All I want for Hearthswarming, is Blue. [Rainbowfoxxy, Open]

RexDraco

@RainbowFoxxy

7jenQJa.png

“It'll be fine.” He assured himself as the spirit sat perched up beneath what appeared to be busy fingers. “Now was on on purl or knit?” His muzzle scrunched up, causing the dark brimmed bifocals on his muzzle to shift. “Oh bother where did I put the pink?!” He reached down beneath him and pulled a ball of blue yarn into his paw, which he greeted with a scowl.

Discord sat in his living room under a nest of giant balls of yarn of various colors, with him perched atop like a mother hen in a nest. It certainly looked as if he rest in a nest of yarn! The standing lamp served as a spool while the kitchen faucet expelled a few excess strands of more outstanding, neon colors. His tail held up an arc of string, tangled about his horns. Sitting skewered on his antler points were a few spools of pastel colors, including the pink he sought!

The blaring roar of the foghorn rang his best tardiness to the affair in question. “Oh, that time already?” he held up his knitting needles and inspected the half done project. “Well I suppose I can cut to the chase!” He blinked and reached up to his antler, popping off the necessary color and would hold the ball of material in his left claw towards the work in progress.

Tossing the yarn like a snowball he would hit the sweater spot on and it would weave itself the last few yards to complete the sweater. He grabbed the newly knitted garment and pinched his claw’s digits into its, pulling from its center a ribbon and immediately wrapped it. With a proud scoff he cocked his head proudly. Tucking the wrapped gift away he popped from his realm. With a few jumps and hops he arrived!

Arrived where?!

Why Ponyville!

Where else? The spirit had an easier time being himself here as the ponies were used to his presence, often downright ignoring his inane games until they fell into the flow, most unknowingly. Down he settled into a float, it was easy enough to float to the parks that surrounded Ponevilly. They were far from private, public paths and ponies observing the unique flora and -- statues, ick -- took their day with ease. Even in the dead of winter there was no shortage of ponies in the promenades or sightseers in the sepia barked pines that released a fine scent into the air. Discord had invited a particular princess down for a cup of coffee and a stroll down the gardens since she seemed to be by and near aiding a certain Princess of Friendship during the festivities. Nothing like listening to carollers and setting off small poppers to spook them or alter their voices to make them work into reharmonizing! And nopony would suspect it him. Oh look… speak of the beast… The humble draconequus seated himself, a group of carollers not too far from his magical reach. A smirk would paint his features as he lowered his head.

wK6hzDAY_o.png

Image result for princess luna banner

Luna's quiet hooves moved through the thin layer of snow that covered the gardens. She had slipped off once she knew the party was going well enough. There had been a small magical mishap earlier in the evening but nothing she and Twilight couldn't handle. She smiled softly.

"Eggnog..." She mused. "An interesting drink to be sure..." She hadn't had nearly as many glasses as Twilight.

She could hear carols wafting through the night air. A breath escaped her muzzle and turned to mist before her. She glanced around, knowing he wouldn't be that hard to spot. He had promised her he would appear in his traditional form. Though she hoped that meant his serpentine body, she wondered if he would assume something else.

There, on the bench not far from the group of carolers sat the god of chaos himself. She felt her heart speed up in her chest at the sight of him. He made her feel, excited? Hopeful? 

The Princess moved forward lightly, her hooves hardly touching the ground until she was close behind him.

"Good evening,"

7jenQJa.png

The slinky spirit hadn't even time to roast his chestnuts, he had spent much of the day dutifully working on his surprise. He had already honed in on one of the carolers, his mischievous stare causing the group to become nervous and slip from their Harmonious tune on occasion. He hadn't even don't anything yet! But the god did take amusement and a measured pleasure in being able to simultaneously spook ponies and do little to cause them great concern. He was reformed after all, so any no do-goodery was quickly put on halt. His tail had been swaying from side to side, the white tuft at the end holding a threatening pose as if he was to snap the puff like he snapped his claws. The action always did cause to make trouble!

His ears perked upon hearing a cool, familiar tone. “Good evening!” He cheered, holding out a paw in greeting before floating right off his seat! “Well you're early!” He turned his right foreclaw’s wrist to display his sundial, which was for not as such an hour in the evening.

With winter arrived the moon rose to the sky much sooner, leaving him with more time to spend poking and prodding the night princess for playdates. At first it had just been cards on the balcony, but his visits seemed to get longer and longer as he tempted to distract her the whole of each night. One could almost pose the accusation that the spirit wanted her to slack off and get in trouble with her doing and often obstinate sister. Though between the two the timekeeper was actually Kibitz. That Butler could be mistook for an Time Wizard with how he kept the two moving to the seconds.

His paw opened, pulling up the stone bench for them to sit on. “Have a seat. I see you and Twilight managed today.” He patted the spot next to him.

There was to be no surprise that the seat was cold, but goodness the spirit needed a cooling down! He was stewing in his own fur and feathers at the mare’s approach. He promised himself it was simply the anticipation of presenting his surprise! His paw and claw clasped together as his hind legs dangled off the side of the beach in his sitting position. Those mismatched eyes drifted away from the mare and back to the carolers who seemed to jump in tone at his glance. He chuckled as the ones who seemed more used to his tomfoolery did only to roll their eyes at the disruption as they strongly continued on their singing.

“Stupendously merry are these festivities. If I didn't witness it for myself I would have labeled all ponies as selfish.” He was not wrong for his assumptions.

As a spirit of chaos he lived in a very grey world devoid of true measures of good and evil. Everything done were base accommodations of greet, gluttony and all the comparable points of a beast. Sometimes he did see ponies as beneath him, unable to surpass the bases of instinct with simple, critical thought. Sometimes he suffered the envious incline of wanting all that they had. Their love, their possessions, their leisure… wholly unattainable to him. While he could manifested anything he desired, with but the blink of his eye -- it meant little without the process of gains they seemed able to work towards with naught but kind words. His paw brushed up behind his mane, sproinging the tough tuft of fur that he kept short and stiff!

“So, why did you partake in this silly holiday?” Though give enough time rumor will place him near the center of a gift exchange. “You're a princess. Would you really care to get a gift from an admirer?” He smirked, brushing his paw digit along his muzzle.

The Princess of the Night had never been one for large crowds and parties. Sure she was getting better at her social interaction game but it still left her feeling tired and uncomfortable. Even without the fact that she had been imprisoned with not outside contact for ages she still would rather spend time with one or two others that she knew well than a gaggle of princess adoring fans.

She longed casually on the offered seat, not even noticing that it was cold. It was a side effect of being the watcher of the night hours. Cold did not register, at least not in a way that caused discomfort.

"Yes, indeed...today was...managed," She let a small smile hover on her muzzle. There had been some mishaps but it had turned out to be a success. The crystalline effect for the magical outburst had still not completely gone from her. Her features were still frosted by crystal glaze, giving her an even more shimmering appearance than usual. "The whole affair is not entirely done, though I have had my fill,"

He was not wrong in his statement, it was true. Ponies were selfish. Indeed few living things were not. She knew the selfish nature dwelt even inside of herself, though it had been quelled. The raging spirit of Nightmare Moon may have vanished but all her feelings had not left Luna's soul. Indeed deep in herself she longed for power, more than that of her sister. Perhaps a reason why she spent time with this serpent that seemed all too full of magical power and might. But it was not just that fact that attracted her to him.

"Why would one not want to partake?" She asked quietly while listening to the carollers missing notes while they watched their Princess taking her ease with Discord. "It is a tradition of this land and though I know much, I do enjoy learning more." She laughed then. "Yes, it is frivolous, but it can be fun..." she looked to the side. "I learned of something called 'eggnog' tonight,"

"As for receiving gifts?" She eyed him coyly. "I suppose that would have to do with who this admirer was,"

7jenQJa.png

So she too found the festivities of ponies peculiar. Such a giving holiday for ones that can be so selfish was an amusing concept. That was not to say he couldn’t be selfish on occasion, but it was always for a good cause -- he assured himself. Aside from the typical social faux pas that he so often partook in the spirit did seems to have caused little to no lasting trouble about the Equestrian citizens as of late. He had to hit the ground running, or in his case floating encased in a bubble of misery, to truly see that he had done something truly vile. He had the power to change the very fabric of existence, and yet he chose to fraternize with a wholly selfish creature who dared not seek friendship over his own means. Discord was selfish, but never had he ever pursued events he did not think would be ever more fun, at least after his freedom. Yes Tirek had humbled the spirit and caused him to question himself and the use of his powers. He may be teasing the carolers, but there were some among them that paid him no mind so it was all in good, teasing jest. Like a foal making faces in the window of a high brow affair.

He sputtered before pulling his paw around his face, forming a scarf that was patterned with polka dots and seemed aged and frayed.Peeking his muzzle from behind the worn fabric and pushed away the drumming sound that washed over the perplexing attractiveness of her voice. The way she agreed and disagreed with him, in the same word was endearing,. While she could see and engage in his opinion of the matter she felt her own way and had no qualms of finding a fondness in the paradoxical existence that was the pony presence. He looked to his toes, of both his talon and hoof. Wiggling them the beast’s paw and claw held onto his hind knees as he fiddled about in his mind the vast collection of meanings of this one moment. He perked up at the mention of eggnog.

“Ooh~ what a wonderful drink!” He gushed. “To think that ponies could create a delightful combination! It is like drinking cake!” And truly, it was, without all those messy crumbs. He tittered and looked to her face, only to catch her gaze.

His feathers and chest fluff floofed , well at least he only felt that bit against the scarf for little did he realize the entirety of his form had taken the likeness of a cottonweed with how he responded. It caused the carolers too pause, some titter. He stiffened, only for them to resume with the next song, moving on to fill another part of the park with their holiday music. It was now silent. Between them would only echo the sound of their breathing, snakes of warm vapor escaping the spirit’s muzzle, his crinkled beard peeking beneath the threaded fabric of the covering. Snow began to fall, but were the princess to take a second look they were actually flakes of cinnamon. Discord held out his paw and claw to her, cupped in his monstrous paws was a mug of warm eggnog. It seemed he tried to present her with something she enjoyed. While a bit silly, it was a wholesome courtesy of kindness only the spirit knew. To be able to create anything from nothing and attribute nothing to everything he tried his best to make good of his powers this time around.

He did only have one more chance.

His brows furrowed as his features dipped into a sad smile. “Um, Princess. If ever I may be so bold.” The drops of cinnamon rained down into the mug. “I know you must have many, as do I,” He added to lighten the air. “But could I perchance be your number one admirer?” He held out a little book, offering the mare a quill to obtain her autograph, smiles abound.

His every silly request hid something more … Were she to sign his little book the wrapped gift would pop up from the tome’s pages, a little fanfare of confetti following its appearance! But if she did not well the book would itself erupt into a rain of confetti and vanish altogether.

She suddenly felt warm. The cinnamon flakes swirling and their breath coming in wisps of mist. She wished she could snuggle up closer to him in the moment. Indeed she did scoot just a fraction closer as she used magic to levitate the offered drink to her lips.

"Thank you Discord," She took a sip or two and continued to levitate the drink. She smiled at him. A genuine smile. He made her feel, well, more complete. Maybe it was the fact the he could produce something out of nothing. It wasn't just for entertainment. She felt closer to him every time they spent time together. They had been spending quite a lot of time together, especially with the moon coming up so much earlier.

As he offered the autograph book she blinked. It was an odd request... even for him. 

"My number one admirer?" she mused. "There are many that would vie for that position," She took another sip. "But yes, I believe you might be my number one,"

She took the pen in her muzzle and scribed her name in his book...

7jenQJa.png

He didn't much take to the idea that there were others, though he could see those who admired her had fine tastes even if they were far out of their league! The spirit himself had not system to measure just what put a pony in or out of reach of another. The idea of coveting their company was a new concept in and of itself. It has also come to his attention that the more ponies willing to play a game the more willing they would be to participate of their own free will. It made it easier to impose rules and structure the game. He supposed it was more envy, even jealousy that carried weight to that thought. He was sure many of these admirers did, indeed, fancy the very things he did with her, but his reasons were his own.

The spirit seemed a jolly mess as the mare accepted his proposal. As she scrawled her name on what felt like a contract with the chaotic noodle the book floated up of its own volition and erupted in a blast of snowflake shaped confetti! A hint of vanilla wafted in the air as the flakes rained down. Those were actually edible and they were quite tasty! When the edible, glittering flakes dissipated in his paw and claw sat a soft package, a gift! It was wrapped in lovely paper that when shifted stars sparkled like in the night sky. The paper itself felt soft and crinkled whenever it was manipulated.

“Well I thought you would like this. I made it myself.” Half way. It was rightly difficult to recall if he was on knit or purl half the time.

Inside the wrapping paper was a hideously adorable sweater. To many this outfit was known as an ugly sweater, while to some... the cerulean blue sweater was three shades brighter than the night maiden’s fur. The bottom band and sleeve cuffs were a pastel pink. The chest of the sweater had the image of the full moon whilst the back the same waxing crescent mark as found on Luna's flank. He brushed his paw over his nose before looking away and waving his claw dismissively.

“Now it's no big deal. The front changes with the moon.” He explained. It would follow the moon phase while the back maintained the visage of her cutie mark. “But I can understand if you have fallen head over heels for me, but please understand what you're saying!” Ah the overdramatic prince.

But what was that he said? Falling for him? Could it be that was what he meant be number one admirer? After all the egotistical god of chaos had admitted to admiring another… so did that mean …? How could one be sure?!

Luna blushed as she levitated the gift to get a closer look. Her eyes lit up as he explained the moon changing phases. The gift was so charming to her. This was because he had made it himself. He hadn't just willed it into being as he could have done.

"Discord...I...," She paused, licking a vanilla flake off her nose. "I don't know what to say..." She really didn't. For some reason her heart had started to beat faster. This happened often enough when they were together. Usually it was because of some trill he had conjured, or some amazing view of a horizon shattering into the night. This time it was because...because...

"I...made something for you as well," She swallowed lightly, pushing the words she wanted to say away. 

Her horn began to glow softly. 

Around the neck of the chaotic Prince appeared a sparkling amulet on a platinum chain. She had made it herself so to speak. "It's a collection of star shine," She said quietly, her horn still glowing. "from countless nights. You can conjure it into multiple forms." Her magic caused the amulet to emit light in liquid form. It swirled around the two of them before returning to the amulet. "It's not much really, just something for you to well...play with?" She offered him a smile.

"Perhaps the God of Chaos wishes for a number one admirer as well?"

7jenQJa.png

The spirit was quite smug about his gift. She was stunned silent! Of course ponies would care for such gifts! Made by paw and a little magic it was something her personally pieced together! It was a gift rarely, never received. Oh he gave plenty, but his gifts were often attached to chaotic and magical consequences. This sweater? It kept her warm. No magic misdirection. No ineffective integration. Nor would one suffer from silly, sidetracking side effects. As the cinnamon flurry ceases the smug serpent was quite pleased with himself! He wiggled in place with his paw and claw on their respective knees. It was not until Luna spoke that his ears would raise from their folded position.

His smug smirk faded into a confused, quirked lip. “You made something--?” His paw pushed up to press against his chest, a bit unsure of how to take her response. “...for me? Oh surely you just!” Despite the very act part of the altruistic nature of the holiday, he found it -- improbable.

Oh and he hated improbability he couldn't control!

But at the same time…

When the item materialized around his neck he leaned back reactively. His first thought, of course, was that he was perhaps -- being played a prank on! And why wouldn't he? He often teased or made jest with the mare on occasion. It was natural to think that once his guard was down she would strike! N-not to say that his guard ever went down. Please! Preposterous! Her words caused him to settle as his paw has reached up to touch against the cool metal of the chain, head cocking to the side to peer down at the new accessory. His brows knitted as his expression softened. By now he had raised off the bench in his movements, his perpetual state of chaos taking hold once more as gravity was defied, even though he appeared to hold a seated position on a solid surface.

“Oh...well,” he chuckles, ears pinning back. “You're…” a real gift? The last time he received something so it has been the cruel joke of a tyrant, one he still felt deeply against. “A real gift?” To give was one measure of altruism, and fed his ego well to see ponies accept them, but to receive a gift…

He took a moment, raising his paw and claw to touch against it. Starlight, huh? A rather amusing gift from a Princess of the Night to a beast who often did to corrupt the wishes ponies sent to the stars above. Not that he meant harm no in his actions… but he understood it was something she had earnestly considered before presenting it to him. Be it out of an ironic joke or sincere regard. He could shape it? A toy? A gift…

He wiped his paw over his eyes, drying the tears lest they set into ice. “A number one, huh?” He looked to her with a grin. “You'll have Fluttershy to contest with that position, but perhaps you'd, instead, prefer to be my special somepony instead?” He folded his ears back, grinning at her.

Though in all honesty he didn't expect to be taken seriously. While his ego strong pushed that no pony could deny his charm, many did find him intolerable! What would she… think?

Archived