- more than enough time for Silver to take what she wanted!

image.jpeg

Silver kept up her aire of pleading though inwardly she was squealing in delight! Twilight was buying it! The Princess of Friendship was going to help her get the control she wanted...desired! The filly smiled and nodded as Twilight finished inviting her to follow.

"Oh! Thank you so so so much Princess! I can't wait to help my friend out! This means the world to me." She cantered alongside the purple alicorn for the few strides needed to get to the experimentation room. 

Silver's eyes bugged. So many potions! So many parchments filled with so many spells. She could almost feel the power radiating from what she saw. She wanted it! She wanted all of it. To control other ponies at her whim was her ultimate fantasy! She'd spent far too long in her life being controlled, that time was at an end!

Twilight rummaged around, getting together a mild relaxation potion and a somewhat mundane spell... Silver's gaze darted here and there... Ah! Though they were not entirely clearly marked she could make out that there was a transfiguartion potion and a hypnotic potion of some kind on the table. These were mixed in among a myriad a other potions and spells. The filly chuckled dryly to herself. How naive was this Princess? Turning her back while all of this power rested on her table? 

Silver moved quickly! She hadn't thought she would be trying to slip out with potion bottles but at least they were small. She slid them into her mane, where her braid started and her mane was thick. The tiny bottles and rolled parchment fit neatly without being seen.  She finished the deed just as Twilight turned around.

"Oh! Oh yes Princess! That should help so much! Thank you!" She beamed at Twilight innocently.   

Twilight smiled, pleased to have aided a young filly in her friendship journey. Truth be told she was always looking for ponies to handle matters on their own. That was the only way to well and truly understand the nature of friendship. But there existed many ponies in many situations that needed ir desired greatly magical aid. While it wasn't something offered very commonly, wasn't something she necessarily believed should be used often, she also wasn't opposed to using it in certain situations. And the way Silver was describing her friend, Twilight could only hope that magical aid was exactly what was needed to really see them through this. Silver Spoon seemed extra pleased. A little too pleased, even. Twilight could only suspect that the filly had certain feelings and emotions for the colt in mind and wanted to see him become a better version of himself, the one she knew he had inside of himself. It was very cute. Friendship truly was magical.

But everything had a price, and Twilight was sure to get a proper payment out of the filly. Before Silver Spoon could leave today she had to agree to certain deals with the Princess of Friendship who also thought of herself at times as the Princess of Scientific Study and Application of Principles. "I'm so glad you're happy. I'm sure, armed now as you are, that you can help your friend become the pony he was meant to be. Use that with an open heart and mind and you can help him achieve great things! Before you go though, I would like to know if you would be able to do me a favor,” she said, a notebook with some never-dull, always wet magical quills alongside it.

“I am always interested in how my new potions and spells work. I cant be there to see this one work because it wouldn't be right for me to interfere with your friendship, as armed as you are now to help him. But, if you could, please write down valuable information on how it is working here. What you did, how he is reacting, updates on his condition, all of that. Feel free to share it with me as you go along or wait until you have questions or concerns. Speaking of- do you have any questions now? Or about how to use what I've given you?” Twilight asked, oblivious currently to the missing potions. She was far more invested in the science that was about to happen, the prospect of both helping young ponies and furthering her research at the same time. It was a win-win-win!

• 1 month later...

image.jpeg

"Thank you again Princess!" Silver trotted in place with excitement.

The Princess didn't need to know where this excitement was really coming from. The recesses of Silver's heart longed to dominate and intimidate! She would have what she wanted from that colt! There was no way he was going to be able to resist! Especially now that she had the "help" she needed from Twilight.

"Don't worry!" She called over her shoulder as she made her way out of the experimental chamber. "I'll be sure to let you know how everything turns out!"

She couldn't help chucking to herself as she left. Some powerful rulers the Princesses of Equestria were! One of them ha just unwittingly given her the key to another pony's undoing! This wasn't an innocent though. Valen needed to be taught he couldn't best her! He may have gotten away without the public embarrassment before but not this time! Oh no! This time everypony would see him for what SHE wanted him to be!

The devious filly cantered down the road. She had to retrieve a few more items to be sure everything went off the way she intended. It had to be done right! If she was going to mess with a colt's heart, she had to have it just how she wanted.

Soon she was making her way to the door of Carousel Boutique. She rapped lightly on the door, gathering her breath. This was so exciting! But she had to remain calm and under control. It was the only way to ensure success!

8XeOsHy.png

“Come on in!”

Rarity was busy. She was always, always busy. Today was no great exception but she knew that she could help others even when she was doing what she was doing. The creation of new clothes always demanded attention but today was more about the physical than the mental. She had received a very special request from a friend to remake an old design of hers after an accident had seen it torn. She didn't know how or why Rainbow Dash had gotten her old gala outfit torn up nor did she know why she would ever even want it fixed, but hers was not to question why! Hers was to do and dye!

She enjoyed a nice pun.

She put the needle, thread, sewing machine and fabrics away from her main workbench in the main room of the Boutique. It didn't see as much business now that she had more famous locations in the main cities of Equestria but she was still excited to see new customers. She looked at the boutique as more of a creative hotspot and a house more than anything and she knew that was how the majority of ponies looked at it outside of Ponyville. And even inside of Ponyville, how many residents wouldn't just head to the 'happening' spot that was a train ride away?

Her mind was a little out of it. She shook it clear of the various hedgeways and gnats that consumed her mind. She wasn't feeling very eloquent at the moment. She was tired and she wasn't entirely focused on the here and now. A thousand business decisions found rent in her mind. Hopefully something could take her mind off of it- and as she saw who stepped in, she had to admit that the possibility for something interesting was...there.

“Hello there, Silver Spoon! I must say that I didn't expect to see you here today. Looking for a nice dress for a nice ballroom dance?” She asked, half hopeful for the future of Ponyville fillies and colts in regards to high society sensibility, half preparing for something far more mundane.

image.jpeg

“Hello there, Silver Spoon! I must say that I didn't expect to see you here today. Looking for a nice dress for a nice ballroom dance?”

Silver muzzle took on the sweetest of smiles. She was well able to hide her devious intent. “I mean if I can hide what I’m doing from a Princess, of course I can get along with the plan with other ponies…” She mused, giggling quietly to herself when Rarity turned her head.

“Hello Miss Rarity!” She stood in the doorway, glancing at the unicorn. Rarity seemed a bit...frazzled perhaps? Good! All the better to get on with her plan and move to the next phase!

“No, not a dress… actually nothing for me at all.” She looked down, giving her most innocent of poses. “I-I’m looking for… a gift.” This would be fun! Making Rarity think she had a special somepony in mind. “A gift for...well…” She looked up, her cheeks slightly flushed. “A gift for...a colt.”

Silver looked down again, an unseen smirk flashing over her muzzle.  This was too much fun!

8XeOsHy.png

A gift for a colt? The blush only cemented Rarity's thoughts on the matter. She remembered youth and the passions that came with the age where imagination and magic were entwined religiously in the soul. Truth be told that passion had never left her- it explained much of her life, it turned out. Few things were as especially enriching as puppy love! The first time another pony made your heart skip a beat and quake with excitement. It was one of the most delightfully charming facets of growing up and Rarity remembered her first crush- Rocky Road- rather fondly even decades later. If Silver Spoon was wanting to extend herself so much for her first little coltfriend, Rarity was more than happy to engage her. Her mind was racing regarding the proper gifts for the modern colt but after a short sprint she stopped herself, allowing herself to actually ask the important questions.

"Oooh, a colt friend? Well, aren't you the burgeoning young mare! How exciting! Who is he? How did you two meet? And what are you thinking for a gift?" She said, very excitedly taking Silver Spoon's measurements. It was one thing to do so for an unknown event but for a date! A date! She was already working on matching outfits. "Hmm, you'd look stunning in some lilac...lower on the haunch, don't need it to be high up....oh, a nice broche! How wonderful," she whispered with no real thought to herself. She eventually realized she was talking out loud and shook her head. "Oh, my apologies. Just so exciting. Your first little colt friend! Sweetie Belle doesn't have one yet and Apple Bloom's crush is a prince in a foreign land so I haven't had- ooh, so many ideas!" The mare giggled, waiting for further information before she pressed forward.

image.jpeg

Silver giggled under her breath. It was just too easy! Twilight and her best friends may be amazing and the saviors of Equestria and all that but they were also totally gullible it seemed! The filly was going to use this fact like nopony ever had before!

Rarity bubbled over with excitement about the coltfriend. If she only knew what Silver was going to do to this little “crush” of her’s. She would have him in her hooves! She would make him do whatever she wanted! She would make him submit! Make him...love her!

In order for her dreams to come true she needed just the right distraction. Something to take his eyes off her and hold his attention for a few moments. She knew what she wanted. She just had to direct Rarity towards it.

Silver stepped inside the boutique. All the frills and fabric didn’t phase her. She liked that sort of thing but her thoughts were far from where she was right now. She put on her bashful and excited face and let her eyes drift to the side as she answered the questions sheepishly.

“Well...he’s a little older than me…” She looked at Rarity. “But he’s so perfect! So much fun and easy to talk to…” She giggled. “Well, he would be if I didn’t get all caught up on my words when we hang out.” She beamed. “But he does like to hang out with me which I guess is a good sign!”

Rarity was taking her measurements and Silver wasn’t sure why. She let the fashionista continue however. Anything to keep her good and distracted. She didn’t want any questioning.

“It’s Valen. Valen Orange.” She blushed a deep crimson and crossed her front hooves. “Anyway...I want to get him something special. Something that shows him how much I care about him. And I know how much he likes fashion, just like you! That's why I figured you could help me."

8XeOsHy.png

Rarity let out a little titter as Silver Spoon relayed to Rarity her feelings. Aww, to be young! The emotions running over your words, catching them in your throat and sidestepping any true sensibility. It was a fresh and exciting whirlwind that stole your breath and left you light-headed. She envied little Silver Spoon this rush of emotion she was now feeling. She saw every little counter as a good sign, and every word she spoke came out quick and easy since he was so pleasant to speak with- well, except for all those times she choked on them. Self-contradictory statements? Classic case of crush right there, and Rarity could only extend her titter as she listened.

Then she was given the name. Rarity held her face in the excited, friendly manner but inwardly she was taken aback. Not unpleasantly mind you. In fact she was happy that little Valen had somepony out there who was 'into' him as...well, as Valen. Celestia knew that Gilded Lilly had more than a few devoted fanclubs. He was an unusual and very joyous little colt with an interesting lifestyle that was uniquely beneficial to her. He was not only a crossdresser but was a fashion icon! Nopony really knew who Gilded was and if they knew it would likely be bad news for the both of them. The fact that he now had a fillyfriend- well, either she knew it now or she would be shocked with it later. Rarity wasn't going to broach the subject, however. That was for young hearts to hash out...well, that didn't mean she couldn't ask in a more roundabout fashion.

"Oh, Valen? That is Applejack's cousin, is it not? He seems like a handsome sort. What does he want to do? Any hobbies?" She asked, not wanting to attack it directly. If Silver knew then Rarity could be a bit more open with her ideas. If she didn't- well, she wasn't going to ruin Gilded's career prospects through casual revelation. "So, something fashionable-" she said, her horn lighting up and opening a closet. It had a bunch of filly and colt-sized outfits, some smaller than others(even approaching foal size). Dresses and suits along with feminine and masculine casual wear. "-I'm sure I have something I can whip up from these bases. What do you think? Anything pique your interest?"

image.jpeg

Silver paused for a moment. She should have thought about this part a bit more. She was acting like she really knew Valen but she actually didn't! She wasn't sure what he liked to do or really all that much about him at all. All she knew was she was fixated on him and having him under her control! Just the thought of tightening his muzzle or tugging on his leash sent shivers through her! She was going to have him under her hoof!

"Ummmm... well," She knew he had a sense of fashion. She had seen the talent come out of him at Applebloom's sleep over before herself and Diamond had babied him up! She blushed at the thought of the colt in those tight diapers. "Well, I know he liked to dress nice. He's got fashion sense." She hoped the blush looked like it came from her infatuation with Valen.

"I'm sure he would appreciate if we had something that matched," Ah! An idea formed instantly in the filly's devious mind. "Do you have any large gems around?"

"What if I gave him something with a gem in it that matched something I was wearing?" She needed something to distract him. Make him look down instead of at her. "Do you have any scarves that would look nice on me? What if there was a pin on my scarf with a gem set in it and I gave him an ascot with a matching gem?" 

She gave Rarity the beseeching look of a youngster caught in the throws of first love. "Do you think he'd like that Miss Rarity?"

8XeOsHy.png

Rarity was very relieved. She had offered Silver Spoon an entire closet of ideas and she hadn't gone for any of the feminine ones, which meant as far as Rarity could infer that Valen's secret was still safe. Well, safe enough. Applejack and Rainbow Dash knew but she doubted it went further than that. Indeed, Silver Spoon's idea definitely gave Valen a bit of that masculine flair she thought he could use at least a little of. She slowly closed the closet, paying close attention to the filly's excitement. The blush was ever present. She had always known Valen could be a little heart-breaker if he ever wanted to be, and it was somewhat charming and affirming to see him send a filly into such a tizzy!

She adored puppy love. It was so innocent!

A scarf with a gem, and a matching ascot? Well, she knew she could provide that. Indeed, she knew she had just something like that laying around. An older couple had ordered two sets and then chosen one they liked. It was an anniversary gift so Rarity hadn't made a stink about the other the design- now she may have a use for it. “You know what? I might have just the thing that fits this bill! I will be back in just a minute,” She said, trotting off upstairs. She was gone for a few minutes, looking into her storage space for items she didn't have need for and didn't want crowding the ground floor of her business. She would return several minutes later, a scarf and ascot held aloft.

“Ta-da!” She trilled triumphantly as she levitated the scarf around Silver's neck. It was much too big for her of course but that wouldn't stop the design and color from popping. It was watermelon red with flowery inlay designs. A mannequin about Valen's size- well, exactly, since he had been the model for it- was soon next to Silver, with a similar ascot attached. “Now, besides the size, what do you think of this? I think that scarf looks simply divine on you! A nice sapphire gem would go great, would it not?”

image.jpeg

As soon as Rarity left the room Silver went to work! She quietly trotted here and there looking for items that might interest her and/or help her in her quest. As she moved past a basket on the ground near a sewing machine the filly noticed a small bolt with crimson felt ribbon wrapped around it. Perfect! She slipped it down deep into the small set of saddle bags she was carrying. She also removed the bottles of potions from her braid and placed them at the bottom of the bags. The stash was growing and she had only visited two of her targets so far!

She had to admit it felt good to pull the wool over the eyes of ponies like Rarity. How could such powerful ponies be so gullible? She stifled a titter as she continued to root through the unicorn's things, making sure nothing looked out of place. As she made her way towards the changing rooms she noticed some mirrors on a table used for ponies to look at hats they were trying on. This object was a bit larger but Silver had to have it! She couldn't hide it well like the ribbon but hopefully Rarity wouldn't look in her bags.

She whipped her head around just as the mirror slipped out of sight into the bag. Rarity had come back just as the deed had been finished!

“Now, besides the size, what do you think of this? I think that scarf looks simply divine on you! A nice sapphire gem would go great, would it not?”

Silver's eyes grew a bit wider as she looked at the scarf. It was beautiful! And it would look even more beautiful with the gemstone set on it!

"Oh Rarity! This is perfect! I love it and I think Valen will too!"

She would have to wait for the fashionista to tailor it and she hoped it wouldn't take too long. The weight of the stolen items in her saddle bags made her just a little bit nervous...

8XeOsHy.png

Few things made Rarity as deliriously happy as the excitement of a customer when she matched the right cloth and style with the right personality and that meant she was over the moon pleased with Silver's reaction, She felt more than a little pride in her ability to quickly and easily match the desire with the correct item as quickly as she had. Of course with a filly it was often easy. They just wanted to look pretty. Adults had such depth behind their qualifications it could be more than a little challenging at times. With fillies like Silver however there was no challenge, only a time of great happiness and creativity. Purity of purpose, how delightful! If only every client of hers afforded her such instant satisfaction.

“Excellent! It shouldn't be much work to tailor this, Silver Spoon. I already have the fabrics and design out. Maybe you can go out, get a bite to eat, and come back? I'll have a beautiful scarf and ascot in your size with a sapphire gem in each. It will be delightful!” Rarity said, levitating the scarf and ascot to the table along with various tools and fabrics. “It would be quicker but sapphire is actually a difficult gem to work with. Any minor scuffing during the insert and you ruin the sheen and that- well, that just won't do,” she said to nopony in particular, it felt she was simply justifying it to herself. The process was going to be easy enough. She was going to take the old scarf and ascot, work it until it was smaller, and then fashion the sapphires into them.

It wasn't a difficult process, but it would take around half an hour. “So, can you return in about thirty minutes? I should have it ready and then you can tell me how it fits,” she said excitedly, already starting work. She was intently focused and wasn't noticing anything that had been taken- not yet, anyway.

image.jpeg

Silver didn't let the wait time phase her. She could always go get some other items in town and then come back. Plus it would be nice to have a chance to stash some of the stuff she had collected. Especially the mirror! She had to keep shuffling the closure on the saddle bag to keep the top of the mirror from peeking out!

"Yes! That sound perfect! Thank you so much Rarity!" She turned to leave, a bashful smile plastered over her muzzle. She was a filly in puppy love, she had to look the part. 

Once outside she let out a breath, the sugary expression dropping from her face. It was replaced with a devious smirk. This was going so well. She could feel power welling up in her chest at the thought of what she was going to do! But, she couldn't get carried away. She wasn't to that part of the plan yet... first, a mode of delivering the serum!

Sugar Cube Corner was not far from Carousal Boutique. Silver trotted over to the swirly pink place and made her way up the stairs. Nopony could resist a cupcake baked by Pinkie Pie!

The bakery was open for business so she pressed the door open and stepped inside. Bells tinkled behind her to alert whoever was running the shop that a customer had arrived...

iXrjI1o.png

Sugarcube Corner was always busy. It was the town's most well-known, well-liked, and well-stocked bakery, after all. Sure the Apples may have had the better pies- even if Applejack was reticent to say it- and Bon Bon's Bonbons the best chocolate in town, but nopony who had a functioning soul could say no to what Sugarcube delivered. The Cakes had created a Ponyville institution and were by themselves bakers without compare. Without them there was little doubt that Sugarcube Corner would be little more than a memory. They had blessed this town and been blessed by it in equal measure, it seemed. But for all their skill and business savvy it would be a lie to forget what else made the place so wildly successful day in, day out.

And that was that they had hired Ponyville's premiere party pony, Pinkie Pie, permanently perfecting patron propinquity. She brought to her work a boundless and ceaseless energy that transfixed each and every pony who entered in an aura of fun and excitement. Shopping from Sugarcube Corner wasn't just about getting something tasty, it was about an experience. The smile you would leave with was slow in retreating and long in memory. She poured so much of herself into customer service and doing a good job for the ponies who walked in through the door that it would be maddening were it not the single most important thing to her to see somepony smile. Indeed, it led to a lot of ponies thinking Pinkie Pie ran the store- she was just a simple employee who happened to be the single greatest employee of her generation.

No big whoop.

Today was no exception. There were a dozen ponies in Sugarcube Corner, maybe a few more, with half of them sitting down and eating and the other half being helped by the one ceaseless blur of pink energy.
Hello Silver Spoon!” The blur said as it stopped on by before moving on to finish fishing something out of the display for somepony.
“I haven't seen you in a bit! Is your tummy feeling better?” The blur asked before it moved over to the register and rang up a sale.
“Come on up and take a seat at the counter while I make something,” Pinkie Pie offered, slowing down enough to be more pony and less blur. She was frosting a cake, a trio of hungry looking fillies looking on. “Whatcha wanting today?” She asked, her mane producing a pencil and legal pad.

image.jpeg

Silver moved to the bar stools at the counter to slid up onto one. She swiveled back and forth a bit, her tail swishing behind her. This movement momentarily betrayed her devious mission. For a split second she felt the lightheartedness of a filly at play. But then her eyes narrowed. She was on a mission! She had lofty goals in mind far beyond stealing a first kiss with a crush! 

As Pinkie appeared with pencil and note pad her smirk was masked by a happy grin.

"Hi Pinkie Pie!" She sniffed the sweet air. "Wow it smells so good in here! makes my mouth water!" Her eyes moved to the counter for a moment as a certain toothless gator sauntered by. "Oh! Hi there Gummy!" Gummy blinked alternating eyes towards the silver filly before continuing on.

She tapped a hoof to her muzzle. "What to order..."

Silver smiled at Pinkie, her cheeks blushing slightly. "I'm looking for two cupcakes," She was actually really hungry all of a sudden! "Make that three cupcakes! As far as flavor...I'm not sure..." Her eyes fastened on a display of stacked cupcake snot far away. "What would you recommend?" 

iXrjI1o.png

Cupcakes cupcakes cupcakes! There were dozens of types and styles to go around. Pinkie Pie had eaten a few dozen of just about every variety under the sun and had to say that there was no such thing as a bad cupcake. Even the ones that made her nauseous and feel like she needed to throw up had a certain charm, even if she was the only one who thought so. But that was neither here nor there nor a head of hair, because she was pretty sure that little fillies didn't like cucumber flavored cupcakes with pistachio frosting. Yuck! Yum! But mostly yuck. She thought very briefly about what to offer Silver Spoon but there were just so many great choices! Just! Too! Many!

Yummy problems.
“Oooh, some delicious cupcakes!” She said as she finished frosting the cake she was working on. She packaged it, put it on the counter, and started selling it. “We've got chocolate, vanilla, strawberry, Arnold Palmer, Banana Cream Pie, Banoffee, Banana Split, Berry Brownie Sundae, Black Bottom, Black Forest Jubilee, Blackberry Buttermilk, Blackberry Pineapple...” Pinkie Pie continued on for some time, listing off nearly a hundred different type of cupcakes, “...Very Berry Cheesecake, Very Berry Chocolate, and White Chocolate Raspberry. Whew, thats a lot of fun choices!” She said, having completed the sale a while ago and now just shooting the breeze with Silver. Truth be told she only had a few of those types ready to go but she could make any of them. It was always a lot of fun!

“So, three cupcakes- sharing with somepony or is it all for you?” Pinkie asked, nudging Silver with her elbow in the stomach. “I can allllllmost hear your stomach growling and I think its saying, 'I need lots and lots of cupcakes! Grooooowwwwwl!'” Pinkie said, honestly growling before launching into a laughing fit.

image.jpeg

Even though her deviousness was enough to peg her as an adult, Silver was still just a filly. As Pinkie started to list cupcake flavors the master plan was put on hold. Silver's eyes widened as the list went on and on, each one sounding better than the last. By the time Pinkie completed the list Silver could hardly remember most of them. She flinched as her stomach audibly gurgled as if on command at being pointed out.

"Hmmmm..." She tapped a hoof to her muzzle. "Well... I am sharing with somepony and I'm not totally sure what kind he'd like..." She managed a another blush. It wasn't really that difficult. She was very much looking forward to what she planned on doing to Valen and that excitement alone was enough to bring color to her cheeks.

To take any attention that might be forthcoming off of her she directed her gaze at the display of cupcakes not far away. "How about two of those with the chocolate frosting and one with the pink frosting? I'm not sure what flavors they actually are but they look really good!"

Her mouth was beginning to water. "I'll have the pink one here and take the other two to go if that's ok?"

iXrjI1o.png

“Oooooh, you're sharing withsomepony are ya?” She said, giving the little filly a wink. Truth be told that alone wasn't all that special. Everypony wanted to share treats with everypony, it was only right and natural after all to share the treats from Sugarcube Corner with all your friends. But Pinkie Pie had a habit of knowing things. It was like a sixth sense. Well...her Pinkie sense was her sixth sense. Maybe this was the seventh sense...nah, that wasn't it either. She had an innate understanding of what the natural order of parties called for even as the tides of the time changed! She could place the party cannon where it was needed to perfectly decorate any party anywhere. So maybe that was her seventh sense.

So knowing things was her eighth sense. Some ponies may just say that she overheard almost every little bit of gossip in town and had an ability to catalog even the most minute detail regarding just about everypony in town. So perhaps it wasn't a supernatural gift but rather her insane attention to unimportant details that managed to make her so knowledgeable in the realm of parties, relationships, and secret desires. So when Silver let slip that she was sharing, it didn't take long for Pinkie Pie to piece together who she was sharing it with. Of course, she didn't know the real reason why but that just meant her imagination was much purer than Silver's was devious. As far as she was concerned the grapevine had told her that Silver liked somepony and that was far as she was willing to look into.

“Well, I think I can get you two of those delicious chocolate fudge brownies-” she did so, one hoof getting the delicious merchandise while the other started fishing for the other which was a, “-strawberry cupcake too! Yummy choices right there Silver Spoon. That'll be two bits! And make sure to eat the pink one here,” she leaned in and winked, “because I think he likes pink too!” she said with a giggle. She didn't know Valen intimately but she knew a lot more than just about anypony who didn't know him like that. Indeed, if she was a pony who really made judgments about ponies then she'd have a lot of very conflicting feelings about Valen based on what she heard from Applejack, Rainbow, and the Cutie Mark Crusaders recently. Luckily she wasn't the judging sort, just the party sort!

Archived